• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Ret is fun from 10-19. You have 90% mana to heal people since dpsing costs next to nothing and you can and heal with holy power. I got a bunch of /bows. Guess I shouldn't get attached cause of the 80 nerf and overabundance.

Tacitus_

Angry Grimace said:
Blizzard's belief is that specs that benefit from pressing a button every GCD are a) too hard, b) not "reactive" enough (on what metric this is based, I don't know) and c) are too subject to latency requirements.

The reactive thing is about having so rigid rotation that you can't use any procs in it and/or switching targets midrotation will fuck up your DPS.

notworksafe

Angry Grimace said:
Blizzard's belief is that specs that benefit from pressing a button every GCD are a) too hard, b) not "reactive" enough (on what metric this is based, I don't know) and c) are too subject to latency requirements.
They took it a bit too far. Prot is nice because it has only a small amount of breathing room. With Ret, I just had a lot of long stretches where no damage spells were off CD and I didn't have 3 Holy Power so it wasn't worth using CS/DS.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
davepoobond said:
im very disappointed in what they did to hunters. it frustrates me.
Yeah, not feeling energy at all. The idea of spamming steady shot all the time is just...annoying. Like you have to keep this button and waiting for this bar just to do other things. Hunter used to be my favorite class but now it just feels like the process of just being able to cast spells is a struggle.

I did hop on my mage and was pretty blown away with how awesome fire is. Guess that helps decide which ranged DPS is going up.

Acidote

So hunters can't shoot 423432 different instant shots anymore? Good to know :trollface:

I'll see how my shaman and my DK do when I get home in seven hours :lol. Fortunately I bought glyphs in advance for them =)

notworksafe

With Wardobe not working yet, I tried out the built-in Equipment Manager. It's pretty damn good! I might stick with it. Only bummer is that I can't set only certain outfits to hide Helm.

My Prot set has the glorious T10 helm, while my Ret set uses the lame T9.

Flambe

Rough rough impressions after spending a shitwhack of time setting up all my characters and doing instances o.o

Mage:
Fire is fantastic, my gearscore is pretty shit on this guy but was easily pulling 5k dps (and aggro off the bear tank whoops, even after waiting before starting living bomb, etc heh)
Haven't tried frost yet as I was missing some glyphs, but was pulling half decent dps on a dummy, take that as it is

Pally:
Prot doesn't seem all too bad, granted this char is only 75 but his gear is decent. Still taking a lot more damage than before patch, but semi balanced out with the self-heal. Aoe tanking is a breeze so far (again not at 80 with that kind of dps) with hammer of the righteousness and unlimited mana basically through judgement.

Shaman:
Elemental was pretty darn fun to roll through a heroic with. I was Resto/Enh before patch and decided to give Ele a shot instead of Enh (in healing gear heh). DPS seemed alright, though boomkin was going to town so I couldn't ramp up dmg too much lol. This was another spec that seemed impossible to lose any kind of mana with.
Didn't try healing an instance yet with Sham

Priest:
Went holy instead of Disc, I liked the Chakra system that kept Renew up on the tank as long as I threw him a normal Heal. Wasn't very challenging instance though so will have to see more with some difficulty thrown in. Spamming Heal kept pretty much everything topped up, with the odd flash heal.
Need to test shadow still..

Killed mobs with my prot war which seemed alright, but I can see aoe tanking being a bit of a bitch. Victory heal is nice though, heals for a ton..

there's probably more but I need sleep!

LowParry

Between frost and fire mage, they may come close though more numbers need to be crunched. And as soon as they fix the glyph problem, mages are golden.

notworksafe

Gotta love how every class and spec has resource issues except for Prot Paladin. I seriously had infinite mana while tanking heroics. Never even had to use Divine Plea. :lol

JotW will get nerfed eventually, but I'll enjoy this while it lasts. Plus it saves me from having to use the Divine Plea glyph in a Major slot.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
What the hell. I installed wrath last night and did the update today. Now it wants to download 6.8GB? :lol

Maybe i need to install from original > tbc > wrath > patch?

There was a prot warrior in trade on the brink of having a nervous breakdown due to not being able to hold threat. Him and many others seem to think Rend is the new opening move for tanks. Bad fucking idea.

I tanked UP and CoS with no major threat problems; really the only annoying thing was being out of rage a few times.

The thing that really pisses me the fuck off is the graphical changes. Everything is set to low, and I can't change most of the graphics options because my graphics card doesn't support something or another. Why can't I play the game with the same graphical quality I've had for awhile instead of being bumped down to low? I had detailed shadows just yesterday, why the hell can't I have them now.

So after reading around.. this is what I gathered

Warlocks don't seem to sad about changes..

Shamans don't seem to sad about changes.. except resto shamans saying they suck now.. I hear Ele shamans are saying they are awesome due to mana regen

Warriors seem to not enjoy Prot spec since its hard to keep aggro on things or something

Pallys are hating hating hating the new Ret.. but loving the new holy to death. Prot seems mixed

Mages seem to be loving everything in life.. and I'm hearing Arcane mages are currently the most OP in the game.. pulling 20k arcane blasts easily and I'm also hearing Ice Lance is hitting for 10k

Hunters seem to be mad about BM being the only viable build as the others got terribly nerfed with the focus changes. Aspect of Fox may change that but they are mad that 1 Aspect at 83 can affect things.. Standing around for 1.5 secs is killing the other builds since 1.5s is a long time in PvP or just in a bunch of other situations for Steady shot to rebuild Focus

Rogues seems to be okay with most stuff for now

Death Knights are loving life

Priests are hating disc.. but the other builds seem to be ok

I leveled my Hunter to 19 in 2 days.. But I may be going to my Pally who is 65 and finishing him off since Holy appears to be awesome now.

notworksafe

PhoenixDark said:
There was a prot warrior in trade on the brink of having a nervous breakdown due to not being able to hold threat. Him and many others seem to think Rend is the new opening move for tanks. Bad fucking idea.
I wouldn't exactly use it as an opener but Rend+Blood and Thunder is the hot shit for AoE.

notworksafe said:
I wouldn't exactly use it as an opener but Rend+Blood and Thunder is the hot shit for AoE.

I didn't put points into it. Didn't notice it doing much for me in the beta, I'll wait and see what the consensus is on it now though. Might give it another shot depending on how ICC goes tomorrow lol

Anyone else with similar graphics issues btw?

Rokam

Got a nice fat 50k Arcane Blast crit while doing ToC 5 man. :lol Arcane is just ridiculous, and fire has zero mana problems I stayed at near full for most of the heroics. The only time I dropped below that was when I was building a path of fire with Flamestrike. I actually have got accustom to Ret (I'm only 72), the only thing I don't like is Zealotry requiring 3 Holy Power, that's just stupid.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
TurtleSnatcher said:
Warriors seem to not enjoy Prot spec since its hard to keep aggro on things or something
I found that while my AoE didn't pull down as much threat without constant cleave, my base attacks seemed to hold threat much better. Prot warriors came out for the better, but again, some people just don't know how to play and get confused when anything changes.

Acidote

Meh, I've been checking the shaman talents and I don't like the enh talents at all. Unless they've buffed things like frostband weapon I have to spend talent points on things I don't like a bit.

Elemental on the other hand looks really nice. I might end up changing to elem if I don't like the enh changes when I play it :(

C.Dark.DN

Banned
CcrooK said:
Alright. With a bunch of testing, I've come to my own conclusion that this is imo best for DK Blood Tanking.

http://wowtal.com/#k=Yf9JeYW1.a5o.deathknight.WPfNE

The one point in Blood Parasite could probably shift over into Blood-Caked Blade but I'm sure it'll come down to user preference.
You probably already looked:

Real close to what someone at EJ suggested http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#jcGr0sMrusdZ0h:R0ozakmM0

Someone else http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#jcGrcsrruszZMh:0oca0kMcm

Just to get a feel for the new changes, my guild went through ToC 25 on normal difficulty last night. On the first Icehowl knock-back i went through the wall and fell through the map. I didn't die though, I just sat there suspended. After combat ended they had to summon me lol.

I'm working the kinks out of being a demonology spec'd warlock. Kind of sucks that you pick up a mass of spirit and then blizz makes it useless. From everything that I've read, demo locks are supposed to switch out all of their intellect/spirit gems for haste, with the exception of any hit gems needed to remain at 17% hit-capped. It's a really bizarre feeling for a caster to get rid of spellpower. I went ahead and reforged all of my gear, even my Phylactery of the Nameless Lych trinket. Turned some of the crit into haste. I'm at work right now, but I look forward to getting used to a rotation and everything when I get off in a couple of hours.

Anyway, it just feels good to have some changes. I like it when expansions hit and everyone is trying to figure out their new stat priorites, specs, and spell rotations. Good times. I really hope they get the wowarmory working. I can't see my spec or stats at work! Serious business lol

lordmrw

I don't know how I feel about the changes to rogue so far. I'm combat specced currently, so in terms of rotation(heh) not much has changed. I only had enough time to do a random, and my dps was about the same as it was last week. I started off pretty terrible, but I'm attributing that to not having my abilities set up on my toolbar in an ideal manner. I'm liking that fan of knives is only 35 energy, and 30 second blade flurry is beyond awesome. Giving the 20 % speed boost to adrenaline rush seems kind of stupid in a way to me; it breaks the synery it had with killing spree. I solo'd 1 world boss just to see if it was possible now and yup, doable. I doubt I'll be able to solo a burning crusade heroic without at least a number pass but (I'm Praying) there's at least 1 before 4.0.3. Gonna try Subtlety after I buy my comics after work today.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I kinda like the Archangel talent from the Disc tree. I might just make a macro saying "Smite gives you wings!!" for the lulz. I still have a little trouble getting used to those slow casting, but low cost on mana, weak heals. I still rather use Flash Heal instead of Heal.

speedpop said:
You're honestly best off waiting until Cataclysm hits, or at the very least until the next big patch comes out within the month that will change the entire old world completely. Quests will be more streamlined, you'll most likely know where to head to level up higher etc. At the moment they've made leveling a ton easier via the talents system, but that doesn't really fix the old quests as yet. The good thing with that is that you don't have to buy the expansions to see all of that, it comes all standard with the normal game, you just won't be able to create expansion exclusive things like Blood Elves, Draenei, Goblins, Worgen, or Death Knights.

The thing is isn't Cataclysm mostly for high level players? I still need to raise a character up. Related to that are the past expansions key for even low level players.

Also what's in the next patch?

Hixx

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
The thing is isn't Cataclysm mostly for high level players? I still need to raise a character up. Related to that are the past expansions key for even low level players.

Next patch is the new 1-60 content. Should be out some time in November.

will52 said:
Also, Warlocks are so OP it's almost game breaking.
Is this PVE or PVP? I know a lot of mages are doing some crazy PVE damage, but locks to my knowledge aren't too far behind. However, searing pain is doing ridiculous damage and I can see how it would be OP for PVP purposes.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Cataclysm is a big expansion made for both high lvl AND low lvl players. They are indeed updating everything from lvl 1 to 60 to be as good as the rest of the game.

Also, is it just me or does the mobs in the heroics hits harder than before? We had a warrior with over 50k HP getting killed by pulling the 3 golems at once just before the Brann event in H HOS. He got killed in a matter of secs, i didnt even have time to reach him to throw a heal, and i was only a few secs late to be in range of heals since he was in a hurry for some reason while i was looting dead mobs.

Meier

New shot "rotation" for hunters makes no sense. :( Just an absolute crap shoot right now.. no pun intended. Did do an ICC 25 though last night but we just went through the first 4 bosses. Guess I might have to swap to BM for the time being if that is seemingly the spec for now.

My biggest complaint about the stat changes is that arpen off of certain weapons is really going to make for an even more competitive drop table.

Willectro

Banned
Deputy Moonman said:
Is this PVE or PVP? I know a lot of mages are doing some crazy PVE damage, but locks to my knowledge aren't too far behind. However, searing pain is doing ridiculous damage and I can see how it would be OP for PVP purposes.

Haven't done enough PVE to be 100% sure, but a I did a random dungeon last night and a lock in blues and greens did over 50% of the total damage. He was even surprised and claimed that demo was the way to go.

I main a rogue and even with CoS, dots still tear you apart.

Aesthet1c

I tanked a few heroics last night on my prot war and I didn't have any kind of threat issues. My dps does seem to be lower, and I go rage dry much more often, but I didn't have any major concerns. Also, rend + blood and thunder is amazing.

As far as mages go, what is the new hot spec for PVE raiding? I thought it was going to be fire, but after reading some of your posts maybe arcane is the better option?

Lumine

They ruined retribution? It wasn't actually that much fun to play until 3.0 hit 2 years ago. More interesting mechanics than just first come first serve is defenitly welcome, but everyone is calling it boring? Aww. :(

Oh well, I guess I was planning on levelling something new when cataclysm hits anyway.

Jrmint

Has anyone been able to get Grid working since the patch? There hasn't been an update on Curse for a 4.0 version, and loading out of date addons didn't help.

I play a resto druid main, and I'm really not sure how I'm going to do this without Grid. I heard Blizzard implemented their own raid frames similar to Grid, but I haven't seen them yet.

If anyone has gotten Grid to work please let me know, thanks.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Lumine said:
They ruined retribution? It wasn't actually that much fun to play until 3.0 hit 2 years ago. More interesting mechanics than just first come first serve is defenitly welcome, but everyone is calling it boring? Aww. :(

Oh well, I guess I was planning on levelling something new when cataclysm hits anyway.

I wouldn't put too much stock into initial knee jerk opinions of the patch.

- things are in flux and blizzard will probably be tinkering with variables for the rest of the year
- ret paladins have been sitting on top of the world for months as the #1 flavor of the month so any big change / nerf will cause a huge splash
- lets see how opinions change and evolve after we've all been given some time to sort through the new talents, glyphs, spells, etc
- the game is being balanced around 85 now, not 80. so ret pallys could start to shine at 85 for all we know.

edit: although to be honest you'd probably be better off leveling something besides a pally at this point as their are a shit ton of pallys walking around.

Flib

Skel said:
Has anyone been able to get Grid working since the patch? There hasn't been an update on Curse for a 4.0 version, and loading out of date addons didn't help.

I play a resto druid main, and I'm really not sure how I'm going to do this without Grid. I heard Blizzard implemented their own raid frames similar to Grid, but I haven't seen them yet.

If anyone has gotten Grid to work please let me know, thanks.

Turn on the blizzard raid frames in the unit menu and pair that with clique, or just grab vuhdo (because it's awesome).

Also, hunters, note that you are missing one of your main shots (Cobra Shot), which you get at 81. It's why your "rotations" are feeling like they're missing something.

I like the new model of aoe in tanking. Your main aoe abilities hit hard enough to keep enough threat on mobs that they will only get pulled off if one of your dps decides to focus on something besides your main target. And if they do that, it's easy to just quickly taunt them back. Or you can always just alt-tab and cycle the group.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
btw where do i turn on the new Power Auras / Spell Procs Alert stuff? i can't seem to find it or maybe warlocks just dont have any proc alerts?

Aesthet1c

Painraze said:
btw where do i turn on the new Power Auras / Spell Procs Alert stuff? i can't seem to find it or maybe warlocks just dont have any proc alerts?

Depends on your spec. Warlocks have one that goes off when soulfire becomes instant cast. Other than that though, I'm not sure they do.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
why did the mage get a warlock looking outfit? :lol

the pvp sets are decent.

but man... wow did warlocks get fucked this time around. i guess its fitting considering they've had the best looking sets for the past 2-3 years. :lol

Evlar

Banned
Spent all evening bashing out my Disc priest PVP spec, gear, and interface, and then testing him out on a few battlegrounds and Wintergrasp. Thoughts:

1) Grid is borked of course, so I reverted to the (improved) native Raid UI and... liked it! It isn't as flexible as Grid but I was able to get everything out of it I needed, with a little tweaking. I may stick with it for a while just to avoid patch-day madness of losing my most critical interface element for healing anything bigger than a five-man.

2) After being spooked by all the reports that healers had mana trouble I picked all of the Disc talents that reduce mana costs or return mana to the pool (Mental Agility, Archangel, Rapture, Power Infusion). I'm running in PVP Mooncloth gear, my total Spirit is 690 and Intellect is ~1980 unbuffed. I had NO ISSUES whatsoever with mana using more-or-less my regular casting schedule, i.e. heavy emphasis on shields, Penance, Prayer of Mending, Renew, and Flash Heal, mixed with dispels and offensive casting. I had one notable Warsong run in which myself and about five teammates held the horde side of the field for six or seven minutes. I cast perpetually and never dipped below about 70% of total mana. At the moment I would say I CAN'T run out of mana in PvP unless I was subject to one or two very determined opponents spamming mana drain. I noted the same on the other side, at least regarding well-geared priests: They were rarely low on mana, and even mana drain made little impact.

3) I'm more fragile in PVP, following changes to offensive abilities all around and to resilience specifically. I was very hard for rogues to kill one-on-one prior to the patch: I got properly ganked a couple times last night. I think my lifespan will undoubtedly be shorter. Whether this is a "problem" rather than simply an adjustment remains to be seen. Prior to the patch, a friend and I have been running guerrilla campaigns in certain battlegrounds (EoS, AB). His Prot Pally and my Disc Priest would charge into enemy control points and simply dare the enemy to kill us, and it typically took five or six of them to overwhelm the two of us: we could hold out for ages against an equal or slightly larger force. That's not going to be possible now, Disc can no longer "tank" PvP, or at least not to the same extent. I'm sad to see it go. On the other hand I'm sure all the hunters, rogues, death knights, and warriors who couldn't scratch our Prot-Disc tag-team are rejoicing.

4) I'm struggling to get used to some of the new talents and spells. So far, I love the idea of Archangel, and when I pull it off for 5 stacks of Evangelism I feel like a miniature deity. It's a fantastic extended reward for flipping to the offensive. For whatever reason I'm pumping out considerably more damage, too, without really trying. I failed to use Inner Focus successfully, though, and therefore never saw much advantage to Train of Thought. I always have to condition myself to actually use abilities on medium-term cooldowns; I plan on working on that tonight. At the moment, though, I don't feel that I need the extra efficiency. I tried casting Heal now and then, felt very very slow in a PvP environment, though that's in part due to my limited Haste.

5) On the topic of absorption spells and the Mastery stat. Disc Priest absorption spells become stronger with increases in the Mastery stat. I reforged all of my equipment to transfer a portion of Haste to Mastery, driving the stat up from the base 8.0 to about 11.5. This represents a total increase of 29% to Power Word Shield, Divine Aegis, and Power Word Barrier. I definitely noticed the difference in battlegrounds and I'm now trying to decide which other stat I can sacrifice to get Mastery higher... up to 18 or so, ideally. Given the mana situation I may reforge again and exchange Spirit for Mastery, reverting the Haste.

6) Finally, I looove Power Word Barrier. I've been skeptical whether the spell as designed was worth spending the talent point. After last night, I'm a believer. It's large enough that it can temporarily change the course of a battle, which feels right for a signature spell on a three-minute cooldown. Beyond the stats, it has a useful psychological impact on other players. I can use it to rally friendly players to an important skirmish, since people tend to run into the zone. It prompts enemies to burn crowd control (fear in particular) to attempt to drive people out of it. At the moment some ranged DPS aren't even trying to bash down the barrier and will concentrate instead on players standing outside it, giving healers ample opportunity to top people off. It's great.

explodet

I had massive connection issues (on patch day? whatupwithdat) and the only character I could get some time with was my demonology warlock. First I summoned my demons to see what their new names were. Turns out my felguard kept the same damn name, all the others changed. My succy's new name? Bronantia. Blech.

Then I tried out my new single target rotation on the target dummy, with a whole lot more fire spells thanks to the new Demo tree. And I NEVER ran out of mana, I didn't even drop past 90%. Damage was pretty decent, and occasional instant soulfires are awesome.

Oh, and the noobguard's bladestorm and axe throw are hilarity.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Like what? Indiana Jones inspired MMO greatly interests me!

I'm probably crazy... but the priest and rogue T11 seems like designs straight out of temple of doom. :lol I dunno why but that's the first thing I thought of when i looked at both of them.

explodet said:
I had massive connection issues (on patch day? whatupwithdat) and the only character I could get some time with was my demonology warlock. First I summoned my demons to see what their new names were. Turns out my felguard kept the same damn name, all the others changed. My succy's new name? Bronantia. Blech.

Then I tried out my new single target rotation on the target dummy, with a whole lot more fire spells thanks to the new Demo tree. And I NEVER ran out of mana, I didn't even drop past 90%. Damage was pretty decent, and occasional instant soulfires are awesome.

Oh, and the noobguard's bladestorm and axe throw are hilarity.

oh yeah... im loving bladestorm. :D :D

Kind of mixed feelings about ret today. Think I'll probably end up enjoying it as a few more things to keep my mind on should help the facerollers stand out as sucking more.
I think the majority of kneejerk reactions are from people who dislike change and enjoy not doing that much but will see how it goes. Am going to have to get back and used to rotation before I comment further.

New Tree of Life model.

druidtreeoflife.jpg

Flib

I will never get over how awful that Rogue set is. I mean, it would look respectably on Genie, but try sneaking up on someone when your shoulders have huge cartoon neon blue smoke wisps coming off of them.

And it doesn't even look threatening!

Oh, and check out the priest t11 shoulders on a male tauren.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom