• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evlar

Banned
Best I can gather, my best strategy right now is to hold on to any arena points accumulated as they will be converted to new Honor Points when 4.0 drops at some as yet undetermined conversion rate, and that anything I might buy now with Arena will be trumped by what I can get then with new Honor.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
DeathNote said:
How are these stats for a DK learning to tank heroics?

Self buffed... 24,718 armor, 29,000HP, 535 Defense, 23.27% Dodge, 18.05% parry, 7.32% hit, 6.75 expertise. 535 is heroic defense cap right? Since no boss is over 82? I could gem/enchant for some more hit.

As far as spec and rotation:

Think you might need some expertise before hit rating. 7.32% is good enough when 8% is the cap. But 6.75 expertise? Don't you need like 24-26? If you get some red sockets on your tanking gear, you could still use some purple gems with expertise & stamina.

Ashodin

firex said:
I hope you're right, and they do it with every content patch. Making heroic versions of some of those dungeons should be pretty easy.
Exactly. All they have to do is configure loot, tune the bosses and zone to fit standards (CC, Pull, DPS, Tanking, Healing), and record any voice-over and write new dialogue for the heroic version and you're done. Not very hard especially if you keep it all in-house.

Basically, by the time Cata would be "done", we would have over 20 dungeons in the game by the end. Which is insane.

firex said:
I hope you're right, and they do it with every content patch. Making heroic versions of some of those dungeons should be pretty easy.

I've always wanted them to do this. If it was that easy they'd have done it by now.

Some of the old dungeons are just plain too long. BlackRock Mountain and Wailing Caverns are huge, groups frequently get lost in there.

Didn't surprise me they announced Heroic Deadmines and SFK, those dungeons are fairly quick and more importantly ... linear.

Heroic SM would be awesome as well.

Aurarian

So... I'm a little bit worried about what is happening to warriors in Cataclysm. Specifically Prot. On the beta forums, there's a lot of reaction to certain talents that we're having to spec into to do things we can already do on live. Rage generation is apparently lower and speccing into shield spec is pretty much required, but the problem is that it's so overpowered as well that it makes managing your rage pointless. I also don't like that our AoE threat is being gimped. We have never had superb AOE abilities in comparison to other classes.(DK's, Paladins, and even druids but then again all they do is swipe) I mean you have TC, Shockwave, and Cleave basically but now that they're doing lower damage, what does that get us especially when you charge + heroic throw into a group of mobs and don't have that snap threat.

Obviously, this isn't finalized by any means, but 4.0 is probably going up next week or the week after and I'm not really looking forward to these changes if so. Also, why the fuck are we still spending points for passive 10% armor bonus? This should be part of our primary skills like Sentinel and Critical Block.

Bisnic

Aurarian said:
So... I'm a little bit worried about what is happening to warriors in Cataclysm. Specifically Prot. On the beta forums, there's a lot of reaction to certain talents that we're having to spec into to do things we can already do on live. Rage generation is apparently lower and speccing into shield spec is pretty much required, but the problem is that it's so overpowered as well that it makes managing your rage pointless. I also don't like that our AoE threat is being gimped. We have never had superb AOE abilities in comparison to other classes.(DK's, Paladins, and even druids but then again all they do is swipe) I mean you have TC, Shockwave, and Cleave basically but now that they're doing lower damage, what does that get us especially when you charge + heroic throw into a group of mobs and don't have that snap threat.

Obviously, this isn't finalized by any means, but 4.0 is probably going up next week or the week after and I'm not really looking forward to these changes if so. Also, why the fuck are we still spending points for passive 10% armor bonus? This should be part of our primary skills like Sentinel and Critical Block.

If you're going to include Cleave, might as well include Revenge. Never had trouble personally with warriors aoe threat. I find that all our 4 abilities are plenty enough to keep targets on us. The most important thing that helps i think is always running in front of others and use Charge as much as you can. That 4-5 secs that DPS takes to reach you gives you plenty of time for doing all the threat you need.

And with Revenge critting for over 9000! with decent gear, cleave hitting 3 targets with its glyph, thunderclap and shockwave doing a pretty good job... i hardly lose aggro, even against a very well geared DPS. After you charge and use Thunderclap and Shockwave, even if DPS do crazy damage early, you can continue to spam Cleave, maybe a Revenge, Shield Slam and a 2nd TC while they are stunned to get your threat high again before the stun is gone.

Seriously, my warrior has less trouble holding aoe threat than plenty of DKs, Druids or Paladins i've seen in the hundreds of heroics i've done as a DPS or healer. All the prot warriors that i've seen having trouble with aoe threat didnt even had Revenge or Cleave in their top 3 attacks on Recount.

But if you were mostly talking about raids, ignore this post. I barely raid with my warrior, so i dont know how bad or good their aoe threat is against more than 3 DPS. :lol But the few times i did raid with him, it was just as easy from what i can remember.

Bisnic said:
Think you might need some expertise before hit rating. 7.32% is good enough when 8% is the cap. But 6.75 expertise? Don't you need like 24-26? If you get some red sockets on your tanking gear, you could still use some purple gems with expertise & stamina.

He's fine. He's doing heroics anyway. Work on your expertise if you want to start doing raids though.

Bisnic

Azwethinkweiz said:
He's fine. He's doing heroics anyway. Work on your expertise if you want to start doing raids though.

He might be doing heroics, but what if he gets into H HOR and the boss dodge his first attack while the crazy 6k GS mage just used a Pyroblast that dit a crit? :lol Bye bye mage.

Aesthet1c

Aurarian said:

I'm actually excited abotu the changes. I really like the talents that make us heal ourselves, as well as talents that make us receive more healing (although those aren't in the prot tree). I'm also digging the new rotation. One of the other things thats going to help our AOE threat is when we thunderclap our rend spreads to everyone. Also, thunderclap applies a stacking buff that increases your next shockwave by 10% per stack. Overall, I dont think we will be having any more issues holding threat against multiple mobs than we do right now (not saying we really have issues, I can hold threat in 10 mans without any problems).

ampere

Bisnic said:
He might be doing heroics, but what if he gets into H HOR and the boss dodge his first attack while the crazy 6k GS mage just used a Pyroblast that dit a crit? :lol Bye bye mage.
If he's 'learning' to tank heroics and he gets HoR it'll be a wipefest anyway.

Dunlop

KernelPanic said:
Hardest part about starting out tanking heroics is holding aggro with ICC geared DPS going all out behind you.

I have no problem with my lower geared (by low i mean t9 gear) prot pally, then again righteous defence makes getting any lost agro back a joke.

On the HoR topic, I was tanking it last night. The DPS was brutal and refused to focus target. On the last wave of adds with Jaina at the end, the DPS took so long that I was tanking them against the glacier wall with LK on us. The last mob dropped and then the glacier disappeared but it was like the dungeon reset. DPS called me an asshole for bugging out the encounter.

I have run HoR (normal and heroic) a ton of times on this toon to get gear and it is the first time the DPS was not able to drop the mobs before getting to that point. Is this a known bug?

On the plus side I was the for my OS anyways I got the healing chest and trinket (snowflake) :D

Tamanon

Banned
Bisnic said:

At 24k health, his gearscore won't be large enough to get tossed into the Heroic ICCs.

Aurarian

Bisnic said:
If you're going to include Cleave, might as well include Revenge. Never had trouble personally with warriors aoe threat. I find that all our 4 abilities are plenty enough to keep targets on us. The most important thing that helps i think is always running in front of others and use Charge as much as you can. That 4-5 secs that DPS takes to reach you gives you plenty of time for doing all the threat you need.

And with Revenge critting for over 9000! with decent gear, cleave hitting 3 targets with its glyph, thunderclap and shockwave doing a pretty good job... i hardly lose aggro, even against a very well geared DPS. After you charge and use Thunderclap and Shockwave, even if DPS do crazy damage early, you can continue to spam Cleave, maybe a Revenge, Shield Slam and a 2nd TC while they are stunned to get your threat high again before the stun is gone.

Seriously, my warrior has less trouble holding aoe threat than plenty of DKs, Druids or Paladins i've seen in the hundreds of heroics i've done as a DPS or healer. All the prot warriors that i've seen having trouble with aoe threat didnt even had Revenge or Cleave in their top 3 attacks on Recount.

But if you were mostly talking about raids, ignore this post. I barely raid with my warrior, so i dont know how bad or good their aoe threat is against more than 3 DPS. :lol But the few times i did raid with him, it was just as easy from what i can remember.

I don't really have much of a problem at the moment except for certain things that I addressed last night. Specifically my glyphs and such and going 5/5 SS is actually worse on rage than 3/3 FR. I'm just not liking the feedback on the beta forums or from people on EJ/TS.

Aesthet1c said:
I'm actually excited abotu the changes. I really like the talents that make us heal ourselves, as well as talents that make us receive more healing (although those aren't in the prot tree). I'm also digging the new rotation. One of the other things thats going to help our AOE threat is when we thunderclap our rend spreads to everyone. Also, thunderclap applies a stacking buff that increases your next shockwave by 10% per stack. Overall, I dont think we will be having any more issues holding threat against multiple mobs than we do right now (not saying we really have issues, I can hold threat in 10 mans without any problems).

I don't think Impending Victory is worth being specced into to be honest. The last time I used Victory Rush was when I was leveling from 70-80(then again you had to be in battle or berzerker stance to use I think) when Wrath first came out and the fact that its only 5% of max health is menial on a tank with 100k-150khp with a boss dealing 40-50k or more a hit. Field Dressing however is something that should definitely be included in a prot spec and may actually give Enraged Generation a better chance at being a solo CD. The problem with the 10% buff stack on shockwave is that they changed the formula for shockwave damage. It's not 75% of your AP anymore, it's apparently significantly lower from what I see on the forums.

We'll see how things work out when the talent changes go live soon enough.

Aesthet1c

Aurarian said:
I don't think Impending Victory is worth being specced into to be honest. The last time I used Victory Rush was when I was leveling from 70-80(then again you had to be in battle or berzerker stance to use I think) when Wrath first came out and the fact that its only 5% of max health is menial on a tank with 100k-150khp with a boss dealing 40-50k or more a hit. Field Dressing however is something that should definitely be included in a prot spec and may actually give Enraged Generation a better chance at being a solo CD. The problem with the 10% buff stack on shockwave is that they changed the formula for shockwave damage. It's not 75% of your AP anymore, it's apparently significantly lower from what I see on the forums.

We'll see how things work out when the talent changes go live soon enough.

Even at 5%, thats extra damage, extra threat, and extra heals for you, why would you not spec into it? It will probably even benefit from Field Dressing . The other main talent I was talking about is the new Blood Craze . Having an ability that has a chance to heal ourself for 7.5 percent any time we take damage (which is all the time), and probably also gaining bonus from Field Dressing just sounds dead sexy to me.

I do see what you mean about shockwave though.. I tested it out last night on the PTR and mine were only hitting for like 2.2k on a target dummy, then again, I'm not sure how much they hit on live. I'll have to play around with it all some more and maybe tank some heroics to see what I think about it.

firex

first of all, I think all tanks are doing bugged damage for some reason in the game/haven't had a numbers adjustment at all yet. I don't know how else to explain my prot paladin doing much lower damage on regular attacks, and having crits hit for the same as they do in 3.3.5.

second, EVERY tank is getting a massive aoe threat nerf. They want to remove being able to aoe entire groups in one pull for almost all instances. This comes down to mobs hitting too hard for a tank to absorb all that damage/a healer to heal through it. Tanking and healing are both changing a lot in 4.0.1, so it's almost pointless to complain about them playing differently from live.

Rokam

Was wondering if someone could help me out, with that whole justice points system coming in 4.0, chances are I'll only be able to get one piece of gear with my emblems of frost before it hits. I'm a prot warrior, don't raid or anything; originally I was going to grab the cloak, but now I'm thinking the trinket is going to help me longer once Cata is out.

Just looking for anyones opinion, much appreciated. And here's an armory link just in case you need it.
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Proudmoore&cn=Motanix

Bisnic

Rokam said:
Was wondering if someone could help me out, with that whole justice points system coming in 4.0, chances are I'll only be able to get one piece of gear with my emblems of frost before it hits. I'm a prot warrior, don't raid or anything; originally I was going to grab the cloak, but now I'm thinking the trinket is going to help me longer once Cata is out.

Just looking for anyones opinion, much appreciated. And here's an armory link just in case you need it.
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Proudmoore&cn=Motanix

If Cataclysm is anything like WOTLK when it comes to trinkets, you will barely find any trinket for tanking while you're questing/lvling.

My lvl 75 warrior still has the tanking trinket from that quest in hellfire while his 2nd trinket is the BOA haste trinket... because there is literally NOTHING until i can do reg HOL.

markot

Banned
Bisnic said:
What kind of moron 6k gs mage would do that >_<?

Hit rating doesnt matter for heroics, just get stamina. Also dodge and parry are higher concerns then hit >.>

firex said:
second, EVERY tank is getting a massive aoe threat nerf. They want to remove being able to aoe entire groups in one pull for almost all instances. This comes down to mobs hitting too hard for a tank to absorb all that damage/a healer to heal through it. Tanking and healing are both changing a lot in 4.0.1, so it's almost pointless to complain about them playing differently from live.

This kind of worries me since the patch is coming before the expansion, which means aoe tanking all the trash in ICC like you're supposed to is going to become a huge pain in the ass and so people are probably going to stop doing it.

Bisnic

firex said:
first of all, I think all tanks are doing bugged damage for some reason in the game/haven't had a numbers adjustment at all yet. I don't know how else to explain my prot paladin doing much lower damage on regular attacks, and having crits hit for the same as they do in 3.3.5.

Nooo, don't nerf my tanking aoe! I like it the way it is :

24zgimw.jpg

Hint : i'm brown.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Bisnic said:
Oops. 6.75% which is like 26.

Never tanked before. I won't be doing H HoR anytime soon. I'm going to do the normal version of each one, easier first, then select heroic manually until I'm ready for randoms. I've done each as dps a bazillion times.

Gonna read other posts now. On phone.

Edit: I don't see a lock on manually selecting ICC heroics as a tank. I'm at 4.4 or 4.5gs.

Btw, I have some dps gear on with those stats. 232 Helm, trinks, and tyrannical beheader. Everything else Is epic 200 or 232 dungeon defense gear.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I'm glad they are getting rid of the AOE-fest in dungeons anyway. It made my job as a healer tougher when the shit hit the fan, and the DPS didn't seem to give a rats when those moments happened. This time they'll be on their toes and might have to actually *gasp* work through instances.

J-Rzez

DeathNote said:
My blizzard background downloader kept crashing this morning for some reason.

I had to delete the stupid downloader, run a check repair, properties, win 98 comp checked, restart, and open it again to finally work for me, as I had that same bug for some reason.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
J-Rzez said:
I had to delete the stupid downloader, run a check repair, properties, win 98 comp checked, restart, and open it again to finally work for me, as I had that same bug for some reason.
Win 98 comp? You have windows 98?

Bisnic

Are you supposed to see that background downloader somewhere? I see the window when you click on WoW that says "Data for the next patch is available. Download will start when you launch the game..." But where can i see how its progressing??

J-Rzez

Weenerz said:
No, hes using Windows 98 compatibility.

Yep. I still use XP for gaming. But I had to check off that box to get it to function properly.

Bisnic said:
Are you supposed to see that background downloader somewhere? I see the window when you click on WoW that says "Data for the next patch is available. Download will start when you launch the game..." But where can i see how its progressing??

Showed up in my system tray.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
J-Rzez said:
Firing off DC's and hitting your ghoul steroid button for fun too. That's all it basically it for Unholy right now. Pest if there's AoE involved.

Frost 2H OB wasn't "too" bad though, mine ranged from 7k-15.5k.

For Pallies, "Power-Aura" for Holy Powers need to show up above your character. Too much looking around. Though I'm sure someone will make an add-on that does it.
The problem is, even if it does do that much, so does Howling Blast and HB+PS is more total damage, and you are rune/RP locked, not GCD locked, and the combo of those two provides more RP than OB.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
ciaossu said:
Is your ret wearing mail or leather? Remember they took AP off gear and agility isn't going to be as valuable for rets anymore. I would say get a full set of plate gear with strength and then see how you do. 5% strength buff too.

I just checked and my shaman (resto/ele) and druid (bear/tree) have copied over, excited to play around with talents :D
No. Ret just does bad damage. I mean, TV only crits for like 7K with 3HP.

Cindres said:
Jesus, is it really THAT much data? I dread to think what the big pre cata one's gonna be like.
The full patch as used on the PTR is 15.1 GB o_O

Angry Grimace said:
No. Ret just does bad damage. I mean, TV only crits for like 7K with 3HP.

4.0.1 is not 15 GB. You're downloading the entire game again to test the streaming launcher.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Yep. I still use XP for gaming. But I had to check off that box to get it to function properly.

Showed up in my system tray.
Weird. I'm on XP too.

I deleted the background downloaded and did repair. When I tried to open the background downloaded crashed again. When I opened the launcher it said it wouldn't download anything at this time. I changed the compatibility to Windows 98 and it worked.

XP bug?

Alcoori

markot said:

Hit rating doesnt matter for heroics, just get stamina. Also dodge and parry are higher concerns then hit >.>
Yeah hit rating is not utterly important in heroics. I do all of them easy with only 4% hit rate (working towards upping that number :D).

I really see the difference in raids though. I still manage to keep aggro because some of my threat is built up via spells rather than actual physical hit (DK) but I definitely have to get it up to the cap.

Bisnic

markot said:

I see plenty of arcane mages who have Arcane Barrage or Missiles as their most used spell instead of Arcane Blast when i do some heroics... so yeah, there is lots of morons in this game. You take one of the simpliest spell rotation in the game, and people still fuck it up.

ampere

Angry Grimace said:
That's the whole game up to patch 3.3 and then patch 4.0 added on. The PTR install doesn't depend on having a regular WoW install to run.

I think the Cataclysm files are going to be at least 10gb, but the total size of the full WoW install from scratch will probably only jump quite a bit less than that since I imagine you'll only have the new versions of zone data in your WoW folder.

What I mean: You'll have the new and water covered Thousand Needles zone data, but not the dry and barren zone data. I'm just speculating, but I would imagine they'd do that since the old Azeroth zones are soon to be gone forever for all versions of the game.

This wouldn't be for 4.0 though, this would be the Cataclysm patch. It looks like 4.0 is 1.37gb so far according to the background downloader.

Alcoori said:
Yeah hit rating is not utterly important in heroics. I do all of them easy with only 4% hit rate (working towards upping that number :D).

I really see the difference in raids though. I still manage to keep aggro because some of my threat is built up via spells rather than actual physical hit (DK) but I definitely have to get it up to the cap.
Spells are affected by hit rating as well (that includes DK 'spells' and growls/taunts). You actually need more hit rating (17% or 446 rating) to cap spell hit than you do for melee hit (8% or 263, 2-hander or one single hander). It's the same stat but it scales differently for melee hit and spell hit.

ciaossu said:
That's the whole game up to patch 3.3 and then patch 4.0 added on. The PTR install doesn't depend on having a regular WoW install to run.

I think the Cataclysm files are going to be at least 10gb, but the total size of the full WoW install from scratch will probably only jump quite a bit less than that since I imagine you'll only have the new versions of zone data in your WoW folder.

What I mean: You'll have the new and water covered Thousand Needles zone data, but not the dry and barren zone data. I'm just speculating, but I would imagine they'd do that since the old Azeroth zones are soon to be gone forever for all versions of the game.

This wouldn't be for 4.0 though, this would be the Cataclysm patch. It looks like 4.0 is 1.37gb so far according to the background downloader.

They will just overwrite the existing Azeroth files when the new world launches.

It's sort of strange how the PTR client is 15.5 GB but the Cataclysm beta client and live WoW client are 18 gigs.

EDIT: Deleted some patches and now I'm down to 16 GB. So Cata will probably be an extra 3-5 GB.

Alcoori

ciaossu said:
Spells are affected by hit rating as well (that includes DK 'spells' and growls/taunts). You actually need more hit rating (17% or 446 rating) to cap spell hit than you do for melee hit (8% or 263, 2-hander or one single hander). It's the same stat but it scales differently for melee hit and spell hit.
Well you learn something everyday :D
thing is since the spells such as Ice touch and Dark command (or dark order?) are instant and D&D is a dot aoe, feels like you can cast more of them often and have at least one hit whereas Runic Strike takes slightly longer with a 2h. Plus if it misses you've gotta wait some more and you can cast ice touch more during that time (even more so with lots of death runes)

C.Dark.DN

Banned
HarryDemeanor said:
They will just overwrite the existing Azeroth files when the new world launches.

It's sort of strange how the PTR client is 15.5 GB but the Cataclysm beta client and live WoW client are 18 gigs.

EDIT: Deleted some patches and now I'm down to 16 GB. So Cata will probably be an extra 3-5 GB.
my data folder is 1gb larger on the live than PTR. the files inside are different too.

Man, I have no idea what happen.

I was looking at the up coming changes for Cata and decided to resub for a month to see where I was at on my toons. So, I'm logging in to my Battle.net account and low and behold my WoW account has an active sub. That's weird I thought because I have not log in for over a year after I got my shaman to 80. I quickly check my credit card statements and notice I'm not paying for the month.

Then I log on. Where did all my money go? Why does my alt have 1000 plants in the bank? And with me being anal retentive, why is some of my gear in the red? Now I know I have been hacked. So, I file a petition, change my password, and run a virus check on my comp. No virus, but I have no clue how they got on the account. Someone reactivated it a week ago and I have not been on for a year. The only time I used my Battle.net stuff is for Starcraft II. Also, why didn't they change my password if they wanted to keep my account to farm herbs? Hopefully Blizzard can hit the reset button for a week ago. If not, I got my toons back and enough herbs and items to recuperate about 3/4 of my losses. WTS Ashtounge PST.

J-Rzez

DeathNote said:
Weird. I'm on XP too.

I deleted the background downloaded and did repair. When I tried to open the background downloaded crashed again. When I opened the launcher it said it wouldn't download anything at this time. I changed the compatibility to Windows 98 and it worked.

XP bug?

Has to be. Another guildie I talked to tonight said they had a problem with it too, and they're on XP as well. I told him what I did above, and it worked. So who knows.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Has to be. Another guildie I talked to tonight said they had a problem with it too, and they're on XP as well. I told him what I did above, and it worked. So who knows.
If anyone else asks, they might can skip the whole deleting and repair steps, unless you tried the comp first. I didn't try. But, it acted the some afterward and before comp.

J-Rzez

DeathNote said:
If anyone else asks, they might can skip the whole deleting and repair steps, unless you tried the comp first. I didn't try. But, it acted the some afterward and before comp.

I personally had to do the whole delete, check, comp method. I tried the quickest way first, due to impatience. lol

LowParry

I just ended up doing the change compatibility to Win 98, repaired and walla. Downloader started up. Strange it would do that all of the sudden. Never had any issue with it before.

mclem

HarryDemeanor said:

Except they seem to imply that the actual changeover will occur in an instant (they've previously mentioned bringing the servers down and bringing them right back up again with the new world active). Which means they either need to squeeze a patch into that gap - which their phrasing doesn't *seem* to indicate - or you will need to spend some time with both Azeroths existing on your hard disc, even if they're not both available in-game.

Belfast

mclem said:
Except they seem to imply that the actual changeover will occur in an instant (they've previously mentioned bringing the servers down and bringing them right back up again with the new world active). Which means they either need to squeeze a patch into that gap - which their phrasing doesn't *seem* to indicate - or you will need to spend some time with both Azeroths existing on your hard disc, even if they're not both available in-game.

4.0.3 is the "crossover" patch.

firex

Bisnic said:
If Cataclysm is anything like WOTLK when it comes to trinkets, you will barely find any trinket for tanking while you're questing/lvling.

My lvl 75 warrior still has the tanking trinket from that quest in hellfire while his 2nd trinket is the BOA haste trinket... because there is literally NOTHING until i can do reg HOL.
on the other hand, you get trinkets better than greatness/equivalent "fu greatness" trinkets blizzard put into toc/icc pretty early into cata questing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom