• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evlar

Banned
Sober said:
I thought some pre-Cata started already. I was at the AH and all of a sudden my screen just starting shaking like mad. I don't think it was the Shaman spell either...
Yes, the game world experiences tremors occasionally now. I tried to tell Magni what was coming, but he wouldn't listen...

Anyone else notice the Reforge NPCs are like solid objects? The one in Stormwind has clash detection enabled.

Randy said:
Any tips for demo? AoE'ing is fine (though the numbers popping up from Rain of Fire are significantly lower that they used to be). Felguard's whirlwind attack is amazing.

But I'm having a bit of trouble with single-target dps. Only getting 5-6k dps, any idea how to improve that?
Well, I'm kind of in the same boat as you. Rain of Fire numbers are way lower than I'm used to, I learned to love the Felguard's Felstorm, and I also love Hand of Gul'dan. The effects of HoG may not effect the elites or bosses, (I keep seeing 'IMMUNE' pop up) but the damage sure does and it has crit for 14k for me. I use it regularly on single targets.

So yeah, I was getting a little above 5k dps on single targets myself. But at least I have an idea of what I can improve. I wasn't using my metamorphosis and I wasn't using our new Doomguard summon. I'm not sure what kind of boost that's going to give me, but I'm not expecting crazy numbers like what destro is pulling out. So unfortunately, I really don't have much feedback for you. I'm still learning myself.

Also, are we supposed to be using Bane of Agony or Bane of Doom on heroic bosses? Should I modify my spec to include the talents that affect Bane of Doom?

moojito

Tried tanking Halls of lightning heroic on my druid this morning. No real problems. I was concerned the 6 second cooldown on swipe would really gimp me, but I didn't really have any threat issues. If you see a mob slipping away, switching to it and one mangle would bring it back in line. I didn't even have to use my taunt, which is probably just as well since I didn't have it on my toolbar :lol

Nothing's really changed for druid tanks, though. Just less swipe spam, and having to manually press maul instead of macroing it to everything is all. Oh, and keeping the pulverise buff on.

mclem

Azwethinkweiz said:
The beta servers. Like, in actual Cataclysm. It's moving at 280% speed. I got the mount a year ago.

I believe the beta did have a spell where there was a problem with grandfathering the skill in.

mclem

Evlar said:
Warlocks were simply ripping people apart in PvP, too. Over the last two nights WSG was basically determined by which team had more locks.

EDIT: Old Weather Flying won't be patched in until Cataclysm itself, I believe.

From fiddling about a bit with my camera, it's pretty apparent that the Stormwind we have at the moment isn't the one intended to be seen with above, so we're not going to get flying until something happens to change the structure of the world.

moojito

Aye, the first thing I did when logging in was to drop the 5k on the flying skill. For some reason I thought it would allow me to go at 310% in flight form, but I didn't see that happening. So I'm not sure what I just bought...

Aurarian

Sober said:
I thought some pre-Cata started already. I was at the AH and all of a sudden my screen just starting shaking like mad. I don't think it was the Shaman spell either...
Yeah, there's an event in Org where Thrall, Garrosh, and some others talk with each other and then there's the occasional earthquake. However, what i meant was that the actual quests and dungeon bosses won't be till then.

Flib

To be fair, the 310% difference is hardly noticably different than 280%.

And 4.03 is after the cataclysm actually happens, those bosses and quests will be out before it. You'll probably see new stuff opening up every week for the next month or so, and then 4.03 will drop and the world will change.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
moojito said:
Aye, the first thing I did when logging in was to drop the 5k on the flying skill. For some reason I thought it would allow me to go at 310% in flight form, but I didn't see that happening. So I'm not sure what I just bought...

it allows you to go at the speed of your fastest mount for all your mounts.

Flib said:
To be fair, the 310% difference is hardly noticably different than 280%.

You can't really feel the difference? I felt gimped on my shaman after leveling my paladin up and getting crusader aura, and this is even 10% faster than that. It's quite nice.

I wonder if they'll finally tie in the Goldshire kids to the stuff going on in Cataclysm. With the focus shifting back to Azeroth, there'd be a really cool opportunity to finally explain what was happening there. Decided to level a mage since I'm about 100% sick of grinding heroics and the new patch has completely destroyed all pugs (on my server anyway), so I poked the head in but they were despawned or walking around. One of my favorite easter eggs ever.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
DeathNote said:
On a mage, both could do a lot if you still had aggro. Before knowing you need to keep your eye on threat right now at least.. Fire would have given you a chance to stay alive if used wisely over Frost. You could have Ice Blocked, killed the debuff, stayed at 40% from quick reflexes, got healed to 100%, all while giving the tank 10 seconds to pick up threat. Then you would have realized you needed to managed and would have stayed alive the whole fight.

I found what GC said:

Did I say or imply you should constantly watch threat during a boss fight? Not sure, but I agree that's dumb without an official UI for it. But, his wording and the existence of the cooldowns makes it logical to watch threat. You don't need a meter for focus firing, phased boss threat wipes, and starting too early. The real debate is, should you ever have to worry about it in the middle of a fight without an official UI? The way I read it is... they don't want it a constant high risk thing in the middle of the fight, but that it's still possible. Which is logical, but still weird without an official UI.
That isn't the same quote I was thinking of; he's talking about the idea they've been tossing around to cause tank threat to rapidly fall if the tank doesn't hit the target. (Terrible idea, btw.)

I don't really think Blizzard's design on threat is really any different than it was in Wrath; some classes still don't have anything to manage threat at all. I think they just are producing low threat at the moment.

I still don't see how Cauterize is useful in an aggro managing sense in PvE. When you actually have full on aggro from skull level mob, it's very little different than 40% additional health. Getting the heal itself isn't really any different than Ice Blocking before he hits you in the first place because he never stops hitting you.

Cauterize's best PvE usage seems like it would be ignoring things like Frost Bombs or Spores.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
So will the pre-cata quests and stuff be popping up in the weeks to come? Like leading up to 4.0.3?

McNei1y

SquirrelNuckle said:
Man Destro Lock's are so OP now. Love it.

I need to figure out how to play Destro. I've been a lock for three years now and I have never experienced with Destro. Then again I haven't been playing my lock for half of that time. I tried once but I was posting the same DPS that I was as affliction.

Question: I haven't been playing regularly as much as I have since about 6 months ago. My GS is 5k. I'm an affliciton lock. Is 5.4k dps bad/good? Could I do any high raids? I'm trying to do ToGC and ICC before CATA.

notworksafe

According to forum numbers, cats were buffed.

So things I've worked out so far:
All cat form critical strike effects have a 2.2x multiplier. (Ha! Called it.)
Mangle: (Weapon Dmg) * 3.6 + 1017
Shred: (Weapon Dmg) * 3.5 + 1036
Rake Direct: 272 + 0.023 * AP
Rake DoT: Rake DoT: 555 + 0.14 * AP (Per tick)
Rip: 57 + 144 * nrCPs + AP * 0.023 * nrCPs (Per tick)

Still need to check Ravage/FB.

Things that are unchanged:
* Savage Roar
* Fury Swipes (still unaffected by SR)
* Mangle debuff's effect.

This is pretty good. It won't put cats in pre-patch numbers, but I don't think they will ever go back there.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Bumping post from last page, there has to be someone with a mage who tried to pvp(BGs at least) as frost since the patch went live.

Bisnic said:
How are frost mages in PVP right now? I was thinking of trying them again yesterday, but it was getting too late.

Manus

McNei1y said:
I need to figure out how to play Destro. I've been a lock for three years now and I have never experienced with Destro. Then again I haven't been playing my lock for half of that time. I tried once but I was posting the same DPS that I was as affliction.

Question: I haven't been playing regularly as much as I have since about 6 months ago. My GS is 5k. I'm an affliciton lock. Is 5.4k dps bad/good? Could I do any high raids? I'm trying to do ToGC and ICC before CATA.

Destro is super easy. The rotation includes around 5 spells. With a 5.4 GS you can do ICC. About the only raid you probably not ready for is RS. If I wasn't at work I'd post my build.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
theinfinityissue said:
I wonder if they'll finally tie in the Goldshire kids to the stuff going on in Cataclysm. With the focus shifting back to Azeroth, there'd be a really cool opportunity to finally explain what was happening there. Decided to level a mage since I'm about 100% sick of grinding heroics and the new patch has completely destroyed all pugs (on my server anyway), so I poked the head in but they were despawned or walking around. One of my favorite easter eggs ever.
That part always freaked me out :lol

SquirrelNuckle said:
Destro is super easy. The rotation includes around 5 spells. With a 5.4 GS you can do ICC. About the only raid you probably not ready for is RS. If I wasn't at work I'd post my build.
Is te rotation similar to what it was pre patch?

Aesthet1c

So how exactly does the new raid lockout system work with heroic fights mixed in? My understanding is if my guild did 8 bosses in ICC last night, then I could join a pug and do the same 8 bosses and then join my guilds run Saturday night. However I remember hearing that heroic fights make it more restrictive. If my guild did heroic gunship would I still be able to join another ICC pug and join my guilds run on Saturday? Would I also be able to do a heroic gunship in my pug?

Rapstah

MagicJackBauer said:
Is te rotation similar to what it was pre patch?
Essentially, except Corruption is now worth having up and you get free Soul Fires now and then.

That is, unless you cast Searing Pain exclusively.

Duki

Banned
wow, they managed to make ret paladins even more boring than before wtf.

so much standing around waiting now.

i imagine leveling would be more fun, but damn

vilmer_

I just witnessed a DK basically solo the entirety of heroic Utgarde Pinnacle... I couldn't hold aggro to save my life, he'd be at 150k threat after I've hit like 3 buttons, I just couldn't keep up :lol We must've finished the instance in like 8 minutes, nobody could believe it. 10k dps overall, steady throughout the run :/

notworksafe

I love reforging so much. My Ret set was seriously garbage...I had such a weird mix of old and new gear that I had 12% hit and 45 Expt (seriously). I reforged all my extra hit/expt to crit and mastery and now I'm doing like 7k DPS. Not great...but in t8/t9 mixed it's not terrible.

Rapstah

vilmer_ said:
I just witnessed a DK basically solo the entirety of heroic Utgarde Pinnacle... I couldn't hold aggro to save my life, he'd be at 150k threat after I've hit like 3 buttons, I just couldn't keep up :lol We must've finished the instance in like 8 minutes, nobody could believe it. 10k dps overall, steady throughout the run :/
Before, you could have one guy in the group doing 5000 or more DPS and it'd be a breeze. Now everyone is doing 6000. We just killed Herald Volaszj before he finished casting the first Insanity. What.

Sober

Evlar said:
Anyone else notice the Reforge NPCs are like solid objects? The one in Stormwind has clash detection enabled.
More like, that is an incredibly intelligent solution to making it so people don't crowd onto NPCs with their mammoths. Podiums and stands work too, but half the time you can still jump onto them.

Of course, hilarity will probably ensue if they gave it to all NPCs (e.g. city guards, LOL) so I guess they are going to reserve this to maybe just quest NPCs or during world events please.

Sober

Aurarian said:
I can't believe that it's so complicated. I like the challenge of having a nice rotation and such but that's ridiculous.
It's not ridiculously hard, it's just that the table has alot of space used asking if you have energy. I guess if you really want to be anal about it, yes, that would be the best flow chart, but it's simple (relatively) to just get the basic ideas of it. This chart is complicated for the sake of being complicated if you haven't gotten the basics down, like how to stack CDs or knowing when the refresh your buffs or SR.

Example: why does it ask you if Tiger's Fury is up and why it even bothers to ask if you have < 40 Energy? (it might even be old cause TF now also increases your max energy) Why does it even bother to ask you if you have SR up if you have combo points?

From my short time playing feral, the rotation is roughly a priority: always keep SR up, 5-point rip is must, mangle if needed, shred for combo points, keep rake up, only really FB if you need to when you have the spare time (the major glyph helps not waste energy).

So if MP5 is no longer valid.. what makes the MP5 stuff on the gear we own now?

I found gear drops last night with the modifier and I'm a bit confused.

Can anyone clue me in?

mclem said:
From fiddling about a bit with my camera, it's pretty apparent that the Stormwind we have at the moment isn't the one intended to be seen with above, so we're not going to get flying until something happens to change the structure of the world.

NEVER FORGET these amazing SW keep textures
sw1.jpg

And while we're at it
sw2.jpg

Flib

It's pretty cool seeing Stormwind from above in the beta. It looks massive and has all these side areas beyond the walls with farms and ponds and such.

Unfortunately, it's got nothing on how amazing Orgrimmar is now.

Hixx

Flib said:
It's pretty cool seeing Stormwind from above in the beta. It looks massive and has all these side areas beyond the walls with farms and ponds and such.

Unfortunately, it's got nothing on how amazing Orgrimmar is now.

New Stormwind is seriously great.

Shame I can't get ANY characters on it so I can fly about. Still very nice from the ground though!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
vilmer_ said:
Howling Blast x infinite.

notworksafe said:
Sooooo...I made a Druid. Name will make more sense when I'm Moonkin, but I'm still quite pleased. :D

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

notworksafe

Also Cat Form is at 8 now! I quit my last Druid at 15 because I got so bored with lame bear. Heck, even Balance is totally viable to level now. The new changes are really cool.

The other thing I noticed is that mob names only appear to you if they are part of a quest, otherwise they don't have names (if they are turned off). Same for trainers. You only see the name of your class trainer. Little touches like that are really cool.

Beginner tooltips are neat too. I turned them on for Druid to see what it was like, and they are helpful. Lets you know what situations to use different abilities.

EDIT: Mangle is also beyond amazing at low level. I 1-2 shot everything.

CassSept said:
Arcane mages - jesus christ. Our mage has just done 24k dps on saurfang by spamming a single button whole fight.
o_O

I'm hoping everyone continues focusing on how awesome/fun/great Fire is to keep attention away from the ridiculous damage Arcane Blast does now.

Shhhhh..... :lol

Angry Grimace

notworksafe said:
Also Cat Form is at 8 now! I quit my last Druid at 15 because I got so bored with lame bear. Heck, even Balance is totally viable to level now. The new changes are really cool.

The other thing I noticed is that mob names only appear to you if they are part of a quest, otherwise they don't have names (if they are turned off). Same for trainers. You only see the name of your class trainer. Little touches like that are really cool.

Beginner tooltips are neat too. I turned them on for Druid to see what it was like, and they are helpful. Lets you know what situations to use different abilities.

EDIT: Mangle is also beyond amazing at low level. I 1-2 shot everything.
You can turn quest mob names only off. I have names on for everyone at all times, just because I'm used to it that way.

Outdoor Miner said:
I'm hoping everyone continues focusing on how awesome/fun/great Fire is to keep attention away from the ridiculous damage Arcane Blast does now.

Shhhhh..... :lol
Ironically, Fire is roughly identical to pre-patch Fire. Why did everyone notice Hot Streak is fun NOW? Oh wait, because prepatch it did the same damage as easy-ass Arcane, but now it does more DPS so it's more worth looking at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom