• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrio

Banned
Rapstah said:
I don't understand how the game logics around that. If there's one point when there's "no path available", wouldn't that be when you're falling?

Not sure either, but heroic leaping from midair is funny.

Twig said:
But they're still people behind the characters and they still got there first and on a PvE server they're not really your enemy. If you can't attack them at will, then it doesn't count for shit.

If I see Alliance struggling to kill some elite for a quest I usually let them die, faster than waiting for it to respawn usually. The amount of times they've stolen kills from me and the like I stopped caring although every now and then one of them helps me out.

Nodes are first come first served, if I someone going for a node I look for another if I don't think I can beat them to it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Ferrio said:
I haven't done much testing with obstacles, but leap loves to give the "No path available" error. Gotta make sure what your leaping on is one surface, and you can't really jump inclined surfaces etc. It does negate all falling damage though, so if you're quick you can take 0 damage from any fall.
Oh god it's the blink getting snubbed by terrain thing all over again.

Halycon said:
I hope you're strafing?

Is Heroic Leap targeted? I only know its TBC incarnation.
I'm strafing, yes. Years of playing hunter and kiting dragons into Org have my general movement skills to a decent level.

I'm only 82 on the warrior, so I don't have Heroic Leap yet. I guess I could try Intervene, but I assume it's "run away-able" and I just have bad timing or connection issues.

Haly

Are you tanking him right underneath his feet or at the edge of his hitbox? Maybe that might work.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Question: I was checking Zam, and it listed prereqs for a couple guild purchases and not only requiring guild achievements but also individual guild rep.

On the other hand, if you check in game, the prereqs only list required guild rep for a couple guild purchases. Are guild rep pre reqs hidden in the in-game menu, or is Wowhead wrong?

Twig

Banned
Ferrio said:
Heroic Leap, AKA ghetto blink. I'd be happy if they removed all damage from that thing and decreased it's cooldown. The freaking damage is pitiful, and the only use for it is mobility.
Agreed, completely. Or at least a glyph or something. I'd gladly sacrifice a glyph slot for more mobility!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I think my server sucks. [Undermine]
There's just nobody playing Horde and I can go hours without seeing anyone, and when I do they don't even want to chat. :\

Jtwo said:
I think my server sucks. [Undermine]
There's just nobody playing Horde and I can go hours without seeing anyone, and when I do they don't even want to chat. :\

A to H Ratio: 1.6 : 1
Activity Ratio: 2.8 : 1

That does suck, are you leveling right now? But I never want to "chat" with people outside my guild that isn't already on my friends list anyway since it mostly consists of poor troll attempts followed by LAWLALWLAL.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I'm just levelling.
I don't exactly want to chat, but when you see someone doing the same quest and you haven't seen anyone in days its a little disappointing to just completely ignore eachother.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
J-Rzez said:
Calling for bans and repeatedly calling people morons for their opinions without retort is what it is, and I didn't start it, but whatever we're over that. Its all good.

3rd boss is the stone guy with the 1 shot mechanics, always a good time prior to nerf lol.

Grimace, did you attack everyone bitching about the dragon scream at the loading screen, when I said it has zero influence in game, so I don't think is was a big deal to rage about? I forget, but at least I complain about things that in some way relate to the in game experience. And I think being an individual and character customization is important to more ppl than thought.
That's not really a cognizable sentence, and I also have no clue what you're talking about. I assure you I never had a serious problem with the noise at the beginning of the login screen beyond finding it a very minor annoyance after 2 years. The difference is you actually go to the lengths of claiming the developers are lazy or incompetent based on minutiae like coloring your armor purple or something. Pointing out like one thing you don't think sucks doesn't somehow change the fact you complain about things that only you really care about.

You're just not getting that most people don't care about the things you hate; and the problem notworksafe has with your posts is that you just bitch and bitch and bitch about the developers not caring about the game experience when its not them, it's you. The particular things you mostly complain about are generally minor player-convenience and aesthetic issues and the vast majority of the playerbase simply doesn't care about.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Twig said:
o lawdy lawd you're doin' it againnnn
People discussing WoW in a WoW thread; what is this world coming to? It's incredibly annoying having to have every post punctuated with you telling people to stop debating things based on your whimsical obsession with having everyone agree on everything.

If you don't have anything to add, then don't post rather than making a billion useless comments about how everyone is mean. Seriously, just let people talk about what they want.

Twig

Banned
...Hold on, what? How is anything in your previous post at all related to discussing anything about the actual game?

Also, where have I even once even pretended that I want everyone to agree on everything? Me?! Basically the only person in the WoW GAF community who actually likes Tol Barad? ME?

Furthermore, it was just a lighthearted comment meant to send a single message to the brains present here: cool down, dudes. That's it. Cool down, dudes.

You are insane. Yeesh.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
This game is really easy now, its only just beginning to set in.
I'm just completely completely wrecking dudes, and I'm a complete noob.
I've had WoW since release, but play it so infrequently. I could not appreciate what they've done with this game anymore than I do. It's sooo soooo awesome.

Flib

Jtwo said:
I've had WoW since release, but play it so infrequently. I could not appreciate what they've done with this game anymore than I do. It's sooo soooo awesome.

The challenge is in the heroics, and especially the raids (the raids being the most challenging they've been in a long time).

Twig

Banned
Jtwo said:
I find that kind of strange, given Blizzard's apparent desire (as in, I've read some quotes where they say they wish) for people to live longer in PvP than they have in the past.

What class do you play?

Angry Grimace

Flib said:
The challenge is in the heroics, and especially the raids (the raids being the most challenging they've been in a long time).
I rather enjoy the challenge in the new heroics at low gear levels, but it's hard to change mindsets of people that want them to be demolished in 15 minutes.

I have some quibbles about the length of them, but it's not so bad so long as you get some friends rather than randoms.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
By dudes I meant mobs. :lol I'm on a desolate PvE server.
I'm just tearing through Searing Gorge like it's nobody's business.

I play Hunter, and I think maybe the way it worked out with the level shifting is that I ended up being maybe 1 or 2 levels too high for the path I was on. I just hit 50 and am about to make my way to Burning steppes.

I might also just be getting better, now that I think about it. I usually consider myself to be really inexperienced but now with the new skill trees and such I might just be making more efficient use of my abilities.

Idk, I'm used to the game fighting me tooth and nail along the way, and it's been smooth sailing ever since I resubbed.

Twig

Banned
Oh.

Yeah the challenge is in heroics and raids. I guess they just want leveling to be as smooth an experience as possible.

No response, eh, Angry Grimace? Please don't fly off the fucking handle next time. It would be appreciated. Guess you're too... angry. BUR. (That was a joke, if you couldn't figure it out. :D)

Angry Grimace

Jtwo said:
By dudes I meant mobs. :lol I'm on a desolate PvE server.
I'm just tearing through Searing Gorge like it's nobody's business.

I play Hunter, and I think maybe the way it worked out with the level shifting is that I ended up being maybe 1 or 2 levels too high for the path I was on. I just hit 50 and am about to make my way to Burning steppes.
You just kind of do wreck people in PvE content now. It's the way they tuned the content and newer abilities which makes it so. I mean, getting Explosive Shot at Lv. 10 is pretty overpowered.

You will pretty much stay a wrecking crew in terms of quest mobs until endgame, although mobs will take longer to kill due to bigger health pools on Cata mobs.

Flib

Angry Grimace said:
I rather enjoy the challenge in the new heroics at low gear levels, but it's hard to change mindsets of people that want them to be demolished in 15 minutes.

I have some quibbles about the length of them, but it's not so bad so long as you get some friends rather than randoms.

Yeah, but they go pretty quickly once everyone in the group is close to 346. First few weeks while gearing up were really fun.

Garryk

RogueGAF, does using smoke bomb around the flag in BGs make them unclickable? I keep forgetting to use the new abilities in PVP so I don't have that much experience with it. What are the best situations to use smoke bomb in BGs? Also, is combat readiness any good?

J-Rzez

Angry Grimace said:
That's not really a cognizable sentence, and I also have no clue what you're talking about. I assure you I never had a serious problem with the noise at the beginning of the login screen beyond finding it a very minor annoyance after 2 years. The difference is you actually go to the lengths of claiming the developers are lazy or incompetent based on minutiae like coloring your armor purple or something. Pointing out like one thing you don't think sucks doesn't somehow change the fact you complain about things that only you really care about.

You're just not getting that most people don't care about the things you hate; and the problem notworksafe has with your posts is that you just bitch and bitch and bitch about the developers not caring about the game experience when its not them, it's you. The particular things you mostly complain about are generally minor player-convenience and aesthetic issues and the vast majority of the playerbase simply doesn't care about.

People have been asking for years now for:
- Dyes
- Various ways to customize their character
- Redone animations for their character of choice
- Player housing

That all points to people actually caring about character customization/individuality/quality. So yeah, you can go on and on and on about me seemingly being the only one who cares about some things, but there's obviously more than 5% of people that care about it, who would like a change in said regards. And where are you getting that most people don't care? Is it from your own personal experiences or what you "notice"? Guess what, that means your point of "people don't care" has just as much weight as me saying "people do care", so don't express your opinion as fact anymore if you're going to have a problem with me doing so ok?

Maybe YOU can explain why Blizzard recycles current tier models as non-set epics then, as apparently you know then. I'd love to know why they dilute something "special" and "iconic" as tier sets into making every class able to look like another based on their proficiency. Until I get an answer, I'm going to say it's laziness, because that's what it reeks of IMHO.

I remember when Tier sets were special, something to strive for, that made your character more unique as well as perform better.

Angry Grimace said:
You just kind of do wreck people in PvE content now. It's the way they tuned the content and newer abilities which makes it so. I mean, getting Explosive Shot at Lv. 10 is pretty overpowered.

You will pretty much stay a wrecking crew in terms of quest mobs until endgame, although mobs will take longer to kill due to bigger health pools on Cata mobs.
"Wrecking Crew" is right. I only wish the cooldown on charge was even lower (yes, I'm glyphed for rapid charge).

J-Rzez

Twig said:
I find that kind of strange, given Blizzard's apparent desire (as in, I've read some quotes where they say they wish) for people to live longer in PvP than they have in the past.

What class do you play?

War probably, as they're just tearing through people now. It's crazy how fast people still drop, even after many being geared out via win-trading.

J-Rzez said:
- Dyes
- Player housing

That all points to people actually caring about character customization/individuality/quality. So yeah, you can go on and on and on about me seemingly being the only one who cares about some things, but there's obviously more than 5% of people that care about it, who would like a change in said regards. And where are you getting that most people don't care? Is it from your own personal experiences or what you "notice"? Guess what, that means your point of "people don't care" has just as much weight as me saying "people do care", so don't express your opinion as fact anymore if you're going to have a problem with me doing so ok?

Maybe YOU can explain why Blizzard recycles current tier models as non-set epics then, as apparently you know then. I'd love to know why they dilute something "special" and "iconic" as tier sets into making every class able to look like another based on their proficiency. Until I get an answer, I'm going to say it's laziness laziness laziness laziness laziness laziness, because that's what it reeks of IMHO.

I remember when Tier sets were special, something to strive for, that made your character more unique as well as perform better.
animated%20siren%20gif%20animated%20siren%20gif%20animated%20siren%20gif%20drudge%20report.GIF

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Scrow said:
of course, but it's silly to make direct comparisons between a scenario in a game and a scenario in real life. the social etiquette is different. so many subtleties are lost between the two and the comparison is ultimately flawed.

i don't see it that way. i think i'm a friendly and considerate player overall. i do random acts of kindness, give free shit to guildies, and just generally act like a carebear. i rarely, if ever, grief/gank. but i'm not going to cheat myself out of something for someone i don't know, don't care for or they're alliance.
Each time you do it it, you gamble between being a douche bag, looking like an idiot, or wasting time to get to the next node. If you want a bad reputation, whatever, but you guys are still douche bags.We spent 15+ years getting socialized. This is a social game. It's not silly and the etiquette is not different.

Also, you'll wind up getting your spell nerfed or the ability not to tag a herb changed.

Twig

Banned
J-Rzez said:
War probably, as they're just tearing through people now. It's crazy how fast people still drop, even after many being geared out via win-trading.
I dunno. I'm finally to the point where I feel like I'm on even ground (as warrior) thanks to the TB fiasco, and I'm enjoying PvP because of it. I lose as often as I win, and get completely destroyed as often as I completely destroy.

Unless I have a pocket healer, then I pretty much completely destroy.

Classes I generally can't beat alone: warlocks, paladins, druids. The rest I'm on a scale from "okay" to "haha ur ded".

I don't really understand why I can't beat warlocks. I just sit there beating on them and their health doesn't go down at all for like ten seconds. I thought it might be drain life or something and I just wasn't noticing it at first, but no, they weren't doing that.

WHAT IS IT ABOUT WARLOCKS

Paladins and druids I know exactly why I can't beat (given they're the "right" spec to beat me).

Angry Grimace

J-Rzez said:
- Dyes
- Player housing

Maybe YOU can explain why Blizzard recycles current tier models as non-set epics then, as apparently you know then. I'd love to know why they dilute something "special" and "iconic" as tier sets into making every class able to look like another based on their proficiency. Until I get an answer, I'm going to say it's laziness, because that's what it reeks of IMHO.

Because it's a waste of time and effort and most people don't give a damn. Most people play the game for fun, not because they are emotionally invested in it.

The big problem here is that "People" = everyone (in your mind). You have no evidence at all that there's some kind of mass swelling of support for these things other than wholly conclusory allegations that "people" want them. People have also been asking for both buffs and nerfs for every class for 5 years, in significantly greater numbers, but I don't think Blizzard is lazy for not doing it.

Most of your most well known complants are petty irritants based on wild conjecture as to how much "effort" it takes to implement features, half of which you just invented and nobody ever claimed was actually going to go into the game, not to mention wild conjecture as to how many people are demanding those features. You're just making figures up as you go.

Twig

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
Because it's a waste of time and effort and most people don't give a damn. Most people play the game for fun, not because they are emotionally invested in it.
That's why most people don't do anything in the game unless there's a tangible reward beyond "fun".

I think you'd actually be surprised how many people are, ahem, emotionally invested. Not to the degree of OH GOD I AM SO INTO THIS GAME I REFUSE TO DO ANYTHING ELSE AND DAMN THE REAL LIFE!! but certainly to the degree of wanting to play Barbie in-game. Otherwise, why would people pay for race changes, etc.?

Won

J-Rzez said:

I remember when we ran around with placeholder art instead of the actual Tier sets. Good times.

Haly

Angry Grimace said:
I have to disagree here. Just look at any Korean MMO that survives entirely on vanity microtransactions. People like character customization, it makes them feel special, unique. It has as much to do with in-game identity as a specific spec or class or race. Look at the lengths people go to just to get hats in TF2. I think the main reasons players don't ask for this feature in WoW is:

1) WoW is generally ugly. Lol spaulders.
2) They don't know they want it. It's one of those things that you'd like if it was there, because it adds an extra dimension to your character, but you wouldn't miss its absence.

Moreover, fun IS emotional investment. You can't have fun without being emotionally invested. This is why there are things like guild drama, faction fanboys, class elitism, gearscore bragging etc etc. The entire game is structured on getting you emotionally invested so you keep paying.

And if you think people don't care about looking pretty just look at how many BElfs there are every sever.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Angry Grimace said:

The big problem here is that "People" = everyone (in your mind). You have no evidence at all that there's some kind of mass swelling of support for these things other than wholly conclusory allegations that "people" want them. People have also been asking for both buffs and nerfs for every class for 5 years, in significantly greater numbers, but I don't think Blizzard is lazy for not doing it.

Most of your most well known complants are petty irritants based on wild conjecture as to how much "effort" it takes to implement features, half of which you just invented and nobody ever claimed was actually going to go into the game, not to mention wild conjecture as to how many people are demanding those features. You're just making figures up as you go.
Let's recap.

-You said 95% don't care.
-He said more than 5% surely care

And he's the one spewing of a mass swelling without data?

People have been very vocal about this stuff for 6 years and it doesn't take a genius to know more than 5% want it.

J-Rzez

Twig said:
I dunno. I'm finally to the point where I feel like I'm on even ground (as warrior) thanks to the TB fiasco, and I'm enjoying PvP because of it. I lose as often as I win, and get completely destroyed as often as I completely destroy.

Unless I have a pocket healer, then I pretty much completely destroy.

Classes I generally can't beat alone: warlocks, paladins, druids. The rest I'm on a scale from "okay" to "haha ur ded".

I don't really understand why I can't beat warlocks. I just sit there beating on them and their health doesn't go down at all for like ten seconds. I thought it might be drain life or something and I just wasn't noticing it at first, but no, they weren't doing that.

Paladins and druids I know exactly why I can't beat (given they're the "right" spec to beat me).

Locks are pretty tough because some do the drain life thing, others pop their VW shield, and soul link for the longest time made them pretty resilient. Demon form also plays a role sometimes. They've been for a while now pretty tough.

I have no trouble with paladins anymore, which is nice. And druids vary based on spec: Resto = Free kill, Boomkins = Free Kill, Feral = takes some time but can kill when played right. The toughest class for me to kill right now I think are Rogues; lots of CC, damage mitigation, and avoidance in general. Wars do a ton of burst which is hard to counter for me at times unless I have full cd's waiting.

Grimace, I'm just dropping this for sakes of discussion of play mechanic with you later which is usually a good discussion. But you're telling me most people don't care, I say people do care, you say 5% care, I say more. Both of us lack proof, but for you to say I made up stuff that people earlier said they wanted (dye) that I never brought up before really, housing which people requested for some time, an "overhaul" on race models and animations have been begged for now since TBC, I just don't think you look for or just ignore how many people request that.

I still play the game, but that doesn't mean I don't like that our Pally looks like me and tier gear. And I'm sure many others feel the same way as well.

Who doesn't want more customization, and the ability to set your own toon apart? Even if you and notworksafe don't care, if it were there you mean to tell me that you wouldn't use it? Look how many people went on the armory before and "screen capped" their character shot. Something SO simple, and meaningless, but yet so many people went out of their way to do it. I think you're vastly underestimating how much people would enjoy to make themselves unique outside of their name, especially RPers, just because you don't care about it.

Haly

Twig said:

What class are you playing. I'm an afflic lock and I can really only hold my own against priests, (frost) DKs and other locks.

Casting drain life in a 1v1 scenario is asking to get locked down. Interrupt that shit.

Angry Grimace said:

Do you actually have an argument against character customization, or are you just making attacks on the person making the argument?

I'd like to be counted in the "people that care" column. I stopped playing my druid because I was bored of looking the same every level. I race changed a tauren warrior to an orc warrior because I couldn't take the animations and doorway sticking anymore. I "recustomized" my Blood Elf male paladin into a Blood Elf female (this was before race change was available), because I couldn't stand the jumping animation or how he looked in the leveling belly-shirt armor and chainmail shorts. I've also forked out gold on most of my characters for the in-game barber shop and most every time I get a new helmet or cloak, I go into the interface screen to toggle them on and off to see if they're worth displaying.

I'm not crazy obsessive or a Blizzard hater, but deep character customization is a feature that more and more games have available now than when WoW released--it's natural for the players to expect it.

TheYanger

Flib said:

Not just challenging, but completely retarded challenging on hard modes! Yay! (I'm not bitter at wiping hundreds of times every week to new bosses.../cry)

Flib

TheYanger said:
Not just challenging, but completely retarded challenging on hard modes! Yay! (I'm not bitter at wiping hundreds of times every week to new bosses.../cry)

Lol, we're getting our asses kicked on some of the normal bosses, so I can't wait!

*bangs head against wall*

Alex

I'd like more visual stuff for characters too, I'm not saying they should play it out like the swaths of Asian MMO's where they dump the entire engine into creepy character models and bad microtransactions, but they could do more.

I was sad they didn't add in new hairstyles to the barber, and I think something like an appearance tab would do a lot for the game, because seriously, how many more mounts and pets can they add into their little rewards? :lol It'd be a whole new subset of things to toss around the game, it'd be great. Think of how much shit alone could go into archeology. Dig up an old heirloom barrette that unlocks a unique hairstyle, or a cloak overlay, little knick knacks that go on existing armor, secondary slots for helms, etc that replace the battle one visually. You could start slow and really add onto it.

I don't think it's laze or anything, though, I just don't think that for all of the money this game makes, it gets the resources for the fluff on the side, I mean it's really good for content and tweaks, but more simple things like we're talking about here would be nice.

What I want for next expansion is less of the radical and new, and more just fleshing out what we have in parts now.... Although I do want a new class.

Sai-kun

Banned
I still have yet to finish H BRC. :| I never get it as a random, and pugging it always (always) ends in disaster.

Also fuck archaeology :D I just want my rare loots so I don't have to do it again!

J-Rzez said:
- Dyes
- Player housing

Since we're all talking about what we care about, this shit is all laughable. Dyes...really? They color the gear differently for earning it at different levels. Tier 5 was awesome colors and season 2 gear was ugly as hell so you could tell who earned it or who got free pvp gear. Now you can tell who got the free pvp gear or who got the 2200 by the color of it. The animations and the what other customization do people want? Height? Armor covers anything you do anyways.

player housing, yeah.

Alex

My Shaman PvP gear looks immensely better for the blue pieces than any of the epic stuff. Muted, earthy, actual armor looking coloring and design always wins out for me though.

I still don't want dyes though, I've never seen dyes in a 3D game that have looked good to my tastes. Player housing is harder, because either your game revolves around it or you don't have it. Like UO and SWG.

I played a bit with my 72 priest last night. I normally just heal but I specced Shadow to try to do some quests and I actually had a lot of fun despite not normally enjoying dps casters soloing (to be fair, I haven't played one in a couple years).

No downtime and pretty insane killing potential. Slap on some dots, mind flay once, hope you can get Shadow Word: Death off before the mob dies--that seems to be the hardest part is timing that so that you don't miss your Spirit Tap opportunity. It's another class though that I think Blizzard could have done more with on their built in Power Auras. I'd love to be notified when I have 3 orbs and an uber mind blast coming up. My power aura custom setups are always janky as hell and really detract from how the game looks. :lol

Haly

cuevas said:
so you could tell who earned it or who got free pvp gear
I don't think anyone remembers all the colors of the various sets and recolors.

I think it's just asset recycling on Blizzard's part (which can be seen as, god help me, "lazy")

Halycon said:
I don't think anyone remembers all the colors of the various sets and recolors.

I think it's just asset recycling on Blizzard's part (which can be seen as, god help me, "lazy")

If you pvp/e enough you get to notice. Like in an arena match yesterday as soon as we got the rogue out of stealth my teammate yelled that he was in full tier 11 and he got nuked down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom