• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Angry Grimace said:
For the record, I did have my tank gear on, I just switched into D's stance and had nothing mapped to it because my spec was still Fury :lol

That's awesome :lol

Not long ago I queued up for a random right after respec'ing from cat back into bear.

Realized during the 1st pull I didn't have any of my bear abilities mapped, was nuts trying to taunt everything while frantically trying to drag all the feral abilities to my bar:lol

To make matters worse I still cat glyphs so no improved maul etc. Was a pain to hold aggro :lol

Somehow I made it, wasn't even gemmed for stamina had all ArP gems :lol

Aesthet1c

Does anybody have any tips to share about controlling defile puddles in phase 2 of Lich King? More specifically, what to do when a defile puddle spawns as you are trying to dps the Val'Kyr. Like we try to rotate and clump up close to the center for Val'Kyr spawns, and then spread out for defile puddles, but sometimes they hit very close to each other. And very often they spawn on people trying to dps the Val'Kyr, which then hits all our melee and spreads so fast its usually a wipe.

Anyone got any tricks for dealing with this? BTW thanks for your continual support on helping my guild progress through ICC :D

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
shintoki said:
Superior Mage Race. I just don't portal from city to city, I portal from one end of the city to the other. I'm that lazy and that rich!
The best mages are all gnomes.

OK resto druids, in heroic 5 mans, what's your rotation?

I just started healing them in mostly gemmed/chanted blues and I want to get this shit right.

God, it was easier being a Cat. :lol

krypt0nian said:

I just started healing them in mostly gemmed/chanted blues and I want to get this shit right.

God, it was easier being a Cat. :lol

Yea man, it's quite a shock going from a useless dps to an important part of the group.

krypt0nian said:

I can sympathize, I was lost when I went resto :lol

What I did was:

- Keep lifebloom on the tank (don't think I needed 3 stacks unless he was undergeared or it was a raid or a tough instance like H HoR)
- Keep rejuv on the tank and anyone else who needs to be topped off
- Spam nourish if anyone needs lots of healing
- Wild Growth for group heals
- Swiftmend if they need a heal immediately
- macro NS + HT for another emergency instant heal

Glyphs: swiftmend, Nourish, Wild Growth

I've been on an achievement spree lately on my Hunter. Trying to get everything I can before Cataclysm comes out. Working on Loremaster right now and I'm starting to regret it. :lol

itxaka

Defeatist
itxaka said:
So something strange happened on Diren rigth now.

My whirlwind hit 6 times, checking the combat log it seems that it did for 2500, 4300, 4700, 2300, 2100 and 2700. So I did a 18.000 damage hit for no apparent reason. Then the next whirlwind hit 3 times for 10.000 damage.

I knew that it hits harder the more mobs that they are, but I never got more than 2 hits while on multiple mobs.

Did something screwed up? Checking the combat logs and recount I can see that I did around 4300 dps while I'm normally on 2700 tops.

Anyone have any idea of this? (Posting for the new page) I'm still puzzled, and looking at some pages I can't find the explanation for it.

funkmastergeneral said:
Yea man, it's quite a shock going from a useless dps to an important part of the group.

There's so much responsibility. Hell I had a rotation at Cat-DPS but if I screwed up a bit the combat took a bit longer. If I screw up nao, the world goes to shit.

@KernelPanic, ah cheers. That gives me some more guidelines. I was pretty much forgetting Swiftmend as an emergency button.

HarryDemeanor said:
I've been on an achievement spree lately on my Hunter. Trying to get everything I can before Cataclysm comes out. Working on Loremaster right now and I'm starting to regret it. :lol

I did that back in April and it was pretty awful. All the lore was really cool to experience, like meeting the demon hunter in Azshara, but there is soooo much running around the world that takes tons of time to travel in.

The achievement will still be in the game come Cataclysm and they'll certainly be making it easier with the redesign of zones.

Flib

KernelPanic said:
I can sympathize, I was lost when I went resto :lol

What I did was:

- Keep lifebloom on the tank (don't think I needed 3 stacks unless he was undergeared or it was a raid or a tough instance like H HoR)
- Keep rejuv on the tank and anyone else who needs to be topped off
- Spam nourish if anyone needs lots of healing
- Wild Growth for group heals
- Swiftmend if they need a heal immediately
- macro NS + HT for another emergency instant heal

Glyphs: swiftmend, Nourish, Wild Growth

No reason to glyph Wild Growth unless you're in a raid, it hits 5 people already. For 5 mans, I like rapid rejuv in that slot, but it sucks for raids.

No real need to use lifebloom at all. I personally keep a regrowth + rejuv on the tank, and swiftmend/nourish as necessary. If you anticipate a ton of raid damage, get some hots up really quick and nourish as necessary.

Or you can just rejuv/wild growth if you don't have mana issues. Druid healing is kind of weird at this point, you can sort of play it with whatever spell combos you want. This isn't as true of raid healing, but it is for heroics at least.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
itxaka said:
Anyone have any idea of this? (Posting for the new page) I'm still puzzled, and looking at some pages I can't find the explanation for it.
I don't understand the question; Coren has several adds and WW hits 4 targets twice each in an 8 yard radius.

itxaka

Defeatist
Angry Grimace said:
I don't understand the question; Coren has several adds and WW hits 4 targets twice each in an 8 yard radius.

Yeah but shouldn't it do 50% of the normal hit when it hits more than 1 target? First 2 hit to the main target 2500(4k if it crits) and the rest of the hits at half the damage so 1300 per hit (taking 2600 as the normal damage it does)

notworksafe

Bisnic said:
I got a prot paladin queueing as a healer once... my rogue almost died when Coren did his aoe. /shame Not like he even tried to heal once with his awesome 6k mana and shitty spellpower.
Hey now! Us Prot Pallies actually have a ton of Spellpower, because it's based off of AP for Prot/Ret Paladins. But yeah...we can't get off too many heals. With any luck the heals we do get off will crit for 15-20k each though. In fact I usually use my Lay On Hands on Valithria Dreamwalker during that fight and almost always get a 100k+ crit. <3 Prot Pally heals. :D

Coren is stupid easy though, usually our guild group will go sans healer because he goes down too fast.

I know in the outlands there is still a portal back to Orgimmar. Its near the dark portal. So, if you need to get back real quick you can take that. Also, the portals in all the major cities send you back to Outlands pretty fast.

notworksafe

Dr. Pangloss said:
I know in the outlands there is still a portal back to Orgimmar. Its near the dark portal. So, if you need to get back real quick you can take that. Also, the portals in all the major cities send you back to Outlands pretty fast.
Yeah, these portals and the ones to the new Cata zones will still let people travel quickly. The one weird thing will be going back and forth from Northrend. Maybe there will be a portal to the Northrend starting zones in Org/UC/IF/SW?

Now that trainers have been added to Shat/Dal there isn't much reason to go back to the old world anyway. Basically just for the Auction House, and not even that if you're an engineer in Dal. It'd almost be easier to just toss stuff in your bank and only go back once you hit 68 and 78 because leveling will be so fast.

EDIT: Or just mail AH items to a mule.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
notworksafe said:
Yeah, these portals and the ones to the new Cata zones will still let people travel quickly. The one weird thing will be going back and forth from Northrend. Maybe there will be a portal to the Northrend starting zones in Org/UC/IF/SW?

Now that trainers have been added to Shat/Dal there isn't much reason to go back to the old world anyway. Basically just for the Auction House, and not even that if you're an engineer in Dal. It'd almost be easier to just toss stuff in your bank and only go back once you hit 68 and 78 because leveling will be so fast.

EDIT: Or just mail AH items to a mule.
Why wouldn't they keep the Zep and Boat for 70's?

ampere

Bisnic said:
With Coren, queueing as a healer is as fast a tank. Sometimes even faster. My guess is that guy queued as both tank & healer and since tank queue is usually faster than healer, he thought he was a tank.

I think this guy just clicked "Enter" so fast he didnt see the big obvious Healer icon.
I've done this, but considering I'm a 50k HP bear and can solo Coren... don't need heals anyway. Last time I hit enter without knowing I was healing and there were two bears :lol
No one took more than 4 or 5k damage, fun times.

And on my shaman I stay ele but queue as healer. You honestly just need a plate-wearer and 4 dps and he's dead long before heroism expires

OK cheers for the Resto Druid tips. The last 3 dungeons went amazingly well.

Anyone know how Alchemy changes in Cata? What are the endgame flasks now? Etc?

Evlar

Banned
krypt0nian said:
OK cheers for the Resto Druid tips. The last 3 dungeons went amazingly well.

Anyone know how Alchemy changes in Cata? What are the endgame flasks now? Etc?
Alchemy exclusive mount! I don't know anything else...

C.Dark.DN

Banned
poop
Cataclysm Release Date Postponed (Not Official)
A few weeks ago I announced that the target release date for Cataclysm was November 2. Well, according to an update I just got, the release has been postponed and Blizzard will try to release the game in early December. (Basically, either December 7 or December 14)

We can look at some gear!

Super-Mega-Uber Cataclysm Items Update
The latest beta build added A LOT of epic items to the game, we have valor points rewards, justice points rewards, Tier 11 armor sets stats, and PvP rewards!

Justice Points Rewards (first tier of dungeon emblems from heroics): Blue ilevel 346.
Valor Points rewards(high tier emblem, only earned from raids): Epic ilevel 359
Tier 11 (bought with tokens and Valor points): Epic ilevel 359
Arena Season 9/Rated Battlegrounds Rewards(pvp points through arena and rated Bg): Epc ilevel 365

Stats at the link:http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/1989-Cataclysm-Release-Dalaran-Portals-Cataclysm-Epic-Stats

Yea, that December release date is pretty disappointing. This time last year I thought there was NO WAY Blizzard would wait until December 2010 to release Cataclysm and have us in 1 raid for a year.

At least there's no way it gets pushed back anymore since Blizzard would want a pre Christmas release.

Evlar

Banned
I guess it took 'em a while to get the shackles and chains fitted to the Cataclysm team's desks. These poor souls aren't going to see sunlight until Christmas.

Aesthet1c

funkmastergeneral said:
Yea, that December release date is pretty disappointing. This time last year I thought there was NO WAY Blizzard would wait until December 2010 to release Cataclysm and have us in 1 raid for a year.

At least there's no way it gets pushed back anymore since Blizzard would want a pre Christmas release.
I wouldn't say never. Cataclysm doesn't need Christmas to sell the infinity million that it is going to sell.

KernelPanic said:
It wouldn't be Blizzard without a delayed release date.

Well, Blizzard never announced a release date. I do appreciate how the company seems to have a policy of releasing games when they're done, and not for some arbitrary release date due to publisher pressure, but as a consumer it can be a frustrating wait. However the end product is always fantastic.

notworksafe

We'll see about "fantastic". After how awful Starcraft 2 on Mac was at launch, I'm not as convinced that Blizzard's games will be amazing day one.

notworksafe said:
We'll see about "fantastic". After how awful Starcraft 2 on Mac was at launch, I'm not as convinced that Blizzard's games will be amazing day one.

Hmm really? I didn't know anything about that. Though I don't know why anyone would want to play games on a Mac.

notworksafe

Games work just fine on a Mac, especially Blizzard games. Mac WoW is actually the superior version as well. :lol That's why I was surprised when SC2 was actually worse than the PC version.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Looks like gearscore in it's current form will be dead for the first few raids in cat. Heroic and Justice Points Rewards will be iLevel 346.

DeathNote said:
Looks like gearscore in it's current form will be dead for the first few raids in cat. Heroic and Justice Points Rewards will be iLevel 346.

Um...so? I thought you only got Justice Points from heroics anyway (until the next tier of raiding is released), so people who have raiding gear will still have the higher gearscore.

I could see gearscore not being as important since the first major raiding instance shouldn't be super difficult.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
Um...so? I thought you only got Justice Points from heroics anyway (until the next tier of raiding is released), so people who have raiding gear will still have the higher gearscore.

I could see gearscore not being as important since the first major raiding instance shouldn't be super difficult.
Um... I'm glad I wont hear people asking for a GS at the start? It would suck if you had to farm low tier emblem gear to meat their GS requirement?

Well, it's impossible to gauge exactly how it'll turn out since we don't know how hard the entry raids will be, but I bet PUGs will want at least full heroic ilevel 346 gear.

Oh, and protip: Get yourself a guild to run raids with, then you don't have to worry about gearscore anymore.

J-Rzez

Best part of a December target release is the fact that it can easily slip into Jan//Feb. :lol

It's obvious these guys need new management, they took on too many projects at once, or they're too lax. The week before Christmas would be a TERRIBLE date to release. I began to think "hey, Nov, can be done". Then realizing that not only is the game seemingly in rough shape on PTR and in Beta, they also would like to have at least a month to get advertising going.

And please, the "we'll release it when it's ready" thing, they haven't done that to date yet with TBC or Wrath, so why are they going to keep their word this time?

Only Blizzard can get away with this. The game has been beat for nearly 6 months now to many, and this isn't easing the wait by, well, increasing the wait itself lol. And they've been working on this since Wrath launch, or just prior to it's launch?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
Well, it's impossible to gauge exactly how it'll turn out since we don't know how hard the entry raids will be, but I bet PUGs will want at least full heroic ilevel 346 gear.

Oh, and protip: Get yourself a guild to run raids with, then you don't have to worry about gearscore anymore.
I read that you can start raiding on heroic gear. Right now, with GS working, they want a gear score higher than what is possible with emblem gear. Pugs would surely want you to be in point gear if it was a higher iLevel. As is, you pretty much have to choose between stats on the Heroic gear, point gear, and reforging all at the same iLevel. The GS 2.0 would have to smart calculation and measure ideal stats.

Um... you do realize guilds aren't easy to find for a lot of people right? Between competing applications, too many raiders, bad leadership, differing gear distribution, stuck on the first boss and staying stuck for too long, breaking up. Most of you are graced with tight guilds and multiple friends in them. All my friends quit WoW.

notworksafe

J-Rzez said:
Best part of a December target release is the fact that it can easily slip into Jan//Feb. :lol

It's obvious these guys need new management, they took on too many projects at once, or they're too lax. The week before Christmas would be a TERRIBLE date to release. I began to think "hey, Nov, can be done". Then realizing that not only is the game seemingly in rough shape on PTR and in Beta, they also would like to have at least a month to get advertising going.

And please, the "we'll release it when it's ready" thing, they haven't done that to date yet with TBC or Wrath, so why are they going to keep their word this time?

Only Blizzard can get away with this. The game has been beat for nearly 6 months now to many, and this isn't easing the wait by, well, increasing the wait itself lol. And they've been working on this since Wrath launch, or just prior to it's launch?
I wonder how accurate this info is. Boub has been pretty hit or miss as far as date info goes.

J-Rzez

DeathNote said:
Most of you are graced with tight guilds and multiple friends in them. All my friends quit WoW.

That is true, you have to be really lucky to have a good crew to play with, as it really maximizes what they game is. If you don't, you have to really lower your expectations out of it: Join some fail-raid-pugs, PVP, play World of Goldcraft on the AH game. Or grind out simpler things like pets, mounts, tabbards, etc.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
J-Rzez said:
That is true, you have to be really lucky to have a good crew to play with, as it really maximizes what they game is. If you don't, you have to really lower your expectations out of it: Join some fail-raid-pugs, PVP, play World of Goldcraft on the AH game. Or grind out simpler things like pets, mounts, tabbards, etc.
The Guild Level system slipped my mind. It reinforces friend/tight guilds even more with all the perks.

J-Rzez

notworksafe said:
I wonder how accurate this info is. Boub has been pretty hit or miss as far as date info goes.

Well we have to look at this logically:

- They're seemingly behind on testing on Beta and it's not looking too good.
- PTR isn't running too hot.
- Zero, zilch advertising put into effect yet.
- Not even a mumble of a release date outside of some: "People will complain about goblin rogues at blizzcon" and some letter stating it'll release in 2010 from the head honcho.

DeathNote said:
The Guild Level system slipped my mind. It reinforces friend/tight guilds even more with all the perks.

And correct me if I'm wrong, I believe they raised the cap of guildmates whose activity can level a guild up? Before it was 20, but now it's higher?

I'm looking forward to the guild perks because they look really nice to have, a huge benefit overall, but to those bouncing around between guilds it's just a slap to their face really unfortunately.

DeathNote said:
I read that you can start raiding on heroic gear. Right now, with GS working, they want a gear score higher than what is possible with emblem gear. Pugs would surely want you to be in point gear if it was a higher iLevel. As is, you pretty much have to choose between stats on the Heroic gear, point gear, and reforging all at the same iLevel. The GS 2.0 would have to smart calculation and measure ideal stats.

Um... you do realize guilds aren't easy to find for a lot of people right? Between competing applications, too many raiders, bad leadership, differing gear distribution, stuck on the first boss and staying stuck for too long, breaking up. Most of you are graced with tight guilds and multiple friends in them. All my friends quit WoW.

I wouldn't put it passed PUGs to be demanding over geared people for raids shortly into Cataclysm. Anytime I ever (rarely) formed a PUG for a raid I tried to get over geared people, just because it tends to lead to a much smoother run.

Oh and don't worry I know all about how hard it is to find a guild, when I rerolled in WotLK on a completely new server with no friends on it, it was tough to find a group I mesh with. However after bouncing around a little bit I found a guild who's raid times were perfect for me and had little to no drama.

I'm curious though, what's your main? If you're a DPS Death Knight or Paladin, I guess I could see where you'd have trouble finding a guild due to the incredible overpopulation of them.

Angry Grimace

DeathNote said:
Since when and on what? He's almost always right, from my recollection.

Not to mention, I don't even think they'd done any public tests of the raid content at all in beta.

notworksafe

J-Rzez said:
Well we have to look at this logically:

- They're seemingly behind on testing on Beta and it's not looking too good.
- PTR isn't running too hot.
- Zero, zilch advertising put into effect yet.
- Not even a mumble of a release date outside of some: "People will complain about goblin rogues at blizzcon" and some letter stating it'll release in 2010 from the head honcho.
Lich King beta progress was very very slow until the last month, when it was kicked into overdrive. Plus, I don't even remember any advertising for Lich King until after it was out. When was that Ozzy Osbourne commercial? I don't recall seeing it until a week or two after LK launched. As far as number balance? Judging by LK launch, Blizz doesn't care too much. DK and Paladin were stupidly overpowered at LK launch and weren't fixed until the few patches.

I'm still thinking it'll be out in the last two weeks of November.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
I wouldn't put it passed PUGs to be demanding over geared people for raids shortly into Cataclysm. Anytime I ever (rarely) formed a PUG for a raid I tried to get over geared people, just because it tends to lead to a much smoother run.

Oh and don't worry I know all about how hard it is to find a guild, when I rerolled in WotLK on a completely new server with no friends on it, it was tough to find a group I mesh with. However after bouncing around a little bit I found a guild who's raid times were perfect for me and had little to no drama.

I'm curious though, what's your main? If you're a DPS Death Knight or Paladin, I guess I could see where you'd have trouble finding a guild due to the incredible overpopulation of them.
Yeah, I was a DPS DK and couldn't get better a tanking because of PC lag. Gonna buy a new one for Cat. Changing mains too.

Guild Progression is going to make finding a guild suck though.

J-Rzez

Aesthet1c said:
Does anybody have any tips to share about controlling defile puddles in phase 2 of Lich King? More specifically, what to do when a defile puddle spawns as you are trying to dps the Val'Kyr. Like we try to rotate and clump up close to the center for Val'Kyr spawns, and then spread out for defile puddles, but sometimes they hit very close to each other. And very often they spawn on people trying to dps the Val'Kyr, which then hits all our melee and spreads so fast its usually a wipe.

Anyone got any tricks for dealing with this? BTW thanks for your continual support on helping my guild progress through ICC :D

Watch the timers to see if a defile or valk is coming, or if they're going to line up by chance even. DPS has to respond quickly to it getting out of there fast if they get marked to defile. Tank should move LK to from slightly left side to the slightly right side (or other way) after defile drops to ensure DPS doesn't have to worry about defiles left. Make sure to have a rotation ready and set in stone for stuns on the valks. Make sure the healers are never too far outside as sometimes them getting grabbed can make or break the fight. That's about it really, that and a little luck that defiles hit your best reacting players.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Looks like these are the only ones that matter for individual PVE progression:

-Increases Justice points gained by 5%.
-Increases the chance to gain a skill increase on tradeskills by 10%.
-Reputation gained from killing monsters and completing quests increased by 5%.
-Profession plans.

I guess not having these benefits for a while isn't that bad.

Angry Grimace

Kintaco said:
So are Heroics only giving Blue items come Cata?
It seems like the JP rewards are all blues. Although; it's not a big deal, it's just a color.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom