• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Dance In My Blood said:
These dailies are great on Alliance, for me at least.
So fast, so easy, pretty fun mixed with PvP and the damage buff, and there's enough of them.

Uldum dailies are my other problem with the zone. There are only two, one is great and the other is the worst.

The only problem with the Uldum catapult daily is that its often bugged. You see groups not moving at all. You target them, and when you finally hit them, it doesn't count and they are still standing.

Yet, if you target some random spot where the groups arent standing, you sometimes get credit. So... not only are the visible groups not real, the REAL groups are invisible.

Just... ugh. WHY.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Bisnic said:
The only problem with the Uldum catapult daily is that its often bugged. You see groups not moving at all. You target them, and when you finally hit them, it doesn't count and they are still standing.

Yet, if you target some random spot where the groups arent standing, you sometimes get credit. So... not only are the visible groups not real, the REAL groups are invisible.

Just... ugh. WHY.
It's not even just that. The process is like shooting at ants with pebbles from across the driveway. Everything is just a bunch of tiny specks on my screen. Who would this ever be fun to?

Bisnic said:

Just... ugh. WHY.
That's a fucking daily? I hated doing it once, good thing I swore off dailies in BC.

J-Rzez

ToyMachine228 said:
Blizzard's "leaked" schedule shows at least two more WoW expansions before Titan hits. Once that hits, who knows what the plan is.

Any other guilds out there getting an extremely high amount of mail drops? We literally get one piece of mail on every boss kill. We're 9/12. 10-man guild. It's beginning to get frustrating.

All mail, or all holy pally gear... that's it and that's all that drops for us usually. Other drops are a rarity.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
DeathNote said:
Done each 80-85 zone three times.

Hyjal>Deepholm>Vashj'ir>Uldum>Twilight Highlands

Uldum and Twilight's quests are all over the place, have bad cut scenes you can't skip over, and lame gun/bomb missions.
I didn't get that far into the Twilight Highlands so I can't comment on that, but I agree that Hyjal was the most fun for me. Cool story, varied environments, a fantastic line of quests and it was when I geared up from WotLK gear so it was when I really started feeling and appreciating my loot.

Deepholm is, like, 2/3rds quality. One of those pillar shards is hidden behind a whole lot of crappy, boring, grindy quests. But in all I really liked it.

I didn't have major problems with Uldum. In fact, the more I think about it the more I liked it. I really dug the design of Ramaken's quests and the Dig quest hub to the south was really fun.

So I guess for me it's

Hyjal > Uldum > Deepholm > Vash

Vash was decent, but things like dipping into the giant sea turtle well twice kind of cheapened the initial impact.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I figure that there is at least 3 expansions in the works each bringing the level cap up 5 levels, which will end up at lvl 100.

One of the things they could do is rework all of the player models to bring them up to par with Cata's look. They could add new looks like the brown-red Orc's from Outland as an option.

dimb

Trojita said:
I figure that there is at least 3 expansions in the works each bringing the level cap up 5 levels, which will end up at lvl 100.

One of the things they could do is rework all of the player models to bring them up to par with Cata's look. They could add new looks like the brown-red Orc's from Outland as an option.
Face tattoos are greatly needed for dwarves.

Twig

Banned
Trojita said:

YES.

If I could be a Dragonmaw or Mag'har orc, I might actually pay for an appearance change on my hunter.

Twig

Banned
DeathNote said:
Why? More options can't hurt but I've never seen any fantasy Dwarf with tats.
I think I've seen Warcraft dwarf art showing tattoos before (for some reason I think of the Wildhammer clan), and I KNOW I've seen Warhammer dwarves with tattoos.

Rapstah said:
Dragon Age dwarves have tattoos, I don't think there's any basis for non-Shaman dwarves to have them in the WoW universe.
RUNEMASTERS.

But that would be every race. Tauren especially. :3

EDIT: Looks like I was right.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Wildhammer_clan#Appearance

dimb

Rapstah said:
Dragon Age dwarves have tattoos, I don't think there's any basis for non-Shaman dwarves to have them in the WoW universe.
Wildhammer dwarves have tattoos all over the place.

It's illogical for Blizzard to not have options to be Dark Iron or Wildhammer dwarves because they're all under a single banner now.

Twig

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
Wildhammer dwarves have tattoos all over the place.

It's illogical for Blizzard to not have options to be Dark Iron or Wildhammer dwarves because they're all under a single banner now.
Dark Iron are, too? Really? Weren't they the "bad guys"?

Well, I guess there's Thorium Brotherhood, but they're neutral to both Horde and Alliance. I though Wildhammer allied with the Alliance but not part OF the Alliance, but maybe that changed in Twilight Highlands, like the Dragonmaw with the Horde, I dunno.

Rapstah

Wildhammer dwarves are just as much in the Alliance as they've been since the game released and Dark Iron ones are just as much not in it as they've been since it released. Moira's just their representative in IF, they've had Alliance-friendly NPCs in IF since launch. "Dark Iron embassy" right next to the throne room.

dimb

Rapstah said:
Wildhammer dwarves are just as much in the Alliance as they've been since the game released and Dark Iron ones are just as much not in it as they've been since it released. Moira's just their representative in IF, they've had Alliance-friendly NPCs in IF since launch. "Dark Iron embassy" right next to the throne room.
While still independent as a faction in that they don't really report to anybody, the Wildhammer are still part of the Alliance. This fact is pretty much on every Dwarf page on Wowwiki, so I'm going to just use that as evidence.

The "representatives" in IF are much more meaningful than you're making them out to be. The rule the Kingdom of Ironforge as a group, and no one part has more say than the others. The fact that they are even there with representation would imply that the Council of Three Hammers makes decisions for them, and that by defacto they are part of The Alliance.

Look how much more awesome this is than regular dwarves:
q3XrT.jpg

Weenerz

Banned
Twig said:
Dark Iron are, too? Really? Weren't they the "bad guys"?

Well, I guess there's Thorium Brotherhood, but they're neutral to both Horde and Alliance. I though Wildhammer allied with the Alliance but not part OF the Alliance, but maybe that changed in Twilight Highlands, like the Dragonmaw with the Horde, I dunno.

They aren't the bad guys anymore since Magni turned into a diamond and his daughter came out of BRD to take part of the throne. There are friendly dark iron dwarves now.

Bisnic

Weenerz said:
They aren't the bad guys anymore since Magni turned into a diamond and his daughter came out of BRD to take part of the throne. There are friendly dark iron dwarves now.

If you do the quests in Dun Morogh, some of them are still fighting against the IF dwarves on the airport. But i think their leader was some Twilight traitor or something and that Magni's daughter was against it.

Rapstah

Dance In My Blood said:
While still independent as a faction in that they don't really report to anybody, the Wildhammer are still part of the Alliance.
But I was saying that.

EDIT: I don't have a clue about the subject by the way.

Twig

Banned
Man I watched a video of Tera and then I played WoW and I wanted to puke it was so ugly, despite its great art. Maybe Tera will be a good game and maybe not, but it just looks so pretty.

When I first started Cataclysm I was like "yeah okay this is good!" but more and more its OLDNESS slaps me in the face and I just want a better-looking game.

Weenerz said:
Ah, interesting. I haven't played Alliance since vanilla, so I'm going off of mostly hazy memory, heh.

dimb

Rapstah said:
But I was saying that.

EDIT: I don't have a clue about the subject by the way.
Yeah sorry, misinterpreted that. More than anything it would have been weird to have Wildhammer/Dark Iron before starting in the IF zone in old WoW, now it makes sense given that they're on the Council of Three Hammers so they might as well just include skins for them.

Twig said:
Those quests are ridiculously easy, fast, and best of all, encourage PvP.

Nothing to complain about.

Not sure if you play Horde, but I find those particular quests really annoying. Exploding the kegs puts you in combat with whatever mobs happen to be around, even if the Horde NPCs have full aggro on them, so you can't just mount and fly to the next one. Your choices are... sit there and kill the mobs, run around and find another keg, which will aggro 4 more of them, or try to run far enough away that you drop combat.

There never seem to be enough kegs up either. Takes me 10-15 minutes to do that daily every time, and I've never seen an Alliance doing it at the same time.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Twig said:
Those quests are ridiculously easy, fast, and best of all, encourage PvP.

Nothing to complain about.
This was my experience: Bust a keg, some how get a 2 mobs on me. By the time I kill them have more spawn. Eventually have 5 on me at one and have the same faction ninjaing the food and keg respawns behind my back.

They are shit quests and not fast at all.

On a PVP server I can see people going for nodes before they help pvp or help with NPC.Every man for yourself conflicts.

Entropia

No One Remembers
DeathNote said:
who is this with 5 measly blog posts?

edit: oh it's you :lol

I've been wanting to find blogs dedicated to various classes and specs. Really disliking elitist jerks these days.

Yeah, that's my blog. I started it up around when Cata came out, I didn't make any posts in January... gonna get more active on it now that I'll be raiding. :p

vehn said:
He doesn't know what he's talking about in some areas, not to mention poor grammar

Care to tell me what areas I don't know what I'm talking about?

As for the grammar, I just type it up, post and then read it through and correct anything.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
20 vs 23k doesn't seem that much of a difference. On the PTR I never got below 90% mana using thunderstorm every time I could. I was in that provided spirit gear tho. A few k off seems like a nice trade for a pickle healer. Didn't blizz say they wanted hybrids to do that at some point?

Entropia

No One Remembers
DeathNote said:
20 vs 23k doesn't seem that much of a difference. On the PTR I never got below 90% mana using thunderstorm every time I could. I was in that provided spirit gear tho. A few k off seems like a nice trade for a pickle healer. Didn't blizz say they wanted hybrids to do that at some point?

Blizzard nerfed offspec healing HARD. Back in Wrath if I wanted to heal myself I could easily afford the mana and have it be worth the cast. Now, the return is nill.

For the typical Elemental Shaman who's gear is spirit only to the hit cap, once you get into a fight you'll see that your mana may not be completely gone but it is in a rather uncomfortable point.

Twig

Banned
wonderdung said:
Not sure if you play Horde,
I do.
but I find those particular quests really annoying. Exploding the kegs puts you in combat with whatever mobs happen to be around, even if the Horde NPCs have full aggro on them, so you can't just mount and fly to the next one. Your choices are... sit there and kill the mobs, run around and find another keg, which will aggro 4 more of them, or try to run far enough away that you drop combat.
I do not have this problem. At most, it aggros one, and I kill it in 10 seconds and move on. Bonus: I get insignias for killing them, too!
There never seem to be enough kegs up either. Takes me 10-15 minutes to do that daily every time, and I've never seen an Alliance doing it at the same time.
It takes me 15-20 minutes to do all of them and that's INCLUDING the time I take to gank whatever Alliance fuck decided he should be allowed to take my food.

Except druids. FUCK DRUIDS and their FUCKING FLIGHT FORM BULLSHIT RRAAAAAAGHHHHHHGHGH

Still, though, I got exalted with Dragonmaw before any of the other reps. I no longer do those dailies. Maybe it's gotten worse... somehow...

vehn

Like you saying how you go OOM a bunch, which I've found to be near impossible unless chain earthquake on trash packs. And you say you need to worry about mana efficiency and what stats to prepare for that, when mana efficiency isn't a problem at all.

That was mainly it. I've only done 10m maloriak, and that only has three phases of aoe adds, so you still shouldn't run out of mana at all.

Entropia

No One Remembers
vehn said:
Like you saying how you go OOM a bunch, which I've found to be near impossible unless chain earthquake on trash packs. And you say you need to worry about mana efficiency and what stats to prepare for that, when mana efficiency isn't a problem at all.

That was mainly it. I've only done 10m maloriak, and that only has three phases of aoe adds, so you still shouldn't run out of mana at all.

The only fight I go absolutely OOM for is Maloriak, because of the use of Earthquake.

Otherwise, the mana that we're getting returned from rolling thunder vs. the mana going out from casting usually favors the latter which in an extended fight can cause problems.

This also depends if you're dealing with adds or need to use CL.

Finally got a chance to raid with the guild. The MT couldn't make it so I tanked the BWD 25 man. First week the guild has been doing 25 man in fact; yesterday they killed Omnotron Defense System. Two shotted Magmaw, then started Maloriak. I was on the boss initially, but the off tank was failing with the adds so they switched me with him. Perfect situation: not only does the guild MT not show up, but the off tank screws up enough to make the raid leader test me out in his spot. I thought I did good: no one was complaining about getting hit, I was kiting like a pro etc (Heroic Leap comes in handy here). Buut eventually the amount of adds constantly became overwhelming and I'd die.

After a wipes and a horribly long wait for one player to finish a phone call, we decided to put two tanks on the adds - one on each side. Healing seemed to stabilize, but during the second green phase I wound up dying as we AOE'd them down. People were tired/upset after that so the raid leader called it.

Definitely think we'll get it easily next time with two tanks on adds. All the how-to videos I saw were for 10 man, so I was expecting nine adds at the most, which I could just stun and kite until the green phase. But we were getting a shit ton more.

at least I got some tank boots from Magmaw lol

PhoenixDark said:
Finally got a chance to raid with the guild. The MT couldn't make it so I tanked the BWD 25 man. First week the guild has been doing 25 man in fact; yesterday they killed Omnotron Defense System. Two shotted Magmaw, then started Maloriak. I was on the boss initially, but the off tank was failing with the adds so they switched me with him. Perfect situation: not only does the guild MT not show up, but the off tank screws up enough to make the raid leader test me out in his spot. I thought I did good: no one was complaining about getting hit, I was kiting like a pro etc (Heroic Leap comes in handy here). Buut eventually the amount of adds constantly became overwhelming and I'd die.

After a wipes and a horribly long wait for one player to finish a phone call, we decided to put two tanks on the adds - one on each side. Healing seemed to stabilize, but during the second green phase I wound up dying as we AOE'd them down. People were tired/upset after that so the raid leader called it.

Definitely think we'll get it easily next time with two tanks on adds. All the how-to videos I saw were for 10 man, so I was expecting nine adds at the most, which I could just stun and kite until the green phase. But we were getting a shit ton more.

Umm, you get to choose the amount of adds you have on Maloriak by interrupting this spell.

funkmastergeneral said:
Umm, you get to choose the amount of adds you have on Maloriak by interrupting this spell.

Yea, we had a shaman interrupting it to produce 9 adds but nearly every try was bogged down by more and more adds as the fight progressed.

Trojita said:
Yes, this is really necesarry. I tried playing on Alliance a couple of days ago, but none of the races are something i want to play with. The original four have terrible character models and look horribly out of place (same with the Horde), those Draenei are an acquired taste i guess, and Worgen, thanks to the sniffing and their walking animation, are not things i can deal with all the time. I do really like the human models of the Worgen, but hey, you cant play in that form permanently. :(

Also, Blizzard needs to just let every race be every class. Those limitations are just stupid. I dont care if it breaks lore to have a Blood elf druid or a goblin paladin. I just want to play a druid but not have to deal with a troll or tauren character. :(

C.Dark.DN

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Yea, we had a shaman interrupting it to produce 9 adds but nearly every try was bogged down by more and more adds as the fight progressed.
Doesn't seem hard to control. Perhaps the shaman didn't interrupt during the green phase

Been looking at diff strats, this seems the best:

interupt the frist abberation cast he does (red/blue)
let the next 3 through ( red/blue)

keep interupting in green.

interupt his 1st abberation cast after green ( red/blue)
let the next 3 through (red/blue)

use curse of tongues/ necrotic strike to slow cast speed and make abberations easier to interupt.

we use hero in the second green phase so we can blitz straight through to release all minions then use traps to kite anythign left over and stomp the boss in the face
tho it seems like he can cast it 5 times before a green sometimes?

Mairu

PhoenixDark said:

Shield Wall or get a Guardian Spirit for the green phase

If you're getting more than 9 adds at a time the interrupts aren't doing their job, make sure to have a backup in case the interrupt has to run away or gets frozen during the blue phase (this might only be during heroic though, tbh I don't remember if anything other than the absence of the dark phase is much different on normal)

PhoenixDark said:

We use 3 tanks on 25, and it works fine. That's probably the easiest option - don't need to kite that way. Magmaw's boots are worse than the rep ones for most (if not all) tanks though, unless you can't put yourself through the grind to exalted.

HarryHengst said:
Yes, this is really necesarry. I tried playing on Alliance a couple of days ago, but none of the races are something i want to play with. The original four have terrible character models and look horribly out of place (same with the Horde), those Draenei are an acquired taste i guess, and Worgen, thanks to the sniffing and their walking animation, are not things i can deal with all the time. I do really like the human models of the Worgen, but hey, you cant play in that form permanently. :(

Play a human? I don't think the human forms of the Worgen have a higher resolution than the regular humans. The other characteristics are all available to humans. Worgen are the only Alliance race I think I could play as now, except maybe a Draenei.

And if you don't like Tauren or Trolls to play as for druids, I don't know what to say to you.

In other news, guild got Ascendant Council 25 man down tonight - Cho'Gall on Monday, while 10s tackle Chimaeron, (maybe) Nefarian, and Throne.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
As I add more and more alts I find myself willing to choose races I never would have a few years ago.

There's pretty much only one hair and face combo I like for each sex and I wind up not wanting more than 1 or 2 of the same race. I have always disliked female Gnome, Dwarf, Troll, and Orc tho.

But, I could do 1 of each race.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
PhoenixDark said:
two things:

a) the adds HAVE TO HAVE TO HAVE TO die during the green phase. Not almost dead. not near dead. Not "ooohh only 1 left with 100K HP". Dead. If not, during the next red and blue phases they get the 99% damage reduction and will not die and add on top of the other adds you have to release during that cycle. 100% of DPS should be on adds during green. Only person that should have Maloriak targeted is the MT. Also it is extremely important to try and tank Maloriak away from the adds during green, even though he jumps right in the middle of them and is a bitch to move.
b) he casts release aberration once during the green phase. You will either need to catch it or count it as your next add rotation. We usually catch it otherwise it confuses some people that adds are "still up" when the phase ends and they sit there trying to burn them after the phase switches not realizing they are doing no damage to the adds.

the only "hard" boss for us this tier has been chimaeron. We downed him this week (and maloriak the same night right after.. like two shots) and he was still a pain. Our healers finally got on the game of healing during the bot phase (we always did fine during feud, unless people were dead before feud started thus increasing our damage during it). Our new obstacle for about 2-3 pulls this week was WHEN the last phase starts. it took us 2-3 pulls to realize we REALLY have to watch our DPS around 20M. If we are at 22-24M and there is a massacre coming up, we need to lay off DPS until after the massacre, because if we keep DPS up, the bot goes offline, and then he goes to the final phase with us clumped up...... yeah.. so basically the coordinator calls out to lay off DPS shortly before massacre, if bot goes offline there is ZERO DPS during feud, and if bot doesn't go offline get in position for final phase and go into burn phase immediately.

as a mage we found what works best for us is to hit invis right away, then drop MI immediately. it pretty much guarantees we are the very last on his threat table for the rest of the fight. actually in that regard this fight is VERY mage friendly. There were like 6-8 people left alive when he died, and three of us were mages.

borghe said:
actually in that regard this fight is VERY mage friendly. There were like 6-8 people left alive when he died, and three of us were mages.

The fight is also pretty damn Paladin healer friendly too as far as the last phase goes. With Righteous Fury up the only people above the Paladins in threat should be the tanks. Several "free" deaths that let the DPS do their thing.

Trasher

borghe said:
two things:

a) the adds HAVE TO HAVE TO HAVE TO die during the green phase. Not almost dead. not near dead. Not "ooohh only 1 left with 100K HP". Dead. If not, during the next red and blue phases they get the 99% damage reduction and will not die and add on top of the other adds you have to release during that cycle. 100% of DPS should be on adds during green. Only person that should have Maloriak targeted is the MT. Also it is extremely important to try and tank Maloriak away from the adds during green, even though he jumps right in the middle of them and is a bitch to move.
b) he casts release aberration once during the green phase. You will either need to catch it or count it as your next add rotation. We usually catch it otherwise it confuses some people that adds are "still up" when the phase ends and they sit there trying to burn them after the phase switches not realizing they are doing no damage to the adds.

the only "hard" boss for us this tier has been chimaeron. We downed him this week (and maloriak the same night right after.. like two shots) and he was still a pain. Our healers finally got on the game of healing during the bot phase (we always did fine during feud, unless people were dead before feud started thus increasing our damage during it). Our new obstacle for about 2-3 pulls this week was WHEN the last phase starts. it took us 2-3 pulls to realize we REALLY have to watch our DPS around 20M. If we are at 22-24M and there is a massacre coming up, we need to lay off DPS until after the massacre, because if we keep DPS up, the bot goes offline, and then he goes to the final phase with us clumped up...... yeah.. so basically the coordinator calls out to lay off DPS shortly before massacre, if bot goes offline there is ZERO DPS during feud, and if bot doesn't go offline get in position for final phase and go into burn phase immediately.

as a mage we found what works best for us is to hit invis right away, then drop MI immediately. it pretty much guarantees we are the very last on his threat table for the rest of the fight. actually in that regard this fight is VERY mage friendly. There were like 6-8 people left alive when he died, and three of us were mages.
Why is this extremely important? He takes extra damage as well during the green phase. We always tank him with the adds. Also, we one-shot him every week in case you are wondering. Is it different from 10 to 25 or something?

Bisnic

cuevas said:
There's already people freaking out about the Sun God, if they let this happen Lore freaks would commit suicide.

And anyway... can you really imagine gnome druids or tauren rogues?

Tacitus_

borghe said:
two things:

Meh, you can have a couple of adds up with low life in normal mode. The tank(s) can finish them somewhat easily since they can focus a low hp add with their single target attacks while their aoe is on CD.

Trasher said:
Why is this extremely important? He takes extra damage as well during the green phase. We always tank him with the adds. Also, we one-shot him every week in case you are wondering. Is it different from 10 to 25 or something?

He can get the buff the adds spread if something goes wrong.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Trasher said:
hmm.. reading around not quite sure why this was said. we usually just start moving him away to reduce damage to the MT but he never really moves completely away until the next vial anyway.

edit - I remember why... I do stand corrected, it's not absolutely critical. but the green vial does end BEFORE he runs back to the cauldron for the next vial, so there is a period of time in there where he gets Growth Catalyst. Not major, but definitely lowered DPS for a period on top of more damage to the MT.

Meh, you can have a couple of adds up with low life in normal mode. The tank(s) can finish them somewhat easily since they can focus a low hp add with their single target attacks while their aoe is on CD.
tanks can't kill even one add with Growth Catalyst up. Growth Catalyst adds 20% damage increase and damage reduction to each ally in range. However this is multiplicative, not additive. The standard release of 3 means each pack will have a multiplicative 72% damage increase and 99.2% damage reduction. If you have even one add up with 100K, the first add release buffs all adds to 107% damage increase and 99.84% damage reduction. by the time you get to 9 adds, you are normally at 415% damage increase on the OT. With that 10th unkillable add you are now at 519% damage increase for each add. Let two live and you are at 643% damage increase.

edit - above numbers are wrong for damage reduction. sorry. it would be 49.8% reduction per add release. still, with a 4th add up from the previous cycle the first release would be 59.14% reduction, and a 5th add would be 68.3% damage reduction. a tank doing 12K (which would be a chunk of change for a tank specced to handle the 400+% damage of the adds) would only be doing 4.9K against the 4 adds or 3.9K against 5 adds. if an add has 50K that gives the tank around 12 seconds to single target that add down.. before his damage reduction goes to 79% and the tank's effective DPS drops to 2.5K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom