• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evlar

Banned
Have you played MMOs before, or MMO-style games? I know the quest you're talking about- it was actually the first place my most recent alt died, always a notable event. From what I can remember it's the first time the aggro mechanics really come into play. The creatures will flee (meaning they'll run off to get friends when their health is low) and they're densely packed.

Every creature has an aggro range, for the most part extending in front of them by a certain number of yards, and a smaller space behind them. This aggro range is very large when a creature is much higher than you and gradually gets smaller until it's practically nothing when you're much higher than the creature.

I know this is very basic stuff, and I'm not trying to insult you. Just keep in mind that you need to avoid fighting too many creatures at once, and therefore must be mindful of how you approach. If you can't kill five or six at a time, take on one or two. If you have a caster attacking you and it's dangerous to run up to him, back up instead... he'll eventually follow you. And so forth.

Flib

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
It could be that. It might also help to have some healing potions too in the first place. Guess it's buy potions and kill random low level stuff. The worst thing is for some of the fetch quests you have no clue if insta kill stuff is in the area.

How exactly are they planning on fixing this? I think it's my biggest impediment to getting more into the game. I mean I want to play, but I just can't sink in (or stand) killing some lower level stuff to grind for an hour or two just so I can do a question. I understand if it's hey you're level 2 you can't go and piledrive orcs in the air like you're Mike Haggar, but kill low level Kobolds, does work, but it's tedious and not that fun.

I keep feeling like their is a barrier that takes a crap load of time to break through, but when I do I'll enjoy the game.

What class are you playing as?

They've changed mob density, made all the quests in zones actually interesting storylines, and made it so you don't have to run back and forth across the zone or across the world. There is a flow to the leveling, so it takes you to different areas with minimal downtime...they even put you on vehicles to move you around the low level zones quickly.

Boof

What do you guys think is the absolute "worst/cheapest" graphics card you could get and still play at Ultra settings?

Rapstah

Flib said:

They've changed mob density, made all the quests in zones actually interesting storylines, and made it so you don't have to run back and forth across the zone or across the world. There is a flow to the leveling, so it takes you to different areas with minimal downtime...they even put you on vehicles to move you around the low level zones quickly.
That's the next patch.

notworksafe

How exactly are they planning on fixing this? I think it's my biggest impediment to getting more into the game. I mean I want to play, but I just can't sink in (or stand) killing some lower level stuff to grind for an hour or two just so I can do a question. I understand if it's hey you're level 2 you can't go and piledrive orcs in the air like you're Mike Haggar, but kill low level Kobolds, does work, but it's tedious and not that fun.

I keep feeling like their is a barrier that takes a crap load of time to break through, but when I do I'll enjoy the game.
Well they are redesigning the quests and the zones to be more in the style of the new expansion. Putting you in vehicles, changing up questing to keep things fresh. Quests that are tuned to be fun, and not require grinding. More story integration. XP amounts tuned so that you don't end up in a spot where you are now. Killing 5 mobs for a quest will actually give you the proper XP to continue with the next quest...not require you to grind to get to a proper level.

Been reforging dodge for mastery and expertise. I was expertise capped before the patch but it wound up being dropped to 16 for some reason; I'm back to 26 now after reforging.

I'm very interested in seeing how Hold The Line plays out
http://db.mmo-champion.com/s/84621/

Should make parry more desirable, so I'm not going to reforge any of it.

On the threat side of things I did VoA10 today. On Toravon I opened with my Charge/Heroic Throw/Shield Block macro, did Shield Slam, and started Devastating as I pulled the boss to the back wall. Within seconds I saw my threat being overrun by a Fury warrior; quickly taunted. Then I noticed the mage (didn't check what spec) blasting up the threat meter as well. I didn't lose threat but it was definitely not fun seeing my threat lower than it was pre-patch. I only use Heroic Strike when I have a shit ton of threat.

speaking of which...I'm also noticing very weird threat starvation moments at the beginning of pulls in heroics.

Swag

PhoenixDark said:
On the threat side of things I did VoA10 today. On Toravon I opened with my Charge/Heroic Throw/Shield Block macro, did Shield Slam, and started Devastating as I pulled the boss to the back wall. Within seconds I saw my threat being overrun by a Fury warrior; quickly taunted. Then I noticed the mage (didn't check what spec) blasting up the threat meter as well. I didn't lose threat but it was definitely not fun seeing my threat lower than it was pre-patch. I only use Heroic Strike when I have a shit ton of threat.

Thanks for the impressions, will be staying far away from my Prot Warrior till Cata.

Would you say the threat problem is from a lack of tools or just not gaining enough threat from your rotation.

what.. wow now natively supports multi monitors?

has anyone tried this?

imagine how good the UI could be if you had dual 2560x1440 displays! that would be perfect.

Flib said:
Character by character...though that may change eventually.

That...makes no sense. Especially for people like me who have done all the lower level things with their character already. I'd have to redo all that stuff with a character that already did it, as opposed to just redoing it with a new character and it "counting" for all my higher level characters. Oh well. Hopefully that's changed.

Swag

MisterAnderson said:
Are WoW achievements tied to your account or on a character by character basis?

I remember GC mentioning that they were attempting to make it account based for some of the bigger ones ( Server first etc ) but it they were having some technical problems with implementation.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Flib said:
Character by character...though that may change eventually.

Yeah I hope that changes soon... I have PvP and PvE characters that will never share some achievements and it would be nice if they just consolidated all your characters achievements into one WoW score, eliminating any repeats.

Alex

The new tips are cracking me up. "Don't stand in the fire" "Click on the Lightwell!". :lol There's a bunch of forum jokes and shit.

It's sad what lengths you have to go to get DPS to not do stupid shit some times though. I've seen poor Holy Priests in the beta with macros basically begging people to click the Lightwell and some people still don't do it. Those are the people who get no heals and die.

Swag

Alex said:
The new tips are cracking me up. "Don't stand in the fire" "Click on the Lightwell!". :lol

It's sad what lengths you have to go to get DPS to not do stupid shit some times. I've seen poor Holy Priests in the beta with a macro that tells people to click the Lightwell or die.

Did Lightwell change or something? That spell has always been shit to me, stopping DPS to go click on the lightwell :lol

Moving a boss to click on Lightwell :lol

notworksafe

I love it when the priest casts Lolwell right next to where I'll be tanking the boss. No need to move, just click it and get a free HoT. Works well for the melee DPS as well.

Alex

40 yard range, doesn't drop target anymore.

There's no real choice in the matter either way for Cata though. Lightwell provides a ginormous amount of healing in an environment where keeping people topped off is literally impossible, if people want to not click it, they can enjoy their tasty pavement!

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
BTW if you hate the new Tree of Life model, ghost crawler just said this:

Art is very subjective. We're very used to the phenomenon of half of a class loving say their tier set art and the other half thinking they are the worst thing ever.

Messing with player models is always risky and we know the current Tree of Life model is one of those things that is either loved or hated. That is why, as promised, we are offering a minor glyph if you just prefer the older, treant-based, version of ToL.

Personally I like the new model but I can see why people hate it.

Evlar said:
I know this is very basic stuff, and I'm not trying to insult you. Just keep in mind that you need to avoid fighting too many creatures at once, and therefore must be mindful of how you approach. If you can't kill five or six at a time, take on one or two. If you have a caster attacking you and it's dangerous to run up to him, back up instead... he'll eventually follow you. And so forth.

No, it's not insulting. Besides a little LOTRO and WoW, I've played very little MMO's.
Flib said:
Human Warrior.

notworksafe said:
Well they are redesigning the quests and the zones to be more in the style of the new expansion. Putting you in vehicles, changing up questing to keep things fresh. Quests that are tuned to be fun, and not require grinding. More story integration. XP amounts tuned so that you don't end up in a spot where you are now. Killing 5 mobs for a quest will actually give you the proper XP to continue with the next quest...not require you to grind to get to a proper level.
That's good to hear. Shame I'll have to have all the other expansions before I can buy Cata, unless I was wrong with something I read.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
notworksafe said:
TourGuide is an old ass addon that hasn't worked for months. WoW-Pro is it's own addon now. Are they rivals? I suppose so. I just recommend waiting for them to be updated to the current patch.
I was being dumb. Trying to figure out the pros and cons while not testing. I also meant to say wow-pro guide over tourguide.

This is what I gather..

-Blizzard Ui: Pinpoints locations for quests on shrunken world map, shows arrow in mini-map for tracked quest, shows informaiton when you click a mob like letting you know if you need to kill X amount. Let's you decide where you want to go first. Info on world map.

-Wow-pro guide + tomtom: Uses Blizz's world map UI. Has a set route. If you wonder off the path and a different quest is right under you, it'll tell you to run back where it wants you to go first. Each step, you manually tell it to set a world map pinpoint marker. An arrow directs you to it saying the yards and time it'll take to get there based on movement speed. Has some description.

-Questhelper(dead and confrimed to not return): Did it's own world map modification without shrinking it. Arrow pointed you to the current closest objective.

My ideal setup would be... Blizz's version without shrinking the map and adding stuff around it. I can hover over the numbers and see the same info.

Alex

No, it's not insulting. Besides a little LOTRO and WoW, I've played very little MMO's.

Human Warrior.

That's good to hear. Shame I'll have to have all the other expansions before I can buy Cata, unless I was wrong with something I read.

The benefits the actual box for Cataclysm provides is Goblins, Worgens, Archeology, 81-85 zones and end game content.

You could just have vanilla WoW by itself and get the benefit of the new world and all it's redesigned fare for 1-60.

You need BC for Outlands and general 61-70 content and Wrath for Northrend at 71-80 content.

notworksafe

DeathNote said:
I was being dumb. Trying to figure out the pros and cons while not testing. I also meant to say wow-pro guide over tourguide.

This is what I gather..

-Blizzard Ui: Pinpoints locations for quests on shrunken world map, shows arrow in mini-map for tracked quest, shows informaiton when you click a mob like letting you know if you need to kill X amount. Let's you decide where you want to go first.

-Wow-pro guide + tomtom: Uses Blizz's world map UI. Has a set route. If you wonder off the path and a different quest is right under you, it'll tell you to run back where it wants you to go first. Each step, you manually tell it to set a world map pinpoint marker. An arrow directs you to it saying the yards and time it'll take to get there based on movement speed. Has some description.

-Questhelper(dead and confrimed to not return): Did it's own world map modification without shrinking it. Arrow pointed you to the current closest objective.

My ideal setup would be... Blizz's version without shrinking the map and adding stuff around it. I can hover over the numbers and see the same info.
Sounds about right to me.

However until yesterday, WoW-Pro worked in more of a QuestHelper style. It marked objectives on its own and the TomTom arrow would point you around. Something about the new patch broke this functionality, but I imagine it'll be back.

Sebulon3k said:
Thanks for the impressions, will be staying far away from my Prot Warrior till Cata.

Would you say the threat problem is from a lack of tools or just not gaining enough threat from your rotation.

Seems to be rotation related and due to the GCD changes. Pre-patch obviously you could spam HS while using your rotation at the same time. Taking HS spam completely out of the picture naturally is going to result in less threat. While Blizzard has said they want tanks to "work" for threat it feels like I'm pushing a lot of buttons and still seeing dps come quite close/above my threat output on single targets, which is ridiculous.

Prot warrior rotations are more based on priority. Shield Slam is your major option, then Revenge and Shockwave with Devastates in there too. HS is supposed to be a rage dump now, and I need to test it out more but right now it seems kinda weak.

notworksafe said:
For the new 1-60 content, you don't need anything but the base game. The expansions for are higher level stuff.

Alex said:
The benefits the actual box for Cataclysm provides is Goblins, Worgens, Archeology, 81-85 zones and end game content.

You could just have vanilla WoW by itself and get the benefit of the new world and all it's redesigned fare for 1-60.

You need BC for Outlands and general 61-70 content and Wrath for Northrend at 71-80 content.

Ah, I see. So basically until I reach Level 60, I don't have to worry about any expansion packs right in terms of missing any content?

Really dumb question in terms of leveling how long does it take someone playing for around 2 hours a day to get to level 60 (not doing any powerleveling stuff)?

Ah, I see. So basically until I reach Level 60, I don't have to worry about any expansion packs right in terms of missing any content??

It only matters if you want to be a worgen or goblin leveling to 60.

notworksafe

Ah, I see. So basically until I reach Level 60, I don't have to worry about any expansion packs right in terms of missing any content?

Really dumb question in terms of leveling how long does it take someone playing for around 2 hours a day to get to level 60 (not doing any powerleveling stuff)?
Differs by person. I take FOREVER to level because I focus a lot of crafting, chatting, exploring, and fooling around. My friend is super fast though. He got from 1-80 in like 2 weeks. It just depends on how you play, really.

As far as what gives what content, here's a quick breakdown

Plain WoW - Most classes (Warrior, Priest, Mage, Warlock, Shaman, Paladin, Druid, Hunter), most races (Human, Night Elf, Dwarf, Gnome, Orc, Troll, Tauren, Undead), most professions (Mining, Blacksmithing, Herbalism, Alchemy, Inscription, Enchanting, Tailoring, Leathworking, Skinning, Cooking, Fishing, First Aid), current 1-60 content, new Cata 1-60 content.

Burning Crusade - Blood Elf and Draenei races, Jewelcrafting profession, 60-70 content.

Wrath of the Lich King - Death Knight class, 70-80 content

Cataclysm - Goblin and Worgen races, 80-85 content

I know you guys cleared up my question on outfit swapping, but is there a way to tie outfits/weapon slots with warrior stances? I used to use a 3rd party program to auto equip a a shield for my Warrior when in defensive stance; a 2 hander for Battle Stance, etc.

Flib

MisterAnderson said:
I know you guys cleared up my question on outfit swapping, but is there a way to tie outfits/weapon slots with warrior stances? I used to use a 3rd party program to auto equip a a shield for my Warrior when in defensive stance; a 2 hander for Battle Stance, etc.

What if you try to change mid-combat?

Evlar

Banned
MisterAnderson said:
The built-in Equipment Manager won't do that. My Warrior is strictly sword-and-board so I don't know if there are still addons with that functionality.

EDIT: Or macros, I guess.

Flib said:
What if you try to change mid-combat?

You can change weapons mid combat, which was the point of it. It made playing the warrior class much more dynamic for me. If anyone knows of a good program or whatever to achieve this I'd like to know, as I have no idea how to write macros or anything like that.

Hixx

Really happy with my fire mage. Over the moon.

My hunter... ergh, not so good. Spec'd survival and mashing steady shot basically constantly really isn't fun. Feel starved of resources, I know they've designed it around Cobra Shot but should my spec feel completely gimped for 2 months?

Now to try out the death knight and paladin while beta is downloading at its current pathetically slow rate..

Is there an addon been fixed/created that combines all the bags and bank into one big bag? I was using Baubags (sp) but it wont open the bank now and its pissing me off having to open 5 bags to find something :lol

Dk tankgin is madness with all the clicking but fun and I gained like 10K hp :D

notworksafe

Might try asking on WoW forums in the Warrior board or checking WoWWiki. I can guarantee you that someone has written the exact macro you want and it's just sitting out there waiting for you to add it to your game.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Useful_macros_for_warriors might be a place to start.
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/board.html?forumId=11114&sid=1 - The official WoW macro forum. These dudes are really helpful and will know what to do.
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/board.html?forumId=10022&sid=1 - The official WoW Warrior forum. Expect more douchebags here than the previous forum, but they will know more Warrior specific macros, probably.

The only addons I know of that do this don't work with 4.0.1 (Wardobe actively broke my UI lol), which is why I'm recommending macros at the moment.

Johnlenham said:
Is there an addon been fixed/created that combines all the bags and bank into one big bag? I was using Baubags (sp) but it wont open the bank now and its pissing me off having to open 5 bags to find something :lol
I use Bagnon. It's updated for 4.0.1 and uses very little memory. Also as a heads up, pressing shift+B opens all bags at once.

So Warriors are really really bad in every aspect right now :(

Not even sure if I want to play anymore on my main.

Reading the Warrior forum is hella depressing.

I've done that part a million times, Elwynn on a warrior. I don't know how balancing is at the moment but for a time in beta warriors were very weak.

My best advice at that level (6-8) or so is to get a shield and a 1H weapon to go with it. Warriors have rather bad survivability at that level, so anything helps. Apparently you just lost Hamstring which would be useful at that point. Make sure you train the latest skills in Goldshire before heading out. Rend (7) is useful for a little extra damage and Victory Rush (5) is essential to improve survivability, especially if you're fighting multiple mobs.

Just proceed with caution. Find out at what range a mob will attack, and look around to make sure that you won't get into that range of a second mob when you move in to attack. In that case you may be able to kill off that second mob first before moving on. Get a bow or gun for pulling mobs from a distance, if they don't have a mana bar. If they have a mana bar, you will probably have to Charge in to fight anyway as they will just shoot you from afar.

If you have food, eat everytime you're at 60% or less after a fight. If you're higher, just use a Victory Rush the first thing you do in the next fight.

Sentient mobs tend to run when at low health. It's random but they might run right into another mob or two. Without Hamstring you can't do much about this right now, so prepare your battle accordingly and move mobs to somewhere where they can't easily find help. If they do run and you see them heading towards another group, don't stay around. RUN! If you get 3+ mobs and don't know exactly what to do, you're dead. Run back where you came from, since it will probably still be cleared. If you just run off randomly, you'll probably run into something else that wants to kill you.

For the record, I did that quest on my bank alt, wearing only a tux and a Diamond Tipped Cane. That was a paladin but still severely under-geared.

Human Warrior.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Mage T11 looks pretty flashy.

Freakinchair said:
So Warriors are really really bad in every aspect right now :(

Not even sure if I want to play anymore on my main.

Reading the Warrior forum is hella depressing.
The official forums are the last place you want to view because everyone blows things into something bigger than it should be. Warriors are the most played class for a reason and I doubt Blizzard will let it slide for too long where they don't get fixes - or everyone just needs to sit down and wait for Cataclysm before weeping.

notworksafe said:
Your enchants will be safe. You'll just get an extra line at the top of your item that says "Reforged".

Oh phew! :lol I had already reforged everything then was like "waiiiit a second!"

Cant seem to open my alchemy page either which is another annoying bug or me being stupid :/

Aurarian

PhoenixDark said:
Seems to be rotation related and due to the GCD changes. Pre-patch obviously you could spam HS while using your rotation at the same time. Taking HS spam completely out of the picture naturally is going to result in less threat. While Blizzard has said they want tanks to "work" for threat it feels like I'm pushing a lot of buttons and still seeing dps come quite close/above my threat output on single targets, which is ridiculous.

Prot warrior rotations are more based on priority. Shield Slam is your major option, then Revenge and Shockwave with Devastates in there too. HS is supposed to be a rage dump now, and I need to test it out more but right now it seems kinda weak.

This is what I'm seeing as well. The warlock in the group I had earlier was always at 96-97% of my threat most noticeably on single target fights(bosses).

EDIT:

Oh wow. Parry now converts at the same rate as Dodge.

183924.jpg

Whoa, it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom