• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Also, does anyone else find it kind of funny that despite getting it getting a lot of relative publicity, Kurdran Wildhammer still has voiced quotes that imply he's on the Council of Three Hammers, and thus make no sense.

Entropia said:
I really don't like the fact that this was explained, afaik, outside of the game. Just like Malfurion wrapping up in the Emerald Dream as if nothing happened.
Blizzard's too confident that the fanbase follows the stupid books so 80% of important things don't even happen in game.

Such as Med'an apparently being super important, but literally never showing up in game, ever.

Fandral Staghelm went insane, cursed Teldrassil, was keeping Malfurion stuck in the dream by poisoning him with morrowgrain, and turned out to be mind controlled Xavius from the Emerald Dream (the leader of the Satyrs). This never was explained in game. Instead, you full Fandral out of a prison in Hyjal with no real reason to understand why he was hanging out in Darnassus and now is randomly a prisoner.

The Varian/Lo'Gosh thing which explains WHERE THE FUCK THE KING WAS FOR 3 YEARS was literally never explained in game. He simply showed up with voiced quotes reflecting events that didn't make any sense if you hadn't gone out of your way to read either their shitty comic book or a WoWwiki summary.

Not only did Magni's "death" (he'll be alive again eventually, obviously) not occur as an in game event, but nobody in game can really explain it to you.

There's a lot of strange timeline issues, obviously, all of Northrend is in some kind of time warp now, I don't really like the fact that Moira has the heir to the Dark Iron clan and is pissed about Thaursssan being dead, but Tharissan is still the boss of BRD, etc.

I really don't see how it's too onerous to produce in game cutscenes on demand to explain major story events that an NPC will just show you.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Why has Old Ironforge been locked this whole time anyway? Finding ways to get in there was fun I guess, but they seemed to do very little work to it.

Angry Grimace said:
Also, does anyone else find it kind of funny that despite getting it getting a lot of relative publicity, Kurdran Wildhammer still has voiced quotes that imply he's on the Council of Three Hammers, and thus make no sense.

Blizzard's too confident that the fanbase follows the stupid books so 80% of important things don't even happen in game.

Such as Med'an apparently being super important, but literally never showing up in game, ever.

Fandral Staghelm went insane, cursed Teldrassil, was keeping Malfurion stuck in the dream by poisoning him with morrowgrain, and turned out to be mind controlled Xavius from the Emerald Dream (the leader of the Satyrs). This never was explained in game. Instead, you full Fandral out of a prison in Hyjal with no real reason to understand why he was hanging out in Darnassus and now is randomly a prisoner.

The Varian/Lo'Gosh thing which explains WHERE THE FUCK THE KING WAS FOR 3 YEARS was literally never explained in game. He simply showed up with voiced quotes reflecting events that didn't make any sense if you hadn't gone out of your way to read either their shitty comic book or a WoWwiki summary.

Not only did Magni's "death" (he'll be alive again eventually, obviously) not occur as an in game event, but nobody in game can really explain it to you.

There's a lot of strange timeline issues, obviously, all of Northrend is in some kind of time warp now, I don't really like the fact that Moira has the heir to the Dark Iron clan and is pissed about Thaursssan being dead, but Tharissan is still the boss of BRD, etc.

I really don't see how it's too onerous to produce in game cutscenes on demand to explain major story events that an NPC will just show you.

"Seeing content" is used wrong.

I agree. Shouldn't there be Dwarf priests or something around him trying to cure him? They'd give a brief synopsis in conversation of what happened, etc. Lots of the actual cataclysm changes (sundering of the Barrens, fighting over WPL, etc) are told this way to the player, either by NPC chatter or inside the quest dialogue. You hear the bits of story, then assemble them in your mind as to what's happening, how you're going to play a part now, and what the aims are in the future.

Why has Old Ironforge been locked this whole time anyway? Finding ways to get in there was fun I guess, but they seemed to do very little work to it.

IF was, along with SW, Org, and to a lesser extent UC, heavily changed during Beta; it used to wrap around the inside of the cavern much more, with alot of bridges, stories, and Gnomeregan below it via elevator. They changed much of it, but for some reason never got around to connecting it to all those "mountain climbing" areas that you can now fly to on the mountain outside, and sealed off the deep regions (no gameplay/lore purpose?).

I haven't played for a few months (about 4 I think) how are Fire mages now? Do we still go Oom 4 seconds into a fight because we casted fireball too many times? and have to scorch until we get mana back?

No45

Angelus Errare said:
I haven't played for a few months (about 4 I think) how are Fire mages now? Do we still go Oom 4 seconds into a fight because we casted fireball too many times? and have to scorch until we get mana back?
Mana efficiency has very recently been buffed with a base mana reduction on Fireball, so it's supposed to be much better now. I'm only doing heroics so I can't give any anecdotal backup though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I still can't understand what Blizzard was thinking by putting Stonecore in the game.

It's long, tedious, and has a boss at the end that you're entirely at the mercy of having a tank that doesn't fuck up even once, which almost never happens.

Ramirez

Angry Grimace said:
I still can't understand what Blizzard was thinking by putting Stonecore in the game.

It's long, tedious, and has a boss at the end that you're entirely at the mercy of having a tank that doesn't fuck up even once, which almost never happens.

Stonecore is so easy...?

Angry Grimace

Ramirez said:
Stonecore is so easy...?
That's just intentionally ignoring the premise (although I knew it would be the first response anyways, because "____ is easy" is the first response to any post on any forum which brings up a dungeon/raid problem), which is that Ozruk is entirely reliant on someone else knowing how to do it, which occurs almost never in the LFG system unless you either ARE the tank or brought one you know, and if they fuck up even once, you wipe and they ragequit.

It isn't the same thing as saying X raid boss is easy because you don't necessarily have a choice who you're playing with.

Angry Grimace said:
That's just intentionally ignoring the premise (although I knew it would be the first response anyways, because "____ is easy" is the first response to any post on any forum which brings up a dungeon/raid problem), which is that Ozruk is entirely reliant on someone else knowing how to do it, which occurs almost never in the LFG system unless you either ARE the tank or brought one you know, and if they fuck up even once, you wipe and they ragequit.

It isn't the same thing as saying X raid boss is easy because you don't necessarily have a choice who you're playing with.
Stonecore is fine, it's just that ozruk take skill to tank, skills you don't learn from tanking him in non heroic. So few tanks know or have the patience to do him.

Angry Grimace

elrechazao said:
Stonecore is fine, it's just that ozruk take skill to tank, skills you don't learn from tanking him in non heroic. So few tanks know or have the patience to do him.
I'd put it more as the problem is that its too unforgiving for a place where you don't necessarily have choice who you play with because the mechanics cause the tank to die in one hit.

The problem is that in 5 man dungeons, for the most part, the skill of the other players can cover for the other players shortcomings, but even if you had four guys from Paragon and a LFG tank, they could die over and over.

Alex

Stonecore is short and probably one of the easiest heroics if you have a tank who isn't a moron. They can't balance everything around morons.

Ramirez

Well I mean yea, the boss was hard at first, but it's easy once people learn how to do it. You can't really expect Blizzard to not put certain things in because some guy won't take 5 minutes to learn how to tank a fight...

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i dont understand why they're even bothering with old ironforge....what's the point of it now? is there even going to be a quest in there?

Angry Grimace

Ramirez said:
Well I mean yea, the boss was hard at first, but it's easy once people learn how to do it. You can't really expect Blizzard to not put certain things in because some guy won't take 5 minutes to learn how to tank a fight...
That's not the point. The point is that most fights don't require absolute precision on the part of one player. Generally, you can get around a mediocre tank, but you can't compensate at all on a boss that has 2 moves that kill you in one hit. None of the other bosses in any of the other heroics are nearly that unforgiving.

The problem is that you're at the mercy of a lot of other players and you can't really just tell them how to not fail at it. It's not so bad in a guild group, but that's not always possible.

davepoobond said:
i dont understand why they're even bothering with old ironforge....what's the point of it now? is there even going to be a quest in there?
Becuase they are going to get around to fixing Magni at some point.

thatbox

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
I'd put it more as the problem is that its too unforgiving for a place where you don't necessarily have choice who you play with because the mechanics cause the tank to die in one hit.

The problem is that in 5 man dungeons, for the most part, the skill of the other players can cover for the other players shortcomings, but even if you had four guys from Paragon and a LFG tank, they could die over and over.
Not true at all. I've tanked him as a holy paladin after a shitty pug tank failed. He barely hits for anything so I'm sure any well-armored competent player could easily step in after the tank died.

Angry Grimace said:
The problem is that you're at the mercy of a lot of other players and you can't really just tell them how to not fail at it. It's not so bad in a guild group, but that's not always possible.

It's a multiplayer game...

Alex

I've tanked him as an Enhancement Shaman when the original tank died as well! There is nothing really hard about that boss, IMO. You run through him when he does his Quake attack if it 's facing you and you run ten yards or so away from him when he tries to shatter. Shatter also has a clear visual, as of 4.0.6.

I keep hearing Stonecore is hard, but to me, it's honestly one of the easiest heroics. It's well paced and short.

For PUG tedium, I'd be more worried about Grim Batol.

davepoobond said:

Yeah the timing seems weird. I really think Blizzard is using this expansion as a time to throw completely random shit in the game. Everything is being updated to be in line with the better design choices they've made over the years such as questing and whatnot, but as I've stated repeatedly, Cataclysm feels extremely generic and random in direction and theme.

I'm not complaining that it's being added, it's always cool to see new stuff like that but...Above.

Angry Grimace

Alex said:
I've tanked him as an Enhancement Shaman when the original tank died as well! There is nothing really hard about that boss, IMO. You run through him when he does his Quake attack if it 's facing you and you run ten yards or so away from him when he tries to shatter. Shatter also has a clear visual, as of 4.0.6.

I keep hearing Stonecore is hard, but to me, it's honestly one of the easiest heroics. It's well paced and short.

For PUG tedium, I'd be more worried about Grim Batol.
GB isn't hard at all other than being annoying if you don't have the right comp to slow both of the Corruptors. If you have reasonably high DPS, there's nothing hard about GB at all. I never really understood why people give GB the rep as being so hard.

Speculative, but possibly the "Legendary Caster Staff"

fVuWTl.jpg

Angry Grimace said:

Looks cool, but I wish they'd make a legendary one-hander instead. The fact that staves are still in the game just seems ridiculous to me.

Hopefully it's a DPS item anyway... there hasn't been a DPS caster legendary in the game since Classic. (Kael weapons don't count!)

No45 said:
Mana efficiency has very recently been buffed with a base mana reduction on Fireball, so it's supposed to be much better now. I'm only doing heroics so I can't give any anecdotal backup though.

It's not that much different. With a large pool (95-100k) before you could deal with pretty much any fight. It's a little nicer now, but not really game-changing in my experience.

J-Rzez

Angry Grimace said:

Most boring looking legendary to date, so fugly, and has zero "cool" too it at all. So much so I doubt that's a legendary at all. That's epic quality at best, either PVP or PVE wise.

Angry Grimace

DeathNote said:
Is Warglaive easy to solo for?
It's not possible AFAIK.

Then again, a DK soloed Marrowgar, so who knows. The other problem is that you don't get the Warglaive achievement unless you get both the mainhand AND the offhand.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
It's not possible AFAIK.

Then again, a DK soloed Marrowgar, so who knows. The other problem is that you don't get the Warglaive achievement unless you get both the mainhand AND the offhand.
I like soloing stuff on my DK and one or both look awesome equipped.

Lolligag

DeathNote said:

Their answer was that it would've made IF more confusing than necessary, their original plan was to make IF 2 floors.

This addition makes complete sense now though since it coincides with the Shattering book.

Angry Grimace said:
It's not possible AFAIK.

That same DK has solo'd Illidan.

Hunters can solo Marrowgar and actually kill btw. Only Worgen/Goblin though.

Surely you could go into BT with a friend and farm it more easily. Also less anguish if the same glaive drops again.

I still want Thunderfury, I'm quite capable of doing MC alone now so if I only had the time...

Rokam

We trio'd BT, 2 of them downed first boss before I got there. Just a matter of freeing person from spike. No healer except on Reliquary. Ret pally, DK tank, Hunter. Only tough fight was Illidari Council, had to have hunter go BM for Hysteria and we just burned the priest before they killed us. Illidan was a joke. Good luck!

Miragith

Rokam said:
We trio'd BT, 2 of them downed first boss before I got there. Just a matter of freeing person from spike. No healer except on Reliquary. Ret pally, DK tank, Hunter. Only tough fight was Illidari Council, had to have hunter go BM for Hysteria and we just burned the priest before they killed us. Illidan was a joke. Good luck!

I think you forgot to mention that Warglaive dropped on the first kill.

Cyrillus

J-Rzez said:
I'd rather that tiki torch tbh. There's no excuse for boring ugly junk this day and age in WoW.

Just to clarify, if that image posted is the new legendary, I am severely disappointed, as it's definitely the most boring looking legendary other than Atiesh. And yes, I get that Atiesh was pre-existing art, but they could've made it look less boring. I remember being so disappointed as the top caster dps in my guild when I found out it looked like that.

As for the model itself, it needs to be about twice as long behind the grip in order to even look like a staff, as it is it looks kind of like a retarded mace.

Really guys? if you are lucky enough to be one of the classes that gets it and your guild gives you one congratulations you just got a legendary that will be bis for most if not the rest of cataclysm; the last thing you get to complain about is that it doesn't look epic enough.

Cyrillus

cuevas said:
Really guys? if you are lucky enough to be one of the classes that gets it and your guild gives you one congratulations you just got a legendary that will be bis for most if not the rest of cataclysm; the last thing you get to complain about is that it doesn't look epic enough.

This is WoW-GAF, dude.

How is complaining about the looks of this weapon any different than the multiple-page discussion on the looks of T11 or any of the complaints on the looks of the game in general? Gaming is in part a visual experience; complaints about looks, while subjective, are perfectly valid.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
These new phoenix mounts looks awesome. I just hope the proto drake animations are a placeholder, because it looks kinda stupid, and the wings will clip a lot through the ground.

Angry Grimace said:
That's not the point. The point is that most fights don't require absolute precision on the part of one player. Generally, you can get around a mediocre tank, but you can't compensate at all on a boss that has 2 moves that kill you in one hit. None of the other bosses in any of the other heroics are nearly that unforgiving.

Oddly, if I was going to complain about a Stonecore boss, it'd have been Corborus, but they fixed him up pretty significantly in 4.0.6 and he also trivializes much more significantly than some other bosses with better gear. When people were trying to do him at i329 and with the shorter emerge time and confusing visual effects he was pretty obnoxious for a first-in-instance boss.

Ozruk's one-hit moves are very avoidable if you know what to do, and "what to do" is relatively basic movement (run through for the one, get out of the circle for the other.) You can't guarantee that the tank will do them right, but they're not the hardest thing a tank will be asked to do and as others mentioned your next-least-squishy DPS can offtank him fairly effectively if the tank goes down at 33% or whatever.

Just to clarify, I really don't mean "the fight is easy" or anything, but I do think it's not wildly out of keeping with other fights in the tier. The worst thing that's wrong with it is that hunters have no good way to pick up the bleed. :p

Angry Grimace said:
GB isn't hard at all other than being annoying if you don't have the right comp to slow both of the Corruptors.

It's just much more of a gear check than any other heroic fight I can think of. I can't think of anything else offhand in the heroics where if your DPS are subpar you simply will not clear the boss.

Angry Grimace

Bisnic said:
These new phoenix mounts looks awesome. I just hope the proto drake animations are a placeholder, because it looks kinda stupid, and the wings will clip a lot through the ground.
What I don't like about the animations is that Proto-drakes are fucking enormous and we don't need more fucking enormous mounts because 90% of the flying mounts that aren't default mounts are fucking enormous.

This is why I still rock the best mount, the Cenarion Hippogryph.

Maybe those are the new gladiator mounts, which would be sweet. They aren't even giving FoS anymore for realm firsts to individuals, not to mention no titles either. At least give a cool mount or pet :\

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Angry Grimace said:
What I don't like about the animations is that Proto-drakes are fucking enormous and we don't need more fucking enormous mounts because 90% of the flying mounts that aren't default mounts are fucking enormous.

This is why I still rock the best mount, the Cenarion Hippogryph.

Does one of the Argent Tournament hippogryphs counts? :p That's all i have, for now. Trying to get 100 mounts for the achievement and the Dragonhawk mount, so i'll have no choice to get the Cenarion one too. 79/100 so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom