• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to the first two BlizzCons in 2005 and 2007. I haven't been able to go back due to how fast people are getting into the queue for them. So I hope next year is a different story (of course I kept telling myself that since 2008.)

C.Dark.DN

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
I don't get the appeal of Blizzcon. I can get all the information announced immediately proceeding it, and I don't have to spend all day walking around unwashed Blizz fans.
people that like an in person social event ?

i want to watch the tournaments and costumes on TV,

notworksafe

funkmastergeneral said:
I don't get the appeal of Blizzcon. I can get all the information announced immediately proceeding it, and I don't have to spend all day walking around unwashed Blizz fans.
You can play games early and hang out with guildies!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
DeathNote said:
people that like an in person social event ?

i want to watch the tournaments and costumes on TV,
It's kind of a racket. There are tons of other better conventions if you actually were dtf with conventions that are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
It's kind of a racket. There are tons of other better conventions if you actually were dtf with conventions that are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper.
So.. because there are arguably better ones you shouldn't/can't enjoy Blizz's?.. It's still a social event people like to attend. The only one that focuses around Blizzard.

There's now a hard cap for guild members at 600. This just about kills my chances of sticking with the game past a couple months after Cataclysm comes out. The only reason I kept playing this past year, despite only having 1 new raid that whole time, was because of my megaguild and the fact that I could level alts in there and always have someone on to do something with me. Always. Up at 3am for no reason and want to organize a Molten Core run? Doable. Want to run an ICC10 on a Thursday night for no other reason than to just fuck around? Doable. Need some guildies to help salvage your destructed 5-man PUG? Doable. I could always find people that were willing to do things with me because there were always 30-100 people on at any time in the day. In a 600 member guild (not to mention less because people will want alts in the guild), you'll be lucky to have 20 people on at a time past the launch window, let alone any more than 1 or 2 out of those 20 that aren't already busy or are willing to do crazy stuff.

I'd love to see a cap on the number of accounts in a guild at 600. Not individual characters.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
keeblerdrow said:
There's now a hard cap for guild members at 600. This just about kills my chances of sticking with the game past a couple months after Cataclysm comes out. The only reason I kept playing this past year, despite only having 1 new raid that whole time, was because of my megaguild and the fact that I could level alts in there and always have someone on to do something with me. Always. Up at 3am for no reason and want to organize a Molten Core run? Doable. Want to run an ICC10 on a Thursday night for no other reason than to just fuck around? Doable. Need some guildies to help salvage your destructed 5-man PUG? Doable. I could always find people that were willing to do things with me because there were always 30-100 people on at any time in the day. In a 600 member guild (not to mention less because people will want alts in the guild), you'll be lucky to have 20 people on at a time past the launch window, let alone any more than 1 or 2 out of those 20 that aren't already busy or are willing to do crazy stuff.

I'd love to see a cap on the number of accounts in a guild at 600. Not individual characters.
They said the 600 cap covers 99.9% of guilds. They told a person with 5,400 people that they could only invite new people when they drop below 600. How many are in your guild? How many haven't logged in for a month+?

A guild only has to get to level 5 to get an extra 5% of money in the bank from people looting. I'm sure tons of competeting leveling guilds will exist.

I'd also get pissed at a mega guild keeping the money for the raiders.

Swag

Is there any news on the pacing of the guild levelling system?

I'm thinking of joining a new 10 man raiding guild / group once Cata hits but I don't wanna do it if it's going to take half a year for us to reach the cap.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
How exactly do you get guild experience?

Also... FINALLY. FINALLY...!

p74UA.png

(I know I'm old, but I never got one until today)!

DarkJC

keeblerdrow said:

Agreed, it should be accounts. At first I thought 600 was a pretty high number, but when you start getting 100-200 members (which isn't all that huge, really) and they all want to bring their alts...well, things add up quick.

DeathNote said:
They said the 600 cap covers 99.9% of guilds. They told a person with 5,400 people that they could only invite new people when they drop below 600. How many are in your guild? How many haven't logged in for a month+?

A guild only has to get to level 5 to get an extra 5% of money in the bank from people looting. I'm sure tons of competeting leveling guilds will exist.

I'd also get pissed at a mega guild keeping the money for the raiders.

4700 members total. In the month of September, a month of extreme lows as far as population goes due to burn out and boredom, we had 898 individual characters active (sign on). Expansion launches we can probably have 100s on simultaneously and then the numbers waver around between lulls and content patches.

Acidote

My "cloned" DK is progressing nicely. It's incredible how much money you can make just by questing and looting every crap mobs drop :lol .

My brother is migrating his priest to that server and since he has +60k gold he has bought every mount he could think of (including mammoths) and tons of JC materials for me to level it. I loved that 20k gold limit when he told me he bought all those materiales for me :lol

keeblerdrow said:
4700 members total. In the month of September, a month of extreme lows as far as population goes due to burn out and boredom, we had 898 individual characters active (sign on). Expansion launches we can probably have 100s on simultaneously and then the numbers waver around between lulls and content patches.
What in the fuck :lol isnt that basically like being in trade chat! sounds more like an alliance server population than a guild!

Tamanon

Banned
keeblerdrow said:

What, are you in AIE? :lol

mclem

DeathNote said:

That strikes me as a misleading stat - I've got a one-member guild on an alt just so I have a guild bank to myself, and I very much doubt I'm the only one. I wonder what percentage of accounts are affected by this, because that'd be a more meaningful measure.

Having said that, I'm not quite clear just what a megaguild offers that a chat channel doesn't; with that size I find it a little hard to believe you'll end up with a particularly secure close-knit community. In our guild of ~=50 accounts, with 30 members on at peak times, we all know one another and work together well as a group.

Horses for courses, I guess.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
mclem said:
That strikes me as a misleading stat - I've got a one-member guild on an alt just so I have a guild bank to myself, and I very much doubt I'm the only one. I wonder what percentage of accounts are affected by this, because that'd be a more meaningful measure.

Having said that, I'm not quite clear just what a megaguild offers that a chat channel doesn't; with that size I find it a little hard to believe you'll end up with a particularly secure close-knit community. In our guild of ~=50 accounts, with 30 members on at peak times, we all know one another and work together well as a group.

Horses for courses, I guess.
The 1 man guilds are included in the 99.9%. They are saying .1% are negatively effected for having over 600 members in general or active members.

Aesthet1c

Sebulon3k said:
Is there any news on the pacing of the guild levelling system?

I'm thinking of joining a new 10 man raiding guild / group once Cata hits but I don't wanna do it if it's going to take half a year for us to reach the cap.

I'm also wondering this. I have a 10 man raiding guild with my friends, which probably only has like 20 active accounts. I'm guessing the amount of experience needed to level your guild scales with the amount of members you currently have. At least I'm hoping so, otherwise 20 people are going to take a long time to get my guild anywhere :(

mclem

DeathNote said:
The 1 man guilds are included in the 99.9%. They are saying .1% are negatively effected for having over 600 members in general or active members.

That was rather my point.

If you look at an extreme example:

10 1000-member guilds.
10000 1-member guilds.

0.1% of guilds are affected.

50% of characters are affected.

If every one of those 1-member guilds is an alt of a member of a 1000-member guild:

100% of accounts are affected.

That's why the number of guilds affected could be misleading.

mclem

Aesthet1c said:
I'm also wondering this. I have a 10 man raiding guild with my friends, which probably only has like 20 active accounts. I'm guessing the amount of experience needed to level your guild scales with the amount of members you currently have. At least I'm hoping so, otherwise 20 people are going to take a long time to get my guild anywhere :(

Surely then there's an incentive to kick everyone from the guild for a bit, level it really quickly, then re-invite everyone? You could game it even more by rotating people into the guild just to hand in quests then leave it.

I *think* they've said that they don't scale it at all; they also scrapped the original 'highest contributors' plan. However, there is still a daily (or is it weekly?) cap on XP earned which should ensure large guilds don't storm ahead.

Willectro

Banned
Aesthet1c said:

I would be shocked if it scales based on the amount of members. This whole guild leveling thing seems like another way to fuck over people who don't want to raid until 4am, 6 nights a week. I don't like raiding, nor do I want to be in a bleeding edge guild, but it always seem like you are missing 75% of the game that way. But I guess that is MMO's in general really.

Alex

I haven't played for awhile was doing heroic progression raids back in Ulduar on an 8ish hour a week schedule, which also included my dailies and my arena matches. You don't need too much time to raid anymore as long as you're not wasting time and you're a decent player. I've respected how well they've tweaked the ability to scale your time investment in an MMO to basically whatever you want.

Also, they've said it doesn't scale with members, there's a daily cap on it as well.

Tacitus_

To my knowledge it doesn't scale any way, but there's a cap on how many points you can earn per week or day, can't remember which.

will52 said:
I would be shocked if it scales based on the amount of members. This whole guild leveling thing seems like another way to fuck over people who don't want to raid until 4am, 6 nights a week. I don't like raiding, nor do I want to be in a bleeding edge guild, but it always seem like you are missing 75% of the game that way. But I guess that is MMO's in general really.

And this is so wrong that it's almost hilarious :lol

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I'd say even if you had a guild with a dozen active members, 40-50 characters in the guild, you'd still be able to achieve the guild level of 8-10. A lot of the achievements seem to be really random things that people will automatically get whether they put effort into it or not - one of them has you needing to kill 50,000 critters, whereas another has you needing 55 reputations to be exalted. Then there are the ones that require level 85 Human Paladin or level 85 Human Priest etc.

The bigger perks that require high guild levels are really structured toward raiding guilds, such as Mass Resurrection (lvl 25) or Have Group, Will Travel (lvl 21). Compare that to the ones that more casual players would really enjoy, like Mount Up (lvl 3) and Fast Track rank 1 and rank 2 (lvl 2 & 6). I wouldn't be too concerned about whether or not you, as a player, will benefit from the right ones because it seems that they will really depend on your own playing schedule and tastes. The extra benefit is that if people complain enough about it on the WoW forums, Blizzard will change them somehow to make it easier to attain (or tell you to join a better guild :lol)

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
will52 said:

WoW is far from being a game where 75% of it is only raids. You seem to forget the whole part about lvling, questing, doing 5 mans, bgs, arenas, exploring, doing achievements for fun, pvp zones like wintergrasp and soon tol barad and other stuff i forget about.

Even if someone hates raid, WoW still have much to offer to that guy.

Aesthet1c

speedpop said:
I'd say even if you had a guild with a dozen active members, 40-50 characters in the guild, you'd still be able to achieve the guild level of 8-10. A lot of the achievements seem to be really random things that people will automatically get whether they put effort into it or not - one of them has you needing to kill 50,000 critters, whereas another has you needing 55 reputations to be exalted. Then there are the ones that require level 85 Human Paladin or level 85 Human Priest etc.

The bigger perks that require high guild levels are really structured toward raiding guilds, such as Mass Resurrection (lvl 25) or Have Group, Will Travel (lvl 21). Compare that to the ones that more casual players would really enjoy, like Mount Up (lvl 3) and Fast Track rank 1 and rank 2 (lvl 2 & 6). I wouldn't be too concerned about whether or not you, as a player, will benefit from the right ones because it seems that they will really depend on your own playing schedule and tastes. The extra benefit is that if people complain enough about it on the WoW forums, Blizzard will change them somehow to make it easier to attain (or tell you to join a better guild :lol)

That's what worries me. My guild, while small, is a very active raiding guild. We only do 10 man's, but we're definitely more than casual. Things like mass res and group travel would be invaluable to us. That's sucks if that's something that our guild will be unable to obtain due to our size, especially since they are putting the focus back on 10 mans.

Tacitus_

Aesthet1c said:
That's what worries me. My guild, while small, is a very active raiding guild. We only do 10 man's, but we're definitely more than casual. Things like mass res and group travel would be invaluable to us. That's sucks if that's something that our guild will be unable to obtain due to our size, especially since they are putting the focus back on 10 mans.

You also get guild exp from pvp, 5man dungeons and I believe questing. Everyone will have a maxed out guild if they just play for a sufficient amount of time.

Dunlop

Aesthet1c said:

Having just formed a new 10 man guild, I am concerned about this as well

notworksafe

Dunlop said:
Having just formed a new 10 man guild, I am concerned about this as well
Why worry? There are no more 10/25 man guilds, just raiding guilds. You don't get extra achievements for 25s, you don't get special gear for 25s. You just get more gear.

As long as you continue to progress through content, you'll get the same stuff a 25 man guild would, including achievement points.

FLEABttn

Banned
notworksafe said:
As long as you continue to progress through content, you'll get the same stuff a 25 man guild would, including achievement points.

And if you didn't for some reason, complain on the boards as it would eventually get fixed.

Dunlop

notworksafe said:
Why worry? There are no more 10/25 man guilds, just raiding guilds. You don't get extra achievements for 25s, you don't get special gear for 25s. You just get more gear.

awesome, that was our plan.

What's sad is I am in the beta and have been getting my ass kicked so much with work that I have not had any time to learn this stuff

Touchdown

Banned
Well I tanked my first Cata dungeon last night, the vortex pinnacle. It was pretty easy on the whole I'm not going to lie. There was one part about 3/4 of the way through where it took some actual crowd control from the entire group to take down a mob. Also, dps is going to need to learn fast about NOT attacking an enemy that the tank is not attacking. In my opinion they did nerf threat from tanks but I think this is a good thing as it gives the battles a tiny more strategy.
One funny thing that happened was (being that it is beta still) as I was tanking like a mad man on the steps leading up to the mid boss, I just fell through lol. The rest of the group of course wiped almost instantly after that haha. Overall I can already tell that this is going to be an extemely easy dungeon especially as most people will outgear it soon after doing a few quests in cata after dinging 80. By the way it was a dungeon finder group, and I was a bear tank with mostly 272 lvl gear and some low 300 gear.

asdad123

Is there a GAF guild for this? Im thinking of coming back for Cataclysm, and id rather play with people from the forum than just starting anew.

Touchdown said:
Well I tanked my first Cata dungeon last night, the vortex pinnacle. It was pretty easy on the whole I'm not going to lie. There was one part about 3/4 of the way through where it took some actual crowd control from the entire group to take down a mob. Also, dps is going to need to learn fast about NOT attacking an enemy that the tank is not attacking. In my opinion they did nerf threat from tanks but I think this is a good thing as it gives the battles a tiny more strategy.
One funny thing that happened was (being that it is beta still) as I was tanking like a mad man on the steps leading up to the mid boss, I just fell through lol. The rest of the group of course wiped almost instantly after that haha. Overall I can already tell that this is going to be an extemely easy dungeon especially as most people will outgear it soon after doing a few quests in cata after dinging 80. By the way it was a dungeon finder group, and I was a bear tank with mostly 272 lvl gear and some low 300 gear.

Well when people outgear it, they move to heroics. I don't think normal mode dungeons were ever intended to be difficult.

Rapstah

asdad123 said:
Is there a GAF guild for this? Im thinking of coming back for Cataclysm, and id rather play with people from the forum than just starting anew.
There's no actual "GAF" guild since most of us play on different servers, but there is a Tarren Mill US guild that contains some gaffers (?) unless that's changed.

Swag

asdad123 said:

Pretty sure Notworksafe runs a guild that has quite a few Gaffers in it currently

Flib

Touchdown said:

That bug is such a pain, luckily one of the people in my group knew the railing trick. Definitely one of the easier instances, the trash is harder than the bosses. It's also pretty forgiving...those wacky pulls at the end with the lightning triangles seem like they're going to be tough, but there is hardly any damage going out.

How are you liking bear tanking on the beta? At 85, I'm actually enjoying it more than live, though I know they're probably going to have to nerf savage defense. It's nice not to swipe spam anymore, and I like the free mangles. Ghostcrawler mentioned yesterday that they're thinking of just buffing tank threat across the board, but I'm not sure they need to (for druids at least). I feel like bear is in a pretty good place, though they could stand to improve the damage of pulverize imo.

notworksafe

Sebulon3k said:
Pretty sure Notworksafe runs a guild that has quite a few Gaffers in it currently
Yep. Area 52 Horde guild. We have some GAF people. Just toss me a PM if you want in. Also in the OP is a spreadsheet of where everyone is.

Bisnic

It is the red one. The one that ask you to get all the achievements from the old 2008 heroics.

Aesthet1c

For those of you in the beta, have you leveled to 85 or are you just playing pre-mades? I'm curious how long it's going to take to make the journey from 80-85.

Aesthet1c said:
For those of you in the beta, have you leveled to 85 or are you just playing pre-mades? I'm curious how long it's going to take to make the journey from 80-85.

Dunno about the whole journey, but you can get to 82 in about 3-4 hours.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Aesthet1c said:
The idea is that it takes as long as 70-80. This would mean that the "increase in power" is more from gear than absolute levels.

But it doesn't sound like a lot of people are putting in the leveling effort since those chars get wiped so quickly.

Being in a GAF guild would be really interesting, except that a) my characters are all Alliance because my wife likes Nelves, and b) moving all of my characters would be obscenely expensive.

Flib

Aesthet1c said:

I've just used pre-mades, mainly because I don't want to level much and burn out on that (with the release so close). Though I've done some leveling in each of the new zones, and it's pretty fantastic. Really love the whole first part of Twilight Highlands (
The invasion and negotations with the Dragonmaw
)

Bisnic

Although we’ve revealed some details of the conversion process (https://forums.wow-europe.com/thread...74620794&sid=1), many of you have asked how many Justice and Valor Points bosses and daily dungeons will actually award. This list is incomplete, and the values may still change, but it covers the majority of the content we’ve been asked about.

•Lich King Heroic dungeon boss -- 16 Justice Points
•Lich King daily normal dungeon -- 12 Justice Points
•Lich King daily Heroic dungeon -- 23 Justice Points
•Lich King raid boss -- 23 Justice Points

•Cataclysm Heroic dungeon boss -- 75 Justice Points
•Cataclysm daily normal dungeon -- 75 Justice Points
•Cataclysm daily Heroic dungeon -- 75 Valor Points
•Cataclysm 10-player raid boss -- 75 Valor Points
•Cataclysm 25-player raid boss -- 105 Valor Points

It’s important to note that once you outgrow content, by leveling past it by a predetermined amount, you’ll no longer gain points. The ‘outgrown’ level for end-game Wrath of the Lich King content is likely to be level 81. Once you level beyond Lich King content you’ll still be able to enter the dungeons, kill bosses, and see their drops, but they will not award you with points. This same principle applies to all content that provides Justice Points, including content from The Burning Crusade.

And i still have no idea how much a T10 chest/helm/leg will cost for those alts with hundreds of emblems.

J-Rzez

So for 25mans, every 3 raid boss kills get one free points wise?

I'm more concerned about the "weekly caps" they put on everything more than anything else at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom