• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
is the Vash hate a situation where people who play ranged don't mind it and those who are melee only despise it?

Rokam

I played a melee and didn't hate it for that reason. Poor design in the third area as far as quest location. Spending more time traveling to the area with quest mobs then actually taking to kill them was not a smart move by blizzard. Fuck that cave with the Sub.

Twig

Banned
Scrow said:
do us a favour and don't get employed by blizzard to design new zones in future expansions.
You're right. Wouldn't want you to experience actual quality and then expect Blizzard to not put out shit.

Raide

Rez said:
is the Vash hate a situation where people who play ranged don't mind it and those who are melee only despise it?

At early levels, having to sit toe to toe with monsters really hurts. I have full ICC25 gear on my rogue, so it was not too bad but my Pala was running with a makeshift Retri set (from Holy) Annoying for mage at the start but quickly became easy. I run Frost, so I was expecting them to have everything immune. :p So glad they ditched that.

With the spawn rate, it can be a nightmare when you get jumped. Handy to seahorse and get the hell out of there! :D

Once you have run through the map on 1 character, it does become really easy on your alts. You know where stuff is and you can do things really quickly. I don't mind Vash but I was glad to get out of there.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Rez said:
I played as warrior, dk, and rogue.

Raide said:
At early levels, having to sit toe to toe with monsters really hurts. I have full ICC25 gear on my rogue, so it was not too bad but my Pala was running with a makeshift Retri set (from Holy) Annoying for mage at the start but quickly became easy. I run Frost, so I was expecting them to have everything immune. :p So glad they ditched that.

With the spawn rate, it can be a nightmare when you get jumped. Handy to seahorse and get the hell out of there! :D

Once you have run through the map on 1 character, it does become really easy on your alts. You know where stuff is and you can do things really quickly. I don't mind Vash but I was glad to get out of there.
Any character fresh out of WOTLK quest zones will have a problem in Hyjal or Vash until they upgrade their gear.

It was impossible to kill two in either zone on my Arms warrior with the Heirloom. You can upgrade the weapon quickly tho by killing a crab and getting a drop quest.

I crafted, I believe, 316 blue weapons for my rogue.

I seems to have fucked with some of my Recount settings, and I cant get it to work and look like it did when I first installed it. Does anyone know how to completely remove all traces of it, so I can start fresh?

Ive tried deleting the folder for it in my Addons, but even that didnt work, its saving the character specific files somewhere else :(

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Nobiru said:
I seems to have fucked with some of my Recount settings, and I cant get it to work and look like it did when I first installed it. Does anyone know how to completely remove all traces of it, so I can start fresh?

Ive tried deleting the folder for it in my Addons, but even that didnt work, its saving the character specific files somewhere else :(
I see at least two locations.
WTF\Account\AccountName\SeverName\CharName\SavedVariables\Recount.lua
WTF\Account\AccountName\SavedVariables\Recount.lua

So that would be overall saved variables and Character specific

JWong

Banned
Quest: Please give your Lovely Charm Bracelet to Cairne Bloodhoof

Waaaah?

And, indeed, you cannot give it to Baine Bloodhoof. How could they have missed this?

Retro

JWong said:

Waaaah?

And, indeed, you cannot give it to Baine Bloodhoof. How could they have missed this?

... They couldn't spare anyone from the "$25 Vanity Item" team?
... Improving Vash'jir cutscenes to Saturn-quality?
... Too busy implementing Dance Studio?
... Too busy counting money?
... People can't be bothered when "monitoring" the Goldshire Inn on their Worgen Alts, with their lights off and door locked.
... Everyone is too busy hacking accounts to increase sales of authenticators?
... No one can be spared from developing the Demonhunter Hero class?
... Everyone is on the floor laughing at future Paladin changes.
... Everyone is attending a presentation on the Hue slider in Photoshop to take some of the workload off the Art department.

/Grinning Trollface

Rambaldi

JWong said:

Waaaah?

I got Loremaster the other day and I received a letter from Cairne. I put in a ticket informing Blizzard that his account had been hacked.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Live isn't showing me the difference between gear stats. I swear it did, or it it only on th PTR? Not seeing it on PTR and the only mods I had were atlas, atlas loot, recount, DBM before I deleted folders before cleaning.

Excuse me is this is a dumb question, but when should I go about joining a guild? I am currently a LV 10 Warlock and I get these invites to join various guilds come up. Do people tend to just recruit people en-masse to build up ranks and someone notices, "Hey this guy isn't in a guild so lets sign him up."

Still learning the ropes so I am kind of overwhelmed, but goddamn this game is starting to get me very addicted. Not having to load it practically at all (used to console gaming all my life) and just clicking the WOW icon makes it hard to stay away even as I type this.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
GrumpyAlien said:
Excuse me is this is a dumb question, but when should I go about joining a guild? I am currently a LV 10 Warlock and I get these invites to join various guilds come up. Do people tend to just recruit people en-masse to build up ranks and someone notices, "Hey this guy isn't in a guild so lets sign him up."

Still learning the ropes so I am kind of overwhelmed, but goddamn this game is starting to get me very addicted. Not having to load it practically at all (used to console gaming all my life) and just clicking the WOW icon makes it hard to stay away even as I type this.
With the guild leveling system, more people helps level faster and such, but no quality guild invites random people.

Join the highest level guild you can for now. Level 8 would be super easy at least. Level 3 gives +10% mount speed, level 6 gives +10% experience, level 8 makes your Hearth 15 mins.
http://www.wowwiki.com/Guild_advancement

DeathNote said:
With the guild leveling system, more people helps level faster and such, but no quality guild invites random people.

Join the highest level guild you can.Level 8 would be super easy at least. Level 3 gives +10% mount speed, level 6 gives +10% experience, level 8 makes your Hearth 15 mins.
http://www.wowwiki.com/Guild_advancement

Thanks. I guess I should start looking into it sooner than later. I am doing pretty well as a Warlock soloing, but I am probably missing a lot of what makes the game great by not tapping into the social aspect of it.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
JWong said:

Waaaah?

There is a similar issue on Alliance.. where you've got to give a charm to King Magni... but he is gone now.

Also, isn't this supposed to be Darkmoon Faire today? I've got a Volcanic Deck to turn in dammit!

Sai-kun

Banned
:lol The letter you get from Garrosh or whoever the new Warchief is still signed as

"From the Warchief of the Horde, Thrall"

:lol Wow

Bisnic said:
There is a similar issue on Alliance.. where you've got to give a charm to King Magni... but he is gone now.

Also, isn't this supposed to be Darkmoon Faire today? I've got a Volcanic Deck to turn in dammit!

Believe it's outside Shattrath this week.

GrumpyAlien said:

Depends, are they some leveling guilds giving you invites? Most of those are just a name under yours, more direct help with dungeons, and those perks seen in that link. Might have to turn of /guild though. ;)

:lol The letter you get from Garrosh or whoever the new Warchief is still signed as

"From the Warchief of the Horde, Thrall"

:lol Wow

You're under the impression that Garrosh is intellectual enough to be able to write.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I don't like him, but have you never gotten a copy of something outdated because a ton were printed off and they don't want to mark it out?

They give out a shit ton of those letters.

J-Rzez

Retro said:
... They couldn't spare anyone from the "$25 Vanity Item" team?
... Improving Vash'jir cutscenes to Saturn-quality?
... Too busy implementing Dance Studio?

/Grinning Trollface

1. I don't think the engine's capable of that.
2. Don't ever speak of such a thing here again. It pains me greatly.

markot

Banned
Blizz should really roll out patches quicker. Why do they bundle all these fixes into huge patches when alot of them were needed... like ages ago >.<

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I get it, old engine, but the cutscenes were probably a little too campy and self-aware. I mean, it was like... really? This is the quality of a shipped Blizzard Entertainment product?

markot

Banned
I really hate all the 'indiana jones stuff' not so much the quests, but the... character... its like they have this Brann dude that fills the role completely and is kinda awesome, but instead they do this stupid little shtick with Harrison Jones >.<

markot said:
Blizz should really roll out patches quicker. Why do they bundle all these fixes into huge patches when alot of them were needed... like ages ago >.<

I agree a lot of these fixes seem like they've been a long time coming. And before I go any further, let me first say this...I am not the type of person who typically whines or cries about anything in WoW. I understand all the hard work that Blizzard puts into the game, and as a whole I am enjoying Cataclysm quite a bit.

That said, I really feel like Blizzard messed a lot of things up this expansion. There are a lot of balance issues PvE damage wise. I think they messed up itemization offering too many sidegrades, and even items that are upgrades are pretty minor. And I'm a little unhappy with what's going on with the lore progression. There is almost nothing that hints at what Deathwing is actually up to, and what's to come, and Blizzard hasn't said much either. All we get is...Deathwing has emerged, it's tearing Azeroth apart. Literally, that's pretty much it. And all these factions decided to join up with him. Firelands is on the horizon but we've heard so little about it, I fear it's quite a ways off.

Like I said, I'm enjoying Cataclysm, don't get me wrong at all. But I'm at a loss for some of the strange decisions that have been made design wise, and things that have been overlooked.

Alex

What's there with the content is better, but the overall of it isn't as inspired as BC or LK, they need some new concepts for content and style, this is the first time we really didn't get much in the way of game changers, while it's better in many areas this is pretty much the exact same flow as WOTLK.

I want to see smaller patches too, the hotfixes are nice (though they seem to have stopped on updating the journal for them...) but I tire of these two month process gigapatches.

I also want to see developer communication return and I want to see previews of upcoming stuff. We were hearing about all kinds of new shit in WOTLK quite often at this point.

At this point, more than anything I want to see a fourth talent tree; for PvP *only*. It'd give them 10 specs to work around instead of 30, and it'd seperate the two venues without having to literally go in and separate the systems for them.

I am just so sick and tired of PvE and PvP clashing. it gets so old seeing things held back in either area because of the other.

Good current examples; Resto Shaman is ungodly good In PvP, but sucks complete ass in PvE, thus they can't get anything they need for PvE because it'd just skew it that much more. They don't see to know what to do with Hunters in PvP because their PvE DPS is through the roof, Marksman will be better single target than Survival was before even, and it's hard to give a guy more control and defense when he can do that much damage instantly from range without fear of resource loss.

But yeah, a fourth tree would solve all of that. Put a couple of talents you absolutely *have* to have to PvP at the top and you'd never see any issues. It'd also be fun to see, say, the 31 point talent simply be -30% damage taken, then turn resil into a stat that reduces crowd control and roots/snares by a giant rate, or some such.

ToyMachine228 said:
I agree a lot of these fixes seem like they've been a long time coming. And before I go any further, let me first say this...I am not the type of person who typically whines or cries about anything in WoW. I understand all the hard work that Blizzard puts into the game, and as a whole I am enjoying Cataclysm quite a bit.

That said, I really feel like Blizzard messed a lot of things up this expansion. There are a lot of balance issues PvE damage wise. I think they messed up itemization offering too many sidegrades, and even items that are upgrades are pretty minor. And I'm a little unhappy with what's going on with the lore progression. There is almost nothing that hints at what Deathwing is actually up to, and what's to come, and Blizzard hasn't said much either. All we get is...Deathwing has emerged, it's tearing Azeroth apart. Literally, that's pretty much it. And all these factions decided to join up with him. Firelands is on the horizon but we've heard so little about it, I fear it's quite a ways off.

Like I said, I'm enjoying Cataclysm, don't get me wrong at all. But I'm at a loss for some of the strange decisions that have been made design wise, and things that have been overlooked.

This is true. For WotLK - we knew ICC and Arthas were coming as the final raid/boss, just as we know Deathwing (or his old god master[s?]) will be the final encounter here.

However, there isn't nearly as much foreshadowing for what kinds of things to expect in Firelands or beyond in Cataclysm, as there was with Ulduar.

There seems to be a correlation with how lore-driven a raid instance is to how good it is, and at this point in Cataclysm, we're kind of lacking in the lore department.

CarbonatedFalcon said:
This is true. For WotLK - we knew ICC and Arthas were coming as the final raid/boss, just as we know Deathwing (or his old god master[s?]) will be the final encounter here.

However, there isn't nearly as much foreshadowing for what kinds of things to expect in Firelands or beyond in Cataclysm, as there was with Ulduar.

There seems to be a correlation with how lore-driven a raid instance is to how good it is, and at this point in Cataclysm, we're kind of lacking in the lore department.

Quite possibly it will be a part of the content patch, like the argent tournament was with ToC

We know Firelands and a new 5-man are coming in 4.1 but we have no idea what to really expect from either outside of knowing Ragnaros will be the final boss of Firelands, and the 5-man will be underwater, or have underwater sections.

Beyond that we have no idea what's coming outside of...A raid instance where Deathwing will be the final boss somewhere along the way. That's it. That's all we know. I need a taste of what's to come to keep me excited and motivated.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Rez said:
I get it, old engine, but the cutscenes were probably a little too campy and self-aware. I mean, it was like... really? This is the quality of a shipped Blizzard Entertainment product?
Did you watch the Starcraft 2 cutscenes? Welcome to Blizzard's writing staff.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Any good tricks for a enhance shaman? i don't like when I 5 MW lighting bolt a mob or shock one and do not auto attack it.

Edit: I guess I will just macro my abilities to assist myself.

Edit2: Seems to work nice. It doesn't slow you DPS down does it? Automatically doing a /assist before every special ability that is.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Dance In My Blood said:
yeah, the SC2 writing was absolutely atrocious, but at least they were the best-looking atrocious cutscenes money could buy.

Twig

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
I've come to expect a certain quality of presentation, at the very least, when it comes to Blizzard cutscenes.

So, even if the writing is atrocious, I still want it to look good, you know.
Alex said:
But yeah, a fourth tree would solve all of that. Put a couple of talents you absolutely *have* to have to PvP at the top and you'd never see any issues. It'd also be fun to see, say, the 31 point talent simply be -30% damage taken, then turn resil into a stat that reduces crowd control and roots/snares by a giant rate, or some such.
I don't...

This is...

What.

I love this idea.

Anything that reduces the usage of CC in PvP scenarios is absolutely wonderful.

So I'm migrating and faction changing again, and gotta do it on 2 chars, 90 euros never felt so big as they do now, hurts me so much to pay for this lol...

Anyway, my name is taken again so which one would you think I should use from these:
Dementi(been using this one for a while since Nolimit is taken) or Nolimitx? Dunno, would really like Nolimit but nothing added to it seems good enough :p

Made ticket, they might free it up but doubt it.

dimb

Alex said:
Evidently a fourth talent tree is too hard, or Blizzard would have finished Path of the Titans and not rushed Cata out.

Twig

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
Evidently a fourth talent tree is too hard, or Blizzard would have finished Path of the Titans and not rushed Cata out.
Heh.

To be fair, the Titans stuff was supposed to be IN ADDITION to your regular talents, was it not? As opposed to a fourth, separate talent tree, which would be... well, separate.

...I didn't realize until just now how disappointed I am with the lack of Path of the Titans. ):

DeathNote said:
Dementi(dey-mahn-tee]) is more original and better sounding than Nolimit.
And it fits me well :D

Now it's time to pick a race, probably will go goblin but all horde races are awesome, oh how I missed them :D

dimb

cuevas said:
4th talent tree? 30 ways to play the game isn't enough?
I don't remember saying that, but I think some kind of consistent modifier tree like Blizzard originally planned with Path of the Titans would have been great, and have helped justify archeology a lot more if they tied it into that.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Nolimit_SS said:
And it fits me well :D

Now it's time to pick a race, probably will go goblin but all horde races are awesome, oh how I missed them :D
I was thinking about race changing my Death Knight. Don't like how my female Blood Elf looks like without gear on anymore. And with gear on the shoulder models are real small. But, when I started fighting, I like the swing animations on her out of them all.

On the PTR it let me switch races 10+ times before it changed to change features only.

J-Rzez

Dance In My Blood said:

I tried out the Rift beta today, you should see how that's set up. It was seriously impressive. If you were a fan of "hybrid builds" in WoW before they destroyed that element, then you'll be in heaven with Rift, it's insanity, in a good way.

Yes, the poor presentation of cut-scenes (both the insulting visuals and at times the insulting writing) once again adds to the argument that Blizzard is putting far less effort and money into WoW, and probably dumping nearly all available resources (money and talent) into Titan. WoW will drudge along as a cash cow to fund their projects. You won't see blizzard put forth an effort until other MMOs whittle away at WoW's playerbase. With Rift, Star Wars, and Guild Wars 2, this will be the first real test of WoW's dominance if it can stave off all three.

I agree with the lore, even from my raiding experience barely if at all carries any weight to the "lore" of this expansion. I mean, I guess Deathwing isn't up to anything besides griefing low level toons in various zone, that's all I got from it all so far beside the little bits about pillars.

Alex said:
What's there with the content is better, but the overall of it isn't as inspired as BC or LK, they need some new concepts for content and style, this is the first time we really didn't get much in the way of game changers, while it's better in many areas this is pretty much the exact same flow as WOTLK.

I want to see smaller patches too, the hotfixes are nice (though they seem to have stopped on updating the journal for them...) but I tire of these two month process gigapatches.

I also want to see developer communication return and I want to see previews of upcoming stuff. We were hearing about all kinds of new shit in WOTLK quite often at this point.

At this point, more than anything I want to see a fourth talent tree; for PvP *only*. It'd give them 10 specs to work around instead of 30, and it'd seperate the two venues without having to literally go in and separate the systems for them.

I am just so sick and tired of PvE and PvP clashing. it gets so old seeing things held back in either area because of the other.

Good current examples; Resto Shaman is ungodly good In PvP, but sucks complete ass in PvE, thus they can't get anything they need for PvE because it'd just skew it that much more. They don't see to know what to do with Hunters in PvP because their PvE DPS is through the roof, Marksman will be better single target than Survival was before even, and it's hard to give a guy more control and defense when he can do that much damage instantly from range without fear of resource loss.

Numbers are very big. Upgrades are very large, and very often. Talents very mutifaceted and comprehensive. That and many of the current dev crew promise great balance, so they have alot higher to live up to than previous teams as we're told to expect it and do. It's a raw deal they've given themselves, really.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
J-Rzez said:
I tried out the Rift beta today, you should see how that's set up. It was seriously impressive. If you were a fan of "hybrid builds" in WoW before they destroyed that element, then you'll be in heaven with Rift, it's insanity, in a good way.

Yes, the poor presentation of cut-scenes (both the insulting visuals and at times the insulting writing) once again adds to the argument that Blizzard is putting far less effort and money into WoW, and probably dumping nearly all available resources (money and talent) into Titan. WoW will drudge along as a cash cow to fund their projects. You won't see blizzard put forth an effort until other MMOs whittle away at WoW's playerbase. With Rift, Star Wars, and Guild Wars 2, this will be the first real test of WoW's dominance if it can stave off all three.

I agree with the lore, even from my raiding experience barely if at all carries any weight to the "lore" of this expansion. I mean, I guess Deathwing isn't up to anything besides griefing low level toons in various zone, that's all I got from it all so far beside the little bits about pillars.
I see 4 calling with 7 souls.. Looks like you can pick 1-3 souls? Are you stuck with them?

Alex said:

I would have two major (entirely selfish) concerns with this:

1. I dual-spec different hybrid roles. I wouldn't want to give up one of my two slots in order to be able to PvP even decently when right now I can (mostly) just focus on a different gear set.
  2. Similarly, all of the hybrid classes play pretty differently in PvP if you're healing vs. DPSing (or booming vs. catting, etc.) and I wouldn't want to see that all rolled together into a single "bit of each" PvP spec.

Those aside, the idea certainly has a lot of appeal.

Twig said:
To be fair, the Titans stuff was supposed to be IN ADDITION to your regular talents, was it not?

It was a second glyphs system, actually. You'd have regular talents, and then glyphs, and then you'd pick one Titan to emulate and get access to a set of seven (or something) extra glyphs that were specific to that Titan. I'm sure it got cut for the same reason Blizzard cuts every non-class-based post-endgame advancement system they invent: balancing 21 specs is already hard and balancing 21 specs crossed with 7 (or whatever) post-endgame "paths" would be exponentially harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom