• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

markot

Banned
I had a similarish thing happen to me in tanaris >.< a hunter was chasing me then was suddenly ahead of me...

It was so weird that the only thing that could have explained it was hax... but I beat him so I figured he would have hacked that too >.>...

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
yeah a lot of shady shit happens in the game sometimes.

another weird thing was this hunter that had 38k health that i killed and then while he was DEAD he was moving around with his corpse. He was dead. And he was sliding around and jumping up and down like it was nothing. then he finally released.

Cipherr

Some of the Dark Simulacrum videos are hilarious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flmC1bBd0nI

A spell that does 70% of the targets life. Not to mention a Shadowformed, Frost Armored, Fel Hunter, Soul-linked, DK with Windfury and Seal of Command on his 2h, with Heroism up spamming GODDAMN BATTLEREZZES on his nearby fallen allies might be a bit much. Gonna be nerfed to death, but fun to look at though lol.

Okay, so death knights get an ability to be freaking Peter Petrelli, and warriors get a targeted charge with a thunder clap.

Ooooooooookay.

SiegfriedFM said:
Okay, so death knights get an ability to be freaking Peter Petrelli, and warriors get a targeted charge with a thunder clap.

Ooooooooookay.

Hey, at least the warrior ability is useful. The shaman level 85 ability doesn't do anything at all for enhancement!

Ashodin

funkmastergeneral said:
Hey, at least the warrior ability is useful. The shaman level 85 ability doesn't do anything at all for enhancement!
Which is nothing to say that the Guardian of Ancient Kings does only 1K hit for Ret on a 2.5 second swing timer. GARBAGE.

Tacitus_

Number balance ISN'T DONE YET. Sheesh, the blues only post it once a week.

Also, got HC Putricide down. Raid felt so depressed that it took so long that we didn't even screenshot it.

Tacitus_

notworksafe said:
Got any tips? We're doing it for the first time on Saturday.

Loads of practice. Especially for ferrying the plague debuff.
Soak the green ooze at its spawn location. Use pets to always soak the damage from the explosion. Try to use only melee to soak the damage, aim for 10 players to soak it. Even if you could get to transition before the first gas cloud spawns, don't - your abo won't have enough energy for two slows. DONT GET HIT BY STUPID STUFF (= Goo, gas bomb). Priests with Rapture (I think? the talent that gives rage/energy/rp) and druids with the equivalent should use their spells on the abo since it gets energy from the procs. If you can't drop the plague on a clean guy, drop it on a debuffed guy if you have to drop it off so you won't die (~roughly 10-12 secs into getting the plague)

More practice.

Ashodin

Tacitus_ said:
Number balance ISN'T DONE YET. Sheesh, the blues only post it once a week.

Also, got HC Putricide down. Raid felt so depressed that it took so long that we didn't even screenshot it.
Bitching makes them take notice. see: real id

Macattk15

Puncture said:
Some of the Dark Simulacrum videos are hilarious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flmC1bBd0nI

A spell that does 70% of the targets life. Not to mention a Shadowformed, Frost Armored, Fel Hunter, Soul-linked, DK with Windfury and Seal of Command on his 2h, with Heroism up spamming GODDAMN BATTLEREZZES on his nearby fallen allies might be a bit much. Gonna be nerfed to death, but fun to look at though lol.

Lol that is a guild mate of mine. How random for someone to randomly see a video of someone I know.

Lolligag

davepoobond said:
yeah a lot of shady shit happens in the game sometimes.

another weird thing was this hunter that had 38k health that i killed and then while he was DEAD he was moving around with his corpse. He was dead. And he was sliding around and jumping up and down like it was nothing. then he finally released.
The moving corpse thing is rather common. Never had it happen to my self, since I generally instantly release, but I've had guildies get it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Maxrpg said:
Which is nothing to say that the Guardian of Ancient Kings does only 1K hit for Ret on a 2.5 second swing timer. GARBAGE.
Balancing is a matter of changing some numbers though. I think they're more interested in seeing whether or not the Guardian hits anything at all, or dies from incidental things, or just stands there i.e. things that they literally programmed incorrectly, before they worry about that.

Seems like Cataclsym's launch window is very similar to Wrath's so far. For what it's worth, I think so far Cataclsym sounds much more interesting than Wrath did. The one thing I think people really miss about Vanilla when they wax nostalgic about it isn't the gameplay itself, but how everything in the game felt "new" and exciting. That's what I like about what I'm seeing so far; the fact that my wife and I feel excited about the whole game again, instead of just whatever is being tacked onto the upper level stuff.

The only thing I wish they could do is find a way to make old raids relevant again beyond just "I got an achievement." I don't have any more elegant solutions to that problem than Blizzard does, though. Perhaps they should just find a way to convert all of those old raids into 5 man leveling dungeons :lol (That would actually be an interesting idea if it weren't so implausible; it does feel like you're missing the "story" of vanilla/wrath/BC if you never do Tempest Keep/SWP/etc.)

Tacitus_

Maxrpg said:
Bitching makes them take notice. see: real id

Like Grimace said, they're still in the phase where they check if it's coded properly and where it should fit in your rotation.

They won't tune the numbers until they feel the spell itself is functional and the lvl 85 quest rewards and dungeon drops are in so they can get some non theorical data on DPS and rotations.

Ashodin

Angry Grimace said:
The one thing I think people really miss about Vanilla when they wax nostalgic about it isn't the gameplay itself, but how everything in the game felt "new" and exciting. That's what I like about what I'm seeing so far; the fact that my wife and I feel excited about the whole game again, instead of just whatever is being tacked onto the upper level stuff.
Which is what they're going for - if you actually look hard at the end-game content, there's not much there (ala Wrath) but the 1-60 changes (because of new races, no doubt) and the streamlining of the entire game as a whole is VERY appealing. Which is why I'll be leveling a:

Blood Elf Warrior
Troll Druid
Goblin Shaman (or maybe rogue...)

I want to experience the new shit!

ezekial45

Banned
Maxrpg said:
Which is what they're going for - if you actually look hard at the end-game content, there's not much there (ala Wrath) but the 1-60 changes (because of new races, no doubt) and the streamlining of the entire game as a whole is VERY appealing. Which is why I'll be leveling a:

Blood Elf Warrior
Troll Druid
Goblin Shaman (or maybe rogue...)

I want to experience the new shit!

I'm holding down the goblin shaman too! I can't resist seeing all the fly through videos of the revisited areas and some of the new areas.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
1-60 was an amazing experience. First mmo experience.

The simple things were great. After we got done with the undead starting area my friend lead me on this long journey to a place called the barrens. Just making that trek was amazing.

ezekial45

Banned
DeathNote said:
1-60 was an amazing experience. First mmo experience.

The simple things were great. After we got done with the undead starting area my friend lead me on this long journey to a place called the barrens. Just making that trek was amazing.

A friend and I had a similar experience, back in 2005. We were both human alliance and we did not know about Ironforge so we both walked through each area between Stormwind and Ironforge. It took a while but seeing the scenery for the first time was great. Going through deadmines the first time and seeing how a mean looking Tauren scales to human height was also unforgettable. :D

C.Dark.DN

Banned
ezekial45 said:
A friend and I had a similar experience, back in 2005. We were both human alliance and we did not know about Ironforge so we both walked through each area between Stormwind and Ironforge. It took a while but seeing the scenery for the first time was great. Going through deadmines the first time and seeing how a mean looking Tauren scales to human height was also unforgettable. :D
Seeing red alliance names on a pvp server for the first time was a rush.

Man, for me at least, a lot of this is credited to first mmo experience rather than wow. I wont be as amazed at a lot of the neat things about MMO's in in future MMO's.

McNei1y

A memory I remember in my first times of wow (first mmo too) was when I started my first character, A Tauren Druid. It took me about an hour to get to level 6 :lol...

Anyway, I was running out of the starting camp towards Bloodhoof. I then see in general chat. [3. Thunder Bluff is under attack!]

I had no idea what anything was except the fact that I was on a PVP server. I thought they were around me and were going to kill me in a matter of seconds. It was pretty awesome. A good rush. Ahh.. The times of being a noob. So worth it.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Gotta love first-month WoW memories.

Hitting level 40 for the first time is pretty much a highlight for a lot of people. Having to pay 100g to get a mount during that economy was not very fun. I think the biggest highlight for me was doing Maraudon for the first time, and the release of BGs. Sucked big time if you wanted to play them pre-Warmasters though, flying to Crossroads or getting to Tarren Mill & Hammerfall to queue up for them were less than enjoyable no matter where you were located.

I still remember when Honor was patched in and Crossroads was raped beyond measure. TM vs SS battles lasted for hours. That whole week you couldn't step anywhere without the flight master being dead and a town full of unreleased corpses and skeletons.

Did normal HoR this morning right before server maintenance (took over 30 minutes to get a group going), and I've been running this solely for that shield, since it's the last pre-raid item i can get basically. It finally drops and a holy paladin rolls need on it after staring at it for 2 minutes. Was so annoyed.

What is it with people just taking whatever they can get their hands on? I mean, I have dual spec, but my main spec is prot and it's what I enjoy doing. I just don't see the point in taking gear over someone else if it isn't for my main spec. Sure I could roll on healing gear and dps gear simply because I'm a paladin, but it would just sit in the bank. That's retarded.

I called the healer out on it and the guy said, "I can tank" as if that one fact should give him the privilege of rolling on everything and anything. Was so mad. I wanted to leave the group, but it wouldn't have been fair to the others, so I finished it.

RickD

I've just started playing this. Resisted for a long time (probably because i was put off by playing FFXI), but started playing free EQ2 and found out WOW had a free trial as well so went to find out what that was like.

After about 5 days of my trial i ordered the Battle Chest with the first two in, figured i'd give it a month and see how i got on then maybe get WOLK as well.

Surprisingly im really enjoying it; although the depth to which people talk about it and the raiding is a bit daunting, im slowly getting my head round things and making a bit of gold on the AH.

Currently playing a Human Paladin Ret. And decided to have a play with a hunter last night so created a night elf(?) hunter.

Not going Kickboxing tonight for a change so Im going to have a crack at the dungeon finder i think; as i've just levelled my Paladin upto 21. Im not that bothered about playing with others at the moment, but i guess i'd miss a big part of the game if i didn't give it a try.

I picked a bad month though as Civ 5 is out this month. I expect to be divorced by November :lol

Dunlop

Deputy Moonman said:
Did normal HoR this morning right before server maintenance (took over 30 minutes to get a group going), and I've been running this solely for that shield, since it's the last pre-raid item i can get basically. It finally drops and a holy paladin rolls need on it after staring at it for 2 minutes. Was so annoyed.

Finally got that damn shield last night, after having it ninja'd once as well when it had previously dropped between my MANY HoR runs.

That instance is just a clusterf*ck, brutally long to queue for (as a tank, must be crazy for DPS) and the abundance of plate filled classes dropping after the first or second boss when their item does not drop.

So glad to finally be free of it :D

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Lolligag said:
The moving corpse thing is rather common. Never had it happen to my self, since I generally instantly release, but I've had guildies get it.

is it a hack or a bug in the game? i've been playing for 2 years and this is the first time i saw it.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Dunlop said:
Finally got that damn shield last night, after having it ninja'd once as well when it had previously dropped between my MANY HoR runs.

That instance is just a clusterf*ck, brutally long to queue for (as a tank, must be crazy for DPS) and the abundance of plate filled classes dropping after the first or second boss when their item does not drop.

So glad to finally be free of it :D

It might sound crazy, but i bet the queue for reg HOR is longer for tanks than DPS. Since DPS dont want anything in there, yet tanks needs both the cloak AND shield there, since they are the best you can get pre-raids. Although you could argue about the cloak and just do heroics until you have 50 frost emblems for the 264 tanking cloak.

Getting them ninjaed by some plate DPS class sure sucks, but at least you still get triumph emblems. Getting the Black Heart ninjaed in reg TOC sucks more because you dont get any emblems in there.

LowParry

Bisnic said:
It might sound crazy, but i bet the queue for reg HOR is longer for tanks than DPS. Since DPS dont want anything in there, yet tanks needs both the cloak AND shield there, since they are the best you can get pre-raids. Although you could argue about the cloak and just do heroics until you have 50 frost emblems for the 264 tanking cloak.

Getting them ninjaed by some plate DPS class sure sucks, but at least you still get triumph emblems. Getting the Black Heart ninjaed in reg TOC sucks more because you dont get any emblems in there.

Not unless you're a DK tank. :D That's one less item.

CcrooK said:
Not unless you're a DK tank. :D That's one less item.

Yeah :D

I've taken the DK that I made at WOTLK launch out of retirement and it's been fun tanking. No problems at all and I've done frost and blood spec. I was worried about AE threat as most pug DK tanks struggle with it.

It's much more 'busy' compared to my bear and Prot Pally but it's the last tank class I've yet to play.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Bisnic said:

As a DPS DK... I ran that instance countless times trying to get the DPS boots from the chest. So many asshole tanks leaving after the first 2 bosses. Then no tank wanting to join to help us beat the last one. There's quite a bit of other 232 gear in the chest too. http://www.wowhead.com/object=201710#contains:mode=heroic One of the highly sought after pieces of tank loot should be on the last boss. I was at the point where I wanted to master loot the instance and give them their shit at the end. It's the only ICC 5 man I had people leave after a boss kill.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
davepoobond said:
is it a hack or a bug in the game? i've been playing for 2 years and this is the first time i saw it.
bug for the majority. if someone figured out how to repeat it, then an exploit for some.

Dunlop

Bisnic said:

I have a comparable cloak that dropped in Uld Hardmode (BoE, got it with my kingslayer priest), for the life of me cannot remember what it is called. My tank is pretty green and I just used my first 60 frost for the tanking trinket as I also have run a bunch of Heroic PoS and yet have never had the tanking trinket drop.

I agree that these drops should have been at the end of the fight.

My guild seems to have fizzled in attendance for raids since dropping the LK in 25 man pretty much giving me no reason to play on my priest. So now is time to figure out if this Pally is ready for tanking in ICC10

LowParry

KernelPanic said:
Yeah :D

I've taken the DK that I made at WOTLK launch out of retirement and it's been fun tanking. No problems at all and I've done frost and blood spec. I was worried about AE threat as most pug DK tanks struggle with it.

It's much more 'busy' compared to my bear and Prot Pally but it's the last tank class I've yet to play.

Seriously? AE tanking for DK's is such an easy task as Frost/Blood. You have so much AoE dmg to put out for threat. Mind boggling. Though I'm hearing now Blood will be the new big tank spec with Cata. What's the reasoning behind this?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
CcrooK said:
Seriously? AE tanking for DK's is such an easy task as Frost/Blood. You have so much AoE dmg to put out for threat. Mind boggling. Though I'm hearing now Blood will be the new big tank spec with Cata. What's the reasoning behind this?
Well, for one, it'll be the dedicated tank tree.

Talent Changes

Next we'll outline some of the death knight talent-tree changes we're planning in Cataclysm. This list is by no means comprehensive, but it should give you a sense of how we're intending each death knight spec to perform.

* One of the biggest changes we're making is converting Blood into a dedicated tanking tree. While we feel that having three tanking trees was successful overall, it's less necessary in a world with dual-specialization. In addition, the current breakdown isn't as compatible with the Mastery-based passive talent-tree bonuses we want to add (see below). We'd rather spend time tweaking and balancing one good tanking tree rather than having a tank always wondering if they picked the "correct" tree out of three possibilities.
* Blood seemed like the best fit for tanking. Unholy has always had a strong niche with diseases, magic, and command over pets. Frost now feels like a solid dual-wield tree with Frost magic damage and decent crowd control. Blood's niche was self-healing -- fitting for a tank -- as well as strong weapon swings, which could easily be migrated to Frost and Unholy.
* Our plan is to move the most interesting and fun tanking talents and abilities to Blood. For example, you will likely see [Vampiric Blood] and [Will of the Necropolis] remain, while [Bone Shield] will move over from Unholy.

Mastery Passive Talent Tree Bonuses

Blood
Damage reduction
Vengeance
Healing Absorption

Frost
Melee damage
Melee Haste
Runic Power Generation

Unholy
Melee damage
Melee and spell critical damage
Disease Damage

Vengeance: This new mechanic is designed to ensure that tank damage output (and therefore threat) doesn't fall behind as damage-dealing classes improve their gear during the course of the expansion. All tanking specs will have Vengeance as their second talent tree passive bonus. Whenever a tank gets hit, Vengeance will grant a stacking Attack Power buff equal to 5% of the damage done, up to a maximum of 10% of the character's unbuffed health. For boss encounters, we expect that tanks will always have an Attack Power bonus equal to 10% of their health. The 5% and 10% bonuses assume 51 talent points have been put into the Blood tree; these values will be smaller at lower levels.

You only get the Vengeance bonus if you have spent the most talent points in the Blood tree, so you won't see Frost or Unholy death knights running around with it. Vengeance will let us continue to design tank gear more or less the way we do today; there will be some damage-dealing stats, but mostly survival-oriented stats. Druids typically have more damage-dealing stats even on their tanking gear, so their Vengeance benefit may be smaller, but the goal is that all four tanks will do about the same damage when tanking.

We hope you enjoyed this preview, and we're looking forward to hearing your thoughts and feedback on these additions and changes. Please keep in mind that this information represents a work in progress and is subject to change as development on Cataclysm continues.

You're also required to choose a tree and put 31 points in it before you can use another. We only have 41 total talent points at 85 now.

CcrooK said:

They wanted one tanking tree with the way talents are designed in Cata so they picked blood.

I'm only 75 but DnD (glyphed) seems to be enough so far. I usually pop Blood Tap so I can get off Blood Boil right away after Pestilence but so far I rarely lose aggro unless some DPSer literally goes out of their way to pull it off me. You pull off pretty good DPS tanking as a DK as well.

Coming from a druid (swipe spam which hurts my hand after a while) and my pally (who pumbs out disgusting AE threat) the DK is interesting. Still getting used to it (always forget to keep Horn of Winter up) but Death Grip is one of the neatest tanking abilities I've played with.

Only tough part is not having an AE taunt. There's that part just before the final DTK boss with the trolls that constantly fear and sure enough someone got feared and with all my runes on cooldown I couldn't think of what to do.

I have ERW now so at least I can drop another DnD but except for using Death Grip and Dark Command on 2 targets I'm not sure what a DK tank does to regain control when everything goes bad.

But it's fun learning for sure.

Bisnic

DeathNote said:
As a DPS DK... I ran that instance countless times trying to get the DPS boots from the chest. So many asshole tanks leaving after the first 2 bosses. Then no tank wanting to join to help us beat the last one. There's quite a bit of other 232 gear in the chest too. http://www.wowhead.com/object=201710#contains:mode=heroic One of the highly sought after pieces of tank loot should be on the last boss. I was at the point where I wanted to master loot the instance and give them their shit at the end. It's the only ICC 5 man I had people leave after a boss kill.

But you're talking about heroic HOR here. The tanking shield & cloak drop in the regular version and are 219. No 232 loot drops in there. I hope you weren't running regular HOR in hope of getting epic 232 boots.

JesseZao

DeathNote said:
Seeing red alliance names on a pvp server for the first time was a rush.

Man, for me at least, a lot of this is credited to first mmo experience rather than wow. I wont be as amazed at a lot of the neat things about MMO's in in future MMO's.

Yeah the first time I entered a contested zone I freaked out and went back to the safety of green :D. I'm glad I decided to play on a pvp server though; danger always keeps it interesting.

idlewild_

MagicJackBauer said:
What's a good amount of gold to go into Cata with?

as much as you can get? lol, it really depends what you're looking for in cata. i remember paying around 12k for my greatness card about a month or two after wotlk launched, but several people from my guild spent 20-30k+ for theirs w/in 1-2 weeks of launch. so if you're looking to deck yourself out in the best boe gear you can get in prep for raids, powerlevel your professions, etc. w/in the first month, you'd likely want to have well over 50k

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
MagicJackBauer said:
What's a good amount of gold to go into Cata with?
I think I've got ~12000 over all my chars. I don't think farming endlessly now is a good value considering how easy gold is to obtain right after a ex-pack. I sold Eternal Belts for 500g a piece when Wrath launched.

Retro

MMO Champion is reporting the Troll (Zalazane's Fall) and Gnome (Operation Gnomeregan) events are now on live servers. I might actually log into WoW this month.

Bisnic

Am i right in assuming those gnome & troll events are only for lvl 1 gnomes & trolls? Or is it some lvl 80 stuff?

Flib

Bisnic said:
Am i right in assuming those gnome & troll events are only for lvl 1 gnomes & trolls? Or is it some lvl 80 stuff?

I think it's only for high level characters. Or at least most of it is.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Bisnic said:
But you're talking about heroic HOR here. The tanking shield & cloak drop in the regular version and are 219. No 232 loot drops in there. I hope you weren't running regular HOR in hope of getting epic 232 boots.
Yeah I'm talking about heroic. Maybe the left after Falric's Wrist-Chopper didn't drop? I definitely farmed normal for the DPS cloak from the chest tho. I remember them leaving in both now that I think about it.

I gave up on the cloak when I could buy the Wrathful glad cloak for honor points. Gave up on the boots.

Bisnic

You can get another tanking weapon that is as good in H POS, so its less of a pain in the ass.

Personally, i have never seen tanks left after the 1st or 2nd boss in H HOR if the group made it without multiple wipes.

But it happens ¾ of the time in reg HOR. :lol

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Ok, they left when I was farming for the cloak, and I'm was just pissed that I could never get the boots to drop in the heroic cause of having to rely on random dungeon and drop rate.

Yeah, that's it. Memory is clear now.

idlewild_

i'd imagine a lot of tanks (my war and dk included) run hhor for the neck at the end. falric's is a pretty bad tanking weap for anything other than cheap heroics. i suppose if that's all you're doing on your war/pally tank it would be decent, but rimefang's claw is a better if you want to do anything else

ezekial45

Banned
Retro said:
MMO Champion is reporting the Troll (Zalazane's Fall) and Gnome (Operation Gnomeregan) events are now on live servers. I might actually log into WoW this month.

I am working on Operation Gnomeregan right now! Good stuff haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom