• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheYanger

charlequin said:
The bigger thing for me is that the number of people who are actually butting their heads against the "hard modes are too hard, easy modes are too easy" problem is still pretty small. Wowprogress shows only 17% of all raiding guilds have cleared Nefarian even once; only 25% have cleared Al'Akir, and only 33% have cleared Cho'gall.

(They also have 15% having downed heroic Halfus, so there aren't that many people clearing normal but stalling out before even trying heroic.)

To be perfectly honest though, that's a bit misleading. It's never been as simple as "People kill the last on normal easy and then brick wall before any heroics". Halfus heroic is EASIER than normal nefarian. Nef is a tough fight to learn, especially 10 man, so that skews it even more.
They're slowly nerfing the heroic modes, much to the rejoicing of the average guild, but by and large once you get the first few really really easy ones down people are definitely hitting brick walls. Twin Dragons is probably the major one at the moment. I would wager the number of guilds that can do 5/6 heroic BWD but only Halfus in BoT is quite large. And it used to be like that for everything but Halfus/Chim/Maloriak/Conclave (Conclave is still harder than most of the rest, but people did it anyway because that was the kill order Paragon/premo/etc did)

J-Rzez

mclem said:
God forbid they ever ask the players to step out of their comfort zone.

Step out of their comfort zone to piss-poor playing mechanics? Vash was terrible. If it were a 60-80 quest zone, maybe it would not have wore too thin on people. But they just milked the hell out of the zone to show off their gimmick which numerous people were not too pleased with. Look how many people skipped that zone from there on out on their alts. I know I did on my 3 alts after doing it on my main.

ToyMachine228 said:
My problem with Vash is that it's far too long. I didn't mind the "zone" itself, adds some variety to the game. But the fact that there's like 180 quests there make it drag and feel endless and it loses it's fun factor. I've skipped it on both of the alts I've leveled. Did it on my first 80-85 trip and don't really intend to do it again.

That was a big part of the problem sure, but also the gimmick wore off real fast. To rely on verticle gameplay in such a manner was annoying. But throw in the number of quests in said zone to drag it out really-really gave it the kiss of death to many of players.

Rez said:
ow, my brain

Zone flat out sucked man, sorry I don't agree with you and stuff!

J-Rzez said:
That was a big part of the problem sure, but also the gimmick wore off real fast. To rely on verticle gameplay in such a manner was annoying. But throw in the number of quests in said zone to drag it out really-really gave it the kiss of death to many of players.

That's what I mean. If they trimmed it down to like...60 quests that center around showing cool stuff under water and in the zone it would be a cool zone. There's no reason for it to be so long considering if you're rested you can skip two entire zones from 80 to 85.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm wondering is the blue PVP set is even worth it. I lose a little bit in every stats, not to mention gem sockets, compared to my PVE epics or 346 blues, all this for 105-140-189 res a piece? Is this worth it or should i just keep my PVE set for more damage and stamina?

Note : Frost mage.

Just now someone got the world first Glory of the Cataclysm Raider (Immersion EU, on the front page of MMO-Champ.)

I'd say that's a damn good reason for pushing Firelands back, barring other considerations.

Related: I wonder why Paragon and other top guilds don't pursue the metas as well as kills. I suppose they don't consider it part of the progression since a lot of the achievements are like side quests you do once, but still...

Bisnic said:
I'm wondering is the blue PVP set is even worth it. I lose a little bit in every stats, not to mention gem sockets, compared to my PVE epics or 346 blues, all this for 105-140-189 res a piece? Is this worth it or should i just keep my PVE set for more damage and stamina?

Note : Frost mage.

This is what I hate about PVP. I was running a rated bg with my guild group in full PVE gear the other day. People have so much resilience that frost doesn't even tickle them with 359 ilevel PVE gear. When PVP is a choice between not doing damage and dying quickly and not doing damage and living longer I'm not sure how it's supposed to be fun for classes that are damage dealers. :(

Yeah, though. Your concern in PVP is living longer. You're not going to do good damage either way. (Fire seems to, actually, but you die in about 3 seconds.)

CarbonatedFalcon said:
Just now someone got the world first Glory of the Cataclysm Raider (Immersion EU, on the front page of MMO-Champ.)

I'd say that's a damn good reason for pushing Firelands back, barring other considerations.

Related: I wonder why Paragon and other top guilds don't pursue the metas as well as kills. I suppose they don't consider it part of the progression since a lot of the achievements are like side quests you do once, but still...

1. Pushing back, no. Tossing out holdover leftovers, yes.

2. No need to. New dead bosses (or at least vastly different difficulty modes) have more pull than X% more HP/Damage.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
SatelliteOfLove said:
1. Pushing back, no. Tossing out holdover leftovers, yes.

2. No need to. New dead bosses (or at least vastly different difficulty modes) have more pull than X% more HP/Damage.
This, and I completely disagree that the allure of raiding is loot and loot alone. Loot is nice, but most people play because of the camraderie and because its fun to work together and achieve a common goal.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Woohoo! I took a month's break and came back to get the Hellfire quest and exploration achievements. Selling all the ore and motes I've found has netted me over 500 gold, fantastic!

J-Rzez

CarbonatedFalcon said:

That's not good enough reason at all.

1. Not all guilds have the time needed to invest into HMs to get said meta
2. Not all players really give a shit about said meta, and just want to do new content. They're bored of the same old scenery, they're bored of the same old bosses. Thus they don't play nearly as much.
3. If blizzard went off of data such as this, we'd still be in ICC.

Old, boring content is old and boring. Period. Do I feel for you guys that are just getting into the content? Sure, but it's not like this wouldn't stop you guys from going in there when "firelands" hit, for the "experience". This game shouldn't be designed around the ultra-hardcore, nor should it be around the ulta-casuals just hitting 85, starting heroics, or just finally stepping into the raid itself.

Alex

Frost DK is so nice on the PTR and the new sims for it are very encouraging. I like it more than my Shaman, actually but I need to have something with a healing tree! I don't think I'd be very happy if I didn't have the option to heal.

Mini rant in that my dk is pretty much raid ready on both tank and dps spec and still no bastard fucking heroic 2 hander has dropped :<
Half tempted to switch to dw frost just to get some upgrades!

On the upside ive discovered the the joys of trolling people in bgs by being blood/tank gear and having people come at me and struggle to take me below 50% to which i then kill them haha takes like 4 people or more and im sure i had 6 on me at one point giving me 30-40k DS heals :D

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Johnlenham said:
Mini rant in that my dk is pretty much raid ready on both tank and dps spec and still no bastard fucking heroic 2 hander has dropped :<
Half tempted to switch to dw frost just to get some upgrades!

On the upside ive discovered the the joys of trolling people in bgs by being blood/tank gear and having people come at me and struggle to take me below 50% to which i then kill them haha takes like 4 people or more and im sure i had 6 on me at one point giving me 30-40k DS heals :D
The best BG troll is to cast Bloodlust during the preparation phase.

It's not even a big deal but people get PISSED.

Bisnic

johnsmith

remember me
Does anybody feel like you level too fast now? What's the point of all this new low level content if you don't even see most of it. Started leveling a goblin. With heirloom cape, shoulders, and chest I feel like I'm leveling too fast. Have had to skip tons of Azshara quests because they've gone grey. Didn't touch Northern barrens. And I'm already level 24! I can skip ahead to the 25-30 zones and skip Hillsbrad and Ashenvale completely. I wish quests and mobs would stay green longer so I could focus on the zones I found more interesting rather than the ones I'm supposed to be in.

Mairu

johnsmith said:
Does anybody feel like you level too fast now? What's the point of all this new low level content if you don't even see most of it. Started leveling a goblin. With heirloom cape, shoulders, and chest I feel like I'm leveling too fast. Have had to skip tons of Azshara quests because they've gone grey. Didn't touch Northern barrens. And I'm already level 24! I can skip ahead to the 25-30 zones and skip Hillsbrad and Ashenvale completely. I wish quests and mobs would stay green longer so I could focus on the zones I found more interesting rather than the ones I'm supposed to be in.
god no

maybe it's fun or interesting the first time but once you've already done it it's a chore to do it again

Songbird

Prodigal Son
So my main is lvl65, has over 800 gold but doesn't have old-world flying yet. What crazy expensive items should I buy to flaunt my incredible wealth?

Bisnic

johnsmith said:

Well stop using heirlooms then if you feel you lvl too fast. Dont log off inside inns or main cities too. Might help a little. Or worst, turn off XP if you're a little bit crazy.

Won

johnsmith said:

For the first 20 level or so it is too fast, yes, but it slows down to a pretty good pace after a while. Well, as long you don't wear heirloom stuff anyway.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
johnsmith said:
When I was do doing 1-60 with heirlooms I was timing many levels at 15-30 mins.

60-85 is long, even with the nerfs.

SatelliteOfLove said:
That's just a sign to not do something you're bored of.
What?

Someone's bored of their classes and wants a different one but they are also bored of leveling 1-85 yet again. According to you, they should.. stop playing wow?

Mairu

SatelliteOfLove said:
That's just a sign to not do something you're bored of.
i like dungeons and raids, i don't like redoing quest/levelling content

can't exactly get around it if i want other classes to play

Dexa

Banned
DeathNote said:
Someone's bored of their classes and wants a different one but they are also bored of leveling 1-85 yet again. According to you, they should.. stop playing wow?
i would agree to that - stop playing if your bored, else your just feeding your addiction.

Alright, so maybe someone who plays an Affliction Warlock (or is just super smart) can help me out here.

My damage is BGs and Arenas is fine, im having no trouble in those. Ive got full Brutal and a good amount of Vicious pieces, and ive made sure to get enough +hit so my gear is not really the issue. But for some damn reason I dont do enough damage on bosses and stuff.

Is there some sort of super rotation that I dont know about?

I make sure to:

- Keep up BoA, Corruption, Haunt, and Unstable Affliction.
- I cast Shadow Bolts in between keeping my dots up to keep 'Shadow Embrace' and 'Shadow and Flame' up.
- I go crazy from not doing enough damage!

So what am I missing? What am I doing wrong? Recount says im only getting 8k, that not enough for a full damage class.

Zaptruder

Banned
Nobiru said:
Alright, so maybe someone who plays an Affliction Warlock (or is just super smart) can help me out here.

My damage is BGs and Arenas is fine, im having no trouble in those. Ive got full Brutal and a good amount of Vicious pieces, and ive made sure to get enough +hit so my gear is not really the issue. But for some damn reason I dont do enough damage on bosses and stuff.

I make sure to:

- I cast Shadow Bolts in between keeping my dots up to keep 'Shadow Embrace' and 'Shadow and Flame' up.

So what am I missing? What am I doing wrong? Recount says im only getting 8k, that not enough for a full damage class.

Maximum of 4 pieces of PVP gear for PVE so that you can use the set bonuses on the PVP gear. Don't use any PVP pieces that don't contribute towards the set bonus.

But yeah, really, you're losing about 10-15% of the items effective damage capacity when you use PVP stuff... and resilience doesn't actually do anything for PVE.

After that, make sure you have the stuff gemmed and enchanted appropriately for PVE (i.e. not stam stuff).

After that, you'll have to do a bit more research, because I'm a hunter :p

TheExodu5

Banned
johnsmith said:

This might be a stupidly obvious suggestion, but: remove your heirlooms.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
johnsmith said:
if you don't care about leveling fast and only want to explore all the new content, just do the grey quests. you don't HAVE to go to the next zones.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Even without heirlooms, you level very fast from 1-60. You pretty much have to skip zones if you try to complete each one you do, unless you are fine with doing grey quests.

Zaptruder said:
Maximum of 4 pieces of PVP gear for PVE so that you can use the set bonuses on the PVP gear. Don't use any PVP pieces that don't contribute towards the set bonus.

But yeah, really, you're losing about 10-15% of the items effective damage capacity when you use PVP stuff... and resilience doesn't actually do anything for PVE.

After that, make sure you have the stuff gemmed and enchanted appropriately for PVE (i.e. not stam stuff).

After that, you'll have to do a bit more research, because I'm a hunter :p

So I guess I should do some Heroic Dungeons, and get a little gear, then with that gear I can move into the Normal Raids? or can I skip right into normal raids?

...I guess I should get a guild, haha.

Mairu

Nobiru said:
So I guess I should do some Heroic Dungeons, and get a little gear, then with that gear I can move into the Normal Raids? or can I skip right into normal raids?

normal dungeons -> heroic dungeons -> (unreleased za/zg dungeons) -> normal raids -> heroic raids

TheExodu5

Banned
Nobiru said:

You're going to be expected to be nearly full 346 (with maybe a piece of Valor as well) by the time you start raiding, unless you find a guild that's willing to carry you.

mclem

While they're lower iLvl, I wouldn't be surprised if ZA/ZG have some pieces which are better itemised than their equivalents from raids.

TheExodu5

Banned
mclem said:
While they're lower iLvl, I wouldn't be surprised if ZA/ZG have some pieces which are better itemised than their equivalents from raids.

I'm hoping for a Rogue trinket. The only raid trinket worth getting for Rogues is Prestor's, and I don't know if I'll see it drop or not. If I get an AGI + mastery proc, I'm set.

Alex

Really like the new DK PvP armor visuals, it's over the top (as always) but at least it's thematic and cool. I'm always oddly biased to things with devil horns, though! Felheart Helm = best helm.

mclem

TheExodu5 said:
I'm hoping for a Rogue trinket. The only raid trinket worth getting for Rogues is Prestor's, and I don't know if I'll see it drop or not. If I get an AGI + mastery proc, I'm set.

While it's a use rather than a proc, I assume you're already aware of http://www.wowhead.com/item=62468 ? Not a raid trinket, but raid-level.

Also probably servicable for tanks, but I'm not sure I can face all the Tol Barad work that would be required to get that.

Angry Grimace

Nobiru said:

I make sure to:

A few points:

Bane of Agony is worse than Bane of Doom, even for Affliction.

You should be using the Succubus as your demon, with Lash of Pain, Corruption and Haunt glyphed.

You should be using Demon Soul on cooldown. If the boss has less than 25% health, you should spend a Soul Shard on summoning the Felhunter to pop Demon Soul. (I never bother to do this)

Under 25% health, you just spam Drain Soul and Haunt and refresh Bane of Doom if you need to.

If you're standing close enough to the boss, you can cast Shadowflame. Don't run out of your way to do this.

Affliction just doesn't do as much DPS as Destruction. On bosses that are relatively static, i.e. first boss in Vortex Pinnacle, I can do well over 18000 DPS, and I've never taken my Warlock inside a raid zone. I'd have to check that out as Affliction, but I'm very certain it's less. Affliction is getting buffed in the next patch; 5% extra Shadow Damage and the Felhunter is getting buffed up presumably past where the Succubus is.

Eh, we have people in our guild reroll all the time if their current class sucks. Most people don't want to level to 85 over and over but they do it cuz raiding is fun.

J-Rzez

Alex said:
Really like the new DK PvP armor visuals, it's over the top (as always) but at least it's thematic and cool. I'm always oddly biased to things with devil horns, though! Felheart Helm = best helm.

Blizzard Vs Nomura... Mouths Vs Zippers.

Seriously, too many mouths on the new DK pvp set. Set, shoulders especially, looks great otherwise. When you equip the helm I heard it automatically unchecks "display helm" though.

Alex

That is true! :lol I still like it though. I always find the best looking armor to be the modern leveling gear though, I like it because it's subdued and easy on the eyes. I'm into earthy stuff, myself.

Like to me, this:

11ipmav.png

Looks great and looks better than a lot of the end game weapons, and all it is is a leveling craftable. Sure its not as detailed or fancy, but I like the simple appeal of it. Some dudes are complaining that the new legendary isn't covered with ENOUGH details or flames! I say its just about right, and they shouldnt go any further.

Narag

Alex said:
That is true! :lol I still like it though. I always find the best looking armor to be the modern leveling stuff though, I like it because it's subdued and easy on the eyes.

I'm probably not with swaths of company on this one, but I'm just really into stuff like that.

Looks great and looks better than a lot of the end game weapons, and all it is is a leveling craftable. Sure its not as detailed or fancy, but I like the simple appeal of it.

I'm with you on that. Reminds me of some comic or quote I saw somewhere that pointed out the uglier your character was on WoW, the more highly geared you were.

Alex

I don't know if I agree with that, but their tier gear is insanely hit or miss. They need to go back to proper themeatics and limiting their color schemes.

That's a big part of how come T5, etc looked so good is cuz you could look at a person and instantly say "well, that's a Priest!" nowadays it's not like that at all. Like my Shaman armor now, it's not bad looking but... I mean it's not very shamanistic either.

Like for example, Mages look like Warlocks, at the moment, Priests look like... Aquamancers or something, Hunters look like they fell into the trash bin at the fish shop. Only DKs really seem to keep their running theme.

J-Rzez

I have to agree. Some things have just gotten too over the top. Sometimes the simpler things look better. Like that sword. Add 2 or 3 mouths on it and it'd be perfect then! Oh, and fire... add lots of fire effects. So much you can't see the model at all.

I think they should save all the "crazy" stuff for legendaries personally.

Angry Grimace

Alex said:
I don't know if I agree with that, but their tier gear is insanely hit or miss. They need to go back to proper themeatics and limiting their color schemes.

That's a big part of how come T5, etc looked so good is cuz you could look at a person and instantly say "well, that's a Priest!" nowadays it's not like that at all. Like my Shaman armor now, it's not bad looking but... I mean it's not very shamanistic either.

Like for example, Mages look like Warlocks, at the moment, Priests look like... Aquamancers or something, Hunters look like they fell into the trash bin at the fish shop. Only DKs really seem to keep their running theme.
The Mage set is supposed to look like the new Elemental model (which of course, is a reskin of the Ethereal model) Each set is supposed to look like certain things; the Warlock set is supposed to look like the Twilight encampment stuff, the Mages are supposed to be those elemental guys, the Priests are supposed to be like Water blokes from Vashj, etc. etc.

TBC had far, far better set design than anything I saw in Wrath or vanilla, really.

PatzCU

Does anyone who plays a Druid have some tips on the best way to keybind the different shapeshift forms? I'm nearing lvl 85 on my Druid and I'm going to need to start getting serious about keybinds for PvP/Raiding. It's also going to suck having to learn Resto and Balance as I've been leveling purely with Feral for the speed.

J-Rzez

Angry Grimace said:
TBC had far, far better set design than anything I saw in Wrath or vanilla, really.

T5_Warlock_Bloodelf.jpg

Quick search for a pic to post, but this agrees wholeheartedly. TBC > Vanilla > Wrath > thus far in Cata.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom