• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anybody tell me about the changes to leveling in Cataclysm in general? I'd like to roll a new character and want to go from 1-end game as a healer. Is that possible now? Back in the olden days, you certainly wouldn't try something so foolish, but I've heard rumblings that this is now possible (well, it was always "possible" it just wasn't practical)--any details on how?

McNei1y

SnakeswithLasers said:
Can anybody tell me about the changes to leveling in Cataclysm in general? I'd like to roll a new character and want to go from 1-end game as a healer. Is that possible now? Back in the olden days, you certainly wouldn't try something so foolish, but I've heard rumblings that this is now possible (well, it was always "possible" it just wasn't practical)--any details on how?

-Level cap 85
-Old worlds being changed. Some zones drastically, others not so much
-New Quests
-New Talents. You get talent specific skills early on, rather than later.
-With the LFG system it makes it easier for tanks and healers to level.

Flib

SnakeswithLasers said:

Healers have much better offensive capabilities now, and you can just press "I" and queue for a random dungeon. Wait times are short for healers or tanks, and it warps you directly to a dungeon with a full and balanced party, and give you extra exp, gold and a random blue item upon completion. You can also dual-spec, so you can have a dps spec in addition to your healing spec, and switch between them at will.

Speaking about dual-spec, isn't the cost going to decrease for that in Cata? I could've swore I saw something that showed it as 100g instead of 1k.

Confused101 said:
Speaking about dual-spec, isn't the cost going to decrease for that in Cata? I could've swore I saw something that showed it as 100g instead of 1k.

I remember seeing that as well. So at least you know you're not crazy.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
•Cataclysm 10-player raid boss -- 75 Valor Points
•Cataclysm 25-player raid boss -- 105 Valor Points
Seems a bit low, doesn't it? How many bosses are going to be in each raid dungeon in Cata? (of those who've been confirmed)

Rapstah

Yoshichan said:
Seems a bit low, doesn't it? How many bosses are going to be in each raid dungeon in Cata? (of those who've been confirmed)
Al'Akir's place should contain one, so I'm not sure how that works out - they'll have to drop better gear than point stuff.

notworksafe

Confused101 said:
Yep. Goes in for 4.0.1.

med_gallery_11878_17_608556.jpg

SnakeswithLasers said:

Having leveled every healing class past 70 at least let me tell you what you have in store.

Priest - They really revamp the holy tree making this class go from good to great. I mean they have everything you can want as a healer. HoT, a shield, fast heal, slow heal, and group heals. I would suggest going priest because they are a core class and the fastest to level. Melting faces is easy and efficient.

Druid - They are the best at HoTs and are my second favorite healing type. The pain comes from leveling the damn thing. My druid was my first character in vanilla and that was when you spec in resto to level. They have come a long way with cat form doing some serious damage. I even tried moonkin which is nice but they run out of mana quick. I hear in Cata that with healing being so expansive, druids will be regulated to tank healing.

Shaman - Shamans are interesting and frustrating. The one thing I wish for is the ability to carry the totems around with me. That would make this class godly. They do decent at damage (I would say better than druids). They have the best group heal in the game with chain healing. But those damn totems. Seriously give me a belt to carry them.

Paladin - I kind of regret my paladin. I was one of the first blood elf on my server and had rolled him for healing. The paladin does great damage, and I felt the term face roller did apply to the class in Wrath. Just spam judgment, crusader strike, divine storm, and exorcism till dead. But when it comes to healing they are limited to two casting spells and holy shock. I quit playing mine at 72, so they might have been updated since. I just found them boring compared to the others.

notworksafe

Yoshichan said:
Blackwing Descent has 5 bosses (with an option Hmode 6th), Bastion of Twilight has 5 (with an option Hmode 6th), Throne of the Four Winds has 2, and Baradin Hold (new VoA) has 1 with more being added over time.

Flib

Dr. Pangloss said:
Having leveled every healing class past 70 at least let me tell you what you have in store.

Priest - They really revamp the holy tree making this class go from good to great. I mean they have everything you can want as a healer. HoT, a shield, fast heal, slow heal, and group heals. I would suggest going priest because they are a core class and the fastest to level. Melting faces is easy and efficient.

Druid - They are the best at HoTs and are my second favorite healing type. The pain comes from leveling the damn thing. My druid was my first character in vanilla and that was when you spec in resto to level. They have come a long way with cat form doing some serious damage. I even tried moonkin which is nice but they run out of mana quick. I hear in Cata that with healing being so expansive, druids will be regulated to tank healing.

Shaman - Shamans are interesting and frustrating. The one thing I wish for is the ability to carry the totems around with me. That would make this class godly. They do decent at damage (I would say better than druids). They have the best group heal in the game with chain healing. But those damn totems. Seriously give me a belt to carry them.

Paladin - I kind of regret my paladin. I was one of the first blood elf on my server and had rolled him for healing. The paladin does great damage, and I felt the term face roller did apply to the class in Wrath. Just spam judgment, crusader strike, divine storm, and exorcism till dead. But when it comes to healing they are limited to two casting spells and holy shock. I quit playing mine at 72, so they might have been updated since. I just found them boring compared to the others.

Paladins are much more interesting/versatile healers in Cata, though their healing output is currently pretty low. Druids are one of the easiest classes to level (especially come cata), and do more damage than shamans. While they're kind of stuck in tank healing rut in beta due to the lifebloom changes, I expect this to change down the road. Alison Roberts at WoW Insider had a nice article on cata druids yesterday: http://wow.joystiq.com/2010/10/05/shifting-perspectives-predictions-for-cataclysm-druids/

Flib

Holy shit, new beta build going up, all tanks having their innate threat increased from +125% to +200%.

That seems...excessive. And I say that as someone tanking on the beta.

Flib said:
Paladins are much more interesting/versatile healers in Cata, though their healing output is currently pretty low. Druids are one of the easiest classes to level (especially come cata), and do more damage than shamans. While they're kind of stuck in tank healing rut in beta due to the lifebloom changes, I expect this to change down the road. Alison Roberts at WoW Insider had a nice article on cata druids yesterday: http://wow.joystiq.com/2010/10/05/shifting-perspectives-predictions-for-cataclysm-druids/

Yeah, I like both the druid and the shaman, but they both have their weaknesses and strengths. Let me just break down my line of thought.

Druids
-Can fill any roll (kind of a double age sword in that Blizzard will make sure you are never as good as a core class, this happen in BC and will happen again if they become too powerful)
-Great at healing AoE damage
-Healing spells are more fire and forget type
-Great at escape especially as a PvP healer
-Has excellent crowd control with roots/cyclone

Shamans
-Great healing spells with chain healing and earthen shield, you save the melee
-You don't have to worry about changing forms, Need a healing spell just do it
-Have to stay in your totems' area of effect =(
-Weak on the crowd control till 70 with the spell hex
-Can be locked out by counter spells, most of his attacks are nature base till lava burst (I think you get that at 10 now in cata)

If I had to choose between them, then I would definitely go druid. Cat form is excellent. You have stealth, roots, cyclone, barkskin, and travel form if you ever need to get away. Druids are definitely more annoying to fight in PvP and their healing in PvE is awesome. Shamans should just stay in the back when it comes to PvP, but they do a good job in raids. Parting comment, priest are still number one.

Flib said:
Holy shit, new beta build going up, all tanks having their innate threat increased from +125% to +200%.

Rune Strike change better be in that mother!

notworksafe

Flib said:

Yeah that does seem like a lot, but it fits the Blizzard style of number balancing. Go overboard at first and then scale it back to a reasonable level.

Sober

Yoshichan said:
I'm surprised there's such a large gap between 10 and 25 (the 30 per raid boss will add up quickly). I was hoping to be able to avoid 25-mans and stuff, ugh.

vilmer_

I've decided to try and level all of my professions, and it's starting to cost a shitload of gold and I'm fast becoming broke :/ I have 120 frost emblems on my mage, so I think I may buy some primordials and get some quick cash :lol

Flib said:
Healers have much better offensive capabilities now, and you can just press "I" and queue for a random dungeon. Wait times are short for healers or tanks, and it warps you directly to a dungeon with a full and balanced party, and give you extra exp, gold and a random blue item upon completion. You can also dual-spec, so you can have a dps spec in addition to your healing spec, and switch between them at will.
This is the most interesting thing for me.

I played a lot of WoW back in vanilla, and a bit of Lich King (left WoW right after our guild started Nax)--pretty much skipped BC. My main focus was always on leveling, rather than endgame stuff.

I know this doesn't mean anything, but I'm familiar with leveling in the game--I have a couple 80s and several 70+ chars, as well as a bunch of characters of varying ranges, done back when BWL was new and exciting, i.e. when leveling was a pain in the ass.

So now I want to start completely fresh in the expansion, but I really want to just go from 1-85 as a healer. If instances are actually a viable and efficient way to level up, then I'm veeeery excited. I'd love to start a new pally (that is the one class I never took very far, since I'm horde and most of my playing was pre-BC). I don't know--I'd love to be able to just jump into the game, queue up an instance, heal for Scarlet Monastery or whatever, and see a similar jump on my xp bar as if I'd been questing. That sounds amazing.

notworksafe

Totally possible now. As a tank/healer leveling mostly in dungeons is very efficient. As a DPS, less so. The XP reward from a dungeon seems to be equal to the same amount of time questing.

However do remember that the old world leveling has been totally redesigned as well. The crap quests you remember don't exist anymore.

notworksafe said:
Totally possible now. As a tank/healer leveling mostly in dungeons is very efficient. As a DPS, less so. The XP reward from a dungeon seems to be equal to the same amount of time questing.

However do remember that the old world leveling has been totally redesigned as well. The crap quests you remember don't exist anymore.

Have they removed all the reduced exp to level ?

Right now you level so fast you can skip many zones on your way to 60 and beyond, did they set the exp curve back to how it was in Classic ?

notworksafe

The haven't changed the leveling XP amounts since the last change in Wrath, but I believe that XP gains in Cata from quests/kills/dungeons have been tuned so that you won't overlevel content by enormous amounts just from playing normally.

notworksafe said:

Well, as soon as Cataclysm is out. Before that, he can still enjoy the mostly boring old quests.

notworksafe

close to the edge said:
Well, as soon as Cataclysm is out. Before that, he can still enjoy the mostly boring old quests.
Well actually just before Cata. The pre-Cata content patch of 4.0.3 will have the new stuff in it (zones, quests, new race/class combos). So I'm betting in about a month or so...maybe a little more.

But yeah, don't subscribe now to get the new quests. Wait just a bit.

notworksafe said:

ffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuu

This sounds sooooo awesome. I've always just enjoyed the group dynamic of healing while leveling. If I'm going to be able to heal a group, then immediately be ported back to where I was leveling to finish up quests (is that how the queue system works?) while I wait for just a couple minutes for another ZF group to form... Oh man...

notworksafe

SnakeswithLasers said:
ffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuu

This sounds sooooo awesome. I've always just enjoyed the group dynamic of healing while leveling. If I'm going to be able to heal a group, then immediately be ported back to where I was leveling to finish up quests (is that how the queue system works?) while I wait for just a couple minutes for another ZF group to form... Oh man...
Yep that's exactly how it will work. From experience, let me tell you that it's pretty dang awesome. :D

Uhh I'm gonna have to level engineering and enchanting on my rogue soon and I think I'm at TBC level with both professions, it's gonna huuuuuuuurt :|
Got DK at 64, think I'll level mining quickly just to cover some cost...

Evlar

Banned
SnakeswithLasers said:
ffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuu

Yep, that's how it works.

Warlock is the only class I don't have a high level toon.

I think I've played too much WoW over the years ...

I'm sticking with my druid .. I can tank, heal, melee/ranged DPS, if I get bored I can try something new with just a respec :D Greatest class in WoW, no wonder I've finally stuck with one, I used to reroll all the time.

Unless Blizzard really messes up the class I'm sticking.

Flib

KernelPanic said:
Warlock is the only class I don't have a high level toon.

I think I've played too much WoW over the years ...

I'm sticking with my druid .. I can tank, heal, melee/ranged DPS, if I get bored I can try something new with just a respec :D Greatest class in WoW, no wonder I've finally stuck with one, I used to reroll all the time.

Unless Blizzard really messes up the class I'm sticking.

We're looking good on beta. Once I went druid, I never went back.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
SnakeswithLasers said:
ffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuu

Yeah, if i play a hybird class, i almost always choose a tank or healer role and just queue for the instance that have the blue drops i want. Wait time can be either 2 secs or 2 mins. :lol

No more annoying runs from Stormwind to Razorfen Down, which literally take almost 20 mins just to get there. Not to mention wasting 3 hours trying to get a full group for it.

Now? Stay where you are, choose your healer or tank role, select Razorfen Down, wait a few seconds, and there you go. You're in Razorfen Down, you will get xp(although, not a huge amount), for completing the dungeon, money & get a random free blue item on top of that.

And to think some people want to go back to the old system.

notworksafe

Will you have to make the run to the entrance once before you can directly queue into it? Or is that just for the Cataclysm-level dungeons?

I feel bad for that guy that has to try and make a group in Trade because he hasn't run the dungeon, but no one will group with him because he's never run it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
notworksafe said:
Blackwing Descent has 5 bosses (with an option Hmode 6th), Bastion of Twilight has 5 (with an option Hmode 6th), Throne of the Four Winds has 2, and Baradin Hold (new VoA) has 1 with more being added over time.
That's less than Wrath launched with. I really hope they either have more stuff ready to go quicker than they did in WLK. Naxxramas had 14 bosses, plus 2 from EoE and OS, then 1 from VoA.

I'm sure the "Naxx was recycled" argument will get thrown out, which while true, isn't really fair since almost nobody actually played Naxx (and Naxxramas was fun as hell as a dungeon, regardless of what you think after playing it 9180918509 times)

notworksafe

There is another raid planned for the first big patch, Firelands. It's the Ragaros raid that was supposed to get in at launch but didn't make the cut.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Firelands

It's supposed to be the opposite of the Skywall raid, so it may be only two bosses. Hopefully they will take the extra time to flesh it out.

EDIT: I thought I had read there is going to be a War of the Ancients raid too. That sounds like it'll be awesome!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I don't know, it's going to take me a hefty long time to reach 85 on either of my 80s. Not having enough dungeons to run through is the least of my concern.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
notworksafe said:
There is another raid planned for the first big patch, Firelands. It's the Ragaros raid that was supposed to get in at launch but didn't make the cut.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Firelands

It's supposed to be the opposite of the Skywall raid, so it may be only two bosses. Hopefully they will take the extra time to flesh it out.

EDIT: I thought I had read there is going to be a War of the Ancients raid too. That sounds like it'll be awesome!
It would be really neat if they could release patches twice as much, but with 1/2 the content of Wrath patches.

That might be an unreasonable expectation on my part, though.

Unless they gate content people will always blow through content faster than Blizzard expects.

Then they introduce things like new grinds to keep people playing (Hello Argent Tournament)

I've decided to return to the game and so I go to d/l it from Blizzard's site and HOLY FUCKING SHIT does it suck balls. 70 kbps and I can't do a damned other thing because their shitastic bitorrent system just hogs it all.

There has got to be a better of way of grabbing the client than from Blizzard directly, right? No I don't have the disks smart asses. :D

Angry Grimace

Outdoor Miner said:
I've decided to return to the game and so I go to d/l it from Blizzard's site and HOLY FUCKING SHIT does it suck balls. 70 kbps and I can't do a damned other thing because their shitastic bitorrent system just hogs it all.

There has got to be a better of way of grabbing the client than from Blizzard directly, right? No I don't have the disks smart asses. :D
I'm pretty sure you could get it from a regular BT client which will be much faster.

The Patches themselves are available from various mirrors as direct downloads.

Angry Grimace

KernelPanic said:
Unless they gate content people will always blow through content faster than Blizzard expects.

Then they introduce things like new grinds to keep people playing (Hello Argent Tournament)
Of course, back in the day they were combined by making the grind BE the gate :lol

Sciz

Outdoor Miner said:

Disable P2P connections in the options.

Outdoor Miner said:

Wowwiki has a section http://www.wowwiki.com/Patch_mirrors At the bottom it has links that take you from zero to 3.0.1. Use at your own risk.

Flib said:

Can't wait to test it out later today, but on paper it doesn't sound excessive. In the past the threat situation has been utterly pathetic, at least from my perspective as a prot warrior. The first heal received can wind up causing a third add (attempt) to dart at the healer.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So 4.0.1 (the patch that's coming maybe next week) wil be the JP exchange right? When will the actual world changes come? In what patch?

notworksafe

Yoshichan said:
So 4.0.1 (the patch that's coming maybe next week) wil be the JP exchange right? When will the actual world changes come? In what patch?
Yes, next week (probably) is 4.0.1, which is the patch with the JP changes, new talents, new UI, and (I believe) new glyphs. World changes are coming in 4.0.3 which has no release date so far.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Flib said:

I tried tanking on a premade prot warrior on the beta and it made me never want to touch my warrior again. Just so aggravating in terms of the work I had to do to hold threat.

Maybe I'm just a bad though.

Flib

Didn't realize the other classes were so messed up. Druid was fine unless the dps didn't hold off or started nuking CC'd targets.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Flib said:
We're looking good on beta. Once I went druid, I never went back.
agreed.

my first character was shaman (60), then warlock (70), then hunter (50), and finally druid (80) is what i settled on. such a fun class to play. feral is where it's at.

rogue is also heaps of fun with all their little tools and tricks and i'd probably make it my main if i could be bothered levelling him up to 85. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom