• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
charlequin said:
Other than the quest credit (the best idea WAR had and one Blizzard really should rip off and implement) I guess I'm not feeling any of these as particularly significant issues or ones that can't continue to improve. In what I've done in the old world revamp (1-20 and 40-60 so far) I've pretty much always had the remote quest stuff trigger when I expected it. I'm not really sure what kind of "customizable" UI would really fill a useful gap between the current defaults (plenty good for 99% of non-levelcapped people) and the intricate and elaborate addons that power users and raiders will always find use in no matter how flexible the base game's UI gets.
I got quest credit n named mobs in the goblin starting area that other people tagged. Not sure how common it is in the rest of Azeroth. Vanilla actually had this idea in at least one place. Killing Omen iduring Lunar Festival.

Tomorrow I buy my first epic with valor points. I'm choosing to go for the trinket first for feral cats. Its a big jump and offers a big change for my gear while the set pieces will offer something nice but their are alternatives that are sometimes better that drop from bosses we have on farm right now.

It will be my 7th epic :) (Not including PvP Gear)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Level 27 Undead Priest on Oceanic server Khazgoroth. I'd like to play with anyone who may be on that server. Hit me up.

Sai-kun said:
Fuck yeahh, downed Magmaw tonight AND got the achievement for it. :lol Awesome!
Grats! We got him earlier this week on our first night agst him. Easiest boss I think and the most fun. Totally go god of war/shadow of the colossus on him with the chains :lol

etiolate

Banned
Twig: To reply to you from the other thread

I think the biggest roadblock for better PVP games is population size. I had a very healthy and long run on Guild Wars, and when people I played with quit and there was a big dead period in the game, I couldn't get people to hop on until I had already burned out.

As for Tol Barad, I think a big difference for you is that you've had world pvp happen outside of the battle. Most of what I've seen of TB is people showing up for the battle and then not even engaging others afterwards. No spontaneous spark has arisen. Elemental Plateau had way more action back in BC for my server.

etiolate

Banned
I think we may just have to agree to disagree here. I feel like Cataclysm, while bringing the old content up to Wrath-levels (with certain glaring omissions), doesn't take the game any further.

I mostly agree with this, but I think some things actually regressed. The change on dungeon design is a step backwards no matter how you spin it. They had one design, they tried a different approach with wrath and then reverted to the previous design instead of trying a fresh approach. Not even fresh, but at least copy from the advancements other games have made.

Wrath and Cata have far too much recycled and repainted content to speak of evolution. They cut down on some MMO BS, but its still six years behind at the least.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Rez said:
Level 27 Undead Priest on Oceanic server Khazgoroth. I'd like to play with anyone who may be on that server. Hit me up.

Should have been on Caelstrasz with the 5 of us ausgaffers :p . Just look for a social guild, there's a good chance you will find one on khaz. I don't think it's as empty as cael when it comes to population. Just shout out "lf leveling guild" or something like that :D

Finally hit 80 on my warrior. After owning cata for i guess 3 weeks, I can finally experience the real content :lol

Any suggestions on where i should go?

PatzCU

Nefarian down tonight!! Ridiculously tough fight, I'm not sure how we pulled it off :lol

wowscrnshot010311025638.jpg

hamchan

evlcookie said:
Should have been on Caelstrasz with the 5 of us ausgaffers :p . Just look for a social guild, there's a good chance you will find one on khaz. I don't think it's as empty as cael when it comes to population. Just shout out "lf leveling guild" or something like that :D

Finally hit 80 on my warrior. After owning cata for i guess 3 weeks, I can finally experience the real content :lol

Any suggestions on where i should go?

I liked both Hyjal and Vashj'ir but people say Hyjal is better, so go with that.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
etiolate said:
I mostly agree with this, but I think some things actually regressed. The change on dungeon design is a step backwards no matter how you spin it. They had one design, they tried a different approach with wrath and then reverted to the previous design instead of trying a fresh approach. Not even fresh, but at least copy from the advancements other games have made.

Wrath and Cata have far too much recycled and repainted content to speak of evolution. They cut down on some MMO BS, but its still six years behind at the least.
How is it a step backwards?

1-85 progression to supposed to prepare you for endgame. You slowly learn your spells and fight easy bosses at level 15. All heroics being face roll at level cap and raids being quite hard doesn't make any sense at all and will not prepare a person.

In the middle of WOTLK an unexperienced player could farm a tier and be ready for the current raid gear-wise but PUGS were quite picky. People were vocal about dungeon finder raids and blizzard said they were interested in it.

Dungeons right now should be appealing to guilds the worked hard at WOTLK raid progression. As for those people that were used to face roll dungeons and wanted dungeon finder raids, they get to experience what guilds working at progression got to do in dungeon finder. Even if they don't complete the dungeon they can buy vendor gear that's good enough for raids and they still get to skill up for raids.

Cat heroics will eventually become face roll I suppose, but they surely will release new 5 mans that are challenging.

Queue times suck, failing sucks, but people need to learn the concept of working for progression. Unless you find people to carry you, and the majority wont, you cannot raid without this concept that has existed since vanilla.

They obviously saw not getting prepared in wotlk as a bad idea since PUGS are huge.

PatzCU said:
Nefarian down tonight!! Ridiculously tough fight, I'm not sure how we pulled it off :lol
Grats!
You are way ahead of my guild. We just hit Val & Thal tonight. Should down them tomorrow.

We have gotten Magmaw, Security Robots, and Halfus only.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
MattPeters said:
I'd go with Vashj'ir. I loved it, and was pretty meh towards Hyjal.
I enjoyed Vashj'ir personally. Seems like a hit or miss.

Considering the mount and walking fast buff on the bottom, It doesn't feel any slower than a 310% mount imo.

99%% of the content is on land and water zones in every other one I know of except for 1k needles is incredibly slow. It's a nice change.

You'll know if you want to stick around 5 or so quests after you get the seahorse mount. Which is within the first few quests.

Can anyone who has played through both BC launch heroics and Cata launch heroics compare the two? I'm still of the opinion that BC heroics (pre nerf) were unrivaled in heroic difficulty.. some pretty much mathematically impossible unless the whole group had near or full epics.

TheYanger

While BC heroics were not as hard as you're presenting...they were a LOT harder than Cata heroics. Reading the wow dungeon forums will probably convince you these things are ridiculously challenging, but that's what a year of faceroll RDF groups has done to the population. With only first tier epics we can just AE roflstomp most heroics in guild groups. That's wrath level stuff (Sure, wrath was 'easier' in appropriate gear, but it wasn't an AE fest the first week. it was just easier to gear up as well so that didn't last long). BC was legitimately hard for months and months after release, and even in T6 gear you wouldn't generally just AE it all, though you may not CC at that point too much.

TheYanger said:
While BC heroics were not as hard as you're presenting...they were a LOT harder than Cata heroics. Reading the wow dungeon forums will probably convince you these things are ridiculously challenging, but that's what a year of faceroll RDF groups has done to the population. With only first tier epics we can just AE roflstomp most heroics in guild groups. That's wrath level stuff (Sure, wrath was 'easier' in appropriate gear, but it wasn't an AE fest the first week. it was just easier to gear up as well so that didn't last long). BC was legitimately hard for months and months after release, and even in T6 gear you wouldn't generally just AE it all, though you may not CC at that point too much.
hmm I see.. thanks for your input. I remember even the easiest BC heroics (Mechanar, Ramparts, Slave Pens) the trash could easily wipe an unprepared group, and the toughest ones (Durnholde, Dark Portal, Shattered Halls) players actively avoided even if it was the daily! Durnholde was hell with its constant ambushes of 4-5 mobs at once including enemy casters and dragon trash that hit like mac trucks, Dark Portal was an extreme gear check with the constant waves of enemies, and Shattered Halls was just a nightmare of ambushes, 6-7 enemy pulls, traps, that freaking assassin hallway, and evil bosses. Umm.. so anything like that in Cata?

Tacitus_

mjemirzian said:
Can anyone who has played through both BC launch heroics and Cata launch heroics compare the two? I'm still of the opinion that BC heroics (pre nerf) were unrivaled in heroic difficulty.. some pretty much mathematically impossible unless the whole group had near or full epics.

All mobs having a cleave that chained off the tank into the melee behind the mob was fun as well. Luckily I played a caster back then.
And Shattered Halls HC. And Shadow Labs. Arcatraz.

etiolate

Banned
Yeah, BC heroics were originally more of a bitch than clearing Kara. People avoided them because the loot was not worth the effort, but the badge system and retuning the dungeons/outgearing made them worth playing.

Deathnote: I am not sure why you brought up that stuff. I should have clarified that the CC/"harder" dungeons of Cata were just a return to old design that people didn't like and were the reason we got Wrath's easier no-cc design. Actual evolution would be to try to create active ways of dealing with hard mobs, or looking at reworking more active debuffing, or giving DPS a way to tank/absorb a mob. BC --> Wrath --> Cata five mans are an example of Blizz going in a circle design wise.

Retro

Ramirez said:
Have they ever stated as to why we can't change the color of our gear with some sort of dye? I remember back when the game first launched, and I went to the tailoring vendor I believe, and so all of those pink and black dyes and was totally pumped to color my gear, then my friend crushed my dreams. :lol

If we have to use recycled art, at least let us color it how we want. :p

People have been asking forever and Blizzard always offers some lame excuse like "We don't want the quality of our art to be compromised" while quietly ignoring that the majority of their character models are just awful and their 'high quality art' looks like pixelated PSOne games.

Like I said, Blizzard is great, but they're fucking set in their ways in some pretty retarded stuff. Yeah, it may be cosmetic, but Persona development is key to identifying with a character (i.e. the more you like your character, the more likely you are to keep playing it).

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
CurseoftheGods said:
http://img310.imageshack.us/img310/2584/paladins0gf.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
:lol Reminds me of when Blizzard changed/fixed Seal of the Crusader. Taking away Paladins main dps thingie made for interesting posts. i wish i could have heard the moaning on vent but was Horde.

Twig

Banned
I have all my gear and all the PvP mounts finally and don't know what else to spend my honor on! D:

BOAs I guess... But, hm, what class do I want to level next...

Rapstah

I picked up my old pre-WOTLK level 23 Druid again because I liked was I was hearing about bleed DPS at the moment (it'll likely be nerfed before I even hit 60 but it's a nice shot at seeing some 23-60 content too). He had Leatherworking and Skinning, with Leatherworking at the low twenties and Skinning at around 140. I figured I'd level Leatherworking up while levelling, but mobs started dropping Medium Leather and I needed Light. Okay, I thought, I'll just buy ten stacks of Light Leather from the AH then. Stacks were going for 300 gold. Okay, I thought, I'll just grind my way to 100 Leatherworking.

So far this has taken hundreds and hundreds of Light Leathers and I fucking hate it.

Weenerz

Banned
Rapstah said:
I picked up my old pre-WOTLK level 23 Druid again because I liked was I was hearing about bleed DPS at the moment (it'll likely be nerfed before I even hit 60 but it's a nice shot at seeing some 23-60 content too). He had Leatherworking and Skinning, with Leatherworking at the low twenties and Skinning at around 140. I figured I'd level Leatherworking up while levelling, but mobs started dropping Medium Leather and I needed Light. Okay, I thought, I'll just buy ten stacks of Light Leather from the AH then. Stacks were going for 300 gold. Okay, I thought, I'll just grind my way to 100 Leatherworking.

So far this has taken hundreds and hundreds of Light Leathers and I fucking hate it.

8529_v.gif

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Rapstah said:

Yeah to get to 100 LW you need a couple hundred Light Leather. i hate LW.

Macattk15

Twig said:
I have all my gear and all the PvP mounts finally and don't know what else to spend my honor on! D:

BOAs I guess... But, hm, what class do I want to level next...

Yep. Same boat.

I now hope the nerf TB again. I originally though it was immensely stupid, but since everyone else was doing it ... I might as well also cash in.

Twig

Banned
Macattk15 said:
Yep. Same boat.

I now hope the nerf TB again. I originally though it was immensely stupid, but since everyone else was doing it ... I might as well also cash in.
Yeah, pretty much. I expect they'll do something soon because... it's just ridiculous how much free honor I'm getting.

I mean, on the one hand, fuck yeah, tons of free shit... but on the other, it's boring as hell. U:

J-Rzez

Ramirez said:
Have they ever stated as to why we can't change the color of our gear with some sort of dye? I remember back when the game first launched, and I went to the tailoring vendor I believe, and so all of those pink and black dyes and was totally pumped to color my gear, then my friend crushed my dreams. :lol

If we have to use recycled art, at least let us color it how we want. :p

Because they're lazy, plain and simple. They wouldn't be able to recolor and recycle stuff themselves then. Like how they recycle iconic tier gear as non-set loot.

notworksafe

I wish "lazy developer" was a bannable phrase. It's really the most idiotic thing said on this board and only used by morons.

Not just in this instance, but always. It's a nice sign that someone has no idea what they are talking about, however.

notworksafe said:
I wish "lazy developer" was a bannable phrase. It's really the most idiotic thing said on this board and only used by morons.
If they make a choice in their game that you disagree with they are obviously lazy.

Twig

Banned
I agree with your distaste for the phrase, but at this point, three expansions in, with basically every other big MMO offering SOME sort of armor customization... what excuses does Blizzard have left?

It is just a tad ridiculous.

notworksafe

Ridiculous != lazy.

Either way, it doesn't really matter to me. It's another thing like dances or vanity pets to me, not worth getting worked up over because it affects and adds nothing.

TurtleSnatcher said:
Odd.. We have a ret pally pulling about 15-16k dps in our early raids and topping meters.
Then, based on this data, it would seem your pally is doing everything right, but everyone else is doing a lot of things wrong.

notworksafe

I'm curious to see a breakdown per boss, in 10 and 25. An average of all bosses is a silly way to look at DPS.

However it is WoW Insider, so silly is to be expected.

Rapstah

The amount of DPS Paladins is probably quite low with access to tank and healer instance queues (> they gear up as that) and Paladin healers being asked for at the moment.

SnakeswithLasers said:
Then, based on this data, it would seem your pally is doing everything right, but everyone else is doing a lot of things wrong.

I have yet to see anyone pull a consistent 20k dps or higher in my raids.. Then again maybe we are undergeared compared to these guys.

Twig

Banned
notworksafe said:
Ridiculous != lazy.

Either way, it doesn't really matter to me. It's another thing like dances or vanity pets to me, not worth getting worked up over because it affects and adds nothing.
I like how you're implying I said "ridiculous == lazy" when I didn't. Grats.

Also, just because it's not a dungeon or new armor set or whatever doesn't mean it "adds nothing" to the game. It would improve the experience for a not insignificant number of people.

Macattk15

What is that at the top of the DPS food chain? What does that green bar signify?

I've been doing fine as a Fury Warrior.

How soon until they nerf Unholy DK's?

notworksafe

Twig said:
I like how you're implying I said "ridiculous == lazy" when I didn't. Grats.

Also, just because it's not a dungeon or new armor set or whatever doesn't mean it "adds nothing" to the game. It would improve the experience for a not insignificant number of people.
I like how you manage to get upset at every perceived slight, when none was intended. Grats.

Also, it adds nothing for me. So really, it adds nothing. I am not playing the game through someone else's eyes.

I'd rather Blizzard work on making more dungeon content, as the current amount is quite lacking, before working on cosmetic extras.

qwerty2k

random newb question if you will please.

Playing a human warrior, just got the quest where i can go from booty bay to dustwallow (i think it is) or there is a quest with a portal to western plague lands, im lvl 37 which area is best to goto or does it not matter? (ie, which one am i meant to goto for the story continuation etc)

Macattk15 said:
Is that Fury I see at the top of the DPS foodchain? In our most recent raids, that would hold true as that is where I have been.

As with EVERY expansion, we'll be knocked down to average soon enough. We were crazy into Ulduar and then nerfed in WotLK. Enjoy it while it lasts.
Nope, Survival Hunters. Fury is around the median (balance druids being the median).

(The colors on the chart match the default colors on recount for each class.)
TurtleSnatcher said:
I have yet to see anyone pull a consistent 20k dps or higher in my raids.. Then again maybe we are undergeared compared to these guys.
notworksafe said:
I'm curious to see a breakdown per boss, in 10 and 25. An average of all bosses is a silly way to look at DPS.

However it is WoW Insider, so silly is to be expected.

From the article (http://wow.joystiq.com/2011/01/03/scattered-shots-hunter-spec-and-class-balance/#continued):
The chart takes the median of the top 20 benchmarks for each spec for every boss (except Wyrmbringer) and averages them to get an average top DPS. We're taking the median of the top 20 to get rid of some of the crazy outlier results, where the top result is 10k DPS higher than No. 2, but while still trying to represent the best the spec is capable of in the hands of the best-geared and best-skilled raiders currently out there. Specs with poor representation are not included.

This average represents all raid bosses, single-target and AoE. The median average top DPS is the boomkin with 18.7k DPS. SV hunters are leading the pack at 21.2k average, followed closely by the unholy DKs at 20.5k. Ret pallies bring up the rear with a meager 16.3k DPS.

Clearly SV is on top, and we're also on top by a lot.

To put this in some perspective, we can take a look at what was going on in ICC, during the 10% buff period (when I did a huge statistical analysis of hundreds of thousands of lines of raid parses). In ICC, every class (except the poor shadow priests) had a spec that was within 10% of the top spec. Right now, not even the median is within 10% of SV hunters. We're a bit over 13% ahead of the median (and the mean).

--

Further up in the article he explains 25 man vs. 10 man choice (10 man numbers may be skewed due to presence of certain buffs, whereas in 25 man you can be relatively assured of even buff representation).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom