• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I'm debating whether I should re-sub right now just to witness all the drama caused by the talent changes.

Hixx

MattPeters said:
As the server ticked down to 15s, I used one final Divine Intervention on a friend as he jumped off of the Temple of Storms.

I'll miss you DI :(

I'll miss hearing people say 'oh bugger. Sorry guys seems my game has locked up.' on vent after using it :lol

Am also debating whether to resub for the precata fun but wondering whether I'll have the time between Wow, Halo and upcoming exams.
I play a Ret paladin and thinking of pretty much the same specs as NotWorkSafe. With no theory crafting in my mind, will possibly change and put points into Judgements of Pure (from Arbiter) and may grab Eye for an Eye as like to PvP a bit.
Going to need to have a look at all my other toons at some stage.
Anyone know if with this patch resetting costs for respeccing back to zero cause I know they did it for Wotlk but can't remember which patch it was in? Also is cost for dual spec decreased with this patch or is that the next one?

Hixx

droppedbear said:
Am also debating whether to resub for the precata fun but wondering whether I'll have the time between Wow, Halo and upcoming exams.
I play a Ret paladin and thinking of pretty much the same specs as NotWorkSafe. With no theory crafting in my mind, will possibly change and put points into Judgements of Pure (from Arbiter) and may grab Eye for an Eye as like to PvP a bit.
Going to need to have a look at all my other toons at some stage.
Anyone know if with this patch resetting costs for respeccing back to zero cause I know they did it for Wotlk but can't remember which patch it was in? Also is cost for dual spec decreased with this patch or is that the next one?

100g for dual spec as of 4.0.1 I think.

Not sure on resetting the respec costs but I would imagine so, or at least I hope so!

lordmrw

I'm looking forward to messing around with Subtlety spec today. That and with my combat spec, being able to solo some of the world bosses I've always wanted to kill like I did on the PTR. 30 second Blade Flurry, Recuperate, and Reinforced Leather made me feel like a fucking god on the PTR. If I still had access to Unfair Advantage and Riposte it would have been even more awesome, but oh well.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is it just me or does the new Arcane Mage tree just sucks now? Everytime i look at it, i see too many situational talents that i need to pick so i can go down further to pick up the better talents. Seriously, i dont want some talent that boost my spell power only when i interrupt or reducing the global cooldown of Arcane Explosion or stunning a polymorphed target...

Looks i will have to spec Fire now, but all my gear is Haste Haste Haste, does Fire mages still rather use Crit than Haste?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I haven't read up on any of these changes. It's going to be interesting logging on my pally later today it seems like!

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
TurtleSnatcher said:
I see this patch as big as 4.0.3 IMO

but to each his own :)

Yeah this patch changes WoW mechanically and 4.0.3 changes WoW physically. Both will have a huge impact on the game. This seriously feels like WoW 2.

Aesthet1c

Bisnic said:
Is it just me or does the new Arcane Mage tree just sucks now? Everytime i look at it, i see too many situational talents that i need to pick so i can go down further to pick up the better talents. Seriously, i dont want some talent that boost my spell power only when i interrupt or reducing the global cooldown of Arcane Explosion or stunning a polymorphed target...

Looks i will have to spec Fire now, but all my gear is Haste Haste Haste, does Fire mages still rather use Crit than Haste?

Yeah I'm in the same boat. Aracane looks almost like it's a pvp tree now. On the PTR I was only pulling like 7k dps on a targeting dummy with arcane, and I was able to hit 10k with fire. Granted this isn't a raiding situation, but I'll still probably switch to fire. If I'm unable to pull the same kind of dps in ICC as I did on 3.3 arcane, then I'll try out the other specs.

markot

Banned
like 6gb in total if anyone is wondering >.< 4.7 before, then installation of the new streaming client, then another 1.3ish.

Dunlop

Work is still kicking my ass so I have done jack squat on the PTR or on the Cat beta ; (

I did however see a damn cool vid of a priest using the different states of Chakra so my opinion has changed from hating it to mildy interested.

I do not have enough buttons on my mouse to entertain the healing of the different chakra states.....

Wish the stupid ass Shattering patch would be out tomorrow.
There just nothign interesting to me to do now, no one wants to raid so I just log in cruise around Dal, do a few heroics out of boredem and log off :/

At least if the new stuff was in I could enjoy leveling a new class for a month+

Tommorow is oging to be log in.
"oh joy UI is fucked"-fix it- sort out talents- do a few heroics to make sure I can still tank and thats it :(

explodet

I have no idea what to expect with my pally tank, except that 969 is dead and AOE tanking is going to be terrible without consecration. I think I'll hit RFC again and work my way up to make sure I know what I'm doing.

I haven't even glanced at ret specs yet.

mclem

explodet said:
I have no idea what to expect with my pally tank, except that 969 is dead and AOE tanking is going to be terrible without consecration. I think I'll hit RFC again and work my way up to make sure I know what I'm doing.

Consecration's been overrated since Wrath started, really. It's nowhere near the glue it was back in TBC. The new Hammer of Righteousness should cover the AoE threat deficit.

Meier

Can someone link me to a good rundown of the major changes tomorrow? I heard about the emblem thing so I bought the last heirloom I could afford for my warlock but I didn't use up all my frosties.. oh well.

I heard they're removing the dodge penalty from ICC which is good since I still have never been in a group that made it past PP (Lothar is terrible.. closest I've got is one group that had him down to 500k once and just under 1000k another time -- UGH) so I am hoping to do so eventually.

Tacitus_

Has anyone figured out the most efficient way to level up? I've done some light reading and the suggested route seems to be Hyjal/Vashj'ir->Deepholme->Uldum/Twilight Highlands but that's not that helpful for rushing to 85

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Meier said:
Can someone link me to a good rundown of the major changes tomorrow? I heard about the emblem thing so I bought the last heirloom I could afford for my warlock but I didn't use up all my frosties.. oh well.

I heard they're removing the dodge penalty from ICC which is good since I still have never been in a group that made it past PP (Lothar is terrible.. closest I've got is one group that had him down to 500k once and just under 1000k another time -- UGH) so I am hoping to do so eventually.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/

all the info should be in the first story

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Sciz said:
You're taking Pyromaniac without Impact?
From my tests on the PTR, impact didn't exactly work how I thought it would. he fire damage very rarely spread (linked to the stun % I guess?) and I don't care about the stun, so it was useless to me.

We'll see how it works on live. I duel spec two fire specs to test which one works best for me, usually one is more geared to PVP though.

explodet

mclem said:
Consecration's been overrated since Wrath started, really. It's nowhere near the glue it was back in TBC. The new Hammer of Righteousness should cover the AoE threat deficit.
This is true, cons was kinda sucky compared to it in BC. Plus I read they're changing Holy Wrath to damage all types of targets now? That should help in a pinch.

J-Rzez

We're getting the band back together!

Seems like this will be the first time my guild raids ICC in over half a year, just to see how things change up. Will be interesting to see how classes changed and all that jive.

Looks like I'm going to stay Unholy, as I was putting out over 2k+ DPS over the various DW and 2H frost builds.

Stopped in quick to install this monster patch and wow is it taking forever so far.

Chavelo

Got all my glyphs ready to use for today before I left to work, happen to be an agility-gemmed MM hunter, so almost no new regemming required...

And logged out on the 2nd floor of the hunter's trainer in SW...

Bring on the patch, Blizz!

Well, EJ's smashed :lol not too surprising I guess.

I'm probably switching to my dk tank as my cata main, and since he'd been blood since he started tanking I thought it really wouldn't be too different. I think I was pretty wrong in that assumption. From what I'm seeing, survivability should increase, but threat management, single target AND aoe, is going to be scary and nightmarish. With the removal of the bonus threat from icy touch and rune strike, we're going to be completely reliant on our crappy dps for threat generation. Add in the fact the we'll either be pulling with a very low damage ability (blood boil to proc scarlet fever) or an ability with absolutely no initial damage (outbreak to to put on frost fever and blood plague) it's likely going to be a difficult learning process.

If blizz will just put the bonus threat of icy touch on outbreak, I can make the rest of it work. Exciting nonetheless.

theinfinityissue said:
Well, EJ's smashed :lol not too surprising I guess.

I'm probably switching to my dk tank as my cata main, and since he'd been blood since he started tanking I thought it really wouldn't be too different. I think I was pretty wrong in that assumption. From what I'm seeing, survivability should increase, but threat management, single target AND aoe, is going to be scary and nightmarish. With the removal of the bonus threat from icy touch and rune strike, we're going to be completely reliant on our crappy dps for threat generation. Add in the fact the we'll either be pulling with a very low damage ability (blood boil to proc scarlet fever) or an ability with absolutely no initial damage (outbreak to to put on frost fever and blood plague) it's likely going to be a difficult learning process.

If blizz will just put the bonus threat of icy touch on outbreak, I can make the rest of it work. Exciting nonetheless.

It's not that bad. It's a little touchy in beta and that's without the rune strike proc change. If you're having single target threat issues initially, just pop DRW as soon as you can and make sure it's glyphed.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Bisnic said:

It's actually lower than it used to be because there's actually two types of Hot Streak now. Tier 3 Hot Streak is just a chance on crit, but Tier 4 Hot Streak is the same HS we always had.

The reason is, the game "assists" you when you have low crit; if you have 0 crit rating, your naked Crit rating is ~5 or 6% (there are very few modifiers to crit anymore other than glyphs and Critical Mass, which is just the equivalent of Imp. Scorch). T3 HS procs taper off as you get more rating; if you have 6% crit, virtually every crit you get will proc T3 hot streak. At 47% crit, T3 HS will never proc anymore.

The idea is, Fire will scale better because it no longer requires insane amounts of critical strike rating to work; but it also doesn't scale to retarded levels when you get high crit (in theory, you should never be able to attain 47% crit in Catalcysm)

notworksafe

explodet said:

Prot rotation is still pretty easy.

Use Avenger's Shield to pull
Judgement to start getting mana back (Judgements of the Wise is built into Prot w/o talents now)
Crusader Strike to start gaining Holy Power (and make sure its the first thing you hit ever CD)
Toss in a Holy Wrath for extra damage (it hurts everyone now, just only stuns undead/demons unless glyphed)
When you have 3 Holy Power, hit Shield of the Righteous.

That's it.

For AoE tanking you can switch HotR and Cons for CS/HW. You do get big diminishing returns on those spells after you start tanking more than three mobs, so remember that.

vilmer_

notworksafe said:
Prot rotation is still pretty easy.

Use Avenger's Shield to pull
Judgement to start getting mana back
Crusader Strike to start gaining Holy Power (and make sure its the first thing you hit ever CD)
Toss in a Holy Wrath for extra damage
When you have 3 Holy Power, hit Shield of the Righteous.

That's it.

For AoE tanking you can switch HotR and Cons for CS/HW. You do get big diminishing returns on those spells after you start tanking more than three mobs, so remember that.

Sweet! The first thing I'll be doing is practicing the new tanking system on my Pally.

notworksafe

Forgot to mention you'll want to keep using AS in your rotation as well for both single target and AoE. Prot gets a talent called Grand Crusader that has a 20% chance of resetting the CD on Avenger's Shield when we use HotR or CS.

droppedbear said:
Just as a heads up, Seals are no longer the big damage spells they were before. That's why I figured it'd be better to go with a Crit increase on our HP dump and Judgement. I can't say for sure that's the better call but it seems that way at the moment. I'll have to do some testing when the servers comes back up.

As far as Seals go, it looks like Ret may still have to seal swap (use Righteousness with the Cleave talent for trash and Truth for bosses), while Prot (Truth) and Holy (Insight) can just stick to one Seal.

Kintaco

I was just reading about Reforging on the wow homepage, I thought it was originally going to be done by BS, Tailors, LW. Maybe I misunderstood.

I can't wait to try the healing, this time if I suck I'll just blame it on getting use to the new mechanics. I came in too late to healing so people in random heroics expected uber healers.

notworksafe

Kintaco said:
I was just reading about Reforging on the wow homepage, I thought it was originally going to be done by BS, Tailors, LW. Maybe I misunderstood.
Originally it was, but they changed it to be done by an NPC for the cost of vendoring the item.

On the PTR I reforged myself down to 20% parry and 20% dodge and turned the extra into Mastery. It was truly glorious...but only because Prot Pala Mastery is so nice. Not every class/spec is so lucky.

Evlar

Banned
notworksafe said:
Originally it was, but they changed it to be done by an NPC for the cost of vendoring the item.

On the PTR I reforged myself down to 20% parry and 20% dodge and turned the extra into Mastery. It was truly glorious...but only because Prot Pala Mastery is so nice. Not every class/spec is so lucky.
I think all healing specs are going to want to do this to get as much of that Mastery mana regen as possible.

EDIT: NM, I don't know what I'm talking about.

Hixx

Evlar said:
I think all healing specs are going to want to do this to get as much of that Mastery mana regen as possible.

?

Meditation isn't a mastery. It's just an ability you get when spec into a healing tree. For example, holy Paladin's mastery is a shield that absorbs so much based on how big the last heal on that target was.

edit: fuuu edit

notworksafe

Evlar said:
Meditation is baked into each healing spec at a set rate. It isn't increased by Mastery. Mastery will only affect your Mastery spell.

Holy Paladins get a shield that blocks damage for a % of their heals.
Holy Priests get a HoT that heals for a % of their heals.
Disc Priests get a bonus to shield absorption.
Resto Shaman get a % bonus to direct heals based on HP of the target (heals more if the target has less HP).
Resto Druids get a % bonus on direct heals when they are used on a target that already has a HoT on it.

...bah edit. But now every healer knows their Mastery. :D

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Maintenance "extended."

It's actually Blizzard's own fault by this point. They're like a deadbeat dad that just makes lots of promises they can't keep. Nobody would really blame them if they said, "servers should be down all day." So why do they bother to always give a time they can't actually meet?

Angry Grimace said:
Maintenance "extended."

It's actually Blizzard's own fault by this point. They're like a deadbeat dad that just makes lots of promises they can't keep. Nobody would really blame them if they said, "servers should be down all day." So why do they bother to always give a time they can't actually meet?

Just like clockwork.

VAIL

Angry Grimace said:
Maintenance "extended."

You'd think they would just say down for 24 hours then shock us and bring up earlier, but naw :lol

I think they actually enjoy doing it this way...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom