• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheYanger

Rapstah said:
I solo healed all the pre-Halfus trash as a disc priest today, the other healer didn't show up for our first ever Halfus tuesday. Was pretty damn easy with eccessive CC, no one understood the mechanic behind those silencing guys with the death orbs though :lol

No real mechanic, pull them back away from the orbs and blast em down.

Magnus

I don't know if this debate has been had in either WoW thread before, but:

Do you guys think Blizzard should ultimately just embrace skill differentiation in PvE and PvP? I mean, maintain all the same talents/abilities in both places, but just alter whatever numbers or effects are needed to keep things as balanced and fair as possible in either half of the game.

Would that be the final paradigm change in design thought for WoW that would seriously address game balance for the better?

I guess what I'm asking is, is it the easy way out with a high chance of achieving a heretofore unseen level of balance, but it's just a game design choice Blizzard doesn't want to embrace?

notworksafe

Magnus said:
I guess what I'm asking is, is it the easy way out with a high chance of achieving a heretofore unseen level of balance, but it's just a game design choice Blizzard doesn't want to embrace?
This. Turbine does it with LotRO in Monster Play without any issue and it'd be the best way to keep PVP balanced without having to fuck up PVE in the process.

I hope it happens eventually.

etiolate

Banned
Magnus said:
I don't know if this debate has been had in either WoW thread before, but:

Do you guys think Blizzard should ultimately just embrace skill differentiation in PvE and PvP? I mean, maintain all the same talents/abilities in both places, but just alter whatever numbers or effects are needed to keep things as balanced and fair as possible in either half of the game.

Would that be the final paradigm change in design thought for WoW that would seriously address game balance for the better?

They are already doing this in a way with the variation of time that a CC controls a player versus a mob. So, they understand the concept, can implement it, but just simply choose not to.

Woo, got a 2nd binding on my lock. Now he has a TF too, along with my DK =D. Started farming the TF for the warlock in October, and DK got both his bindings within three resets, so pretty lucky overall :lol

etiolate said:
They are already doing this in a way with the variation of time that a CC controls a player versus a mob. So, they understand the concept, can implement it, but just simply choose not to.

Because someone thought resilience would fix everything.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Bloody hell, mining training. So all my mining recipes are grey and all the nodes that still contribute skill are so scarce in Arathi. Engineering is at Expert now and recipes come thick and fast which is very nice!

Tamanon

Banned
I've found mining to be easier to level now than in the past, if only because Northern Stranglethorne is full of tin now. the main stumbling block.

Ramirez

Thnikkaman said:
Bloody hell, mining training. So all my mining recipes are grey and all the nodes that still contribute skill are so scarce in Arathi. Engineering is at Expert now and recipes come thick and fast which is very nice!

Go to Wowhead, search for whatever node you need the most atm, there maps tell which zones have the most spawn points. Leveling mining is insanely easy now in Azeroth, it's still really lame and scarce in Outlands, then gets better again in NR.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Thnikkaman said:
Arathi is a zone id rate Poor for Mining and Ok for Herbalism. Once you hit the Plaguelands, youll have so many nodes of both you wont know what to do though. So much Iron and Khadgars Whisker around its almost ridiculous. Its often ill have 5-6 nodes on my minimap at any given time.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Thanks for the tips! I had 13 or so skill-ups to go before the next stage of mining. Also found a real motherlode in north Hillsbrad, but the copper ores are grey. So sad.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
water_wendi said:
Oh you are on Tin? Try the snowy area of Hillsbrad, Alterac Mountains. Its in the north with all the yetis.

edit: Heres a good guide for leveling Mining http://www.wow-professions.com/wowguides/wow-mining-guide.html#65
Yeah, the mines with the ogres are stuffed with tin ore, except the skill rating is green so I only advance after using a few. Figured Arathi would have as much silver as I need but after running around and giving Gatherer the data it's almost empty.

Plus what's the point of tin if all of it goes in to making bronze? That's from my level of engineering at least.

water_wendi said:
You are going to have to go with the green skillups. Silver is a rare spawn of Tin.. meaning when a Tin vein spawns it has a small chance to be a Silver vein instead. Trying to find Silver, Gold or Truesilver isnt really possible.

If you can Smelt Silver it may offer some easy skill ups that way. If the prices of Silver Ore on the AH are alright that might be an option.

edit: Tin by itself is useless. Its only use is to give skillups and make Bronze.
I feel like I really ought to give something back for all this advice! Spending so long with a rival game means I really get used to how things were there, and I expect things to be that way.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Thnikkaman said:
Yeah, the mines with the ogres are stuffed with tin ore, except the skill rating is green so I only advance after using a few. Figured Arathi would have as much silver as I need but after running around and giving Gatherer the data it's almost empty.

Plus what's the point of tin if all of it goes in to making bronze? That's from my level of engineering at least.
You are going to have to go with the green skillups. Silver is a rare spawn of Tin.. meaning when a Tin vein spawns it has a small chance to be a Silver vein instead. Trying to find Silver, Gold or Truesilver isnt really possible.

If you can Smelt Silver it may offer some easy skill ups that way. If the prices of Silver Ore on the AH are alright that might be an option.

edit: Tin by itself is useless. Its only use is to give skillups and make Bronze.

cdyhybrid

Hmm, trying to decide what to level up next. I'd mainly just mess around and run dungeons with some PvP sprinkled in there. I'm trying to decide between a Troll Druid, Orc Shaman, Tauren Paladin, or Undead Mage/Warlock. I'm just looking for something different than my main, which is a DK (tank and dps), but I have absolutely zero interest in healing.

I have a DPS Warrior at 80 already but it seems like it would be practically the same thing as my DK, since I would be running Arms. A Shaman seems kind of interesting, as does a Mage/Warlock. Paladin would pretty much solely be a tank, but I wonder if the experience is really that much different than tanking on my DK. Druid would also be tank/DPS, but the Bat Flight Form is pretty damn cool.

Which of these classes/specs is currently in the best shape, taking into the upcoming patch? Both power and design-wise.

-Arms Warrior
-Mage (unfamiliar with the class so I won't specify spec)
-Warlock (unfamiliar with the class so I won't specify spec)
-Elemental Shaman
-Enhancement Shaman
-Feral Druid
-Moonkin Druid

zugzug

You know this idea of creating one type of server to appease all 50 billion players is just stupid. If blizzard insists on nerfing heroics like the latest patch notes are showing then it is time to create multiple ruleset servers for people who enjoy a higher level of difficulty then the common player which these new changes to heroics are intended to make happy.

Heroics were fine without these making it easier to complete them.

Blizzard is already giving away badges so everyone can get easy gear lets not make the game any easier for the common person.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
cdyhybrid said:
Hmm, trying to decide what to level up next. I'd mainly just mess around and run dungeons with some PvP sprinkled in there. I'm trying to decide between a Troll Druid, Orc Shaman, Tauren Paladin, or Undead Mage/Warlock. I'm just looking for something different than my main, which is a DK (tank and dps), but I have absolutely zero interest in healing.

I have a DPS Warrior at 80 already but it seems like it would be practically the same thing as my DK, since I would be running Arms. A Shaman seems kind of interesting, as does a Mage/Warlock. Paladin would pretty much solely be a tank, but I wonder if the experience is really that much different than tanking on my DK. Druid would also be tank/DPS, but the Bat Flight Form is pretty damn cool.

Which of these classes/specs is currently in the best shape, taking into the upcoming patch? Both power and design-wise.

-Arms Warrior
-Elemental Shaman
-Enhancement Shaman
-Feral Druid
-Moonkin Druid
Bat form isn't in the game, and I'm not sure if it'll ever make it in. I stopped leveling my Troll Druid when I found out.

I think Mages are looking really good right now for both PvP and PvE, but of all the high level classes I have (a lot), arms warrior is the most fun to me. But yeah, definitely shares a lot of similarities with your DK.

J-Rzez

PatzCU said:
I saw this and started laughing because my buddy just paid ~$130 to activate and transfer a Mage on a friend's old account to our server to replace his 85 DK. However, the more I think about it, I don't think this will be too crazy. I can't think of any ranged DK abilities besides D&D that could be used to deplete Unholy runes. So this really is only going to be useful if you can blow all your unholy runes before the mage gets away. And if a DK is already stuck in a nova out of range, it will just sit there like before.

Well, unholy runes are blown as soon as they get close now with Necrotic Strike X2. So trinket and DG will get them rolling once if rooted/snared. Stuns will be broken via IBF at anytime. So I guess we'll see how it pans out on PTR really. It's at least a step in the right direction.

Don't forget many mages LOVE to blink after a nova, which a DK can throw DkS on them and copy the Blink breaking them out. Smart mages won't fall for it though. Hunters/Mages won't just lol anymore at DKs at least. There is a fighting chance.

Tamanon

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
Bat form isn't in the game, and I'm not sure if it'll ever make it in. I stopped leveling my Troll Druid when I found out.

I think Mages are looking really good right now for both PvP and PvE, but of all the high level classes I have (a lot), arms warrior is the most fun to me. But yeah, definitely shares a lot of similarities with your DK.

Bat form is in 4.0.6.

Tacitus_

• Synapse Springs now increase Agility, Strength, or Intellect (whichever is highest for the character).
  • PvP trinkets will now clear disarm and silence effects.
  • The PvP warrior 4-piece set bonus has been redesigned. It now reduces disarm duration by 60% (does not stack with any Weapon Chains).

Oh yesssss

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Just finished Vashj'ir and started Deepholm. WOW.

The entire affair has been epic. I absolutely loved it. Phasing gets a lot of hate, but to me, this is a great evolution of the WoW formula. The real ability to tell an involved story within an MMO.

What can I say? I guess I'm easily impressed.

Twig

Banned
Most people love the shit out of phasing.

Most people are dumb. :3

(THAT was me being condescending!)

(And also insulting.)

(And it was a joke so don't get yer panties in an uproar, now.)

Alex

Female Worgen actually seem to look pretty good as Death Knights. Not a race I'd ever play, personally but it's amazing how much of a difference not having those creepy ass eyes makes.

Twig

Banned
I would imagine that being covered in plate instead of wearing revealing cloth also makes them significantly less creepy/disgusting.

etiolate

Banned
cdyhybrid said:

-Arms Warrior
-Elemental Shaman
-Enhancement Shaman
-Feral Druid
-Moonkin Druid

Like someone said, Arms can be fun. I only played mine for 60 or so levels, but the run in and hittem hard approach is nice. In the game, they aren't where they normally are PVP wise quite yet(which is when they become mandatory in PVP like most of the time) and PVE wise they aren't a chart topper.

Out of all of those, I'd go Warlock. They can do well both in PVE and PVP right now, and there's no way you're healing. Enhancement is good in PVE and was starting to be nice in PVP, but Shaman are getting their utility tools nerfed. Enhance still fills real squshy outside of CDs. Elemental may be the worst spec in the game overall right now, but Ret probably holds that title. So Elemental is just the worst caster. Moonkin is a bit better shape than Ele but still so-so from what I've seen. Feral is fun and normally has some place to succeed, but you'll be asked to tank.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
thetrin said:
Just finished Vashj'ir and started Deepholm. WOW.

The entire affair has been epic. I absolutely loved it. Phasing gets a lot of hate, but to me, this is a great evolution of the WoW formula. The real ability to tell an involved story within an MMO.

What can I say? I guess I'm easily impressed.
I like what they're doing with zones, although it can be hard to pop in and out of them now. Still haven't finished Twi. Highlands or Vashj'ir storylines, but have done all of Deepholm, Uldum and Hyjal.

If someone is looking to roll a new class, I almost always would suggest Mage, but Warlock is actually pretty much overpowered right now, and being allowed to stay that way.

Cyrillus

I like the change to surveying, however they still need to do something about dig sites themselves. The Grim Batol dig site is just awful, and fossil dig sites are far too plentiful for the number of artifacts you can make with them (I have 784 fossil fragments at the moment in my quest for Zin'rokh after having solved all the available fossil artifacts). They need to reduce the number of fossil dig sites, add more fossil artifacts, or allow you to somehow turn off dig sites of a type for which you've completed all the artifacts.

Also, for the DK changes, the Glyph of Dark Succor and the Death's Advance talent are certainly awesome, but the glyph at 20% is probably too much, 12-15% sounds better. I am assuming that the Death's Advance talent doesn't work on roots, because if it does....:D

cdyhybrid

So I decided to go with my Arms Warrior for now, but reading up on specs and stuff, I came across this:

Bladestorm - According to the tooltip you should be hitting 150% weapon damage per second while using this, which makes it a moderate DPS increase for 6 seconds, and a HUGE gain in rage efficiency, similar to deadly calm. As of now, the damage appears to be bugged and still hitting only 100% weapon damage per swing, and is a dps loss to use on single target.

Is Bladestorm still bugged?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
cdyhybrid said:
So I decided to go with my Arms Warrior for now, but reading up on specs and stuff, I came across this:

Is Bladestorm still bugged?
The 150% is for the instant strike right when you pop the ability, and that works. I still don't use Bladestorm on single targets though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
one more quest until I click over to 63, all non-PVP and non-group quests dealt with in Hellfire Peninsula. In all I didn't mind it, it was better than current old-world Silithus, that's for sure. The novelty of a flying mount helped. I also started taking part in instances for the first time and had a gigantic 'ooooohhhh' moment when I realised how much quicker my experience bar was filling. I mean, I guess my XP bar was always fine in the Cata-old-world without it, but here in the Outlands it's helpful.

Onto Zangermarsh tomorrow. At this rate I'll be needing WotLK in a few days.

Dunlop

Made good progress on Omnotron, myself and another were hit once again with insane latency issues that have been going on since december 28th, there are hundreds of posts about it on the tech forums yet no official response outside of havng people sent tracert's...the unofficial problem is with the AT&T backbone which is where most people who are affected spike hard. Very fucking annoying.

I'm firewalled at work but does it list the mats needed for the caster alchemy trinket? is it the same as the existing one? I want to make sure I them before the prices spike on the AH

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Wow at some of the upcoming changes.

- In addition to Strength of Soul's existing effects, when Power Word: Shield is placed on oneself, the priest becomes immune to silence, interrupt, and dispel effects for 2/4 seconds.

Its nice but this is the most "beta" Wow has felt. It was kind of like this with DKs at the start of Wrath but these huge changes are seemingly with every class.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
CcrooK said:
From PTR:

Enchanting: Enchant Off-Hand - Superior Intellect now increases intellect by 40, down from 100.

Raaaaaaaaage!
DPS casters aren't losing INT though.. it's just getting displaced. Problem is currently you have to be either massively unlucky at RNG or an idiot to be using a staff. The +100 int off hand makes that combination so infinitely better than a staff there is no reason to use one. The new makeup with be +40 off hand (60 int loss), +54 in meta (now only at a 6 int loss), and a crazy pricey +50 int bracer chant (2 maelstroms and 15 vol water). So you are going to pay through the ass for that bracer enchant, but overall DPS casters are getting a 44 int buff. at the same time you'll now be able to choose between staff and main/off based on your preference. Me personally, I really like the non-replaceable black glow of my staff, but also love the look of the hermit's lamp.

As for Omnotron.... down in 10 monday. down in 25 last night. First pull was 66% and I think was just the 25 group getting all on the same page. Second one was 20% with like half the raid down due to an unlucky laser beam AND poison protocol on tank and melee within 2 seconds of each other.. took out pretty much all melee in like 3 seconds. final one was almost a flawless victory. I think we MIGHT have had one dead at the very end.

I still stand by that initially it's a VERY sensory overload fight. Fortunately it looks like each role only really has to worry about 2 or 3 things the entire fight besides their role. For DPS caster it means nuking down bombs, as a mage stealing converted power, and as an aggro wipe class dropping aggro on the laser beam. Hell, the only "don't stand in shit" is even the poison cloud, and even then it's not major as it's a 50% debuff, not a tick.

Anyway, had to drop the daughter unit off after the kill, so missed the quick argaloth kill... hopefully I can pick up a 10 or 25 man pug with that later in the week. rest of the group headed over to Bastion to check out Halfus so I missed that also. Next 25 man will probably be another Conclave down tomorrow night and then looking at Al'Akir.

edit - apparently the nerfing of heroics is continuing. First trash was majorly nerfed in DM. Then the electricity spinners were nerfed. Now apparently mend rotting flesh has been removed on PTR. Not lessened but straight up removed.

on the good note, we all got our dungeon hero achievements before any of this came about (and around 6-7 of us got the Glory achievement as well.. not me though :( ). On the other good note, it sure will be nice to successfully one shot every pug for my 70 VPs a day. on the other good note, I'll be able to easily gear up my alts... ehh...... fuck it. I guess I don't care then that heroics are being nerfed for pugs... heh..

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I don't really care if they nerf some heroics. If this means that the DPS queues can get closer to the WOTLK one(10-15 mins), then im all for it. And if this means some heroics will not take 3 hours for people who are doing them for the first time, then yes again.

Speaking of heroics, i did H BRC for the first time yesterday. And being a frost mage makes the last boss so easy, we one shotted it. All i had to do is kite them around by using my own frost nova, or the one from my pet, nothing else. Was fun.

Dunlop

Bisnic said:
Speaking of heroics, i did H BRC for the first time yesterday. And being a frost mage makes the last boss so easy, we one shotted it. All i had to do is kite them around by using my own frost nova, or the one from my pet, nothing else. Was fun.

The last boss is easy regardless of group composition. I'm puzzled as to why he was not the first boss

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Dunlop said:
The last boss is easy regardless of group composition. I'm puzzled as to why he was not the first boss

Yeah, when you compare it to the boss with the fire pillar(Steelbender?), he's such a joke.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
yeah, it's not just frost mage. as a fire mage I still use frost nova, and then when that breaks (while running) instacast blast wave. With a buffed pool of 118K pretty sure I never dropped below 100K the whole fight. and the only time I took hits was when he transferred with one of them and I had to pick the "new" one up again.

see, this is why I don't get the nerfs.... I guess the bulk of the player base is so bad that even stuff like this is just too much to communicate and organize.

though yes, I will definitely appreciate faster-than-35m queues more than I will lament the loss of diffculty.

Bisnic said:
Yeah, when you compare it to the boss with the fire pillar(Steelbender?), he's such a joke.
kresh is easy also, as long as you have a tank who can kite him through the lava and a healer who can heal through 15-20 stacks. beauty is easy as long as you can keep at one (definitely two) of the pups CC'ed. actually BRC in general is pretty easy. Corla was the biggest problem we had recently, and that was only because one of the guys taking the beam DC'ed during the first two pulls wiping us. After he rebooted his modem and could actually get out of the beam at 75 we one shotted her no problem.

Hardest heroics IMHO are stonecore, GB and SFK. The stonecore "nerf" I'm actually fine with, as part of stonecore's deal is just having to guess at shit (ozruk's ground slam and the stupid spiders' dust being the same color as the worm's dust). SFK the ashbury wasn't even THAT hard. Not as hard as trying to interrupt or burn down the two adds with the buffs on the third boss... uggh. or trying to do Godfrey without a dispel curse in the group (from what I hear). And GB isn't hard so much as there are a ton of mechanics you have to be aware of.. more so IMHO than any other heroic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom