• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hixx

Outdoor Miner said:
Is Hot Streak currently bugged? I played my mage last night for a little over an hour and got I think like 2 procs the whole time.

It's proccing an awful lot less. Thankfully the rest of the tree is fuck awesome, Impact is AMAZING. As soon as I realized it would spread living bomb... hnnnnnrggnhg.

Boof

I just bought parts from Newegg to build a computer to play Cataclysm. The new computer wont be just for WoW but it will be the primary game I will be playing. I'm looking forward to getting back into it after taking 2 years away from the game.

I am really looking forward to rolling either a goblin priest or a gnome priest. I just can't decide! Are they releasing the new race/class combos with 4.0.3 or are they waiting till Cataclysm comes out?

Aurarian

Just got out of a wonderful heroic pug group. I was pretty beat down from yesterday's groups cause I could barely hold anything. So, I went in and held aggro for about 95% of the time compared to last time. They actually gave me 2-3 seconds for initial aggro which helped immensely. Rage generation is still a little weird. Sometimes I'll come out of a fight completely drained or filled with rage. I still could not weave rend into my aoe rotation, I think I may move those points from BnT into cruelty or incite.

OH YEAH and wtf is up with warlocks lol? The warlock in our group had immense threat and it was definitely more noticeable when it was just single target. That coupled with the gcd latency crap didn't help me much.

Manus

Confused101 said:
I was hitting significantly less hard with the new demo spec. My best example would be the shadowbolt. It used to hit regularly for 5k non-crit. Now it hits for 3.5k. This has to be due to losing our SP bonus from Fel Armor and losing some SP boosting buffs that I would get from just having a demon out.

I used Hand of Gul'dan which wrecked some mobs outside of the instances but it didn't seem too effective against bosses. What else did we really get for demo? Soulburn for instant Soul Fire here and there? Like I said before, I might be missing something. I might be ignoring some mechanic that plays into our favor. I'll have to mess around some more.

I didn't get to mess around with affliction so much, but from the feedback on the forums, chain dot'ing and drain tanking are a thing of the past. Many afflictions locks were quite disappointed.

Oh, and one last note about the news armors revealed. Ahem, WHY DO MAGES GET A WARLOCK SET? That is all. :D

Don't forget we can also summon a Doomguard every ten minutes. I coulnd't tell how much damge the Doomguard was doing per second, but it was doing more than my pet. I may end up going Destro, haven't had enough time to play around with the changes yet.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Flib said:
Still have two more chances! just log in around 11:30 est over the next few days (they went up around 11:40 today) and refresh the page until it says they're up...then there will be a button which won't work. Just keep pushing it and you'll get a key eventually.
What's the url and how do I prepare? Need a login?

AFKevin

Neo Member
Being a Unholy DK is so great at the moment. Dark Transformation and the buff on summoning ghoul is just icing on the cake. Dmg is strong and definently a much needed assist now.

My Death Coil crits are almost double what they were from before. My gcd's are virtually nonexistant now with all the changes. Only been locked 2-3 times during the one Dungeon run from last night.

I need to learn threat management a bit better. I pulled threat off the Pally tank on more than one occasion and nearly died from it every time. Sucks, cause now i can never use DnD right now as i'm afraid of pulling all mobs at once and dying.

AFKevin said:
Being a Unholy DK is so great at the moment. Dark Transformation and the buff on summoning ghoul is just icing on the cake. Dmg is strong and definently a much needed assist now.

My Death Coil crits are almost double what they were from before. My gcd's are virtually nonexistant now with all the changes. Only been locked 2-3 times during the one Dungeon run from last night.

I need to learn threat management a bit better. I pulled threat off the Pally tank on more than one occasion and nearly died from it every time. Sucks, cause now i can never use DnD right now as i'm afraid of pulling all mobs at once and dying.
May I ask what your rotation is?

CassSept

I have barely played WoW over last ~2 months and don't really care at that point, but while the patch is still downloading I have a question.
Is it as bugged as 3.0.1 was on release date :lol ?

Naka

I'm stoked to hear people talk so highly about fire again as I've gotten bored of arcane. Sorry if it's already been posted but does someone have a link to a solid fire talent build?

Macattk15

Flib said:
Yep

And yes, you need an account, link is on the main page at http://www.eurogamer.net/

Seriously, I never can get through on these things and this was pretty easy (I mean, 4 people in this thread have got them between today and yesterday).

Gah I'm at work at that time and unable to access the website! FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
DeathNote said:
First, Is it worth getting a [Reforged Truesilver Champion] over [Bloodied Arcanite Reapered] for warrior PVP?

Second, I'm hearing bad things about fury. At 69, is it worth getting a second one of either for PVP and PVE?

And third, is it worth getting a [Battleworn Thrash Blade] over [Venerable Mass of McGowan] for prot PVP? Is Prot PVP from 1-80 even viable?
Remember that those weapons don't scale past 80 anyways. 2H weapons at 69+ is extremely easy; do the Last Rites quest in BT, then replace that in the Ampitheater quest.

Heirloom weapons are not very fun in my opinion. They actually kind of ruin the experience of getting upgrades and seeing your character evolve.

So back when I got the Collector's Edition WoW (original) it came with a special pet. A mini Diablo, a mini Zergling thing, and something else (I forgot...a Panda I think?). I just downloaded the 10 day free Lich King trial to see if I want to resub, and whichever pet that I chose for my existing characters are no where to be found. Am I missing something?

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
MisterAnderson said:
So back when I got the Collector's Edition WoW (original) it came with a special pet. A mini Diablo, a mini Zergling thing, and something else (I forgot...a Panda I think?). I just resubscribed and whichever pet that I chose for my existing characters are no where to be found. Am I missing something?

those items are now bind on account...

first thing: check your spell book and goto companions to see if they are there. pets, mounts and whatnot are considered abilities (after you use the item), not items anymore.

if its not there and you cant find the mini-diablo item, you can mail your character another one. you do this by starting a new character, pick the pet you want and then mail it to your main toon. do this 3 times and you have all 3 of the CE pets. :)

have fun with those CE pets too, barely anyone has them so they are great to show off in town. :D

notworksafe

MisterAnderson said:
So back when I got the Collector's Edition WoW (original) it came with a special pet. A mini Diablo, a mini Zergling thing, and something else (I forgot...a Panda I think?). I just downloaded the 10 day free Lich King trial to see if I want to resub, and whichever pet that I chose for my existing characters are no where to be found. Am I missing something?
Two things. First, check your spellbook for the pets under the Companions tab(I believe you get all of them now). If they aren't there, talk to any stable master. They hold onto pets that are bound to your account in case you lose them for any reason.

AFKevin

Neo Member
MagicJackBauer said:
May I ask what your rotation is?

It really hasn't changed much pre-patch for me, but currently I use the following:
IT > PS > Pest > SS > FeS > DC

From there i DC as much as possible to get Dark Transformation up as fast as possible. But i always SS over FeS as it tends to be a stronger hit for me. But i have limited time using so that could possible change in the future. Also dependant on when IT/PS is about to expire.

As far as spec, this is what i'm using: http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#johZZcucdfsodfo:sVk0sm0zc

Newb question: Do I have to buy all the Expansions or can I just pick and choose? Litch King seems like it has a lot more narrative content (big surprise that I'm looking forward to SWTOR) than Burning Crusade and I'd prefer that. I was able to remigrate an old account of mine (got it for free working at Gamestop) and thus don't have to worry about a classic WoW license.

Hixx

Flib said:
Luckily it's already installed and patched on my computer ;)

Fixed it but apparently installing the beta AFTER installing live 4.0.1 breaks the installer due to it trying to copy files. Sigh...

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
notworksafe said:
Two things. First, check your spellbook for the pets under the Companions tab(I believe you get all of them now). If they aren't there, talk to any stable master. They hold onto pets that are bound to your account in case you lose them for any reason.

what what what... since when? :eek:

gotta check that out for myself :lol

PatzCU

TurtleSnatcher said:
Consensus on Holy Paladins?

I hear they can output damage if they need too so in PvP it may be fun..

Then you just outlast with your heals..
Absolutely loving the holy pally changes. They gave us 3 new heals and 2 new methods to heal on the move. On top of that holy shock is now our new flash of light. Good healing and low mana cost.

We should be able to do dmg in pvp but you won't want to spec for it until 85 as you'll want the healing talents for now.

CcrooK said:
Well here are known issues so far:

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=27188060299&sid=1&pageNo=1

I'm hoping one of those fixes not listed is the DK Vamp Blood. Needs the health % added.

Edit: Oh yeah, that partical effect isn't showing (example: Pit of Saron run through the cave or Icks ground poisons)

You probably have the Vampiric Blood glyph equipped, which removes the health % added in exchange for a higher % healing. Check it out.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Newb question: Do I have to buy all the Expansions or can I just pick and choose? Litch King seems like it has a lot more narrative content (big surprise that I'm looking forward to SWTOR) than Burning Crusade and I'd prefer that. I was able to remigrate an old account of mine (got it for free working at Gamestop) and thus don't have to worry about a classic WoW license.

I hate to sound cliche but... if you actually read the quest text there is good bit of interesting stories to be found. Lich King (and cataclysm) buff up the presentation a few notches but it's all great lore if you are into the Warcraft series.

Painraze said:
those items are now bind on account...

first thing: check your spell book and goto companions to see if they are there. pets, mounts and whatnot are considered abilities (after you use the item), not items anymore.

if its not there and you cant find the mini-diablo item, you can mail your character another one. you do this by starting a new character, pick the pet you want and then mail it to your main toon. do this 3 times and you have all 3 of the CE pets. :)

have fun with those CE pets too, barely anyone has them so they are great to show off in town. :D

You no longer need to create new characters to get all 3 pets on a single character. Every new character automatically gets all 3 World of Warcraft Collector's Edition pets in the mail.

trupclow

So, I just had my first taste of this patch...and wow. I just came back to the game a couple weeks ago and have a 28 mage I'm playing on. I logged on during my lunch break today and found that I just dominated anything I attacked. At one point I had 4 same-level mobs on me and killed them all and had 75% mana and health left afterward. I feel invincible as a frost mage at this level right now. I never run out of mana and kill things insanely quick.

I'm interested to see how things are on my old 80 dk and lock.

Flib

The storytelling gets even better in Cataclysm with the use of terrain phasing and the fact that they can now take control of camera angles and have in-game cinematics. There is a lot more voice acting as well.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
PatzCU said:
Absolutely loving the holy pally changes. They gave us 3 new heals and 2 new methods to heal on the move. On top of that holy shock is now our new flash of light. Good healing and low mana cost.

We should be able to do dmg in pvp but you won't want to spec for it until 85 as you'll want the healing talents for now.
Just remember that your mana pool at 85 is less than double what you have now, but the mana cost is over triple what it is at 80.

Goblin and Worgen starting zones are really damn cool. Too bad they bug out when you finish the final quest. Hopefully it's fixed in tonight's patch.

notworksafe

Painraze said:
what what what... since when? :eek:

gotta check that out for myself :lol
Since the beginning of Wrath. I found it out by accident when I talked to a Stable Master while looking for another NPC.

notworksafe said:

Well they aren't in my spellbook and I went to a Stable Master in IF and he says "Greetings, paladin. I can assist you in recovering lost companions."

And there are no options aside from "Goodbye." so I'm confused as to how to recover my lost companions from this NPC...

Edit: Also is there still not an official way of quick swapping gear? I used some kind of program back in the day to hotkey switch my gear, and I'm still boggled that it wasn't in the game to begin with as it was in Diablo II. Any recommendations on up to date programs to help manage UI and such?

notworksafe

Hm. Usually there would be an option saying something like "Do you want me to recover X per".

I guess the best option at this point would just be to make a new character like stated before. That character will have all 3 pets and you can just mail them to your main character.

Gear swapping is in the game. In the upper right of your character screen (hit C in game) there's a button called Equipment Manager. When you hit that you have the option to save what you are wearing as an outfit. I believe you can save 10 different outfits. Just swap out the gear you want and hit save to create a new one. You can even take the little button it makes and put it on your bar so you can swap without having to reopen the Manager.

Angry Grimace

MisterAnderson said:
Well they aren't in my spellbook and I went to a Stable Master in IF and he says "Greetings, paladin. I can assist you in recovering lost companions."

And there are no options aside from "Goodbye." so I'm confused as to how to recover my lost companions from this NPC...

Edit: Also is there still not an official way of quick swapping gear? I used some kind of program back in the day to hotkey switch my gear, and I'm still boggled that it wasn't in the game to begin with as it was in Diablo II. Any recommendations on up to date programs to help manage UI and such?
The Equipment Manager was added in 3.2.2, I believe. It's already in game, you just have to set it up.

Aesthet1c

Does anyone know if there is an update for healbot? It seems completely borked in 4.0.1. If healbot is no longer supported, is there a good alternative?

Flib

HarryDemeanor said:
Goblin and Worgen starting zones are really damn cool. Too bad they bug out when you finish the final quest. Hopefully it's fixed in tonight's patch.

They don't, and there is a way around it (I've done this a few times).

Get to the point right before you turn in the last quest (i.e. when you get on the boat as a goblin, and the attack inside the cathedral as a worgen). Open your bags and delete your hearthstone. Go into the Help menu, click the "I'm Stuck" button and select the option to hearth to the nearest graveyard. As you're casting that, turn in the quest and it will bug out, but you'll be taken to a loading screen. Alt-F4 out of the beta, then log back in. You will be at the beginning of the next phase of the starting zones (goblins can completely finish, but the Battle for Gilneas at the end of the Worgen zone was bugged last time I tried to do it).

Unfortunately, you'll have to start over from the beginning if you've already turned in the last quest, but those 5 levels are fast.

Flib said:
They don't, and there is a way around it (I've done this a few times).

Get to the point right before you turn in the last quest (i.e. when you get on the boat as a goblin, and the attack inside the cathedral as a worgen). Open your bags and delete your hearthstone. Go into the Help menu, click the "I'm Stuck" button and select the option to hearth to the nearest graveyard. As you're casting that, turn in the quest and it will bug out, but you'll be taken to a loading screen. Alt-F4 out of the beta, then log back in. You will be at the beginning of the next phase of the starting zones (goblins can completely finish, but the Battle for Gilneas at the end of the Worgen zone was bugged last time I tried to do it).

Unfortunately, you'll have to start over from the beginning if you've already turned in the last quest, but those 5 levels are fast.

Ah alright. Guess I gotta start over then. Thanks for the tip.

Angry Grimace

Outdoor Miner said:
Is Hot Streak currently bugged? I played my mage last night for a little over an hour and got I think like 2 procs the whole time.
It works fine for me. I don't know how the guy after you claimed it was "proccing less." It has a fixed proc condition (it actually has another one, but that wouldn't lower your proc rate). Unless you go to the dummy and cast nothing but fireball and get 2 crits in a row without it, it can't "proc less.

The one reason which I can understand in which you might notice it proccing less though is because no part of Living Bomb can proc Hot Streak anymore, you used to get an almost automatic proc on the "Bomb" part, but it doesn't apply to HS.

If you read back, there's actually 2 different proc conditions; a chance on crit, which scales downwards the more crit you have, and the consecutive crit conditions.
HixxSAFC said:
It's proccing an awful lot less. Thankfully the rest of the tree is fuck awesome, Impact is AMAZING. As soon as I realized it would spread living bomb... hnnnnnrggnhg.
I just have to wonder how HS is really going to scale.

At your current rate of crit, you probably almost never see an actual T3 HS proc because T3 HS gets suppressed when your personal crit percentage gets really high, but crit ratings won't be at 40% in Cataclsym.

Flib

Aesthet1c said:
Does anyone know if there is an update for healbot? It seems completely borked in 4.0.1. If healbot is no longer supported, is there a good alternative?

Healbot sucks, use VuhDo.

Flib

HarryDemeanor said:
Ah alright. Guess I gotta start over then. Thanks for the tip.

You should, they get way better and really cool. I thought I would enjoy the Worgen one more, but I loved the Goblin one the best. The Lost Isles (the next area) is OMGWTF gorgeous, and the story is really enjoyable.

There's a part near the beginning where you see Thrall unleash his elemental powers...it's awesome.

notworksafe said:
Nope. You'll need the content in Burning Crusade to get to Wrath level.

Balls. Guess I better start grinding like a motherfucker! :lol

Painraze said:
I hate to sound cliche but... if you actually read the quest text there is good bit of interesting stories to be found. Lich King (and cataclysm) buff up the presentation a few notches but it's all great lore if you are into the Warcraft series.

I'm just going on what I recalled from a couple of reviews. GT's especially built up that it had a lot better questing (in relation to story). I do agree that the quest text in general is pretty damn good (as is LOTRO).

I think it's just that I'm stuck on initial shit quests and I've never really broken through that.
Flib said:
The storytelling gets even better in Cataclysm with the use of terrain phasing and the fact that they can now take control of camera angles and have in-game cinematics. There is a lot more voice acting as well.

Sweet. I think stuff like that would help with events like Operation Gnoma..(that one, which I saw on Youtube). The text leading up to it was great, but the presentation was a bit lacking.

Flib

Aesthet1c said:
I haven't heard of VuhDo before.. is it pretty nice? Does it allow click casting as well?

Yes to both, and it's really easy to configure and comes set up decently right out of the box. It has all the features you need (incoming damage / heals tracking, if other raid members are using vuhdo you can see their incoming expected heals etc.).

Other people in this thread will vouch for how great it is.

Here is an old article about it: http://wow.joystiq.com/2010/01/30/addon-spotlight-vuhdo/ , and yes it's working for 4.01.

notworksafe

I only play Prot/Ret but the Holy Pally in my guild seems to be really enjoying herself. I can ask for more details tonight, but I bet someone will have responded by then.

EDIT: For people setting up VuhDo for the first time, this Wiki is really excellent for getting it up and running the way you want. http://vuhdo.ithato.com/tiki-index.php I found the addon to be cool, but really backwards in terms of ease to set up.

Atomski

My friend who plays a pally was pretty excited for the patch. He logged on today and speced and we ran an instance. He told me he was quiting right after.

Seems like this patch really rubbed some people the wrong way.

Atomski said:
My friend who plays a pally was pretty excited for the patch. He logged on today and speced and we ran an instance. He told me he was quiting right after.

Seems like this patch really rubbed some people the wrong way.
Ive been hearing Ret got hit.. so thats why I was curious about Holy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom