• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twig

Banned
mcrae said:
lol hypocrite
pretty sure the only appropriate response is "u mad" but i bet that's bannable around here i don't know

so i'm at a loss; you win this round, mccrymoar (haha i so clever)

TheYanger

Twig said:
I understand your position, but...

Frankly, my dear, I just don't give a damn. Mounts and pets increase my enjoyment of the game exponentially. Make that shit unattainable to me and it makes the experience worse for me. I don't don't give a fuck about status symbols. I don't care if having a title means I DID IT WHEN IT WAS STILL COOL. I just like having it because it's something fun to have. Period. That is it. There is nothing more to it. I am not jealous of your skills or whatever. I am only jealous of the fact that you have the mount and I don't because Blizzard deemed you worthy and decided I was some undeserving heathen.

I'm not in this game to roleplay. I'm in this game to smash face with my mace and to collect cool vanity items.

And yet you didn't want to put forth the effort to get them. You ARE jealous clearly, if you are just going to come and cry about how you can't get an item. These mounts were not like some random chance lottery to attain - they were rewards for tasks that were open to anyone who wanted to do them. Your argument holds no water against that type of situation. Wanted an amani war bear? should've either done a bear run or paid someone to get you one. Wanted an armored netherdrake? Learn to arena. It's not like people with those mounts just lucked into them.

I know you like to claim they had to poopsock for them but it's simply not true, you just either lack the skill or desire to actually get what you want in the game, and thus would rather spend time complaining about it on internet forums.

I don't like items that you can't get either for means that are completely out of your hands - these things are not them. I'm certainly not exceptional player but I manage to get them all if I want them, you can too.

hamchan

I don't even know if Twig is arguing for anything. He's just voicing his frustration that he'll never be able to get some cool content. The only reply really is "too bad for you I guess", since Blizzard is clearly doing the right thing from a game design standpoint.

Twig

Banned
hamchan said:
I don't even know if Twig is arguing for anything. He's just voicing his frustration that he'll never be able to get some cool content. The only reply really is "too bad for you I guess", since Blizzard is clearly doing the right thing from a game design standpoint.
Thank you for understanding and not being a judgmental twat!

Though I disagree it's the "right thing", as that's purely subjective. I could argue that for hours, but not with the people in this thread. They'd just get pissy and start insulting me again, and though I find it continuously hilarious, I feel bad for the people who just want to read this thread like normal human beings!

TheYanger said:
And yet you didn't want to put forth the effort to get them. You ARE jealous clearly, if you are just going to come and cry about how you can't get an item. These mounts were not like some random chance lottery to attain - they were rewards for tasks that were open to anyone who wanted to do them. Your argument holds no water against that type of situation. Wanted an amani war bear? should've either done a bear run or paid someone to get you one. Wanted an armored netherdrake? Learn to arena. It's not like people with those mounts just lucked into them.

I know you like to claim they had to poopsock for them but it's simply not true, you just either lack the skill or desire to actually get what you want in the game, and thus would rather spend time complaining about it on internet forums.

I don't like items that you can't get either for means that are completely out of your hands - these things are not them. I'm certainly not exceptional player but I manage to get them all if I want them, you can too.
Contrary to your assumption (which everyone continues to make despite me correcting them), it was not for lack of desire to work for the mounts that I don't have them. I would gladly work for them, if they were still in the game. It is because I, quite simply, don't have the time to poopsock enough to get them before they are removed. I am busy with REAL LIFE gasp. I don't begrudge people with more free time than me, but I do begrudge Blizzard for rewarding them and removing those potential rewards from my roster of potential goals.

And, no, I absolutely am not jealous of their skills, and no amount of you trying to shove your accusations down my throat will change that. :3

I'm going to keep using the word "poopsock" because you seem to be taking it so seriously that it's not even a joke anymore. Maybe it will eventually wrap back around.

TheYanger

Twig said:
Contrary to your assumption (which everyone continues to make despite me correcting them), it was not for lack of desire to work for the mounts that I don't have them. I would gladly work for them, if they were still in the game. It is because I, quite simply, don't have the time to poopsock enough to get them before they are removed. I am busy with REAL LIFE gasp. I don't begrudge people with more free time than me, but I do begrudge Blizzard for rewarding them and removing those potential rewards from my roster of potential goals.

And, no, I absolutely am not jealous of their skills, and no amount of you trying to shove your accusations down my throat will change that. :3

I'm going to keep using the word "poopsock" because you seem to be taking it so seriously that it's not even a joke anymore. Maybe it will eventually wrap back around.

Actually, you didn't have a desire to work for them. You didn't have time to run a 40 minute bear run then, but you do now? You didn't have time to do arena for a couple hours a week then, but you do now? Face it. what you're looking for is not less time commitment, but less skill requirement. The amount of time required to get these things is not that large. Do many people who have them play a lot? Sure. People who are good usually like to play a lot. It's fun to them. They don't HAVE to play a lot though.

And I never said you were jealous of the skills of better players, only that you're jealous of the things they've earned. Unfortunately, you don't get one without the other. Wishing that something earned for a particular skillset would persist to when that skillset is no longer relevant is the epitomy of being jealous that others were able to get it when you were not.

Twig

Banned
also this got lost in the shuffle of everyone-attack-twig-'cause-he-talks-funny
Twig said:
BEST PLACE TO FARM JEEVES SOLO GO GO GO WHERE IS IT
I farmed those library guardians for a couple hours over the past few days and did not get it. It was a very sad time. Is that really the best place to get it?

TheYanger said:
Actually, you didn't have a desire to work for them. You didn't have time to run a 40 minute bear run then, but you do now? You didn't have time to do arena for a couple hours a week then, but you do now? Face it. what you're looking for is not less time commitment, but less skill requirement. The amount of time required to get these things is not that large. Do many people who have them play a lot? Sure. People who are good usually like to play a lot. It's fun to them. They don't HAVE to play a lot though.
I did not have the time to farm the money to pay for the run and I did not have the time to get geared to be able to make the run myself. Arena requires real commitment if you want to me good. A couple hours a week is not enough to be GOOD, and your assertion is laughable at best.

And I never said you were jealous of the skills of better players, only that you're jealous of the things they've earned. Unfortunately, you don't get one without the other. Wishing that something earned for a particular skillset would persist to when that skillset is no longer relevant is the epitomy of being jealous that others were able to get it when you were not.

But... I already admitted I am jealous of the things they earned. That was in the very first post I made on the subject! That is the whole point of my position! I want those neat things and I will never and CAN never have them! Furthermore...

"And, no, I absolutely am not jealous of their skills, and no amount of you trying to shove your accusations down my throat will change that. :3"

Seriously, I promise you, I absolutely am not jealous of their skills. Even remotely. Not even the tiniest iota of jealousy I have is directed toward their skills. If they're better than me, then they're better than me. Shine on, you magnificent stallions! Shine on. I don't give a fuck.

mcrae

Twig said:
Thank you for understanding and not being a judgmental twat!

Though I disagree it's the "right thing", as that's purely subjective. I could argue that for hours, but not with the people in this thread. They'd just get pissy and start insulting me again, and though I find it continuously hilarious, I feel bad for the people who just want to read this thread like normal human beings!

dude, other people have more free time than you, if blizzard lowered end-game content & rewards to the lowest common denominator so that everyone was able to get everything, with not much time invested, how would that make for a good game?

Twig

Banned
mcrae said:
dude, other people have more free time than you, if blizzard lowered end-game content & rewards to the lowest common denominator so that everyone was able to get everything, with not much time invested, how would that make for a good game?
How

How

How do you still not get it?

mcrae

Twig said:
How

How

How do you still not get it?

you said you were willing to have a conversation about it as long as people dont get pissy about it and start insulting you, and im not, so no need to do it yourself.

i am genuinely curious how you expect blizzard to put out a good product if everything in-game was attainable by people who have as few hours per week to play as you do (be it 10, 15, 20, whatever). it seems to me that everyone would get bored and quit really fast with nothing to work towards.

Twig

Banned
mcrae said:
you said you were willing to have a conversation about it as long as people dont get pissy about it and start insulting you, and im not, so no need to do it yourself.

i am genuinely curious how you expect blizzard to put out a good product if everything in-game was attainable by people who have as few hours per week to play as you do (be it 10, 15, 20, whatever). it seems to me that everyone would get bored and quit really fast with nothing to work towards.
I didn't get pissy or insult you. Merely annoyed. Because I never said, even once, that I wanted these things to be easily attainable and you people keep trying to accuse me of saying this. I DON'T CARE if they're easy to get. If they are, that's cool, too, because it increases the fun value for me, exponentially, but I'm not too huffed if they take some time.

My one - ONE AND ONLY - issue is with content (that I want) being REMOVED from the game. As hamchan observed, this isn't even really an argument. It is just frustration that I will never have these cool items that I covet so much. These cool items that account for a significant portion of my enjoyment with the game.

I am completely and utterly resolved to the fact that I will never have everything I want in the game, but when something I want above all else (for example, I really, REALLY love the way the armored netherdrake looks, perhaps above all other dragons) is taken out of the game so that I will never, ever, ever, ever have even the slightest chance of getting it myself... Yes, it is fucking frustrating.

Unlike most of the people in this thread, I am not in this game to take down Arthas or Deathwing. I enjoy that aspect of the game, but it is not the primary reason I play.

My reason for playing comes in a pair, which I already stated once: PvP, and cool shit. Take away that cool shit, and it makes me sad. It still leaves the PvP, which, if taken out of the game, would make me QUIT, but the sadness remains nonetheless.

Okay?

Do you understand now? I don't care if the items are hard or easy to get. I only care whether or not they are POSSIBLE for me to get some day in the future.

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE: This is the last I'll say on the subject, unless someone provides a particularly insightful response. I have now reiterated my opinion MORE than enough times that if someone still doesn't get it, then they are a lost cause and not worth the trouble. My next post will be asking about farming for Jeeves again because everyone keeps ignoring my question. ;_;

Twig

Banned
Okay, I lied.

this post isn't about jeeves

Anyone here played Age of Conan? I know, I know HORRIBLE LAUNCH TERRIBLE GAME etc. But specifically, did anyone play the bear shaman class? That class is the reason I loved that game. (Well, and the significantly more open PvP.) I'd love a class similar to that in WoW, where you have to do damage (melee, specifically) in order to heal. Kind of like a warrior's rage bar, except you use rage to cast healing spells.

I don't think it'd work, though, with the way the game is currently balanced, in PvE, specifically. ):

Actually... is paladin at all like that? I know it uses mana, but does attacking as a paladin give boosts to healing in some fashion? Never played one past level 10, heh.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Paladins spam skills to build up holy power which they can use on Word of Glory, a pretty hefty self heal.

Enhancement Shamans have a talent that gives them a chance to get reduced cast times on nukes and heals, 20% per stack, stacks up to 5 times.

Twig

Banned
Halycon said:
Paladins spam skills to build up holy power which they can use on Word of Glory, a pretty hefty self heal.

Enhancement Shamans have a talent that gives them a chance to get reduced cast times on nukes and heals, 20% per stack, stacks up to 5 times.
Hmm, those are the two classes I never had an interest in trying. (Although more recently, I've been considering a gobbo enh shammy 'cause those totems rock.)

It's a shame you can't main heal (or at least off-heal in raids) while doing that, though. That's what I'd really like.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Twig said:
Hmm, those are the two classes I never had an interest in trying. (Although more recently, I've been considering a gobbo enh shammy 'cause those totems rock.)

It's a shame you can't main heal (or at least off-heal in raids) while doing that, though. That's what I'd really like.
Disc priest does damage when people aren't getting healed for mana back plus a healing buff.

lordmrw

SnakeswithLasers said:
You guys will truly argue about anything :lol

After running some instances with Arms I have a new respect for melee DPS. My god. You guys go through some shit and a good performance isn't even auto-win on the meters.

I'm really loving leveling all these classes--so much added perspective!

A good portion of the fights this expansion are really just melee unfriendly. Almost everybody boss has some don't stand in the fire mechanic or a massive AOE that you absolutely have to run away from. Not that its bad, but fuck me I do think they went overboard with it.

Twig

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
Disc priest does damage when people aren't getting healed for mana back plus a healing buff.
Really!

I was considering leveling a priest next so that's a cool coincidence. Still, no substitute for smashing face with my mace! D:

Dance In My Blood said:

Yeah I do the same on my Paladin with casting Judgement. Haste buff and it gives some mana back. It is not super often damage, but I am using an offensive ability to help my healing.

webrunner

can you manually fly out to Vash'jir? I tried from undercity but ended up having to spirit res (in .. .durotar for some reason)

Also, you engineers, if you go to Vash'jir make sure you take your MOLLE. One of the 'towns' mailboxes simply doesn't work (it shows up on tracking and it's physically there, but noninteractable)

Twig said:

You totally can off-heal, at least in heroics.

I played enhancement shaman for a while and often times found myself subbing for the healer(in early heroics). Maelstorm weapon gives you instant cast healing rain(aoe healing spell for around 1k per tick) which is really helpful on fights with endurance elements. Enhancement shamans also regen mana with every melee hit and have spell costs.

As far as raids go, i'm not sure if it would be worth it, shaman dps is already pretty low and the heals arent all that beefy.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
webrunner said:
can you manually fly out to Vash'jir? I tried from undercity but ended up having to spirit res (in .. .durotar for some reason)
Yeah, just from the east and look for the island. You'll have to cross some fatigue area but it isn't a big deal.

webrunner

Dance In My Blood said:
Yeah, just from the east and look for the island. You'll have to cross some fatigue area but it isn't a big deal.

I tried that, but i never got far enough.

Also Tol Barad seemed to simply not be there. I tried altering my flight path to save me to get up there.. but there was nothing.

Bah.

Flib

webrunner said:

Also Tol Barad seemed to simply not be there. I tried altering my flight path to save me to get up there.. but there was nothing.

Bah.

You need to look at the map and see the point of land that's closest to Vash'ir and fly from there.

Hixx

I'm still miffed that there's no 333 strength dps helms apart from a green BS crafted helm which is rubbish. No JC crafted necks or rings either, which is ridiculous when there are TWO agility variations for each piece.

Twig

Banned
HixxSAFC said:
I'm still miffed that there's no 333 strength dps helms apart from a green BS crafted helm which is rubbish. No JC crafted necks or rings either, which is ridiculous when there are TWO agility variations for each piece.
Really? Hm. Guess I moved right past it on my warrior. D:

I now have the PvP helm for.. PvP, and the epic engy helm for tanking. Woop woop.

mcrae

webrunner said:

Bah.

yeah, i tried to fly to the lower tol barad, the instanced bg area, and it didnt exist when flying up from vash.

however you can totaly fly to vash from the eastern kingdoms. not sure if it requires 310% or not.

Rapstah

mcrae said:
yeah, i tried to fly to the lower tol barad, the instanced bg area, and it didnt exist when flying up from vash.

however you can totaly fly to vash from the eastern kingdoms. not sure if it requires 310% or not.
Absolutely not. I flew there from Gilneas, which is the long way, with 280%.

pix

webrunner said:

Also, you engineers, if you go to Vash'jir make sure you take your MOLLE. One of the 'towns' mailboxes simply doesn't work (it shows up on tracking and it's physically there, but noninteractable)

Can I ask why you would manually fly to Vash'jir? I can see if you were 78 and wanted to go there early, but I doubt you can get any quests until 80.

Also if that's not the reason, use the portal in Org.

webrunner

Kinda sucks you have to go through so many hoops to fly there. Oh well, I'm a mage and that's what portal/hearth duality is for!

Anyway, the whole "green is the new purple" thing is not kidding. Wrath, I had a few entry purples but mostly blue, but didn't replace stuff until near the second zone. Here, I'm replacing tier 8/9 with green quest rewards, that are strictly better than my stuff even including enchantments, gems, tinkers, and the fact the new one has spirit. It's crazy going from 100-something int to 200-something int on a single peice of gear.

Edit: Where's the org portal to vash'jir? The only one I know of is the currently open portla to the maelstrom which it sent me back to see once i dinged 83.

notworksafe

webrunner said:
Edit: Where's the org portal to vash'jir? The only one I know of is the currently open portla to the maelstrom which it sent me back to see once i dinged 83.
Near the flight master dude above Org. There's a portal to every new Cata zone in a ring and a portal to Tol Barad off to the side..

webrunner said:
I know the flight point, but if you have 310% flying it's faster to manually fly in almost all situations.
True, but I usually AFK or play DS/PSP games on flightpaths so I take them quite often.

webrunner said:
Kinda sucks you have to go through so many hoops to fly there. Oh well, I'm a mage and that's what portal/hearth duality is for!

Anyway, the whole "green is the new purple" thing is not kidding. Wrath, I had a few entry purples but mostly blue, but didn't replace stuff until near the second zone. Here, I'm replacing tier 8/9 with green quest rewards, that are strictly better than my stuff even including enchantments, gems, tinkers, and the fact the new one has spirit. It's crazy going from 100-something int to 200-something int on a single peice of gear.

Did you do the entry quests to Vash from Org? (Ride the boat, see the kraken, blah blah blah?) That should open the org portal at the Valley of Wisdom where Farseer Krogar is.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
So I'm new to playing on MMO PVP servers and I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same kind of experience as me? Still at lvl47 (xmas break) with my warrior and I've been playing through contested areas in the Eastern Kingdoms. My goal is to level up by doing the important quest lines in each zone until I get the exploration and questing achievements, then I move on. In all of the time spent in the Plaguelands, Badlands, Burning Steppes I've only been killed in pvp twice - one shotted by lvl80 characters. Every other encounter has been really interesting. One example was at the dig site in the Badlands: me and an even level dwarf meet in the ruins and each of us want to do the puzzles. We end up running away from each other lots and eventually just boogied and left each other alone. Haven't even met any hardcore player killers yet, should I only be expecting this at max level?

Thnikkaman said:
So I'm new to playing on MMO PVP servers and I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same kind of experience as me? Still at lvl47 (xmas break) with my warrior and I've been playing through contested areas in the Eastern Kingdoms. My goal is to level up by doing the important quest lines in each zone until I get the exploration and questing achievements, then I move on. In all of the time spent in the Plaguelands, Badlands, Burning Steppes I've only been killed in pvp twice - one shotted by lvl80 characters. Every other encounter has been really interesting. One example was at the dig site in the Badlands: me and an even level dwarf meet in the ruins and each of us want to do the puzzles. We end up running away from each other lots and eventually just boogied and left each other alone. Haven't even met any hardcore player killers yet, should I only be expecting this at max level?
That's normal. Most of the serious ganking goes on in player hubs where they're guaranteed a steady flow of lowbies. Also, the high level content is still relatively new, and ganking picks up as people get bored of real things to do.

Dunlop

I've been getting hit with brutal latency for the last week when I try to run dungeons and raids. Going on the tech forums show that there are hundreds if not thousands of people with the same issue with no response from Blizzard.

Right as I finally start to raid ; (

avomrn.jpg

ajtkj6.jpg

We sold the mounts for 10k so someone who doesn't care about the game could easily buy gold for 10$ and got one.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
notworksafe said:
True, but I usually AFK or play DS/PSP games on flightpaths so I take them quite often.

Just set a straight path and toggle auto run. Provided you're paying even the littlest bit of attention, you'll stop before you pass your destination.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I disconnect a bunch whenever I'm on a FP or auto-run flying when I alt-tab. It's so annoying. Also if I Astral Recall/Hearth and alt-tab before I finish the cast and load into Org.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Game disconnects you if it thinks you're AFK. Or maybe it's just a problem with alt-tabbing.

A solution is to run in fullscreen windowed. As long as you're doing something at your computer you'll stay logged in.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
NameGenerated said:
I disconnect a bunch whenever I'm on a FP or auto-run flying when I alt-tab. It's so annoying. Also if I Astral Recall/Hearth and alt-tab before I finish the cast and load into Org.

Might be an issue with alt tabbing. I set auto-run everywhere now.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
NameGenerated said:
pretty sure this is intentional on blizzard's part... not sure about auto-run flying, but you absolutely will drop connection if the game has to load (hearth/AR) and you are alt-tab'ed out.

better solution to alt-tab fullscreen is windowed fullscreen. Considering with LCDs most people these days run WoW at desktop/native resolution anyway, it's just better IMHO to run the game at windowed fullscreen. Not sure if you can do this in an SLI setup and still do SLI, but that doesn't matter much anyway as WoW's DX11 mode doesn't support SLI anyway.

pretty sure the game doesn't drop you in windowed fullscreen if you are tabbed out in another app.

edit - damn it.. beaten. :p

thetrin said:
Might be an issue with alt tabbing. I set auto-run everywhere now.
yeah, I've never heard of disconnects with auto-run. but yes, you absolutely will DC if you are alt-tabbed out and hit a loading screen. Learned this the hard way as a mage. "Oooh.. teleport to UC real quick" Alt-tab out, come back in: Login screen. hmm.. "Gotta teleport to Org to check auctions" Alt-tab out, come back in: Login screen... "ok, wtf???"

Twig

Banned
cuevas said:
We sold the mounts for 10k so someone who doesn't care about the game could easily buy gold for 10$ and got one.
Man, you are probably the biggest dick in this thread. Does it turn you on? How hard are you, right now? Pics, please, 'cause I won't believe you without 'em.

Dresden

Quit the game a few hours ago. I just realized that I don't give a fuck about hitting Gladiator, along with being bored by WoW pvp, and that's like the only thing I enjoyed in the game anymore. :lol

Good luck everyone.

Sai-kun

Banned
Twig said:
Do you understand now? I don't care if the items are hard or easy to get. I only care whether or not they are POSSIBLE for me to get some day in the future.

Titles like Hand of A'dal and the Amani War Bear Mount were removed because Blizzard thought that the people who earned it during that time should have it exclusively, and that they were very special things. Their design for that kinda thing has obviously changed a bit, considering the Ulduar and Icecrown Drakes + Titles are still available, but you can tell they were still trying to shut people out because they got rid of the Naxx achievement drakes.

I'm not really sure what my point is here, except that Blizzard makes weird decisions sometimes, and you just gotta go for what you can every chance you get before it gets removed.

webrunner

The trick is that there are items/titles which ARE exclusive and ones that aren't.

To say that titles should be for people who earn them is being selfish and egotistic. To say that titles should NOT be for people who earn them is being selfish and entitled.

The game has stuff for both of you. You shouldn't complain that the game has stuff for other people.

Some people want to have things that people can look at and know you did things. Other people want to have a crazy mount because it's fun. Who are any of you to say the other person is wrong?

If you want a bear mount there are other bears. If you want a title there are fun ones to get. But you don't get to wear a badge saying I BEAT SO AND SO WHEN IT WAS HARD unless you do that.

Maybe if they had a mode that limited to a max item level equipped, that still gave you the titles, it would be better?

Twig said:
Man, you are probably the biggest dick in this thread. Does it turn you on? How hard are you, right now? Pics, please, 'cause I won't believe you without 'em.

Am I a dick because I sold mounts or because I have completely different motivations for playing this game? I like challenges and completing them makes me happy. This expansion I will try to get gladiator since I have already been successful in pve and don't have the time to devote to it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom