• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twig

Banned
I hate Blackrock Depths. D:

It is easily my least favorite PvE instance in the entire game, ever. Including Molten Core.
markot said:
Well the class imbalance has been clear since they started having 85s on beta. None of this is a surprise yet they havent patched anything yet really. Priests being almost useless and so easy to counter, having no real CC, no real instants yet being so easy to shut down. Holy being the only decent spec for pvp heals, disc being just a mess... etc...

TB for one is just a mess, population imbalance just ruins it, the completely inactive Alliance guards VS the horde guards who get you if you come within sight of them. Making every spot on the damn map campable for the horde, GYs, spawn points, quest spots... you name it.

How grindy it is to get the basic honour gear still VS how unfun it is without resilliance gear. So you need to gear up to get gear to have fun in pvp... so you can get more gear... rinse repeat. Im just not interested in gear grinds really, and that is alllll endgame is still. There is no other way to advance.

The fact that it took them the patch before Cata to Fix Wintergrasp... Makes me hopeful for TB being awesome.... the week before the next xpac launches.
I can undestand all those complaints, and even agree with all but one!

TBP (read: Tol Barad Peninsula, not the win-trade bullshit) is a blast, and I'm speaking from the point of view of the lower population (Horde). Alliance almost always outnumber us on that island, but me and my friends enjoy it quite a bit!

Alliance camp guards being bugged, but not Horde guards is kind of BS, though, hah. (I'd rather they remove guards entirely, but I know I'm in the MINORITY of minorities here.)

Retro

markot said:
I like BRD, the only problem is how long the damn thing is >_>

Id like more dungeons like that, but shorter... they should aim for 30 minutes each. More then that and it just starts to dragggggggggggggg. For me anyway...

BRD and Upper/Lower BRS was just... amazing. It felt like a huge, sprawling dark iron city, complete with barracks, bar, armories, a prison... it was and still is the most epic feeling dungeon in the game.

I was really sad to see Blackrock Caverns was basically just a linear path with a big room of bosses at the end.

Twig said:
I hate Blackrock Depths. D:

It is easily my least favorite PvE instance in the entire game, ever. Including Molten Core.

I agree that BRD can be a bit tedious because of the sprawling layout, abundance of patrols, etc. It's not something you can pick up and do quickly, and it can be a bit frustrating at times. However, it still has a ton of charm and going in there felt like a real adventure that was full of surprises, even on your 10th or 20th time in there (and sometimes you went that often). There was even a bos I had never seen before when I did BRD on my DK alt...

SquirrelNuckle said:
With a good group were out in just over 30 minutes.

I can remember my guildies and I got Heroic Shattered halls down to about 40 minutes and were insanely proud of that fact.

markot

Banned
On my server its crazy imbalanced. They can just sit on GYs, at the port in place in the camp and just... well camp you till they get bored or you log off. I love world pvp, but to me this isnt it.

Blizz is trying to 'capture' the magic of world pvp, Isle... all that stuff. But it doesnt work when you are so overwhelmed by the opposition in every single spot of the map. Then it just becomes a... hope they dont notice you if you want some tokens and get out asap kind of thing >.< There are no real battles, no... contest, its so one sided. You cant do real world pvp if you have no interest in balance. WG on our server was a mess untill the fix a week out that capped the populations. We were literally camped in the gys most of the time simply because it was so one sided. To me that isnt fun for either side, and not a 'healthy' sort of world pvp.

J-Rzez

I'm really enjoying the game, probably because it's still fresh, but I'll still say that they shouldn't have put so much effort into the 1-60 stuff, and concentrated more on the endgame.

No new professions (arch doesn't count, period)
No new classes
Half-baked profession plans
Queue throttling for TB
Unbalanced leveling experiences in the zones (Vash being horribly long, DH being so small/short, etc)

They really neutered a bit of the content this time before it launched this time around, which is disappointing, and some new class abilities are one's that were supposed to be in Wrath but they removed at the last hour.

Still, the game is great fun right now, they made a lot of positive changes, but negative issues are so glaring it really drags down the quality of the experience. Still more fun than Wrath though, period.

And FFS Blizzard, stop recycling art, ESPECIALLY tier sets. Something so special and yet they have to throw that shit out there so anyone with said proficiency can look like their fellow class's iconic tier set.

Twig

Banned
markot said:
On my server its crazy imbalanced. They can just sit on GYs, at the port in place in the camp and just... well camp you till they get bored or you log off. I love world pvp, but to me this isnt it.

Blizz is trying to 'capture' the magic of world pvp, Isle... all that stuff. But it doesnt work when you are so overwhelmed by the opposition in every single spot of the map. Then it just becomes a... hope they dont notice you if you want some tokens and get out asap kind of thing >.< There are no real battles, no... contest, its so one sided. You cant do real world pvp if you have no interest in balance. WG on our server was a mess untill the fix a week out that capped the populations. We were literally camped in the gys most of the time simply because it was so one sided. To me that isnt fun for either side, and not a 'healthy' sort of world pvp.
I kind of wish Blizzard would implement some sort of "no new Horde/Alliance characters on this server" policy to help balance out populations so people don't feel this disheartened about world PvP. It's my favorite thing about WoW, but Blizzard does so little to fix the problems inherent to it. ): Seems like right now all they do is encourage TOTAL population to stay high, not faction population.

Hrm. I just got my Metamorphosis, and it seems really cool, but it says I get some abilities when im in that form, but I cant find them anywhere....

help!

Twig

Banned
Oh god Alliance are attacking Org and I just hearthed back there and it's taking forever to load and TB is about to start.

Hahaha, I got owned. D:

EDIT: Lagged out, lawl.

Retro said:
The old world was revamped, to be sure, but the questing was at or just below the majority of WotLK quests (again, in my opinion).

This strikes me as a completely wild complaint. "Sure, they revamped the entire old world from 1-60, but they only took it from having terrible quest design to having really good quest design and not any farther!"

Everyone's entitled to their opinions, obviously, and I feel like you've done well to explain yours in detail rather than just throw them out without justifications, but I feel like you're kind of too close to the matter to judge accurately how big of a change the old-world revamp really is and what a gamechanger it is to be able to go back and revamp old content on that level.

Twig said:
I kind of wish Blizzard would implement some sort of "no new Horde/Alliance characters on this server" policy to help balance out populations so people don't feel this disheartened about world PvP. It's my favorite thing about WoW, but Blizzard does so little to fix the problems inherent to it. ): Seems like right now all they do is encourage TOTAL population to stay high, not faction population.

This is something I deeply dislike. I'm playing one Horde character on Magtheridon right now (high-pop day-one PvP with huge pops of both Horde and Alliance); my wife and a bunch of college buddies are in a guild on Medivh, which has like... 2000 total Horde characters. :lol The auction houses are a ghost town over there and I don't even want to imagine what it's like for world PvP.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Started to cut my teeth at healing the Cata heroics on my pally. So far it hasn't been too bad. I know I'm a bit spoiled with my mana regen thanks to judgements, but I'll take what I can get in that area. :p So far, I've only done Heroic Tol'vir and Stonecore, but they went pretty well. Tol'vir we just steamrolled, but Stonecore took some work. Definitely noticing that the biggest thing that will make life easier or more difficult for the healer is how on the ball everyone else is. When everyone was cc'ing, interrupting, and not standing in bad stuff, there was very little in the way of incoming damage. At some points I just found myself twiddling my thumbs, watching my judgement CD. :p

I do like that there's a lot more going on in the boss fights in heroics this time, making people move around a lot more, and use more of their abilities. Hopefully in a few weeks, I'll be geared for raiding, and can see how that goes.

Twig

Banned
Just keep trying. I think everyone's having that problem right now. I eventually get in, every time.
charlequin said:
This strikes me as a completely wild complaint. "Sure, they revamped the entire old world from 1-60, but they only took it from having terrible quest design to having really good quest design and not any farther!"
I can understand the complaint. It's basically just "more of the same", if you already have a level 80 character ready to hit endgame and if the storytelling sucks (it does, despite the story being interesting (to me)). There's very little to get excited about for some people in that regard.
This is something I deeply dislike. I'm playing one Horde character on Magtheridon right now (high-pop day-one PvP with huge pops of both Horde and Alliance); my wife and a bunch of college buddies are in a guild on Medivh, which has like... 2000 total Horde characters. :lol The auction houses are a ghost town over there and I don't even want to imagine what it's like for world PvP.
I honestly don't know why anyone would WANT to roll on a server like that... Horde or Alliance.

Sai-kun

Banned
Okay, so I got the 2000 quests completed achievement a couple days after Cata came out, but I checked today, and my 3000 quest tracker shows that I only have 1763 completed. WTF?

Twig

Banned
Sai-kun said:
Okay, so I got the 2000 quests completed achievement a couple days after Cata came out, but I checked today, and my 3000 quest tracker shows that I only have 1763 completed. WTF?
More than a few cheesemints appear to be bugged out like that. Dunno.

Twig said:
I can understand the complaint. It's basically just "more of the same"

Well, I mean, I get it too, but for someone who didn't spend a year hanging out in Northrend, Cataclysm really is basically like subbing to WoW 2. (And I'm not sure how much I buy the idea that WoW is drastically inferior to any other comparable-genre MMO in terms of questing and zone design.)

Twig said:
I honestly don't know why anyone would WANT to roll on a server like that... Horde or Alliance.

My one friend's fiancee has like ten people in her family who all play and they have a guild on that server, so he transferred all his characters there, and then a bunch of my friends resubbed and transferred there to play with him, and then my wife resubbed and transferred there to play with them, and Mag is a huge shithole where the channels are all just ethnic slurs 24/7...

But yeah, I kind of don't want to go. :(

Dresden

I've grown weirdly fond of RP servers. There's slightly less Thunderfury spam in Trade chat, and seeing odd people do RP things just walking around is... cool?

And I laughed my ass off when I flew to Goldshire to check it out at night, against everyone's advice. I think I'll take a screenshot tonight.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Retro said:
I'd wager good money that 80% of the people claiming to be stoned have never taken a toke. I'd also bet that most of them are too young to drive.

I'll take a page from J-Rez and say that while I dislike many things about WoW, it's still the best MMO on the market.

Having said that, I think being the best has allowed Blizzard to rest on their laurels too much and Cataclysm just feels like the effort was lacking.

I wasn't expecting WoW to suddenly play like a completely different game (personally, I wouldn't want it to either), but the evolution of the game from Vanilla to TBC to Wrath all felt substantial. Cataclysm, on the other hand, felt like it was just a continuation of Wrath without really bringing anything new. Two new races, but that didn't shake things up anywhere near the level of Horde Paladins / Alliance Shamans or Death Knights. The new race combinations are entirely cosmetic. The old world was revamped, to be sure, but the questing was at or just below the majority of WotLK quests (again, in my opinion).

There was no new primary profession, and I think we can all agree that archeology doesn't have the same impact that Jewelcrafting or Inscription had.

Guild Advancement was watered down at the last minute, Rated BGs were hyped up and turned out to be a huge let down... I mean, the Features list of Cataclysm doesn't really wow.

I'm not waxing nostalgic for previous expansion content, I'm just saying; the content jumped in quality substantially with each expansion except Cataclysm, in my opinion.

I don't feel like I was being 'ranty' and I'm sorry if I came off like that. In my mind and as I was writing, my mentality was more along the lines of being sad that the time and personal acknowledgment had finally come that I'm just not going to play WoW anymore, and the frustration towards the elements that made that decision happen.

I honestly expected Cata to improve the game at or near the same level of improvement that accompanied the previous expansions. That may be my own personal fault for expecting too much, but I don't feel like I was (and I think others feel the same). I'm not angry at Blizzard, just kind of saying "Well, we had a good run, but this is where I get off".

I don't see how your cheating analogy fits, maybe it was meant more for the tone than the actual substance of the discussion.
The core of the gameplay has been the same for 6 years. Quest in these zones, pvp in these battlegrounds, do these dungeons, do these raids, stepping stone gear, grind this rep.

Every expansion and patch has just been an improvement on existing concepts. Adding new zones, races, professions, raids, flying, improve queues, improve old zones , improve talent trees, improve the way you get gear outside of raids, UI, improve how you get rep.

They didn't add a new profession, but would that magically make the game more fun? Just another improvement.

It is wow 2.0 for someone who was in vanilla or TBC, but I think it's 1.5 for WOTLK folks. All the veteran that are getting burnt out are wanting an official WOW sequel. A big graphics upgrade is step 1. Step 2 is more intuitive game play design.

I think the next few years of WOW is just improvement and that the core gameplay will always be the same. The only graphics improvement will probably be more polygons in models. They should have done it this expansion.

Alex

Cataclysm so far reams the intro period of WOTLK, it's not even funny how much better it is, you can nit pick the little things, but the actual content? No goddamn way. Especially ANYTHING end game, and especially raiding. I'm still mad about Naxxramas being recycled for months of content and not only recycled but they RUINED it for 80, it was nothing like it was at 60.

Not sure what is a let down with Rated BGs though, we've started ours and it's been really fun so far.

My only big let downs are:

-Skipped zones in the old world update, like Arathi, dropped ball for sure considering some of them were really interesting ones.

On that note, personally, I think the design and especially pacing and flow of the new world stuff kicks the shit out of WOTLK. Wrath had good quest design, but it was plagued by it's samey themeing and immense travel times. Good quests, off kilter themeing and pace.

Still though, the old world update is indeed a notch below the 81-85 content, which is a shame.

-Tol Barad, nice concept, nice hub design, really bad victory conditions which resulted in the current hilarious mess.

-Existing server issues. Not really a Cata gripe but It's been six years, and it's more of a problem than ever with a lot of servers and faction balance. Something needs to be done outside of lazy ass free transfers which no one takes. No one is going to go to Tumbleweed Town just because it's free.

Speaking of which, I'm sitting outside of Tol Barad now, there are several hundred alliance who don't get to play. Even when this zone is fixed, they wont get to play. I've yet to get into an actual match yet at all. Ghost factions, giant bg queues, etc. Fix this shit somehow.

-Itemization. shitty stats for everyone! samey gear, giant holes in loot (warriors don't even get a pre-raid ranged item, nice) and a really awkward balance struck where PvP loot is suddenly ok for PvE again.

Retro said:
I'm not 100% sure I follow what you're getting at, but what I experienced of Cata boss fights (keeping in mind I didn't do any heroics) felt like the better content of WotLK in terms of interesting mechanics (that is, they weren't simply the same old tank-and-spank affair). That's good, and I enjoyed that. It was a continuation of a positive change Blizzard made, and though they didn't advance it too much, it was still good. Not complaining there.

That's basically the jist of it: the memory of Wrath lingers on, but it's changed back to a more sustainable, time-tested coop RPG boss system that's been around for decades, and some who didn't do that or got comfortable with the inevitable victory model are still recovering.

Again, it's a personal gripe, but I hate this persistent mentality that nothing should surprise. But that's the way MMOs are, have been, and likely always will be. I accept that, but I still like to bitch about it. The playerbase is just too fixated on the reward and the bar is set too high. When you have people dropping group without even attempting explanations ("My power is going out, g2g", "My cat is on fire, g2g", etc.) after one wipe... the bar is just too high.

I'm one of the few haters of WotLK who do not think the game was dumbed down to attract people who were not PC gamers, MMO players, or RPG fans; it was made a shitton more predictable to do that. This isn't something that didnt affect hardcores either. Many got REAL comfortable with the mentality of the fights breaking down to a sort of "know your role" with less necessary teamwork, less variables, and less time feeling godlike and never having to taste a wipe come gametime. End result? EVERY group at EVERY level has to be a constant stream of success, then BWIP! back to Dalaran to stand around with our thumbs up our butts or log off to play L4D or DOTA.

I think, because of my latent desires to be in game development, that I probably have put much more thought into how the games I play affect me than most. I've spent a lot of time considering what it is about WoW that I enjoy and what I don't, and the longer I play the first list grows shorter while the second grows longer. I'm not saying WoW is evil, but there have been points where the mentality I fall into because of extended play scare me a little. I'm not talking about "Oh my god, I spent all day playing and I haven't showered in a week" kind of thing, I mean... playing other games and feeling let down because I'm not continually chasing rewards or getting stronger. One thing I noticed in particular is that I play much more recklessly in other games because I'm so used to not watching my health (I have healers for that), and also tend to fall into farming habits ("Oh, this monster drops item x, I should kill them repeatedly so if I need 500 of them, I'll have 'em!").

It's one of my hardest things to teach about game design, and it gets harder every year this generation: the path of least resistance is dangerous. It's really, really hard to tell a person "no, you should have to hunt for quest givers! no, you should have to conserve your gold! no, its in your best interest to only have those on your server to group with!". People act as if I'm out to shit on their fun and turn it back to EQ. :lol

It's like ice cream. Great for a treat, but eat it every meal and you'll get both fat and sick of the stuff and that was exactly as I was starting to feel as I become very very thin-skinned at any kind of long journey, any wiping, any shortage of gold or materials that I'd have to *GASP* farm. People need their whole grains and veggies. I was staying for those cheap and easy addictive parts, not the quality parts (friends and guildies quitting or Xferring off the server every week didn't help matters.)[/QUOTE]

Alex

Oh, also, this may not be a popular thing to say, but can someone explain the appeal of the modern Rogue for anything outside of maybe single target PvE damage?

Rogue was a cool class in vanilla. Even through a lot of BC, but even when it's working well, it just seems like it's a relic.

Nothing about it's playstyle or pacing seems to fit in. Even when they take eons to stealth and set up targets, it doesn't seem to give them any actual tangible advantage. As soon as that stun wears off, they have to blow every single cooldown they have just to stay alive.

Feral Druid seems like the modern Rogue. (granted, I'd never play that either, but at least I can see it's large benefits)

People act as if I'm out to shit on their fun and turn it back to EQ

Wrath had huge content faults, but the actual fundamentals behind a lot of it, and the framework improvements were really, really good and really important. That's what I'm hoping Cataclysm can do, keep those polished systems going but with more reasonable content. What I like about the current crop of stuff is that even when you have the gear to hack through it easier and easier, the mechanics in place at least require some decent action play that'll always keep stupid people down to a fair degree.

Alex said:
Wrath had huge content faults, but the actual fundamentals behind a lot of it, and the framework improvements were really, really good and really important. That's what I'm hoping Cataclysm can do, keep those polished systems going but with more reasonable content. What I like about the current crop of stuff is that even when you have the gear to hack through it easier and easier, the mechanics in place at least require some decent action play that'll always keep stupid people down to a fair degree.

Cata's allowing that to actually happen. "Learn or burn." There is no more "MUST SEE CONTENT. SUCCESS EQUAL FUN." bullshit being spewed by blues any more. As for the first point, they have yet to prove they can pull that off yet. They are still being judged after that erratic drought of the last two years.

Xevren

As a caster what are good enchants for weapons besides power torrent? I know I'll get that eventually but I'm just wanting something a bit more accessible for now. Still kind of learning a bit and was curious what else is decent while not being too crazy in the price range.

Hit 85 yesterday and it's the first time having a high lvl WoW character, having a blast with my friends. Got geared up for heroics and ran a few, did pretty good for the most part so I'm happy. Close to getting my elementium spellblade, woo!

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I hate this rare ring that's my next Tol'vir artifact. Taking way too long, I want my jar!

And what's the grayed out icon for archaeology with the Indiana Jones equipment? It's the last icon.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Nobiru said:
Hrm. I just got my Metamorphosis, and it seems really cool, but it says I get some abilities when im in that form, but I cant find them anywhere....

help!

If you havent found them by now, it's Immolation Aura and Demonic Leap (or something like that) in your Spellbook :)

scoobs

Woot! My guild killed magmaw and omnitron defense system :D :D Some awful DK outrolled me on the plate bracers. Stung pretty bad considering I was doing about 15k dps, and he was doing 10. Oh well, still pumped. Nothing more satisfying than first boss kills, all that hard work paying off

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Alex said:
Oh, also, this may not be a popular thing to say, but can someone explain the appeal of the modern Rogue for anything outside of maybe single target PvE damage?

Rogue was a cool class in vanilla. Even through a lot of BC, but even when it's working well, it just seems like it's a relic.

Nothing about it's playstyle or pacing seems to fit in. Even when they take eons to stealth and set up targets, it doesn't seem to give them any actual tangible advantage. As soon as that stun wears off, they have to blow every single cooldown they have just to stay alive.

Feral Druid seems like the modern Rogue. (granted, I'd never play that either, but at least I can see it's large benefits)
Stealth is and can be a lot of fun. As far as druid vs rogue, rogues can actually see their gear and 100% of their abilities are melee orientated as opposed to ~30%. Random numbers but you get the idea. Slow stealth movement sucks in random BGs tho.

mcrae

Trasher said:
Deadmines says "hi."

about a week ago i was in there from 730ish, untill 330am. started out with a full group, everyone except me and the tank quit after we wiped on trash after the first boss, and from then on out the other two dps and the healer were constantly rotating in and out, the tank and i figure we went through about 15 party-mates before we finally downed cookie. we all quit after 3 wipes on the bonus round, what a fucking night that was. pugs lol.

mcrae said:
about a week ago i was in there from 730ish, untill 330am. started out with a full group, everyone except me and the tank quit after we wiped on trash after the first boss, and from then on out the other two dps and the healer were constantly rotating in and out, the tank and i figure we went through about 15 party-mates before we finally downed cookie. we all quit after 3 wipes on the bonus round, what a fucking night that was. pugs lol.

You were in Deadmines for 8hrs? o_0

Ramirez

mcrae said:

Wow. :lol

Hixx

Tol'vir heroic is almost 'Wrath-like'. AoE fest trash, snooze-worthy bosses, bar the first one which was easy just takes fucking ages... nice quick 300 justice points though.

Ferrio

Banned
I haven't had a bad pug in awhile, people are geared up enough now and know the fights that' they're becoming routine. Being the tank also helps I suppose. Like they say you want something done right...

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Ferrio said:
I haven't had a bad pug in awhile, people are geared up enough now and know the fights that' they're becoming routine. Being the tank also helps I suppose. Like they say you want something done right...
I'm getting annoyed on my low level healing and dps alts. So many tanks that only attacking one mob.

SatelliteOfLove said:
It's one of my hardest things to teach about game design, and it gets harder every year this generation: the path of least resistance is dangerous. It's really, really hard to tell a person "no, you should have to hunt for quest givers! no, you should have to conserve your gold! no, its in your best interest to only have those on your server to group with!". People act as if I'm out to shit on their fun and turn it back to EQ. :lol

See, I agree very much with the principle, but two of your three examples are kind of terrible. :lol

It's very important to have elements of risk/reward and to force people to make choices or fail at things, but historically one of the problems with MMOs is that they put these decisions in lousy places. Does having to hunt for quest givers really emphasize and reward good play? No, it just means it's harder to find things to do and -- if it's hard enough -- people will outsource their game knowledge to external sources anyway. Same thing with running dungeons. Having to actually drag together groups to PUG was difficult and frustrating, but it didn't actually teach a tremendously useful skill (especially since most people would wind up bypassing this process once they hit cap anyway.)

I think the best approach is to make these kind of quality-of-life areas as easy as possible -- show people quest areas on their map, let people fly around the zones, show people their hit cap and stat effects in their character tab -- but then force people to actually play their class well in the actual content.

Twig

Banned
I think that kind of philosophy definitely works best for the majority, but not necessarily for everyone.

A tangent:

It is kind of depressing to me that in a "massively multiplayer" game, not everyone can play together because there are people with different kinds of tastes so they all spread out to different kinds of games and server types. I wish there was a way to force everyone of all different "MMO philosophies" (for lack of a better way to put it) to play together. Kind of like Ultima Online was originally - the only choice.

I am constantly saddened by the fact that I didn't beg me mammy dear to let me play Ultima Online when I was a kid. I got griefed to hell and back in Diablo 2 (haha, get it, hell), so I think I could've handled it, and would have loved it. ):

Retro

charlequin said:

Oh, don't get me wrong; the redesign of the old world quests was long overdue and brought them up from terrible to tolerable. Just getting questgivers in the same area and eliminating the wild goose chases across multiple continents is great. That's a welcome change and I'm not overlooking how significant that is. But that's something we saw implemented way back in TBC.

What I'm getting at is, the jump between WotLK quest design and Cata questing didn't really bring anything new to the table. TBC brought better quest organization, improved drop rates and daily quests (along with more variety like bombing runs, etc). WotLK brought more variety too (vehicles, jousting, etc.) and added the quest tracker, and some degree of phasing in certain quests / zones.

The only thing Cata quests do over WotLK quests is auto-update without having to return to the quest giver. Normally I'd say that's a HUGE improvement, but from 80-85 and 0-mid-40s, I saw it used very sparingly (more in the higher level zones) and missing in lots of places where it made a ton of sense. There were still a lot of situations where I'd kill 15 mobs, turn it in, and then have to return to the exact same spot to steal 10 crates or some such.

And you can tell that the potential is there because Silverpine was AMAZING. The whole zone felt like an epic story from start to finish. Maybe that set my expectations too high, but nothing I played after that was anywhere near as cool, and a lot of zones felt like the same quests were just slightly adjusted, and in some cases not even that. The Goblin area was pretty impressive too.

I'm just wondering why it feels like the best of WotLK quest design was distilled and applied liberally to some zones and others feel like they were just given a quick once-over. I mean, they're revamping the entire old world; Cataclysm is basically the only chance Blizzard is going to get to do that kind of thing, to reboot. Where was all of this time spent if much of the game still acts very much the same in all but a handful of zones?

Again, I don't want to get all J-rezzy here, but... there's less new zones than any previous expansion. No major profession. No new class. The number of dungeons is lower (I think, don't quote me on that) and none of them are exceptionally large in size. A great number of art assets have been reused, even when they glaringly stick out against the new design.

I'm not asking for the moon, but why is it there are only a handful of Silverpines and everything else just feels half-assed? That's what I'm getting at. Old-world questing has never been better, but apart from a few amazing exceptions, the only major things that have changed are the quest text and giver locations, and that fails to deliver on the potential we saw in WotLK.

charlequin said:
Well, I mean, I get it too, but for someone who didn't spend a year hanging out in Northrend, Cataclysm really is basically like subbing to WoW 2. (And I'm not sure how much I buy the idea that WoW is drastically inferior to any other comparable-genre MMO in terms of questing and zone design.)

I'm not sure I follow so I'll keep this short and sweet. Are you implying that anyone who was a pre-cata subscriber should just shut up and let the new or pre-wotlk returning players enjoy the upgrades, knowing that the full potential of WotLK-era quests isn't being utilized?

As far as other MMOs, WoW questing is a little behind, and could catch up (and surpass) quite easily if they tried. Again, Silverpine is easily the best zone I've ever quested in, in any MMO. I don't want to ignite a huge WoW vs. other MMOs debate, but WoW is still very very very good compared to other MMOs, but that gap is closing very quickly and WoW still has a lot of very mechanical game-y stuff that other MMOs have done away with.

DeathNote said:
The core of the gameplay has been the same for 6 years. Quest in these zones, pvp in these battlegrounds, do these dungeons, do these raids, stepping stone gear, grind this rep.

Every expansion and patch has just been an improvement on existing concepts. Adding new zones, races, professions, raids, flying, improve queues, improve old zones , improve talent trees, improve the way you get gear outside of raids, UI, improve how you get rep.

They didn't add a new profession, but would that magically make the game more fun? Just another improvement.

That's just it though; it would make the game more fun and it would be more than 'just another improvement'. By your logic, adding zones, races, professions, raids, talents, etc. are 'just improvements'. I'd venture to say that EVERY expansion is nothing more than a collection of 'just another improvement's. When you look at Cataclysm, the number of those improvements feels strangely lessened.

DeathNote said:
It is wow 2.0 for someone who was in vanilla or TBC, but I think it's 1.5 for WOTLK folks. All the veteran that are getting burnt out are wanting an official WOW sequel.

Again, I don't think "Cataclysm ROCKS if you've never played WoW before" is justification for Cataclysm being less than up-to-snuff, nor is "Well, you guys are going to play our next MMO, so be happy with this half-assed expansion." I know that sounds entitled and I'm not saying Blizzard 'owes' me an amazing expansion; I'm just saying that the "Cataclysm isn't for WotLK players" justification doesn't follow.

DeathNote said:
A big graphics upgrade is step 1. Step 2 is more intuitive game play design. I think the next few years of WOW is just improvement and that the core gameplay will always be the same. The only graphics improvement will probably be more polygons in models. They should have done it this expansion.

I think it's more than apparent to everyone at this point that WoW is basically going to tread water for the foreseeable future. Cataclysm feels like Blizzard's best chance to really reboot WoW and while they did upgrade it quite a bit, it still has some glaring holes. Character models, for example, are looking particularly dated, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed.

But what has Cataclysm brought to the table that's new, not just long-overdue improvements? More importantly, what's new in the context of not just WoW, but other MMOs? Other than just sheer market volume, how does Cataclysm overtake the competition which has slowly been gaining on them in subscriptions and overtaking them regularly in the features department?

I don't feel like it did, and all the expansion has done is fixed holes. I mean, what are you actually getting in the Cataclysm box that wasn't patched in already? Actually, that's kind of the point; Cata feels more like a huge content patch rather than a full expansion. For a returning player that's gret, but... all Cata did was raise the quality level of the old content up to WotLK levels, and not much further.

Hmm, other posts I want to respond to but this one is a bit long already. I'll end here and check back later. I'm glad we can actually have a reasonable discussion on WoW in this thread.

Retro said:
I'm not sure I follow so I'll keep this short and sweet. Are you implying that anyone who was a pre-cata subscriber should just shut up and let the new or pre-wotlk returning players enjoy the upgrades, knowing that the full potential of WotLK-era quests isn't being utilized?

No, I'm absolutely not. Definitely don't shut up. :lol I would very much rather you continue to talk about it, because saying more helps make your positions clearer (and because we definitely don't enforce any kind of "only be positive" policy around here.)

What I'm really trying to get at is that I see a big disconnect in people I talk to between people who were already sick of WoW during Wrath (and wanted Cataclysm to get them excited again) and people who either were still enthusiastic or who were coming back. Here's kind of how that disconnect looks to me:

Former group: "Ugh, I was already sick of the content in the game, and all this expansion does is add more content like that."

Latter group: "I love the quality of the later content in this game, and this expansion adds lots more content like that."

WoW still has a lot of very mechanical game-y stuff that other MMOs have done away with.

Since for various reasons (other than a brief flirtation with WAR) I've stayed away from other MMOs that are WoW-esque (rather just play WoW with people I know IRL basically) I'm curious what you mean by this.

Other than just sheer market volume, how does Cataclysm overtake the competition which has slowly been gaining on them in subscriptions and overtaking them regularly in the features department?

Which competition has been "slowly gaining on them in subscriptions"? If anything, economically WoW's stranglehold on the fantasy-Diku-clone niche is stronger than it's ever been. Aion isn't much bigger than either Lineage at their peak and every Western attempt at a "WoW-killer" has been a fiasco.

KJTB

So for the beginning of cata up until this last week I've been no life'ing WoW... I think I've finally burned myself out on the game too. I logged in 4 times over this past week and each time was for no more than an hour. Also, while I was on all I did was fly around stormwind and use the chat like a glorified AIM service. I unsubbed because I know that forcing myself to play is just a giant waste of time. My 2's/3's partner is taking a break too and is in the same situation that I'm in :(.

Retro

charlequin said:
No, I'm absolutely not. Definitely don't shut up. :lol I would very much rather you continue to talk about it, because saying more helps make your positions clearer (and because we definitely don't enforce any kind of "only be positive" policy around here.)

Well, what I meant was, should pre-cata players in general, not just specifically me or anyone on these forums, shut up and just accept that Cata isn't so much a continuation or evolution of WoW as it is just bringing pre-Wrath WoW up to Wrath standards?

I mean, I know there will be lots of high level content in the future and all of that will be geared towards everyone, both old players who haven't seen a jump in quality and new or returning players who are seeing Cata as "WoW 2". But given what we've seen so far, I don't think that content will represent any substantial jump over WotLK's content. I'd love to be wrong, but I know better than to expect big surprises from Blizzard (which is why Silverpine is so frustrating... it's like a look at what could have been.)

Plus, I'm not willing to wait around and pay for the 4-6 months for that content to creep out. And if NeoGAF had a positive-only policy? 2 posts a day, max. :lol

charlequin said:
What I'm really trying to get at is that I see a big disconnect in people I talk to between people who were already sick of WoW during Wrath (and wanted Cataclysm to get them excited again) and people who either were still enthusiastic or who were coming back. Here's kind of how that disconnect looks to me:

Former group: "Ugh, I was already sick of the content in the game, and all this expansion does is add more content like that."

Latter group: "I love the quality of the later content in this game, and this expansion adds lots more content like that."

I can only speak for the former group. Part of the problem, at least for me, was the huge goatse-sized gaping holes in content. ICC was December of 2009. NINE. Between ICC and Cata (in November 2010) there was the Ruby Sanctum, a pitiful single-boss raid 'room'. That was released in June of 2010, so you're still talking 6 months between content patches if you count RS as worthwhile content', and almost a full year if you don't.

So for a year, Blizzard effectively did nothing, content wise. The content we've seen for Cata can't possibly have taken that long, and we know for a fact that work began on Cata right after WotLK launched (from a Blizzcon 09 interview). Nobody was working hard going "How can we really make Cata feel different and more evolved from Wrath?", instead it feels like the time was spent raising the content to the same level we'd seen (and used to, and frankly tired of) in Wrath instead of trying to do better.

For me, the disconnect is... why doesn't Cataclysm feel more like the big step forward in content quality that TBC was over Vanilla and Wrath was over TBC. Instead of a step, it seems to just be... a side-step, different, but not really moving forward. Maybe they've hit the ceiling on what the game engine can actually do, I dunno.

charlequin said:
Since for various reasons (other than a brief flirtation with WAR) I've stayed away from other MMOs that are WoW-esque (rather just play WoW with people I know IRL basically) I'm curious what you mean by this.
Little things that improve the quality of life. Getting quest credit for mobs (especially named mobs) you didn't tag first. Quest items that disappear when someone else loots them (rather than being phased as more recent games do). Quests that automatically turn in and update instead of having to return to the quest giver (Cata was supposed to fix this but it's not widely used of applied uniformly). Default Customizable UI is a BIG one.

Other things that WoW probably should have but never will are distinct character states between PVP and PVE and free server movement (Blizzard makes too much money forcing players to shuffle around just to play with friends or get away from low-pop issues). Would be nice to have appearance tabs, but, again... Blizzard will never do it.

charlequin said:
Which competition has been "slowly gaining on them in subscriptions"? If anything, economically WoW's stranglehold on the fantasy-Diku-clone niche is stronger than it's ever been. Aion isn't much bigger than either Lineage at their peak and every Western attempt at a "WoW-killer" has been a fiasco.

It's not any particular single game, but there's a LOT of choice out there. Where before you could count on people sticking to a single MMO and maybe trying something new when it first comes out, I have former guildies who have jumped to Aion, LotRO. Some are loving Star Trek Online and bunch are already planning to get into Rift.

Quite a few of them have jumped back to games like Vanguard, Guild Wars (especially with it having an impact on GW2) and even the original EQ. So it's not so much a single game as it is all the competition giving lots and lots of options, and many of which jump out as more polished than WoW (and Blizzard is the KING of taking pre-existing concepts and polishing them to a blinding sheen). I was VERY impressed with the Rift betas that have been going on; much more interesting character development than WoW (but still familiar), more interesting gameplay, a near-constant string of things to do even when you only have a few minutes... very nice looking, though WoW will always have a stranglehold on MMO market.

"xxx-killer" is a complete load and I really hate that term. The only thing that can kill WoW is Blizzard letting it fall apart or putting out a product that saps away their own player base. It will be years before WoW 'dies', if it ever does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom