• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few characters that I'd like to have my Collector's edition pets "tied" to. Can I keep creating characters and receiving the 3 pets to mail over and over again? Or is it a one time deal?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
Remember that those weapons don't scale past 80 anyways. 2H weapons at 69+ is extremely easy; do the Last Rites quest in BT, then replace that in the Ampitheater quest.

Heirloom weapons are not very fun in my opinion. They actually kind of ruin the experience of getting upgrades and seeing your character evolve.
Looking at the same model does suck, but I want to do a lot of pvp while leveling slowly. With that route, there will be a huge gap between 69 and 75, and a heirloom will be better than anything 69-80. Gonna need the best weapon in the lower end of the 70-79 bracket. I can also use instance and quest rewards for a level when the stats are similar.

notworksafe

MisterAnderson said:
I have a few characters that I'd like to have my Collector's edition pets "tied" to. Can I keep creating characters and receiving the 3 pets to mail over and over again? Or is it a one time deal?
They will be in the mail of every character you create from now until the end of time.

Atomski

Yeah it was ret.. I keep tellin him it will get balanced out.

He argued that every expansion the dps has got better and the game has got easier and yet this patch has done the exact opposite.

Is there any east coast based gaf guilds?

Aesthet1c

Flib said:
Yes to both, and it's really easy to configure and comes set up decently right out of the box. It has all the features you need (incoming damage / heals tracking, if other raid members are using vuhdo you can see their incoming expected heals etc.).

Other people in this thread will vouch for how great it is.

Here is an old article about it: http://wow.joystiq.com/2010/01/30/addon-spotlight-vuhdo/ , and yes it's working for 4.01.

Awesome thanks for the help Flib, my guildmates will be excited to hear about this one.

notworksafe

Atomski said:
Yeah it was ret.. I keep tellin him it will get balanced out.

He argued that every expansion the dps has got better and the game has got easier and yet this patch has done the exact opposite.

Is there any east coast based gaf guilds?
HA! I knew he'd be Ret. No offense to your friend, but Ret Pallies are such huge babies when it comes to difficulty.

As far as guilds, I'm in one that is on an EST serverr (Area 52). It's not exactly a GAF guild, but we have some GAF members. PM me if you want more info. Also might be worth checking the OP to see if any GAFfers are on your server.

notworksafe

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
I'm not really planning to lay down cash for one of these, but has anyone ever tried Zygor's Leveling guide? http://www.zygorguides.com/
I have to admit the layout and functionality are really damn cool! Is there freeware versions of programs like this that also work in game?
Don't pay for this garbage. Wow-pro.com has an addon that is just as good (a bit better in some ways, imo) and doesn't cost anything.

http://wow-pro.com/wowpro_addon

Fun fact: WoW-Pro used to use a different framework for their addon (TourGuide) but Zygor bought the TourGuide guy out so they had to go out and make their own addon.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Atomski said:
My friend who plays a pally was pretty excited for the patch. He logged on today and speced and we ran an instance. He told me he was quiting right after.

Seems like this patch really rubbed some people the wrong way.
Well they were hit pretty hard with the boring bat. The question about Ret wasn't whether it was fun (it was), it was whether it was too easy. It's not actually any harder to do now, it's just more boring because you have a ton of gaps in which you auto-attack.

Auto-attacking in general sucks and I'd be happy if you didn't auto-attack at all.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I'm not really planning to lay down cash for one of these, but has anyone ever tried Zygor's Leveling guide? http://www.zygorguides.com/
I have to admit the layout and functionality are really damn cool! Is there freeware versions of programs like this that also work in game?
There a free addon and a official blizzard UI that does the same thing mang.

notworksafe said:
Don't pay for this garbage. Wow-pro.com has an addon that is just as good (a bit better in some ways, imo) and doesn't cost anything.

Fun fact: WoW-Pro used to use a different framework for their addon (TourGuide) but Zygor bought the TourGuide guy out so they had to go out and make their own addon.

Wow (no pun intended) that looks pretty damn sweet! Thank! It's just the Zygors one had a really nice ad for it.:lol

EDIT: How do I install it and TomTom?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
notworksafe said:

Better than questhelper?

Kintaco

DeathNote said:
Better than questhelper?
It was far better. Questhelper just points to the quest, this addon know which quests are coming up and lumps them together with quests you may already have in order to reduce the back and forth travel. So it tells you which quest to do first, second and so forth rather than just putting the closest one on top of the list.

notworksafe

DeathNote said:
Better than questhelper?
Yes, imo. It has nice little touches like being able to track many quests at once and being able to keep "do as you go" quests (collect 10 furs over this huge area while you do other quests) above all others. The pathing it uses is very intelligent as well.

Plus it's very customizable as far as text, colors, size, etc.

What's questhelper?
Another addon of a similar type. It isn't very intellegent, though. Just has you doing whatever the next closest quest is. WoW-Pro is better about having you do related quests and has a better ordering system.

It helps that each guide is actually worked out an mapped by a person, not an automated system.

Flib

No reason not to use the official Blizzard one...Cataclysm has such a better quest flow anyway, so these won't be needed.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Questhelper was a serious resource hog, but I found it far better than the official one, which fails to tell you the actual range of mobs and items in competitive areas.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Flib said:
No reason not to use the official Blizzard one...Cataclysm has such a better quest flow anyway, so these won't be needed.
Well, the map shrinking bugs me.

The arrow in quest helper is nice, but it was buggy the last time I used it. I think there's an arrow in the minimap?

Rapstah

Liking the patch ridicolous amounts. I did a DPS test on the boss-level dummy of Ironforge with the most I could press out of my rotation yesterday, and reached 4900 DPS after a long while. I re-forge some of my spirit to Mastery, re-learn talents, buy new glyphs - today I'm doing 7200.

Flib

DeathNote said:
Well, the map shrinking bugs me.

The arrow in quest helper is nice, but it was buggy the last time I used it. I think there's an arrow in the minimap?

Well now in the Blizzard official one, it shows you where to go on the minimap, and if there's a specific named mob you have to kill, it shows up as a skull on your minimap. If it's dead and hasn't respawned, it doesn't show up.

JesseZao

I preferred Carbonite for the mini-map feature personally. It was a horrible memory hog as well though.

If I resub, I'll probably just go with the default for my first run through Cata.

Flib

How do I install Wow-Pro and TomTom? As much as I enjoy screwing with Time Warner Cable by redownloading large clients, I really rather get it right the first time. :D

You just put their folders in your wow/interface/addons folder. If you don't want to use them, you can either take them out of that folder or disable them on the character select menu. No need to redownload large clients.

Alternatively, you can use the Curse client, which is a program that installs and updates them for you.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Wow-Pro only works when you start a zone for the first time or something? I log in and try to get it to track random assortment of quests...

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I got it working with an alt, but it doesn't show anything on the map? Is it supposed to be used in combination with blizzard UI?

Edit: Lemme install tomtom lol

Atomski

notworksafe said:
HA! I knew he'd be Ret. No offense to your friend, but Ret Pallies are such huge babies when it comes to difficulty.

As far as guilds, I'm in one that is on an EST serverr (Area 52). It's not exactly a GAF guild, but we have some GAF members. PM me if you want more info. Also might be worth checking the OP to see if any GAFfers are on your server.

Hes played Holy for most of this wotlk and got bored of it just about a month ago. Think they may be why hes so upset about it now.

ronny_1

Neo Member
Im being a mess with my lock, I guess if you guys can help me with advice on how i can make the rotation:

First off all im going with this tree:

http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#I0oZcZIrrcRbsMdo

Well at this point I try the next sequence

Bane of doom, immolate, chaos bolt, confgrate, incinerate, and refresh immolate, doom, and when the free soulfire jumps throw it, with this i can make in dummy about 6500dps, with 2600-2700sp and 32%crit

I can make near a infinite loop of casting if i spam Soulfire when the 12sec haste jumps, 1500 mana each crit.(soulleech) and crit. a lot but dps fall down a bit. (long cast)

So how do you go with? im not feeling at all with the new stuff :lol

Rapstah said:
Liking the patch ridicolous amounts. I did a DPS test on the boss-level dummy of Ironforge with the most I could press out of my rotation yesterday, and reached 4900 DPS after a long while. I re-forge some of my spirit to Mastery, re-learn talents, buy new glyphs - today I'm doing 7200.
What what what??!!

You can reforge spirit to mastery? This may be my missing link! Trying this tonight.

notworksafe

Atomski said:
Hes played Holy for most of this wotlk and got bored of it just about a month ago. Think they may be why hes so upset about it now.
Well Prot is really fantastic right now, so you can tell him that. Ret just takes some getting used to, though. It used to be "spam whatever move is off cooldown", now its "spam the move that is off cooldown and best for this situation in regards to number of mobs and number of holy power".

Confused101 said:
What what what??!!

You can reforge spirit to mastery? This may be my missing link! Trying this tonight.
Any secondary stat (hit, expertise, master, haste, crit, spirit) can be reforged to any other secondary stat, as long as that second stat isn't already on the item.

Like if I have a piece of gear that has hit, expertise, and crit on it. I can reforge the hit to mastery, haste, or spirit. I can't reforge it to expertise or crit, because they are already on the item.

J-Rzez

AFKevin said:
It really hasn't changed much pre-patch for me, but currently I use the following:
IT > PS > Pest > SS > FeS > DC

From there i DC as much as possible to get Dark Transformation up as fast as possible. But i always SS over FeS as it tends to be a stronger hit for me. But i have limited time using so that could possible change in the future. Also dependant on when IT/PS is about to expire.

As far as spec, this is what i'm using: http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#johZZcucdfsodfo:sVk0sm0zc

That's my current spec/glyphs as well. Unholy is probably the most fun I've had in PVE ever in WoW now.

My DC's were hitting for around 14.5k. Scourge Strike with combined damages around 15.5k. And Festering strikes around 19k. So yeah, ScS spam is back.

I nearly pissed myself when on Saurfang we Lusted, then I Unholy Frenzied, haste potted, procs, DT'd, and Gargoyled in the first 5 secs of lust... It was unreal between all the Haste, Unholy's GCDs, procs... Damage was incredible, and so damn fast. lol.

Rokam

Any Mages having problems with Mirror Image attacking critters? :/ Starting to piss me off. They'll go out of their way to run off and kill one as soon as I enter combat.

notworksafe said:
Any secondary stat (hit, expertise, master, haste, crit, spirit) can be reforged to any other secondary stat, as long as that second stat isn't already on the item.

Like if I have a piece of gear that has hit, expertise, and crit on it. I can reforge the hit to mastery, haste, or spirit. I can't reforge it to expertise or crit, because they are already on the item.
For some stupid reason I didn't realize spirit was considered a secondary stat. Great news! I'm gonna be all over that.

Atomski

notworksafe said:
Well Prot is really fantastic right now, so you can tell him that. Ret just takes some getting used to, though. It used to be "spam whatever move is off cooldown", now its "spam the move that is off cooldown and best for this situation in regards to number of mobs and number of holy power".

Well prot wouldnt work cause I play a prot warrior and I hate fury dps (although I havent tried it after the patch). :p\

Although I am half tempted to play my hunter now.

notworksafe

DeathNote said:
So... tomtom and tour guide aren't quest helper and blizzard world map UI rivals?
TourGuide is an old ass addon that hasn't worked for months. WoW-Pro is it's own addon now. Are they rivals? I suppose so. I just recommend waiting for them to be updated to the current patch.

Okay basic strategy question. Now I know this is going to seem laughably stupid, but I always when first starting get to an investigate a mine quest (in this case Fargod(?)) near Goldshire. Now I never have problems with the quests earlier, but every time I try I keep getting killed (at least being below level ten there is no penalty for resurrecting without a body). Is this a sign that I just need to grind till level 7 (the Kobold's are level 6 I think)? Part of the problem comes from following story/quest progression like most SP RPG games (unlike FF where I have to grind like a bitch) where you can follow the quests and not expect to be butchered unless you are certain level.

Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate you all taking the time to answer these really basic questions.

notworksafe

It may be that you aren't high enough. I know that quest has a lot of fights with many mobs at once, so it could be that. Keep any healing potions on your action bar or use your heals. What class are you playing?

See, these are the problems I have with the old world as it is now. Dumb quests that require grinding to complete properly. Can't wait til the whole thing is nuked and replaced with proper quests.

J-Rzez

keeblerdrow said:
I'm still convinced clients like the Curse Client get people hacked.

I don't doubt this. I also don't doubt places like MMO-Champ neither. As after I signed up there to support them for their hardwork, said email address, different than my gaming account got flooded with Phishing Spam mail. Hell, I wouldn't doubt Blizzard's data bases get hacked for info as well, or they have employees selling account info even. The amount of hacking is insane, plus some people are really well protected and get hacked even.

Rapstah

My, did this patch change what classes do what and what classes do what DPS. Cyanigosa fight in Violet Hold: top of the DPS meters are me and the mage doing approx 8000 DPS each, third is the Priest healer doing 2800 and slacking behind are the Warrior tank and Paladin DPS doing 1500. :lol Love it!

notworksafe said:
It may be that you aren't high enough. I know that quest has a lot of fights with many mobs at once, so it could be that. Keep any healing potions on your action bar or use your heals. What class are you playing?
It could be that. It might also help to have some healing potions too in the first place. Guess it's buy potions and kill random low level stuff. The worst thing is for some of the fetch quests you have no clue if insta kill stuff is in the area.

notworksafe said:
See, these are the problems I have with the old world as it is now. Dumb quests that require grinding to complete properly. Can't wait til the whole thing is nuked and replaced with proper quests.
How exactly are they planning on fixing this? I think it's my biggest impediment to getting more into the game. I mean I want to play, but I just can't sink in (or stand) killing some lower level stuff to grind for an hour or two just so I can do a question. I understand if it's hey you're level 2 you can't go and piledrive orcs in the air like you're Mike Haggar, but kill low level Kobolds, does work, but it's tedious and not that fun.

I keep feeling like their is a barrier that takes a crap load of time to break through, but when I do I'll enjoy the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom