• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never played WoW before... decided to jump in. lol what did I just get myself into WoWGAF? lol :lol

Just ordered from newegg:

1 x World of Warcraft PC Game BLIZZARD
1 x World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King Expansion Pack PC Game BLIZZARD
1 x World of Warcraft: Cataclysm PC Game BLIZZARD
1 x World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade PC Game BLIZZARD
2 x 60-Day Pre-Paid Game Card for the World of Warcraft PC Game BLIZZARD

hamchan

AmericanNinja said:
I've never played WoW before... decided to jump in. lol what did I just get myself into WoWGAF? lol :lol

Wow, jumping in head first, awesome :lol

If you haven't registered the games yet someone can use a recruit a friend and on you, so they get a free month and you get 10 free days I think.

LowParry

So for those who have started to raid, do you think bandages (35,000hp) are needed? Does it help the healers with mana?

hamchan said:
Wow, jumping in head first, awesome :lol

If you haven't registered the games yet someone can use a recruit a friend and on you, so they get a free month and you get 10 free days I think.

Oh Cool! Oh wait I did try the free trial a long time ago, just saw that on my account.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
AmericanNinja said:

Did you really pay $19.99 for WOW, and $29.99 BC? :/ Newegg has battlechest with both for $39.99. Amazon.com has it for #29.99.

Then.. when you consider newegg's tax.. :|

BTW: You get a month free, so don't use the time cards yet.

Alex

I havent come to an encounter where a bandage was a good idea yet. They should make em non-channeled but break if you take dmg.

LowParry

Alex said:
I havent come to an encounter where a bandage was a good idea yet. They should make em non-channeled but break if you take dmg.

Doesn't the channeling lesson as you get hit though?

SUPARSTARX

AmericanNinja said:

Good night sweet prince

Welcome to the club! :D :D

DeathNote said:
Did you really pay $19.99 for WOW, and $29.99 BC? :/ Newegg has battlechest with both for $39.99. Amazon.com has it for #29.99.

Then.. when you consider newegg's tax.. :|

BTW: You get a month free, so don't use the time cards yet.

oh man I didnt see that. blast. oh well. lol

SUPARSTARX said:
Good night sweet prince

Welcome to the club! :D :D

Thanks!:D

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Halycon said:
Their hamsters probably can't handle that many people in orgrimmar.
ok, maybe ALL the servers are a bit of a stretch. but merging the servers in the same battlegroup seems more reasonable.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
SnakeswithLasers said:
This TB stuff is gross. It sucks for the legit folks out there that glitching is delivering a significant gear advantage.
i dont mind. i got full Bloodthirsty legitimately with my last piece like two weeks ago (had honor cap when i dinged 85) and i dont feel like im getting screwed over because others are getting gear. The other side surely needed it in a bad way and this way they also get commendations for the alli that hit 85 in the last 2-3 weeks.

Alex

Scrow said:
ok, maybe ALL the servers are a bit of a stretch. but merging the servers in the same battlegroup seems more reasonable.

I don't think I want 10,000 people in the Stormwind AH at once.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Scrow said:
I'd love to be able to defect, but that would probably make things worse. Beyond that, forcing a merge and making people change names isn't going to happen.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
DeathNote said:
Beyond that, forcing a merge and making people change names isn't going to happen.
it won't happen, i agree, but not for the same reason you said. no need to force people to change names, just do the same thing as you see in battlegrounds/arenas where their server name identifies them uniquely.

Alex said:
I don't think I want 10,000 people in the Stormwind AH at once.
perhaps people would migrate to other cities as their home. org is my home, but i choose to stay in the quieter part of town (valley of honor?). if blizz implemented battlegroups in the open world, i'd have no qualms about making a city like TB my new home to escape the crowds.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Scrow said:
it won't happen, i agree, but not for the same reason you said. no need to force people to change names, just do the same thing as you see in battlegrounds/arenas where their server name identifies them uniquely.

perhaps people would migrate to other cities as their home. org is my home, but i choose to stay in the quieter part of town (valley of honor?). if blizz implemented battlegroups in the open world, i'd have no qualms about making a city like TB my new home to escape the crowds.
If you merge they will be on the same server. If they have a special "of old server" tag of some sort that shows up to choose who you pst that doesn't make sense. Roy of Akama? You're a Akama groupy? Is there a Deathwing server? lol. Roy fears Deathwing.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
DeathNote said:
If you merge they will be on the same server.
no, you're misunderstanding how i imagine it'd be implemented. i'm not saying they would merge the servers from a battlegroup into a single server, i'm saying that you'd still remain on your server, but people from other servers in the same battlegroup would be running around in the open world that you're also in.

simply put, think of how it works now in BGs/arenas/dungeons and apply that to the open world.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Scrow said:
no, you're misunderstanding how i imagine it'd be implemented. i'm not saying they would merge the servers from a battlegroup into a single server, i'm saying that you'd still remain on your server, but people from other servers in the same battlegroup would be running around in the open world that you're also in.

simply put, think of how it works now in BGs/arenas/dungeons and apply that to the open world.
If they could link servers into a mega server, maybe. But I'm pretty sure if you can see each other on screen you're on the same server and it can only handle so many people.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
DeathNote said:
I'm pretty sure if you can see each other on screen you're on the same server and it can only handle so many people.
ah ok, maybe. i'm sketchy on the specifics of how the tech works under the hood.

Twig

Banned
Alex said:
My solution is always just to erase primary factions and let players pick an Aldor/Scyer like "philosophy" that dictates the competitive fare and quest variance. Something with Nature VS Industry would be a fun overall theme that'd allow smart reuse of old content. It'd fix an ass ton of issues and make the game a lot more comfortable.

Of course, I understand the argument that it'd remove flavor from the game for sure, it's just to me the whole Horde VS Alliance spiel lost it's luster long ago. It'll be a very long time before a possible Warcraft IV and it's just (greatly) impeding game design. Some people are stuck on ghost towns where they can't use the AH or raid, Horde have gigantic PvP queues, no outdoor PvP works, etc. It'd really fix a lot. =/

I mean, hell just for me, it'd be nice to be able to play the Goblin I want (without starting over or paying even more bucks to xfer) and can't because my realms population is 1,000,000 Alliance 30 Horde.
This is something I would LOVE to happen. Fuck the lore. (I even like the lore, but game comes before lore ALWAYS.)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Trolling people who troll people on the bridge is fun :D

Lulz pvp diehards.

Halycon said:
Hey we should merge your server with mine (Area 52), we have 1000000 horde and 30 alliance!

Tol Barad queues for ALL.

But yes I'd love player chosen factions, with a some mechanic in place to keep check of populations so one doesn't completely shadow over the other.

I doubt blizzard would ever consider it though.

Mainly cuz that's the thing a withering MMO does, and WoW isn't withering.

Twig

Banned
Halycon said:
Trolling people who troll people on the bridge is fun :D

Lulz pvp diehards.
Someone ring of frosted the Horde on the bridge earlier today. I was in the water at the time so I was saved. Teehee.

Rokam

Sai-kun said:
someone wanted to charge me money to make the sandstone drake, even though i had all the mats?

wat??

Without them having alchemy and archaeology leveled up and putting in the time you wouldn't be getting your drake. Most people are going to charge you.

Sai-kun

Banned
meh, that just doesn't make sense to me. if there was a cd like living elements or truegold or w/e, then i'd understand. but it's not like giving the guy an obscene amount of money will help him make it any faster. if i had it i'd be giving that shit away because it's awesome and more people should have it

hamchan

Just like real life they're providing a service to you because they have the necessary skills. And just like real life, if you don't like it you can find someone who will make it for cheaper or learn it yourself. :D

Sai-kun

Banned
ughh it's probably because i'm a little drunk but that pisses me off. i would totally make the drake for myself and gladly just make it for anyone who have the mats. it takes like 20 seconds probably, and doesn't cost me any materials, so i don't see the point in charging for it. if someone wanted to tip me, sure, that's fine, i'm totally down with tipping.

whatever though!

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Sai-kun said:
ughh it's probably because i'm a little drunk but that pisses me off. i would totally make the drake for myself and gladly just make it for anyone who have the mats. it takes like 20 seconds probably, and doesn't cost me any materials, so i don't see the point in charging for it. if someone wanted to tip me, sure, that's fine, i'm totally down with tipping.

whatever though!
If it was something that they got from a vendor recipe then i can almost agree with you. That thing comes from Arch though, right? If they charged 50,000 + mats it would still be fair.

Sai-kun

Banned
so like

charging to make someone a Jeeves would be totally acceptable?

(i should really just drop this)

edit: don't answer this question! :D *goes back to archaeology*

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
As an alchemist leveling up Arch solely for the drake, I can empathize with him.

Also reposting this in case any of you are macro experts:

Myself said:
I'm looking for a macro that will cast immolate in place of UA and incinerate in place to shadowbolt if my shadow spells are interrupted/silenced/cded whatever. Is this possible? Can I just use a macro that says

/cast Shadowbolt
/cast Immolate

I don't have enough slots left to bind those spells but I realize I need them if I want to stand a chance against mages.

Been having lots of fun with Afflic in pvp. Haven't tried destro yet but I might. Seems like it would be like playing a mage with less control/survivability/burst/mobility

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
so... like, i totes didn't realise that you could trade black fallow ink for inferno ink in dalaran. -_-;

i'm not sure how much money i've wasted buying herbs to mill for burning embers, but far too much considering i've got HEAPS of black fallow ink.

Twig

Banned
Sai-kun said:
someone wanted to charge me money to make the sandstone drake, even though i had all the mats?

wat??
Um, good. They should charge you.

You want it "free", you put in the work yourself. CAPITALISM, BUDDY.

Won

Sai-kun said:

wat??

If you don't own the recipe, then you don't have all the mats to create the drake.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Sai-kun said:
so like

charging to make someone a Jeeves would be totally acceptable?

(i should really just drop this)

edit: don't answer this question! :D *goes back to archaeology*
Charing for any service is acceptable. People usually give "tips" to a mage for a port or a rogue for opening a lock box.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
People talking trash in a dungeon party then immediately leaving is amusing. Give someone a chance to reply, I can sign on your server and set you straight whether it's directed to me or not. You can't get a last word in wow.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
DeathNote said:
Charing for any service is acceptable. People usually give "tips" to a mage for a port or a rogue for opening a lock box.
What kinds of things can I find in a lockbox? I found a couple dungeoning but it never occurred to me to give them to rogues.

DeathNote said:
People talking trash in a dungeon party then immediately leaving is amusing. Give someone a chance to reply, I can sign on your server and set you straight whether it's directed to me or not. You can't get a last word in wow.
True story: On a Dungeon Finder run in god-knows-where (lots of marble and groups of ogres) I had to put the ret paladin on ignore because he just wouldn't accept that I was a protection warrior. Not even the shield icon or shield bashes made him shut up. Why as I dying so easily? He kept pulling adds and I had to corral them all. Made me give up on instances for a couple of days.

Sitting here this morning grinding out South Island Iced Tea for http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=5467 and getting our guild the feast recipe. Started out needing about 1250, only 400 to go!

We had some impromptu first raiding on Thursday night and killed trash in Blackwing Descent/Bastion of Twilight. Trash was pretty easy once you figured out the mechanics and we spent some time wiping on Magmaw just so people could learn the fight. We definitely did not have the necessary DPS to kill the adds fast enough, but it got people motivated to gear up more. Right now we are in a position with two or three well geared healers, two fairly well geared tanks, and only two well geared melee DPS. We are so lacking in ranged DPS that it is beyond sad.

We went to Baradin Hold after all of that just to give the boss a shot and actually got him down to 150k when he enraged. I tried bubbling when everyone else dies to let some dots tick longer and to do some sad DPS, but it was not enough. Attempt after that we got him to 350K when he enraged, but we also lost one of our higher DPS about 45 seconds before that. Sadly the area changed hands at that point so we are going back Monday night and I am sure we have him.

newb question: im getting a new laptop in a few months and I was wondering can I install WoW on my desktop and laptop and switch playing WoW between my desktop and laptop? or can you only have WoW installed on one PC?

Songbird

Prodigal Son
AmericanNinja said:
newb question: im getting a new laptop in a few months and I was wondering can I install WoW on my desktop and laptop and switch playing WoW between my desktop and laptop? or can you only have WoW installed on one PC?
You can have WoW on as many PCs as you want, as your account is online and you can sign in from anywhere. The new patcher makes it very easy too, providing you have a stable connection you can stream most of the game after getting the core stuff.

Ed: Also if you're just starting out I highly recommend adding an authenticator to your Battle.net account! You can get an iOS version or call a toll-free number to add extra security to your account. Blizzard's java authenticator on mobiles is what I use, it cost less than £1 total.

Sai-kun said:

whatever though!
Yeah but they put the effort into leveling their profession. I always tip people for cutting gems or enchanting something because they leveled it and bought the recipes.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
The sand drake takes

- INSANE amount of effort put into it first to level arch up
- INSANE amount of effort to dig a lot of useless shit in Kalimdor since Uldum shares digsites with the whole continent, like 13% are in Uldum
- INSANE amount of luck to get the damn sand drake thing to solve.

Everyone is going to be charging for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom