• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I find nothing surprising about that holy priest footage to be honest. When i was leveling as holy during wrath it was seriously a similar thing. My mana would drain out after about 3 mobs and that was with wanding. If he bothered to wand, he would have been in a similar situation. Wanding is key to leveling as holy.

When i switched to leveling as shadow, it was like night and day :lol

Is patch 4.0.1 really 4GB? I noticed someone mention that on another forum and thought holy shit, that's insane.

markot

Banned
Yeah, lots of it is there for the big change when it comes eventually so you dont have to download 10ish gigs or wahtever it ends up being.

And yea, lvling my priest, it was always painful unless you speced shadow >.< which is why dual spec is a godsend. Maybe not as painful as that but still, youd go out of mana so quick...

markot

Banned
Yeah but for solo you cant really >.< healing is for group play. It only works if someone else is taking and dpsing for you!

And shadow is pretty powerful, little downtime and you can heal still!

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
Well wanted to play a healer, if I'm gonna dps may as well do it on a Pure
That makes no sense. If you level solo, each class has to be able to DPS. You can't heal someone to death. There's nothing stopping you from leveling with a group.

Disc is mana efficient on this 80 pre-made and smite heals you.

I'm gonna test out holy.

Flib

DeathNote said:
Halp pleaze.

I have a day to farm the hairlooms I want I guess...

On the PTR, I have a level 10-19 of the following classes and I'm trying to choose between them: Warlock, Paladin, Druid, Warrior, Shaman, Hunter.

They are all fun to level honestly.

The next question is how are they are 80-85 PVE and PVP. Well, I have a pre-made for all but its a big learn cruve since I never played any past 19.

Paladin is probably one not to choose because of the overabundance.

Have a ton of 80's, but druid is what I always come back to. Having a ton of fun with all specs on the beta. My former main was a hunter, but getting a druid to 80 changed that. Pvp-wise, we do seem weak on the beta, balance seems to be the best which is strange. pve wise, all specs seem to be decent aside from resto's being underpowered.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Flib said:
Have a ton of 80's, but druid is what I always come back to. Having a ton of fun with all specs on the beta. My former main was a hunter, but getting a druid to 80 changed that. Pvp-wise, we do seem weak on the beta, balance seems to be the best which is strange. pve wise, all specs seem to be decent aside from resto's being underpowered.
It seems to be amazing leveling. I can do range dps, melee, heal, or tank. I know I wont endgame tank, but I might endgame heal.

As far as PVP goes... I feel like you have to choose between a gimped range,gimped rogue, underpowered restro.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So the consensus is that the "skill positions" (i.e. tanking and healing) BOTH suck to play in Cataclysm?

Doesn't really sound like a winning combo.

As for the patch size, Blizzard's made me download so much crap I'm being throttled to hell by my ISP.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
markot said:
Is that the consensus >.<?
It sounds like it. I'm not in the beta, but everyone makes it sound like that; i.e. people were bitching about threat a lot so they buffed it across the board, and my experience on the PTR with healing is that it's kind of complicated and annoying.

Idk, there was a conversation a few pages back where I mentioned that you're expected to regularly press 10 different buttons just to heal in Catalcysm as a priest. It seems a bit much to me.

Angry Grimace said:
So the consensus is that the "skill positions" (i.e. tanking and healing) BOTH suck to play in Cataclysm?

Doesn't really sound like a winning combo.

As for the patch size, Blizzard's made me download so much crap I'm being throttled to hell by my ISP.

Sure to be dumbed down before too long if both roles are a pain in the ass.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Are prot warriors still strong for soloing in Cataclysm at least? I've got 2 prot warriors, and its really easy to solo with them. You do a lot of damage with Shield Slam & Revenge, and you take little damage with your tanking gear/talents on the live servers right now, and its just how i want them to stay.

Angry Grimace

Bisnic said:
Are prot warriors still strong for soloing in Cataclysm at least? I've got 2 prot warriors, and its really easy to solo with them. You do a lot of damage with Shield Slam & Revenge, and you take little damage with your tanking gear/talents on the live servers right now, and its just how i want them to stay.
I would hope that a level 80 character with 251 purples is not likely to find leveling ultra dangerous beyond things you couldn't fight in any known gear.

markot

Banned
Yeah, they dont announce patch until the last second due to 'unforeseen circumstances' that could arise that mean they have to delay it. A huge bug or something discovered just before they put it out.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Had a guild mate drop down 1000g for dual spec, he had not known that the price for it will be 100g soon. I guess people really don't read WoW news :(

Angry Grimace

"We will be performing extended maintenance on Tuesday, October 12th. Maintenance will begin at 12:00 AM PDT and conclude at approximately 12:00 PM PDT. During this time, all realms and many web services will be unavailable.

Thank you for your patience."

Translation:

"We will be performing extended maintenance on Tuesday, October 12th in order to apply a patch. Maintenance will begin at 12:00 AM PDT and conclude at approximately 4 to 6:00 PM PDT or whenever the actual patch starts working properly, which it never does at first.

During this time, all realms and all web services will be unavailable.

We already anticipate you being extraordinarily impatient and harassing the shit out of our employees despite the fact that applying a global alteration in the game system by definition is going to require hard work and probably will not work right for a while. We understand that some of you will go so far as to suggest you should get refunds for the .49 cents you paid for the day of service, but just sack up and deal with it."

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Bisnic said:
Prot is still the best leveling spec in my opinion. Shield Slams seem even bigger, if I'm remembering right.

Also, people complaining about the Holy priest stuff should know it's always been like that. Just go Disc.

Alex

ezekial45 said:
If it helps, after playing on PTR, I enjoy paladin healing. :D

Holy Paladins are probably the most iffy on beta of the healers currently, they're really sitting on a few silly mechanics that will probably wind up dragging them down or just getting nerfed and they have some really bad tuning on their core spells.

They are, currently, very good at burst healing with some cooldowns but in between they're fairly iffy. I won't disagree that they're more fun than on Live, their toolbox is much better off and they have some really cool mechanics like Daybreak and I like Holy Power in general. I do wish they'd stop beating poor Infusion of Light with a hammer though.

The PTR is a pretty bad source of anything though, I mean, for example, your mana costs are still down to Earth, like Flash of Light sure as hell doesn't cost 7000 mana on the PTR. Once you get all those costs skyrocketed and you get pushed into the new healing model things change really fast.

But healer to healer will be an easy clean up, and all of the healing mechanics are pretty sound, it's just their philisophy on the values that drives me nuts. I was thinking it'd be like BC-styled or something, which would have been amazing, BC did it right. In Cata's beta, I just feel like some kind of messed up pet.

Also, people complaining about the Holy priest stuff should know it's always been like that. Just go Disc.

It isn't Holy, it's the new model in general, you're not going to dodge the archetype wide changes by swapping to another spec within the archetype.

As for tanking, tanking is fine in Cata. I'd say it's better in terms of fun factor. I've heard Paladins cry because they can't macro their entire damned tank rotation anymore, but other than that it's simple numbers adjustments for certain things (namely AOE tanking) concerning actual concerns I hear about often.

thatbox

Banned
Alex said:
Holy Paladins are probably the most iffy on beta of the healers currently, they're really sitting on a few silly mechanics that will probably wind up dragging them down or just getting nerfed and they have some really bad tuning on their core spells.

They are, currently, very good at burst healing with some cooldowns but in between they're fairly iffy. I won't disagree that they're more fun than on Live, their toolbox is much better off and they have some really cool mechanics like Daybreak and I like Holy Power in general. I do wish they'd stop beating poor Infusion of Light with a hammer though.

The PTR is a pretty bad source of anything though, I mean, for example, your mana costs are still down to Earth, like Flash of Light sure as hell doesn't cost 7000 mana on the PTR. Once you get all those costs skyrocketed and you get pushed into the new healing model things change really fast.

But healer to healer will be an easy clean up, and all of the healing mechanics are pretty sound, it's just their philisophy on the values that drives me nuts. I was thinking it'd be like BC-styled or something, which would have been amazing, BC did it right. In Cata's beta, I just feel like some kind of messed up pet.
I agree that paladins look like the shakiest healers right now, and I also agree that TBC healing was pretty much right on. Cata healing doesn't look anything like TBC healing currently.

Billen

Banned
Been playing some WOW again after a looong break. Now I read about this heriloom thing, and I want in on it for future and current alts. Got a crappily geared Druid, level 80, which I intend to use for heriloom farming. What is the fastest way? :D

Alex

Billen said:
Been playing some WOW again after a looong break. Now I read about this heriloom thing, and I want in on it for future and current alts. Got a crappily geared Druid, level 80, which I intend to use for heriloom farming. What is the fastest way? :D

The patch will make the badge vendor heirlooms nearly impossible to get, they will cost 5x what they do now.

So you can either all day binge tommorow and get what you can bought before midnight PST or you can just peck away at the Argent Tournament I believe.

I still have no idea why they felt the need to change the prices on those heirlooms though, it makes no sense, clearly I'm missing something. I've read that it's being done under the new setup for the 85 ones... yeah ok but why touch the 80 ones again...?

mclem

DeathNote said:
Oh god, the tiger boss was like a 10 minute fight.

I tried killing them one by one. Didn't work. In different places cause I remember that as a raid strat. Didn't work. I tried killing them then interrupting the resurrection. Didn't work. Finally realized I should get them all to low health them AOE them down at once.

Thank you deep blood for easily keeping me alive the whole time.

Try it as a paladin tank sometime. Low DPS, long-cooldown interrupts *and* susceptibility to silence.

Fortunately, there's a bit of a trick. With a bit of careful positioning you can get Lor'khan on one side of a pillar and the other two the other side. Without LOS, Lor'khan can't heal them so you can get those two low then swap to the healer.

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
Heard so much about quest helper. Would have been great to use now since I just got back in but I hear it's dying when the new patch comes out this week since the developer isn't updating anymore :(

Any other good alternatives out there??

Billen

Banned
So, I can basically forget all about heirlooms and continue to level my alt in an ordinary fashion since they will change the economy come wednesday? Oh well. :D

ezekial45

Banned
DeathNote said:
-Can you stack two PVE heirloom trinks and get 4% total healing?

-What 1H should I get for warrior prot leveling?

The +spell power trinkets scale to your level, so you only regain 2% mana per kill. Two of the same heirloom trinkets stack though.

Mass of McGowan is nice.

Billen said:
So, I can basically forget all about heirlooms and continue to level my alt in an ordinary fashion since they will change the economy come wednesday? Oh well.

You can always save your gold until the guild vendors are available once Cata launches. Then you can buy the heirloom helm, legs, rings, and cloak.

yacobod

Banned
for heirloom gear i think i've accumulated the following:

Plate valor shoulders
Plate valor chest
Arcanite Reaper
2x swift hand of justice
2x eye of the beast
Dal'Rends
2x balanced heartseeker
2x mass of mcgowan
Lava Dredger
grand staff of jordan
cloth dreadmist chest
cloth dreadmist shoulders
leather shadow chest
leather shadow shoulders
mail herod chest
mail herod shoulders

pretty much set for leveling any class

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Before he logged off quickly, a geared warrior told me to... Go Arms+Lava Dreger until 60. Then use Lava Dreger+Arcanite Reaper in Fury. (Except.. you don't get Titan's Grip at 60 anymore, so that'd be 69.) And he said to use Dal'Rend in Prot.

Everyone seems to have a different opinion.

I want the best for PVE, tanking, and PVP.

GBX_AdamF said:
Heard so much about quest helper. Would have been great to use now since I just got back in but I hear it's dying when the new patch comes out this week since the developer isn't updating anymore :(

Any other good alternatives out there??

The wow-pro addon has gotten my Paladin to level 70 so far in nearly 4 days and cannot recommend it enough for getting an alt up fast.
I hope the guides are going to be updated when Cataclysm is released.

mclem

yacobod said:
for heirloom gear i think i've accumulated the following:

Plate valor shoulders
Plate valor chest
Arcanite Reaper
2x swift hand of justice
2x eye of the beast
Dal'Rends
2x balanced heartseeker
2x mass of mcgowan
Lava Dredger
grand staff of jordan
cloth dreadmist chest
cloth dreadmist shoulders
leather shadow chest
leather shadow shoulders
mail herod chest
mail herod shoulders

pretty much set for leveling any class

What's the total emblem cost of that little lot? Wondering about converting some of my stockpiled emblems into a handy heirloom kit.

Yazus

Yoshichan said:
The rotation for Resto Druids is broken and overall very odd at the current state. Even Elitist Jerks are very confused about the whole situation. But yeah, healing in Cataclysm pretty much forces everyone not to take extra damage since healers are having big problems healing everyone at a constant rate.

I always throw Reju and x3 LB on the tank while spamming Nourish on him. I noticed that if you throw Nourish when LB's got a second left, it won't refresh which is a really frustrating bug. This should be fixed.

If tank's getting hammered, I do Reju, SM, x3 LB, Nourish. If that's not enough, I usually time my Healing Touch so that it heals him for the amount of health he needs (you shouldn't overheal in Cata, we can't afford that at the current state).

Always use Healing Touch when Omen of Clarity procs. Regrowth heals nowhere near HT, even if it crits (let alone if HT crits, which is a fucking beast).

Regrowth is extremely broken, in a bad way. I still haven't found a good way of using this except for situations like "Oh shit, this guy is one second from dying, fast heal inc!". And even then, it feels as if Reju + SM would seem like a better thing to use, if you've put point into Swift Rejuvenation.

Wild Growth sucks. In fact, that whole part of the talent tree sucks IMO. 6k mana for something that heals so little % to party members seems like such a waste. I'd rather prefer people standing in my SM AoE while I Reju everyone up (much more efficient).

Tree form is situational and yet I've never found a good place to use it. I currently hate it at the current state. Instant Regrowth? Yay, OoM in less than 8 seconds. LB procs on another member? Who the hell cares, LB alone doesn't save your party. Wrath/Roots? LAWL. Come the fuck on.

Thanks for the head up. I basically play the same way you listed above, and yeah Regrowth is useless unless some DPS is taking really high damage and I put a fast heal on him + Swiftmend + HT.

Anyways, also your list about cata HCs is definitely right, but Id say that a buffed up version of Vortex Pinnacle would be in ToT levels. Also, Heroic Lost City is really nice :) (we hadnt an outdoor instance since what, zul aman?)

Either way, I'm getting bored, seriously its been more than 12 days since a patch hit the beta servers... I'm hopin the next patch to fix the known issues and raid testing schedules :D

Evlar

Banned
DeathNote said:
Before he logged off quickly, a geared warrior told me to... Go Arms+Lava Dreger until 60. Then use Lava Dreger+Arcanite Reaper in Fury. (Except.. you don't get Titan's Grip at 60 anymore, so that'd be 69.) And he said to use Dal'Rend in Prot.

Everyone seems to have a different opinion.

I want the best for PVE, tanking, and PVP.
Here's mine: Definitely use the Venerable Mass of McGowan on a prot warrior. The +Agil is far more valuable to a tank than extra crit, and once you see how much cheap damage/threat Revenge can pump out you'll have more than one reason to dodge as much as possible.

Meier

speedpop said:
It took me 3 quick dungeon runs as a Priest to get from 36 to 38 with heirlooms. Quite ridiculous.
:O Guess I should be doing this on my warlock.. haven't run any randoms since trying Razorfen a few times. I only have 1 trinket for him.. probably should run some dungeons on my main and get the other one.

I decided to level him up some over the past weekend and got to 42.. finally got my felpuppy as well which seems like a massive upgrade over the imp and voidwalker. Love the fact I can take on so many mobs who are my level or higher.. just absurdly awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom