• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclem

DeathNote said:
Now... for my request. I haven't played most classes past level 20. There's also been a lot of changes. Rather than me having to spend a lot of time teaching/researching multiple calsses myself... could you guys that figured out your class tell me:

1. Spec and rotation (single and multi) for each PVE class role possible. I want to play around with tanking, healing, and DPS.
2. PVP spec.

Need this for every class. Glyphs aren't available on the PTR, so no need to mess with that.

I assume you're talking a 4.0 spec, not a current one, right? While I don't know it myself - and there's still quite a bit of debate about how to go about it - the paladin tank rotations are being developed over on Maintankadin:

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/index.php?f=41&t=29138&rb_v=viewtopic&start=0

Note that that's a massive thread; we're not at a point of having a clear 'best' option right now, but I think it's approximately:

Pull with Avenger's Shield.
Start with Crusader Strike (single target) / Hammer of Righteousness (multi) and one of the finishers to get holy shield up (Shield of Righteousness for single target, Inquisition for multiple target, Word of Glory for self-heal/surviving)
Do Crusader strike / Hammer on every cooldown to do a finisher every 13-or-so seconds.
Weave Judgement, Avenger's Shield (if procced) and Holy Wrath in on cooldown.

itxaka

Defeatist
So something strange happened on Diren rigth now.

My whirlwind hit 6 times, checking the combat log it seems that it did for 2500, 4300, 4700, 2300, 2100 and 2700. So I did a 18.000 damage hit for no apparent reason. Then the next whirlwind hit 3 times for 10.000 damage.

I knew that it hits harder the more mobs that they are, but I never got more than 2 hits while on multiple mobs.

Did something screwed up? Checking the combat logs and recount I can see that I did around 4300 dps while I'm normally on 2700 tops.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
speedpop said:
We wiped on Coren Direbrew :lol

DK as tank in Unholy, shit was all over the place. Eventually had rez sickness, got a new tank and cleared it in less than 20 seconds.

Haven't laughed so hard in all my life.

It's possible to wipe on Coren? o_O

I just saw on MMOchampion that Blizzard got rid of the city portals in Shattrath & Dalaran... kinda sucks for everyone except mages. Dalaran is surely going to be a ghost town like Shattrath is currently without portals. :lol

mclem

Bisnic said:
I just saw on MMOchampion that Blizzard got rid of the city portals in Shattrath & Dalaran... kinda sucks for everyone except mages. Dalaran is surely going to be a ghost town like Shattrath is currently without portals. :lol

I'm suddenly a lot less upset about losing the roll for Jaina's Locket.

Is the CoT portal still up in each? What about the Quel'Danas portal in Shatt?

Bisnic said:

Well that's pretty dumb. It'll be quite annoying getting back to Azeroth while leveling from 58-78. Maybe it's just for the beta?

Bisnic

funkmastergeneral said:
Well that's pretty dumb. It'll be quite annoying getting back to Azeroth while leveling from 58-78. Maybe it's just for the beta?

I forgot to mention they replaced the portals by class trainers, so it's not too bad i guess, unless you want to use the AH.

Bisnic said:
I forgot to mention they replaced the portals by class trainers, so it's not too bad i guess, unless you want to use the AH.

Yea it's not the end of the world, I assume Blizzard wants people traveling in new Azeroth to and from city to city rather than having a hearth set in Dalaran, and just using it as a hub to port around.

The AH issue is easily remedied by just having a level 1 AH slave in a major town that you can do all your business on.

Bisnic

I'm not going to complain, anyway it sure is going to be nice walking around Dalaran at 60 fps just like Shattrath currently, when this city was as much of a lagging hell as Dalaran today. :lol

Interfectum

funkmastergeneral said:
Yea it's not the end of the world, I assume Blizzard wants people traveling in new Azeroth to and from city to city rather than having a hearth set in Dalaran, and just using it as a hub to port around.

Yeah it looks as if Blizzard wants to repopulate Azeroth and this is a smart way to do it. Personally I can't wait to see Stormwind and Ironforge packed with people again like the good old days. :D

ampere

funkmastergeneral said:
No, it'd be permanent. They don't want everyone having hearths set do Dalaran/Shattrath anymore. I welcome the change though it will make me want to recruit more mages into the guild :lol

speedpop said:

DK as tank in Unholy, shit was all over the place. Eventually had rez sickness, got a new tank and cleared it in less than 20 seconds.

Holy shit :lol
He's soloable, how is that even possible :lol

Tacitus_

Bisnic said:
I'm not going to complain, anyway it sure is going to be nice walking around Dalaran at 60 fps just like Shattrath currently, when this city was as much of a lagging hell as Dalaran today. :lol

Maybe my memory is coloring things but I never remember Shattrath being the absolute lag hellhole that Dalaran is. The city was a lot larger so I think it handled a lot better, even with flying mounts everywhere.

I always perched on top of the Scryer Bank

FLEABttn

Banned
Tacitus_ said:
Maybe my memory is coloring things but I never remember Shattrath being the absolute lag hellhole that Dalaran is. The city was a lot larger so I think it handled a lot better, even with flying mounts everywhere.

I always perched on top of the Scryer Bank

The dead center part of Shattrath was pretty laggy.

Bisnic said:

Why would they do that? Is there a new city that does have portals?

Hixx

The Lamonster said:

Org and Stormwind will have portals to the new zones.

Inter-city travel will have to be the old fashioned way. Love it.

Interfectum

The Lamonster said:

The only reason they added portals was there was no easy way to get from Shat back to, say, Stormwind. But now that the focus is back on Azeroth there is no huge need for city-to-city portals anymore.

Bisnic

Anyone know if Blizzard FINALLY added a flightpath to connect Exodar to the rest of Kalimdor in the beta?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
speedpop said:

I tanked it as Fury once because I forgot to switch specs and failed to hold aggro to any real extent and nobody came close to dying.

Angry Grimace said:
I tanked it as Fury once because I forgot to switch specs and failed to hold aggro to any real extent and nobody came close to dying.

See stuff like this makes me wish that 5mans would scale to the gear level of the group so they say at least somewhat challenging throughout the lifetime of an expansion.

Dunlop

McNei1y said:
I just found out a friend of mine is playing on a different server as an ally when Im horde... I really hate the price of transferring.

yeah $55 was brutal, at least let you change all your toons to the new server for that price.

Now I am getting in the same boat, our guild is having issues fielding 25 man for anything and when we do get it there are too many people that have no clue what to do.

Also bunch of old timers are returning and I can almost garaunty that it will eventually turn into a 10 man raiding guild in Cat with everyone else on the sidelines and there are 2 priests that are already part of the "old guard"

Now I'm stuck with either riding it out and hoping I'm wrong or try to find a new guild yet again on a different server (there is fuck all happening on my server)

Magnus

I've been out of the loop on expansion news for a month having given up the game largely because of a return back to school. I'm keen on returning for some fun in Cataclysm though, especially if the rumor is true that it'll hit in early December (perfect timing with the winter break).

So one question:

Is 10-man raiding in Cat still in the same place as it was a few weeks ago? That is, the same rewards, achievements, gear will be available from 10m as 25m (save possibly Legendaries and some titles/APs)? The death of 25m raiding will be the best thing to happen to my experience with the game in a long time, and most of my guildmates will probably agree. We muscled it out for five years in 40 and then 25 mans, but for most of 2010, we were just plain tired of looking for bodies. Bring on the 10s.

And regarding priest specific stuff (my chosen and best-loved class/main):

I read up on the recent-ish changes to Chakra and the Holy Word system. I think I dig it. Any other recent fundamental changes?

mclem

Hmmm. I really ought to move my L36 hunter out of Shattrath before this goes live.

Edit: Actually, or maybe not. I see much in the way of funtimes trying to desperately claw my way back to civilisation.

mclem said:
Hmmm. I really ought to move my L36 hunter out of Shattrath before this goes live.

Edit: Actually, or maybe not. I see much in the way of funtimes trying to desperately claw my way back to civilisation.
:lol

I know what you mean. I like a good adventure too.

mclem

Oh my word, I've just had an idea for a guild event. Everyone creates a gnome and a mage helps port them all to Shattrath prior to the portal change. Then, on a Saturday afternoon after the portals have been removed, mass to gnome race to civilisation!

Can low-levels use the dark portal to head *out* of Outland?

Edit: Actually, I'm thinking that even more fun than that would be going from that tower/town in Netherstorm

Evlar

Banned
mclem said:
Oh my word, I've just had an idea for a guild event. Everyone creates a gnome and a mage helps port them all to Shattrath prior to the portal change. Then, on a Saturday afternoon after the portals have been removed, MASS GNOME RACE!

I don't know, but I hope not, just for the lulz.

"TRAPPED... with no way out! Can the gnomish army fight off the demon legions?"

Bisnic

mclem said:
Oh my word, I've just had an idea for a guild event. Everyone creates a gnome and a mage helps port them all to Shattrath prior to the portal change. Then, on a Saturday afternoon after the portals have been removed, MASS GNOME RACE!

I think you should do it from Dalaran to either Borean Tundra or Howling Fjord. Much longer journey and prettier environnements. :lol

Oh and, enjoy jumping from Dalaran's sewers to your death, seems to be your only way out without a flying mount.

Evlar

Banned
Bisnic said:
I think you should do it from Dalaran to either Borean Tundra or Howling Fjord. Much longer journey and prettier environnements. :lol

Oh and, enjoy jumping from Dalaran's sewers to your death, seems to be your only way out without a flying mount.
You could have a priest friend levitate you before yoy leap. (I assume we're ignoring mage abilities).

mclem

Bisnic said:
Nothing stopping us doing this twice!

The slight problem with the Dalaran run is that after you're out of Northrend you're in quite low-level environments or even dumped right into Stormwind, which makes the ending a bit of a damp squib. Also, I've not heard if the CoT portal was going away, which would make things rather simpler and less spectacular for unscrupulous folks. I don't *think* low-levels can use the equivalent port (not really a portal) in Shattrath. Actually, I could check that on my hunter.

Mental note: HIRE A CAMERAMAN. Having some thoughts that a cascade of gnomes 'flowing' out of the sewer tunnel would be spectacular.

mclem

Evlar said:
You could have a priest friend levitate you before yoy leap. (I assume we're ignoring mage abilities).

At L1? I was hoping no-one would have anything interesting like that at that point.

Evlar

Banned
mclem said:
At L1? I was hoping no-one would have anything interesting like that at that point.
Oh, don't worry then. If you're determined to get there on your own power the trip out of the Dalaran sewers at level 1 will be a swift fall with a sudden end. (Priests don't get Levitate at level 1).

ampere

mclem said:
Oh my word, I've just had an idea for a guild event. Everyone creates a gnome and a mage helps port them all to Shattrath prior to the portal change. Then, on a Saturday afternoon after the portals have been removed, mass to gnome race to civilisation!

Edit: Actually, I'm thinking that even more fun than that would be going from that tower/town in Netherstorm
:lol :lol :lol
The thought of 300 level 20 gnome mages slowfalling off Dalaran is hilarious :lol

Rapstah

speedpop said:

I'm getting ridicolous amounts of DPS Paladins and Druids queuing as tank/healer/dps and then just trying to beat the event without the role they queued as. Got ridicolous with the druid that refused to admit he had queued as healer... despite that the group was Death Knight/Rogue/Mage/Warlock/Druid.

Evlar

Banned
Rapstah said:
I'm getting ridicolous amounts of DPS Paladins and Druids queuing as tank/healer/dps and then just trying to beat the event without the role they queued as. Got ridicolous with the druid that refused to admit he had queued as healer... despite that the group was Death Knight/Rogue/Mage/Warlock/Druid.
:lol Why refuse to admit it when it shows up on everyone's group frames?

Bisnic

I got a prot paladin queueing as a healer once... my rogue almost died when Coren did his aoe. /shame Not like he even tried to heal once with his awesome 6k mana and shitty spellpower.

Bisnic said:
I got a prot paladin queueing as a healer once... my rogue almost died when Coren did his aoe. /shame Not like he even tried to heal once with his awesome 6k mana and shitty spellpower.

Never seen anythign like this for Coren or otherwise :lol

I've seen DKs queueing up as tanks with no tank gear (and no clue how to tank either).

Been playing my rogue alt a bit lately trying to slowly get him to 80, had a tank queue up with heirlooms and all but his mace his skill was 100 :lol He held 0 aggro so I left before the first boss.

mclem

Bisnic said:

Why would a prot paladin *need* to queue as healer?

Bisnic

With Coren, queueing as a healer is as fast a tank. Sometimes even faster. My guess is that guy queued as both tank & healer and since tank queue is usually faster than healer, he thought he was a tank.

I think this guy just clicked "Enter" so fast he didnt see the big obvious Healer icon.

mclem

Evlar said:
I've heard tanks are experiencing almost unbearable wait times on Coren: two, sometimes even three minutes.

I had one whole minute, myself, although it ended before the heart palpitations got too bad.

If you queue as tank/healer and DPS once in a blue moon you do get to DPS.

I've grouped with a few people on random where they're shocked they have to switch to their DPS spec/gear.

I wish you could triple-spec as I'd love to play Resto on my druid but I can't drop my other 2 specs.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
KernelPanic said:
If you queue as tank/healer and DPS once in a blue moon you do get to DPS.

I've grouped with a few people on random where they're shocked they have to switch to their DPS spec/gear.

I wish you could triple-spec as I'd love to play Resto on my druid but I can't drop my other 2 specs.
At that point, everyone would want to roll on everything :lol

Angry Grimace said:
At that point, everyone would want to roll on everything :lol

Well only paladins and druids can tank, heal and DPS so it would only affect them really. A lot of people roll on everything anyway :lol

It sucks for me since balance is my raid spec (only spec geared enough for ICC heroics). Can't really drop that.

Having a feral tank off spec is really useful. Insta queue and being able to farm. I'm still doing my Argent Dailies to hit exalted with all horde cities and being to solo Chillmaw is great among other things.

It'd be nice that's all.

Angry Grimace

KernelPanic said:
See stuff like this makes me wish that 5mans would scale to the gear level of the group so they say at least somewhat challenging throughout the lifetime of an expansion.
For the record, I did have my tank gear on, I just switched into D's stance and had nothing mapped to it because my spec was still Fury :lol

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
HixxSAFC said:
Org and Stormwind will have portals to the new zones.

Inter-city travel will have to be the old fashioned way. Love it.
Superior Mage Race. I just don't portal from city to city, I portal from one end of the city to the other. I'm that lazy and that rich!

J-Rzez

Confused101 said:
Warlock T11 set male

Warlock T11 set female

So for gear named "Shadowflame", I'm not sure what I think about this set.

Yeah, we discussed a page or two back how utterly offensive it was to look at it, and it how if the Lock and Rogue gear both look terrible, they doesn't bode well for anyone else because they always have respectable stuff. That Druid set was the same old boring Druid gear as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom