• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-Rzez

DeathNote said:
blood elf starting area? im having problems with that. earlier in the thread i remember someone mentioning it as well.

edit: just tried making a BE of different classes on both US servers and it crashes. paladin dwarf worked.

Yeah, just the BELF starting zones

Maxrpg said:
To fix Silvermoon issues - Delete from Cache/Data/patch-base-12941.mpq. It'll stream download a new one and let you in! :D

Thanks, I'll give this a shot then next time.

ampere

PhoenixDark said:
Not liking the changes to Cleave for warriors, making it an instant attack instead of next melee attack. I'm not going to complain about that change with regard to Heroic Strike, but the Cleave change downgrades our aoe tanking. I didn't complain about aoe tanking throughout LK but this is ridiculous.
Uh, Bear AoE tanking basically is completely centered around spamming swipe/maul, which is getting a 6 second cooldown (swipe, maul will be instant I believe). And conc and D&D are getting cooldowns that gives them some decent downtime.

So I wouldn't worry about AoE tanking in Cataclysm. It's clear that with Vengeance and fewer ICC-style trash pulls we won't need to spam-spam-spam to take care of AoE tanking. We also shouldn't have unlimited rage allowing us to do as we do now.

firex

Maxrpg said:
Just tried to do Naxx on Anasterian PTR, I think we broke it at Patchwerk :lol

Good god the Paladin DPS rotation is fucking WEIRD.

Consecration is a HUGE mana sink, which isn't worth it imo, Holy Wrath hits ALL targets for like 6K, and comes up often.

And don't get me started on boss fights, we hit Patchwerk, and suddenly I was like hnnn when do I use Zealotry, now? or later? So I figured I'd pop Wings + Zealotry for crazy Templar's Verdict spam, and that's when the server went down :lol
You don't use consecration as a ret paladin anymore in cataclysm.

actually really the only spec that uses consecrate is prot paladin, since they get a talent that reduces the mana cost.

all you really do is build 3 holy power, templar's verdict, repeat. unless you have to aoe and then you divine storm instead. everything else is just checking procs.

An interesting attempt at Stonecore tonight. First trash mobs took some work, and we decided to focus on CC. Some near wipes. Then the gnome NPC bugged and spawned a ton of elementals on us. After we returned, the event played out as it was meant to and we fought the first boss.

There's loads of crap going on with that thing. It puts healing debuffs on you, it silences, it spits out crystal shards that create a mine field and it submerges to spawn adds. It's like the first PoS boss and the last one of Azjol-Nerub all at once.

We only got one go, then there was a server restart. However, I love the look of the place. Now if only Vortex Pinnacle was more easily available...

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I read a blizz post that they wanted all tanks to do well. They don't want you to feel the need to switch to x class for aoe tanking.

The Lamonster said:
What are the details on this dismounting thing? Are you guys saying that I can't simply fly through zones and I can't fly over SW?

If you have a druid with Flight Form:

Horde: You can mount up in Shat, then take the Thunder Bluff portal, or mount up by the Dark Portal and fly through.

Alliance: You can mount up by the Dark Portal and fly through.

Moral of the story, mount up with Flight Form, then portal somewhere that is considered "outside" or you will be dismounted just like those riding actual mounts.

Druids 4 life!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
It's quite awesome flying around in the old world and seeing things that people only see via flight paths or never at all.

speedpop said:
It's quite awesome flying around in the old world and seeing things that people only see via flight paths or never at all.

I'm so happy we can fly around in the Old World before the Cataclysm tears it apart!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Yeah definitely. I'm on my way to see old Mt Hyjal, should be a blast for someone as exploration nerdy as myself.

edit: Heh, invisible wall AND a teleport out to Darkwhisper Gorge. Awww.

Tacitus_

speedpop said:
Yeah definitely. I'm on my way to see old Mt Hyjal, should be a blast for someone as exploration nerdy as myself.

Those have been there forever. I think they implemented No Man's Land mostly because of Hyjal :lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Sebulon3k said:
Doesn't BM do terrible DPS compared to the other specs? The big buffs such as Blood Lust are Spirit Beast Exclusive I think, so you need to be deep BM to get the buffs, which offers less dps then MM and Surv.
It offered less DPS in Wrath, but we dont' know what BM damage is like in Cata. Remember that BM was the highest dps in 3.0.2, but it just did less damage because the pets had shitty scaling.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
speedpop said:

Should have headed for GM Island imo.

Angry Grimace said:
It offered less DPS in Wrath, but we dont' know what BM damage is like in Cata. Remember that BM was the highest dps in 3.0.2, but it just did less damage because the pets had shitty scaling.
BM was godly at the beginning of wrath. due too readiness resetting the CD on Bestial Wrath. Those were the days. A pet out DPS'ing a rogue in full tier 7. lol.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
can i logon someone's druid? :(

it's killing me waiting for pre-made and the thought i might not be able to explore the old world before it's gone forever

idlewild_

Angry Grimace said:

BM is equivalent to SV in bis gear, so it actually scales better than survival does. the nerf to steady+buff to explosive is what really killed it towards the beg of the xpac.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
krypt0nian said:
If you have a druid with Flight Form:

Horde: You can mount up in Shat, then take the Thunder Bluff portal, or mount up by the Dark Portal and fly through.

Alliance: You can mount up by the Dark Portal and fly through.

Moral of the story, mount up with Flight Form, then portal somewhere that is considered "outside" or you will be dismounted just like those riding actual mounts.

Druids 4 life!
I hate how awesome my druid is, while how sad my mage is.

My druid can do it all, while my mage just looks sexy 24/7

Ashodin

firex said:
You don't use consecration as a ret paladin anymore in cataclysm.

actually really the only spec that uses consecrate is prot paladin, since they get a talent that reduces the mana cost.

all you really do is build 3 holy power, templar's verdict, repeat. unless you have to aoe and then you divine storm instead. everything else is just checking procs.
I know this. I know this. :lol

I did try out some mix up and divine storm being locked to holy power really sucks for aoe, so it's all building up HP, divine storm, holy wrath, repeat.

BTW

Best part ever

About Cata

Long Arm of the Law. Holy shit is that fun to hit on bosses/enemies and run really fast up to them (like a mini charge)! :D

Angry Grimace

If the Glyph of Howling Blast is identical in Cataclysm, there's literally no reason to ever use Icy Touch AFAIK.

firex

Maxrpg said:
I know this. I know this. :lol

I did try out some mix up and divine storm being locked to holy power really sucks for aoe, so it's all building up HP, divine storm, holy wrath, repeat.

BTW

Best part ever

About Cata

Long Arm of the Law. Holy shit is that fun to hit on bosses/enemies and run really fast up to them (like a mini charge)! :D
yeah, divine storm seems pretty bad now. But they won't really buff it because you'll only really use it in a true massive aoe situation, when you MIGHT also pop consecrate.

prot paladin needs SOMETHING (I suggest something just like art of war, or making art of war much earlier in the ret tree so prot can grab it) to mix in some extra stuff, because it went from frustratingly GCD-locked to not having shit to do because frequently all 3 of your regular spam abilities (avenger's shield, crusader strike/hammer of the righteous, judgement) are on cooldown and you don't need to use consecrate that much as prot now. So it operates like ret but without art of war procs to give you something else to do, and replace 3HP templar's verdict with 3HP shield of righteousness.

and I'm copying my shaman and priest to ptr now, so I can see how bad enhance really is. if it sucks then I might just shelve my shaman, period, because I don't really want to play ele and if I level my priest to 80 then his holy spec is like resto shaman with a billion more tricks and better healing in general.

one thing to add re: paladins. Ret's new core ability for Cataclysm doesn't come in until 81, which is inquisition. When that is factored in as the massive buff to holy damage, it should make ret dps more competitive. It's a big boost now compared to live, but in cata beta it seems like ret is only really competitive when they can maintain inquisition between templar's verdict spam.

I still think prot needs a different kind of proc to make it better, either by being able to pick up art of war or having something else proc, potentially being able to use hammer of wrath whenever (a la live's current implementation of sudden death for arms warrior) but on an easily controlled proc, like from using crusader strike/hammer of the righteous.

mikeGFG

Banned
After reading Protection Paladin feedback from Beta, I was not looking forward to playing my character. However, after tanking a few heroics, I'm more or less satisfied with the rotation (actual damage is whatevz, but apparently there is some more number crunching to go). I like that Paladin tanks will have to work a little harder to generate AOE threat; no more consecrate spam, and Hammer of the Righteous applying a five-stack of your seal on every mob.

Extra HP on Crusader Strike criticals would be okay for Prot. But I dont want to see the spec becoming too proc/RNG heavy.

After months of trying and endless nights in Ulduar we finally got One Light in the Darkness ! :D

So much fail, I didn't think it was possible, even for an overgeared ICC guild.

I only have One Light and Orbituary so we'll be back so me and a few others can get the drake.

Gotta be the most annoying fight I ever done in WoW.

Swag

KernelPanic said:
Gotta be the most annoying fight I ever done in WoW.

One of the funnest fights ever, but taking to insane levels of frustration when trying to do it with bad players.

Grats on the mount.

New archaeology post by GC seems interesting, no player competition will make it worthwhile :lol

firex

Mike G.E.D. said:
After reading Protection Paladin feedback from Beta, I was not looking forward to playing my character. However, after tanking a few heroics, I'm more or less satisfied with the rotation (actual damage is whatevz, but apparently there is some more number crunching to go). I like that Paladin tanks will have to work a little harder to generate AOE threat; no more consecrate spam, and Hammer of the Righteous applying a five-stack of your seal on every mob.

Extra HP on Crusader Strike criticals would be okay for Prot. But I dont want to see the spec becoming too proc/RNG heavy.
I could see extra HP on a crusader strike crit or even something like keep 1 HP on a shield of righteousness crit. I just feel like there is too much dead time between 3 HP -> shield of righteousness and pretty much nothing else to use it on. I guess inquisition if you are going to aoe tank, so you can buff holy wrath, consecrate and hammer of the righteous's damage all at once.

On the other hand, if fights are harder so you aren't supposed to be beating the hell out of things constantly, then tanking might be fine with all this dead time between cs/hammer cooldown and judgement cooldown. I also don't mind that it has no real use for exorcism beyond pulling. Just trying to think of something because compared to ret (again, just playing both on the dummy) it feels like prot is still a few steps behind compared to ret. Total reversal for me.

Rapstah

Quick raid mechanic question: I was in an ICC10 raid yesterday and we did everything up to Festergut at which point we wiped several times and broke up (one guy left before it etc.). I entered the instance to get my updated ring now and while I was exploring a little I came across Muradin Bronzebeard saying that the way to Sindragosa was open. Did some sneaky people go clear several bosses after I left or does he just say that whenever you've downed Saurfang?

Swag

Rapstah said:
Quick raid mechanic question: I was in an ICC10 raid yesterday and we did everything up to Festergut at which point we wiped several times and broke up (one guy left before it etc.). I entered the instance to get my updated ring now and while I was exploring a little I came across Muradin Bronzebeard saying that the way to Sindragosa was open. Did some sneaky people go clear several bosses after I left or does he just say that whenever you've downed Saurfang?

I'm pretty sure he'll say that once you beat Saurfang, but you still have to clear Valithria and the Sindragosa gauntlet before you can actually get to the Sindragosa fight.

You can do whichever wing in whatever order you feel like doing them in.

Aurarian

Rapstah said:
By any chance would you be on Blackhand? I was in a ICC 10 man that didn't get past Festergut.

So you guys are probably going to yell at me. Either because of what happened or what I did with it.

A battered hilt dropped the other day in heroic PoS. I was with a very experienced friend of mine and I asked him what I should roll on that. I honestly didn't know what it was. He says, "Need on that!". So I do and I reply, "I won it. What do I do with it?" He goes, "OMG".

Pure, stupid, newbie luck right there. It was then explained to me that it starts an epic quest where you get an ICC level weapon as the reward. I was excited. The other option was putting it up on the auction house for about 10-15k. Now I'm torn. Epic quests get my insides jumping around but it's never bad to make that kind of money. So one half of my brain (the smart half) is sternly telling me to sell it because money will not be replaced when Cata comes out, unlike a weapon. But the other half (the crazy half) is pulling at me to do the quest because all signs point to it being completely awesome.

Then I find out a guildie of my friend is just starting the very first quest and I have a chance to go through the entire experience with someone along side me! The crazy half took over and we finished the entire quest chain in a little over 2 hours.

It was incredibly epic and I can't believe I own something of that level. I honestly thought I'd never have anything like that considering I wasn't going to put in the time to regular raiding. Straight awesome. So now my warlock is the proud owner of this...

Quel'Delar, Lens of the Mind

Garryk

Confused101 said:
So you guys are probably going to yell at me. Either because of what happened or what I did with it.

A battered hilt dropped the other day in heroic PoS. I was with a very experienced friend of mine and I asked him what I should roll on that. I honestly didn't know what it was. He says, "Need on that!". So I do and I reply, "I won it. What do I do with it?" He goes, "OMG".

Pure, stupid, newbie luck right there. It was then explained to me that it starts an epic quest where you get an ICC level weapon as the reward. I was excited. The other option was putting it up on the auction house for about 10-15k. Now I'm torn. Epic quests get my insides jumping around but it's never bad to make that kind of money. So one half of my brain (the smart half) is sternly telling me to sell it because money will not be replaced when Cata comes out, unlike a weapon. But the other half (the crazy half) is pulling at me to do the quest because all signs point to it being completely awesome.

Then I find out a guildie of my friend is just starting the very first quest and I have a chance to go through the entire experience with someone along side me! The crazy half took over and we finished the entire quest chain in a little over 2 hours.

It was incredibly epic and I can't believe I own something of that level. I honestly thought I'd never have anything like that considering I wasn't going to put in the time to regular raiding. Straight awesome. So now my warlock is the proud owner of this...

Quel'Delar, Lens of the Mind

Dude, there's an achievement for it. There is never any doubt when e-peen is involved.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Yeah, money isnt that hard to get and it will probably be easy to get 10k next expansion. Right decision to see the epic quest chain, since once Cataclysm is released, you won't have any chance to see it again because... who will want to run the heroic ICC 5 mans?

Flib

I sort of regret selling my battered hilt (won the only one I've seen drop), but I'm perpetually poor and it allowed me to get epic flying on all my toons, so I guess that's good.

Sebulon3k said:
One of the funnest fights ever, but taking to insane levels of frustration when trying to do it with bad players.

Well it's definitely one of the most epic fights.

Our guild does seem prone to brain farts and that probably contributed to the frustration. It's an intense fight and after doing it for 3 hours straight people just start making mistakes. The planets have to align for everyone to be on the ball. Luck plays too much of a role for my tastes (people getting CC'd and not able to get into portals etc.)

Maybe it's just me but in P3 with DBM I couldn't predict Lunatic Gaze at all. In the end me and the ranged DPS just spent most of the phase with our back to Yogg only turning around to apply DOTs. The warlock mentioned that Rain of Fire doesn't need LoS so I zoomed out so I could cast Hurricane on the adds and Yogg without turning around. Never knew that.

Lame way of going about it but I had 60+ sanity at the end and no one went insane in the raid (someone usually did during P3).

There was a lot of screaming in vent and I certainly don't want to do that ever again.

Angry Grimace

Duki said:
is the flight thing only on the ptr or everywhere?
Flight is enabled in Azeroth on the PTR, you just don't have the required skill to do it, which is why people occasionally can find ways to fly there right now.

Bisnic

So with the new upcoming currency coming for patch 4.0, where they are converting both emblems of triumph & frost to a single currency(Justice points), does that mean people will be able to buy T10 from simply running WOTLK 5 mans for the last weeks prior to Cataclysm?

Rambaldi

Bisnic said:
So with the new upcoming currency coming for patch 4.0, where they are converting both emblems of triumph & frost to a single currency(Justice points), does that mean people will be able to buy T10 from simply running WOTLK 5 mans for the last weeks prior to Cataclysm?

That is the impression that I got. Maybe to allow even more people to see the endgame of Wrath. (Not that I think that is a bad thing.)

Aurarian

DeathNote said:
I read a blizz post that they wanted all tanks to do well. They don't want you to feel the need to switch to x class for aoe tanking.
It should never have to be like that. You should be able to play the class you like playing. I've always loved warrior tanking regardless of its faults.

Bisnic

KernelPanic said:
I need to try my druid on the PTR to see if bear tanking is more interesting than just mashing swipe and mangle/maul macro.

Yeah... playing a bear feels like playing a gimped warrior.
1) Your charge cost 5 rage instead of GIVING you like 20 rage. And warriors have 2 other similar "charges".
2) You only have swipe for aoe as a basic skill and you NEED to glyph Maul if you want to have another one, and still, it only hits a 2nd target. While warriors have Thunderclap, Cleave, Shockwave & Revenge all as basic aoe skills.
3) Your interrupt/stun is on a 1 minute cooldown without the talent, and that's all you've got against casters. While warriors have an interrupt with 12 secs cooldown, a ranged interrupt with 1 minute cooldown, spell reflection, and 2 stuns.
4) Let's not mention how you lose all your rage if you need to rebuff someone, use innervate on someone who is oom, or mount.

I hate playing my bear druid, i really do. Once i got all i want from the (instant queue) heroics, i think i'll go back to cat.

Aurarian

KernelPanic said:
I need to try my druid on the PTR to see if bear tanking is more interesting than just mashing swipe and mangle/maul macro.

Yeah, I just recently found out about that. My feral druid that I'm raising to 80 before Cat is just retarded. She's 77.5 and I find tanking with her so much easier than with my warrior though i still prefer my warrior. Oh noes, feral charge > swipe/maul macro> repeat till mobs are dead. Oh no, it's a boss. Mangle/Maul macro > Lacerate/Maul macro > repeat till boss dies.

Aurarian

Bisnic said:
Yeah... playing a bear feels like playing a gimped warrior.
1) Your charge cost 5 rage instead of GIVING you like 20 rage. And warriors have 2 other similar "charges".
2) You only have swipe for aoe as a basic skill and you NEED to glyph Maul if you want to have another one, and still, it only hits a 2nd target. While warriors have Thunderclap, Cleave, Shockwave & Revenge all as basic aoe skills.
3) Your interrupt/stun is on a 1 minute cooldown without the talent, and that's all you've got against casters. While warriors have an interrupt with 12 secs cooldown, a ranged interrupt with 1 minute cooldown, spell reflection, and 2 stuns.
4) Let's not mention how you lose all your rage if you need to rebuff someone, use innervate on someone who is oom, or mount.

I hate playing my bear druid, i really do. Once i got all i want from the (instant queue) heroics, i think i'll go back to cat.

Yeah, wtf is up with feral charge? I always expect rage when I charge in and to have to hit enrage when I charge sucks. Revenge only hits one other target and that's when you crit I think. I never see it hit another mob if it's not a crit. Bash really sucks. Way too long of a cooldown especially when you have to eat shadow blasts from those mobs in Old Kingdom. At least there I could either SR, SB, or CB.

Bisnic

Aurarian said:
Yeah, wtf is up with feral charge? I always expect rage when I charge in and to have to hit enrage when I charge sucks. Revenge only hits one other target and that's when you crit I think. I never see it hit another mob if it's not a crit. Bash really sucks. Way too long of a cooldown especially when you have to eat shadow blasts from those mobs in Old Kingdom. At least there I could either SR, SB, or CB.

Revenge always hits 2 targets, crit or not. It just needs to be in melee range unlike Shockwave or Thunderclap.

And i find it funny how Revenge can basically crit for over 9000(!) on my prot warrior who only have stamina gems & tanking gear. While a glyphed Maul on my bear also with stamina gems & a bunch of dps rings/necklace/cloak/bracer can only crit for 3k-4k. Sure my warrior have 5.4k GS while my druid have 4.8k, but still... Sure Maul doesnt require you to dodge/parry/block to be used unlike Revenge, but since a decent prot warrior dodge/parry/block so much, Revenge is almost always available when not on cooldown.

No wonder i have so much trouble on aggro with my bear, while its a piece of cake with my warrior. My bear do 2-2.2k DPS, while my warrior can do around 3-3.5k. In AOE situations, it can almost reach 5-6k sometimes. I dont think my bear can even dream of that.

Bisnic said:
No wonder i have so much trouble on aggro with my bear, while its a piece of cake with my warrior. My bear do 2-2.2k DPS, while my warrior can do around 3-3.5k. In AOE situations, it can almost reach 5-6k sometimes. I dont think my bear can even dream of that.

Bear tank is basically a gimped warrior. For AoE tanking you pretty much have to constantly cycle through all targets and hit them with Maul.

Survival Instincts, Barkskin and Glyphed FR are nice as far as cooldowns go though.

Warrior, Pally and Dk are more interesting to tank with which is why I'm hoping for some changes. So far they just added Thrash, Skull Bash and nerfed the Maul Glyph iirc.

mclem

KernelPanic said:
Warrior, Pally and Dk are more interesting to tank with which is why I'm hoping for some changes. So far they just added Thrash, Skull Bash and nerfed the Maul Glyph iirc.

DOES NOT COMPUTE.

Mind you, Cataclysm might be different. But I'm not quite convinced by what I'm hearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom