• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twig

Banned
cuevas said:
Am I a dick because I sold mounts or because I have completely different motivations for playing this game? I like challenges and completing them makes me happy. This expansion I will try to get gladiator since I have already been successful in pve and don't have the time to devote to it anymore.
You're a dick because why would you even post that other than to troll me? There was literally no reason. It was flamebait, and I bit. :3
webrunner said:
If you want a bear mount there are other bears.
Not the one I want most. The Zul'Aman bear is the best bear in the game, in my opinion. The Armored Netherdrake is the best dragon in the game, in my opinion. Sure, I can settle for second best, but the fact that I have to is frustrating, annoying, and stupid. These days, especially, now that people have ACHIEVEMENTS (with attached dates) if they want to show off, there's no real reason to remove cool content from the game.
Sai said:
Titles like Hand of A'dal and the Amani War Bear Mount were removed because Blizzard thought that the people who earned it during that time should have it exclusively, and that they were very special things. Their design for that kinda thing has obviously changed a bit, considering the Ulduar and Icecrown Drakes + Titles are still available, but you can tell they were still trying to shut people out because they got rid of the Naxx achievement drakes.

I'm not really sure what my point is here, except that Blizzard makes weird decisions sometimes, and you just gotta go for what you can every chance you get before it gets removed.
Yes, I understand why they were removed, and yes, Blizzard is incredibly inconsistent in how they do things. It's like the people who work there have different opinions or some kind of bullshit. D:

Dresden said:
Quit the game a few hours ago. I just realized that I don't give a fuck about hitting Gladiator, along with being bored by WoW pvp, and that's like the only thing I enjoyed in the game anymore. :lol

Good luck everyone.

Just out of curiosity did you PvE at all? The xpacs quests and dungeons are much much more enjoyable for now because people have to actually play their classes to some extent.

Tol Barad imo is really just not fun at all, I prefer WG any day and I wish it was still more viable.

Dresden

Nostalgic Nightmare said:
Just out of curiosity did you PvE at all? The xpacs quests and dungeons are much much more enjoyable for now because people have to actually play their classes to some extent.

Tol Barad imo is really just not fun at all, I prefer WG any day and I wish it was still more viable.
Ran heroics and such a few times for valor points before giving it up. After, for example, a run through heroic HoO I had no urge to go back. :lol The PVE content doesn't interest me in the game. Arena is cool but after playing it for damn near every season I'm bored now.

And yeah, Tol Barad is miserable, although cockblocking the Horde for days by playing defense was fun.

I still think it's a good game. It just wasn't for me anymore. I guess I'll go play TF2 or something again.

Thnikkaman said:
So I'm new to playing on MMO PVP servers and I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same kind of experience as me? Still at lvl47 (xmas break) with my warrior and I've been playing through contested areas in the Eastern Kingdoms. My goal is to level up by doing the important quest lines in each zone until I get the exploration and questing achievements, then I move on. In all of the time spent in the Plaguelands, Badlands, Burning Steppes I've only been killed in pvp twice - one shotted by lvl80 characters. Every other encounter has been really interesting. One example was at the dig site in the Badlands: me and an even level dwarf meet in the ruins and each of us want to do the puzzles. We end up running away from each other lots and eventually just boogied and left each other alone. Haven't even met any hardcore player killers yet, should I only be expecting this at max level?
At level 26 I've only encountered a couple of similar leveled guys on my server and we both just stood there for a second and just ignored each other. It's tense though!

Nothing wrong with that. I took a good 6-8 months off and played a bunch of backlog during wrath. Looking back on it now, I still think wrath (while ruined the way 5 mans/raids were done) had a certain magic about it so to speak. All of the graphics and music were really well done, and it truly felt like a separate continent. Don't get me wrong it's still early with cata, and I appreciate what they are trying to do, but it doesn't seem to have that same feel to it.
If you need the time, take it. If the game calls you back, you'll play it again. All there is to it.

Richiban

Hey Guys!

Enough lurking for me, I want in on the conversation!

Question though: Anyone got a Pally healer? I'm already tank specced, which I love, and I'm still learning the ropes of the new dungeons (as an aside, is there an addon or something that will allow me to learn boss moves or anything like that faster? Like when I have to move on Ozruk and things like that?)

Anyways, I digress. What's pally healing like these days? I'm thinking of switching my secondary spec to holy to help out my guild when we're down a healer, but have a dearth of tanks. Is it viable, or should I just level a priest?

mcrae

Richiban said:
Hey Guys!

Question though: Anyone got a Pally healer? I'm already tank specced, which I love, and I'm still learning the ropes of the new dungeons (as an aside, is there an addon or something that will allow me to learn boss moves or anything like that faster? Like when I have to move on Ozruk and things like that?)

Anyways, I digress. What's pally healing like these days? I'm thinking of switching my secondary spec to holy to help out my guild when we're down a healer, but have a dearth of tanks. Is it viable, or should I just level a priest?

its called Deadly Boss Mods

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Richiban said:
I want to start a tauren holy paladin after my warrior reaches max level, so I'd like to know too.

Richiban said:
Hey Guys!

Deadly Boss Mods http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/deadly-boss-mods.aspx

This is your best friend.

As far as healing, I hear pally healers are pretty good right now.

Richiban said:
Hey Guys!

I cant speak to the healing side as I tank on my pally but you really need deadlybossmods or something similar.
http://www.deadlybossmods.com/downloads.php
As for healing, I did it on my Priest, and a great addon while less known is Vuhdo
http://vuhdo.ithato.com/tiki-index.php
I still use it while tanking for quick decurses, certain taunts etc. Really nice customizable addon with good support.

Pallys used to be great tank healers as they werent very mobile. I'm not sure about now, but mana will be your main issue in cata at least for now.

Dresden

Richiban said:
Hey Guys!

Probably the most mana-efficient healer right now, and the best overall. PvP-wise they're the hardest to kill, although a well-played resto shaman is the most dangerous thing in 3v3's. PVE wise I hear they're excellent still.

Priest is the hardest healer to use right now. Don't reroll.

forgrim

SnakeswithLasers said:
Deadly Boss Mods http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/deadly-boss-mods.aspx

This is your best friend.

As far as healing, I hear pally healers are pretty good right now.

As a pally healer, we are definetly in a good place. We have lots of synergy with beacon and our talent that heals ourself whenever we heal someone else. And beacon of light chains off of it to effectively cause ticks of healing. However, our two AoE heals are still lackluster (imo) and whenever there are fights with mass aoe damage, I have a hard time trying to keep everyone up rapidly. As an example, most of my dps will probably sit near mid health instead of full health due to not having time to top them off. Not to mention, that we can regen our mana using judgement and seal of insight. Unless its a super long hard fight, I never run out of mana, unlike many priests i see.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I cant speak to the healing side as I tank on my pally but you really need deadlybossmods or something similar.
http://www.deadlybossmods.com/downloads.php
no. nothing "similar". pretty much all guilds have deadly boss mods as a requirement for membership.

I was halfway in between thinking DBM was cheating and obviously it being incredibly useful.... until I got stuck on Rohash's platform for Four Winds............ with DBM and it configured appropriately, Wind Blast is slightly annoying to inconsequential... with DBM BEFORE I configured it as such, Wind Blast was the bane of the raid. 2 second cast time combined with a visual wind effect on top of the other visual wind effects and tornadoes on the platform combined with both people getting knocked off equaling a wipe... yeah, not fun.

Dresden said:
Ran heroics and such a few times for valor points before giving it up. After, for example, a run through heroic HoO I had no urge to go back. :lol The PVE content doesn't interest me in the game. Arena is cool but after playing it for damn near every season I'm bored now.

And yeah, Tol Barad is miserable, although cockblocking the Horde for days by playing defense was fun.

I still think it's a good game. It just wasn't for me anymore. I guess I'll go play TF2 or something again.
guild heroics = very fun. pug heroics = wipe after wipe after wipe combined with plenty of /kicks and /leaves. With that being said, even with guild heroics it only took a week or so to get full 346 gear. and you only get 490 VP per week doing the daily random. So outside of that 490 VP the ONLY worthwhile reason are the three non-daily reps (Hyjal, Ramkahen, and Earthen Ring). And still yet, Hyjal quests get you to a good way into revered to begin with (and spell DPS doesn't even need hyjal beyond revered), Earthen Ring starts you out close to revered by the time you finish Twilight Highlands... so really the only rep you'll be grinding out is part of Revered if you need Hyjal, and a good chunk or honored and revered Ramkahen. Point being, it only takes a week or so to get geared out of heroics, and really only a week more of running randoms to get your reps. Beyond that, 490 VPs per week is a horrible way to get geared up in 359s....

borghe said:
no. nothing "similar". pretty much all guilds have deadly boss mods as a requirement for membership.

I was halfway in between thinking DBM was cheating and obviously it being incredibly useful.... until I got stuck on Rohash's platform for Four Winds............ with DBM and it configured appropriately, Wind Blast is slightly annoying to inconsequential... with DBM BEFORE I configured it as such, Wind Blast was the bane of the raid. 2 second cast time combined with a visual wind effect on top of the other visual wind effects and tornadoes on the platform combined with both people getting knocked off equaling a wipe... yeah, not fun.

Id be interested in that config because that fight indeed has a lot going on. Just as an FYI there is something similar and it was up to date before DBM called bigwigs. I havent used it but I know plenty who like it as much if not more.
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/big-wigs.aspx

borghe

Id be interested in that config because that fight indeed has a lot going on. Just as an FYI there is something similar and it was up to date before DBM called bigwigs. I havent used it but I know plenty who like it as much if not more.
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/big-wigs.aspx
if you are on the Rohash platform, chances are you are not going to be leaving the platform in 10 man, and a good chance in 25 man that you will only be going to the freeze guy's platform to soak up damage during the special. So with that being said...

In Conclave of the Winds (or whatever) turn off all announces except Wind Blast. In general DBM options change the Raid Announce sound to Omen Aooga (the most obnoxious sound I could find in the default install).

The problem is that Wind Blast comes up just like any other spell despite how potentially devastating it is to the raid.. Hopefully DBM authors fix that. So you get

Slicing Gale
Slicing Gale
Slicing Gale
Slicing Gale
Slicing Gale
Slicing Gale
Slicing Gale
Wind Blast
Slicing Gale
Slicing Gale
Slicing Gale

Like I said though, you basically have two seconds to notice he is casting Wind Blast before you see he's pointing straight at you and you have to haul ass to get out of the way. At least with the way I've described to set it up you hear the "AAOOOOGGGGAAA" and reflexively look up, see him pointing at you, and blink behind the wind blast rotation. You have to turn all of the other announces off cause otherwise Aooga will go off every time he casts Slicing Gale (i.e. every 2-3 seconds)

You may have/want to adjust this is you are jumping over to the next platform for the ice guy for his frontal cone effect.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Glutton for Icy Punishment is fucking impossible. It's impossible to tell if you are actually getting hit or not, sometimes it looks like you don't and the counter resets, but other times it looks like you do and the counter doesn't reset. Plus sometimes the jump pads don't work or you get stuck on an ice thing. The fire one was mind-numbingly easy but this is just retarded.

Edit: Nevermind, turns out I just had to mount up and do it, which made it really easy. :lol

Twig

Banned
Woohoo! My plan succeeded! I am feeling somewhat burnt out on WoW! This is good because I've been playing it way too much lately just so that I wouldn't want to play it as much once school starts again in... five days.

Of course now I have five days left to waste. Not sure what to do. U:

borghe

NameGenerated said:
Glutton for Icy Punishment is fucking impossible. It's impossible to tell if you are actually getting hit or not, sometimes it looks like you don't and the counter resets, but other times it looks like you do and the counter doesn't reset. Plus sometimes the jump pads don't work or you get stuck on an ice thing. The fire one was mind-numbingly easy but this is just retarded.

Edit: Nevermind, turns out I just had to mount up and do it, which made it really easy. :lol
yeah, the ice platform needs some tweaking because some of the difficulty comes from shit just not really making sense or being apparent.

The jump pads disappear very shortly (few seconds) before the specials begin at 90 energy and reappear after the specials are over. The point of the pads disappearing is that people could simply exploit the 2-3 seconds of jumping to avoid the damage from the specials on each platform.

Rapstah

The Lamonster said:
When I get burned out on WoW I fire up the old Warcraft III or StarCraft II for some Tower Defense action.
I was about to holler at you for just playing games containing "craft" but then I realised I also play only those, WoW and Minecraft. :(

EDIT: Nah, now that I think about it, there's a ton of other games. Disregard.

TheYanger

borghe said:
if you are on the Rohash platform, chances are you are not going to be leaving the platform in 10 man, and a good chance in 25 man that you will only be going to the freeze guy's platform to soak up damage during the special. So with that being said...

In Conclave of the Winds (or whatever) turn off all announces except Wind Blast. In general DBM options change the Raid Announce sound to Omen Aooga (the most obnoxious sound I could find in the default install).

The problem is that Wind Blast comes up just like any other spell despite how potentially devastating it is to the raid.. Hopefully DBM authors fix that. So you get

Slicing Gale
Slicing Gale
Slicing Gale
Slicing Gale
Slicing Gale
Slicing Gale
Slicing Gale
Wind Blast
Slicing Gale
Slicing Gale
Slicing Gale

Like I said though, you basically have two seconds to notice he is casting Wind Blast before you see he's pointing straight at you and you have to haul ass to get out of the way. At least with the way I've described to set it up you hear the "AAOOOOGGGGAAA" and reflexively look up, see him pointing at you, and blink behind the wind blast rotation. You have to turn all of the other announces off cause otherwise Aooga will go off every time he casts Slicing Gale (i.e. every 2-3 seconds)

You may have/want to adjust this is you are jumping over to the next platform for the ice guy for his frontal cone effect.

Should see it on heroic >.< Wind Blast is the ultimate wipe mechanic for people that aren't top of their game.

borghe

TheYanger said:
Should see it on heroic >.< Wind Blast is the ultimate wipe mechanic for people that aren't top of their game.
what changes on heroic? (too lazy to look it up :p)

edit - yeah, and wind blast is the quickest way I know of to wipe on Four Winds. Everyone has to stay somewhat close to each other for healing (11K/22K per hit damage is no joke on ranged casters) so if you get an unlucky facing on Wind Blast, he blows everyone off the platform (not even kills) and then the rest of the raid is silenced. Instant wipe.

J-Rzez

HixxSAFC said:
I'm still miffed that there's no 333 strength dps helms apart from a green BS crafted helm which is rubbish. No JC crafted necks or rings either, which is ridiculous when there are TWO agility variations for each piece.

From what? There's two from instances, one in ToT, and one in (oops) DMs. I have both sitting in my bags. Due to one having mastery which is shit on my unholy spec, but better for frost.

I said before about the stupid lack of DPS plate gear from Quest rewards/Crafting, but people yelled at me. 95% of the people don't care that there's a lack of gear for themselves.

The JC thing is absolutely retarded on their part especially, with plans for basically everything else, and rep-gear is "ho-hum" too pending on Class/Spec of DPS plate.

TheYanger

I'm a tank so I've never even been on that platform. I'm told the wind blast moves faster. There are tornados to avoid (No idea if there are on normal), there's a shield that you have to dps through quickly or he annihilates the platform (Also no idea if it's on normal). He stacks a debuff on the platform for nature damage, like the frost guy does. Think that's about it.

Fularu

Banned
TheYanger said:
I'm a tank so I've never even been on that platform. I'm told the wind blast moves faster. There are tornados to avoid (No idea if there are on normal), there's a shield that you have to dps through quickly or he annihilates the platform (Also no idea if it's on normal). He stacks a debuff on the platform for nature damage, like the frost guy does. Think that's about it.
I see you're in Jugg but I don't remember you from my time on MG (I was in Vigil), where you playing your DK then? (around the time LK got killed on regular first)

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Is the TB Bridge trick fixed? My character just got to lvl 54 so I'm kind of bummed I missed out on taking "Advantage" it.

Twig

Banned
Yeah, but I think the bridge trick still works... if you consider it worth doing the trick for, what it is now, 360 honor? And only if you're winning on offense. I've only NOT gotten into one TB since they fixed the honor reward. Not a big deal to just queue up anymore... though I'm sure it might be on a less balanced server. Either way, glad it's back to the way it used to be!

Also, Alliance took TB from us again, thus proving it's not impossible to win offense. Feels good to be right. :3

Just an interesting story, I have never really had more than 10k in gold in reserve since ive been playing as I level profs etc. One day I'm doing TB dailies and this drops
http://www.wowhead.com/item=67131

So i'm like ok cool lets go see what its been selling for. Well there had only been about 5 ever on the server since the low drop rate, but the past 5 had gone for about 36k each.
So after advertising in trade a bit I finally sold it to someone for 25k. When he dropped over to meet me in org, he gave me the money, and I dragged the cape over, thanked him and we parted ways. Well about 5 minutes later I was looking in my bags, and it was still there! At first I thought it was bugged so i reloaded my UI, still there. Immediately I begin to type to the buyer that I would like to see the cape on him if possible, thinking maybe it was bugged and I had another one somehow. Before I could finish typing I get a tell saying "umm its not in my bag" and I said ok good, because I still have it. I must have dragged it into the will not be traded slot out of habit, and I felt horrible with that much money on the line for the poor guy. All in all he came back, got the cape, was totally cool about it. When he asked me what I was going to buy with the money, I said "nothing" im too cheap to spend it and will just use it as padding for some time.
:lol

TheYanger

Fularu said:
I see you're in Jugg but I don't remember you from my time on MG (I was in Vigil), where you playing your DK then? (around the time LK got killed on regular first)

Nope, been there since july or so. I played my DK just not on mal'ganis :)

Ha thanks. Yeah I actually felt sick to my stomach at first once I realized what happened. I know its a game and whatnot, but there's no way I would have been a dick like that. I'm guessing even if I was he could have reported me somehow. I guess I've never had that much cash as to where If I actually paid 25k for something, I wouldn't check my bags for it the second the transaction was done. I have to figure some of these people have hundreds of thousands if not more.

Randy

Ha thanks. Yeah I actually felt sick to my stomach at first once I realized what happened. I know its a game and whatnot, but there's no way I would have been a dick like that. I'm guessing even if I was he could have reported me somehow. I guess I've never had that much cash as to where If I actually paid 25k for something, I wouldn't check my bags for it the second the transaction was done. I have to figure some of these people have hundreds of thousands if not more.

I do have that feeling too from time to time, when leaving a (fail)pug or when I really have to go for unplanned real-life stuff. Good to hear there are other non-dickheads too in WoW. :)

Twig said:
Yeah, but I think the bridge trick still works... if you consider it worth doing the trick for, what it is now, 360 honor? And only if you're winning on offense. I've only NOT gotten into one TB since they fixed the honor reward. Not a big deal to just queue up anymore... though I'm sure it might be on a less balanced server. Either way, glad it's back to the way it used to be!

Also, Alliance took TB from us again, thus proving it's not impossible to win offense. Feels good to be right. :3
It was probably because you were on the defensive team.

J-Rzez

Yeah, he was probably mid-reporting you lol.

Twig said:

We've had it on the lock. I got into a couple finally since then, but now the people that really love pvp are the only one's q'n up... the other's that are not are happy to sit on the bridge and if they'd miss the 180 honor they don't really care.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Can a GM even do anything about that? I mean, you should pay attention to your trade window if you are about to make a deal of that magnitude.

NameGenerated said:
Can a GM even do anything about that? I mean, you should pay attention to your trade window if you are about to make a deal of that magnitude.

IIRC if there is a clear chat log where both parties agree on what the other is supposed to be getting, it can be ticketed. It's similiar to getting someone to craft something for you and having them run off with your mats.

J-Rzez

letsbereasonable said:
IIRC if there is a clear chat log where both parties agree on what the other is supposed to be getting, it can be ticketed. It's similiar to getting someone to craft something for you and having them run off with your mats.

Correct, unfortunately, I had to take this route before. The guy came back (on his 2nd account) and said "ur an asshole, get a life, it's just pixels, u got me banned dick".

Rapstah

The same rules go for raids where someone steals an item against agreed-upon roll rules. I don't think they can actually do something unless a roll was done though.

yanhero

Richiban said:
Hey Guys!

In my opinion, if you want to have fun healing, then play priest. To me, paly healing is pretty boring in comparison, all you do is put beacon of light on the tank, then heal. But with priests, theres a lot more mechanics involved. If you go discipline, then you can mix in smiting the enemy, which will also heal someone for the amount of dmg you dealt. If you go holy, theres a chakra "mode" mechanic, where you switch between direct healing and aoe healing mode.

But if you just want a viable healer, then yeah holy palys are great.

Narag

J-Rzez said:
Correct, unfortunately, I had to take this route before. The guy came back (on his 2nd account) and said "ur an asshole, get a life, it's just pixels, u got me banned dick".

I had some guy do something like this to me. He got even more pissed when I asked him why he was so mad when it was just a game as he had phrased it previously.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So what's the deal with Swamp of sorrows?
Can I go there without really doing much of Burning steppes. I'm level 52, btw.
I've also done [in my rough estimate] maybe 1/3rd of BS.

Burning Steppes seems pretty cool, but after badlands and searing gorge I'm dying for a change of scenery. It's says it's 52 to 54, but I read some wiki entry that said it didn't have many quests.

yanhero said:
In my opinion, if you want to have fun healing, then play priest. To me, paly healing is pretty boring in comparison, all you do is put beacon of light on the tank, then heal. But with priests, theres a lot more mechanics involved. If you go discipline, then you can mix in smiting the enemy, which will also heal someone for the amount of dmg you dealt. If you go holy, theres a chakra "mode" mechanic, where you switch between direct healing and aoe healing mode.

But if you want to watch porn while you play, then play paly.
Way to talk out of your ass. Pally healing in cata has become much more than spamming two spells. You get holy power for healing your beacon with different spells, you use holy shock to stack up on holy power, you have different options with when and what to spend your holy power on. You have to decide if you have time to get more holy power or use a more mana intensive spell. You have not played a pally at 85 and maybe talked to some bad 85 paladins.

yanhero

cuevas said:
Way to talk out of your ass. Pally healing in cata has become much more than spamming two spells. You get holy power for healing your beacon with different spells, you use holy shock to stack up on holy power, you have different options with when and what to spend your holy power on. You have to decide if you have time to get more holy power or use a more mana intensive spell.

Well its just my opinion. Certainly all healing classes have to worry about using less or more mana intensive spells. And yes, holy power is a mechanic unique to pallies, but to me, its not a very interesting mechanic, so you use 3 heal spells, then you use word of glory/light of dawn. I do have experience playing both holy paladins and priests, so I'm not talking out of my ass, I'm just stating my opinion. Have you tried playing priests? Maybe once you have, you might find it's mechanics to be a lot of fun too.

mcrae

J-Rzez said:

awesome! what was the item? how much gold value? and how much translated into what stuff is worth nowadays? did you get your mats back?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i really like pally healing now. Its true the mechanics have been toned down a bit from Cata launch but i think that affects PVE more than PVP. Light of Dawn is garbage now. Its Holy trees 31st talent and i dont even spec it any longer. 18 seconds to crit heal for 6k on a few targets? No thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom