• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
My background downloader isn't starting, tells me there's no new patch data available if i try to manually start it. I'll try some of that troubleshooting when i've finished daily-ing.

mclem

Belfast said:
4.0.3 is the "crossover" patch.

Yes, but it probably won't be crammed into that gap between server down and server up, that's what I'm saying.

The context for this was talking about how the cataclysm transition won't take up much space on your hard drive because they'd overwrite one Azeroth with the other; what I'm saying is that doesn't make sense because they would need to have both Azeroths available - at the very least in the form of one diffed with the other - prior to the changeover.

Either at some point you'll have both on your HD, or there will be a patch between the two. And the blue post about the process:

•The servers will come down when the event culminates, and when they come back up you'll see the intro cinematic and all of the updated Azeroth will be available.

suggests that there's no space for a patch there.

On the other hand, though, this is talking about when this was a "3.9" patch, so it's quite possible their plans have changed since then.

firex

Maxrpg said:
Exactly. All they have to do is configure loot, tune the bosses and zone to fit standards (CC, Pull, DPS, Tanking, Healing), and record any voice-over and write new dialogue for the heroic version and you're done. Not very hard especially if you keep it all in-house.

Basically, by the time Cata would be "done", we would have over 20 dungeons in the game by the end. Which is insane.
I don't know if they could do this for every dungeon, but I could see them taking the "popular" dungeons plus the ones the developers really loved and making them into heroics.

Like heroic Stratholme, heroic BRD (possibly remade into 2-3 wings, though I wish that would happen with BRD anyway) and heroic SM.

I don't think they have to do it with every instance... like I personally wouldn't care if they didn't touch Dire Maul or Maraudon, beyond adjusting their levels so they are appropriate for the quest levels in those zones (a la Scholomance being retooled into a low/mid 40s instance). Or RFC, or a lot of other old instances.

Even if we only got like 8 classic instances in heroic form, that'd be good enough for me.

Evlar

Banned
DeathNote said:
If anyone else asks, they might can skip the whole deleting and repair steps, unless you tried the comp first. I didn't try. But, it acted the some afterward and before comp.
I did the compatibility mode first and it worked.

Tamanon

Banned
mclem said:
Yes, but it probably won't be crammed into that gap between server down and server up, that's what I'm saying.

The context for this was talking about how the cataclysm transition won't take up much space on your hard drive because they'd overwrite one Azeroth with the other; what I'm saying is that doesn't make sense because they would need to have both Azeroths available - at the very least in the form of one diffed with the other - prior to the changeover.

Either at some point you'll have both on your HD, or there will be a patch between the two. And the blue post about the process:

On the other hand, though, this is talking about when this was a "3.9" patch, so it's quite possible their plans have changed since then.

Blizz has already stated that 4.0.1 will come first naturally with just the class changes and the UI improvements. 4.0.3 will come shortly before Cata releases with the world changes/new race-class combos and such. Then Cata will drop. So I assume timeline wise you're looking at the Cataclysm itself happening and then a few weeks later the pathway to the new zones being discovered, lorewise.

Ashodin

Tamanon said:
Blizz has already stated that 4.0.1 will come first naturally with just the class changes and the UI improvements. 4.0.3 will come shortly before Cata releases with the world changes/new race-class combos and such. Then Cata will drop. So I assume timeline wise you're looking at the Cataclysm itself happening and then a few weeks later the pathway to the new zones being discovered, lorewise.
4.0.1 -> rumble rumble
4.0.3 -> KABOOM OH SHI

Cata comes out very shortly thereafter so you have to buy to get new zones

mclem

You may well be right, but that would mean they'd ditched the server down with old world -> server up with new world plan. Which is, of course, quite possible.

Flib

Well, that same interview said that 3.9 would be the pre-cata patch, with 4.0 being the retail versions, so plans may have changed.

Flib said:
Well, that same interview said that 3.9 would be the pre-cata patch, with 4.0 being the retail versions, so plans may have changed.

They dubbed the Operation: Gnomeregan and Zalazane's Fall as "3.9" even though it wasn't a patch.

EDIT: Mclem might be right considering there's an OldWorld.MPQ file and just a regular World.MPQ file in the PTR client. 4.0.3 might just be used to remove that OldWorld.MPQ. Plus I'm able to log into the PTR with the Cataclysm client and see the changes like nothing happened at all. So 4.0.1 comes out and is 3-5 GB of data for this new world, then 4.0.3 comes out and erases that OldWorld.MPQ file which unlocks destroyed Azeroth.

J-Rzez

Evlar said:
I did the compatibility mode first and it worked.

Lucky you, I had to do the whole song and dance to get it to work, heh.

And of course it takes time to "remaster" old content like SFK and DM. First, they have to find the crayons. Then construction paper. Then decide what color crayon to write each of the old dungeons with on said paper. They may have to wait until another person is done with their favorite color crayon. Then they put all said names into a hat that they voted to use that would be fair. After pulling the name of the dungeon to remaster they then move onto "Phase 2".

Phase 2 consists of the wall of loot. There, each member of the team has one dart. They throw said dart at whichever item model from before they like. They then throw a dart at a gradient scale to decide the color of it. Top 3 selected models and then the top ten colors will be chosen to implement throughout all the dungeons.

Phase 3 they move onto a "Press your luck" style game to set the stats that'll be the same for all items. Cleverly, they use pig models instead of Whammies, and you can hear them all saying "Come on, no hammies, no hammies, no hammies, STOP!" and hit the plunger. If they hit a hammie, they have to stop and watch as the hammie then does the druid cat form dance to the music from Bronjahm fight, and start over.

Ok, so I was a little bored during lunch writing that as you can tell, and it does take work to retool the old dungeons. In all reality, they're going to "remaster" a few old dungeons, but please don't ask for so many more. 1 or 2 for novelty sure, but I'd rather new experiences. And I can do without more "Scarlet" crusade, onslaught, and whatevers they'd make up now. Though, I'm sure there's more "Scarlet" something or others in the xpac. :(

I just realized I didn't do the new "Troll Event" yet on live. Yikes! I need to do that on my two mains. I hope it's cool.

The Lamonster said:
I am absolutely loving leveling my first alt. A human mage, level 16.

I know no one cares but goddam this is a great game.

If you didn't get to check out the PTR/Beta, leveling is SOOO much better. So you're lucky you'll have the new experience with it soon. They really did a great job revamping the leveling experience. Not just from a "xp grind" perspective, but the classes are much-more fun now too. I'll make a goblin from scratch to check out the new starting zone for them, but also just to enjoy leveling with the new system.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Fuck my +10% XP heirlooms once Cataclysm is released. I want to enjoy that new lvling as much as i can. :D

I might use them for Outlands & Northrend though.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Thinking about the stat changes, gear, and diff specs 80-85. You basically can tank/dps and heal/dps in the same rare gear?

It seems like the only major change in the tier gear will be set bonuses.

J-Rzez said:
If you didn't get to check out the PTR/Beta, leveling is SOOO much better. So you're lucky you'll have the new experience with it soon. They really did a great job revamping the leveling experience. Not just from a "xp grind" perspective, but the classes are much-more fun now too. I'll make a goblin from scratch to check out the new starting zone for them, but also just to enjoy leveling with the new system.
Yeah my plan is to start a second alt for Cata, a Worgen Priest. That way, I can reuse my cloth heirlooms!

J-Rzez

Tamanon said:
I can't wait until Blizzard just designs a bunch of dances that only NPCs can do, just for J-Rzez

There will be blood.

The Lamonster said:
Yeah my plan is to start a second alt for Cata, a Worgen Priest. That way, I can reuse my cloth heirlooms!

I'm going to make that goblin, but I'm going to wait until I can score some of the additional heirloom gear they add in. That'll be a huge chunk of added XP with the Chest, Shoulders, Helm, Cloak, and Ring.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
How hard is it to get the heirloom ring? 1 person per week is pretty crazy.

What guild level will you have to be for head and cloak heirlooms?

J-Rzez

DeathNote said:

It's all a matter of luck for the ring unfortunately. Depends on how heavily populated your realm is.

I'm not sure on the guild level. I'm sure someone here would know, perhaps those in the beta.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Oh shit, I need to do some farming.

Out With the Old

In the upcoming 4.0 patch we'll begin the first stage of the conversion to the new currencies. Emblems of Triumph and Emblems of Frost will be converted into Justice Points. For this initial conversion there will be a soft cap of points you can have, with a hard cap enforced later as detailed below. All PvE emblems and badges below Frost and Triumph will be converted into gold. This even includes legacy badges, like Badges of Justice. If any of these older currencies are converted into gold, the player will receive it through an in-game letter.

At this time any bosses a player defeats that are level-appropriate to them (and previously awarded badges or emblems upon defeat) will award them with the new Justice Points. Similarly, any items that previously cost emblems or badges of any type will now cost Justice Points instead.

On the PvP side, Season 8 will end with the release of patch 4.0, and all Arena Points, Honor Points, any leftover Battleground Marks of Honor, Stone Keeper's Shards, Venture Coins, and Spirit Shards will be converted into the new Honor Points. The new Honor Point pool will also have a soft cap for these conversions, but a hard cap will be enforced later. At the time of conversion, items that previously cost Honor or Arena Points will be sold in exchange for the new Honor Points. Rated Arenas and Rated Battlegrounds won't be available again until Season 9 (shortly after the release of Cataclysm), when they can be entered to win the higher-tier PvP Conquest Points.

In addition, purchasing any item with these secondary currencies (Honor Points and Justice Points) will now require that the purchaser meet the item's minimum level requirement.

It's important to note that these conversions are not 1:1, but are indicative of the level and relative worth of each before the conversion to the new point systems. For example, Stone Keeper's Shards will convert into more Honor Points than Spirit Shards.

Tip of the Cap

While we previously announced that there's a limit to the amount of these new currencies you can stockpile, we're providing a grace period in the form of a soft cap. This soft cap will allow the initial conversion to push the amount owned over the cap, but will not allow any further points to be earned (or returned through item refunds) until enough points are spent to put you below the hard cap.

For instance, a player has 3000 Emblems of Triumph, and 1200 Emblems of Frost; at the time of conversion they'll be given 4200 Justice Points. The hard cap for Justice Points is 4000, so that player won't be able to earn any more Justice Points until he or she spends enough points to reduce the total to under 4000. This also applies to the new PvP Honor Points, which also have a cap of 4000.

Shortly before Cataclysm is released, another patch will enforce the hard cap, marking the second stage of the currency conversion. Any Justice or Honor Points above the hard cap will be converted to gold, and just like in the first stage of the conversion, the player will receive an in-game letter explaining that some of their currencies were converted into gold as well as delivering the gold itself.

Here's some information on how each of the currencies will be converted in the next content patch. Keep in mind these values may change, and they can get a bit math heavy. Just know that our intent is to appropriately value each mark and provide a conversion we feel is fair.

The following items are immediately converted to gold:

* Emblem of Heroism = 5.5 gold each
* Emblem of Valor = 5.5 gold each
* Emblem of Conquest = 5.5 gold each
* Badge of Justice = 1.833 gold each

Your New Honor Points total will be the sum of the following amounts:

* Old Honor * 0.024
* Old Arena Points * 0.85
* Battleground Mark of Honor * 2.976
* Wintergrasp Mark of Honor * 19.08
* Stone Keeper Shard * 1.6
* Venture Coin * 3
* Spirit Shard * 1

Your Justice Points total will be equal to (Emblems of Triumph + Emblems of Frost ) * 2.75

Again, the softcap for both Honor and Justice conversions is 4000 points. This means that if a character converts to above 4,000 points, it will not be possible for them to earn more until they fall below the 4,000 cap.

A hardcap will be implemented in a following patch before Cataclysm's release. At that time, any excess points above 4,000 will be converted as follows:

* Honor points above 4,000 are converted to gold at a rate of 35 silver per point of Honor.
* Justice points above 4,000 are converted to gold at a rate of 2 gold per point of Justice.

calculator: http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/1971-Cataclysm-Currency-and-Honor-Calculator

Evlar

Banned
Yeah. Wintergrasp farming looks like a fantastic opportunity if you happen to be in a faction that wins more-or-less by default (which I am).

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Slow Blizz downloader ftl. Fast Mirrors ftw.

I got back into the game so much in the past few days after my return thanks to my DK. He was at low 61 on monday and after starting serious levelling with him on Tuesday he's now 65 from the time i've been able to put in.
Levelling a DK is so damn fun, no downtime.

ampere

mclem said:

Valid point.
Those of us who are currently playing 3.3 will probably have a 30gb+ WoW folder during this crossover period, but some new player who installs Cataclysm will probably be only a few gigs more than Wrath (20gb or so, again speculative estimates on my part).

It's true that if you want to play at midnight on the Cataclysm launch, you'll need all of those new zone files, but if you want to keep playing Wrath up until that point, you'll need the old zone files. I sort of skipped this crossover phase when I was rambling above :p

Evlar said:
Yeah. Wintergrasp farming looks like a fantastic opportunity if you happen to be in a faction that wins more-or-less by default (which I am).

Unfortunately on Borean Tundra the Horde is horrible at WG so it looks like farming there is out of the question. Damn I wish we could win at least once.

PatzCU

Cindres said:
Slow Blizz downloader ftl. Fast Mirrors ftw.

I got back into the game so much in the past few days after my return thanks to my DK. He was at low 61 on monday and after starting serious levelling with him on Tuesday he's now 65 from the time i've been able to put in.
Levelling a DK is so damn fun, no downtime.

I found DK to be the most fun class to level. Unfortunately, I also found DK to be the most cumbersome level 80 class.

Yazus

Guys... I'm a ret pally in full 264/251 gear...

here is my armory link...

I'm doing averagely 15-18k DPS to trash mobs and averagely 11-12k DPS to Deathbringer.

On Festergut 10HC I'm doing 13k...

Is it good? Any tip to rotatons etc?

ezekial45

Banned
DeathNote said:

Guild level of 20, then there may be a fee to actually have access to the heirloom cloak and helms.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
trying to figure out the point of this macro:

* [Blood Tap]/Cooldown Macro

Code: Select all
#showtooltip Vampiric Blood
/cast Blood Tap
/cast Vampiric Blood
/cancelaura Blood Tap

This casts [Blood Tap] and [Vampiric Blood] with one click and with a second cancels out [Blood Tap] so as not to mess up your Death Runes. Handy since some of our Cooldowns have Rune Costs. This also works with [Unbreakable Armor] and [Bone Shield], just replace the ability names.
what's the point of canceling out the 20 second blood to death rune conversion since they act as any rune type?

Tacitus_

DeathNote said:
trying to figure out the point of this macro:

what's the point of canceling out the 20 second blood to death rune conversion since they act as any rune type?

This casts [Blood Tap] and [Vampiric Blood] with one click and with a second cancels out [Blood Tap] so as not to mess up your Death Runes. Handy since some of our Cooldowns have Rune Costs. This also works with [Unbreakable Armor] and [Bone Shield], just replace the ability names.

You could have weird issues with Death Runes while using Blood Tap since the Blood Tapped rune stays as DR until BT runs out so if you had procced a DR from some other source, it would(could) revert to a normal rune.

TomServo

Dammit... I thought I was done until Cata. Sub expired yesterday, but I've been thinking about leveling a troll shaman (my first race / class back in vanilla) and I forgot to buy mail heirloom gear before the currency conversion.

Tamanon

Banned
OK, no PTR patch yet, but looks like the Cata Beta has entered the damage tweaking phase. New build there, probably not downloadable yet, but MMO-Champ has the info.

Minor racial tweaking, first pass:

Human
Perception is gone.

Undead
Cannibalize now also regenerates mana. (7% of total health and mana every 2 sec for 10 sec)

Tauren
Cultivation still increases your Herbalism skill by 15, but also lets you gather herbs faster than normal herbalists.

Gnomes
Shortblade Specialization - Expertise with Daggers and One-Handed Swords increased by 3.

The new Cannibalize seems sick for leveling casters.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Tamanon said:
Human
Perception is gone.

Undead
Cannibalize now also regenerates mana. (7% of total health and mana every 2 sec for 10 sec)

Tauren
Cultivation still increases your Herbalism skill by 15, but also lets you gather herbs faster than normal herbalists.

Gnomes
Shortblade Specialization - Expertise with Daggers and One-Handed Swords increased by 3.
Why remove Perception all of the sudden?

Cannibalize with heirloom gear is pretty sweat if you can't heal yourself. Pretty much don't need food. +Mana is great.

Tacitus_ said:

You could have weird issues with Death Runes while using Blood Tap since the Blood Tapped rune stays as DR until BT runs out so if you had procced a DR from some other source, it would(could) revert to a normal rune.
Let's see if I understand this. Reaping and Blood of the North could have a problem with Blood Tap because all three convert blood runes to death runes? Since I only have Death Rune Mastery in my spec, which only converts unholy and frost to DR, I shouldn't have to worry about canceling Blood Taps DR?

Sciz

Blizzard said:
# Don't Want No Zombies on My Lawn - Survive 25 waves on the Endless Mode of Peacebloom vs. Ghouls
# Bloom and Doom - Survive 100 waves on Endless Mode on the Peacebloom Vs. Ghouls quest.
:lol

Tacitus_

DeathNote said:
Let's see if I understand this. Reaping and Blood of the North could have a problem with Blood Tap because all three convert blood runes to death runes? Since I only have Death Rune Mastery in my spec, which only converts unholy and frost to DR, I shouldn't have to worry about canceling Blood Taps DR?

Haven't personally tested it with Death Rune Mastery, but Reaping definately bugged it out.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Hilarious. You can do almost 10000 DPS on the PTR by spamming Scorch (and Pyro when you get Hot Streak) :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom