• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
If you got a 310% mount before 4.0.1, you're good to go with every mount.

If you get an old 310% mount anytime past 4.0.1 , you have to buy the skill.

J-Rzez

DeathNote said:

Good, I would've been pissed if they changed that stance and I got hosed into another money sink for something I was promised before.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Good, I would've been pissed if they changed that stance and I got hosed into another money sink for something I was promised before.
Your UI should say it too actually. Spellbook I guess.

Some mounts are being removed or having droprates altered in patch 4.0.3. We will have a detailed list of the changes for you this week.

Look, I completely understand your frustration, but as I said the announcement about 4.0.3 mount changes is coming this week. It's best to address concerns about individual mounts and their rarity once the information is out there.

I guess this is a confirmation about the ZG mounts being gone for-ev-ver.

Alex

Paladin tanking is a lot more fun now, IMO. I had a lot of fun tonight trying it. I didn't care for it much before, the rotation really grated on me, now it feels a lot smother.

The blue guy didn't clarify it too well recently, but they did say in the past that this would be the case too, it's not very surprising.

CassSept

J-Rzez said:
So we don't have to pay to learn this, we'll already have it, if we had said mount before this patch? That's what they said before, what are people making a deal out of now then? All I know is, they can try to be a bit more clear with the way they give out info, and once they say it, stick to it.

So I should still be good having said mount before this patch, that's all I care about then. I guess those people that picked up the mount since yesterday, or were planning on getting it soon are screwed then.
Yeah yeah, I apologise, I missed that single line and due to that misunderstood the whole post.

Still, I think they should've at least warned players that post-4.0.1 you can't get 310% any more.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
DeathNote said:
They want people to have to watch their threat. Also, you have killing blow immunity with Cauterize in fire and then survival as long as something is done about the debuff.
Which does nothing if you have aggro; like Ardent Defender, you continue to take attacks if you have aggro.

I also don't agree about the way I'm reading what you're saying about threat. They said they don't want tanking to be super easy. They did not say they want people to watch their threat, at least not in the way you are implying, which is just threatcapping all the DPS. If the design intent was "DPS will be threatcapped," a) you would be able to actually see your threat in game, and b) every class would have a means to reduce threat, which they don't. It's easy to get from Point A to Point B with that; but they aren't the same thing.

GC has said outright that it's not fun being threatcapped and threat capping your Raid because the MT cannot produce enough threat is not the design intent. The idea is that you won't have a comfortable gap between yourself and a bad tank, not that you are threatcapped on every tank single target, regardless of gear, skill or whatever. The problem is they already had a massive tank shortage, which isn't going to get better when it's annoying to deal with. People like Sheeping until they realize you have to grind the same dungeons hundreds of times to get JP and VP. I'd theorize that Wrath being an AoE fest kept more people around than it lost.

So maybe it's because I'm relatively new to resto Druid healing (like 3 weeks), but I'm not seeing the OMG Hard with the new model. Been doing heroics again now that I replaced Grid with the superior Vuhdo, and I have no issues. Different spell usages (wb, lifebloom) but no one dies and tanks are still pulling way too fast with giant groups of mobs. ;)

Maybe once 85 rolls around and mana starts becoming an issue, until we regear?

I for one am so glad I'm not stuck in Tree form all the time now.

Edit: should I worry about topping healing meters at all when everyone is healed and stays up during all fights? I have Recount but isn't it just epeen waving? I certainly don't have to cast every GC by any means.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Ew, low level BGs are terrible right now. Rip-roaringly unbalanced, and getting sent to BGs where there are teams of 5 in Warsong Gulch constantly (vs. 8-10 on the other side of course).

mclem

CassSept said:
Yeah yeah, I apologise, I missed that single line and due to that misunderstood the whole post.

Still, I think they should've at least warned players that post-4.0.1 you can't get 310% any more.

As a guild we deliberately pushed for Glory Uld-25 in the week prior to the expansion precisely because we expected the 310% skill upgrade for free to go away in 4.0.1; it seemed bizarre to have a 5k goldsink in the game which could also be completely trivialised by running Glory Uld-10 at L85 without too much hassle and save a ton of money.

Blizzard could have been more explicit, but the clues were there that it was changing.

Swag

Tried the usual Light of Dawn farm, failed so miserably the first attempt.

People not used to new class mechanics :lol

Hixx

So what's the deal with the EU beta. Character copy just doesn't work, world server's been down for nigh on 18 hrs now... can't even log into the beta forums.

Might just play around with me mage before it gets nerfed to bits :(

Alex

krypt0nian said:
So maybe it's because I'm relatively new to resto Druid healing (like 3 weeks), but I'm not seeing the OMG Hard with the new model. Been doing heroics again now that I replaced Grid with the superior Vuhdo, and I have no issues. Different spell usages (wb, lifebloom) but no one dies and tanks are still pulling way too fast with giant groups of mobs. ;)

Maybe once 85 rolls around and mana starts becoming an issue, until we regear?

I for one am so glad I'm not stuck in Tree form all the time now.

Edit: should I worry about topping healing meters at all when everyone is healed and stays up during all fights? I have Recount but isn't it just epeen waving? I certainly don't have to cast every GC by any means.

Here's some simple differences:

1.) Mana costs go up enormously, gigantically from 80 to 85. My 80 junk Paladin has a 1k flash of light cost, at 85 it is ~7000.

2.) Healing does not scale up much.

3.) Regen will drop, a lot

4.) Cataclysm is much harder than Wrath by default, let alone when returned to introductory gear levels.

Healing in PvE isn't completely backbreaking compared to say, some of the trickier BC heroics, but it's night and day compared to Wrath. You absolutely cannot carry bad play anymore and will be heavily reliant on your whole toolbox.

The Dungeon Finder is going to be an amazing source of entertainment. Although, in the beta, I've seen more healers blow through their entire mana pool in an instant, whine and rage quit than crazy bad DPS dooming the group.

should I worry about topping healing meters at all when everyone is healed and stays up during all fights?

Healing meters are largely irrelevant under the same scheme you'd use DPS meters for, ESPECIALLY in current Wrath when it's all about sniping with overpowered heals at no consequence. Healing meters have limited uses, mostly for weeding out issues not attributed to overall ranking, and it takes some experience to really get much out of them.

If you've done your home work, and you're doing well, don't sweat it. When in doubt, hit EJ.

Acidote

Last night: weekly patchwerk, the same as last week.

My dps as a shaman enh, slightly better. The dps of a destro lock who did last week less than 5k: around 14300 dps. I really hope he was slacking last week :lol

Dunlop

Acidote said:
Last night: weekly patchwerk, the same as last week.

My dps as a shaman enh, slightly better.

We had too many healers last night so my buddy switched to his enh offspec. His DPS was through the roof.

I have been having issues (clinet minimizing, could not see any blobs with Rotface so had to pray when I cured disease...) since I chose the "recommended" video settings, now I can't seem to get the client stable.

Aesthet1c

I guess I'm the only one that actually likes the DK helm. In fact, I really like most of the T11 sets. The shaman set is kind of bland and the rogue set is down right ugly, but the mage, warrior, and priest sets (along with the DK helm) look badass.

DeathNote said:

I dunno, I have a 310% mount (the mount from doing all the holiday achieves) and in the beta, it's only moving at 280% speed and I need to pay the 4500g to increase it to 310%

Anyone know what the haste cap is for demo locks? Im at 1400 and I think it might be a good idea to switch back some gems to intellect, or reforge some haste into mastery. I didn't realize that shamans and mages can provide the same buff that demo locks provide with 4.0.1. I might as well just enjoy the easy destruction tree instead.

Azwethinkweiz said:
I dunno, I have a 310% mount (the mount from doing all the holiday achieves) and in the beta, it's only moving at 280% speed and I need to pay the 4500g to increase it to 310%
Is that on the PTR or on the live server? If you got it before 4.0.1, you should have the master riding skill.

Deputy Moonman said:
Is that on the PTR or on the live server? If you got it before 4.0.1, you should have the master riding skill.

The beta servers. Like, in actual Cataclysm. It's moving at 280% speed. I got the mount a year ago.

Dunlop

DeathNote said:

All i had left was 2 easy achievements ; (

Yazus

Retribution got heavily owned by 4.0.1. I knew it was coming all the way in Wrath, and I played the beta so I had an head-start on spec/gems/reforging BUT I didnt save me from having my DPS HALVED.

Yes, I am in full 264/277 with a 268 iLvl average with a 277 Weapon (no shadowmourne yet D: ) and I went from 8k on the dummy and 14k in 25 Man ICC from 5.2k to the dummy and 8k averagely in a raid environment.

On the other hand Warlocks went from 6-8k to 9-11k SINGLE TARGET dps.. shit just got real.

BTW today I logged in and I saw some stuff was hotfixed, for instance retributions Hammer of Wrath/Judgment got a huge buffs and now HoW crits for 22k and Judg crits for 11-15k... damage just got doubled OMG!! I went from 5.2k to 7k on the heroic dummy... Ill tell you on raid how it goes :D

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really loving how the Demo Warlock and Unholy DK play now. In some ways this feels like an all new game. I also love running heroics right now because everyone is trying to relearn their class and most people are being pretty patient. It's kind of refreshing seeing people be nice to each other in the game. :lol

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
Which does nothing if you have aggro; like Ardent Defender, you continue to take attacks if you have aggro.

I also don't agree about the way I'm reading what you're saying about threat. They said they don't want tanking to be super easy. They did not say they want people to watch their threat, at least not in the way you are implying, which is just threatcapping all the DPS. If the design intent was "DPS will be threatcapped," a) you would be able to actually see your threat in game, and b) every class would have a means to reduce threat, which they don't. It's easy to get from Point A to Point B with that; but they aren't the same thing.

GC has said outright that it's not fun being threatcapped and threat capping your Raid because the MT cannot produce enough threat is not the design intent. The idea is that you won't have a comfortable gap between yourself and a bad tank, not that you are threatcapped on every tank single target, regardless of gear, skill or whatever. The problem is they already had a massive tank shortage, which isn't going to get better when it's annoying to deal with. People like Sheeping until they realize you have to grind the same dungeons hundreds of times to get JP and VP. I'd theorize that Wrath being an AoE fest kept more people around than it lost.
On a mage, both could do a lot if you still had aggro. Before knowing you need to keep your eye on threat right now at least.. Fire would have given you a chance to stay alive if used wisely over Frost. You could have Ice Blocked, killed the debuff, stayed at 40% from quick reflexes, got healed to 100%, all while giving the tank 10 seconds to pick up threat. Then you would have realized you needed to managed and would have stayed alive the whole fight.

I found what GC said:

We actually never implemented threat decay. We're not sure we'll need it.

The bottom line is that being a good tank is a mark of pride for tanks. It's not fun to do a job well that any guy off the street could do with no practice or experience. Getting better at your job is a major motivator for players to play.

Threat is part of that. Back in the day, you got excited when you had a tank who knew how to generate threat. It was a source of bragging rights for the tank.

So just autoattacking, or just Thunder Clapping, shouldn't be enough for you to never worry about threat. You should have to pay as much attention to your rotations as an Affliction lock or Frost DK needs to do in order to be competitive on meters.

We don't want to go too far though. While it's not asking much for a mage to wait a few seconds before unloading with everything they have, it's also not fun if you feel that tank threat is constantly throttling you. In particular, we're trying to clamp down on the situation where say at minute six or seven despite everything the tank can do, the dps start to creep up on you. Vengeance was implemented almost entirely for this reason -- it helps keep tanks scaling their threat as dps classes gear up.

Finally, we don't want the tank to be solely at the mercy of others to generate threat. We don't want abilities like Tricks of the Trade or Misdirection or dps classes using their threat drop abilities on cooldown to solve the whole problem for the tank. All of those abilities still exist, but they won't turn a bad tank into a good one and they won't make a great tank feel 100% at the mercy of others.

We don't want tank threat to be so high that the dps are absolved of all responsibility. If players are on the wrong targets, that is a L2P problem. If the mage opens with Arcane Blast before you even get a hit in, that is a L2P problem. If your group feels like they have to wait 6-10 seconds before they can start attacking, then that's either a tank problem or a problem on our end. Likewise, if your group feels constantly throttled several seconds or minutes into the fight, then either you aren't generating as much threat as you are capable of, or our numbers are preventing you from doing so.
Did I say or imply you should constantly watch threat during a boss fight? Not sure, but I agree that's dumb without an official UI for it. But, his wording and the existence of the cooldowns makes it logical to watch threat. You don't need a meter for focus firing, phased boss threat wipes, and starting too early. The real debate is, should you ever have to worry about it in the middle of a fight without an official UI? The way I read it is... they don't want it a constant high risk thing in the middle of the fight, but that it's still possible. Which is logical, but still weird without an official UI.

Dunlop

While I do like the versitility, we ran a regular ICC to test out the new playstyles and I find it is really not worth doing any of the chakra's outside of renew - it is by far the most useful and easy to keep chakra running.

I did switch constantly on the fly just for the sake of it but could (and should have) just used renew for all the fights.

More interesting was how I used to make fun of our shamans for chain heal being the majority of their casts whereas I was almost 30%/30%/30% (renew, Coh, Flash heal)

Now the Shaman was spread out evenly on boss fights and my renew accounted for about 50% of the heals and the Power Word word that went with it (firewall dont remember name) accounted for about 30%

Holy priest has now become a one trick pony?

also using the heal chakra to keep the tank up (proccing renew) is scary as shit as that spell seems to take 5 mins to cast :lol

also we ate through the first 7 bosses like they were made of paper, the new mechanics are definately not built around WoTLK

Aurarian

Azwethinkweiz said:

I think that might be something to do with the beta... Although, that's bs that you have it at that speed especially having gotten it over a year ago. On Tuesday, I already had learned master flying automatically. I hope it's not gone when I log in cause that's bullshit, what's the point of making the drakes available with a speed increase over existing mounts and then nerfing them when a new patch comes out. I can understand removing them from the game to keep them rare and such, but nerfing them? That's absolute bs.

Evlar

Banned
Painraze said:
Are they able to make changes on the fly with the new streaming client?
It appears they can client side, and they have been. Some stuff has to be changed server-side, though, such as the Atonement fix. Thus, the rolling restarts this morning.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Azwethinkweiz said:
You have it in live right? Are you subscribed? You can check there. ;)

Actually, I'm interested in an in game confirmation. The way I read it all mounts should be 310% and it should say you have the riding skill right now.

Zarhym said:
To clarify my original post, when I said no changes were being made to mounts in 4.0.1, I was referring to the idea of mounts being removed or droprates changed. No mounts have been removed as of yet, nor have any droprates been altered.

With that said, 310% speed is now solely obtained by purchasing the skill. All mounts now go the speed of your highest skill level. So if you happen to obtain Invincible now and have nothing higher than Expert riding, you will travel 150% speed. If you have Artisan riding the mount will be 280%. In order for the mount to travel 310% speed for anyone who obtains it after 4.0.1, you will need to purchase the new Master riding skill. Anyone who had a 310% mount prior to patch 4.0.1 automatically learned Master riding.

[...] There are no 310% mounts anymore. 310% speed is now obtained via Master riding, a new flying skill. All flying mounts are now only distinguished by aesthetics.

You should have gotten Master Riding for free. It's looking like it's not applying retroactively in this patch and just turning it into a 280% flying mount without giving you the skill.

yacobod

Banned
glad i have 310% mounts, because 5,000g from 280% to 310% is sort of lame, there isnt much of a speed difference between the mounts to warrant the price

So I beat up some dummies last night with my demo and afflic specs and I think I figured out demo pretty well but something with afflic just wasn't clicking. I think I'm going to drop it and try destro considering how everyone is going on about how much of a DPS boost it got.

I did some heroics with my demo spec and was pleased that I was able to boost my dps past my old numbers before the patch. I keep forgetting to use metamorphosis along with summoning a doomguard. I gotta work on that. I never said I was a good warlock, haha.

Also, should we be using Bane of Doom on heroic bosses or is that mainly for long raid battles?

One last thing... I use recount for my damage meter. We did Violet Hold last night and someone else was using skada(?) I think it was. Skada reported me as 4.8k overall dps where my recount reported me as 4.2k overall. It was an interesting discrepancy. Which one do you guys trust more?

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
FYI: destro warlocks are about to get hit with a nerf. i wouldn't make too many hasty decisions based off of what people are saying now.

Flib

Confused101 said:
So I beat up some dummies last night with my demo and afflic specs and I think I figured out demo pretty well but something with afflic just wasn't clicking. I think I'm going to drop it and try destro considering how everyone is going on about how much of a DPS boost it got.

I did some heroics with my demo spec and was pleased that I was able to boost my dps past my old numbers before the patch. I keep forgetting to use metamorphosis along with summoning a doomguard. I gotta work on that. I never said I was a good warlock, haha.

Also, should we be using Bane of Doom on heroic bosses or is that mainly for long raid battles?

One last thing... I use recount for my damage meter. We did Violet Hold last night and someone else was using skada(?) I think it was. Skada reported me as 4.8k overall dps where my recount reported me as 4.2k overall. It was an interesting discrepancy. Which one do you guys trust more?

Recount is also affected by range, so your melee and ranged typically have different readings of each other.

Aurarian

Well, I know I have 310% cause all my flying mounts can go at that speed as of yesterday. So, the problem here might be QQing in regards to not being informed beforehand that the mounts were not going to absolve someone of buying the skill.

Randy

Confused101 said:

Any tips for demo? AoE'ing is fine (though the numbers popping up from Rain of Fire are significantly lower that they used to be). Felguard's whirlwind attack is amazing.

But I'm having a bit of trouble with single-target dps. Only getting 5-6k dps, any idea how to improve that?

So after messing around with Fire since patch day I decided to give my ol' Arcane spec a try on a heroic boss dummy. To my surprise my AB's were critting for 23-27k. I may have a shitty memory but I'm pretty fucking sure I never even broke 17k on an AB before 4.0.1 in the same gear.

TomServo

Painraze said:
FYI: destro warlocks are about to get hit with a nerf. i wouldn't make too many hasty decisions based off of what people are saying now.

From what I read it's a PvP nerf... blue post specfically mentioned searing pain, which isn't a PvE spell.

As for the 310% mount speed thing... I think a lot of it is QQ'ing, except for the people complaining about the removal of 310% from Violet Proto-drake. I did that meta, and dammit if anyone goes through that they should get 310%. Welfare drake my ass, I'd rather pay 5000g for master riding skill than do that meta on any of my alts.

Hixx

Troll 1-5 was a bit disappointing. Soooo much running.

Human 1-5 on the other hand has been handled really well, no more 'go to the mine. now go back. and one more time' shit. Elwynn Forest as a whole was actually quite entertaining, did it in one sitting. Westfall is very good as well, streamlined the kill quests and made the flow better.

Really enjoying the new 1-60 stuff.

Rapstah

TomServo said:
From what I read it's a PvP nerf... blue post specfically mentioned searing pain, which isn't a PvE spell.
Since the patch, it is.

As a destro warlock who has never ever cast Searing Pain, I've still gotten a decent DPS boost from the patch - I hope they'll keep the rest of the class as it is.

TomServo said:

Searing Pain was out-dpsing every other destro nuke by a pretty fair margin, and sub 50% with the execute talent it wasn't even worth casting Chaos Bolt anymore. Coupled with the fact that it also does high threat, yeaaah, I didn't see that lasting. Sad I didn't get to do a raid with it that way though =P

In other news, haste = more ticks per Immo = bigger Conflags is kinda cool:
[00:28:31] [Your] [Conflagrate] crit [General Vezax] for *101869*

DeathNote said:
You have it in live right? Are you subscribed? You can check there. ;)

Actually, I'm interested in an in game confirmation. The way I read it all mounts should be 310% and it should say you have the riding skill right now.

I was going to check this morning before I went to work but uhhh...apparently all the servers are down (or were, anyway).

So are we allowed to fly in the old world in 4.0.1 or is that not until 4.0.3?

Evlar

Banned
Warlocks were simply ripping people apart in PvP, too. Over the last two nights WSG was basically determined by which team had more locks.

EDIT: Old Weather Flying won't be patched in until Cataclysm itself, I believe.

Sober

Alex said:
Yeah, the paladins were freaking out on the boards. Wahhh, can't spam Holy Light bombs non-stop forever!

The new Holy Paladin is fucking great, they did a fantastic job. Great variety and synergy,really enjoy it. Dunno if I'd go play it myself since I'm a Priest addict, but we'll see.

The funny thing is with the bitching now, I can't WAIT to see these guys hit cap and deal with the mana restraints, drowning in tears.
Wait, I thought HL was supposed to be the 'autoattack' heal for paladins, while FoL and DL are fast and big respectively. Did they not put spirit on holy plate? That might be why they have almost no regen, right? I have the crappiest gear on my priest but I can spam Heal all day and be at full mana, no problem.

Alex said:
Paladin tanking is a lot more fun now, IMO. I had a lot of fun tonight trying it. I didn't care for it much before, the rotation really grated on me, now it feels a lot smother
969 was terribly boring, so I welcome the new rotation, but it's still really just CS > X > CS >Y > CS > ShoR repeat. Of course, that was just on the dummy, and people in heroics still love to AOE, so I need to get used to Hammer doing the most piddly amounts of damage, spamming HW and even have to press consecrate (without inquisition). Grand Crusader is borked for some reason (from what I read) so I can only shield toss on cd right now.

God, I hate aoe tanking, since that was all I did since Hyjal :lol

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
How are frost mages in PVP right now? I was thinking of trying them again yesterday, but it was getting too late.

Aurarian

Azwethinkweiz said:
I was going to check this morning before I went to work but uhhh...apparently all the servers are down (or were, anyway).

So are we allowed to fly in the old world in 4.0.1 or is that not until 4.0.3?

That's not till Cataclysm probably. 4.03 is the patch where the Pre-Cata events, new race/class combos, and the 1-60 questing overhaul is supposed to happen.

Sober

I thought some pre-Cata started already. I was at the AH and all of a sudden my screen just starting shaking like mad. I don't think it was the Shaman spell either...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom