• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If they are putting the new raid system on ICC, why don't they just make the loot the 25m loot?

It makes no difference at all in terms of the content, but it would make the game more fun for 10m guilds for a month or so since they could get better gear.

notworksafe

I think it'll be Tuesday. Other than PvP (which they are tossing a bandaid on), it's pretty much ready to go from what I've played.

Plus with Season 8 ending Tuesday it'd be perfect timing.

thatbox

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
If they are putting the new raid system on ICC, why don't they just make the loot the 25m loot?

It makes no difference at all in terms of the content, but it would make the game more fun for 10m guilds for a month or so since they could get better gear.
Because of all the 264 BIS gear that comes from 10man heroic ICC.

Alex said:
Maxing out WoW can be harder than it seems. Always, always knock the shadows down one notch, top end Shadows in WoW eat shit tons of resources for little noticeable benefit

I wonder what it will take in Cata to run at 2560x1440 with everything cranked up including shadows, sunshafts, water, AAx16, multimapping x4... I think it will require a heavy machine, if you want smooth frames in the big cities.

EVERYONE has crazy mounts and vehicles now. everyone is flying around like psychopaths. As I was twirling around Stormwind last night, it didn't feel like a fantasy game anymore. it felt like a pokemon zoo, with lots of weird people riding pokemons, machines, motorbikes and such.

I think it's a problem. Blizzard has been so focused on 1-uping themselves every patch, every month, every year, by making more and more crazy gear, loot, weapons, items, armor, mounts, vehicles, effects, characters, hairstyles... and now the result is that while everyone is a epic hero with flames going out of their shoulder pads and weapons engulfed in pure energy glow that puts lightsaners to shame, while riding massive dragons that are half made of stone / half on fire, that it's not special.

it's over saturated isn't it? I guess some of the hardcore gamers back in the day did have a point about now giving out the epic looking content out to everyone. Not talking stats, but cosmetics only!

anyway, the increase in effects is crazy. its going to lag a lot. I wonder if WoW can utilize SLI/Crossfire and 4-6-8 core CPUs and 8 GB ram...

I am still really sad that we have not seen updates to older races character models. This makes me sooooo sad. the other thing is that I wish the skybox would be updated to BC/WOTLK level. the skybox in old azeroth is not very good looking... clouds seems to be made from squares that are smudged out with some blur effect to give them a cloud look, but its really noticeble how bad it looks when you can fly around.

I messed around with archeology yesterday. I think it's "okay". It's not as cool as I had hoped. Not by a long shot. Getting a generic item took... I don't know. 5-10 minutes, but I had no idea what to use it for(a troll voodoo doll... a small description in the archeology tab). I had hoped there would be epic information about the lore and world of WoW, like the index in Mass Effect or the epic quest journal in Warhammer Online, but it doesnt feel like it.

In fact I think its sad you cant see all the quests you have completed in your quest log.

Just for reference, prim saronites are going for around 500-800 on my server at the moment.

And what do you guys think will be the big money making professions this time around? I'm just trying to figure out what I should do with my Draenei Paladin alt. I'm really just looking to make money, but if it's useful too (like JC), that'll work well. :D

EDIT: And we should have something at the top of every page for FAQs.

4.0.1 - This patch, probably coming this tuesday, will be all the stat and skills changes and justice points conversions. The world itself remains the same.

4.0.3 - This patch will include "The Shattering" in which Deathwing is unleashed upon Azeroth, changing it forever. New zones, quests, and race combos will be available when this hits. We don't know an actual date though.

Hope that helps! :D

Rapstah

Confused101 said:
Just for reference, prim saronites are going for around 500-800 on my server at the moment.

And what do you guys think will be the big money making professions this time around? I'm just trying to figure out what I should do with my Draenei Paladin alt. I'm really just looking to make money, but if it's useful too (like JC), that'll work well. :D

EDIT: And we should have something at the top of every page for FAQs.

4.0.1 - This patch, probably coming this tuesday, will be all the stat and skills changes and justice points conversions. The world itself remains the same.

4.0.3 - This patch will include "The Shattering" in which Deathwing is unleashed upon Azeroth, changing it forever. New zones, quests, and race combos will be available when this hits. We don't know an actual date though.
I was unsubsribed for the WOTLK launch and the BC launch was so long ago I can't actually remember, but wouldn't the armour making professions earn loads while the basic gear they can make is actually useful in raids?

Sciz

krypt0nian said:
So has MMO-Champ said anything about this Tuesday or is it another week at least?
The last three PTR patches have been 16, 5, and 4.7 MB respectively. They're just fine tuning spell data at this point, and they can do that just as easily on live. Should be Tuesday.

Rapstah said:
I was unsubsribed for the WOTLK launch and the BC launch was so long ago I can't actually remember, but wouldn't the armour making professions earn loads while the basic gear they can make is actually useful in raids?
Good question, I have no clue. The only true crafting profession I have at a high level is tailoring on my Warlock. I didn't have a second profession until I got hacked and the hacker leveled mining up to 450 for me.

notworksafe

Rapstah said:
Yeah the weapon/armor makers will do very well. The demand for crafted gear will be high and they will be able to craft starter pvp gear as well. It may stay profitable because they will get crafted gear recipes to match with every raid tier and pvp season.

I imagine JC won't be as great for gold making this time around because of the cooldown remival for gem transmutes.

Calantus

Vigilant Walrus said:

I agree, but it's not going to be so bad with the mounts, since there is no central hub, everyone will be much more spread out compared to wrath, the continents are much larger, and there is more than one main city. Alliance more so since they use ironforge and stormwind about equally, Horde only uses org for the most part.

Evlar

Banned
The Lamonster said:
Is that as of the latest beta patch? It was my understanding they forced dismount on flying in Ironforge as of a week or two ago.

Which would be a major bummer... There's plenty of headroom in most of Ironforge to allow flying without it disrupting the normal city operation any more than flying will disrupt Stormwind or Org.

Evlar said:
Is that as of the latest beta patch? It was my understanding they forced dismount on flying in Ironforge as of a week or two ago.

Which would be a major bummer... There's plenty of headroom in most of Ironforge to allow flying without it disrupting the normal city operation any more than flying will disrupt Stormwind or Org.
Oh then you're probably right. I saw it in a Cata beta video a month or two ago.

And that's retarded. If they're going to give us Old World flying, don't water it down.

Kintaco

Evlar said:

I guess IF will be a ghost town then! I hope UC doesn't have the same fate.

What's a good NA Alliance server, I'll probably roll a Worgen, I've only really done Horde and I don't want to repeat my server decision "mistake" again. Preferably PvP even though I suck at it, but PvE is fine as well.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Why are Blizzard so fucking good at making quests lately? The Worgen are is RIDICULOUS.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Yoshichan said:
Why are Blizzard so fucking good at making quests lately? The Worgen are is RIDICULOUS.

I'm going to say having 6 years of experience in WoW quests kinda helped in improving them.

Rapstah

Painraze said:
How are the new 1-60 quests?
Hellfire Peninsula quality for what I've played (which I'll admit is only up to 32 as an Orc Mage). Ashenvale is still pretty boring but that's just because it's Ashenvale.

EDIT: To clarify, it's like Hellfire Peninsula but without the "holy shit I'm in Hellfire Peninsula" factor. Ashenvale probably has the smallest "holy shit I'm in Hellfire Peninsula" coefficient of all zones.

Rapstah said:
Hellfire Peninsula quality for what I've played (which I'll admit is only up to 32 as an Orc Mage). Ashenvale is still pretty boring but that's just because it's Ashenvale.

EDIT: To clarify, it's like Hellfire Peninsula but without the "holy shit I'm in Hellfire Peninsula" factor. Ashenvale probably has the smallest "holy shit I'm in Hellfire Peninsula" coefficient of all zones.
As opposed to the much wider known 'Holy Shit Why Am I Still in Outlands' factor.

My second time through Outland was more "Holy shit, I didn't even step foot in Shadowmoon Valley".

I'm hoping my third time through goes as fast.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Confused101 said:
My second time through Outland was more "Holy shit, I didn't even step foot in Shadowmoon Valley".

I'm hoping my third time through goes as fast.

my fourth time in outlands was like "holy shit, I'm barely done with Zangermarsh. Off to Northend!" :lol

Nangrad is enough for me, I like it there, Back when my WoTLK hadnt turned up on time I was leveling on my own in the nether storm and that place was a bloody nightmare!

Painraze said:
my fourth time in outlands was like "holy shit, I'm barely done with Zangermarsh. Off to Northend!" :lol
Haha this. I completely skipped Netherstorm, Blade's Edge Mountains, much of Terokkar Forest, much of Nagrand, and almost all of Shadow Moon Valley. I enjoyed being able to pick and choose the best parts and quests of each zone.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Johnlenham said:
Nangrad is enough for me, I like it there, Back when my WoTLK hadnt turned up on time I was leveling on my own in the nether storm and that place was a bloody nightmare!
Netherstorm was pretty fun, actually. The one that sucked was Zangarmarsh because you used to dismount in water, which meant you had to keep summoning your mount when you wanted to take shortcuts.

notworksafe

Painraze said:
The last time I went through Outland I skipped Hellfire (hate that place), and I only had to do Zangermarsh and about half of Nagrand before I moved on to Northrend. :lol

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Vigilant Walrus said:
EVERYONE has crazy mounts and vehicles now. everyone is flying around like psychopaths. As I was twirling around Stormwind last night, it didn't feel like a fantasy game anymore. it felt like a pokemon zoo, with lots of weird people riding pokemons, machines, motorbikes and such.

I think it's a problem. Blizzard has been so focused on 1-uping themselves every patch, every month, every year, by making more and more crazy gear, loot, weapons, items, armor, mounts, vehicles, effects, characters, hairstyles... and now the result is that while everyone is a epic hero with flames going out of their shoulder pads and weapons engulfed in pure energy glow that puts lightsaners to shame, while riding massive dragons that are half made of stone / half on fire, that it's not special.
Warcraft has always been about that though. Although WC1 and WC2 were much more "serious" about the fantasy aspect, you could see shades of the trademark humour and over-the-top looks appear even in WC2. In WC3, it was everywhere. The only reason why it wasn't everywhere in the beginning and onwards of WoW is due to the fact that you had to poopsock to get something massive and glowing alongside a title to befit the notion that you had no life outside of WoW. I like the fact that it's much more open ended these days, people can do practically anything they want without having to cram ridiculous amounts of time to achieve something.

I mean, it's WoW. Everyone wants to be different, hence the multitude of choices and options. Of course then Brewfest comes along and everyone will be riding their Brewfest mounts... till the next "carrot-on-the-stick" mount appears. The same thing will probably happen when the next big flying mounts hit, no one will bother with the Protos - does anyone ride their Netherdrakes anymore?

Vigilant Walrus said:
I am still really sad that we have not seen updates to older races character models. This makes me sooooo sad.
It baffles me as to why they can't do this, especially with an expansion that is literally changing everything from vanilla. I know the designers have stated their reasons prior and it seems like they don't really want to step on the toes of the general playerbase - though not like that doesn't happen every month. Hopefully we'll see something unfold sometime soon because Dwarves, as cool as they are, look so fucking horrible that it's a scandal.

Anyone think that the new focus on tight guilding will cause the price of craftables to plummet since you should always have a guildie to make them at cost?

Bisnic

I think Blizzard is just not sure how to improve their classic races AND pleasing most of their player base. I remember some people complaining when they upgraded the cat & bear forms of druids... "i dont like the eyes wah wah" "omg, whats with the huge fat ass of the bears?" "shit colors, i want shoulderpads on my cat form QQ".

Can you imagine what will happen the day they change the human models and still half the players will find something to complain about.

I still want them to improve those races of course, it's hard to play a classic race compared to a BC one, and soon the Cataclysm ones.

Bisnic said:
I think Blizzard is just not sure how to improve their classic races AND pleasing most of their player base. I remember some people complaining when they upgraded the cat & bear forms of druids... "i dont like the eyes wah wah" "omg, whats with the huge fat ass of the bears?" "shit colors, i want shoulderpads on my cat form QQ".

Can you imagine what will happen the day they change the human models and still half the players will find something to complain about.

Hell, then they should never change anything.

But people will be so shell-shocked by the massive upcoming changes, they will have no more QQ left for the much needed improvements of the old races.

Fuck them.

notworksafe said:
UC is redesigned to accommodate flying mounts I believe. Isn't the top of it basically taken off?

No, they just actually finished the place. They used the same tricks they used in Stormwind like making it look like the Keep is actually all there when it's just a 2d picture.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Bisnic said:

I still want them to improve those races of course, it's hard to play a classic race compared to a BC one, and soon the Cataclysm ones.

honestly i think it has a lot to do with making the new models fit with the old armor.

the art on the models are decent IMO, the biggest problem are the form factors at this point (human arms, night elf waste). and if they were to fix those they'd have to refit all the armor they've made so far or devise some sort of algorithm to auto fix it.

J-Rzez

Painraze said:

Ironically, this has been the same for me for the last few toons. Always around the same point too. If i were ever to win the lottery so I didn't have to work, and had nothing to do, I think I'd consider trying to level a toon via DF and BGs to end game, just to see how broke I would be just getting money from loot that drops in the dungeons, and zero loot from bgs.

Bisnic said:

Honestly, as long as they even tried to make the characters look better people would give them a free pass most likely just because that how hideous many of the vanilla models are, like the humans for example. The human look and animate so bad it's not even funny. Their proportions are so off. I wouldn't doubt seeing them trying to touch them up, but it won't happen until the next expansion. Hopefully they overhaul the entire engine by that point, though I doubt that'll happen.

Yazus

J-Rzez said:
Honestly, as long as they even tried to make the characters look better people would give them a free pass most likely just because that how hideous many of the vanilla models are, like the humans for example. The human look and animate so bad it's not even funny. Their proportions are so off. I wouldn't doubt seeing them trying to touch them up, but it won't happen until the next expansion. Hopefully they overhaul the entire engine by that point, though I doubt that'll happen.

I dont think they will ever update the whole engine. It would require an enormous ammount of time and effort that its not even worth it.

I think a blue said something about old races BTW, something about updating old model is definitely up in their to-do list.

I think if the model a cool boss its ok, you are going to see him maybe 100 times, but a race model is something you are seeing 100% of the time you are playing, so it has a HUGE impact on your experience.
I think they should have done this with Cataclysm but hey, maybe a content patch in Cata (filler for next exp pack to keep people buisy) or maybe a core feature for next Expansion... no new classes or races but all races got an update. Would be definitely ace.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Yazus said:
I dont think they will ever update the whole engine. It would require an enormous ammount of time and effort that its not even worth it.

I think a blue said something about old races BTW, something about updating old model is definitely up in their to-do list.

I think if the model a cool boss its ok, you are going to see him maybe 100 times, but a race model is something you are seeing 100% of the time you are playing, so it has a HUGE impact on your experience.
I think they should have done this with Cataclysm but hey, maybe a content patch in Cata (filler for next exp pack to keep people buisy) or maybe a core feature for next Expansion... no new classes or races but all races got an update. Would be definitely ace.

I'm guessing we wont see many new models until next XP at this point. Eventually I can see us getting new old world models, new warlock pets and new druid forms (moonkin, flight, etc).

Loam

Has blizzard said anything regarding if previous expansions are required to play Cataclysm? I'm thinking about getting into WoW again when it hits but I never bought WotLK. I checked Blizz's Cataclysm FAQ but it was just generic info about the game. I'm hoping I can just buy Cata and ignore WotLK entirely, anyone know if if thats going to be possible?

LowParry

Wren said:
Has blizzard said anything regarding if previous expansions are required to play Cataclysm? I'm thinking about getting into WoW again when it hits but I never bought WotLK. I checked Blizz's Cataclysm FAQ but it was just generic info about the game. I'm hoping I can just buy Cata and ignore WotLK entirely, anyone know if if thats going to be possible?

I'm pretty sure you have to have Wrath to play Cata. As with BC. I'd imagin we'll see a battle chest coming out soon.

Bisnic

Wren said:

If you wanna try the improved classic lvl 1-60 zones, you do not need the expansions. However, if you wanna do all the zones lvl 70-85, you will need Cataclysm AND WOTLK.

Evlar

Banned
I'm 99% sure you'll need Wrath to install the Cataclysm expansion, and you'll need Cataclysm to get the expansion-specific features, including access to Worgen and Goblins and their starting zones.

Loam

Aight thanks for the heads up guys. Guess I'll wait for a battle chest to be released then, seems silly to drop $40 on an expansion that I would just be powering through anyway.

Angry Grimace

Evlar said:
I'm 99% sure you'll need Wrath to install the Cataclysm expansion, and you'll need Cataclysm to get the expansion-specific features, including access to Worgen and Goblins and their starting zones.
They really should bundle Wrath and TBC with the base game. It's kind of weird to redesign the entire game, but certain features based around that are just not available unless you buy 3 consecutive x-pacs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom