• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was getting burned out, started playing league of legends with some friends. Its not bad but playing wow is so much more fluid and you cant really compare them I suppose.

What I did do was go completely PvP doing all BGs and Arena while at the same time leveling a hunter just to find and tame rare pets. It feels like a different game where I can be dependent on myself more, explore more, and only need a few of my friends for arenas.

Not saying it's for everyone, but its worth a try if you're burnt up. Farming honor can be fun, and you can easily max out your weekly conquest points in arena in a night.

LoL was something a few guildies messed around in but they didn't have the time to put into it, they liked it though. RIFT on the other hand, most people hated it.

PatzCU

cuevas said:
LoL was something a few guildies messed around in but they didn't have the time to put into it, they liked it though. RIFT on the other hand, most people hated it.

I tried RIFT, it felt like a highly unpolished, uninspired WoW ripoff. TERA on the other hand... might have to give that a go when it comes stateside.

I think the RDF Call to Arms is a good idea and should hopefully lower the queue times. Yes, tanks and healers are going to be getting these bags while DPS will probably never have the opportunity to get them. Currently, tanks and healers are also rewarded with almost instant queue times and already arguably earn gold/points/gear faster than DPS. Clearly the reward of fast queue times isn't enough to sway people to taking on a role of responsibility so I don't see the problem with piling on even more rewards for tanks/healers.

TheYanger

PatzCU said:
I tried RIFT, it felt like a highly unpolished, uninspired WoW ripoff. TERA on the other hand... might have to give that a go when it comes stateside.

I think the RDF Call to Arms is a good idea and should hopefully lower the queue times. Yes, tanks and healers are going to be getting these bags while DPS will probably never have the opportunity to get them. Currently, tanks and healers are also rewarded with almost instant queue times and already arguably earn gold/points/gear faster than DPS. Clearly the reward of fast queue times isn't enough to sway people to taking on a role of responsibility so I don't see the problem with piling on even more rewards for tanks/healers.

The question is if it's reward enough for me to put up with pug filled shitfests all day long. I'll try it a few times, but it could QUICKLY prove not worth it still. Even queueing with a healer or a dps I know is painful a lot of the time, and we're not exactly slouches. The RDF is the black hole where skill goes to die.

It is time for an OT 3.

And before this thread dies, some new ridiculous changes in the PTR patch notes today.

One affecting Jewelcrafting, while not official yet (only on the MMO-Champ changelist) reduces the price of cut green gems from 9g to 75s. That lowers the floor on the price of elementium, so no more shuffle if you were lucky enough to partake in low prices.

Blizzard said:
Honor is now purchasable from the Justice Commodities Vendor at 250 Honor per 375 Justice.
Justice is now purchasable from the Honor Commodities Vendor at 250 Justice per 375 Honor.
Conquest is now purchasable from the Valor vendor at 250 Conquest per 250 Valor.

The above is absolutely absurd though if they go through with it. Being able to trade Conquest Points for Valor points is game-breaking, which is really puzzling since they have insisted that they don't want players to PvP for gear to use in PvE.

This breaks that, completely. The fact that it is immensely easier and quicker to acquire at least the minimum amount of Conquest Points in a week is a low blow.

CarbonatedFalcon said:
The above is absolutely absurd though if they go through with it. Being able to trade Conquest Points for Valor points is game-breaking, which is really puzzling since they have insisted that they don't want players to PvP for gear to use in PvE.

This breaks that, completely. The fact that it is immensely easier and quicker to acquire at least the minimum amount of Conquest Points in a week is a low blow.

You knew it was coming from like a mile away though, eventually =P

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
CarbonatedFalcon said:
It is time for an OT 3.

And before this thread dies, some new ridiculous changes in the PTR patch notes today.

One affecting Jewelcrafting, while not official yet (only on the MMO-Champ changelist) reduces the price of cut green gems from 9g to 75s. That lowers the floor on the price of elementium, so no more shuffle if you were lucky enough to partake in low prices.

You can already get something like 980 valor points with heroics alone in 4.1, with the weekly limit being 1250. It's not like changing Conquests to Valor is really going to be more game breaking than getting 80% of your VP through 5 mans.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Bisnic said:
You can already get something like 980 valor points with heroics alone in 4.1, with the weekly limit being 1250. It's not like changing Conquests to Valor is really going to be more game breaking than getting 80% of your VP through 5 mans.
Other way around.

Bisnic

So my hunter just started Nagrand, and its funny just how many quests you get in there before you can even start anything. WHERE TO BEGIN?!

n7dwv.jpg

Then you look at the current Cata zones, where your quest log only have 3 or 4 at a time... it's one thing i hate about the new "story driven" zones. You always start and end with the same quests and you always have to do them in the same order.

CarbonatedFalcon said:

It's the other way around- trading Valor for Conquest. This is a good thing to lower the barrier to entry of PvP.

Mister Zimbu said:
It's the other way around- trading Valor for Conquest. This is a good thing to lower the barrier to entry of PvP.

Hmmm, I guess I did misread that, but forgive me, since it was paired with the change I was thinking about for the lower tier currency.

I guess it doesn't really mean anything then since you were able to purchase at least some parts of the same level of gear in Wrath with the latest tier of badges.

In regards to Nagrand:

Love it with rested XP. KILL KILL KILL. Ring of Blood is always good too - just ask someone to run you through it quick at 65 and it's an easy half level at least.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Brilliant Blazejewel and Delicate Blazejewel confirm incoming epic gems? There's a blog with a guy saving three guild tabs of pyrite ore assuming he can prospect it all for epic.

Edit: Wait, it says Unique...

DeathNote said:
Brilliant Blazejewel and Delicate Blazejewel confirm incoming epic gems? There's a blog with a guy saving three guild tabs of pyrite ore assuming he can prospect it all for epic.

I think they're making up for not having a Stormjewel equivalent since launch.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
DeathNote said:

That doesn't sound like a very good plan. Last time, I don't think Titanium prospecting ended up as a good bargain.

Angry Grimace said:
That doesn't sound like a very good plan. Last time, I don't think Titanium prospecting ended up as a good bargain.

If you get in early with a variety of cuts you can make a fortune as the more hardcore raiders and PvPers upgrade all their gear at once.

Transmuting will be more profitable, but will be limited with a cooldown.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
It didn't when you bought the ore at the inflated price. He's been working on it for months:

http://altosgoldishadvise.blogspot.com/2011/03/epic-gems-in-cataclysm-incoming-soon.html

http://altosgoldishadvise.blogspot.com/2011/04/epic-gems-from-transmutes-but-not-how.html

He's stock piling
1.Pyrite ore purchased at a max price*
2.Blue gems (many people were vendoring certain ones because of low sells)
3.200 of each volatile 9to not be volatile starved is transmutes require them)
4. 2+ months worth of Tokens
4.Maybe some herbs (second article)

If epic gems don't come:
*So if your Volatile Earth is 20g, then figure that times five, so 100g. Your "blue" gems? I figure what a Inferno Ruby (67g) and an Amberjewel (4g) sell for, add em together, and thats my "estimate" for blues proccing. That isn't too techincal is it? Easy is good. Add them (100g + 71g = 171g per stack). There is my "break even". Make sense? Ok. Good.

Now this will work for NOW. Not later, not after fluctuating market prices, but you are safe to purchase at this price. Obviously, this is once again a break even price. So to profit (which is what we do), you need a lower price on them.

If they do:
Ok...now.....the question is how much will the sexy epic gems go for? The first two days, I am expecting nothing less than 2-3K uncut. Cut? Depends. I will probably hit 3-4K. In the next week, they will settle around the 1K mark, and 2K for the "hard to find" cuts (ones that you don't have, because you didn't have enough Jewelcrafting Tokens saved up from when I told you not to spend em around a month ago).

So with those estimates, I am thinking I will get 1-2K per 2 stacks of Pyrite I have. So one tab will net around 100-200K, pending sales of course. This is why we stockpile, right? And you can bet your ass I will take a day off and just chill next to my AH prospecting, cutting, relisting, collecting gold, well, you get it. Oven and over. *This is IF you can prospect them, mind you....

What? You don't have a Jewelcrafter? Gosh. Alright. A stockpile here and there will still be a good idea due to the resale value. With a gem coming out of every two stacks (estimate again, don't hate), Pyrite Ore stacks will jump up to around 500g per stack.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
Such a thing as DPS holding the raid back on heroic chimaeron?

Did number 6 die?

4. Girl = Mage in full epics.
5. Billymayz= Death Knight in full epics.
6. Nahily= Warlock in full epics I think?
7.Kelver= Prot Paladin tank

Swag

cuevas said:
Wow...yeah time to recruit.
The 3 healers have the fight down to a science, from cooldowns / grouping, but we're pushing 4 Feud phases and don't have the Cooldowns / mana for the 4th. Is it customary to only have 3 for 10 man? Raid Comp is:

Holy Paladin - 3rd Feud uses LoH on Tank
Holy Priest - Guardian Spirit on 1st and 4th Feud
Resto Druid
Protection Paladin - LoH on Second Feud
Protection Warrior - Tanks Double Attacks, and usually tanks the 4th feud due to Prot Paladin Death
Fire Mage
Unholy DK - Tanks the normal phases
Balance Druid
Affliction Warlock
Hunter ( Can't remember spec )

DeathNote said:
Did number 6 die?

4. Girl = Mage in full epics.
5. Billymayz= Death Knight in full epics.
6. Nahily= Warlock in full epics I think?
7.Kelver= Prot Paladin tank

Number 6 I believe is a warlock Pet, my recount separates pets and their owners. Nearly the entire group is 358 - 360. I just don't understand how to maintain 4 feud phases and then still have mana to heal the entirety of the raid to full for the pre Mortality massacre.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
The 3 healers have the fight down to a science, from cooldowns / grouping, but we're pushing 4 Feud phases and don't have the Cooldowns / mana for the 4th. Is it customary to only have 3 for 10 man? Raid Comp is:

Holy Paladin - 3rd Feud uses LoH on Tank
Holy Priest - Guardian Spirit on 1st and 4th Feud
Resto Druid
Protection Paladin - LoH on Second Feud
Protection Warrior - Tanks Double Attacks, and usually tanks the 4th feud due to Prot Paladin Death
Fire Mage
Unholy DK - Tanks the normal phases
Balance Druid
Affliction Warlock
Hunter ( Can't remember spec )

Number 6 I believe is a warlock Pet, my recount separates pets and their owners. Nearly the entire group is 358 - 360. I just don't understand how to maintain 4 feud phases and then still have mana to heal the entirety of the raid to full for the pre Mortality massacre.
So Billymayz' dps should be higher making the lowest DPS 13k.4?

Sebulon3k said:

It doesn't matter if you can heal them up, the dps is too low to kill it. I looked over the average 10man DPS and your highest is the lower than the lowest in a lot of the kills.

Swag

DeathNote said:
So Billymayz' dps should be higher making the lowest DPS 13k.4?
Yeah I'm assuming the only reason his dps is that low is cause he's in Blood presence, but I haven't played DKs enough to know how that affects their damage output.

I'm compared the healing output to other logs and I'm pulling 13.4k HPS, Druid is pulling 14k HPS, Holy Paladin pulling 11k HPS. No one is dying prior to the 3rd Feud, Protection Paladin tends to die on 3rd but I attribute that to the Holy Paladin's mana being drained, or he just can't perform. I can't see any room for healing to improve, we're probably capped performance wise around our gear.

DPS are all 360 (+-1) I just can't fathom how to kill this at the rate we're going.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
tried to install the new PTR update messed up my folder. told me to repair and i did. nothing. now it's saying to re-install.

and i read someone else having the issue on the battle net forums.

Alex

I can't ever seem to crack past around 17k on Heroic Chimeraon, I think the hit debuff fucks extra hard with a Frost DK. I kind of seethe a bit when it causes me to whiff killing machine'd oblits :lol Delayed (or entirely missing, Im not entirely positive of all my mechanics yet) rune pops from whiffed Frost Strikes are also horrible, bah!

I doing Tol Barad lately, for my new DK so I can have the tank trinket. The battle itself is a lot more fun than I remember at launch, our small group had a ton of fun in there tonight.

cuevas said:
It doesn't matter if you can heal them up, the dps is too low to kill it. I looked over the average 10man DPS and your highest is the lower than the lowest in a lot of the kills.

I'm not sure that DPS is too low. The only phase where DPS matters is P3 and usually it's tanks having a bad string of no avoidance that gets people gibbed rather than the DOT killing them. Often we find ourselves sitting and not DPSing for a full minute so we can push during a feud. Usually it's the 4th feud but that's somewhat down to RNG.

We're using a 2 1/2 tank strategy so obviously it will be different with 2 tank strats. Not a Patchwerk fight by any means so DPS is hard to compare.

Sebulon3k said:
The 3 healers have the fight down to a science, from cooldowns / grouping, but we're pushing 4 Feud phases and don't have the Cooldowns / mana for the 4th. Is it customary to only have 3 for 10 man?

As mentioned above we get four a lot, but it's down to RNG. Your raid comp is about as solid as you can get for this fight in 10 man, cooldown rotation is fine. Your strat is the same as our current one. I guess this is obvious but the tank shouldn't be dying on the 3rd feud, or if he does there should be a brez available and he should be ready to go for the fourth.

The real test of your DPS is the burn phase. RNG will probably take you into four feuds even with higher DPS, so you need to be able to handle it. (I think we did 90k-some raid DPS on a 3-feud kill, it might be necessary to reach that level to do it in 3 feuds, and you have to have the massacres cooperate.) I don't think our holy paladin has any mana problems, maybe start there. If it's the tanks keep in mind that the double attack tank shouldn't have any break and can tank a feud if he has better damage cooldowns up than the normal feud tank. (This might only be if you get bad massacre timing.)

Xtyle

I have lost all interest in WoW and specially raiding.
I would play it so much more if the end game is just 5 mans instead of 10 or 25.

TheExodu5

Banned
wonderdung said:
I'm not sure that DPS is too low. The only phase where DPS matters is P3 and usually it's tanks having a bad string of no avoidance that gets people gibbed rather than the DOT killing them. Often we find ourselves sitting and not DPSing for a full minute so we can push during a feud. Usually it's the 4th feud but that's somewhat down to RNG.

If DPS is around 15k they probably won't make the enrage timer.

CarbonatedFalcon said:
I guess it doesn't really mean anything then since you were able to purchase at least some parts of the same level of gear in Wrath with the latest tier of badges.

Right. The goal here is to make it easier for people who mostly PvE to gear up for dabbling in PvP and give them another outlet for all the useless JPs they're earning.

Bisnic

Turns out the extra bag you will get by tanking(and maybe healing?) heroics pugs in 4.1 will be BOA.

So i can just grind mounts for my main with my tanking alt. Sweet. Hopefully flying mounts from 5 mans are also in those bags and not just the 3 ground mounts Blizzard mentioned in their official statement.

Also, the chance to get them in the bags will be the exact same chance as when they drop from the actual boss.

But knowing the usual retard WoW players, they will assume that because there is more 5 man dungeon mounts being seen in battlegrounds or cities, that Blizzard put the % very high... nevermind the fact that there is millions of people doing heroics compared to the few people who actually bother to run outdated dungeons.

Bisnic said:
Turns out the extra bag you will get by tanking(and maybe healing?) heroics pugs in 4.1 will be BOA.

So i can just grind mounts for my main with my tanking alt. Sweet. Hopefully flying mounts from 5 mans are also in those bags and not just the 3 ground mounts Blizzard mentioned in their official statement.

Also, the chance to get them in the bags will be the exact same chance as when they drop from the actuall boss.

See, I like this, but I'm still conflicted. This is why I only focus doing any grinding of (in?)significant value on my main - having whatever on one character is usually enough. Grinding reps or dailies or whatever gets boring quick when doing so on more than one character. This also makes me more attached to my DK and less likely to main anything else, even though I enjoy other classes as well.

Basically, I want more stuff to be account-wide sooner.

For people who don't have a class that can tank, it's a boon since tanks are likely to be the role rewarded by this most often, so you can pass whatever goodies in the bag on to another character.

TheExodu5 said:
If DPS is around 15k they probably won't make the enrage timer.

Yeah that might be true, and DPS improving certainly isn't going to hurt them. But if they can't live through 4 feuds they have more problems than just DPS.

Swag

wonderdung said:
Yeah that might be true, and DPS improving certainly isn't going to hurt them. But if they can't live through 4 feuds they have more problems than just DPS.
How many feuds do you aim for when you do it? Also 10/25 man?

Sebulon3k said:
How many feuds do you aim for when you do it? Also 10/25 man?

10 man, we don't aim for a specific number but I think out of our 9 kills we pushed the phase during the fourth feud about 6 or 7 times.

If you look at our logs you'll see that we often have to stop DPS and wait til the fourth feud to push it.

Our DPS is a little better than the screenshot that was posted but under the average raid dps for 10H posted earlier.

TheExodu5

Banned
The number of feuds you get is slightly random. The first comes after 2-3 massacres, but after that, they can come after 1-3 massacres.

Infinity

Bisnic said:
So my hunter just started Nagrand, and its funny just how many quests you get in there before you can even start anything. WHERE TO BEGIN?!

You gotta love roaming the countryside collecting crap. I laugh every time I do this quest.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
scoobs said:
Sit back, DoT everything on the screen, take no damage, win.
Every class is OP 1-60 at least, especially with heirlooms.

One or two shotting with an heirloom staff is more efficient that any spell from 1-3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom