• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
yanhero said:
Well its just my opinion. Certainly all healing classes have to worry about using less or more mana intensive spells. And yes, holy power is a mechanic unique to pallies, but to me, its not a very interesting mechanic, so you use 3 heal spells, then you use word of glory/light of dawn. I do have experience playing both holy paladins and priests, so I'm not talking out of my ass, I'm just stating my opinion. Have you tried playing priests? Maybe once you have, you might find it's mechanics to be a lot of fun too.

I know priests are fun and never said otherwise. The part in bold clearly shows to anyone who has healed at 85 that you have not, or if you have have done so very poorly because if you only use those 5 spells you will fail. Stop trying to sum up a whole class in one sentence.

yanhero

cuevas said:
I know priests are fun and never said otherwise. The part in bold clearly shows to anyone who has healed at 85 that you have not, or if you have have done so very poorly because if you only use those 5 spells you will fail. Stop trying to sum up a whole class in one sentence.

Well the whole point of my original post was to give my opinion on whether to play paly or priest. Obviously, no class can be summed up in one sentence, but for the sake of giving a short and concise opinion instead of writing a wall, thats what I did. I don't think theres anything wrong with that. Ofcource, pallies are known for having many long cooldowns that will complicate their mechanics. I'm not saying pallies don't have more than 5 spells. I'm simply saying in my view, the priests is a lot more fun to play. I'm not sure why you are arguing with me :lol You can just explain your opinion on why pallies are more fun to play than priests. No need to attack me.

yanhero said:
Well the whole point of my original post was to give my opinion on whether to play paly or priest. Obviously, no class can be summed up in one sentence, but for the sake of giving a short and concise opinion instead of writing a wall, thats what I did. I don't think theres anything wrong with that. Ofcource, pallies are known for having many long cooldowns that will complicate their mechanics. I'm not saying pallies don't have more than 5 spells. I'm simply saying in my view, the priests is a lot more fun to play. I'm not sure why you are arguing with me :lol You can just explain your opinion on why pallies are more fun to play than priests. No need to attack me.

But you opinion is outdated, HAVE you played a holy pally at 85? You said you have played one. Maybe some non combat rezzers from the MC days will say pallys are boring as fuck too.

yanhero

cuevas said:
But you opinion is outdated, HAVE you played a holy pally at 85? You said you have played one. Maybe some non combat rezzers from the MC days will say pallys are boring as fuck too.

No I have not played a holy pally at 85, but I don't think pallies are boring as fuck. I just think priests are more fun than paly. It seems you find that statement to be a personal offence. It's not meant to be, relax.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
yanhero said:
No I have not played a holy pally at 85, but I don't think pallies are boring as fuck. I just think priests are more fun than paly. It seems you find that statement to be a personal offence. It's not meant to be, relax.
Its changed a lot. Pally healing is like old style resto druid healing in PVP.

edit: nots the HoTs of course but the whole run-and-gun style of healing.

yanhero

water_wendi said:
Its changed a lot. Pally healing is like old style resto druid healing in PVP.

edit: nots the HoTs of course but the whole run-and-gun style of healing.

But have you tried playing the new priest? Cause it's REALLY fun lol. It's my new favorite class to play now. I just want you guys to have as much fun as I am. :D

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
yanhero said:
But have you tried playing the new priest? Cause it's REALLY fun lol. It's my new favorite class to play now.
No i havent. Its like the last character slot i have to decide on. Well, 2nd to last once i delete my Worgen (already have one high level alliance on that server.. dont need two).

ive only played a little (like 5-6 levels) and the thing thats really struck me was how much greater the impact of BoAs were for melee :lol

yanhero said:

My problem isn't that you think Priests are fun. My problem is that you told him that you thought priests were more fun even though you have not played a paladin at 85.

yanhero

cuevas said:
My problem isn't that you think Priests are fun. My problem is that you told him that you thought priests were more fun even though you have not played a paladin at 85.

So how much fun I had while leveling doesn't count? I'm only allowed to give my opinion when I've gotten to level 85 and experienced all of the content?

yanhero said:
So how much fun I had while leveling doesn't count? I'm only allowed to give my opinion when I've gotten to level 85 and experienced all of the content?

You said you had not played a holy paladin at level 85; he is level 85 and asking how healing is for a paladin in his situation. And for ME it is a fucking blast in arena and pve content.

J-Rzez

mcrae said:
awesome! what was the item? how much gold value? and how much translated into what stuff is worth nowadays? did you get your mats back?

It was the thrown weapon from junkboxes in BC iirc, spine sever or whatever it was called (the Wrath one was similarly named, or that's it, i forget now lol), was 600g, I got the thrown weapon, he got my gold and a two-week ban with a first and final warning. He was pissed, but it was his own fault. The irony was that "it's just pixels" and yet he harassed me until I said if he says one more thing I'm going to report him again. :lol

yanhero

cuevas said:
You said you had not played a holy paladin at level 85; he is level 85 and asking how healing is for a paladin in his situation. And for ME it is a fucking blast in arena and pve content.

And that's great, I'm glad you are having fun. And for ME, even though I found pallies to be enjoyable, I found priests to be even more fun. And from what I've experienced so far, I believe that for ME, priests will continue to be more fun that pallies even at 85.

That guy asked for people's opinions, and I gave him mine because I want him to have as much fun as I am. You may have a different opinion, and you are free to state your case, my problem with you is that you seem to be angry at me for having a different opinion that yours.

Lets just drop this, nobody here needs to read about our bickering.

yanhero said:
And that's great, I'm glad you are having fun. And for ME, even though I found pallies to be enjoyable, I found priests to be even more fun. And from what I've experienced so far, I believe that for ME, priests will continue to be more fun that pallies even at 85.

That guy asked for people's opinions, and I gave him mine because I want him to have as much fun as I am. You may have a different opinion, and you are free to state your case, my problem with you is that you seem to be angry at me for having a different opinion that yours.

Lets just drop this, nobody here needs to read about our bickering.
There you go again, saying it is more fun. You can't say that if you haven't played both at 85. I don't know why you don't get this... you can say that you enjoy priests.

yanhero

cuevas said:
There you go again, saying it is more fun. You can't say that if you haven't played both at 85. I don't know why you don't get this... you can say that you enjoy priests.

I honestly don't get it, sorry. In my opinion, I think it is perfectly resonable to have an opinion on which class is more fun than the other for ME after having played both to level 70.

I don't see why I'm only allowed to state my opinion when I'm level 85. Certainly, my opinion may change when I have an 85 paly. But right now, that is the way I feel. Why am I not allowed to state my current opinion?

cuevas said:
Way to talk out of your ass. Pally healing in cata has become much more than spamming two spells. You get holy power for healing your beacon with different spells, you use holy shock to stack up on holy power, you have different options with when and what to spend your holy power on. You have to decide if you have time to get more holy power or use a more mana intensive spell. You have not played a pally at 85 and maybe talked to some bad 85 paladins.
Jesus man, you're constantly jumping down people's throats in here.

We need a new thread for non-asshole conversation.

Someone goes out of their way to express an OPINION and you jump in like the clown prince of pricks.

Guild is having some trouble with Maloriak. Just so much shit that can go wrong. Missed interrupts cause problems. Literally, a tank will miss, and the Rogue or Warrior may be a tad too late as the cast is very fast. Trying to heal the OT tanking the adds through three groups at once is extremely difficult. Bad luck with Flash Freezes and Consumed Flames on the wrong people at the wrong time. Any tips?

TheYanger

ToyMachine228 said:
Guild is having some trouble with Maloriak. Just so much shit that can go wrong. Missed interrupts cause problems. Literally, a tank will miss, and the Rogue or Warrior may be a tad too late as the cast is very fast. Trying to heal the OT tanking the adds through three groups at once is extremely difficult. Bad luck with Flash Freezes and Consumed Flames on the wrong people at the wrong time. Any tips?

Why put the tank on the interrupt if he's not hit capped. that's asking for trouble.

J-Rzez

DeathNote said:
Anyone have a problem with the razer naga cursor jumping around a bit?

Naw, no issues here man. Check around the laser (i get fuzz/dirt there and it jitters at times) or your mousepad. If neither, then it maybe your mouse :(

C.Dark.DN

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Naw, no issues here man. Check around the laser (i get fuzz/dirt there and it jitters at times) or your mousepad. If neither, then it maybe your mouse :(
Just got it. I read it can be the mouse pad if it isn't completely flat or something.

Mine isn't but it's acting like my Logitech that went bad.

What's a good DPI setting?

Varvor

Currently my main is a dual spec Prot/Holy paladin with greater emphasis to both gear and play time dedicated to Protection. With that being said I will not comment on how boring paladins are when it comes to healing because it depends on my mood and group I am rolling with. But I'll point out that number of people are for RUDE AWAKENING when it comes to healing once they hit 85! Mark my words, and this is coming from some one who rolled as resto raid shaman during BC and Wotlk days.

Personally I'll wait for better gear for my pally before I'll make healing a full time job. With judgement buff of 9% cast haste I am sitting at 2.09 cast time for Holy Light and that's a painful process for 9k heal! Need more haste need more SP!

That's my experience so far.

Flib

While i've been tanking on my druid (now ilvl 150), I've been grabbing pieces for my resto set. Finally decided to heal a guild run tonight.

Got lost city, only had one wipe because the tank was new and totally fucked up the Barim fight. Even so, have to say, dear lord, MUCH MUCH respect to healers. While it's doable, that was some stressful shit. I mean, I love healers anyway, but wow. I felt like I was barely keeping afloat much of the time, but I'm also used to wrath healing.

Jtwo said:
So what's the deal with Swamp of sorrows?

It's awesome. Tiny zone, packed to the brim with herb spawns. It's listed as 52-54 because there's maybe only 30-35 quests, but they're all very efficient and generally entertaining. If you start in Bogpaddle you get to do (IMO) one of the most hilarious goblin quests, and then a little later there's a cool phasing-heavy quest chain referencing the early Warcraft games. I highly recommend popping over there and spending a couple levels.

Einbroch

Banned
Varvor said:
Currently my main is a dual spec Prot/Holy paladin with greater emphasis to both gear and play time dedicated to Protection. With that being said I will not comment on how boring paladins are when it comes to healing because it depends on my mood and group I am rolling with. But I'll point out that number of people are for RUDE AWAKENING when it comes to healing once they hit 85! Mark my words, and this is coming from some one who rolled as resto raid shaman during BC and Wotlk days.

Personally I'll wait for better gear for my pally before I'll make healing a full time job. With judgement buff of 9% cast haste I am sitting at 2.09 cast time for Holy Light and that's a painful process for 9k heal! Need more haste need more SP!

My Heal (Holy Priest) heals for 8k and has a 2.32 second cast time. :(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
wow, glad to finally be out of the Eastern Plaguelands. There was some cool stuff in there, but so many repeated areas over such a big zone, yickes.

I've flown over the Badlands now. I'm lvl 44. Any special tips or directions for someone my level? I've basically been following the quest chains from the Undead starting zone through to where I am now, but I feel like there's probably some more choice coming up soon in where I head?

Rez said:
I've flown over the Badlands now. I'm lvl 44. Any special tips or directions for someone my level? I've basically been following the quest chains from the Undead starting zone through to where I am now, but I feel like there's probably some more choice coming up soon in where I head?

You basically have three zone choices right now: Badlands (which I haven't done the new version of, but is apparently pretty cool) which'll lead directly into Searing Gorge -- or on the other continent, Felwood in the far north (which I personally always kind of disliked) and Tanaris in the far south which I really like: cool white-sand desert flats, wacky goblin quests, and cool Titan lore. You'll have another three zones to pick from again from 50-55 and 55-60, though in each case you can just follow the geographic path from where you are and it'll feed you right into the next set of zones.

The Warchief's Command board (or the Alliance equivalent whose name I don't know) will always give you quests to go talk to a guy in each level-appropriate zone if you want to look at all your options, or here's the whole list of zones by level.

etiolate

Banned
So uh this priest just did 4294964427 healing in a 13 minute AV.

Which is you know literally 4 billion more than the next healer.

explain?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
hamchan said:

This is the same map I use. Great help.

SnakeswithLasers said:

Someone goes out of their way to express an OPINION and you jump in like the clown prince of pricks.

It's a pretty accurate preview of what the actual WoW forums are like.

SnakeswithLasers said:

He is mis-informing the guy asking the question. I tried to clear it up a little.

Naeblish

So i reached 60 yesterday and went to outland. Holy shit am i glad i could buy a flying mount (ended up with 650 gold pure from questing). Quests are so spread out over a big area, i can't believe i ever did this without a flying mount. I'm kinda disappointed with my rogue in dungeons though, playing as combat the rotations are really boring. One-shotting mobs as Sub spec while lvling never gets old though.

yanhero

cuevas said:
He is mis-informing the guy asking the question. I tried to clear it up a little.

:lol How can stating my class preference be misinforming anyone? If he asks me whether I like apples or oranges, and I tell him I like apples more, that means I'm misinforming him too?

If I had said that I found pallies were more fun than priests, would you have argued with me? Ask yourself this question, and be honest with yourself.

yanhero said:
:lol How can stating my class preference be misinforming anyone? If he asks me whether I like apples or oranges, and I tell him I like apples more, that means I'm misinforming him too?

If I had said that I found pallies were more fun than priests, would you have argued with me? Ask yourself this question, and be honest with yourself.

If you would have argued that pallies are more fun than priests I would have said you were uninformed still because you have not played an 85 paladin healer. I am fine with you loving priests and thinking they are fun because they are! I have problem with you saying you like healing on your priest over healing on a paladin because you have not healed at 85 on a pally which is what he is asking about. How do you not get this?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Jesus Christ, you guys are children. :lol

Naeblish

Right? No offense, but there is nothing more boring on a forum than two posters repeatedly posting trying to prove their point/get equal.

etiolate

Banned
I understand cuevas. I understand his point.

i am not sure yanhero does

The Internet walks into a bar and tries to have a conversation
The Guy A says: I have an opinion!
the Guy B says: Judging by what you've said it seems your opinion is uninformed and could be misleading to those listening
Guy A is like: Haters gonna hate
Guy B is like: What

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, The Badlands was a much needed change of pace. I highly recommend it for solo mid-40s leveling. You're constantly doing varied missions, and the traditional missions all come with three guardians with pet like functions.

Make sure you stop by the end of the giant scar in the middle for some cool quests involving three guys telling the tale of when Deathwing showed up, Theoretical-NeoGAF-Poster-Who-Is-A-Casual-WOW-Player-And-Is-Still-Following-This-Thread-And-Is-Tossing-Up-Whether-To-Play-The-Badlands.

yanhero

etiolate said:
I understand cuevas. I understand his point.

i am not sure yanhero does

The Internet walks into a bar and tries to have a conversation
The Guy A says: I have an opinion!
the Guy B says: Judging by what you've said it seems your opinion is uninformed and could be misleading to those listening
Guy A is like: Haters gonna hate
Guy B is like: What

Uhh, what? I think I explained myself coherently, I certainly did not just dismiss cuevas' points with a blanket statement.

And again, how can i possibly mislead anyone? I just stated my preference. Again, if I say I like apples more than oranges, how is that misleading to anyone?

Just cause I don't have an 85 paly does not mean I can't have an opinion. If I have only watched the first 2 seasons of a 3 season show, am I not allowed to give an opinion on those first 2 seasons?

yanhero said:
Uhh, what? I think I explained myself coherently, I certainly did not just dismiss cuevas' points with a blanket statement.

And again, how can i possibly mislead anyone? I just stated my preference. Again, if I say I like apples more than oranges, how is that misleading to anyone?

Just cause I don't have an 85 paly does not mean I can't have an opinion. If I have only watched the first 2 seasons of a 3 season show, am I not allowed to give an opinion on those first 2 seasons?
This is where you went wrong: "To me, paly healing is pretty boring in comparison, all you do is put beacon of light on the tank, then heal. But with priests, theres a lot more mechanics involved. "

You haven't leveled your paladin to 85, which makes your above statement somewhat ignorant. I think there is more to pally healing than just beacon of light these days. Someone else can correct me if i'm wrong. No one is arguing with your opinion that you enjoy playing priests more, just the way you said it.

webrunner

yanhero said:

I think it's more like, you're saying you like apples more than oranges before trying mandarins.

Varvor said:

Using Holy Light is your problem since I rarely use that spell at all except if someone needs slightly topped off and Holy Shock is on cooldown. Divine Light is my main heal with using Holy Shock to build up Holy Power whenever it is up. Paladin healing is a lot of fun these days and I have been raid healing since release (Paladin healing since TBC release). I have to say the class is the best it has ever been as far as having an enjoyable experience. There are a lot of factors and decisions to juggle these days.

Should I use Holy Power for my AoE heal or single target heal based on how many targets I will hit and do I need to adjust my position first. Is the tank starting to take way too much damage and I need to drop down to using Flash of Light, but blow my mana. Can I use Divine Plea now or will it hurt us too much so maybe I should throw some cooldowns in with it? Do I use Holy Radiance to get everyone up into a safe zone or do I have time to ignore the tank and top everyone off individually? Add in sneaking in Judgements whenever I can for the haste buff and mana return along with using Holy Radiance as an "oh shit!" button where I need to get across the room fast and heal everyone along the way and I am having a ton of fun. I spend a lot of time on the move with my Paladin these days and this is great since standing still except for when a void zone drops on your gets boring.

As far as other healing classes go I have no experience on them, but from what I am hearing in the guild:

Shaman: We have no active healing Shaman.

Druid: No complaints and seems really solid.

Priest: Our priest keeps going back and forth on whether she likes where the class is. Hearing about all the abilities Paladins have gets her depressed, but she is enjoying herself more since she switched from Disc to Holy. Not sure how much she will be healing though since she is gearing up a Warlock due to our lack of ranged DPS (we have zero raiding Warlocks).

Also as a healer I can say that for at least my class the regen complaints from near release are gone. I am happy with where my mana regen is and pretty much never go OOM unless we lose a lot of DPS and even then I can start pulling tricks out of my sleeve to scratch by for a while. I am actually at the point where I am looking at slowing down on gaining Spirit/Crit and focusing on Haste a bit since I have the mana to spare so I might as well get the heals out there. My iLevel is 352 however with almost half epics so that puts in perspective where I am. Once we get to harder fights I may be hurting again, but DPS is what is holding us back right now.

Edit: Forgot to mention once last fun new dynamic is moving Beacon around since it costs zero mana. If we are in a phase where the tank is not taking much damage I can move beacon around to heal multiple people faster and cheaper. Also it is awesome when the tank is fine, but we have two low DPS to toss beacon on one and Lay on Hands on the other to get two characters to full with me getting some mana back. Just another one of those choices to make.

TheYanger said:
Why put the tank on the interrupt if he's not hit capped. that's asking for trouble.

He's not anymore. On our first few attempts he was until that screwed us over a few times. I was just listing the plethora of problems that have affected us.

forgrim

Evil Benius said:
Edit: Forgot to mention once last fun new dynamic is moving Beacon around since it costs zero mana. If we are in a phase where the tank is not taking much damage I can move beacon around to heal multiple people faster and cheaper. Also it is awesome when the tank is fine, but we have two low DPS to toss beacon on one and Lay on Hands on the other to get two characters to full with me getting some mana back. Just another one of those choices to make.

This. Good pally healers, that I shall now classify Evil Benius as, glyphs beacon and uses it in this smart fashion. Without glyphed beacon, it does cost mana, which should be mentioned. Our healing style is slightly different though, i use divine lights generally when i've got my guardian up to get back on top (which, considering it consumes 5 heals, using your strongest heal is best), and use holy lights as my main heal. I also reforge into spirit so that i can chain holy lights without my mana dying.

I've gotta agree with Cuevas though, the opinion of yan is semi skewed since he didn't play a pally at level 85. Its just like me saying Pally heal is so much funner than priest healing, and i've only played a priest to level 60. Pallys have 3 main heals + the HP heals, but you forget to mention that we have Hands that we also rotate (sacrifice on tank during massive damage, salvation so that dps can major burst if necessary, protection to save aggro'd rogues, mages, etc.) I should also mention some pally healers who think running in and Crusader Striking for HP is a good idea (personally, stupid as hell idea in serious circumstances cuz it will get you killed by aoe's being dropped on melee).

We all have fun.

Dunlop

Got magmaw to 5% on our first night with him, I was tank healing as a Holy priest to which I would rather gougue my eyes out.

Chakra--> heal is fucking useless when there is massive spike damage the cast time is just way to long,

I ended up healing like my older method (flash heal-->flash heal-->serendipity proc-->greater heal) with a spattering oh shields and GS

Thankfully the strats I read last night show the holy priest in AOE duty, which means I get to play with a playstyle I am more used to

I love that lightwell is indispensable now

the fucker goes down tonight

forgrim

Dunlop said:
Got magmaw to 5% on our first night with him, I was tank healing as a Holy priest to which I would rather gougue my eyes out.

Chakra--> heal is fucking useless when there is massive spike damage the cast time is just way to long,

I ended up healing like my older method (flash heal-->flash heal-->serendipity proc-->greater heal) with a spattering oh shields and GS

Thankfully the strats I read last night show the holy priest in AOE duty, which means I get to play with a playstyle I am more used to

I love that lightwell is indispensable now

the fucker goes down tonight

Top end guilds have been showing that priests have the most healing output at the current time, and if you look at the logs, its pretty much glyphed PoH, then PoH spam.

the entire fight.

you have the right idea, priests + aoe healing = win.

Dunlop

forgrim said:
Top end guilds have been showing that priests have the most healing output at the current time, and if you look at the logs, its pretty much glyphed PoH, then PoH spam.

the entire fight.

you have the right idea, priests + aoe healing = win.

yeah, I had been training myself with heroic runs under the chakra->heal method as it was supposed to be the goto method as it was the most mana efficient..so happy that I do not need to use this playstyle.

I have always been used to mobility as a holy priest, heal chakra takes that all away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom