• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rez said:
one of the things I still don't understand about WoW and its expansions:

Is Deathwing currently beatable? Is there a Deathwing boss instance?

Deathwing isn't currently in the game. If they follow their previous model, he will be the final boss of an instance that comes in the last major content patch of this expansion.

ToyMachine228 said:
Deathwing isn't currently in the game. If they follow their previous model, he will be the final boss of an instance that comes in the last major content patch of this expansion.

Hopefully an old god will be the final boss, preferably a hard mode like Sinestra.

Mairu

MattPeters said:
Not quite. We dont have Al'Akir, Nefarion,or Cho'gall down on heroic yet. (We are 10m, not 25)

Our plans for Sinestra last lockout didnt work out so well. :\
What's your take on the balancing for heroic 10m? We're 4/13 (H) on 25man but it seems like our most limiting factor on advancing is due to people making dumb mistakes rather than the encounters being too difficult. We were working on Omnotron in specific last week but failed mostly due to people making continuous mistakes (attacking during shield, BREAKING SHIELD AHHH, missing interrupts). I'm curious as to what your opinion is on heroic 10 man as I've heard some say a lot of heroic bosses are pretty overtuned for 10 man.

J-Rzez

ToyMachine228 said:

Poor Halion, nobody liked him... lol

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I finally just got to Northrend. Man the quests already seem a lot better than Outlands. And damn these greens are really upstaging my blues at the very beginning.

Anything I should know about Northrend, my first time being there? Tips?

Also this asshole is the new Warchief? There better be some life changing things that happened in Northrend for Thrall to choose him as the next Warchief.

Saurfang is awesome.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Trojita said:
I finally just got to Northrend. Man the quests already seem a lot better than Outlands. And damn these greens are really upstaging my blues at the very beginning.

Also this asshole is the new Warchief? There better be some life changing things that happened in Northrend for Thrall to choose him as the next Warchief.

Saurfang is awesome.

Nope, he's still an asshole by the end of Northrend(doubt you'll even see him during your questing outside of Borean Tundra in Warsong Hold, unless you check the Argent Tournament in Icecrown, which is pretty ignored now unless you want some mounts or companions)

Ferrio

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
Hopefully an old god will be the final boss, preferably a hard mode like Sinestra.

I'm pretty much sure an old god will be the final, the one that corrupted deathwing. Especially since it's name was announced at last blizzcon i believe.

I spam that I'm selling twilight jasmine, cinderbloom, and hearblossom and get a tell that says

"how much are you selling the flowers for?"

smh

Mairu said:
What's your take on the balancing for heroic 10m? We're 4/13 (H) on 25man but it seems like our most limiting factor on advancing is due to people making dumb mistakes rather than the encounters being too difficult. We were working on Omnotron in specific last week but failed mostly due to people making continuous mistakes (attacking during shield, BREAKING SHIELD AHHH, missing interrupts). I'm curious as to what your opinion is on heroic 10 man as I've heard some say a lot of heroic bosses are pretty overtuned for 10 man.

What bosses have you heard that are overtuned? Just out of curiosity. Also, Im a retard and forgot to list Chimaeron/Maloriak as bosses we havnt done yet on heroic. We are 6/13H. Please forgive my retardation WoW-GAF.

Mairu

MattPeters said:
What bosses have you heard that are overtuned? Just out of curiosity. Also, Im a retard and forgot to list Chimaeron/Maloriak as bosses we havnt done yet on heroic. We are 6/13H. Please forgive my retardation WoW-GAF.
I heard Maloriak on 10man heroic is pretty tough w/the enrage timer as it is and that obivously Al'akir is a large hurdle. I'm not too familiar with 10 man stuff mostly though, just going off what friends in other guilds have told me

Mairu

MattPeters said:
Maloriak is very hard.

I dont like the word overtuned, just unforgiving lol
25man heroic Maloriak was difficult to learn at the start but mostly became just waiting for people to learn when to/not to interrupt

Trojita said:

I find the tuskarr super-adorable, and (since you're Horde) the Taunka quests that start in Borean Tundra and carry over into Dragonblight super-rad. Otherwise, not much to say -- the content is a lot more even than Outland so it's harder to say "yeah, definitely don't do X" or anything.

ToyMachine228 said:
Of Cataclysm or of WoW? Like the final expansion?

Of Cataclysm. Sargeras will definitely be the final boss of WoW.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Have Blizzard commented on how many expansions WoW "has left", or is it more of a "we'll make them until people stop playing them" type deal? Level 100, or another three expansions seems like the obvious full stop.

markot

Banned
I think they were planning on 100 cap. But I doubt they will pull the plug on the game if its still hugely profitable.

Everquest is still powering on and making money.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Rez said:
Have Blizzard commented on how many expansions WoW "has left", or is it more of a "we'll make them until people stop playing them" type deal? Level 100, or another three expansions seems like the obvious full stop.
They will make them until they stop making boatloads of money. Any "plans" for a level cap were thrown off by the change from 10 new levels to 5 new levels for game balance.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Everquest has had what... 17 expansions since 1999 the latest being 2010?

I just don't see how you can end a successful MMO that has at least a few million subscribers. There will surely be making a nice amount of money in 5+ years. Do they just say "that's the end of the line"?

If they send it off with a bang using an ultimate end boss of sorts, I can see that sparking interest and people wanting more.

Should there be an actual WOW 2 where your mounts and stuff transfer over?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I think the next frontier isn't WoW2 on PC, at least, not for a loooooooong time, but more along the times of something for consoles/handhelds.

The old god will probably be N'Zoth, I think there's some hints that he's buried at the bottom of the ocean.

I don't think Deathwing will be the end boss, going up against the Old God who drove him nuts should be a more epic finale than going up against a messed up Dragon Aspect (already did that with Malygos).

They should end WoW at level 100 or something, I don't see how they can keep stretching the game mechanics this long.

dimb

Rez said:
I think the next frontier isn't WoW2 on PC, at least, not for a loooooooong time, but more along the times of something for consoles/handhelds.
Tell me you're joking. Please.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Dance In My Blood said:
Tell me you're joking. Please.
Not as a replacement for the PC MMO experience. Something totally different, with MMO qualities for a console audience that works alongside something like WOW.

It seems like a rich stream of money just waiting to be tapped by someone who has the money to actually get a quality product off the ground running.

I mean, WoW2 could be cool, but where can they go with it? Prettier graphics of the same parts of the WoW universe? Quest design that completely leaves traditional kill X quests behind?

I don't know. It just doesn't seem sensible. But what would I know. Ive played about one month of an MMO, ever. I'm not pretending to be an authorty on this subject.

dimb

Rez said:
Not as a replacement for the PC MMO experience. Something totally different, with MMO qualities for a console audience that works alongside something like WOW.

It seems like a rich stream of money just waiting to be tapped by someone who has the money to actually get a quality product off the ground running.

I mean, WoW2 could be cool, but where can they go with it? Prettier graphics of the same parts of the WoW universe? Quest design that completely leaves traditional kill X quests behind?

I don't know. It just doesn't seem sensible. But what would I know. Ive played about one month of an MMO, ever. I'm not pretending to be an authorty on this subject.
The extended play experience is just better suited to a PC. If WoW came out on console instead of PC it wouldn't be half the game it is today.

Having an internet browser open just to browse stuff while you wait is like, mandatory in WoW. So is outside music after you've heard everything in the game 20 times. So are community mods (you should check these out if you haven't yet). So is just general player/player communication, and not enough people voice chat even on consoles for this to work.

The MMO is a PC experience. Blizzard is a PC developer. It would just be dumb to release these on the consoles, especially with the restrictions on updates console manufacturers have created.

Blizzard's "leaked" schedule shows at least two more WoW expansions before Titan hits. Once that hits, who knows what the plan is.

Any other guilds out there getting an extremely high amount of mail drops? We literally get one piece of mail on every boss kill. We're 9/12. 10-man guild. It's beginning to get frustrating.

markot

Banned
Titan is meant to be an mmofps though, different markets and they can live side by side.

Im guessing it really depends on what they want to do with warcraft. Eventually they will probably release a new wow, new engine, new gameplay... etc... but I hope its set like in a different era 100-200 years in the future from present warcraft time, then maybe they can keep the 2 running if they have to.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
We made some new Auction House carpeting;

179281_489656582260_204475582260_6471604_366926_n.jpg

Rez said:

The only official comment we ever saw was that they had ideas for "twelve to fifteen" expansions, IIRC (basically in response to a question about "well, what's left after Outland?")

In terms of actual, concrete business plans, the leaked schedule had two more expansions listed on it, so I think you can feel confident it'll last for at least that long.

DeathNote said:
Should there be an actual WOW 2 where your mounts and stuff transfer over?

MMO sequels are always huge disasters. People don't want to give up the ages of effort they've put into their old characters, so most of 'em just don't bother to switch.

Plus, I mean, if there were a WoW 2 it'd still just be set in the same Azeroth. It's not like FFXIV or something where they can carry over the overall feel of the game while setting it in a brand-new world.

Honestly, rather than a real WoW 2, I think they'll just expand on the Cataclysm model and revamp the game again.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
charlequin said:
The only official comment we ever saw was that they had ideas for "twelve to fifteen" expansions, IIRC (basically in response to a question about "well, what's left after Outland?")

In terms of actual, concrete business plans, the leaked schedule had two more expansions listed on it, so I think you can feel confident it'll last for at least that long.

MMO sequels are always huge disasters. People don't want to give up the ages of effort they've put into their old characters, so most of 'em just don't bother to switch.

Plus, I mean, if there were a WoW 2 it'd still just be set in the same Azeroth. It's not like FFXIV or something where they can carry over the overall feel of the game while setting it in a brand-new world.

Honestly, rather than a real WoW 2, I think they'll just expand on the Cataclysm model and revamp the game again.
But if WOW ends you give up the ages of effort. What do we do? Just log in every so often with no more raids to show people that are level 40/200 that we have a rare mount they can never get?

I'd like to see WOW in current gen console graphics with new bosses and game play.

dimb

charlequin said:
The problem is that they can't revamp everything. The game always has to be somewhat playable by the old playerbase, so a complete engine revamp or something isn't really likely, possible, or economically worthwhile. The limitations of the engine are just so apparent now, especially when applied to old world content. There is only so much you can revamp.

It's not like the layout of Azeroth zones are set in stone either. Most of it was Blizzard just kind of winging it. I don't see a continuation of the Warcraft series going back to the RTS model, but rather being a new MMO in an entirely reworked world with a much improved engine that can completely change the game mechanics. Of course that would be something for the distant future.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
The problem is that they can't revamp everything. The game always has to be somewhat playable by the old playerbase, so a complete engine revamp or something isn't really likely, possible, or economically worthwhile. The limitations of the engine are just so apparent now, especially when applied to old world content. There is only so much you can revamp.

It's not like the layout of Azeroth zones are set in stone either. Most of it was Blizzard just kind of winging it. I don't see a continuation of the Warcraft series going back to the RTS model, but rather being a new MMO in an entirely reworked world with a much improved engine that can completely change the game mechanics. Of course that would be something for the distant future.
I'd like to see our gear and mount models in a reworked world.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Done each 80-85 zone three times.

Hyjal>Deepholm>Vashj'ir>Uldum>Twilight Highlands

Uldum and Twilight's quests are all over the place, have bad cut scenes you can't skip over, and lame gun/bomb missions.

I thought Twilight Highlands, except for each factions questlines to open it, was amazing. Probably the only part I didn't truly like was all the running around getting kegs for dwarves on alliiance side.

Hyjal does a great job making you feel like the hero everyone is looking to. The entire experience is capped off nicely by the graduation speech on through to fighting ragnaros.

Deepholm just felt like a put-your-back-into-it grind, but a good one. No complaints about the area.

Uldum is an area I can't seem to love. Especially if you play it at level and not when you're capped. There's either a famine of mobs that you need for a quest or an overload of them, as well. The only part of the area I really liked was "I'M A MANATAUR!!!" which put me into laughing fits.

Vash'jir is pretty enough, but I couldn't stand the place. The minimap, world map and quest trackers were not made for 3D questing at all and that made a lot of the area a pain. I also didn't like having to watch my ass on all three axes. That got old really fast. Of all my 85s, I only put one of them through Vash'jir. The rest I raced to the seahorse mount, then only ever went back for the earthen ring quartermaster.

notworksafe

Anyone else having an issue where the launcher is always showing when you launch the game? I have the "Show Launcher" box unchecked, and it's not updating because it always says "World of Warcraft is up to date". Mac version, btw.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Twilight Highlands is horrible. You're already 85 if you do all of the other zones for rep related reasons, so it feels like over time to begin with. After you get loremaster you do 20+ quests in the southwestern purple area and it's double overtime without much payoff. 333 blue that I already had a blue in. The final battle is a pushover. So was Ragnaros, but it's a nice nostalgia. There's probably what, 5-7 pushover names mobs/elites clumped together as well?

Everything in between... The coolest looking place, Krazzworks, has very little quests there. None of the mobs pay attention to you. The second part of the Krazzworks is meh bombing missions at Highbank for the Horde.

The tentacle asshole was nothing special and actually bugged out on my too much. The dragon stuff was lame.

No effort involved in pushing your way to Grim Batrol. Forced to run on your feet while your posse kills everything.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Twig said:
I'm just angry that if I ever make an alt, I'll have to go back to Vash.

Worst zone in the entire game. Eurgh.
Vash is way better than Uldum. In uldum you're stuck in multiple lame cut scenes and have that ground troop bombing quest that takes forever to complete. You zig zag all over the zone. In Vash you fly through it quick and linear.

Bisnic

Twig said:
I'm just angry that if I ever make an alt, I'll have to go back to Vash.

Worst zone in the entire game. Eurgh.

Solution : Go to Hyjal instead.

Problem solved!

All you would need to do is like the first 10 or so quests for the seahorse mount, just so you can quickly swim to the ER quartermaster.

The only thing i really like about Vashjir is its music. It fits perfectly with the zone.

Twig

Banned
Bisnic said:
Solution : Go to Hyjal instead.

Problem solved!

All you would need to do is like the first 10 or so quests for the seahorse mount, just so you can quickly swim to the ER quartermaster.

The only thing i really like about Vashjir is its music. It fits perfectly with the zone.
One quest is too many. Ten quests is ten times too many!

dimb

DeathNote said:
Vash is way better than Uldum. In uldum you're stuck in multiple lame cut scenes and have that ground troop bombing quest that takes forever to complete. You zig zag all over the zone. In Vash you fly through it quick and linear.
My problem with Uldum is that it just seems rushed. The cutscenes are all really poorly done and don't even have voice acting. I mean Blizzard's VA work is usually terrible but c'mon, give me at least something here.

The only *really* bad thing about Twilight Highlands (for Horde at least) was the keg destroying and food pickup stuff. Thankfully Blizzard in their infinite wisdom decided to make the two worst quests in the entire zone into dailies.

Otherwise it was just a kind of normal zone, nothing special. I hated it when doing it mostly because 84-85 is too damn long, so I spent like 6 hours there in a row.

Bisnic

Dance In My Blood said:
My problem with Uldum is that it just seems rushed. The cutscenes are all really poorly done and don't even have voice acting. I mean Blizzard's VA work is usually terrible but c'mon, give me at least something here.

Eh, it could be worst. Uldum could have gotten has much attention as the "new" Silithus or Arathi Highlands.

Twig

Banned
cuevas said:
Heroics! I got exalted in a few days for the epic gloves. I got friendly just doing the intro quest to the zone.
Yeah, but I don't have the endurance you people have for heroics. I've already DONE the grind once. I don't want to do it again. I shouldn't HAVE to. (Actually, I haven't for Earthen Ring, as they have literally nothing I need for warrior. But I've done it for three and a half others.)

I'll just not get alt to that level. Problem solved!

wonderdung said:
The only *really* bad thing about Twilight Highlands (for Horde at least) was the keg destroying and food pickup stuff. Thankfully Blizzard in their infinite wisdom decided to make the two worst quests in the entire zone into dailies.
Those quests are ridiculously easy, fast, and best of all, encourage PvP.

Nothing to complain about.

dimb

wonderdung said:

Otherwise it was just a kind of normal zone, nothing special. I hated it when doing it mostly because 84-85 is too damn long, so I spent like 6 hours there in a row.
These dailies are great on Alliance, for me at least.
So fast, so easy, pretty fun mixed with PvP and the damage buff, and there's enough of them.

Uldum dailies are my other problem with the zone. There are only two, one is great and the other is the worst.

Twig

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
These dailies are great on Alliance, for me at least.
So fast, so easy, pretty fun mixed with PvP and the damage buff, and there's enough of them.

Uldum dailies are my other problem with the zone. There are only two, one is great and the other is the worst.
Yeah, it's awful. Buggy as shit, too. Only TWO of the groups actually spawn regularly, the rest are "there" but unkillable. And when you have more than one person doing it, it's a race to get the one group that is up, and hope they don't start walking too fast or they'll walk right past your bomb and

WORST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom