• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twig

Banned
Flib said:
Sorry, I should clarify that, I definitely sounded like a tool!

They've been complaining about being busy for the holidays, but they've run like 3 heroics in the last two to three weeks, but have been really busy leveling various alts whenever they're on. So yeah, it's on them. We have some raiders who are just straight up busy, and that's perfectly fine, real life always comes first. But if you're expecting to have a raid slot and are spending all of your time dicking around on low levels and not getting properly geared up on your main, then I have an issue with that.

We've had the rest of the raid team geared up for a while, and tanks and dps are available for them to have smooth and short heroic runs, so the awfulness of pugs is also not an excuse.
To be fair, they might be doing all they can. When I play WoW over the holidays while on vacation, it's usually pretty casual (i.e., alts or fishing or etc.) because I don't know when I'll be ripped away from the computer by family or whatever. Don't want to commit to a heroic or even a normal dungeon or even battlegrounds when I don't know if I'll actually be able to finish...

ALSO: lol hardcore raiders always get their panties in a bunch about somethin' or other ];

Flib

Twig said:
To be fair, they might be doing all they can. When I play WoW over the holidays while on vacation, it's usually pretty casual (i.e., alts or fishing or etc.) because I don't know when I'll be ripped away from the computer by family or whatever. Don't want to commit to a heroic or even a normal dungeon or even battlegrounds when I don't know if I'll actually be able to finish...

Yet they can commit to raiding, pvping and low level dungeons?

Seriously, if what you are saying was the case, that would be fine. I know that it's not, however. I'm not hardcore about this at all, but I have an anxious and capable raid team chomping at the bit to start progression, so it's frustrating.

I've been traveling for the holidays and super-busy, but I'm still decked out in all 346 or above gear. The time commitment is really not that bad (though I've been lucky on drops).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
hKZC7.jpg

Sounds like raiding is a part time unpaid job with no health benefits in your guild. I say go easy on everyone. We just got a lot of awesome new content dropped on up for alts and PvP. Some of those are pretty fun. Maybe as much fun as part time job raiding.

Twig

Banned
keeblerdrow said:
Sounds like raiding is a part time unpaid job with no health benefits in your guild. I say go easy on everyone. We just got a lot of awesome new content dropped on up for alts and PvP. Some of those are pretty fun. Maybe as much fun as part time job raiding.
Maybe.

Wizman23

Banned
Been playing for about 12 days now and got my Human Mage up to a level 27. Don't know why I was intimidated the past 6 years the game is simple relaxing fun. What I love most is the world itself and all the cool places....and to think I still have 95% of the world yet to see. Had a few noob questions:

-What is the max number your base stats can go up to? I'm assuming its over 100 since my Intellect is already at an 82.

- How do you learn glyphs?

- I don't have any of the expansions yet. Is it worth me getting them now or should I just wait until I hit level 60?

Flib said:
Yet they can commit to raiding, pvping and low level dungeons?

Seriously, if what you are saying was the case, that would be fine. I know that it's not, however. I'm not hardcore about this at all, but I have an anxious and capable raid team chomping at the bit to start progression, so it's frustrating.

I've been traveling for the holidays and super-busy, but I'm still decked out in all 346 or above gear. The time commitment is really not that bad (though I've been lucky on drops).

Chomping at the bit for what reason? There are no world first that you're going to hit.
Waiting until your mates progress is a better option. Kicking them from Raid positions that they already earned is pretty crap IMO.

This game above any other seems to bring out the dick in people.

Rapstah

Wizman23 said:
Been playing for about 12 days now and got my Human Mage up to a level 27. Don't know why I was intimidated the past 6 years the game is simple relaxing fun. What I love most is the world itself and all the cool places....and to think I still have 95% of the world yet to see. Had a few noob questions:

-What is the max number your base stats can go up to? I'm assuming its over 100 since my Intellect is already at an 82.

- How do you learn glyphs?

- I don't have any of the expansions yet. Is it worth me getting them now or should I just wait until I hit level 60?
No max on stats. I have 3716 Intellect at level 85. You learn glyphs by buying them from a scibe (which is a primary profession chosen by players who own Burning Crusade) (or making them yourself as a scribe). You won't really gain anything from any expansion until level 60, so I'd suggest that you buy Burning Crusade then if you're still into it.

Rapstah said:
No max on stats. I have 3716 Intellect at level 85. You learn glyphs by buying them from a scibe (which is a primary profession chosen by players who own Burning Crusade) (or making them yourself as a scribe). You won't really gain anything from any expansion until level 60, so I'd suggest that you buy Burning Crusade then if you're still into it.
Also, if you don't know, you can ask any of these questions to other players in the Trade Chat.

To enter Trade Chat, you must be in a major city like Stormwind and press enter to chat and type /2 before your message to join the Trade channel.

Rapstah

The Lamonster said:
Also, if you don't know, you can ask any of these questions to other players in the Trade Chat.

To enter Trade Chat, you must be in a major city like Stormwind and press enter to chat and type /2 before your message to join the Trade channel.
You've just murdered him.

I really dislike how all of the archaeology points of different races are on the same rotation in a given continent. It takes me ages to get Tol'vir stuff.

J-Rzez

Dipindots said:
Hahaha that's fucking awesome :lol

Even though it's situational, I love DS

It's easily the most fun ability I've ever used, period. You can time it sometimes to get you what you want, other times though it's fun to throw out and see what you get randomly. Like say, when a lock summons an infernal to try and kill you, then you drop your own. :lol

The Lamonster said:
I've heard this before - not sure why everyone thinks it's two buttons. You can say that about any class if you choose to only use a couple spells. When I run dungeons, the spells I use are:

Presence of Mind
Arcane Blast
Arcane Barrage
Arcane Missiles
Arcane Explosion
Mirror Image
Evocation
Blink

And yes, it's surely possible to use Arcane Blast over and over, as Hunters can just autoshot over and over - but it isn't very efficient.

You are using too many then. You use Arcane Blast til Arcane Missiles procs. Then you go back to Arcane Blast. Barrage is a waste of mana right now and only used when you don't wanna waste your 4stack of the buff when you gotta move. Arcane Explosion is used when... uh... when... well, you'll maybe use it in Wrath dungeons or endgame. Not likely. Presence of Mind and Mirror Image are your cool downs. Fiery Orb you use when it's up and using it won't pull extra shit (it tends to do that). If you need to use Blink, you need to learn positioning in dungeons, but I can see some raiding situations where you'd want it on your bars.

Maybe I misspoke. Arcane is 3 buttons. AB, AM and your cooldowns.

PatzCU

We got Nef down to 24% last night in 10 man. That fight is ridiculously hard. I really don't see this content being puggable like ICC was.

Flib

1) We're a group of people who've been raiding together forever and are generally relaxed, but drifted apart during Wrath. We reformed right before Cata after most of us didn't raid for a while, so people are really excited to start again.

2) We aren't actually going to kick these people, but we have other healers waiting in the wings who are ready and excited to raid. I don't think it's wrong to tell these people that we're going to switch them out for other healers until they gear up. Just like it's not fair to either not raid or waste peoples' time just because two guys have some sort of automatic permanent raid slots due to seniority. The reason I'm mainly annoyed is that they got all pissy about their raid slots when I tried to bring in replacement healers. As I said, they aren't being permanently replaced, but we have an entire raid team ready to go and excited to raid, so there is no reason to not be doing so.

3) This is actually a really not big issue in the guild (no one is actually angry), I'm just frustrated after a night of wipes, so it came off as a much bigger deal than it is. We play the game to relax, and we have loose requirements overall (including no concrete attendance policy, and we never have stuff like loot drama). It's just annoying to waste a couple of hours when a solution is easily available. This is not a full time job, we don't have another raid until Sunday, and that's our only other one this week.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Wow, TB is so pathetic now. Everyone just spams "Let them win". Way to go, Blizzard. I know it wasn't a well-designed BG in the first place, but at least people tried.

Garryk

Yeah, they need to do something to encourage the defenders to win. Maybe award extra honor for winning a match with the towers still standing. Regardless, 1800 honor is way too much.

notsol337

marked forever
keeblerdrow said:
You are using too many then. You use Arcane Blast til Arcane Missiles procs. Then you go back to Arcane Blast. Barrage is a waste of mana right now and only used when you don't wanna waste your 4stack of the buff when you gotta move. Arcane Explosion is used when... uh... when... well, you'll maybe use it in Wrath dungeons or endgame. Not likely. Presence of Mind and Mirror Image are your cool downs. Fiery Orb you use when it's up and using it won't pull extra shit (it tends to do that). If you need to use Blink, you need to learn positioning in dungeons, but I can see some raiding situations where you'd want it on your bars.

Maybe I misspoke. Arcane is 3 buttons. AB, AM and your cooldowns.

I've been pulling 7-8k dps in crappy green gear as such:

arcane blast -> arcane barrage OR arcane missiles

Rinse repeat. Let mastery do the work for you. When it's time to burst, you spam AB until you're about 10k mana down, eat a gem, then spam to 40% mana and evocate.

Then it's back to arc blast -> barrage/missiles until evocate is off cooldown.

This comes off elitist jerks too, so if you have an issue with it address it to them. It's working just fine for me!

Furthermore, you should be using counterspell too. Interrupts are important!

notsol337 said:

Rinse repeat. Let mastery do the work for you. When it's time to burst, you spam AB until you're about 10k mana down, eat a gem, then spam to 40% mana and evocate.

This comes off elitist jerks too, so if you have an issue with it address it to them. It's working just fine for me!

Thanks dude, this helps me reassure myself that I've already been doing the right thing!

I've never used Counterspell though...when should I use it? Mostly for the huge spells that bosses use?

notsol337

marked forever
The Lamonster said:
Thanks dude, this helps me reassure myself that I've already been doing the right thing!

I've never used Counterspell though...when should I use it? Mostly for the huge spells that bosses use?

Yeah, spamming AB just puts you out of the fight really fast. I can cast it 11 times in a row and I am then at around 3% mana. The bonus damage for arcane blast only applies to arcane blast again, so it's just like playing arcane during burning crusade except arc missiles is free.

Use missiles/barrage to dump the debuff. Pretty simple rotation! It's actually kind of boring compared to fire.

Also, I use counterspell whenever a mob is casting something nasty. For example, the naga that cast healing waves in Throne of Tides. Not when I'm watching! You can also counterspell force grip at the end of Stonecore, which has saved me from pulling aggro a few times.

http://elitistjerks.com/f75/t106141-arcane_cataclysm_updated_4_01_a/ This is pretty much the best resource an arcane mage has right now, and it's worth a read!

Yaweee

NameGenerated said:
Wow, TB is so pathetic now. Everyone just spams "Let them win". Way to go, Blizzard. I know it wasn't a well-designed BG in the first place, but at least people tried.

Yeah, Tol Barad has just been a massive failure from beginning to end. First the basic design, then the player cap, and now blatant institutionalized win-trading give massive bonuses for the lucky few to get in.

Noctix

Hi guys,

I have two very noob question. So I started leveling this paladin toon for tanking purposes just in time for cata. I am 85 now and I am still gearing so I can run proper heroics and raids soon.
The problem I am having is that my healer tells me that I take too much damage. I havent have any problems with aggro so far. Am I too squishy?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/dathremar/zebpally/advanced

My second question is related to hit cap and expertise. Is it necessary for a tank to cap those. The reason I ask is if you look at elitistjerks they said thats the first stat to cap. But then if you look at Lazeil (http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/lightnings-blade/lazeil/advanced) of paragon or Meloree(http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/garona/meloree/advanced) of Edge they are hardcore paladin tanks doing heroics cata raids. And all they are doing is reforging hit and expertise to mastery, dodge and parry. I read on a site that they are stacking for avoidance then threat since managing threat is fairly easy.

I have been tanking on this toon since level 15 till now. I never had an issue with threat so is it worthwhile to just stack up mastery? I don't have a lot of raid experience. But I will be doing raids as soon as I get geared up. Can some one please advice me? (please don't burn me).

Flib

jehanzeb.khan said:
Hi guys,

I have two very noob question. So I started leveling this paladin toon for tanking purposes just in time for cata. I am 85 now and I am still gearing so I can run proper heroics and raids soon.
The problem I am having is that my healer tells me that I take too much damage. I havent have any problems with aggro so far. Am I too squishy?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/dathremar/zebpally/advanced

My second question is related to hit cap and expertise. Is it necessary for a tank to cap those. The reason I ask is if you look at elitistjerks they said thats the first stat to cap. But then if you look at Lazeil (http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/lightnings-blade/lazeil/advanced) of paragon or Meloree(http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/garona/meloree/advanced) of Edge they are hardcore paladin tanks doing heroics cata raids. And all they are doing is reforging hit and expertise to mastery, dodge and parry. I read on a site that they are stacking for avoidance then threat since managing threat is fairly easy.

I have been tanking on this toon since level 15 till now. I never had an issue with threat so is it worthwhile to just stack up mastery? I don't have a lot of raid experience. But I will be doing raids as soon as I get geared up. Can some one please advice me? (please don't burn me).

While I can nitpick on some gear, you shouldn't be too squishy. It could be an issue with your healer, as tanks just take a tremendous amount of damage in the new dungeons. I would reforge some of your gear for more avoidance, the reason for people not stacking expertise/hit is because of vengeance, which stacks so high that you don't really have threat problems.

Also, make sure you are rolling your cooldowns, even on trash. Until your gear is better, you need to actively work to aleviate your incoming damage, especially as you don't have as reliable of an interrupt as other classes. Make sure your're also cc'ing etc.

Noctix

so would you advice me to do the same. I have been running instances successfully. If you have any suggestion on my gear (even if u think it's nitpicking) please do so. I am still learning and I would appreciate brutal honest opinion.
Please don't hate me for my next question. I know it's a very noobish question. When you said i should be rolling my cooldowns, could you please elaborate on what do you mean. Sorry I am very noob with terminology I haven't understood the concept. I might and most definitely must doing them just don't know what using cool down means.
Sorry to bother you guys like this.

markot

Banned
Cool downs is the time it takes before you can use a spell/ability again.

Some abilities have 2-3 minute cool downs, there are some for pally tanks that reduce dmg by 30% or something every 3 minutes, so use it often and dont be scared to use them.

Noctix

oh ok, I got it now. Thanks for that. In normal usually just divine plea whenever it's available. But on bosses I use everything to keep the effect. In heroics well I have to use everything. I hate using WoG :( but I have because most of the time in pug heroics I am close to my demise.
-
Any other tanking tips, suggestion you guys can give me for heroics?

Manus

This whole you can't kick anymore people from the dungeon thing needs to go.

Tank should be the one marking mobs for CC. I always find it a lot easier that way. I hate when some DPS marks something and doesn't say what he's going to do with it.

KJTB

Don't even get me started about the TB bullshit.

Thanks for letting us know about this garbage beforehand, blizzard. I'm glad that I basically wasted hours of my life grinding for every piece of pvp gear when now you can get them all in a couple of days due to the win trading. My friend who just hit 85 already has 5/5 and some pieces because of this.

Alex

SquirrelNuckle said:
This whole you can't kick anymore people from the dungeon thing needs to go.

Tank should be the one marking mobs for CC. I always find it a lot easier that way. I hate when some DPS marks something and doesn't say what he's going to do with it.

I mostly duo a friend, who is also our guilds MT. Sometimes he wants to DPS in a daily heroic in a pug if no one else is on and I'll heal for him for a quick queue , there's about a 50% chance lately we get a totally inept tank and my friend winds up doing all of the marking, so I would be annoyed if it was restricted. :lol

But I do get your complaint, I can see that being annoying as hell, but I can't really relate because outside of the above, I've never seen a DPS try to mark anything.

They should let you kick people faster and more often, though. I can see people getting kicked for bullshit reasons, but it's probably a LOT more rare than something legitimate. Maybe put em back in the queue at a half way point to compensate, I dunno. I wish something could be done for DPS queues, but I don't know what Blizzard could possibly do.

notsol337 said:

Yeah, got them reversed. In a game where so many people reduce things to abbreviations, dumping Arcane Blast and Arcane Barrage right next to each other in a rotation of 3 spells might've been a bad idea. Heh. Which ever one you stack to 4 with... that's the one you use. What I haven't figured out is more important yet: Hitting Missiles every time it procs regardless of AB stacks or wait til 4.

CC and interrupts is a given. Mages without Polymorph or Counterspell or Spell Steal on their bars should just reroll.

Twig

Banned
NameGenerated said:
Yes it was.

It SHOULD be harder for offense to win. It just MAKES SENSE.

And it is, in fact, possible. Horde on my server did it multiple times before Blizzard turned it into an honor farm. It just so happens that Horde on Stormreaver > Alliance on Stormreaver. Unlike in BGs, where Horde just likes to roll over and cry when it looks like Alliance has even a slight advantage. \:

Twig said:
Yes it was.

And it is, in fact, possible. Horde on my server did it multiple times before Blizzard turned it into an honor farm. It just so happens that Horde on Stormreaver > Alliance on Stormreaver. Unlike in BGs, where Horde just likes to roll over and cry when it looks like Alliance has even a slight advantage. \:

No it is awful, why should any side have the advantage?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Twig said:
Yes it was.

Thats crazy talk. Tol Barad is easily the worst designed thing Blizzard has ever done. Even numbers and one side has to cap all three to win? And the Defense GY is in the center? So Offense is punished for killing because Defense rezzes closer to an undefended area because the numbers are always even. There is no way to defend, its just zerg zerg zerg.

Tol Barad is broken garbage. Even Blizzard acknowledges this without saying it by making Offense wins give half the honor cap! They did this because people stopped showing up for games if they didnt control mere weeks after its introduction.

Sure it can happen but its through total luck. Offense wins if Defense fucks things up massively. This usually happens when fresh 85s come into TB Defense and try to play like a normal game instead of "zerg whatever and win" strategy.

edit: and about advantages. If you cannot make a competitive game balanced the thing to do is to make Offense easier so the place at least changes sides. Not make Defense a shoe-in so one side controls an area for 100+ games in a row.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Twig said:
Just because you and the people you play with suck at games doesn't make the games bad! :D
Please. The game is broken. You dont need skill to win Tol Barad. When i play i kill myself and others by stopping all healing once the Offense starts to take a tower and sitting down so i get crit on me and die really quick. Its advantageous for Defense at that point to die and rez with full health/mana closer to a weaker objective.

If you cannot see how the game is bad, i hope you have nothing to do with any game design ever.

Twig

Banned
You're not stating the obvious about anything. You're bitching. That's fine, I've been there, too, but at some point you have to realize what you're doing and calm the fuck down.
cuevas said:
You admitted to it being unbalanced, how are people bad?
It's harder for offense to win. That doesn't make it impossible.

Actually, if both sides are COORDINATED, it becomes a lot more even. It's not my fault the vast majority of people who play this game are idiots.

Twig said:
You're not stating the obvious about anything. You're bitching. That's fine, I've been there, too, but at some point you have to realize what you're doing and calm the fuck down.

It's harder for offense to win. That doesn't make it impossible.

Actually, if both sides are COORDINATED, it becomes a lot more even. It's not my fault the vast majority of people who play this game are idiots.
So you admit that if two equally geared, skilled and coordinated groups went against each other the defense would win every time?

Poor design.

Twig

Banned
cuevas said:
So you admit that if two equally geared, skilled and coordinated groups went against each other the defense would win every time?

Poor design.
How do you get that out of
Poor reading comprehension.

Also, do you want to know WHY it should be harder for offense to win? Especially compared to the laughable idea that it should be easier for defense to win?

Because there needs to be a reason for defense to actually want to play. You already get a reward for winning, but if you're defending, then you've already had a chance at the sweet bonuses you get for holding TB. Knowing that, if it's impossible for defense to win, no one's going to actually want to play. EVERYONE wants to play offense, because they want to get access to the content, regardless of how difficult it is to win.

This is basic game design, and the fact that you don't understand it makes me doubt your ability to objectively criticize something like Tol Barad. You're just complaining. That's all you're doing.

Of course, the above is completely broken when it's much better for BOTH sides to just roll over and lose every other 4 hours thanks to the win-trading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom