• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
The Vashj'ir hate is laughable. I leveled three characters through every zone. There's a point where you care less about being guided on a rail, don't pay attention to the story line, and you just want to reach 85 as fast as possible. Vash is very fast and straight forward. You do the first area, half of the second, alternate between naga form and character, then do the last area. Hyjal and Vashj'ir are the only zones that can be summed up so cleanly. After you get geared out in Vashj'ir, doing Hyjal, one of the best zones, is hella fast. After doing both you out level and outgear Deepholm which is very fast as well. Then you get to Uldum. There are about 10-15 cutscenes you already seen that you cannot cancel out of. You zig zag around the zone a lot. You're foced to do that stupid bomb quest on the mountain. When you're finally finish it, you 85. Then there's Twilight Highlands... Intro, port, friendly, tabard, COC, GTFO.

Twig

Banned
Alternatively, you skip Vash entirely and remain happy instead of wanting to stab yourself in the throat and do naughty things to the wound.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Vash'jir is probably my favorite zone in the entire game. It's just so beautiful and different. And, despite what others may say, it works.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Brazil said:
Vash'jir is probably my favorite zone in the entire game. It's just so beautiful and different. And, despite what others may say, it works.
I think people would have been more receptive to it if it broke up when you did the zones instead of pushing you to go through all 3 at once.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Was Vash even significantly more dense, quest-wise, than the others? I feel like it didn't actually last that much longer than the standard zone.

dimb

Rez said:
Was Vash even significantly more dense, quest-wise, than the others? I feel like it didn't actually last that much longer than the standard zone.
For the achievement:
Vashj'ir is 160
Hyjal is 115
Deepholm is 125
Uldum is 108
Twilight Highlands is 120

Only Ice Crown comes close with 140.

Most Eastern Kingdom zones have about 40.
Kalimdor is all over the place between 90 and 19 (and clearly had the least amount of effort put into it).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I think the achievement actually goes off at 140, but yeah, fair point.

markot

Banned
I liked Vash, it was pretty good.

The beginning was abit slow though. And the finale felt abit.... well they should have just made it all a cinematic, cause you dont do anything >.<

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
keeblerdrow said:
No, it really isn't.
i liked vash, but i played it on my druid with glyphed aquatic form. combine that with the swimming zone buff and I was as fast as the underwater mount. insta cast, useable in combat

dimb

Rez said:
I think the achievement actually goes off at 140, but yeah, fair point.
It's 160, but there are still an extra bunch of quests after you hit 160 for some reason. Really poor implementation tbh.

Rokam

Worst thing about Vashj'ir was that stupid cave that you had to swim back to every time to turn in quests. The one with the sub. Even with the mount you still had to travel across half the zone to get there. And now whenever I port back to Vashj'ir it takes me to that stupid cave instead of the one with the rep vendor. Poor design.

DeathNote said:
The Vashj'ir hate is laughable. I leveled three characters through every zone. There's a point where I care less about being guided on a rail, don't pay attention to the story line, and I just want to reach 85 as fast as possible. Vash is very fast and straight forward. You do the first area, half of the second, alternate between naga form and character, then do the last area. Hyjal and Vashj'ir are the only zones that can be summed up so cleanly. After you get geared out in Vashj'ir, doing Hyjal, one of the best zones, is hella fast. After doing both you out level and outgear Deepholm which is very fast as well. Then you get to Uldum. There are about 10-15 cutscenes you already seen that you cannot cancel out of. You zig zag around the zone a lot. You're foced to do that stupid bomb quest on the mountain. When you're finally finish it, you 85. Then there's Twilight Highlands... Intro, port, friendly, tabard, COC, GTFO.

Fixed. I just care more than one facet of the leveling process, and a lack of options should not be justified by claustrophobic bottlenecks and buggy cutscenes from 1997 every 4 minutes.

Why did they re-use mine/cave models? They put all this work into different zones, instance caves, instances, but there's only a handful of old world cave/mine models.

I forget if Nethergarde Mines existed in badlands before cat, but it's the same as the Netherdrake SMV daily cave.

Same reason 3D modelers don't make a new skeleton or skin for different colored objects: it's a waste of money and time. Relatively few of us notice this, whereas eleventy billion Cataclysm Cloth Hood #2 reused 20 times tends to be more noticable.

I thought Vash was a cool zone for the fact that is was drastically different from other zones, however that said, it's length really made it wear on me to the point where by the end I couldn't wait to get out of there. I leveled a second character to 85 and completely skipped it. I'm going back to do a few quests there to get the mount and stuff so I can farm Azshara's Veil there but I'm not doing the whole zone. And don't really plan to ever again on any character.

Jrmint

DeathNote said:
Then there's Twilight Highlands... Intro, port, friendly, tabard, COC, GTFO.
You are way off base on this imo.

Twilight Highlands was one of my least favorite zones on my first playthrough, but after taking 2 more characters through it, it is great.

The only bad part of the zone is the initial quests you get when you get to Bloodgulch - blowing up kegs, stealing food, etc. Granted they are terrible, but everything else in the zone is top notch.

Additionally by questing through that zone you get a ton of 333 gear, and a ton of gold.

Just blowing off Twilight Highlands, imo, is a huge mistake.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
ToyMachine228 said:
I thought Vash was a cool zone for the fact that is was drastically different from other zones, however that said, it's length really made it wear on me to the point where by the end I couldn't wait to get out of there. I leveled a second character to 85 and completely skipped it. I'm going back to do a few quests there to get the mount and stuff so I can farm Azshara's Veil there but I'm not doing the whole zone. And don't really plan to ever again on any character.

I find that Tol Barad Peninsula is pretty good for Azshara Veil. They're all over the place in the water, and to the north where the Tank shark is, you can sometimes find 3-4 nodes.

Of course, if you are on a PVP server, it might be better to just go to Vashjir.

Dance In My Blood said:
It's 160, but there are still an extra bunch of quests after you hit 160 for some reason.

Zone Loremasters never actually make you do 100% of the quests in the zone because that would be obnoxious as hell. It's more like 85%.

Rapstah

I seem to remember Vashj'ir's quest achivement being wrong at launch. I finished the zone and was about 20 quests off, the next day I had been awarded the achievement. This might have been because of quests that didn't count or that the limit was too high.

J-Rzez

Brazil said:
Come on, guys. Vash'jir is awesome :(

Vash was even worse to me than the old vanilla Blasted Lands. Blizzard clearly thought of a gimmick and in traditional fashion, ran it straight into then through the ground. That zone dragged on and on and on... and wait for it, on. All while that gimmick seahorse mount, walking on the floor, both eating at your soul as especially melee having to work twice as hard to start beating on a mob (zomg lvling is caster friendly too like raiding/instancing lol). Then there were the cutscenes straight from a PS1 game, with epic fuck tons of clipping/glitching and glithy quests/mobs.

Vash was easily the worst experience I've ever had in WoW (Uldum/TH easily the best). Myself, people in guild, and /2, all basically skip Vash while leveling each time. My soul is finally starting to slowly recover from the damage done, but it's going to take time as all the recycled assets in the game are not helping out the healing process. :(

Bisnic

What i learn from this thread is that people love to exaggerate on a lot of shit. I did Vashjir with my mage, my warrior and my enh shaman and its not the horrible, glitched, hard to attack shit, etc. zone that some people QQ about here. The only glitch ive seen is that last quest in the submarine and that was on my 3rd character. You guys act like if Vashjir was a zone with no underwater breath, no swimming speed increased and no seahorse mount.

The only thing i hate is how the zone never seemed to end on my first try, but that was because i was actually reading the quests and didnt know where the cave entrances were.

And if you think Vashjir cutscenes were coming straight from PS1, i cant believe you love Uldum. The cutscenes in this zone have no voice acting and some stuff look stupid with the classic WoW animations. Im looking at you Harrison Jones trying to jump on a statue.

J-Rzez

Bisnic said:
And if you think Vashjir cutscenes were coming straight from PS1, i cant believe you love Uldum. The cutscenes in this zone have no voice acting and some stuff look stupid with the classic WoW animations. Im looking at you Harrison Jones trying to jump on a statue.

Well yeah, all their in-game cutscenes are insulting to see this day and age in gaming really, they just compounded the suck of Vash.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Bisnic said:
What i learn from this thread is that people love to exaggerate on a lot of shit. I did Vashjir with my mage, my warrior and my enh shaman and its not the horrible, glitched, hard to attack shit, etc. zone that some people QQ about here. The only glitch ive seen is that last quest in the submarine and that was on my 3rd character. You guys act like if Vashjir was a zone with no underwater breath, no swimming speed increased and no seahorse mount.

The only thing i hate is how the zone never seemed to end on my first try, but that was because i was actually reading the quests and didnt know where the cave entrances were.

Pretty much.

My playstyle was the same as land. Mount, tear through mobs, remount. Mining/herb nodes train you for this. There were quite a biit quests on the ground and when the mob is too close to mount but far enough to run the sea legs are very fast compared to walking on land.

Concerning the phased nodes:

I still have some rage over this. (It applies to fishing nodes too, if you didn't know, most apparent in Uldum.)

I don't get why having the nodes at their specific locations appearing in all phases seems to be something that Blizzard missed.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Just did some testing.

Assuming you go 100% of normal run speed on land and have the Mount Up buff:

Walking on the ocean floor is 159% of normal run speed.
Swimming is 147% of normal run speed.
Seahorse is 371% of normal run speed.
280% mount is 417% of normal run speed.
310% mount is 451% of normal run speed.

Every area where you are gathering/killing and do not mount for a bit is faster.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
CarbonatedFalcon said:
Concerning the phased nodes:

I still have some rage over this. (It applies to fishing nodes too, if you didn't know, most apparent in Uldum.)

I don't get why having the nodes at their specific locations appearing in all phases seems to be something that Blizzard missed.
I always assumed someone got it and it disappeared late.

But then sometimes when I get a node the others on my map disappear until I mount up and try to find it successfully.

And then there were a few areas where there were phased quests I could see at a certain location and when I approached they disappeared.

Bisnic said:

Hyberbole (if any are guilty), is a lesser charge than making up easier-to-refute points that were never mentioned.

idlewild_

It's soooooo annoying running across a node that's inches too far into a phased area to access. End up spending a good 2-3 minutes just trying to creep up on it and snag it

Twig

Banned
Bisnic said:
What i learn from this thread is that people love to exaggerate on a lot of shit.
I'm not exaggerating. Vash is the worst goddamn zone in the game.

Silithus would probably be at the top if there were more than 20 quests.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Twig said:

So you'd re-do SMV, BEM, and Icecrown before touching Vash? lol.

Flask farming requires Vash'jir, otherwise I'd never touch it. :(

For someone leveling you have to choose between Hyjal and Vash... I may be in the minority but I thought Hyjal was the best >80 zone. Not a hard choice for me I guess.

Mairu

wonderdung said:
Flask farming requires Vash'jir, otherwise I'd never touch it. :(

For someone leveling you have to choose between Hyjal and Vash... I may be in the minority but I thought Hyjal was the best >80 zone. Not a hard choice for me I guess.
Deepholm > Hyjal > Twilight Highlands > Uldum > Vashjr

Bisnic

Rez said:
I suspect you need to refresh your memory of IC, BEM and SMV.

I think maybe Twig sucks at fighting underwater or maybe just swimming. That would explain why he would rather do those zones than Vashjir.

What's wrong with Icecrown? Still the best use of phasing in the game to create a story. The only thing I really hated was the quest that made you fly across the zone 3 times and then go to Moonglade.

Twig

Banned
Entropia said:
BEM without a flying mount = torture.
I only ever did like half of it without a flying mount, and the first half is ridiculously straightforward and simple. The three times I've been through it since, with a flying mount the whole way, have been cakewalk.

SMV has a few annoying quests, but it's not particularly bad like Vash is.

IC had lots of PvP the one time I did it, so tons of fun. U: Way too much shitty-ass phasing, but nowhere near as offensive as Vash in that regard.

Storm Peaks is way better, but it's not like Icecrown is hard in the slightest.
Bisnic said:
I think maybe Twig sucks at fighting underwater or maybe just swimming. That would explain why he would rather do those zones than Vashjir.
Apparently you all suck at flying. Must be horrible!

J-Rzez

Twig said:

Oooh, I forgot about Silithus... Nope. Vash is the worst zone in the game, possibly in any MMO ever. I'd rather do Silithus and (vanilla) blasted lands quests than go through Vash lol.

Twig

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Oooh, I forgot about Silithus... Nope. Vash is the worst zone in the game, possibly in any MMO ever. I'd rather do Silithus and (vanilla) blasted lands quests than go through Vash lol.
*fistbump*

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
you guys are weird. vash was an awesome zone. do us a favour and don't get employed by blizzard to design new zones in future expansions.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I wouldn't say Vash wasn't an "awesome zone", but I was pretty impressed by it. I was worried going into it that it would be a painful experience with navigating and such... but it was pretty good. It had a really solid flow to the quests and ended nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom