• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

IsayFever

Entropia said:
Thundercall has a lower drop rate because while it was (on WoWhead's DB) a drop from that boss, it wasn't actually in the game until 4.0.6.

Really? I could swear I had seen it prior

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
IsayFever said:
Really? I could swear I had seen it prior
Heroic version had no drop because Thundercall is a trash drop and there are no "heroic" trash drops in raids or dungeons.

It makes the regular version's drop seem really low since there's such a low chance of it dropping from an individual mob.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I see. Thanks.

So... must do 1-60 zones as Alliance?

I only did half of Westfall because dungeons made me out level them.
Redridge was fun.

I'm 24 now.

mclem

Duskwood's great. I'd try to make sure you get through there. Having said that, I've not been there post-cataclysm. I do recall it being a real high point of original levelling, though.

Most people i knew suggested STV, however i found that it was way too long. Such a major chunk of my 1-60 experience was taken up by STV. Their pretty good zones but you will be skipping a lot of other areas if you go there.

Ok, so im very stupid.

Basically my 8k figure was from my just hitting a targeting dummy, unbuffed.

Yeah Im really that stupid :p .

So, Ive taken the time, to look through some of the gear I should have had through quests in Twilight Highlands, and the trinkets I should have. Luckily I kept my PvE trinkets so Im good there (and I have a rare world drop Figurine Jeweled Serpent thats pretty awesome). Ive also looked at the rep stuff I should get, and it looks like it would be a little better than my Bloodthirsty stuff, but thats only 3 pieces (4 if you include the crafted belt I guess). I think im actually in a pretty good place gear wise.

I will listen to your advice though, and go through some Heroic Dungeons. Fully buffed I have no doubt I will be getting at least 13k.

My Feral Druid buddy was standin next to me as we fooled around on these targeting dummy's too, hes got a little better gear than me,and he was just hitting 8.5 or so, and the last Baradin Hold I did with him, he was at least 12k with worse gear than he has now. So im not sure why I was so stupid, and didnt take that into account, haha.

Edit: I should also add that the whole "10k in quest greens" thing was actually true for me during very specific times while leveling. I remember when I was 84 and maybe not exactly all just quest greens, but pretty bad gear none the less. I was Demon spec at the time, and while running Lost City of Tol'Vir with a few cooldowns and tossing out a bunch of AoE I hit around 11k a couple times, and was very happy. haha. Most of the dungeons I would run I would sit between 6 and 8k though, which for a Demon spec lock thats not 85 and in pretty standard gear from quests and the occasional Dungeon drop wasnt horrible. I wasnt often the best DPS in the group, but I was never the worst.

So basically, I think I made a snap reaction to my new spec and came and posted here, now that Ive calmed down and remembered some stuff, I think everything will be ok. haha.

Manus

Might wanna try out Destruction. I love playing my Destro lock and it seems to out do all the other casters when I'm raiding or doing heroics. Also make sure you're using Dark Intent.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
SquirrelNuckle said:
Might wanna try out Destruction. I love playing my Destro lock and it seems to out do all the other casters when I'm raiding or doing heroics. Also make sure you're using Dark Intent.
Destro is only second to hunters in DPS right now.

Warlock and Hunter the FOTM DPS classes, although very few people seem to actually have warlocks. There's a lot of mages still stuck on the easiness of Arcane, even if it does less damage.

Mairu

Angry Grimace said:
Destro is only second to hunters in DPS right now.

Warlock and Hunter the FOTM DPS classes, although very few people seem to actually have warlocks. There's a lot of mages still stuck on the easiness of Arcane, even if it does less damage.
We've gone from 4 active raiding warlocks to only 1 in the past month, for some reason :(

SquirrelNuckle said:

The problem is I still really like Demon for dailies and just general solo stuff.

It seems to be Affliction = PvP, Demon = Solo, Destro = Raids. I dont have room for all 3 :(.

vilmer_

Does anyone know of a macro or addon where I can bind it to a /say when I steal a pallys wings? Ideally I'd like to have a phrase when I successfully steal it :p

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
DeathNote said:
/say I stole your wings.

?

Yeah but that simple macro would make him say that no matter what spell he steal. He only wants it if he steal that particular spell.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Bisnic said:
Yeah but that simple macro would make him say that no matter what spell he steal. He only wants it if he steal that particular spell.
You can decide when you hit a one line macro :p

I don't know how to check for a buff then say something.

Rather than wasting an input I guess you could make a modifier version of a common spell you'd use during the buff.

Is this for duels only? The other faction can't read it.

Had a guy PM me asking me to stand still so he could take a screenshot of me. It was nice for someone to ask that so I did. He spent the next 30 minutes asking me questions about druids. I'm a paladin.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I find if I stand in front of someone and go first person they move. So... I go behind them a ways and don't face them, zoom out, and fix the camera angle to have a perfect first person view. But they still eventually jump around like monkeys.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I can't figure out what something was. I checked live, DBM, and PTR.

I was in a party and all the dungeon adds had their own target/focus bars in the lower right side of the screen.

The noly mod I haven't checked is tidy plates, cause I feel like a dick leaving the group as soon as I get in, but that surely wouldn't be it.

Angry Grimace

vilmer_ said:
Does anyone know of a macro or addon where I can bind it to a /say when I steal a pallys wings? Ideally I'd like to have a phrase when I successfully steal it :p
The type of macro you're talking about hasn't been possible since like 1.8.

An addon could do it, but I can't really fathom WHY you'd want to do that :lol

charlequin said:
Healing is definitely harder in Cata than previous expansions, by pretty much universal agreement, but if you're having that much trouble I'd tend to look at the group first. Grand Vizier Ertan is a very straightforward fight movement-wise since you're mostly paying attention to a single, very visible element that repeats in a completely consistent pattern, so people really shouldn't be taking massive damage on that fight often at all.

I've seen both sides of the coin now. Been in bad groups where people are just massive fail and there's no way I can keep them up.

And I've been in good ones where everyone knows the fights and my workload as a healer is much easier because DPS don't do stupid things.

I'm still not quite used to Cata healing as a resto druid and I haven't done all the Heroics as a healer yet but so far as good. Only so much I can do.

Culex

Banned
Healer's have a hard time, especially in a PUG. Too many people really have no clue as to what they are doing, and then blame the healer. Guess what? If you're a DPS, you need to do more than just DPS, you have to KNOW THE DAMN fight.

Really boggles my mind.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Culex said:
Healer's have a hard time, especially in a PUG. Too many people really have no clue as to what they are doing, and then blame the healer. Guess what? If you're a DPS, you need to do more than just DPS, you have to KNOW THE DAMN fight.

Really boggles my mind.
You also have to practice the fight before you completely know it.

Culex said:

Yeah that is the biggest change for me as a healer is trusting the rest of the group to do their part.

Healing is fairly new to me, it's the only role I have not played much and I've been around since launch. I imagine it'll be easier once I've done the fights with a good group so I'll know what to expect but when the entire group goes down to 25% health and I blow my mana bar and all my cooldowns and they're still dying, then someone is really screwing up.

I've played with lots of newbies that once you explain the mechanics they generally get it after 1-2 attempts. But they admit they don't know what to do and ask. It's the people who say they are good and clearly don't know or don't care to do it right that make you leave the group and do something else because you are just wasting your time.

Healing heroics is actually easier now. We are all used to wrath babies by now so you gotta have a CD ready for them or just accept the fact that they are idiots and let them die every fight. The reason I think it is easier now is because every class can do everything, there is no 1 role that any class is stuck in. Pallies have aoe heals, druids have big heals for tanks, etc.

I liked how Ulduar hard modes worked, where you had to do more than just switch it to heroic. I wonder why they went away from this model.

cuevas said:
Healing heroics is actually easier now. We are all used to wrath babies by now so you gotta have a CD ready for them or just accept the fact that they are idiots and let them die every fight. The reason I think it is easier now is because every class can do everything, there is no 1 role that any class is stuck in. Pallies have aoe heals, druids have big heals for tanks, etc.

I think it's harder because all it takes is 1 moron to wipe the group. In most random PUGs I find there's usually at least 1 DPS I am healing almost as much as the tank.

If the fight is done by the book by a competent group almost all the incoming damage is predictable making it fairly easy for me to heal everyone calmly and efficiently.

It sucks blowing a good chunk of your mana bar and cooldowns keeping some idiot alive and not having these resources when you may need them in the last 20%.

cuevas said:

I liked how Ulduar hard modes worked, where you had to do more than just switch it to heroic. I wonder why they went away from this model.

Money, Dear Boy.

KernelPanic said:
I think it's harder because all it takes is 1 moron to wipe the group. In most random PUGs I find there's usually at least 1 DPS I am healing almost as much as the tank.

If the fight is done by the book by a competent group almost all the incoming damage is predictable making it fairly easy for me to heal everyone calmly and efficiently.

It sucks blowing a good chunk of your mana bar and cooldowns keeping some idiot alive and not having these resources when you may need them in the last 20%.

That One Guy dies at the end of a pull. Especially if he's kiting. Kiting means "I don't need healing" by default <--- BM Hunter, Frost Mage, Hpriest veteran

I'm also mystified by people complaining about smooth healing times. It getting easier as people play better is common fucking sense. /boggle

Outside of raids I rarely log in now. Maybe ill level my 1 alt but that'll probably happen when our guild is 22/3 or whenever there's no cap. I'm okay paying for just the raid content. Anyone else just done farming, leveling, and gearing up? Not much else to do even on the AH. I only have 50k gold but I think it will last me till 5.0.

TheExodu5

Banned
Yeah I just raid now. Even raiding is getting to be a little much. We just downed normals and I kind of want to take a break and play some other stuff in the meantime. Problem is, I'll lose my spot as a core raider if I do so.

IsayFever

cuevas said:
Outside of raids I rarely log in now. Maybe ill level my 1 alt but that'll probably happen when our guild is 22/3 or whenever there's no cap. I'm okay paying for just the raid content. Anyone else just done farming, leveling, and gearing up? Not much else to do even on the AH. I only have 50k gold but I think it will last me till 5.0.

Yeah I'm like completely done with wow. Not even 4.1 or the thought of the firelands raid is enough to keep me entertained. Cleared 12/12 normals and dont really have a drive to keep playing

Entropia

No One Remembers
cuevas said:

Same. Log in 20 minutes before raids, log out 20 minutes after.

I don't care for alts anymore.

Alex

I was for awhile, but I'm doing an alt with a friend now and having a lot of fun. Looking forward to 4.1 although I hope 4.2 isnt far behind. We're still plugging away at hard modes which I very much enjoy.

Im more interested in the game now than I was in WOTLK around this point, that is for sure though. Even though I loved Ulduar, by the end of it I was so sick of the game I never even glanced at it until Cataclysm.

Problem is, I'll lose my spot as a core raider if I do so.

Our guild is a little more personal and open door with things, not to a ridiculous extent but I could quit a tier or two, come back, gear up and get back in.

If you feel like you're trapped though, then you should totally just quit, I mean that's not a good feeling to have a game bestow upon you. That's how dudes burn out and become bitter forum ragers :lol

Not like you couldn't come back and find another guild next time you want to play, unless you've got a big thing going with your current.

Alex

Spirit Link is WEIRD, apparently it heals and hits to do it's HP balancing, but the hits can be resisted and the heals are boosted by mastery! So in a way even the balancing act is like a net gain? Bizarre.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Entropia said:
Same. Log in 20 minutes before raids, log out 20 minutes after.

I don't care for alts anymore.
I'm on the other side of things. I leveled up 3 characters to 85 on a server waiting for 4 friends to do heroics with then they all bailed a month ago. We would have recruited people for a 10 man raid. The only other people I know on another server have a tight 10 man and a raiding schedule I can't do. Dungeon finder doesn't interest me. Aside from bad players who can't down a boss, I don't like ninjas and people who roll on gear they already have. So I'm not gearing up to APP into a random raiding guild.

Right now me and 1 friend decided to level alliance alts to experience the new content there.

This goes along with an earlier post. I feel fucked without enough wow friends on X server and non-compatible schedules on another.

I guess I should probably transfer and 85 over to at least do heroics with that tight 10 man. Maybe once they start not needing gear I could go in for a few raid bosses. But... I really need to transfer all 3 of my characters. 1, I'm over the 50k cap. 2, they all work together to make gold and support each other with crafting.

Shits expensive tho. I transfered 3 to the server people bailed on 2 months ago.

dc89

Just thought I'd pop in and kinda introduce my character as I'm new to GAF!

Well I have a 82 N Elf hunter (Aloecia) and a 85 Goblin Mage (Growlith) both on Grim Batol EU. My Mage is newly levelled but it's already got some good gear etc including Vicious Glad Silk Trousers. I actually won them first time in BH haha.

I'm working on Lore Master just for the hell of it really and last night I completed the last few quests to earn me Loremaster of Cataclysm. Does anyone have any advice on a particular order to complete the remaining quests or any add ons to help out?

IsayFever

DeathNote said:
I'm on the other side of things. I leveled up 3 characters to 85 on a server waiting for 4 friends to do heroics with then they all bailed a month ago. We would have recruited people for a 10 man raid. The only other people I know on another server have a tight 10 man and a raiding schedule I can't do. Dungeon finder doesn't interest me. Aside from bad players who can't down a boss, I don't like ninjas and people who roll on gear they already have. So I'm not gearing up to APP into a random raiding guild.

Right now me and 1 friend decided to level alliance alts to experience the new content there.

This goes along with an earlier post. I feel fucked without enough wow friends on X server and non-compatible schedules on another.

I guess I should probably transfer and 85 over to at least do heroics with that tight 10 man. Maybe once they start not needing gear I could go in for a few raid bosses. But... I really need to transfer all 3 of my characters. 1, I'm over the 50k cap. 2, they all work together to make gold and support each other with crafting.

Shits expensive tho. I transfered 3 to the server people bailed on 2 months ago.

Teach me your secrets sir, I want to be interested in wow again, I really really do. I just can't bring myself to login more than needed for raids :( It's just so boring these days

C.Dark.DN

Banned
IsayFever said:
Teach me your secrets sir, I want to be interested in wow again, I really really do. I just can't bring myself to login more than needed for raids :( It's just so boring these days
Well... I can't say i'm enjoying my self a great deal.

I leveled my wotlk 80 DK with JC/Mining to 85 as soon as cat hit. Then I level a goblin warrior with eng/blacksmithing from 1 to 85 with a friend.

While waiting for 4 people to catch up and do heroic with I wanted to take advantage of the alch/enchanting maelstrom crystal trick so I transfered a 70 rogue over that had 300 enchanting to level to 75. When I got both professions to 525 the trick was hotfixed. So, I just leveled the rogue to 85 and leveled a goblin shaman from 1-70 cause my friends still didn't all catch up yet.

Then they bailed.

So, the past few weeks all i've been doing is logging on for a few hours to play the AH with my high level mining/JC/blacksmithing/Alch combo and talk to my friend while he leveled a hunter alt.

The other day we decided to make alliance alts. Both are 24.

I'd rather be logging in 2 hours a night for raiding but it's not working out.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm quite the opposite, i really dont want to waste hours wiping on some boss while my casual guild is learning the raids. I just dont find what's fun in this. So I spend most of my days doing my heroic daily, argent tournament dailies for mounts, doing Sethekk Halls/Magister Terrace/Stratholme runs in hope of mount drops and some rep grinding for the Exalted title(only 3 left!) and with some Kalimdor Archaeology with this, hoping to see the "AQ" mount. Oh yeah, and if i have some time left, maybe BGs or Tol Barads for Honor points so i can buy some mounts too.

Yeah, surely you guessed that im trying to get the 100 mounts achievements. 85/100 now with nearly 10 left with the Tournament and Honor mounts alone. I'll get it... eventually.

My mage is only missing an epic helm, shoulders and weapons, so raids are far from a priority for me, especially with 4.1 not being so far away and will probably have some of the epics i'm missing. Sure i would love to see the whole raid instances and boss fights, but spending a whole evening wiping on 1 boss? No thanks.

I'm only casually playing now since I get about an hour a day. Once my first child is born I will be quitting (probably for good).

I just have fun learning to be a healer in randoms now, might work on some achievements, get my Ambassador title etc.

SatelliteOfLove said:
That One Guy dies at the end of a pull. Especially if he's kiting. Kiting means "I don't need healing" by default <--- BM Hunter, Frost Mage, Hpriest veteran

Melee DPS tends to take more damage so I usually have to watch them more closely. Random groups tend to range DPS heavy in my battlegroup and there's always 1 guy that gets hit way more than the others. This is the guy standing in the fire and not moving etc.

As a healer you really learn to appreciate a good group and you have the best vantage point to see who the bad players are.

I actually enjoy the hours of wiping on hard modes. Ill like it even more when we down heroic nef on Monday and we get server spam. Seeing progress and finally downing a boss is awesome.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Back in the NES days hours of failing was a big part of the experience. These days you can do an easy mode console game in a few hours. There are still levels I haven't be on Super Mario Brothers 3.

I enjoying soloing content for mounts and doing other non raid stuff. That's a big part of the game.

But, I think only raiding when it's a cake walk is unfortunate. Working hard for a down is an awesome win.

Manus

The Lamonster said:
Are any guilds at lvl 20 yet? If so, how common are they?

I really want that BOA helm.

My guild just hit 18. I'm so close to getting our dark phoenix mount. Guild rep grind is so slow.

19 here. Entropy has slowed this down considerably (although it is nowhere NEAR Wrath levels, mind you).

Bisnic said:
I'm quite the opposite, i really dont want to waste hours wiping on some boss while my casual guild is learning the raids. I just dont find what's fun in this. So I spend most of my days doing my heroic daily, argent tournament dailies for mounts, doing Sethekk Halls/Magister Terrace/Stratholme runs in hope of mount drops and some rep grinding for the Exalted title(only 3 left!) and with some Kalimdor Archaeology with this, hoping to see the "AQ" mount. Oh yeah, and if i have some time left, maybe BGs or Tol Barads for Honor points so i can buy some mounts too.

Yeah, surely you guessed that im trying to get the 100 mounts achievements. 85/100 now with nearly 10 left with the Tournament and Honor mounts alone. I'll get it... eventually.

My mage is only missing an epic helm, shoulders and weapons, so raids are far from a priority for me, especially with 4.1 not being so far away and will probably have some of the epics i'm missing. Sure i would love to see the whole raid instances and boss fights, but spending a whole evening wiping on 1 boss? No thanks.

No pain, no gain unless you mooch.

Mairu

cuevas said:
I actually enjoy the hours of wiping on hard modes. Ill like it even more when we down heroic nef on Monday and we get server spam. Seeing progress and finally downing a boss is awesome.
I also enjoy the "progression" experience, although it gets tiresome when there's hours of wiping on bosses you've already killed.

Guild should hit lvl 20 tomorrow.

Goddam. I need to find one of these high level guilds. Mine has been stuck at 12 forever.

However, once I get into a different guild, I get to grind rep for months and months. Yay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom