• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boonoo

Bisnic said:
You don't need the expansions, nor do you need flying mounts, to see how the world has changed. Unless you really want to see how the world has changed from the air. There's nothing you can miss by exploring with regular mounts except maybe for a few rare things.

But flying is more fun :U

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Twig said:
STORMREAVER. ):
Huh, no kidding? I've got like a 75 troll priest on there.

While we're talking about servers I guess I'll just ask here. I've got a dwarf warrior to transfer on a server than went from being high population to low, and most of that population is on the horde side. Any good Alliance server suggestions?

markot

Banned
Trojita said:
How long do the heirloom gear that increase exp gains take to get? Where do you get them?
Ummmmm. Mainly from Dalaran I think still. Near all the badge vendors for your faction.

But they jacked up the price before the expansion.

Dexa

Banned
markot said:
Ummmmm. Mainly from Dalaran I think still. Near all the badge vendors for your faction.

But they jacked up the price before the expansion.
or for honor - in wintergrasp.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Dexa said:
or for honor - in wintergrasp.

or from champion seals, in argent tournament. This one might be the better alternative if you want to save your honor or JP for your main.

J-Rzez

So this is a random observation from my experience on my server thus far into the expansion, and I don't know if it's like this on anyone else's server. Logging in just two months basically after release, the population has really thinned out. There used to be a massive amount of people playing, more than I've seen in years past expansions, yet already the number of people playing plummeted and there's far less people on now at any given time. Did people really just get that burnt out that fast? Did Cata not live up to expectations to some? Or is the amount of "content" not up to snuff for everyone?

J-Rzez said:
So this is a random observation from my experience on my server thus far into the expansion, and I don't know if it's like this on anyone else's server. Logging in just two months basically after release, the population has really thinned out. There used to be a massive amount of people playing, more than I've seen in years past expansions, yet already the number of people playing plummeted and there's far less people on now at any given time. Did people really just get that burnt out that fast? Did Cata not live up to expectations to some? Or is the amount of "content" not up to snuff for everyone?

If it's there, it's not noticable on Skullcrusher and Spirestone, especially compared to 3.2. Watching Alterac Mountains go from 4000 prime time to 1500 prime time in the span of 3 months was horrifying.

Raiden

Banned
Well i jumped out pretty fast, due to long waittimes as DPS to get in dungeons, and i thought they were pretty boring too. Did not feel like grinding them over and over for gear. And im not a PVP guy. But im sure i'll get back at it someday.

Twig

Banned
J-Rzez said:
I can't really objectively speak to the content of previous expansions, as I've never played as "hardcore" as I am now, so I'm going through stuff at a pretty fast rate (for me, anyway - I still haven't entered a raid, hence the quotes around "hardcore"). It's not bugging me too much as there's a lot of old content I never did that I'm just going through for fun. Like Argent Tournament!

It does seem like there's less endgame content, in a way. Less reputations to grind, etc. I dunno. U:

I'm probably crazy.
Dance in my Blood said:
Huh, no kidding? I've got like a 75 troll priest on there.
BESTREAVER. O:<
markot said:
Plus you have to joust :s
Does it get harder? I'm only up to farming Valiant stuff so far, but I got the last of it last night before arena made me ragequit before I could turn it in. I assume Champion is next, since I had two flags and will have three or... something.

But at valiant level, at least, the jousting NPCs are super easy.

Won

J-Rzez said:

Raid content still seems rather inaccessible imo. And you can run heroics only so many times before you don't care anymore.

I can't say whether or not the amount of people playing on my realm has declined much, but I wouldn't be surprised. Beyond raids, there really isn't much endgame content at the moment.

Rated BGs are fairly punishing and you won't have any success at all unless you are with your guild (though that's to be expected I suppose.)

IMO, too few reps to grind (only 6?) not counting Bilgewater/Gilneas compared to the 8-10 at WotLK launch. (And I enjoy doing reputations, for the most part.)

Fewer zones/levels to get through. I know it was only five levels, but I think having so few new zones just kind of kills some of the feeling of being immersed in the world, compared to Outland/Northrend - though they did revamp all the old world as well, so it's understandable.

However, I really wish that there was maybe some hub for 85s in the Burning Steppes, for example, that dealt with BWD. Part of the whole goal I thought of bringing everyone back to Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms was to have high levels mingling with low levels again, rather than being secluded away - and while Orgrimmar/Stormwind may be busy, I feel like they could have improved upon this more, by having 85s maybe have to go to some zones that are lower leveled, for quests, or whatever else.

Other than that, pretty much if you haven't moved onto raiding/arena or rated BGs at this point, you're probably done with the endgame content on at least one character, and don't have much to do besides twiddle your thumbs around in a capital, or level some alts. Or level some alts and raid (as I've been doing), since I only have designated raid times for 9 hours a week.

markot

Banned
Twig said:
Does it get harder? I'm only up to farming Valiant stuff so far, but I got the last of it last night before arena made me ragequit before I could turn it in. I assume Champion is next, since I had two flags and will have three or... something.

But at valiant level, at least, the jousting NPCs are super easy.
Its not hard... its just extremely tedious, boring, unfun and stupid >_<

Won said:
Raid content still seems rather inaccessible imo. And you can run heroics only so many times before you don't care anymore.

I don't think it's so inaccessible, but it's definitely not faceroll like Naxx or OS, and there are no epics from Heroic end bosses to help out.

In lieu of that, you need to be more coordinated to get a raid group off the ground and going, since the raids are fairly difficult and still the first tier, there is nothing else to fall back on besides heroics.

Also, I forgot to mention in my previous post (but also related here), the way the lockouts and guild XP work now basically killed the PUG (along with the gear issues at the moment), so that if your specific guild isn't into raiding content (or much of it) yet , there is no real way to get into it. I'm not sure if this was necessarily a good thing.

25s having the same loot level as 10s now is part of this issue as well, but that's a discussion unto itself.

TheYanger

borghe said:
I have two kills in 25m on him and...... countless.... wipes from stupid DPS (I am DPS btw) not finishing on the adds because they see they are "almost" dead and go back to the boss. You guys are also not understanding how the damage reduction works or taking into the account that there are still more adds coming.

each set of 3 is a total of 48.8% damage reduction, multiplicative. 20% per add multiplicative. he is talking about 3 adds staying up AFTER the phase is over. However Maloriak ALSO releases a set of adds during the green phase and a set of adds right after the green phase. there will then only be two more add casts after that (if you have the full 9 extra released by the second green phase). So IF that set of adds during the green phase isn't interrupted (they absolutely will not be burned down in time before the phase ends) that 48.8% reduction instantly jumps to 73.8% reduction as soon as the green phase is over (which is what we are talking about here). It also means that those six mobs are now hitting on him for 198% damage increase as soon as the green phase is over (aka multiplying their damage by 2.98). Not to mention very shortly after the green phase is over you then have 3 more mobs out for a total of nine for 86.5% damage reduction and 415% damage increase. if you interrupt both the cast during the green phase and the cast after the green phase, then to beat the enrage timer you are going to be left with at least 3 adds during his burn phase on top of the two larger adds.

Even if the adds are dying then outside of the green phase, there is still other shit going on, like much higher healing load on the OT healer from the 72% increase in damage over the already expected damage from the normal add release schedule, not to mention more than likely lost dps on the boss from DPS helping finishing off those adds, or at some point he's going to have to be tanking 12 mobs. even if everyone manages to burn down the 3 low health mobs during the red/blue phases, that is still going to be at least 30-60 seconds he is going to be tanking 9 of those mobs.. our OT is having to blow CDs at some point during when all nine are up... not seeing having your CDs up twice during that 30-60 seconds.

Now maybe if your average ilevel for the normal fight is 355+ having those extra adds up is trivial, or maybe somehow it is more trivial in 10m than 25m (we've only done 25m.. I'd imagine add damage is much lower in 10m).. but yeah, in 25m, if we leave adds up after green, it's pretty much a guaranteed wipe as the OT will unquestionably die either before or shortly after the last set of adds are released.

edit - for the record, I don't believe this is a hard fight at all. On the contrary it's probably the second easiest fight we've had in BWD only behind the hunter kiting version of magmaw, and we're done with normal BWD except for Nefarian. My only point here is that in 25m at least, much like Omnotron (and non-kiting versions of Magmaw), if you leave adds up, the raid will probably wipe.

No offense, but I'm talking from experience, not pulling numbers out of my ass. The adds don't buff themselves, so 3 adds = 2 stacks per add = 36% damage reduction per add. If you're adding more adds on top of that of course it gets harder (Though even 6 adds is only a 59.04% damage reduction, your math is wrong somewhere). The issue is interrupting during the phase though and not letting more spawn, not that there were adds up when the phase ended.

I ABSOLUTELY GUARANTEE that you can have adds still alive at reasonably low HP levels after a green phase and still kill them perfectly fine. Tank only? Maybe if they're low, certainly possible. But realistically you'd just leave dps on them until they're gone.
I'm glad your guild has 2 kills on 25. On the other hand mine has 4 on heroic and however many weeks the expansion was out before that on regular. I know what I'm talking about here, I'm going to trust that. I mean you're the same one who was arguing about how Halfus worked incorrectly, you need to trust whoever is feeding you misinformation way less before passing it off to other people :/

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So it looks like Blizzard is adding a Tabard closet to store all of your tabards, and supposedly an Atlas loots like map system.

Twig

Banned
I knew it. :3

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1827305886?page=1#11
It doesn't actually work. The balance of factions is not dependant on if you’re in a raid or not. It's a mis-perception based on the inability to see the opposing team's numbers. What’s happening is that you can leave a raid, remain in Tol Barad, and because your old raid may pick up an additional player from the queue there’s an assumption that your side is getting more players. In fact the other side is keeping up and also getting additional players. We’ve verified across a number of realms that faction balance remains equal, even in cases where we found people actively attempting to use this to outnumber the opposing team. They weren't.

We keep a close eye on Tol Barad faction balance and turnover.

Twig

Banned
cuevas said:
Are they adding a tab like they have for mounts and pets?
I think that's the plan, although they haven't given specifics yet, AFAIK.

Basically, they'd have it done already, but don't, because some tabards have on-use effects. Or something. D:

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Seems like that would be the easiest and most logical thing to do. There's a template used for the mounts and you can drag the tabard out for the use effect.

dimb

WoWScrnShot_020411_180605.jpg

Is this game serious?

dimb

DeathNote said:
what's the issue?

molten fists are mail agility gloves used by shaman and hunters
I'm not rolling on them. I'm tanking the instance as a paladin. I meant the 40 minutes to kick someone who aggroed 5 fire elementals during the boss and couldn't find their way back.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
I'm not rolling on them. I'm tanking the instance as a paladin. I meant the 40 minutes to kick someone who aggroed 5 fire elementals during the boss and couldn't find their way back.
I know you're tanking the insance as a paladin. But there are two things to look at: The shaman and hunter rolling on mail gloves and the 40 min CD. Even Fragamemnon assumed it was a weapon. The CD message could be you trying to kick him for that.

dimb

DeathNote said:
I know you're tanking the insance as a paladin. But there are two things to look at: The shaman and hunter rolling on mail gloves and the 40 min CD. Even Fragamemnon assumed it was a weapon.
Should have specified, my bad.

It's just crazy to me that I can be stuck with people who just are AFK most of the instance and not be able to do anything about it.

Twig

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
Is this game serious?
I think if you kick people a lot, it starts making you wait longer and longer to initiate a vote, but I'm not 100% on that since I rarely initiate a vote. But if someone else initiates the vote, I'm all for kicking bitches. U:

Unfortunately, I think even just voting "yes" increases the time you have to wait. But I'm not sure if what I said above is even true, so...!

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
Should have specified, my bad.

It's just crazy to me that I can be stuck with people who just are AFK most of the instance and not be able to do anything about it.
When I was tanking Blackfathom Deeps this DPS kept aggroing random mobs on purpose. Not letting you vote to kick right after a pull is annoying. I eventually let him pull a bunch of stuff and left the group.

But I agree. If you kick someone shitty I think you're stuck with the replacement even if they are shitty.

Edit: Or maybe you can only vote kick 2 before a CD.

bill0527

So Cataclysm has been out 2 months and I'm curious as to what your overall opinion of it is now that the newness has worn off.

Overall I'd give it somewhere in the B- or C+ range. The problem is, I've come to expect at least A- quality from Blizzard.

I've played it a ton since it was released, probably 3-4 hours a day, at least 5-6 days a week. I've gotten 3 toons to 85 - SV hunter, kitty druid, and DK tank. SV hunter ilevel = 346, kitty druid ilevel = 342, and DK tank ilevel = 339. I've also levelled up 2 new toons - and now sit with a 47 lock, and a 25 warrior. I checked out the re-designed old world content with these new toons.

The problems I have with it start at the very beginning of the expansion. Everything is on rails and linear. This is a great departure from Lich King, which gave you 2 different choices of wide open zones to start Northrend. Inside these zones were sub areas and you could pick and choose where you wanted to go. In Cataclysm, you are forced to do quests in exactly the right order before quests in other parts of the zone will even open up to you. I found myself missing some quests and getting lost and not sure where to find the things I missed - happened twice to me in Uldum and Vash'jir. I eventually found what I missed but not without a lot of backtracking and help over general chat.

I'm not a fan of the on-rails questing in a MMORPG. Luckily I play on a PvE server. If I played on a PvP server, especially one that was population imbalanced, it would be pure hell in those opening days of the expansion. I personally like for players to be spread out and to have the choice of where to go. Blizzard couldn't even be bothered to seperate the factions in far different areas either. Everyone was funneled into the same places to compete for mobs (or against each other in the case of PvP servers). This was a big departure from both Burning Crusade and Lich King.

The next problem I had was with the massive amount of bugs that I encountered and still encounter to this day. Neither BC nor Lich King were even close to being as buggy for me as Cataclysm has been. I know my own experience is anecdotal and I've had people tell me that Lich King was far buggier for them. This is just my own personal experience though. I won't forget the game night ending bug I hit on night 2 in Vash'jir. Inside Nespirah there is a series of quests with this brain thing. One of them has you go upstairs to kill 10 of a certain mob, and the mobs wouldn't spawn. Since the mobs wouldn't spawn, you couldn't complete the quest, and since all the quests are on rails, you couldn't go to the next series of quests. What this meant is that the night was over, at least those of us in Vash'jir, at 7:30pm when the mobs stopped spawning. It was hotfixed the next day, but it was still annoying when it happened.

I found some other things that were quite annoying, such as phased nodes. Not so much annoying anymore since I know where they're at now after flying around them at least a hundred times, but very annoying in the beginning. You fly around Uldum for 5 minutes looking for Ore - you find it, only to have it disappear on you when you land. That's a nasty little cocktease Blizzard is pulling on us.

Dungeons and Raids - I need to preface this by saying that I play on an extremely casual server. I play on Nesingwary and this server has never been in the top 100 in terms of downing progression content. We're also listed as a 'New Players' server even though its been open for at least 2 years. What people find out is that if they want to raid and actually down bosses, its best to transfer somewhere else. There is an extremely limited amount of progression guilds on the server for both factions. You can count them on one hand and they seldom recruit. When they do, they only take the best of the best and the most dedicated - meaning, you don't miss a single raid night ever or you're benched. In fact, Nesingwary lost its top Alliance progression guild last night. They were 8/12 10-man, and the GM and officers disbanded the guild and transferred to another server.

I'm in somewhat of a casual guild. 250 toons total, maybe 10-15 people on at a given time. Good enough to do heroics, but not good enough to raid. What we found was that the regular dungeons were too easy, and the heroics were a little too hard at first. Once most of us got into the ilevel 340+ range, the heroics became easier, but still time consuming and unforgiving if you weren't really on your game and paying attention to boss mechanics. Sadly, it seems that most everyone in my guild, once they ran through the heroics a couple of times and got their toons into the mid ilevel 340s, just didn't want to do heroics anymore. They stopped doing them and started levelling up alts. The majority just seemed to feel like they were more of a chore instead of fun.

We tried BD twice and Bastion once. We didn't down a boss in either of them. Not sure what the problem was with Haifus, but we had 10-12 wipes with no progress. On Magmaw, DPS just wasn't getting down the adds fast enough. We could never figure out what the problem was as all the DPS were at least 13k+ in the encounter. Anyway, we haven't tried anything in about 3 weeks and everyone is just levelling alts or they've disappeared completely. It just feels like any enthusiasm for the game is dying in my guild. And as I mentioned earlier, its a pretty shitty server, so jumping to a better guild is just a crapshoot and I would probably end up in the same situation.

I will say that I'm probably the only person in the game who enjoys Tol Barad. Probably because we're on a very balanced server in terms of faction numbers and PvP skill and gear. Its working as intended on my server for some strange reason. The Horde will have it for a day or two, and then the Alliance will capture it and hold it for a day or two. Lots of back and forth on who owns it.

I think overall though, I'm pretty much done with the expansion. Like I said, my guild seems to be losing steam, the LFD is absolutely worthless, we're not good enough to raid. All of my reputations on all my 85s are maxed to where I want them - not all to exalted, but they all didn't need to be exalted because not all of them needed gear from the exalted level. In fact, only piece of rep gear left for me to get on any of my toons is the Tol Barad trinket for my kitty druid and about 2-3 more days worth of commendations and I'll have it. I find myself logging in and only doing dailies and a little bit of farming every day and that's about it. I'm pretty well bored with it.

Alex

I'd give it a B, the content is good, I really like the raids and heroics, but it's not far from what WOTLK ultimately was in it's flow and spread, as in what it does, the actual content is wayyy better. It just doesn't have a lot of newness to it's footprint, whereas Wrath and BC did.

While there is some good polish up on some existing functionality, the few new concepts they did add were rather half-baked, looking at you Archeology. The new world is really cool but the problem is you just don't really spend much time in it.

Also, this go around I'm annoyed that they seem to have cut down communication and sharing of future plans with players. At this time last expack we knew some cool stuff was in the pipeline and were being talked to a lot, it was a cool bit of the game to me. Now it's pure silence and we know shit basically.

Hopefully 4.1 and onwards have some neat features in them. Also, according to their leaked timetable from awhile back, they plan to start expanding sooner (Q2 2012 for the next, Q2 of 2010 is about when Wrath SHOULD have ended), I hope it's a legitimate plan and not just more wishful thinking, I also hope nothing is lost in the process either.

Sai-kun

Banned
bill0527 said:
The problems I have with it start at the very beginning of the expansion. Everything is on rails and linear. This is a great departure from Lich King, which gave you 2 different choices of wide open zones to start Northrend. Inside these zones were sub areas and you could pick and choose where you wanted to go. In Cataclysm, you are forced to do quests in exactly the right order before quests in other parts of the zone will even open up to you. I found myself missing some quests and getting lost and not sure where to find the things I missed - happened twice to me in Uldum and Vash'jir. I eventually found what I missed but not without a lot of backtracking and help over general chat.

This bothers me a lot. I haven't quested through Hyjal yet, but I'm doing it on my 80 Shaman now and it feels so predictable. Do 4/5 quests, go to a new little area. Do 4/5 more quests, go to a new little area.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I like that, personally. Gives every part of the zone a bit more of a spotlight.

When I think back on Cata zones and the reworked Vanilla zones, I remember different sections of each zone and the quests associated, whereas something like Hellfire Peninsula or Zangermarsh or even newer zones like Storm Peaks and Ice Crown are a blur of flying around giant distances without actually taking in each new setting.

Alex

There are two choices of zones to start in for Cataclysm too; Vashj'ir or Hyjal. The actual questing is more linear though, yeah, but that's one part I def prefer.

Mairu

I like Cataclysm a lot. I didn't play WOTLK at launch and when I reactivated for it Ulduar wasn't out yet. I did not enjoy WOTLK at all. Levelling 70-80 was better than 60-70, but dungeons and raids were a joke.

I like Cataclysm's new areas. I don't mind that each levelling zone is fairly linear because I really don't care for levelling in general. Heroics at first were a little tricky but soon became somewhere in between BC & WOTLK heroics where it's not too difficult as long as you have decent damage. I'm pretty pleased with the first raiding tier. Most of the encounters aren't far too easy and the heroics seem fairly challenging so far.

The only thing I really don't like with Cataclysm is Archaeology, and I'm disappointed that it's going to be even worse after the patch when they cap the amount of fragments you can have at a time.

J-Rzez

bill0527 said:
So Cataclysm has been out 2 months and I'm curious as to what your overall opinion of it is now that the newness has worn off.

C+/B-

I love the raiding thus far. And the heroics were fun while new.

PVP sucks at the moment. Fun if you're the FotM class/spec, but outside of that, which it is for many classes, it sucks. Balance is out of control right now. Blizzard's original plan was for "longer battles when 3v3 even, no more quasi-globalz". This is not the case. People, in proper gear, are getting blown the hell up. All this time, and two new bg's, no new arena's, is inexcusable. Removal of gear ratings outside of different colored armor and just a weapon, is nice.

Other than that:
- Recycling of art assets is out of control, and blizzard should be ashamed of themselves, period.
- Some profs didn't get proper love.
- Vanilla races look absolutely terrible now, model and animation wise
- 5 new zones, one of which sporting a massive gimmick and is terrible, sucks.
- Revamped 1-60 is great.

Unfortunately, with all the attention given to revamping the old world and near endless recycling of assets, this doesn't feel like a new expansion to me, despite the new races. With nearly everything really feeling like a part of the old world and lack of a new central hub, along with the lack of factions to rep, it just feels like 3/4 of an expansion compared to BC and Wrath. At first I was enamored and would say it was easily in the B+/A- range, but after even just this short amount of time in an MMO it really lost a lot of it's luster.

Still the best MMO out there overall though, for now.

B

Amazingly dangerous yet succesful balancing of stats; they've finally realized a way to (temporarily?) escape mudflation. My only real gripe about this is it's "Healers enjoy a challenge" in a different form.

Healing again does not make me want to hit people, (or just stop giving a fuck).

Vashjir was claustrophobic, clunky, primitive, and tedious to ANYONE who's played a single player RPG since around 1995 (and some before that). Like the man said up there, Wrath gave you two zones with multiple starting spots right off the bat (I started in the Taunka villiage, for example, then went north, then DB (lots of dungeon running). Rest of the zones are fine to awesome.

Cinemas and most phasing are a mess and overused.

PvP is mighty fine this go around, (barring Tol). Rated BGs are so damn good.

Heroics and raids are LEAGUES better this go 'round. Trying to be all things to all people slowly drug the entirety of PvE into a samey honey-do list rut that either pandered down to people who were never Raiders for guarenteed epics or pandered up to the very hardestcore elites for personal benchmarks.

Raids are alot more visceral now, dangerous, and most importantly, not guarenteed or wise of a player to be expected. That's a mature place for them.

Concerned about that tougher balancing mixed with all the quality-of-life changes that we continue to be blessed with. People now seem to be un-intentionally dumped at raid's doorstep whether they're mentally, socially, and emotionally ready for what lies ahead, rather than being used to that being made a given (where they were intentionally done that way).

TheYanger

Yes it is. It's not 'fast' but you just avoid it on alts and problem is solved. I had tons of fun in Vashj, bugs aside, through alpha, beta, and release. Either way, just skip it if you don't like it, it's the one you can without any worries.

So far I enjoy Cata a lot. All the raids are pretty good, bit untuned on heroic but that's probably par for the course at this point, and the normals are spot on for most raiders I think. Heroics were fun when they were new. Questing was fun. Class balance is decent enough (Sure it's off, but it's way LESS off given how revamped it all was), all in all a solid A for me.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like Vash mostly suffered from a reliance on one or two ideas, whereas everything else felt much more evenly paced. The filler in Vash was ridiculously transparent.

I appreciate the experimentation, though. Better a failed experiment (well, failed is a bit harsh) than no experimentation at all.

A+ for cata, the raiding is great, I didn't have to do the honor grind because of TB, and they didn't make leveling take forever.

They also made the paladin class fun as hell to play when before it was simple.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Why did they re-use mine/cave models? They put all this work into different zones, instance caves, instances, but there's only a handful of old world cave/mine models.

I forget if Nethergarde Mines existed in badlands before cat, but it's the same as the Netherdrake SMV daily cave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom