• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Angry Grimace said:
They really should bundle Wrath and TBC with the base game. It's kind of weird to redesign the entire game, but certain features based around that are just not available unless you buy 3 consecutive x-pacs.

Pretty much. The Battle Chest is a decent solution, but the base game really shouldn't exist anymore.

Evlar

Banned
notworksafe said:
Do you even have to pay for the base game anymore or can you just start paying the subscription after the trial is up?
Still have to buy the license, whether through retail or the online storefront.

The dilemma is that they want the gateway to be very cheap. If you bundled Vanilla, TBC, and Wrath together you'd charge what, $50 for it? $40 at the least? That's probably too much to hook some prospective players. They can charge $30 for the stand-alone vanilla box (probably should be even as low as $20) and new players can swallow that up-front cost easier. Once the hook sets they'll pay for TBC and Wrath by the time their first characters need the content.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Evlar said:
Still have to buy the license, whether through retail or the online storefront.

The dilemma is that they want the gateway to be very cheap. If you bundled Vanilla, TBC, and Wrath together you'd charge what, $50 for it? $40 at the least? That's probably too much to hook some prospective players. They can charge $30 for the stand-alone vanilla box (probably should be even as low as $20) and new players can swallow that up-front cost easier. Once the hook sets they'll pay for TBC and Wrath by the time their first characters need the content.
My bigger problem is that TBC and Wrath don't feel like particularly interesting additions to the base game from the perspective of a new player.

90% of players won't buy TBC until they NEED TBC to keep playing, at which point the content you get with it feels very small and depressing; i.e. 8 levels of content you'll just want to blow through. I mean, you get spacegoats and elves with it, but by the time you buy it, those are irrelevant additions since you won't care to relevel just to be an elf.

I'd like to see Blood Elves and Draenei as part of the base game, Outlands priced at $9.99 and Wrath at $19.99, (Wrath is a better sell at this point because DKs are demonstrably cool and worth playing).

notworksafe

Evlar said:
The Vanilla/BC Battle Chest is $30 on Amazon, and Vanilla by itself is less than $20.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H96C9M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Angry Grimace said:
I'd like to see Blood Elves and Draenei as part of the base game, Outlands priced at $9.99 and Wrath at $19.99, (Wrath is a better sell at this point because DKs are demonstrably cool and worth playing).
Won't happen until the games stop selling at their current price, and sales don't seem to be slowing down.

Evlar

Banned
notworksafe said:
The Vanilla/BC Battle Chest is $30, and Vanilla by itself is $20.
I forgot the current pricing, but yeah. That's my point. They want whatever is sold as the basic box to be as cheap as possible to encourage spur-of-the-moment purchases.

notworksafe

Evlar said:
I forgot the current pricing, but yeah. That's my point. They want whatever is sold as the basic box to be as cheap as possible to encourage spur-of-the-moment purchases.
To be fair, $18 for Vanilla WoW is pretty good considering the amount of content...especially after the Cataclysm. It's only $3 more than a COD Map Pack. :lol

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I always though what they should do is just have two editions out at a time. WoW and latest expansion. Once a new expansion comes out, the old one gets merge into the original WoW. It never has to go down from the 40-50$ then. With it just building up from past ones.

shintoki said:
I always though what they should do is just have two editions out at a time. WoW and latest expansion. Once a new expansion comes out, the old one gets merge into the original WoW. It never has to go down from the 40-50$ then. With it just building up from past ones.

Yup. Tell some noob that he has to buy 3 more expansion to be current and he's out.

J-Rzez

That's a huge turn off for a couple of my friends too that they're going to have to buy 3 xpacs and vanilla. They need to really slash the prices at this point of the old stuff.

Well I bough the battle chest for like £10, played my free month to get to 60 then the next free month or something to 70 then bought lichking at that point I was thinking £20 for it was a steal as id paid £10 for two month of gaming.

Now it should be V merged with tbc/lich then buy cata or something along those lines.
especially as vannila is basically dead, youd install that to then wipe over it before you could even play it due to the patching process :lol

markot

Banned
They have slashed the price of vanilla and tbc, and they will cut wotlk when cata comes out.

You can still get all 3 for less than the price of most other games.

Yaweee

markot said:
They have slashed the price of vanilla and tbc, and they will cut wotlk when cata comes out.

You can still get all 3 for less than the price of most other games.

Yeah. The game and the first two expansions for $60 really isn't that bad. It should drop a bit, or be combined, but it is not really prohibitive.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
mclem said:
~=600 frosts, ~=1600 triumphs, and not being too fond of playing the auction house.
WOW.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
"We previously announced in the Cataclysm Beta forums that we'd be enforcing a 600 guild member cap with patch 4.0.1. We've reevaluated what we believe the realms are capable of supporting and instead will be enforcing a guild member hard cap of 1,000 members.

This new guild cap is being enforced for several reasons, but they all factor into a need to control guild sizes in light of the new guild systems, including guild leveling and achievements. Previously, adding players to a guild was as simple as adding people to a chat channel. While approximately 500 members were visible in the UI, there was no real need to limit guild size. That is no longer the case. Guild leveling in Cataclysm features unified progression powered by a series of complex systems that track the contributions of all guild members. The larger the guild, the bigger the impact on these systems. We found it necessary to determine a maximum guild size to ensure continued performance now and into the future.
"

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
People complain, Blizzard listens.

Amazing developers.

Yoshichan

Sebulon3k said:
All other MMO devs should take notes
Yeah... but especially that one particular dev.

I created a warlock 3 weeks ago and I'm up to lvl 32. Anybody on Alexstrasza around that level? I want somebody to play with so I don't have to stand around waiting for people who want to do instances.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
shintoki said:

Or do what SoE does with Everquest. The latest expansion includes all of the previous content.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
SuperSonic1305 said:
I created a warlock 3 weeks ago and I'm up to lvl 32. Anybody on Alexstrasza around that level? I want somebody to play with so I don't have to stand around waiting for people who want to do instances.
you're a warlock. just solo the instance ;)

Ripclawe

Banned
price have crashed to the point on gilneas that I am just hoarding netherweave bags at 4-5G each and cobalt bars are below price I could make vendor profit.

Yoshichan

FINALLY got my kingslayer :D Thank you guild for getting me it before Cataclysm!

FLEABttn

Banned
Iadien said:
Or do what SoE does with Everquest. The latest expansion includes all of the previous content.

They do that because they risk brick and mortar irrelevance. Blizz games sell out the ass so Best Buy doesn't give a shit if there's 3 or 4 different WoW boxes out there that you can buy, that shit flies off the shelf compared to EQ2.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Using my Priest on the PTR, all I have to say is that Priests seem to have WAY too many buttons to heal.

Sorry, Blizz, but having to map 10 buttons just to heal noramlly, not even counting "ohshit" buttons like GS is pretty ridiculous.

1- Flash Heal
2 - Heal
3 - Gheal
4 - Renew or PW:S
5 - PoH
6 - CoH/Penance
7 - Sanc/Aspire/Serenity can be macrod into one button, or PW:B for Disc
8 - Dispel/Cure Disease
9 - PoM

Oh shit buttons: Divine Hymn, HoH, GS, PS

It just seems like overkill to have to have that many abilities to use at once.

markot

Banned
Well, priests are the closest to 'pure healer' class in the game, only one with 2 trees dedicated to healing really.

And I like that about them, its nice to have all the options >.<

Although I think it would be nice to give more priest spells a heal/dmg ability depending on who you cast it on.

Angry Grimace

markot said:
Well, priests are the closest to 'pure healer' class in the game, only one with 2 trees dedicated to healing really.

And I like that about them, its nice to have all the options >.<

Although I think it would be nice to give more priest spells a heal/dmg ability depending on who you cast it on.
It's not like you have an option to just cast one spell, you have to actually cast all of them. The spells are too contextual.

I don't even get the implementation of the heal spell, it's far too slow to be useful when it heals for so much less than Flash heal. It heals for less than half of a Fheal, and is slower and weaker than Gheal. I get the idea that it's "cheap" but that's too many buttons for the same concept of dropping a regular heal. It's just an aggravating spell to have to deal with.

Alex

I immensely disagree, Priests are perfectly fine, there are simple classes for people who want simple healers. I enjoy the large toolbox on the Priest class, especially when a lot of what you're listing is either a situational class tool or not even a heal.

The only tweaks I'd want to see to cleaning up buttons is taking some of the clunk out of Chakra and perhaps separating PoH into a Disc only thing and tweaking CoH to be it's full time replacement for Holy as it's a bit off kilter on the beta atm anyway

I don't even get the purpose of the heal spell, it's far too slow to be useful when it heals for so much less than Flash heal. It heals for less than Fheal, and is slower and weaker than Gheal. I get the idea that it's "cheap" but that's too many buttons for the same concept of dropping a regular heal.

Every healing class has this three step model in Cataclysm. It won't make sense under the context of the PTR, but it sure as hell does in the beta, the standard heal is the backbone.

Angry Grimace

Alex said:
I immensely disagree, Priests are perfectly fine, there are simple classes for people who want simple healers. I enjoy the large toolbox on the Priest class, especially when a lot of what you're listing is either a situational class tool or not even a heal.

The only tweaks I'd want to see to cleaning up buttons is taking some of the clunk out of Chakra and perhaps separating PoH into a Disc only thing and tweaking CoH to be it's full time replacement for Holy as it's a bit off kilter on the beta atm anyway
Actually, there aren't really any. Virtually all of them have more than 7 buttons they are expected to press regularly now. Even Paladins have like 7 when you consider 3 single target heals, Beacon, Word of Glory, Holy Shock, SS, Light of Dawn + new heal (I forgot the name of it, the PBAOE one)

Alex said:

Every healing class has this three step model in Cataclysm. It won't make sense under the context of the PTR, but it sure as hell does in the beta, the standard heal is the backbone.

It's not the concept, it's the fact it just compounds the clutter and contextual problems when you have so many other buttons to deal with. You have to remember we pretty much never cast Gheal ever in Wrath.

Consider you can heal just fine in WLK with FH, Renew, CoH, PoM and very rarely using GH or PoH.

Alex

You didn't cast a lot of things in Wrath, because healing is downright silly in Wrath, it's absolutely terrible what a narrow spamfest it can be. I question some of their methods to fix it, but as far as using your greater spellbook and getting the most out of it, they've succeeded there.

I can understand getting annoyed at some of the clutter, but I don't think it's quite there yet, if they keep packing it on for another expansion or two though....

But I don't think Shaman or Paladin are anything resembling cluttered, Priests and Druids arguably are, but they're also designed that way and I really enjoy having extra buttons for extra situations or alternate "rotations".

Tree of Life and Chakra could really be altered though, I like the concept of both but it does go a bit far especially since it's pretty limited to your environment.

Angry Grimace

Not to mention, Surge of Light is still a terrible investment at that 6% proc rate. It needs at least a 15% proc rate to be worth putting 2 talent points in. Which is too bad because it's actually a pretty fun talent on live. Seems like it would be a better ability if it proc'd an instant heal rather than FH since they seem to have made the proc rate so low due to the fact that FH heals for so much.

Alex

Surge of Light is way too low, I agree entirely, too bad Twirling Light didn't make it, much better concept but oh hey, it doesn't OOM you if you look at it funny, better erase it.

I'm still displeased with healing on the full though in beta. Everything about healing that isn't managed in a tightly controlled, current PvE environment pisses me off at the moment. Although not that being unable to correct anyones mistakes regardless and relying completely on everyone else to ace things is annoying me too.

Heal scaling and the new mana model can fuck off and die. Opposite extreme ten fold. These two parts wouldn't need to occur if they could lay off the buffs and ridiculous gear laddering.

Angry Grimace

Alex said:
You didn't cast a lot of things in Wrath, because healing is downright silly in Wrath, it's absolutely terrible what a narrow spamfest it can be. I question some of their methods to fix it, but as far as using your greater spellbook and getting the most out of it, they've succeeded there.

I can understand getting annoyed at some of the clutter, but I don't think it's quite there yet, if they keep packing it on for another expansion or two though....

But I don't think Shaman or Paladin are anything resembling cluttered, Priests and Druids arguably are, but they're also designed that way and I really enjoy having extra buttons for extra situations or alternate "rotations".

Tree of Life and Chakra could really be altered though, I like the concept of both but it does go a bit far especially since it's pretty limited to your environment.
I'm hoping I heard wrong, but I've heard PW:S pretty much sucks at 85 for Disc.

Alex

I think PW:S is still broken at the moment. At least everyone says it is. I've only put a bit of time into Disc. Penance is kind of fudged too currently, it's really low. I'd pray to god these aren't actually intended numbers, because this would be class destroying for me.

Right now, the best healing for Disc is Smite for Eva/Archangel, Atonement and Train of Thought into Inner Focus > Greater Heal, which personally I'm having fun with but PW:S and Penance NEED to go up. Which I think will happen but I'm still worried they actually intend to launch with damage higher than and outscaling healing just to support this zany new model.

They just started some mild PvP testing and raid testing is going up soonish they say, also they haven't made any meaningful beta patches in awhile so I assume the numbers game is about to begin.

Angry Grimace

Alex said:
I think PW:S is still broken at the moment. At least everyone says it is. I've only put a bit of time into Disc. Penance is kind of fudged too currently, it's really low. I'd pray to god these aren't actually intended numbers, because this would be class destroying for me.

Right now, the best healing for Disc is Smite for Eva/Archangel, Atonement and Train of Thought into Inner Focus > Greater Heal, which personally I'm having fun with but PW:S and Penance NEED to go up. Which I think will happen but I'm still worried they actually intend to launch with damage higher than and outscaling healing just to support this zany new model.

They just started some mild PvP testing and raid testing is going up soonish they say, also they haven't made any meaningful beta patches in awhile so I assume the numbers game is about to begin.
25m raid of Disc priests n tanks imo

itxaka

Defeatist
wow, after playing in the PTR things have changed a lot!

I don't know If I can get used to the new things on day one, gotta practice in the PTR a lot.

Plus some of the tooltips don't even say what they do like "Use this when you gain more rage that you can spend" :lol

One thing that I didn't like it was that I had to re-buy everything I got from trainers as they wiped the old talent system. That sucks, it was expensive to buy everything and now we have to buy it again?

speedpop said:
Warcraft has always been about that though. Although WC1 and WC2 were much more "serious" about the fantasy aspect, you could see shades of the trademark humour and over-the-top looks appear even in WC2. In WC3, it was everywhere. The only reason why it wasn't everywhere in the beginning and onwards of WoW is due to the fact that you had to poopsock to get something massive and glowing alongside a title to befit the notion that you had no life outside of WoW. I like the fact that it's much more open ended these days, people can do practically anything they want without having to cram ridiculous amounts of time to achieve something.

I mean, it's WoW. Everyone wants to be different, hence the multitude of choices and options. Of course then Brewfest comes along and everyone will be riding their Brewfest mounts... till the next "carrot-on-the-stick" mount appears. The same thing will probably happen when the next big flying mounts hit, no one will bother with the Protos - does anyone ride their Netherdrakes anymore?

Yeah I am all for the individualism, but when trade districts are just blocked my massive flying dragons you cant see anything. It doesn't feel like the cool over the top fantasy anymore. it's just polygons and particle effects smashed into each other.

Hixx

Vigilant Walrus said:
Yeah I am all for the individualism, but when trade districts are just blocked my massive flying dragons you cant see anything. It doesn't feel like the cool over the top fantasy anymore. it's just polygons and particle effects smashed into each other.

Stormwind's trade district is gonna be an absolute mess, it looks nasty even now without huge mounts. Orgrimmar will be ok, the AH/bank area is quite spacious in comparison.

markot

Banned
They added an AH and Bank to the Dwarven district too so it should spread out abit. (Plus it has an Anvil/Forge!)

I really hope IF doesnt become a wasteland >.<! I like it...

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Just let people fly in Ironforge and it will be fine. If they can allow people to fly around Undercity, then I see no reason why the Dwarven capital can't receive the flying mount treatment since they're essentially built in the same manner (circle).

I used to keep my bank alt at Ironforge simply because Stormwind was always the most crowded due to RP.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
3,000 rep away from Cenarion Expedition Exalted after we cleared the Coilfang heroics. I'll be so thankful this one is over and finally get the Hippogryph. Now I just need to spend the next hour grabbing ears :lol

I've always preferred IF as a city. Definitely love flying around on my mount through it in the beta, as well as exploring the airstrip place above IF.

It would be cool if every major city had some exclusive perk to attract players. Right now everyone congregates in SW since a lot of the Cata quests begin there (as well as temporary portals to new zones), RP, etc. I'd love to see something like each city have a couple exclusive portals to different areas.

J-Rzez

Me and my guildies were discussing who's going after what reputations we're not exalted with. I got picked to do "The Defilers", great... :lol

Swag

J-Rzez said:
Me and my guildies were discussing who's going after what reputations we're not exalted with. I got picked to do "The Defilers", great... :lol
:lol

Have fun with that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom