• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flib

The difference is with the new glyph system, you learn them once and can them switch them in and out. There are many glyphs I currently don't use because they're so situational and I don't want to switch for a single encounter, but I can see myself doing so under this system.

ampere

funkmastergeneral said:
Total bullshit by Blizzard. The min-maxers are still going to find the best glyphs to use for raiding, and many of them will be left unused.
At least they're trying?
I too think there will certainly be 'best' major glyphs. He said hard to math out, not impossible :p

Flib said:
The difference is with the new glyph system, you learn them once and can them switch them in and out. There are many glyphs I currently don't use because they're so situational and I don't want to switch for a single encounter, but I can see myself doing so under this system.
It's nice for that yes. It's a bummer for easy money making from inscription.

notworksafe

ciaossu said:
It's nice for that yes. It's a bummer for easy money making from inscription.
Scribes are getting some cool stuff. They seem to have the ability to make recipes for other professions, off hand items, and other little toys and buffs.

Fularu

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
Total bullshit by Blizzard. The min-maxers are still going to find the best glyphs to use for raiding, and many of them will be left unused.
Diferent glyphs for different purposes.

Some are great for leveling but awfull for raiding or pvping, and so on. Most glyphs actualyl end up used at one time or another.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Flib said:
Agreed; I really like the idea myself. Switching between specs/PvP, etc. requires a lot of tweaking beyond simply just switching around gear/spec. Switching glyphs often means a trip back to the AH where you're just at the mercy of whatever the scribes feel like charging on a given day.

Presumably the new glyphs will just cost a lot more to make under this system so Scribes can make better money off them.

JesseZao

I could see them using the new glyph system as a new way to gate raid progression. Like you beat the first wing and complete a quest to unlock a new glyph pattern that requires a raid drop to make. Then using the glyph, some or all classes can negate some boss abilty or allow the successful engaging of a new boss.

Probably too out there :/

Edit: to clarify i.e. the glyphs would augment a spell to dispel some immunity the boss has, or allow a spell to interact with the environment to produce a platform to fight the boss on, or change a water spell into a spew sludge spell to clog a drqin pipe, etc. Some unique ability added to a class spell to allow a raid to successfully fight a boss.

I suppose they could just make normal spells do this action, but with glyphs able to swap now it could be cool.

Sciz

JesseZao said:
Then using the glyph, some or all classes can negate some boss abilty or allow the successful engaging of a new boss.

That's not even close to the design intent behind glyphs.

notworksafe

JesseZao said:
I could see them using the new glyph system as a new way to gate raid progression. Like you beat the first wing and complete a quest to unlock a new glyph pattern that requires a raid drop to make. Then using the glyph, some or all classes can negate some boss abilty or allow the successful engaging of a new boss.

Wait, what? The ability to progress in a raid would totally rely on the RNG? That's probably not a good call. The quest part seems cool, but maybe just keep it separate from glyphs. I like them being modifications for spells.

JesseZao

notworksafe said:
Wait, what? The ability to progress in a raid would totally rely on the RNG? That's probably not a good call. The quest part seems cool, but maybe just keep it separate from glyphs. I like them being modifications for spells.
Well I would see it as a part of the quest, so maybe the final boss in the wing drops it or something. A way that makes you finish an area before you can try the next area.

It would have nothing to do with the "glyph design," it would just open up a new interesting way (imo) to progress through raids.

JesseZao said:
Well I would see it as a part of the quest, so maybe the final boss in the wing drops it or something. A way that makes you finish an area before you can try the next area.

It would have nothing to do with the "glyph design," it would just open up a new interesting way (imo) to progress through raids.

I didn't think Blizzard was too keen on these kind of raid progression items anymore, hence we don't see stuff like Aqual quintessence anymore.

Rapstah

Let's say Cataclysm had a progression model where you'd have to beat a couple of important-to-lore heroics and entry-level raids before you were allowed to enter the highest level of content and then there was a vendor that sold BOA tokens that let you up to your main's level of progression.

Would this promote groups for the heroics and raids in question?

J-Rzez

JesseZao said:

Naw, they're glyphs. They're not going to treat them like Resist gear, and if they did that'd be lame. They're there to help you do things you do better, and apparently to help "customize" your character a bit.

They'll gate content, cheaply and artificially extending it no different than they have been. The bosses just won't show up, or, you can't enter said doors/portal to carry on.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
JesseZao said:

Edit: to clarify i.e. the glyphs would augment a spell to dispel some immunity the boss has, or allow a spell to interact with the environment to produce a platform to fight the boss on, or change a water spell into a spew sludge spell to clog a drqin pipe, etc. Some unique ability added to a class spell to allow a raid to successfully fight a boss.

I suppose they could just make normal spells do this action, but with glyphs able to swap now it could be cool.
That sounds suspiciously similar to resist-gear raid-blocks.

Rapstah said:
Let's say Cataclysm had a progression model where you'd have to beat a couple of important-to-lore heroics and entry-level raids before you were allowed to enter the highest level of content and then there was a vendor that sold BOA tokens that let you up to your main's level of progression.

What you're referring to is almost identical to "attunements," i.e. the Drakefire Amulet you used to need to get into Onyxia's Lair.

JesseZao

Rapstah said:

Yeah that would work. Maybe you get it via a quest the first time, then you can just buy a BoA version for a premium for your alts.

notworksafe

Rapstah said:

I believe so. We used to have a lot of 10m guild runs of UBRS when that was required for BWL. We also ran Black Morass and the other dungeons you needed to get into Kara (SV and Shadow Labs? Can't remember.). And of course there was a lot of the required SSC and Hyjal runs to get people into BT.

So yes, people would do those dungeons/raids more. Would they like it? I'm not so sure...

notworksafe said:
I do miss some of the old raid attunement quest chains. I wish those would be brought back.

If Blizzard wants to gate content, they should just do it and not make people jump through all sorts of hoops like they did in Classic and BC.

J-Rzez

KernelPanic said:
If Blizzard wants to gate content, they should just do it and not make people jump through all sorts of hoops like they did in Classic and BC.

I'd rather they did attunements than gating Raids. That wing shit in ICC was annoying, and ToC was the epitome of bad game design.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
KernelPanic said:

Yeah, I can do without the attunements. They just feel like needless time sinks. Just lock up the joint if you don't want players going in there for a while.

notworksafe

KernelPanic said:

Mr Nash said:
Yeah, I can do without the attunements. They just feel like needless time sinks. Just lock up the joint if you don't want players going in there for a while.
See J-Rzez, this is why Blizz did what they did for ToC/ICC. People prefer arbitrarily locked content over questing. I don't agree with it...but I get why Blizz changed.

yacobod

Banned
i bought a 25m heroic prot token in a GDKP run last night for 15k, pot was 7k, so all in all 8k for the token, not sure if i will grab a prot or fury 277 piece

notworksafe said:
See J-Rzez, this is why Blizz did what they did for ToC/ICC. People prefer arbitrarily locked content over questing. I don't agree with it...but I get why Blizz changed.

Don't get me wrong I love questing.

Having to do some long drawn out quest just to gain access to content is silly. Needing the rest of your guild to do the same just makes it more painful. Everyone knows they're just trying to gate the content so why hide it ? They're not fooling anyone. As someone said, it's an obvious, needless timesink. Same thing with 'unkillable' bosses that are magically fixed and suddenly beatable one day (ie. Ragnaros).

What they did inside Frozen Halls is great in terms of attunement, ie. a quest inside the instance.

The attunements are just carryovers from EQ anyway where they were even more painful (ie. camp some mob that appears once a month).

notworksafe

Yeah I suppose. I just liked the lore from the quests. Onyxia especially was awesome as Alliance.

Until we killed that dragon bitch and I still saw Lady Prestor every time I went into SW Keep. :lol

J-Rzez

notworksafe said:

Oh I know some people would rather the simpler way of things, but it's really the only way to possibly get people to do older content, opposed to having it wasted. Now, what I think they should do is not make it so one person has a key, nor that everyone needs to be attuned. I think that say for a 10-man for example, you need to have 5-6 members "attuned" to be able to "channel" something to unlock a door perhaps, or click on different key locks, something like that.

I think that was terrible what they did with ToC though, absolutely terrible at that. I'd rather be able to work on the whole raid at once, not being artificially restrained by stupid non-sense like locked wing doors or "bosses" not appearing.

At least get a little bit of work there for your guild to do together. Put some more value on guilds.

Flib

I'm ok with gating content as long as only one person needs the thing to unlock the gate (i.e. the key to Eye of Eternity which dropped off Sapphiron).

notworksafe

The Horde version required like three UBRS (and a few LBRS ones as well, iirc) runs, while the Alliance one required one or two.

It's been a while so forgive me if my memory is a bit off.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Seems like Zul'Gurub is a lock to come back in some form. Either 5 man heroic or as a revamped raid.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
notworksafe said:
Well it's already confirmed to be a quest zone for 30-35, but I wouldn't be shocked if it had a 5 man as well.
Ah, my bad. Just finished the quest chain that dips into there and they said you'd come back when you were stronger. Didn't realize it would be just a few levels away. It isn't really a "zone" for 30-35 but some of the STV quests warp you in there it looks like.

Rapstah

I would be testing 80-83 with my Warlock right now if it wasn't for the game insisting on crashing from everything. Nowadays it just crashes from launching it, before I get to log in, but it used to crash from downloading stuff through the streaming launcher. :(

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
Ah, my bad. Just finished the quest chain that dips into there and they said you'd come back when you were stronger. Didn't realize it would be just a few levels away. It isn't really a "zone" for 30-35 but some of the STV quests warp you in there it looks like.
That's what we call a subzone :p

firex

JesseZao said:

This would never happen in the current design. Like, ever, at all.

Angry Grimace

JesseZao said:
Except that I'm suggesting an active ability, not a passive one.
I guess, but I'm don't think it's functionally different at all to resist gear; resist gear did essentially exactly what you're suggesting in the same way; it negating the ability of some attack to instantly kill you.

The problem with resist fights was nobody appreciated the artificial farmgrind cockblock, and I don't think any one would like that method much more since its essentially the same idea.

Question for beta testers: Are they smoothing out the gear level curve from Vanilla zones to Cataclysm zones? Although I appreciated how you felt more powerful walking into Outland, it really felt kind of ridiculous going from 300-400 dps to literally 1000+ (depending on class, of course) in one level.

Just watched the new intros for all the races for Cataclysm...Some interesting stuff and some...Not so interesting, and lame stuff. Not that any of it really makes a difference to anything but lore whores like me but...I don't know.

Lain

Can you guys suggest to me a good alternative map mod to use in place of Cartographer?
I've restarted playing a bit and I'd like to find a map mod that will let me do two of the things cartographer did, being able to remove the fog if I so wish and making the map windowed and movable, but looking on curse seems kind of problematic finding what I'm looking for.

EDIT: Also, looking around a bit, I've seen that they are changing all the talents and stuff for cataclysm... where is the best location I can read some in-depth stuff about the changes without having to hunt down most of the information?

thatbox

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
Are they smoothing out the gear level curve from Vanilla zones to Cataclysm zones? Although I appreciated how you felt more powerful walking into Outland, it really felt kind of ridiculous going from 300-400 dps to literally 1000+ (depending on class, of course) in one level.
No. Cata blues are outlandishly better than ICC 25 heroic gear.

Duki

Banned
does the 4x monster damage or whatever affect soloing old dungeons?

or is it really easy now in cata gear?

want to solo me up sum mounts

firex

I think he's talking about redone 1-58 zone rewards compared to outland rewards.

and I haven't seen all of them, but wowhead has a database of some of the rewards, and they're good. they at least come closer to the outland levels of stuff solely because there's no more terrible spread of stats.

Tacitus_

Lain said:
EDIT: Also, looking around a bit, I've seen that they are changing all the talents and stuff for cataclysm... where is the best location I can read some in-depth stuff about the changes without having to hunt down most of the information?

MMO-champion propably has most of what you're looking for in their news posts. If you want to dig in deeper, check out Elitist Jerks. They're the guys who tell you why you should spec this way to maximize your dps/tps/hps.

Rapstah

What's the name of that add-on that checks for potential item upgrades? I think I've heard it mentioned in this thread a couple of times. I could've also completely misunderstood the addon's usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom