• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been grinding heroics on my holy pally for the past 2 days, not for heirlooms or the gold conversion, but I want the 2500 emblem achievement before it's gone. :lol

Totally lame and pointless, but whatever. I was 80 short yesterday and I only need 13 now

LowParry

HarryDemeanor said:
My guild is acting like it's armageddon tomorrow. Hilarious.

Why's that? Because of the talent changes? I guess it's a big deal to some if they don't test out their class in ptr.

HarryDemeanor said:
My guild is acting like it's armageddon tomorrow. Hilarious.

It's kind of ironic considering the Cataclysm is coming. My favorite people are the ones that believe that half the raids are going away, they won't be able to get loremaster anymore, they're taking out all the raid mount achievements and titles, and all sorts of crazy rumors that people have made up.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Bisnic said:
Well, goodbye "classic" WoW.

We'll miss ya. Or not.
All they are changing are the class mechanics; the Catalcysm isn't until 4.0.3.

I suppose this patch includes the hilarious Stormwind Elemental attacks?

Quick tip for non-Druids: the new Druid AoE heal called Efflorescence is a *GOOD* green puddle and is ok to stand in.

Do not run out of it like they have been on the PTR! :lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
CcrooK said:
So I've put together some specs for 4.0.

Mage:
Fire - http://wowtal.com/#k=W3xUrJ5d.a5o.mage.RYmycg
Frost - http://wowtal.com/#k=3Bkl_8B.a5o.mage.-N3Yjx

DK:
Blood - http://wowtal.com/#k=BuC6jOC1.a5o.deathknight.WPfL-
Unholy - http://wowtal.com/#k=3C8Rkzd.a5o.deathknight.rgW7p

Keep in mind that these are up to level 79. Last remaining 5 points are at lvl 85 of course.
I have to say, I don't really understand some of your choices there.

DK: You shouldn't really take RPM in any spec since you pretty much never will be RP capped. You definitely want a point in Magic Suppression for certain.

As for that Fire spec, you really can't not take Firestarter. I can understand not taking Imp. Scorch since it's not a mana drain of a spell, but not skipping Firestarter.

Edit: To be honest, you're missing essential talents in all those builds; i.e. you don't have Cold Snap. You can't miss Cold Snap. Taking Frostfire Orb 2 months from when you can even obtain Flame Orb makes no sense; take Reactive Barrier instead. Also, I can't fathom why you'd glyph for Deep Freeze over Ice Lance; Deep Freeze can't be "active" on a PvE target other than trash mobs.

LowParry

Mr Pockets said:
Here is my Fire spec... http://wowtal.com/#k=ewaS5yv.a5o.mage.

A little different from yours. Dropped Arcane Con for more fire dmg.

Ah I see. To me, I just don't see a point with pve with Firestart and Burning Soul talents. They seem more for pvp in that regard. But it's not wrong either cause nothing has been fully tested out.

Angry Grimace said:
I have to say, I don't really understand some of your choices there.

DK: You shouldn't really take RPM in any spec since you pretty much never will be RP capped. You definitely want a point in Magic Suppression for certain.

As for that Fire spec, you really can't not take Firestarter. I can understand not taking Imp. Scorch since it's not a mana drain of a spell, but not skipping Firestarter.

Edit: To be honest, you're missing essential talents in all those builds; i.e. you don't have Cold Snap. You can't miss Cold Snap. Taking Frostfire Orb 2 months from when you can even obtain Flame Orb makes no sense; take Reactive Barrier instead. Also, I can't fathom why you'd glyph for Deep Freeze over Ice Lance; Deep Freeze can't be "active" on a PvE target other than trash mobs.

Really. Firestarter I just don't see much use for PvE. You're standing most of the time. It make sense one way or the other though it does needs raid testing. The Frost Orbs I didn't even think about. Makes perfect sense and will make the adjustment on that. Cold Snap...PvP. 8 min cooldown of a pve use isn't exactly great imo. I rather place the point elsewhere. It's not essential at all. The Deep Freeze I was looking at the % used. You may be right with it's application on bosses not working unless it stacks it down as debuff because from what I recall in regular heroics, Deep Freeze didn't appear to work on easy mobs. Just going off memory. That's a glyph to test around to see where its differences lie.

With the DK, with Blood, the extra 3 points can vary. Could put those three points into Virulence. Another testing aspect of course. I mainly tank so the Magic Suppression from other dps DK I really never see used at all.

Angry Grimace

CcrooK said:
Ah I see. To me, I just don't see a point with pve with Firestart and Burning Soul talents. They seem more for pvp in that regard. But it's not wrong either cause nothing has been fully tested out.
Well, sure, if dps was only a matter of standing there and pressing buttons in a specific order, then that makes sense; I don't really know what to tell you if you don't think being able to cast Scorch while moving has any PvE utility.

I'd recommend checking EJ for sample specs.

Got a nice amount of conquest emblems stacked for the gold. Figure I'll have plenty of time to get JPs between tomorrow and Dec 7th and beyond.

Did anyone do ICC bosses on the ptr? I heard the dodge debuff is going to be removed; guessing that will make it even easier.

LowParry

Angry Grimace said:
Well, sure, if dps was only a matter of standing there and pressing buttons in a specific order, then that makes sense; I don't really know what to tell you if you don't think being able to cast Scorch while moving has any PvE utility.

I'd recommend checking EJ for sample specs.

Scourch has a 20 second count down. It doesn't need to be applied all the time. With what we currently have, it's worthless. When it comes to Cata, that could change entirely.

Angry Grimace

CcrooK said:

Really. Firestarter I just don't see much use for PvE. You're standing most of the time. It make sense one way or the other though it does needs raid testing. The Frost Orbs I didn't even think about. Makes perfect sense and will make the adjustment on that. Cold Snap...PvP. 8 min cooldown of a pve use isn't exactly great imo. I rather place the point elsewhere. It's not essential at all. The Deep Freeze I was looking at the % used. You may be right with it's application on bosses not working unless it stacks it down as debuff because from what I recall in regular heroics, Deep Freeze didn't appear to work on easy mobs. Just going off memory. That's a glyph to test around to see where its differences lie.

With the DK, with Blood, the extra 3 points can vary. Could put those three points into Virulence. Another testing aspect of course. I mainly tank so the Magic Suppression from other dps DK I really never see used at all.
Actually, it doesn't need raid testing; it just takes basic logic to figure out that being able to cast a spell which does damage slightly less than Fireball while moving is a DPS increase. It's a silly proposition to argue that you don't move in raid encounters.

Also, you are very, very wrong about Cold Snap. CS resets the cooldown on both Deep Freeze and Icy Veins immediately, which are obvious and massive DPS increases.

It's especially strange given you put the point from Cold Snap into improving a spell you literally don't have.

CcrooK said:
Scourch has a 20 second count down. It doesn't need to be applied all the time. With what we currently have, it's worthless. When it comes to Cata, that could change entirely.
I don't think you understand what you're talking about here; Scorch applies Critical Mass; but you don't ever need Critical Mass up other than the first time because Pyro refreshes the debuff; the actual DPS of Scorch in 4.0.1 is only slightly behind Fireball.

notworksafe

I'll miss you, Old WoW. :(

Until the servers go up tomorrow anyway.

EDIT: Any other Paladins out there? I'm curious what other sorts of builds people are coming up with. Especially for Ret, as I haven't looked into it at all.

Angry Grimace

CcrooK said:
Alright you purple nerple.

Look at these then. There's a remaining two points that I can't place where to put. Fire Mage and DK Unholy.

Mage: http://wowtal.com/#k=e3DUSLb.a5o.mage.RYmycg

DK: http://wowtal.com/#k=3fWyv-p.a5o.deathknight.rgW7p
I personally would take the points out of Impact and put them in Cauterize. Impact isn't very good in reality because you very rarely cast Fire Blast and the DoT spread might be useful, but the proc rate isn't very good. If you really want Impact, I think it's better than Improved Scorch because Scorch doesn't cost much mana to begin with. Improved Flamestrike is a far more reliable AoE investment.

I don't know if Piercing Chill is worth it because I don't know if the additional chill effects grant more chances for FoF to proc; if they do it's a good investment, otherwise it isn't at all. I don't think Permafrost is a good use of points either beyond a single pt.; the Elemental never dies in PvE because like all pets it has ridiculous amounts of AoE damage reduction.

Angry Grimace

CcrooK said:
Would dropping Blast Wave be a better option since you're using Flamestrike more?
No, because a) Blast Wave procs a free Flamestrike if you take Imp. Flamestrike and you have to HAVE BW to cast it; and b) because there isn't a superior investment to Blast Wave. If you had the capability to drop Dragon's Breath, you would (but you don't.)

As the server ticked down to 15s, I used one final Divine Intervention on a friend as he jumped off of the Temple of Storms.

I'll miss you DI :(

Got my hunter to 13 before stuff went down.

I guess I have no idea what to expect..

I havent played in years and my hunter is a new char .. :X

I just hear that I will be killing stuff a lot faster now after this patch..

notworksafe

TurtleSnatcher said:
Got my hunter to 13 before stuff went down.

I guess I have no idea what to expect..

I havent played in years and my hunter is a new char .. :X

I just hear that I will be killing stuff a lot faster now after this patch..
Just wondering, why resub now instead of for 4.0.3? The leveling is just going to be the same old, same old as far as content goes.

mclem

Bisnic said:
Man, looking at all the class changes on MMOchampion... it seems everyone will have trouble playing decently on the first days. :lol Can't wait to see the results in instances.

Our raid calendar for Wednesday (EU patch day) merely says "Something". We'll probably do an easy raid to break in rotations and things; Naxx is likely.

Angry Grimace

CcrooK said:
Alright. Frost adjustment. The 1 point in Piercing Chill or Permafrost would apply. Pending on if Piercing works the way it does. IF so, then dropping a point out of Reactive Barrier into Piercing would work for the better.

Frost: http://wowtal.com/#k=3BkuBHG.a5o.mage.qXxUXx
Ice Shards might not be that useful though; consider the context of using it; it will trigger FoF; but for AoE purposes in Frost you just cast Blizzard the whole time and Blizzard doesn't benefit from FoF at all.

LowParry

Angry Grimace said:
Ice Shards might not be that useful though; consider the context of using it; it will trigger FoF; but for AoE purposes in Frost you just cast Blizzard the whole time and Blizzard doesn't benefit from FoF at all.

Well there's also the range of Ice Lance that increases. But I dunno. That's two conflicting talents I don't know how will work as a whole yet. Ice Shards and Piercing Chill.

Edit: Dropping a point out of Reactive Barrier would give the two talents to their full two points. Guess that'd be the way to test them.

notworksafe

TurtleSnatcher said:
Because I wanted to play now?
Well in that case! :lol

I just figured someone starting out fresh again would want the totally new leveling experience instead of the same old junk, but maybe I'm jaded after leveling through it a few times.

notworksafe said:
Well in that case! :lol

I just figured someone starting out fresh again would want the totally new leveling experience instead of the same old junk, but maybe I'm jaded after leveling through it a few times.
I've leveled through it a few times myself.

But...

I also just played FF14 and right now the old content feels like god just touched my body and gave me immortality.

Shocked no one has made a thread in Gaming Discussion..

This is a rebirth to WoW pretty much. Everything is so different and will only get more different in November and again in December..

Alex

I'm really excited for 4.0.3, this (4.0.1) will be neat, but since I just came back after a long while and am still in my crusty Ulduar gear I'm looking more towards leveling up and seeing the new world than tinkering with current content. I farmed in Karazhan once though, that's good gold! Also man, man Karazhan, that was a good freaking dungeon, IMO. I had almost entirely forgotten about it. Anyhow, I hope the talent shifts don't make that any harder for me.

I'm gonna wind up not making a Goblin I bet, just because I want to get started right away! Hopefully it's like before Thanksgiving? That'd be great.

I procrastinated buying my heirlooms a lot because I couldn't decide on a new Cata character, I was on there at like 11;40 PST buying them, heh.

cdyhybrid

Is there any reason whatsoever to resub before Cata? I have two level 80 characters (War and DK) but the main reason I would be resubbing would be to level a Goblin Rogue, which I obviously would have to wait for. I quit a few weeks before ICC went live, so I probably don't have any guild or "friends" still playing.

mclem

notworksafe said:
I'll miss you, Old WoW. :(

Until the servers go up tomorrow anyway.

EDIT: Any other Paladins out there? I'm curious what other sorts of builds people are coming up with. Especially for Ret, as I haven't looked into it at all.

My tentative prot spec:

http://wowtal.com/#k=p3v_AuY.a5o.paladin.

The Grand Crusader points are up in the air a bit, it's looking like there's not many opportunities to use any such procs currently.

We've still got a day left out here in Europe. We managed to scrape Uld25 drakes for a significant proportion of the guild yesterday, too, so everyone's quite pumped about having saved a lot of money. Hopefully we'll have enough on today for Algalon, but I think a few people considered Yogg+1 as effectively our final raid.

After the patch hits, I'm not quite sure what we'll do. I know some people are kinda loath to play their current characters when they're already planning a switch in Cataclysm. We're probably going to relax raid rules a lot.

ezekial45

Banned
My new goblin shaman is so close. :(

I really enjoy all the little adventures and side events that happen whilst leveling. That is just as fun as learning a new class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom