• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapstah

Some of the groups you can get through the Dungeon finder are ridicously bad, but I just had a ridicously good one. We left combat exactly three times in Halls of Lightning. That's right, we did five bosses in four combat phases. :O

Hixx

Freyjadour said:
Announcement at Blizzcon, LATE December earliest. I'm still floored that ICC's going to be the top raid instance for over a year.
It will be out late November. 6 more weeks of beta will be enough.

yacobod

Banned
Fularu said:
I tanked and killed her hardmode with the 5% buff without wearing a single piece of FR gear

As a tank, you just need ot get out of the ice blast when she ports everyone and you're fine.

especially easy for warriors since they can charge or intercept back in right before the the blast finishes casting and not take any damage, it really helps with not having her move around in phase 3

J-Rzez

They way they're doing things, that you actually need crafted gear and heroic items before raiding, I wouldn't doubt they let it out the door and use that extra two weeks or whatever to keep tuning the raids.

No way this game slips past the holiday season. Kotick would run into their offices with a bomb on his belt screaming "money is great" if that happens.

I'm just shocked how far behind they have fallen with the time windows on this game. I know they're incredibly slow, but this is even shocking to me of all people.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Are heroics going to be epics?

"In terms of tuning, we want groups to be able to jump into the first raids pretty quickly, but we also don’t want them to overshadow the Heroic 5-player dungeons and more powerful quest rewards. We’ll be designing the first few raid zones assuming that players have accumulated some blue gear from dungeons, crafted equipment, or quest rewards."

sounds like they want you to heroic for gear inbetween raiding.

Fularu

Banned
DeathNote said:

"In terms of tuning, we want groups to be able to jump into the first raids pretty quickly, but we also don’t want them to overshadow the Heroic 5-player dungeons and more powerful quest rewards. We’ll be designing the first few raid zones assuming that players have accumulated some blue gear from dungeons, crafted equipment, or quest rewards."

I seem to remember the intent of the first tier of raiding to be on par with the first heroics.

Judging by current beta testing, the 5 mans are BC levels of hard, so that's an interesting direction. I wouldn't be surprised if the same ilvl items drop from raids and heroics (at least for the first tier) or slightly on par.

DeathNote said:

Yeah, it's probably a good thing they make them back into rare gear. Keep the epic gear in raids like it was back in BC/Classic.

notworksafe

Sounds like a return to BC gearing, in a way. In BC there was some heroic gear that was awesome to get even compared to gear you'd get in Kara, and I used to do plenty of farming to get it. There was crafted and quest rewards that were really good as well. Basically Blizz wanted you to do a bit of everything before jumping into a raid.

I believe I'd even seen the return of dungeon sets somewhere, which is an other cool idea.

Azwethinkweiz said:
All previous heroics dropped rares for all but the final boss, which dropped an epic.

Yes and that's how the original WOTLK heroic ones are as well, I don't see how they;re going to get around not doing 'catch-up' heroics like ToChampion and Frozen Halls that drop all epics of significantly higher quality to let people get into raids quicker once we're several content patches into Cataclysm.

It's gone from Heroics > Naxx > Ulduar > ToCr > ICC

to

Heroics > ICC

Fularu

Banned
Squire Felix said:
does anyone know where mmo champion has disappeared too... : (
Clean your cache, the site is loading fine for me

KernelPanic said:
Yes and that's how the original WOTLK heroic ones are as well, I don't see how they;re going to get around not doing 'catch-up' heroics like ToChampion and Frozen Halls that drop all epics of significantly higher quality to let people get into raids quicker once we're several content patches into Cataclysm.

to

Heroics > ICC
They said that they wanted to reintroduce gradation in raids. As in, you wouldn'T be able to do heroics and then jump right into the latest tier of raiding.

notworksafe

KernelPanic said:

to

Heroics > ICC
Thank god for that too! In BC you still ended up having to go Heroics > ZA >SSC/TK > BT/Hyjal/SW at the end. It was a pain to recruit new raiders if you lost one in your 25M guild.

I'm assuming Blizz will make it so you can go Heroics > Deathwing Instance a month or two after that is out as well.

TUSR

Banned
Fularu said:
Clean your cache, the site is loading fine for me

They said that they wanted to reintroduce gradation in raids. As in, you wouldn'T be able to do heroics and then jump right into the latest tier of raiding.
Oh boy, thanks... I feel pretty dumb now.

notworksafe said:
Thank god for that too! In BC you still ended up having to go Heroics > ZA >SSC/TK > BT/Hyjal/SW at the end. It was a pain to recruit new raiders if you lost one in your 25M guild.

I'm assuming Blizz will make it so you can go Heroics > Deathwing Instance a month or two after that is out as well.

I don't know. I kinda like having some sort of gear progression in raids. Going from ICC heroics straight to ICC felt a little strange.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
HarryDemeanor said:
I don't know. I kinda like having some sort of gear progression in raids. Going from ICC heroics straight to ICC felt a little strange.
They are going to have that pve point system where the higher point tier converts into the lower each new gear tier release.

DarkJC

Fularu said:

I'd like to know where/when they said this because as far as I know this is the opposite of their intentions.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
DeathNote said:
If you already seen some of the new human models why did you ask?

Because you never mentioned NPC heroes in your post. I thought you were talking about player models.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
HixxSAFC said:
It will be out late November. 6 more weeks of beta will be enough.
I'm not so sure. There are a lot of content gaps.

firex

There's really not much left for them to test aside from Heroic Deadmines/SFK for dungeons, and the beginning raids. The thing is, they don't even have to push hard to test those in beta as long as their internal build shows the fights aren't bugged out.

Man I really hope the last little surprise before Cata launches is an overhaul of player character models, they're going to stick out so badly in the new environments, especially when stacked against all these new NPC ones.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
WyndhamPrice said:
Man I really hope the last little surprise before Cata launches is an overhaul of player character models, they're going to stick out so badly in the new environments, especially when stacked against all these new NPC ones.

It's a little bit late for updating player models for Cataclysm's launch. If they do that during this expansion, they will do it later, just like cat & bear forms.

dimb

firex said:
There's really not much left for them to test aside from Heroic Deadmines/SFK for dungeons, and the beginning raids. The thing is, they don't even have to push hard to test those in beta as long as their internal build shows the fights aren't bugged out.
Still sitting on four zones that need to be done, although some of these are somewhat implemented.

Still need female worgen at all.

Still a lot of jank all over the place that the old world didn't have that needs to come in check. A lot of areas in the world (in beta complete zones) feel completely empty and useless. They definitely have their work cut out for them if they're shooting for two months.
funkmastergeneral said:
Has anything surfaced about new racials yet?
Don't think they're going to happen. Some new quests reference old racials (like Dwarf treasure finding).

firex

Aurarian said:
Man, I don't think I'm ever gonna get a new shield. We did heroic lootship on ICC 10 man and that shield didn't drop again. In fact, no tank loot dropped the entire run last night. I've been stuck with Wall of Terror for over an year now. Maybe if we can get Blood Queen on heroic 25 down tonight...
tank/healer shields are such a pain to get. They really should add one to the badge (point in cata!) vendors with every new tier.
Dance In My Blood said:
Still sitting on four zones that need to be done, although some of these are somewhat implemented.

Still need female worgen at all.

Still a lot of jank all over the place that the old world didn't have that needs to come in check. A lot of areas in the world (in beta complete zones) feel completely empty and useless. They definitely have their work cut out for them if they're shooting for two months.

Don't think they're going to happen. Some new quests reference old racials (like Dwarf treasure finding).
I'm betting that most of these things are already in an internal build and we just haven't seen them yet. Aside from female worgen, which I think are pretty much done for furry fetishists but haven't been revealed yet.

dimb

firex said:
tank/healer shields are such a pain to get. They really should add one to the badge (point in cata!) vendors with every new tier.

I'm betting that most of these things are already in an internal build and we just haven't seen them yet. Aside from female worgen, which I think are pretty much done for furry fetishists but haven't been revealed yet.
I just don't think it's as close as some people are making it out to be. If this comes out this year I guarantee shit is going to be messed up all over the place. Like, really messed up.

The leveling difficulty is way off (super hard and fun/frustrating 1-9, stupid easy one shot kills after you hit 10 and beyond), and some of the classes have just gone down the complete wrong road. Warriors just feel...bad to play. Like the mechanics are all opposing each other and out of whack without any overarching structure to them.

On a more positive note the new Silverpine is absurdly good though, from what I just came off of.

markot

Banned
I wish Gnome lvling was more then 1-6 >.<

All of Gnomer should have been turned into a zone for em!

And I dont think it means they are behind schedule. I dont think they have schedules to get behind with >_>!

I had the blue proto drake drop tonight. I'm not really interested in that sort of thing and had no idea what it was (have only been in there a few times). I thought it must just be a common one like in stratholme, and i ended up just clicking greed.

I asked my guild about it and most of the responses i got pretty much consisted of 'ffffuuuuccck':lol .

Shame cause i do like the design of the protodrakes and i would like to have one. Guess i ought to wait and see what everyone else rolls on drops im unsure of.

Fularu

Banned
AdventureRacing said:
I had the blue proto drake drop tonight. I'm not really interested in that sort of thing and had no idea what it was (have only been in there a few times). I thought it must just be a common one like in stratholme, and i ended up just clicking greed.

I asked my guild about it and most of the responses i got pretty much consisted of 'ffffuuuuccck':lol .

Shame cause i do like the design of the protodrakes and i would like to have one. Guess i ought to wait and see what everyone else rolls on drops im unsure of.
Always roll need on mounts you don't have. Everyone will be doing it..

And then some people who already have it will need it anyway to prevent you from getting it :p (unless they fixed it and grey out the need button)

Aurarian

Last night was probably one of the worst raiding experiences I had, I was dcing ever 30 seconds or so while we were trying to take down heroic saurfang(I'm a tank). I feel like I'm holding us back with my internet connection. Not to mention I didn't get any upgrades. I don't know what to do. I'm barely 50ft from my router and it can't broadcast a decent signal. I've tried port forwarding and even moving my receiver closer to the router with lengthy USB cables. My only options at this point is to either get a seperate line for my room or run at least 50-60 feet of cable throughout the house to my PC so I can hardwire it to my router.
/rant

Hoping to get my druid alt into outlands by the end of the week. I really like being a kitty, so fun! This is the first alt I've ever gotten to this point. I generally hate leveling new characters and give up by the time I get to STV.

firex

Fularu said:
Always roll need on mounts you don't have. Everyone will be doing it..

And then some people who already have it will need it anyway to prevent you from getting it :p (unless they fixed it and grey out the need button)
I think with mounts they automatically pass if you have the mount. maybe I'm just thinking of the bronze drake though (since everybody gets that one).

Flib

firex said:
I think with mounts they automatically pass if you have the mount. maybe I'm just thinking of the bronze drake though (since everybody gets that one).

They only automatically pass if you have the mount in your bag (i.e. you don't have epic flying yet). Once you use the mount item, you can roll on it again.

WyndhamPrice said:
I'm just going to completely cover my human warlock in cloaks and hoods so I can look at the fantastic armor models.

There's just no way we're getting new models. Because even with my character decked out in shiny, new gear, she's still going to have the same old animations. I believe that would the hardest thing to revamp for all of the old school models.

argh rare proto-drake mounts :(

I just missed out on the time-lost proto drake by 30 seconds a week ago ...

I've never seen the blue one drop ever ... hopefully my egg hatches the green one (yeah right).

Sciz

Aurarian said:
Last night was probably one of the worst raiding experiences I had, I was dcing ever 30 seconds or so while we were trying to take down heroic saurfang(I'm a tank). I feel like I'm holding us back with my internet connection. Not to mention I didn't get any upgrades. I don't know what to do. I'm barely 50ft from my router and it can't broadcast a decent signal. I've tried port forwarding and even moving my receiver closer to the router with lengthy USB cables. My only options at this point is to either get a seperate line for my room or run at least 50-60 feet of cable throughout the house to my PC so I can hardwire it to my router.
/rant
I spent a while trying all sorts of ways to boost transmission and reception from my router (in one corner of the house) to my PC (in the other corner). Ended up spending $15 on a 100ft ethernet cable and ran it through the attic. The difference in speed and stability has ensured that I will never again bother with a home wireless network.

Blizzard said:
Prime glyphs aren't going to be exciting in a "change up your rotation" style. We want primes to be unambiguous dps (etc.) increases so we figured they might as well be easy to understand rather than something so convoluted that everyone would just go to a fansite to see which 3 to pick.

The majors are more interesting, because they are either not dps increases at all, or dps increases in ways that are tricky to math out. We think players will debate and geek out more about which majors to use, and with the new glyph design, swapping them out once in awhile isn't very painful.

Minors are basically convenience or fun.

We don't want glyphs to change rotations. We feel that was a mistake in LK. Talents should affect your rotations, and glyphs should just provide a little bit of customization and power. We fixed some class problems with glyphs in LK, which was an easy solution to do at the time, but now is the time to undo all of that and let the classes stand on their own without the glyphs.

I'm not sure I agree with this. I can understand wanting to keep it simple, but like someone else said, if you're going to have 3 glyphs that we're always going to have with no variation, and none of them have any effect on the rotation... couldn't we just stick with minor/major glyphs, and just remove the prime glyphs entirely?

First, it would be a weird world in which a warrior say could glyph Charge and Battle Shout but not Mortal Strike. It might make sense to savvy players who thought through it, but I'd wager you'd also see a lot of "Why don't they make glyphs that affect the buttons I care most about? Blizzard is dumb." (And to be clear, the point of that is not to defend ourselves against agitated forum posters, but that if something in the game is confusing like that in can get in the way of having fun.)

Second, gaining power when you level up is fun. Hitting a milestone where you get a noticeable damage bonus is fun. There is also some mildly interesting decisions about which prime glyph to use first. In other words, don't view everything through the lens of the maximum level player.

Third, not everything in the game needs to be a nail-biting decision. We don't for example really want Fury warriors to stress about whether to choose Raging Blow or not, nor we do we make it particularly challenging to choose your weapon enchant. Sometimes easy decisions make players feel more comfortable rather than every potential decision having a host of invisible pitfalls. This isn't an issue of catering to the dumb players -- it's more about there being a few safe places in the game. [I feel nearly certain after re-reading that paragraph that it's going to be hard to understand and I will end up having to clarify it for months to come.]

Finally, I'd argue that the popular glyphs on live today already were the no brainers because in most cases they led to a consistent dps increase (for dps specs of course). When everyone uses those glyphs, then you aren't making some interesting decision about how to use your abilities -- you're just doing what every other warrior out there is doing. The only way to deviate from that is to have two glyphs that affect your primary abilities in two totally different but equal ways. That's a very tall order, because more than likely we'll end up having to constantly adjust around that. "Encounter #4 in Grim Batol is unfair to warriors who use the Glyph of Furious Mortal Strikes instead of the Glyph of Meaty Mortal Strikes." What I mean is that we end up having to support multiple play styles within one tree. We're willing to do that to a limited extent (the TG vs. SMF Fury warrior for example, or the FFB mage), but it's hard enough to develop 1-2 viable rotations per spec. We don't want every important glyph bifurcating that rotation even more.

Total bullshit by Blizzard. The min-maxers are still going to find the best glyphs to use for raiding, and many of them will be left unused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom