• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
notworksafe said:
Well tanking is my favorite aspect of the game, so that's why I was considering Warrior. Mage does look awesome though...especially fire! Eventually I think I'll end up leveling both. :D

Shaman is a lot of fun. I got burned out on the class after having it be my main character for all of BC and much of Wrath. If you go Enhancement for leveling, I think you'll enjoy it.

Hunter is neat, but leveling is a bit boring because it is so simple, imo. Just toss off a few auto shots and let your pet do all the work. No hurt in trying out both though!
I disagree though. Leveling Survival I've found there's very little auto-shot. Just pop Explosive Shot, then spam Arcane shot til you're out of focus, then start using Steady Shot to regen focus til Explosive Shot is up again. You don't really have to kite much since you do a lot of damage, enemies don't even really live long enough to justify using a full DPS rotation with Serpent Sting. You can even add in the Crocolisk pet which slows people with its special ability which is a snare, if you find they are actually reaching you.

KJTB

If I go hunter I was thinking of either survival or BM. I'm not too sure which I'll choose.

I'll probably decide what class to make my goblin after staring at the character creation screen for like 10 minutes :lol

notworksafe said:
Going to level my Paladin to 85 (not going to rush. I'll probably even do both starter zones), then probably work on a mix of heroics and a Goblin alt. Haven't decided between Warrior or Mage.

Just got my orc warrior alt to 80 yesterday, as well a mage from about 38 to 48 (10 levels went by really fast somehow.) Been playing Fire on the mage mostly - pretty fun. Getting a hot streak proc gives you a rush like hitting a jackpot - it doesn't proc as often as missiles would, but getting an instant-cast, mana-free shot with your biggest nuke? Sign me up! :D

Both are fun - I like tanking classes, so I prefer the warrior out of the two - warrior tanking is so different from DK tanking or Paladin tanking (which I have a 38 of now). You don't really have any big stationary AoEs, like consecration or DnD - the only equivalent is shockwave which is only a frontal cone that you get late as it's at the end of the tree. However, you do get a ton of mobility with charge and intercept mid-battle with the warbringer talent, as well as a LOT of stuns.

It plays completely different, and I like it (though not necessarily prefer it.)

Alex said:
I normally adore Mages in RPGs, but I'm not very into the WoW one.

On the other hand I don't care for melee but I'm very fond of Warrior. :lol

I'm starting off with Resto and Elemental Shaman this time. I always like to do healers as a primary and I'm sort of smitten with Elemental.

Elemental is fun because you're all but guaranteed to see at least one crit every 8 seconds! :lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Dipindots said:
If I go hunter I was thinking of either survival or BM. I'm not too sure which I'll choose.

I'll probably decide what class to make my goblin after staring at the character creation screen for like 10 minutes :lol
You basically can't be MM since you get crappy Aimed Shot which does nothing useful until you get a level 57 talent that lets you actually use it, and even then, you get to use it relatively infrequently.

The only problem with going Surv is that it's a trap based tree and you don't even really get traps til level 30 and they suck until you get trap launcher at 48. It's not really a big deal at all, it's just kind of annoying that you have to spend points on Lock and Load, but you literally can't proc it.

CarbonatedFalcon said:
Just got my orc warrior alt to 80 yesterday, as well a mage from about 38 to 48 (10 levels went by really fast somehow.) Been playing Fire on the mage mostly - pretty fun. Getting a hot streak proc gives you a rush like hitting a jackpot - it doesn't proc as often as missiles would, but getting an instant-cast, mana-free shot with your biggest nuke? Sign me up! :D

Both are fun - I like tanking classes, so I prefer the warrior out of the two - warrior tanking is so different from DK tanking or Paladin tanking (which I have a 38 of now). You don't really have any big stationary AoEs, like consecration or DnD - the only equivalent is shockwave which is only a frontal cone that you get late as it's at the end of the tree. However, you do get a ton of mobility with charge and intercept mid-battle with the warbringer talent, as well as a LOT of stuns.

It plays completely different, and I like it (though not necessarily prefer it.)
The weird part is that there are actually 2 different Hot Streak talents that proc the same thing. They essentially just make your proc rate pretty much the same all the time, even though you feel like its going up when you get more crit, it's actually not :lol

notworksafe

Angry Grimace said:
I disagree though. Leveling Survival I've found there's very little auto-shot. Just pop Explosive Shot, then spam Arcane shot til you're out of focus, then start using Steady Shot to regen focus til Explosive Shot is up again. You don't really have to kite much since you do a lot of damage, enemies don't even really live long enough to justify using a full DPS rotation with Serpent Sting. You can even add in the Crocolisk pet which slows people with its special ability which is a snare, if you find they are actually reaching you.
I haven't played Hunter for quite a while, so it's nice to hear they've been positively affected by the focus change. Last time I tried to level one was 3.2-ish time period and they were dreadfully dull.

Retro

All this talk of hunters... I was planning to go Goblin Hunter tuesday, but I've never leveled one past 30 and I haven't played them since The Shattering. Anyone have some general rules of thumb? I enjoyed Marksmanship before, but I guess it's not so great now since people are going BM / Survival?

I know the basics, of course (frost trap, let tank to pull, pets on passive, etc), but if anyone has any Huntard Wisdom, I'd find it useful before I go and blunder halfway to 80 developing all sorts of bad habits. :lol

Edit: I've been saying for years that Hunters and Rogues should have been one class, nice to see Hunters kind of getting a stealth mechanic finally. Makes sense.

Retro said:
All this talk of hunters... I was planning to go Goblin Hunter tuesday, but I've never leveled one past 30 and I haven't played them since The Shattering. Anyone have some general rules of thumb? I enjoyed Marksmanship before, but I guess it's not so great now since people are going BM / Survival?

I know the basics, of course (frost trap, let tank to pull, pets on passive, etc), but if anyone has any Huntard Wisdom, I'd find it useful before I go and blunder halfway to 80 developing all sorts of bad habits. :lol

Edit: I've been saying for years that Hunters and Rogues should have been one class, nice to see Hunters kind of getting a stealth mechanic finally. Makes sense.

Always put your pet away before jumping off a ledge in a dungeon. I made this mistake time after time in dungeons leveling up, watching my stupid pet run the long way around and aggro everything.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
CarbonatedFalcon said:
I think it's just (some) stealth, predator style, and they can't be targeted. None of the previous, more powerful stuff.

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=80325#comments
Everything I found on it was months old, but they changed it to untargetable by ranged attacks. It'd be interesting if they kept it 100% untargetable. You could taunt people for a minute and re-camo endlessly if you were quick enough. :lol

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Cant wait to make my Goblin hunter tomorrow, was going to try the name Bowjob but it was taken.

I play on Outland Horde on the EU servers. 22 hours and 24 minutes to go.

Angry Grimace

I'm surprised at how easy it is to get the Dark Phoenix mount. I rather assumed it would be more than "Get the Cataclysm equivalent of Champion of the Frozen Wastes." The guild requirement is pretty meaningless unless you don't run with one at all.

notworksafe said:
I haven't played Hunter for quite a while, so it's nice to hear they've been positively affected by the focus change. Last time I tried to level one was 3.2-ish time period and they were dreadfully dull.

The way I see it, Mana was never a legitimately limited resource for Hunters, so everything was governed by cooldowns, i.e. spam yourself some auto-shot. You also get Steady Shot at level 3, so you can spam it to regen focus.

Ridli

Man, we're so close. I don't eve know how I'm going to survive work tomorrow. I'm going to head to a local BestBuy for a midnight launch. They have zero information about Collector's editions though. I'm hoping to get lucky with one. I don't even care about the pet, but I really loved the Starcraft II artbook and I'd really want to see a WoW-based one.

Someone that plays on EU should tell me if I discover the BRC entrance now (it displays the message that the entrance is discovered, specifically), does that make me good for launch on that dungeon, or do I still have to go there again after the "switch"?

Dipindots said:
Ok, so after thinking about it for a while I've finally decided what I'm going to do.

Unfortunately I have finals this week so I'll be a couple of days late for cataclysm.

What I'm going to do when I can play:

1) make a goblin alt and get him to lvl 10 to experience the goblin starting zone

2) level my death knight to lvl 85 asap

3) continue leveling my druid while gearing up my death knight

4) then it's a toss up between hitting 85 on my druid and lvling my goblin.

Man, I'm so excited! :D

What about you guys?

I'm going to level my Death Knight to 85 after I recreate my Goblin Shaman from beta. After that it's basically getting my DK geared in heroics and raiding. Then I'll work on my Mage and Shaman during the off time.

Soule

fuuuuarrrrkkkkk timelost proto drake proc'd on my NPC scan while i was getting brekky this morning... flew around a bit hoping he was still alive, go back to where i was originally afk and some DK is mid fight... devastated... well not really but bummed i missed out

Lolligag

So today on my Gnome Priest, I get into a H Strath run with 4 DKs from the same realm. I'm already suspicious.

One DK says "just got collect everyone and bring them to one place nobody attack anything". I know this is going to go wrong, they're attempting the Zombiefest! achievement without a damn clue how to do it.

They charge, one of the nearly dies the moment the cross the elite so I heal and obviously I die. They eventually all die.

Don't need to read this conversation, but it's just to prove my theory that their a bit dimwitted. I don't think they were even looking for a healer, they were just too lazy to run there.
DK1: ash(DK2) is looking up howw to do the achiv
DK2: alright i got it
DK2: ok we got to kite the 2nd boss down here and wait 5min for the zombies to respawn
DK2: er not 2nd boss
DK2: 3rd boss
DK2: wait nope 2nd boss
DK2: alright do u guys got a blood spec?
DK3: I do.
DK2: k switch to it
DK4: y?
DK2: cause we got to take turns taking dmg from the boss
DK2: sicne we got antimagic shell

So with a devious plan, I tested to see if I could vote kick one out. I wrote "shitty healer" for the reason and bam, the person got kicked. It was hilarious for me. Sadly I didn't have lead so they were able to simply invite him back.

Tamanon

Banned
theinfinityissue said:
what's the consensus on using boa 10% exp gear? does it still work from 80-85?

Does not work from 80-85. They'll have new heirloom gear that will, but not the current stuff.

Angry Grimace

theinfinityissue said:
ah crud. thanks anyways, I can still cheese the systems with some preloaded dailies :lol
Blizzard usually makes the old quests just award insignificant XP in comparison to new content, though. I hear 81 and 82 are super fast to get to.

Lolligag

Tamanon said:
Does not work from 80-85. They'll have new heirloom gear that will, but not the current stuff.
They haven't actually confirmed the new heirlooms work till 85, there's no datamine of actual stats either. If anything this means no, it does not.

"Will the heirloom items scale to 85?
The current plan is to have heirloom items stop at level 80 at the moment."
http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/2079-Cataclysm-Dev-Chat-with-BestBuy?&page=7

SUPARSTARX said:
I'm ready for tomorrow night.

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/9202/wowscrnshot120510203039.jpg

Bags all cleared out on main and alts! Let the shattering of my sleep patterns commence.
Ewwww, I'm ok with ppl using default ui's, but not even a bag mod!!! How annoying.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Ok, this is driving me nuts. What is the rogue talent that let you (when activated) hit two enemies for a certain number of seconds? I can't find it anymore.

SUPARSTARX

Lolligag said:
They haven't actually confirmed the new heirlooms work till 85, there's no datamine of actual stats either. If anything this means no, it does not.

"Will the heirloom items scale to 85?
The current plan is to have heirloom items stop at level 80 at the moment."
http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/2079-Cataclysm-Dev-Chat-with-BestBuy?&page=7

Ewwww, I'm ok with ppl using default ui's, but not even a bag mod!!! How annoying.
I used to have a clean and minimalistic configuration UI but I got too lazy to reconfigure a new one and the default stuff isn't that bad nowadays especially since they added their own ghetto grid raid units.

Ridli

SUPARSTARX said:
I used to have a clean and minimalistic configuration UI but I got too lazy to reconfigure a new one and the default stuff isn't that bad nowadays especially since they added their own ghetto grid raid units.

Have you considered an All-in-one compilation? I've been using Elv's UI lately and I love it. I know what you mean by having to reconfigure your UI every patch and making all the individual pieces work together. I got sick of having a Raidframe, Unitframe, Bar addon, chat, and everything separate and running through and saving profiles on half a dozen alts.

Elv's is a modification of TukUI. I love it because it does everything I used to do manually, and does it prettier than I ever could. Give it a look. I think dealing with one mod as opposed to 5+ might be more palatable for you.

Elv's UI at WoW Interface

Screenshot 1 - In Tank/DPS mode
Screenshot 2 - In Healer Mode

KJTB

I used to be all crazy about UI's back in BC. I'd seriously have a new UI a month... I must have spent so many hours configuring all of it.

Towards the end of BC I got kind of tired of having all these fancy UI's and stuff so I went back to default (besides still using some important addons like recount).

I think once I get a new PC (around the end of December) I'm going to try my hand at making a minimalistic UI from scratch.

SUPARSTARX

Ridli said:
Have you considered an All-in-one compilation? I've been using Elv's UI lately and I love it. I know what you mean by having to reconfigure your UI every patch and making all the individual pieces work together. I got sick of having a Raidframe, Unitframe, Bar addon, chat, and everything separate and running through and saving profiles on half a dozen alts.

Elv's is a modification of TukUI. I love it because it does everything I used to do manually, and does it prettier than I ever could. Give it a look. I think dealing with one mod as opposed to 5+ might be more palatable for you.

Elv's UI at WoW Interface

Screenshot 1 - In Tank/DPS mode
Screenshot 2 - In Healer Mode
I used to use Tukui or something and some other stuff but I still ended up wanting to add a few more things to my liking. I just end up kinda not caring anymore after a while.

Ridli

SUPARSTARX said:
I used to use Tukui or something and some other stuff but I still ended up wanting to add a few more things to my liking. I just end up kinda not caring anymore after a while.

Fair enough.

Since they included the ghetto-grid in the default UI I was seriously tempted to go stock. But I just can't get over their placement of the unit frames. In so many situations it's important to know what you and your target's health and mana are at. Having to move focus all the way up to the upper left hand corner of the screen just confuses me for something as basic as "I need healing now." Even more so for all the counters we have now with Combo Points, Holy Power, Runes, Eclipse, and Soul Shards.

Blizzard is smart enough to steal useful features from the mod community. Hopefully they'll add something in regarding Player and Target frame eventually.

Alex

I don't use too many addons, but I like to have a few. TukUI and things like that are sorta neat too since they can provide a nice simplistic framework and some bare essentials.

Tamanon said:
Maybe a week I'd say.
Wow. It really is that fast these days. Lost all the login info for my character from a couple of years ago so I'm starting out on a trial account to see if I want to get back in. Orc hunter on Area 52. So far it's good to be back. Missed the sale last week though hoping for a deal in Canada for the battle chest on Tuesday.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is it just me, or does Blizzard doesnt know the difference between east & west?

I swear, i must have seen at least 4 quests so far that told me "the leader is to the northwest!" or "the camp is east from here!" while it was in fact the complete opposite.

eosos

Banned
So how can I tell if I've downloaded cataclysm? I bought it and have the launcher up and it says that it's up to date but I didn't download anything after buying cataclysm.

ScrubJay

I got a "trial" account in the $5 sale. I've been super impressed by the revamp of azeroth so far, and that's only going through the Dwarf zones. I'm officially resubscribing to my old account, I hope I don't get super addicted again :(

eosos said:
So how can I tell if I've downloaded cataclysm? I bought it and have the launcher up and it says that it's up to date but I didn't download anything after buying cataclysm.

When you load up the launcher it should be downloading about 800 megabytes or so of data. Those are the Cataclysm files. If you don't get that when loading it up, you'll have to go into your World of Warcraft folder and change 2 files to start downloading the expansion.

Here's a link to show you how to do it. How to Preload Cataclysm

Ridli

ScrubJay said:
I got a "trial" account in the $5 sale. I've been super impressed by the revamp of azeroth so far, and that's only going through the Dwarf zones. I'm officially resubscribing to my old account, I hope I don't get super addicted again :(

If you're really concerned, turn on the parental controls and limit your playtime. I know, I know, you have the password and everything. But it's a hassle to have to log out, reset the play schedule and log back in to play in the meantime. I know a couple folks who use it as a more annoying self reminder to lay off the WoW for the night, heh.

Other than that, welcome back.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Has there been any word on how Cataclysm is going live Tuesday? Will the servers go down for a while tomorrow to prep, or is most of the stuff already good to go, and the new areas will spawn into existence like NPCs for holiday events?

I just hope the queue to log into my server isn't too painful. All my toons are on high population servers. XD

J-Rzez

Just got [earth, wind, fire] tonight. I'm thinking it was way easier with the way shorter hallway back in the day lol.

Atomski said:
New levelin gear looks nice

WoWScrnShot_120510_151514.jpg

Usually look like a circus clown by mid 40s.

Hmm, doesn't look as offensive as the old gear at all really, despite that it's on the ugliest and worst character model in the game.

I think I'm still going to miss the "clown suit" days though in the long run.

Can you start leveling in the Cataclysm zones at 78? I don't think I can make 80 before Tuesday comes. Maybe 78 or 79 if I'm lucky. You can go to Outland at 58 and Northrend at 68 but just checking since this expansion is only adding 5 levels and may be different.

mileS

Not sure if I should name my goblin shaman Shockbroker or not.. I usually dislike names like that but I think its kinda cool :?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom