• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurarian

Bisnic said:
Yeah, threat sucks as a bear if you dont have some ICC gear. My bear has like 4.8k GS, but even then i have much more trouble holding aggro than when my warrior was around the same lvl. I just switched to cat yesterday, there is no fun in bear tanking when you can't hold threat by spamming the 1 aoe skill you have (shitty swipe).

At least with my warrior, charge + glyphed Cleave + TC + Shockwave is enough to make sure they will never leave me during the first seconds of a pull.

It's not so much multi mob as it is single target. Multi-mob is roflcopter easy with a bear. Tab ->Swipe+Maul. There have been a few times where one has left but I just taunted him back and that was the end of that. But yeah, I don't remember having these problems either with my warrior when she was similarly geared.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Aurarian said:
It's not so much multi mob as it is single target. Multi-mob is roflcopter easy with a bear. Tab ->Swipe+Maul. There have been a few times where one has left but I just taunted him back and that was the end of that. But yeah, I don't remember having these problems either with my warrior when she was similarly geared.

Yeah, sometimes single target can be tough early with just Mangle & Maul with some Lacerate you have to spam to 5 when you have some time. But Lacerate damage always feel like it is lacking in power. Its just an excuse to use something when Mangle or Faerie Fire is on cooldown.

At least warriors have Shield Slam & Revenge as very strong attacks with Shockwave being very good if you can aim it at the right angle so it hits everything in sight. I always have either Revenge or Shield Slam available for a quick strong attack for that early threat i might need.

As a bear? If Mangle is on cooldown, you better hope your Taunt is ready. I've use Taunt more often on my druid in 1 week because i was losing threat too early than i used Taunt on my warrior in the past months. :lol

Aurarian

Flib said:
As I said, gem some agility in the meantime and consider investing in master shapeshifter.

I actually respecced to my current spec. My last spec had master shapeshifter. I didn't see much of a difference to be honest between King of the Jungle and that. By the way, should I replace Keystone with the 245 agi ring? I don't think the 76 agi will make up the 490 armor or the dodge rating. Definitely not the armor for sure though.

Bisnic said:
Yeah, sometimes single target can be tough early with just Mangle & Maul with some Lacerate you have to spam to 5 when you have some time. But Lacerate damage always feel like it is lacking in power. Its just an excuse to use something when Mangle or Faerie Fire is on cooldown.

At least warriors have Shield Slam & Revenge as very strong attacks with Shockwave being very good if you can aim it at the right angle so it hits everything in sight. I always have either Revenge or Shield Slam available for a quick strong attack for that early threat i might need.

As a bear? If Mangle is on cooldown, you better hope your Taunt is ready. I've use Taunt more often on my druid in 1 week because i was losing threat too early than i used Taunt on my warrior in the past months.

Yeah, from what I understand if you have improved mangle(which I do)it's basically Mangle > FF > X. X either being Swipe, Demo, or Lacerate depending on the situation then Mangle again because of the .5 difference. If you get four globals it pretty much fucks it. I agree about Lacerate. It feels weak, but I do notice a threat difference when it's applied. Initial threat on a warrior is much easier. All you need is to SB > Charge > SS and then apply your TC/Shockwave. Then it's just a matter of tab devastate and keeping cleave up while using TC and Shock as it comes off cooldown.

I've never had trouble single target on bear.

FF + spam Mangle/Maul while Lacerate to 5. Once you get a Maul crit or two it's set. Get Lacerate up ASAP for Rend and Tear. I pull with Growl + FF then Lacerate, Mangle/Maul.

Only have trouble with 6k+ GS hunters, mages, warlock. Every now and then one comes along that I'm constantly spamming taunt on and pingpong the mob back and forth.

My GS is 5190 now but even back when I was 4800-4900'ish I don't recall having problems on bosses.

Aurarian

Well, I don't want to waste the money to enchant certain things I have until I get better. Specifically, my legs, boots, bracers, and belt. That might be a part of some problems, but I don't think that's really it. I'll try out what Kernel posted tonight when I chain heroics for badges.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
belt? all you can do is gem slot. unless that slot came wit the gear. you're missing legs, boots, bracers, 2h. and, i don't know if people recommend Greater Inscription of the Pinnacle +20 dodge, +15 Defense over Greater Inscription of the Gladiator +30 stamina, +15 resillience or not.

notworksafe

The one they can easily buy with the scads of gold they will make! :D Also enchanters should get magic flying shoes or Peter Pan style fairy dust to fly!

DeathNote said:
i don't know if people recommend Greater Inscription of the Pinnacle +20 dodge, +15 Defense over Greater Inscription of the Gladiator +30 stamina, +15 resillience or not.
I recommend the Gladiator enchant over the other one. Stamina is still one of the best tank stats...and that resil is equal to 6 defense (minus the minor dodge/parry/etc that def gives). Plus the extra defense is silly when you get to a higher gear level. I've gotten rid of all my defense enchants, even the shield one!

Dunlop

Aurarian said:
Well, I don't want to waste the money to enchant certain things I have until I get better. Specifically, my legs, boots, bracers, and belt. That might be a part of some problems, but I don't think that's really it. I'll try out what Kernel posted tonight when I chain heroics for badges.

Just do the cheaper gems and enchants (i.e +8 to stats on chest instead of +10) until you get the gear you want, they are usually about 10-20% of the price

Aurarian

DeathNote said:
belt? all you can do is gem slot. unless that slot came wit the gear. you're missing legs, boots, bracers, 2h. and, i don't know if people recommend Greater Inscription of the Pinnacle +20 dodge, +15 Defense over Greater Inscription of the Gladiator +30 stamina, +15 resillience or not.

Nah, the PVP shoulder enchant is way better than 20 dodge and 15 defense. 20 dodge isn't much and 15 defense rating doesn't give much dodge(about 0.06%)I think. I suppose I could go for the cheaper enchants but I don't mind doing the better enchants for 232+ because I probably will have that gear for a long time since I don't see myself doing ICC any time soon.

Bisnic

Rapstah said:
I wonder what mount Skinning and Mining will get!

:(

With skinning, you get a flying carpet made of furs, and with mining you get to fly on an asteroid!

J-Rzez

Aesthet1c said:
Thanks for the tips guys. So does your OT end up tanking the ghouls then as well? What we tried last night was have our paladin MT on LK and ghouls, me (warrior) holding horrors and occasionally taunting ghouls over, but like I said the horrors just didn't seem to die fast enough. I tried getting as many ghouls as I could, but I was limited to my taunt cooldown to bring them over.

I was almost thinking it might work better to swap tanks and I tank just the LK while the paladin tanks the ghouls and horrors, that way the plague stacks high enough to kill the horrors fast enough. But with that many jumps, I have to worry about the buff stacking too high on LK.

Yeah, like I said, our OT picked up all adds. It's important to get all the ghouls he can get because that ramps up plague damage where it'll easily finish off the shamblings that you would have up going into p1.5. It's important to have them down so the tanks can grab the severed spirits (iirc they're called that) that spawn off and 1-2shot your healers/clothies.

Worry about mastering each phase first. Get placement down for P1, placement for P1.5, Movement AND reaction times on defiles for P2, placement again for P2.5, and movement for P3. At least they seemed like the keys for us when we first downed it.

Aesthet1c

J-Rzez said:
Yeah, like I said, our OT picked up all adds. It's important to get all the ghouls he can get because that ramps up plague damage where it'll easily finish off the shamblings that you would have up going into p1.5. It's important to have them down so the tanks can grab the severed spirits (iirc they're called that) that spawn off and 1-2shot your healers/clothies.

Worry about mastering each phase first. Get placement down for P1, placement for P1.5, Movement AND reaction times on defiles for P2, placement again for P2.5, and movement for P3. At least they seemed like the keys for us when we first downed it.

Awesome, thanks. We go back in tomorrow, hopefully with better luck. I'll just be happy if we can consistantly make it to phase 2.

Rapstah

Bisnic said:
With skinning, you get a flying carpet made of furs, and with mining you get to fly on an asteroid!
It would actually be really cool if there was a 0.001% drop chance of a Mining exclusive flying mount from Cata's highest level node. :lol

Dunlop

Aesthet1c said:
Awesome, thanks. We go back in tomorrow, hopefully with better luck. I'll just be happy if we can consistantly make it to phase 2.

completing phase 2 is a total bitch if all you players are not doing their jobs (defile placement will probably be your worst enemy)

The good news is that once you have phase 1 and 2 down pact, the rest is pretty "easy" comparitavely

Bisnic

Rapstah said:
It would actually be really cool if there was a 0.001% drop chance of a Mining exclusive flying mount from Cata's highest level node. :lol

A 0.001% chance to drop from a Cataclysmic Vein! (Same rare node as Titanium Vein!, also totally made up that name)

Man, that would be even more rare than getting a Lost-Proto Drake mount on a high-pop server.

Bisnic said:
A 0.001% chance to drop from a Cataclysmic Vein! (Same rare node as Titanium Vein!, also totally made up that name)

Man, that would be even more rare than getting a Lost-Proto Drake mount on a high-pop server.

And I thought the current race against 3-5 people for that Titanium Vein in Sholozar was bad ......

J-Rzez

Flib said:
According to the Blue posts, testing of the Heroics has begun on the beta.

I have a feeling we're looking at an early Nov release. I'm sure internally they're testing the Raids, and I'm sure they're banking on that people won't get into raids as quickly this time since they said you basically need the gear from Heroics and what not to be able to work through the raid, so they'll have an extra week or two at least before people start trickling into them. That is, unless people will step into them faster/earlier than expected.

notworksafe

Naxx was tested in the Lich King beta, but not the other raids (at least not that I noticed while playing). So they will probably do some minimal public testing on the raids.

Flib

Watched some live streams quickly of people in heroic SFK. Tons and tons of wipes to the first trash packs. Seems like you die if you pull more than three enemies.

Bisnic

Flib said:
Watched some live streams quickly of people in heroic SFK. Tons and tons of wipes to the first trash packs. Seems like you die if you pull more than three enemies.

More than 3? :lol It's soo easy to pull like 6 worgens or ghosts in the regular version.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
J-Rzez said:
I have a feeling we're looking at an early Nov release. I'm sure internally they're testing the Raids, and I'm sure they're banking on that people won't get into raids as quickly this time since they said you basically need the gear from Heroics and what not to be able to work through the raid, so they'll have an extra week or two at least before people start trickling into them. That is, unless people will step into them faster/earlier than expected.
Well yeah, but it takes a minimum of 2-3 weeks to get enough players to the correct level to even do heroics.

Evlar said:
So what's our estimate, 4.0.0 next week?

Based on the actual content, it's possible since it doesn't really add much content-wise, but I would really doubt it that soon; I'd say 2 or 3. I would think they would have to do a numbers pass before they could really push it, people are gonna be pissed if drops like it is right now, i.e. with Retribution's numbers being offensively bad, etc. I think there's still a few tweaks that need to get in before they'd push it live. "It's balanced for 85, guys," isn't really gonna satisfy people when they can't change their level for 2 months.

notworksafe said:
Naxx was tested in the Lich King beta, but not the other raids (at least not that I noticed while playing). So they will probably do some minimal public testing on the raids.

I know that Obsidian Sanctum (I think Eye of Eternity too) were tested in the beta because I specifically recall Xabora posting recounts from it before Wrath even launched. :lol

notworksafe

Angry Grimace said:
I know that Obsidian Sanctum (I think Eye of Eternity too) were tested in the beta because I specifically recall Xabora posting recounts from it before Wrath even launched. :lol
Ah, okay. I just would join whatever PUG was advertising in Trade channel and I never saw any OS/EoE PUGs.

Rokam

That boss they just did seemed extremely easy. Hell even gave them a 50% crit buff. And :lol @ GM rezzing them and not saying anything.

Flib

A few of the bosses seemed easier than the trash. Baron Silverlaine summons the other worgen minibosses from the original SFK. He also wiped those dudes a bunch.

Rokam

I don't think they realize Cursed Bullets is interruptable. Not to mention they didn't even attempt Mind-Numbing to help slow the cast down.

Tacitus_ said:
Please, I got it for two alts back in BC when it took some actual work. 5k is a joke and will be an even bigger joke come cata.

Grats to you I guess? Wow your totally awesome! :lol

Why in the hell would you be happy about spending 10k on moving faster? I had epic riding pre-bc when we had to walk up hill both ways to get silver to buy it.

If I hadn't wasted 5k on some stupid icc boots for my hunter, bought 3 pets at 200-500g, wasted 1k buying up to 50 mounts on said hunter, wasted 1k buying mats to make ilv 245 plate for my dk id be totally awesome like you to :(

Saying all that I can buy it now just not got round to it.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Tacitus_ said:
Please, I got it for two alts back in BC when it took some actual work. 5k is a joke and will be an even bigger joke come cata.
Please...

I have 15k right now. I want 310% on my main. I have 3 alts without epic flying. I want to make another alt come Cata. If i wanted 310% on all of those to do speedy profession leveling in all the worlds I'd need around 45k.

So, remember how I said said buying it is ANNOYING for alts. I'd have to spend at least the first month or two of cata farming gold instead of having money for new mounts, craftable gear, gems.

If that's not annoying, I don't know what is man. Not everyone has 60-200kg right now.

DeathNote said:
Please...

I have 15k right now. I want 310% on my main. I have 3 alts without epic flying. I want to make another alt come Cata. If i wanted 310% on all of those to do speedy profession leveling in all the worlds I'd need around 45k.

So, remember how I said said buying it is ANNOYING for alts. I'd have to spend at least the first month or two of cata farming gold instead of having money for new mounts, craftable gear, gems.

If that's not annoying, I don't know what is man. Not everyone has 60-200kg right now.

Amen. I just got back in the game after bring out for over a year. I'm a broke bitch.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
krypt0nian said:
Amen. I just got back in the game after bring out for over a year. I'm a broke bitch.
If you logged in to do a short quest and sold dragon's eyes daily for the year... you could have had like 72,000g. But, you/we didn't. Wasting a month or two of gold come Cata on alt flying is shitty.

Meier

WTF, why is this patch 4 gb? Should I even bother downloading it? I assume it's Cata stuff which I'll have to download again soon anyway..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom