• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flib

KernelPanic said:
Bear tank is basically a gimped warrior. For AoE tanking you pretty much have to constantly cycle through all targets and hit them with Maul.

Survival Instincts, Barkskin and Glyphed FR are nice as far as cooldowns go though.

Warrior, Pally and Dk are more interesting to tank with which is why I'm hoping for some changes. So far they just added Thrash, Skull Bash and nerfed the Maul Glyph iirc.

And Pulverize.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
mclem said:
DOES NOT COMPUTE.

Mind you, Cataclysm might be different. But I'm not quite convinced by what I'm hearing.
Some of you are talking about Cataclsym and some are talking about live.

I don't think Pallies are 969ing it anymore on Beta. My Pally hasn't migrated over to the PTR yet though so I can't really say yet.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Some of the number errors are kind of amusing on the PTR; i.e. Obliterate with 251 weapons and ToT doing 1400 damage to level 20 targets is kind of funny.

Aesthet1c

I'm very surprised to see the warrior tank jealousy in here. While I am in love with my prot warrior, I've always felt druids are the more OP tank. While they may not have the aoe threat we do, they have like 50% more armor and like 20k-30k more health than us. That being said, on my server (Sargeras) I almost never see any highly geared prot warriors or bear druids. Everything is DK and Pally.. in fact I would say 50% of my server is paladins :lol

I could be wrong because I've never played a bear myself, but I do plan on starting a worgen druid come cataclysm.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Aesthet1c said:
I'm very surprised to see the warrior tank jealousy in here. While I am in love with my prot warrior, I've always felt druids are the more OP tank. While they may not have the aoe threat we do, they have like 50% more armor and like 20k-30k more health than us. That being said, on my server (Sargeras) I almost never see any highly geared prot warriors or bear druids. Everything is DK and Pally.. in fact I would say 50% of my server is paladins :lol

I could be wrong because I've never played a bear myself, but I do plan on starting a worgen druid come cataclysm.

You do know why bears have more health and armor right? They can't parry or block.

Angry Grimace

Aesthet1c said:

That is because Bears just eat a million hits because they are stupid slow bears that can't parry or block.

I still can't reconcile Howling Blast as it is on PTR with how Blizzard's stated intent with AoE splash damage attacks. Especially considering that HB has an identical cost to Icy Touch, and glyphed for HB, IT isn't even going to end up used.

mikeGFG

Banned
firex said:
I could see extra HP on a crusader strike crit or even something like keep 1 HP on a shield of righteousness crit. I just feel like there is too much dead time between 3 HP -> shield of righteousness and pretty much nothing else to use it on. I guess inquisition if you are going to aoe tank, so you can buff holy wrath, consecrate and hammer of the righteous's damage all at once.

On the other hand, if fights are harder so you aren't supposed to be beating the hell out of things constantly, then tanking might be fine with all this dead time between cs/hammer cooldown and judgement cooldown. I also don't mind that it has no real use for exorcism beyond pulling. Just trying to think of something because compared to ret (again, just playing both on the dummy) it feels like prot is still a few steps behind compared to ret. Total reversal for me.

The gaps in the PTR tanking rotation are almost a throwback to the kind of gaps Paladins would see in their Burning Crusade tanking rotation. And I'm cool with that, because to maximize your threat, or make up for your small toolbox of abilities you really had to come up with some neat tricks to hold agro. I remember using Frost Nova engineering bombs religiously on Morogirm Tidewalker in SSC, and again on during Felmyst in Sunwell. I miss having to do silly shit like that. :lol

As far as ret goes: the spec is SO dependent on Holy Power that downtime during questing, dungeons and even some boss fights will cause your Holy Power to slowly deplete, which would become really obnoxious, really quickly. And then other times it seems that I can't spend of the Holy Power, that I'm generating through talents and procs, fast enough. It makes me think that through some exact amount of Haste rating and Mastery rating that the spec will be facerolling yet again.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Flib said:
I sort of regret selling my battered hilt (won the only one I've seen drop), but I'm perpetually poor and it allowed me to get epic flying on all my toons, so I guess that's good.

As much as it'd be fucking awesome on my 'lock i'd probably end up selling it too.

How i still haven't been able to raise the 4000g to get epic flying i don't know, and i have the epic flyer from Heroic Strat lying in my bank ¬_¬

But just getting back after a 2 month break one of my aims is to get that 4000g and buy it before Cata.

J-Rzez

DeathNote said:
any word on ptr premades? i've been catching the ability to copy your character more and more.

I never got the option to do such yet, I only got 1 of 4 of my copies playable so far. I see many people asking when they'll get premades up and running more and more though, that's about it.

The majority of things people are talking about now though is how tough tanking has become. My DK didn't copy over, and I have a bit of tanking gear on it so I'll have to wait to check it out I suppose.

vilmer_

Cindres said:
As much as it'd be fucking awesome on my 'lock i'd probably end up selling it too.

How i still haven't been able to raise the 4000g to get epic flying i don't know, and i have the epic flyer from Heroic Strat lying in my bank ¬_¬

But just getting back after a 2 month break one of my aims is to get that 4000g and buy it before Cata.

I'm in the same boat as well. I've actually won 3 hilts total - the first one on my Paladin, I did the quest for the sword. The second two times on my Mage, the first I sold for a couple pieces of 264 gear, epic flying and sent over 5k to a friend. The third time I sold it for much less than what it was going for previously, and I sent the gold to my other alts for leveling instead of getting my Paladin's epic mount. Needless to say, I really want to get it before Cataclysm :)

C.Dark.DN

Banned
J-Rzez said:
I never got the option to do such yet, I only got 1 of 4 of my copies playable so far. I see many people asking when they'll get premades up and running more and more though, that's about it.

The majority of things people are talking about now though is how tough tanking has become. My DK didn't copy over, and I have a bit of tanking gear on it so I'll have to wait to check it out I senough tank gear and i'm not good theory crafter on my death knight. seems like you could use the same unholy rotation to me. shrug.

Tamanon

Banned
I don't think they'll do premades for the PTR, if only because there are a bajillion level 80s and they'd prefer someone used to a spec already to test the new version of it.

Sciz

firex said:
and I'm copying my shaman and priest to ptr now, so I can see how bad enhance really is. if it sucks then I might just shelve my shaman, period, because I don't really want to play ele and if I level my priest to 80 then his holy spec is like resto shaman with a billion more tricks and better healing in general.
The doom and gloom is overstated, as far as I can tell. Less buttons to hit since you aren't refreshing magma totem and lightning shield or popping fire nova all the time. Dropping searing instead of magma is also nice since you don't have to waste a GCD dropping totems once you're already in melee range. The Lava Lash cooldown being a bit longer is throwing me off still, and having it be higher priority than rock bottom feels weird. The damage is nice though. Unleash Elements should fill in some of the gaps nicely and make it feel a little more active, like on live. Haven't run into mana problems yet either, though I can see how it might be an issue in PvP.

oh hey
Ghostcrawler said:
In our current Cataclysm build, we have cut the Primal Wisdom talent (and give it as part of the Enhancement passive) and reduced Unleashed Rage from 3 to 2 ranks, but with the same overall effect. That should take care of the extra talent points that the tree seemed to have.

We are still working on making the Searing Totem a little smarter.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Archaeology seems so cool. I can see some people not bothering with the effort but I'd rather be searching for invisible things than running a dungeon :lol

krypt0nian said:
Anyone making any decent cash with Alchemy right now?
Only through transmutes of epic gems and the occasional high-end potion.

J-Rzez

DeathNote said:

The majority of things people are talking about now though is how tough tanking has become. My DK didn't copy over, and I have a bit of tanking gear on it so I'll have to wait to check it out I senough tank gear and i'm not good theory crafter on my death knight. seems like you could use the same unholy rotation to me. shrug.

Wait, try that again.

Just tried out my Pally and man has things changed now. I'm actually down 2k dps at the moment. I even tested it out on a normal lvl 80 dummy and found it to be the same. I see others are having some issues as well in the end. WTB - numbers pass. :lol

Apparently ranged are having an even bigger field day in PVP atm. I'll have to check that out.

speedpop said:
Archaeology seems so cool. I can see some people not bothering with the effort but I'd rather be searching for invisible things than running a dungeon :lol

Only through transmutes of epic gems and the occasional high-end potion.

Arch - yes it does. A nice lore based time waster!

Thanks re: Alchemy. :D

Aesthet1c

Bisnic said:
You do know why bears have more health and armor right? They can't parry or block.

I understand that, but there is other mechanics to it. My block only blocks roughly 2000 damage, and parry and block doesn't do anything against spell damage or special attacks. I would drop block and parry in an instant if i was told I could be armor capped with 80k health.

Ok, speed pop, thanks for the tips.

I got a x10 proc on my Flask of Endless Rage and sold 17 of them for 25g each. Then grabbed the quest for the epic gem transmute and got going on that.

My guild has been banging its head against 10m NORMAL Dreamwalker for the past 2 raid nights. We are completely inept. I think the highest we've gotten her is 80%, and that was like 6 min 20 sec into the fight. I know the soft enrage timer is around 6 mins, so I'm convinced this is a healing issue.

Our comp is 2 tanks, 5 dps, 3 heals. We've tried every combination of healer going into the portals, but it seems none of them can up past 25 stacks during the 5-6 minute fight. How many stacks should they be getting? I feel like there isn't much more we can do as DPS with the fight already lasting past 6 minutes.

Edit: Jesus...we just lasted 7 minutes 30 seconds...our healers blow.

firex

Sciz said:
The doom and gloom is overstated, as far as I can tell. Less buttons to hit since you aren't refreshing magma totem and lightning shield or popping fire nova all the time. Dropping searing instead of magma is also nice since you don't have to waste a GCD dropping totems once you're already in melee range. The Lava Lash cooldown being a bit longer is throwing me off still, and having it be higher priority than rock bottom feels weird. The damage is nice though. Unleash Elements should fill in some of the gaps nicely and make it feel a little more active, like on live. Haven't run into mana problems yet either, though I can see how it might be an issue in PvP.

oh hey
My shaman is still pending copy, over 12 hours later, while my priest made it through.

I will say I feel like priest is a vastly superior healer now (and on live) with a much better toolkit. It's like paladin tank vs warrior tank: paladins have plenty of stuff that is pretty overpowered on live and are great tanks, but because they weren't really built as a tank originally, they don't have as many tank tools as a warrior does. Shamans are a good healer but don't have as much of a healing toolkit, because they weren't designed as mostly a healer, like priests were.

The ptr enhance build is better than the current on live, but they need to address shamans without buffs as there is basically no reason to bring one for buffs anymore. Any raid with a mage or a BM hunter covers bloodlust, and that leaves only a couple buffs that might not be covered in a 10 man raid (especially a class run). If you have a shadow priest, then you don't need wrath of air totem. If you have a warrior/DK, you don't need strength of earth totem. If you have a paladin, you don't need mana spring totem (also the paladin gets to nullify unleashed rage for you).

I hate to be just qqing but they still have a lot of work to do with the shaman class if they want it to remain as represented as it is now, much less increase the number of people playing them. They've gutted their buffs/given them all to other classes in an easier, better way than the terrible totem system, and they haven't given us enough to make up for it.

Bit random but have they shown what forms Druid worgen folk look like? and what about mounts for some reason a guy I work with thinks they might get a paid for speed buff for land so they can run around in worgen form which would be pretty cool..

Probably what I will level for cata for bear tank or a war to end up as a prot tank.

mclem

pyrealnova said:
My guild has been banging its head against 10m NORMAL Dreamwalker for the past 2 raid nights. We are completely inept. I think the highest we've gotten her is 80%, and that was like 6 min 20 sec into the fight. I know the soft enrage timer is around 6 mins, so I'm convinced this is a healing issue.

Our comp is 2 tanks, 5 dps, 3 heals. We've tried every combination of healer going into the portals, but it seems none of them can up past 25 stacks during the 5-6 minute fight. How many stacks should they be getting? I feel like there isn't much more we can do as DPS with the fight already lasting past 6 minutes.

Got a world of logs or similar parse we could look at?

One common problem we had was healers who tried to heal Valithria 'smartly', using their full range of heals intelligently. You don't want that, you pretty much want to spam her with your highest HPS heal throughout.

firex

The best thing to do with Valithria is look at your healer makeup and see which healer has the least throughput/HPS (i.e. who isn't a holy paladin/priest) and have them handle healing the raid (pretty easy to do) while your heavy healers do all the dream portal stuff.

Aesthet1c

pyrealnova said:

Our healers usually have her healed by the time they reach 25 stacks. Are they letting it drop at all? It seems that at least for us, if one of our healers loses his stacks at any point then it's probably a wipe. One tip that helped us a little was use crusader aura, it works on the healers when they are in ghost form and helps them gather all the orbs faster. They also have to be on the ball and just spamming their heavy heal + hots every second they are out of the portal, if they are taking time off of dreamwalker to help with raid heals then it's going to make the fight take too long and probably cause a wipe. Also, if you have a shaman, have him renew his healing stream totem every time he comes out of the portal to help with raid heals. At 25 stacks our shaman's healing stream was ticking for over 3k :D.

EDIT: Just to clarify, we have a 1 healer stay out and heal the raid full time, while the other 2 healers do nothing but portals and heal dreamwalker.

Jrmint

krypt0nian said:
Anyone making any decent cash with Alchemy right now?
Transmution mastery + epic gem transmute every day = $$$

Or, elixir master + Monday nights/Tuesday morning sales = $$$

Alchemy is one of the best gold making professions in the game.

Aesthet1c

Skel said:

Yeah I sell a gem every day for 90+ gold. About 60-70 of which is pure profit.

It's especially awesome when I proc 3 gems and make like 250 free gold.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I went into GameStop yesterday to order the CE edition of Cataclysm and they told me it's sold out nationwide in stores... anyone else hear the same thing?

Am I really too late to get that thing? I'm thinking I'll just order from Amazon, but I won't get it release day. :(

We tried heroic dreamwalker a few times for the first time last night.

It doesn't seem all that more difficult but then I'm not a healer.

Biggest problem is lack of interrupts for the mana draining frostbolts, and the healers are still learning the mechanics on their end. We got a holy pally and resto shammy healing her, disc priest healing the raid.

DPS needs to kill stuff faster, we're kind of all over the place.

Hopefully tomorrow, not looking forward to H Sindragosa though.

Yazus

My guils is stuck 11/12 ICC10 HM and 6/12 ICC25 HM.

Sindragosa 10 HM blows, we cant get her past 60% HPs.
Putricide 25HM is so fucking hard. So many stuff going on, enrage + void zones + two experiments + malleable goo and other shit. Seriously... all other 25HM guilds in my realm are stuck to him (in my server no one has killed LK25HM yet... Crap I know).

Also, last night I got my Tiny Abomin. in a Jar (Im a pala Retri), now at 6100GS... Felt good.
The proc is quite good and on trash recount lists it as my 5th ability :lol

Speaking of Cataclysm, I won a contest one month ago and I got my beta key. I was so happy! Then I copied my live character over (retri pala) and started leveling... I'm at 85 ATM, doing less DPS than live in full iLvl333/346/305 equipments. Its just ridicolous!

-Holy Power generation is randoom at best. You get one HP out of Crusader Strike each 4.5 seconds baseline, cd scales with haste (at 15%haste because of Judgment of the Pure I get 3.3sec CD). Judgment/Exorcism and Holy Wrath have 40% to generate one stack: its like rogue combo points abilities didnt generate 1CP but randoomly 40% chance to generate one... think about the backfire the community would have!

-Our 31 Point talent, Zealotry, is beyond useless. We get CS to genrate 3 holy power, but in order to activate Zealotry we need to spend 3 stacks of holy power. IN addiction, CS CD is 3.3sec for me, hence I need to push CS, wait 3.5 sec, push Templar Verdict (our main source of dmg, 225% weap damage at 3 stacks of HP) and wait the CGD then so on... boring to death

-Inquisition, our lvl81 Spell, boosts our Holy Power to 10 seconds (talented) per HP we have. Consumes all stacks. What the fuck? We have 30% boost using all our 3 HP (that we get in around 10 seconds) to boost HOLY DAMAGE? Templar Verdict is not holy damage. Its like warlocks had an ability that boosts frost damage, who gives a fuck? Also, Inquisition isnt refreshed by anything, so we throw away our precious 3 stacks for a boost that lasts 30 seconds, after those 30 seconds we need to waste 3hp again for a boost that affects SEALS AND CONSECRATION.

-Exorcism hits for 2k , 3k crits and Art of War makes it instant cast, too bad AoW procs 20% white swings. FFS...

Recap: Pala retris are shit atm, the suck bad, dps is fucking slow but numbers are being balanced trough beta, but fun is not. Fun is a factor that should be BALANCED ATM, and it is not. Each build is a huge nerf to FUN. I prefer facerolling trough raids with CS/DS/Exo proccing 100% and Consecration + Infinite Mana from JoW than ATM, where we have to wait to build up SLOWLY our fucking 3 stacks and then doing less DPS than a tank.

Dunlop

Aesthet1c said:
EDIT: Just to clarify, we have a 1 healer stay out and heal the raid full time, while the other 2 healers do nothing but portals and heal dreamwalker.

Also if this healer is a Holy Priest (for the love of gawd if you have a holy priest make him stay outside) they can put Guardian Spirit on the Boss for a massive healing boost, just have someone call when you are out of the portals so he know when to cast.

I had it macro'd

idlewild_

Dunlop said:
Also if this healer is a Holy Priest (for the love of gawd if you have a holy priest make him stay outside) they can put Guardian Spirit on the Boss for a massive healing boost, just have someone call when you are out of the portals so he know when to cast.

I had it macro'd

have him glyph guardian spirit too

mclem

Yazus said:

Putricide 25HM is so fucking hard. So many stuff going on, enrage + void zones + two experiments + malleable goo and other shit. Seriously... all other 25HM guilds in my realm are stuck to him (in my server no one has killed LK25HM yet... Crap I know).

Why are you pushing on Putricide 25H if you're only 6/12? There's some markedly easier bosses in there still; we're only just starting to make progress on Putricide and we're 9/12.

Aesthet1c

Yazus said:

My effing guild is still suck on 10 NORMAL Sindragosa. My guildmates for whatever reason are inept at controlling the ice blocks and removing their stacks. Our dps kind of slows to a crawl around 20% health because we are getting extra ice blocks, so dps has to come off the boss and help with the blocks.

One strategy I read is to reach for like 600 frost resist on your main tank, and only single tank it. Then use 2 healers and 7 dps. When you hit phase 2 you break the ice blocks like normal, but once you get to like 15-20% health, you blow hero and just melt the boss ignoring ice blocked players. Has anyone tried this strategy?

ampere

Aesthet1c said:
My effing guild is still suck on 10 NORMAL Sindragosa. My guildmates for whatever reason are inept at controlling the ice blocks and removing their stacks. Our dps kind of slows to a crawl around 20% health because we are getting extra ice blocks, so dps has to come off the boss and help with the blocks.

One strategy I read is to reach for like 600 frost resist on your main tank, and only single tank it. Then use 2 healers and 7 dps. When you hit phase 2 you break the ice blocks like normal, but once you get to like 15-20% health, you blow hero and just melt the boss ignoring ice blocked players. Has anyone tried this strategy?
Uh, don't do that.

Ever.

Solo tanking it with frost resist is fine, but you have to burn people out of ice blocks. Seriously, if you struggle on regular 10, ignoring ice blocks is the worst approach you could take.
One of our boomkins will barely scratch Sindy in phase 3, almost all of his dps going to frost tombs.

ampere

pyrealnova said:

Your healers aren't doing it right. I solo heal her on reg 10 and it takes barely any time (not sure exactly how long though).
Heroic 10 or if you're new to reg 10 you should use 2 healers in the portals and 1 outside. Healing her consists of (for resto shamans) only using healing wave and the occasional riptide or swiftness if you need to move or when the riptide effect falls off.

So as someone said, don't diversify spells, spam the big one. It's a really easy fight... and it sounds like tanking/dps isn't the problem at all.

notworksafe

El_TigroX said:
I went into GameStop yesterday to order the CE edition of Cataclysm and they told me it's sold out nationwide in stores... anyone else hear the same thing?

Am I really too late to get that thing? I'm thinking I'll just order from Amazon, but I won't get it release day. :(
Not sure if it's sold out or not, but you can order from Amazon now and upgrade to release day shipping later. Amazon doesn't turn on release day shipping on anything until a release day is announced.

Aesthet1c

ciaossu said:
Uh, don't do that.

Ever.

Solo tanking it with frost resist is fine, but you have to burn people out of ice blocks. Seriously, if you struggle on regular 10, ignoring ice blocks is the worst approach you could take.
One of our boomkins will barely scratch Sindy in phase 3, almost all of his dps going to frost tombs.

That's our problem. Too much of our dps is being focused on killing ice blocks and not enough is on the boss. I'm not talking about ignoring ice blocks completely. I'm just saying once she is like 15% health, just hero and burn her down. The time it would take to kill her you would only lose like 2 people to ice blocks.

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to become immune to frost damage on her? I'm hearing at 600 FR, you basically dont take any frost damage anymore.

Skel said:

Can I ask why Monday night/Tuesday morning sales? Forgive my noobitude...

On P3 we have the 1st ice block run to the left and the raid stays on the right.

We then run over clear stacks, bust them out.

Next ice block goes to the right.

Rinse/repeat.

Yazus

mclem said:
Why are you pushing on Putricide 25H if you're only 6/12? There's some markedly easier bosses in there still; we're only just starting to make progress on Putricide and we're 9/12.

Sorry I expressed myself bad. We are stuck at Putricide HC 25... we did The Princes/Queen and Valrithia (valrithia HC is a joke). Putri hc is so hard and we are stuck, we arent even attempting sindragosa hc atm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom