• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So bored... calculated how much JP I'll need from heroics until I'm completely done.

Gloves: 1650
Helm: 2200
Legs: 2200
Necklace: 1250
Chest: 2200
Shoulder: 1650
Waist: 1650

Total: 12800 minus 4000 JP (that I'll be receiving immediately when Triumph/Frost are exchanging) = 8800 JP total

You get 75 JP from killing a heroic boss, so approximately 300 JP each heroic (give or take 75).

8800 JP / 300 = ~29 heroic runs. Not bad at all.

Meier

CAW said:
Did the Coren Direbrew fight for the first time last night and got this:

4l3eht.jpg

:D
Wait, you can get that from the random instance? I've done it like 20 times and not seen a mount drop.. that'd be sick! :O Is it over already?

CAW

Meier said:
Wait, you can get that from the random instance? I've done it like 20 times and not seen a mount drop.. that'd be sick! :O Is it over already?
I got it from the Keg-Shaped Treasure Chest that you get after the fight.

Brewfest (and the instance) ends on Wednesday (the 6th). I wish I would have run it more myself.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Yoshichan said:
So bored... calculated how much JP I'll need from heroics until I'm completely done.

Gloves: 1650
Helm: 2200
Legs: 2200
Necklace: 1250
Chest: 2200
Shoulder: 1650
Waist: 1650

Total: 12800 minus 4000 JP (that I'll be receiving immediately when Triumph/Frost are exchanging) = 8800 JP total

You get 75 JP from killing a heroic boss, so approximately 300 JP each heroic (give or take 75).

8800 JP / 300 = ~29 heroic runs. Not bad at all.
Since heroic gear is 346 rare also, and you can reforge stats, there's a chance that at least 1 piece of heroic gear fits your stat priority better.

Edit: Take this dagger for example...

Jp: Off-Hand, Speed 1.40, 401 - 745 Damage, (409.3 damage per second), +129 Agility, +194 Stamina, Equip: Improves critical strike rating by 86, Equip: Improves hit rating by 86.

Heroic: One-Hand, Speed 1.40, 401 - 745 Damage, (409.4 damage per second), +129 Agility, +194 Stamina, Equip: Improves critical strike rating by 86, Equip: Improves haste by 86.

A lot of gear is like that. Very similar stats.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Since this is going to be the 1st Hallow's End with the Dungeon Finder, i bet you're going to see more of that badass horse mount than before. It's crazy the number of brewfest kodos i see in Dalaran.

xXCHAOSXx

World of Warcraft Cataclysm released on December 7th
Cataclysm release on December 7, digital download available on the Blizzard Store.
Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
World of Warcraft(R): Cataclysm(TM) in Stores Starting December 7

IRVINE, Calif., Oct 04, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) — Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. today announced that World of Warcraft(R): Cataclysm(TM), the highly anticipated third expansion for the world's most popular subscription-based massively multiplayer online role-playing game*, will be released starting on December 7, 2010. The expansion will be available on DVD-ROM for Windows(R) XP/Windows Vista(R)/Windows(R) 7 and Macintosh(R) at a suggested retail price of $39.99 and will also be offered as a digital download from the Blizzard Store. A special Collector's Edition packed with bonus items will be available exclusively in retail stores for a suggested retail price of $79.99.

"Cataclysm includes the best content we've ever created for World of Warcraft. It's not just an expansion, but a re-creation of much of the original Azeroth, complete with epic new high-level adventures for current players and a redesigned leveling experience for those just starting out," said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. "With the help of our beta testers, we're putting on the final polish, and we look forward to welcoming gamers around the world to enjoy it in just a couple of months."

The first two World of Warcraft expansions, The Burning Crusade(R) and Wrath of the Lich King(R), each shattered PC game sales records upon their release.* In Cataclysm, the face of Azeroth will be forever altered by the return of the corrupted Dragon Aspect Deathwing. Players will explore once-familiar areas of the world that have now been reshaped by the devastation and filled with new adventures. In an effort to survive the planet-shattering cataclysm, two new playable races — worgen and goblins — will join the struggle between the Alliance and the Horde. As players journey to the new level cap of 85, they'll discover newly revealed locations, acquire new levels of power, and come face to face with Deathwing in a battle to determine the fate of the world.

The beta test for World of Warcraft: Cataclysm is currently underway. Visit the official Battle.net(R) website at http://www.battle.net to set up a Battle.net account and sign up for a chance to participate. To learn more about World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, visit http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/cataclysm.

Geez, I still have plenty of time to dick around Azeroth until Deathwing ruins the place. And by saying "ruins the place", I mean make completely awesome.

So I was running some heroics over the weekend and one healer decided to rip on one of our DPS for having "crap gear". So I piped up and said, "Well why do you think he's here?" This idiot said something like, "lol, gear from heroics is crap." I responded with, "So you want him to stand around Dalaran waiting for emblems to fall from the sky? Or maybe he can go straight to ICC where all the "good" gear is." He didn't respond. Maybe I had a good point or maybe it was because I was doing 42% of my group's damage. Regardless, he left after a couple more pulls. I can't stand people that just expect everyone to be at least in complete T9 and purples and know everything there is to know. I was treated very fairly when I was learning the 5mans and only doing 1.5k dps so I'm going to pass that on and defend those that get attacked by these elitist jerks.

And a quick question about heirlooms. I wanted a plate class as my next character and I've decided on Paladin. I think it's pretty obvious which heirlooms to get, but what do you guys think? Arcanite Reaper with the plate chest and shoulders? I'm probably just going to go straight DPS for leveling. Thanks.

Edit: I'm not an alt-aholic so I'm not worried about using heirlooms for multiple characters.

Evlar

Banned
Confused101 said:
Geez, I still have plenty of time to dick around Azeroth until Deathwing ruins the place. And by saying "ruins the place", I mean make completely awesome.

So I was running some heroics over the weekend and one healer decided to rip on one of our DPS for having "crap gear". So I piped up and said, "Well why do you think he's here?" This idiot said something like, "lol, gear from heroics is crap." I responded with, "So you want him to stand around Dalaran waiting for emblems to fall from the sky? Or maybe he can go straight to ICC where all the "good" gear is." He didn't respond. Maybe I had a good point or maybe it was because I was doing 42% of my group's damage. Regardless, he left after a couple more pulls. I can't stand people that just expect everyone to be at least in complete T9 and purples and know everything there is to know. I was treated very fairly when I was learning the 5mans and only doing 1.5k dps so I'm going to pass that on and defend those that get attacked by these elitist jerks.

And a quick question about heirlooms. I wanted a plate class as my next character and I've decided on Paladin. I think it's pretty obvious which heirlooms to get, but what do you guys think? Arcanite Reaper with the plate chest and shoulders? I'm probably just going to go straight DPS for leveling. Thanks.

Edit: I'm not an alt-aholic so I'm not worried about using heirlooms for multiple characters.
Never leveled a Pally alt personally, but from what I've learned second-hand the Arconite Reaper is a good choice. Chest and shoulders should obviously be plate.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Confused101 said:

Even tho Ret gear doesn't need Int in PVP or PVE at high levels, my 17 alt on live is starving for it. But, with the 4.0.1 changes coming to live soon, my mana doesn't ever go below 90% unless I need to heal. But, you can instant heal by using 1-3 holy power charges. It's really fun killing bitches, then healing people. Or healing people while fighting. Not sure what ret will be like at 85.

Mobs die quickly with Arcanite Reaper in PVE and it hits hard in PVP.

Bisnic

It's "fun" to kill low lvl mobs with 1 autoattack with a Arcane Reaper, yeah. But it gets a little boring sometimes. :lol

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Bisnic said:
It's "fun" to kill low lvl mobs with 1 autoattack with a Arcane Reaper, yeah. But it gets a little boring sometimes. :lol
For the first 5 or so levels on a caster, auto attacking with the spell staff is the way to go. lol

Tamanon

Banned
DeathNote said:
For the first 5 or so levels on a caster, auto attacking with the spell staff is the way to go. lol

Hell, the staff does better damage than the wand for the first 20 levels.:lol

ampere

xXCHAOSXx said:
World of Warcraft Cataclysm released on December 7th
Cataclysm release on December 7, digital download available on the Blizzard Store.
Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
World of Warcraft(R): Cataclysm(TM) in Stores Starting December 7

IRVINE, Calif., Oct 04, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) — Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. today announced that World of Warcraft(R): Cataclysm(TM), the highly anticipated third expansion for the world's most popular subscription-based massively multiplayer online role-playing game*, will be released starting on December 7, 2010. The expansion will be available on DVD-ROM for Windows(R) XP/Windows Vista(R)/Windows(R) 7 and Macintosh(R) at a suggested retail price of $39.99 and will also be offered as a digital download from the Blizzard Store. A special Collector's Edition packed with bonus items will be available exclusively in retail stores for a suggested retail price of $79.99.

"Cataclysm includes the best content we've ever created for World of Warcraft. It's not just an expansion, but a re-creation of much of the original Azeroth, complete with epic new high-level adventures for current players and a redesigned leveling experience for those just starting out," said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. "With the help of our beta testers, we're putting on the final polish, and we look forward to welcoming gamers around the world to enjoy it in just a couple of months."

The first two World of Warcraft expansions, The Burning Crusade(R) and Wrath of the Lich King(R), each shattered PC game sales records upon their release.* In Cataclysm, the face of Azeroth will be forever altered by the return of the corrupted Dragon Aspect Deathwing. Players will explore once-familiar areas of the world that have now been reshaped by the devastation and filled with new adventures. In an effort to survive the planet-shattering cataclysm, two new playable races — worgen and goblins — will join the struggle between the Alliance and the Horde. As players journey to the new level cap of 85, they'll discover newly revealed locations, acquire new levels of power, and come face to face with Deathwing in a battle to determine the fate of the world.

The beta test for World of Warcraft: Cataclysm is currently underway. Visit the official Battle.net(R) website at http://www.battle.net to set up a Battle.net account and sign up for a chance to participate. To learn more about World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, visit http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/cataclysm.
Saw that on MMO, so glad to hear it's official! :D :D
I'm going to try to take off work that week and zerg to 85 :lol
Realm firsts are out of the question since I'm not in the beta (to become accustomed to the quests and fastest paths) but I'll probably make a Worgen Hunter/Gnome Priest once my Shaman is 85

Gahh I feel like a giddy little child :lol

Bisnic said:
Since this is going to be the 1st Hallow's End with the Dungeon Finder, i bet you're going to see more of that badass horse mount than before. It's crazy the number of brewfest kodos i see in Dalaran.
There's no way to tell if they used hops or if it's actually a kodo unless you see them mount up, it's possible the drop rates are up a bit though

notworksafe

Confused101 said:

It used to be that Ret was only good from 10-35 and 62-80 (and Prot was better for the majority of leveling) but I suppose with the changes Ret is the new leveling king.

I think Prot is still going to be best for Warrior leveling though.

EDIT: Also December 7th? Lame. So we've gotten one dungeon of meaningful content in a year. Thanks, Blizz!

Bisnic

ciaossu said:
Saw that on MMO, so glad to hear it's official! :D :D
I'm going to try to take off work that week and zerg to 85 :lol
Realm firsts are out of the question since I'm not in the beta (to become accustomed to the quests and fastest paths) but I'll probably make a Worgen Hunter/Gnome Priest once my Shaman is 85

Gahh I feel like a giddy little child :lol

There's no way to tell if they used hops or if it's actually a kodo unless you see them mount up, it's possible the drop rates are up a bit though

They didn't up the drop rate, you can just easily do Coren, even dps only have to wait 2-4 mins. When back then, it was taking much longer, not to mention a lot of people wanted that 1 guy with the remote.

On 6 different alts of mine, 5 of them got either the kodo or the ram, or both of them. Simply by taking 2-5 mins everyday to queue & kill Coren.

Dunlop

notworksafe said:
but I suppose with the changes Ret is the new leveling king.

I recently levelled a ret pally (OS prot for quick dungeon queues) and I quite literally could not see how any class could be faster an grinding levels.

I would just pull as many mobs as I could (up to +5) and aoe them down, there was little difference between the amount of mobs and the strat.

I was fully decked in heirlooms though

vilmer_

CAW said:
Did the Coren Direbrew fight for the first time last night and got this:

4l3eht.jpg

:D

Lucky bastage!! lol, I've been trying on 3 different toons since it basically began, I've only got the ram on my paladin. I really want this kodo!

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Dunlop said:
I recently levelled a ret pally (OS prot for quick dungeon queues) and I quite literally could not see how any class could be faster an grinding levels.

I would just pull as many mobs as I could (up to +5) and aoe them down, there was little difference between the amount of mobs and the strat.

I tested a warlock from 1-14 in heirlooms. In the later levels I grinded out the levels. I just ran, dotted everything In reach, and let the Imp finish them off. Never stopped running.

Hunter is similar. Focus shots while running forward, letting the pet finish.

Meier

I tried leveling up an alt warlock because they always seem to top the DPS charts in ICC but I just find it so boring even with a quest walkthrough add-on. I dunno.. can't decide if it's just because I never played a caster or if I just cant bring myself to level up another character. Maybe I'll keep him shelved til Cata and relive the 30s and up as if they were new.

I've done the brewfest dungeon on my warrior and mage for about 10 days. Got the ram on the warrior and the kodo on my mage (both Alliance). Also got enough emblems on the (lvl 79) mage that I can waste on another heirloom for my planned worgen.

vilmer_ said:
Lucky bastage!! lol, I've been trying on 3 different toons since it basically began, I've only got the ram on my paladin. I really want this kodo!

I got my kodo the first day Brewfest started and finally got my ram yesterday. I was so fucking happy.

notworksafe

Meier said:
I tried leveling up an alt warlock because they always seem to top the DPS charts in ICC but I just find it so boring even with a quest walkthrough add-on. I dunno.. can't decide if it's just because I never played a caster or if I just cant bring myself to level up another character. Maybe I'll keep him shelved til Cata and relive the 30s and up as if they were new.
If you are only 30 I'd just reroll when 4.0.3 drops and start fresh since it's all being redone anyway.

HildyB

Dunlop said:

I did the same, no heirlooms. Once you get consecrate and ret aura, you can start taking on multiple mobs. Not as fast as my hunter, but it was very quick leveling.

notworksafe

Dunlop said:

Interesting. For me, I found Prot to be the best for leveling 35-62. You get BoS for infinite mana, a shield, and Reckoning. I'd gather up a whole quest worth of mobs and down them AoE style. It was glorious. Of course once you get Crusader Strike, it's all over for Prot.

Evlar

Banned
notworksafe said:
Interesting. For me, I found Prot to be the best for leveling 35-62. You get BoS for infinite mana, a shield, and Reckoning. I'd gather up a whole quest worth of mobs and down them AoE style. It was glorious. Of course once you get Crusader Strike, it's all over for Prot.
That's the way it works for Warriors. Train half a zone > Revenge/T-clap/Cleave spam > Profit.

IMO, warlocks are pretty easy especially once you get used to managing your pet. That's why I made one as my very first character. Very easy leveling. This is probably why it seems boring. However, if you're taking on 1 mob at a time with a warlock, you need to step it up. Test yourself by taking on 3 mobs and as the last is dying, pull some more. Try to never leave combat. See how far you can push it before you have to back off or before you get overwhelmed and die. :D Good times.

Or perhaps sitting back from the action isn't your thing. For me, I'm a big fan of killing from afar. Both my 80s are ranged DPS, haha. That's why I decided to switch it up and go with a paladin for Cata.

notworksafe

MMO-Champion said:
Patch 4.0.1 Tomorrow?
You're all going to ask anyway. The answer is very likely no, they pushed a PTR build over the week-end and I don't see them testing a Release Candidate so quickly. Most likely next week.
http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/1998-Stormwind-Update-Cataclysm-Darkmoon-Cards-Blue-Posts-Comics

I expected this. The PvPers would have thrown a fit if 4.0.1 came out tomorrow.

Also the new Darkmoon Cards look cool, though I'd prefer armor to dodge on the tank one. I guess Blizz is really pushing Dodge as the new "fun" tank stat.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
notworksafe said:
Yeah can't wait to level my Prot War in Cata. All those plus getting Shield Slam at 10? Yes, please!
Even tho I'd surely do instances, having to get a shield every few levels is annoying.

J-Rzez

Pretty epic fail on their part, though it was expected since we probably should have heard something by now if it were to release in Nov. If I got free flight and show tickets to Blizzcon, I'd try my damnest to get to ask their panels some questions. Instead it's be "blizz, u r great, plz make ne resto druids moar powerfil in PVP" and "I was wondering about GC's penis, is it considered to be a green, blue, purple, or orange item, lol, u guyz are amazing".

Anyways, now I guess the question is when the new patch is going live. Since this pre-event is seemingly a bit more in depth than prior, it's going to run a bit longer. I don't expect the patch tomorrow, I expect it next week I believe.

vilmer_ said:
I've been doing it on 3 different 80's since brewfest began and I've only gotten the kodo on one toon...twice. RNG annoys me. They could improve it with some kind of modifier based on how many times you've downed a certain boss. That will never will happen.

Aurarian

notworksafe said:
http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/1998-Stormwind-Update-Cataclysm-Darkmoon-Cards-Blue-Posts-Comics

I expected this. The PvPers would have thrown a fit if 4.0.1 came out tomorrow.

Also the new Darkmoon Cards look cool, though I'd prefer armor to dodge on the tank one. I guess Blizz is really pushing Dodge as the new "fun" tank stat.

I think all tanks would have preferred armor or stam instead of dodge. The problem is I wouldn't see myself if ever using it unless I outgear the place significantly. Not to mention that use trinkets usually suck although 11.5k hp is pretty hefty. EH is still king however and especially when you're first trying to clear new content. I suppose with the new mechanics with healing and bosses not KO'ing a tank in two hits, that we're actually gonna have a bit more emphasis on avoidance(not much more though)than on live.

notworksafe

J-Rzez said:
Pretty epic fail on their part, though it was expected since we probably should have heard something by now if it were to release in Nov. If I got free flight and show tickets to Blizzcon, I'd try my damnest to get to ask their panels some questions. Instead it's be "blizz, u r great, plz make ne resto druids moar powerfil in PVP" and "I was wondering about GC's penis, is it considered to be a green, blue, purple, or orange item, lol, u guyz are amazing".
I knew you'd support me, man! I'm a bit salty over ICC having been out a day shy of a year when Cata drops but perhaps with the pre-Cata event and the new Vanilla world there will be stuff to do. I hope the guild achievements drop with 4.0.1.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
vilmer_ said:
Be a player and make it rain. Just like how I got all the Halloween goods.

*Each of you will get 250g if it drops, and I get it*

Interfectum

Considering Blizzard has pretty much redone a gigantic chunk of WoW (which they are giving to people who don't even buy Cata) as well as created new end game content I don't see how anything they've done can be considered "epic fail." This was a huge undertaking and it looks like they are going to pull it off.

notworksafe

shintoki said:
Be a player and make it rain. Just like how I got all the Halloween goods.

*Each of you will get 250g if it drops, and I get it*
Can't do that anymore. The keg is a non-tradable drop that only drops once per day and it's the only way to get the mount.

Flib

Interfectum said:
Considering Blizzard has pretty much redone a gigantic chunk of WoW (which they are giving to people who don't even buy Cata) as well as created new end game content I don't see how anything they've done can be considered "epic fail." This was a huge undertaking and it looks like they are going to pull it off.

I would have sided with them before spending some time in the beta, but now I'm actually surprised that they've pulled all of this off in this short of a time-frame. When you're actually running around, the changes are staggering and of such high quality.

Bisnic

Interfectum said:

It's J-Rzez. You shouldn't be surprised.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Flib said:
I would have sided with them before spending some time in the beta, but now I'm actually surprised that they've pulled all of this off in this short of a time-frame. When you're actually running around, the changes are staggering and of such high quality.
They probably slowly worked on old world and mount hyzal this whole time. On a ptr Druid you can see the MH zone.

They didn't let us fly in TBC because the mountain and city models are messed up from air perspective.

Flib

DeathNote said:
They probably slowly worked on old world and mount hyzal this whole time. On a ptr Druid you can see the MH zone.

They didn't let us fly in TBC because the mountain and city models are messed up from air perspective.

I've flown around on my druid and PTR, and while you can see Hyjal, the terrain is way different from the air as opposed to beta.

They said they started work on cataclysm shortly before the launch of WotLK.

Oh god. My guild's vent is a gold mine right now. Nothing but 3 people bitching about Cataclysm changes along with my guild leader. She hates the hunter changes and thinks the removal of ammo makes the game unrealistic. I'm just sitting here laughing while they ponder on how many people will quit the game causing Blizzard to restore the talent trees to how they are now.

Now she says she wants to create her own private server and wants to know if Blizzard will give her the character data for her toon to transfer it over to her server.

I hope she's trolling because this is insane.

Bisnic

Yeah because playing any other race than human, and any class with casting spells, is totally realistic right? Also fighting demons, undeads, dragons and so on. Whatever hunter race she is playing, it's already unrealistic. Bonus points if its anything but a blood elf, which is the closest to a human.

/sigh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom