• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

notworksafe

MisterAnderson said:
So I'm starting to feel more comfortable now. I just need to go out and download the appropriate UI stuff. What are the popular mods to use? Should I just go to wow.curse.com and look for the ones with good ratings/high downloads, or does WoW GAF recommend any?

And does any Prot Pally's have a good hotkey setup for their skills that they'd like to share?
I use Mapster for an improved map, Bagnon for bags, Omen for threat, Quartz for cast bars, and Sexy Map for a good looking minimap. That's about it really.

I can post a screenshot of my hotkeys when I get home, but everyone in my guild says I have the worst keybindings of all time. My suggestion is just to go with something that is comfortable for you.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Can someone tell me what the hell im doing wrong? I'm trying to teach my alchemist alt how to transmute epic gems, but the trainer can't even teach me those! And i'm at 450 Alchemy!

Is it because ive got Elixir Master?

Bisnic

notworksafe said:
As far as I know, any WotLK trainer should be able to teach you epic gem transmutes. Just have to be at 450 skill.

Yeah, that's what i don't understand, i have 450 alchemy. The Dalaran trainer even gave me the quest to learn how to transmute the red one(the one where you need to make 5 epic gems of the other colors). But she's not teaching me them!

I hope it's not another patch bug.

AFKevin

Neo Member
notworksafe said:
I use Mapster for an improved map, Bagnon for bags, Omen for threat, Quartz for cast bars, and Sexy Map for a good looking minimap. That's about it really.

I can post a screenshot of my hotkeys when I get home, but everyone in my guild says I have the worst keybindings of all time. My suggestion is just to go with something that is comfortable for you.

I'd also recommend:

OmniCC - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/omni-cc.aspx
Inline-Aura - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/inline-aura.aspx
Skada Damage Meter - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/skada.aspx

OmniCC is helpful for knowing when a cooldown is almost up and Inline-Aura helps for knowing when a DoT or buff is about to expire. Skada is what i use over Recount for a damage meter, since it's what my friend recommended for me.

Alex

This new patch is doing a good job of really highlighting how dumbed down healing was in WOTLK. Reading the healing boards for five minutes, you can see just how miserable half of these people are if they can't spam one spell with an unending mana bar or how confused they get at any ability synergy or new mechanics.

It's pathetic, maybe I'll heal in Cata after all since there's clearly going to be a massive shortage of competent healers.

Boof

Alex said:
This new patch is doing a good job of really highlighting how dumbed down healing was in WOTLK. Reading the healing boards for five minutes, you can see just how miserable half of these people are if they can't spam one spell with an unending mana bar or how confused they get at any ability synergy or new mechanics.

It's pathetic, maybe I'll heal in Cata after all since there's clearly going to be a massive shortage of competent healers.

This is great for the game itself. I played a Holy Paladin as my main and that shit was mindless. I enjoyed it for what it was but I look forward to actually having to think in even 5 mans like you had to do back in the old days (Vanilla).

Alex

Yeah, the paladins were freaking out on the boards. Wahhh, can't spam Holy Light bombs non-stop forever!

The new Holy Paladin is fucking great, they did a fantastic job. Great variety and synergy,really enjoy it. Dunno if I'd go play it myself since I'm a Priest addict, but we'll see.

The funny thing is with the bitching now, I can't WAIT to see these guys hit cap and deal with the mana restraints, drowning in tears.

markot

Banned
Mana looks like it will be no problem for shammy healers >.< lightning bolt regens so much with the talents that you can just wait and cast the more expensive heals.

Although the heal spell mana costs gets pretty high at 85 >.>

I dont get why they went from dps never having to worry about mana to now it being a big concern for healers...

Although I do think its the right move... maybe.

thatbox

Banned
Alex said:
Yeah, the paladins were freaking out on the boards. Wahhh, can't spam Holy Light bombs non-stop forever!

The new Holy Paladin is fucking great, they did a fantastic job. Great variety and synergy,really enjoy it. Dunno if I'd go play it myself since I'm a Priest addict, but we'll see.

The funny thing is with the bitching now, I can't WAIT to see these guys hit cap and deal with the mana restraints, drowning in tears.
I don't understand your position. They're right to complain about no longer be able to spam HL equivalents non-stop forever because right now, on live, at 80, they have the same tank throughput as everyone else and only Light of Dawn for raid healing.

Alex

markot said:
Mana looks like it will be no problem for shammy healers >.< lightning bolt regens so much with the talents that you can just wait and cast the more expensive heals.

Although the heal spell mana costs gets pretty high at 85 >.>

I dont get why they went from dps never having to worry about mana to now it being a big concern for healers...

Although I do think its the right move... maybe.

Lightning bolt only regens enough mana to cover itself at 85 with Ttcurrents. Same with Evangelism/Archangel and smite

I don't understand your position. They're right to complain about no longer be able to spam HL equivalents non-stop forever because right now, on live, at 80, they have the same tank throughput as everyone else and only Light of Dawn for raid healing.

Is your argument that they can't cover healing well at 80, which would be complete bullshit as the new tools fill the void plenty well enough even under the current model.

Or is your argument that omgz, they cannot currently winz heeling metors!? which is pretty much the only actual grounds I ever saw anyone trying to stand on and that says a lot about the average Wrath kiddie.

I'll personally be happy with the exodus of healers occurs, the people who actually give a shit about the archetype and working as a team will crop back up and it'll be beautiful.

PatzCU

I just got hit by a Mind Blast for 21k crit in Warsong Gulch. I'm playing a holy paladin in full wrathful + 2200 weapons. WOW :lol

Alex

PatzCU said:
I just got hit by a Mind Blast for 21k crit in Warsong Gulch. I'm playing a holy paladin in full wrathful + 2200 weapons. WOW :lol

It's better on beta, but it ain't much better. Resilience needs to come back up in some manner and several casters need to go way down.

Shadow Priest isn't AS bad though, it's mostly things like Mage. Mage, which I dearly love, is going to be torn a new asshole with nerfs. It's currently as bad as Ret was in the WOTLK beta. Arcane can literally knock 100k HP off you in 5-6 seconds atm. Frost isn't much worse and with all the control it has.

I just hope their nerfs doesn't knock Frost out from being a viable PvE spec, because it's really fun in PvE atm.

PatzCU

I have yet to encounter a good mage in BGs, but I can assure you I will come back here with my tail between my legs when I do.

I remember WotLK beta when I could faceroll everyone with my Ret Pally, it was good times!

Aurarian

So my mouseover devastate macro is broken. Was there any change to them in this patch? I didn't see anything affecting macros in the notes... so I don't see why it's broken.

Lolligag

Aurarian said:
So my mouseover devastate macro is broken. Was there any change to them in this patch? I didn't see anything affecting macros in the notes... so I don't see why it's broken.
Try removing the rank number from the macro?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Alex said:

There is going be shortage of competent everything. While not as demanding as Vanilla or BC. It's clear WOTLK face stomp is done for.

Which is hilarious since our guild couldn't even do more than one dragon+ on the one boss, with 3 dragon adds. :lol

C.Dark.DN

Banned
NERF/BUFFS:

Rather than try and address multiple threads, I'm just going to plop our current thoughts in this one post. Please excuse the brevity.

1) We think Fury, Arms, Feral cat and Retribution dps is too low and we will be buffing them.

2) We think mage dps is too high, especially Fire, and will be nerfing it.

3) We think Shadow priest dps is too high, but that's largely a result of Shadow Word: Death spam, which is tough on healers. We'll be fixing that.

4) We think Destro warlock dps is too high, but that's largely a result of Searing Pain spam, which is tough on tanks. We'll be fixing that.

5) As we suspected, PvP dps is just too high given that the health pools of Cataclysm haven't kicked in yet. While competitive PvP is over for the moment, we still want the environment to feel better so we will be buffing resilience. This change might be reverted at level 85.

There will probably be more changes after another night of raiding and BGs. Many of the bug fixes we have made today will affect dps as well. Stay tuned.

Flib

I don't think anyone can disagree with those changes.

Is it wrong that I keep going into Vortex Pinnacle just to gawk at how gorgeous it is? Even though it's only an ok dungeon?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
TO THE GROUND BABY.

I leveled a warlock to 10 and then a mage to 10 and now I don't know which one I should keep leveling or maybe level up a shaman.

Or a hunter.

Flib

I guess the Vortex Pinnacle took all of their artists' strength, because this t11 DK helm is utterly miserable.
PLACE THE CROWN UPON MY HEAD

tier11_dkhelm.jpg

Flib

It's annoying since the landscape and creature art in cataclysm is so much better than anything they've done before...and then you have these shitty armor sets.

Flib said:
I guess the Vortex Pinnacle took all of their artists' strength, because this t11 DK helm is utterly miserable.
PLACE THE CROWN UPON MY HEAD

[pic]

Definitely a helm I'll have to turn off, like the T9 one. (T9 wasn't so bad on other races, but HORRIBLE on Tauren.)

Bisnic

You know something isnt right when your ilvl 264 PVE gear have more stamina than your ilvl 251 PVP gear. :lol

Hunter is taking a while to copy over. Premade went pretty quick though. I've been playing a Tauren Paladin in the mean time while waiting for the cata zone servers to come back up.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Was this a bug or an easter egg in vanilla?

Back in the day, on a warlock, you could mount a griffon. What you did was... have your Imp attack something nearby. As soon as the Firebolt hit something, you click to fly somewhere. If you timed it right, you could hover around over the ground on a girffon. Haven't tried it in forever.

Alex

I'm actually liking a lot of the armor on this tier, normally I've been pretty harsh on everything they've done post T6, but at least unlike the last few sets it has some neat thematics and actual points of interest rather than a jumble of weird patterns and random spikes.

Well except maybe the Shaman set.

I def like that DK helm, it's neat with the horns and the crown. I would like the priest set if the damn pads were smaller. Also, why teal? It looks more like something a Resto Shaman would wear, color it white and silver or something.

Flib

I actually sort of like the warlock set, but only in specific colors.

I realize I'm the odd man out on that one.

Destruction Warlocks are definitely overpowered for the time-being. In my guild it's me filling the demo spot, and our other two locks as destro. They were putting up 16-17k dps on a good chunk of our 25m ICC encounters. No point in staying demo right before the expansion.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
A lot of specs are violently OP while others are crap. I didn't even bother to spec Fire, because doing 12K dps would have been kind of cool, but I would have just threatcapped and died, since I threatcapped and died doing the same thing in Frost.

Evlar

Banned
Atonement is broken. They've disabled it entirely on live. Kinda wondered why I was having trouble keeping the tank topped up...

I agree about hating helms, they always look horrible on my Dwarf.

I just wish Demonology was more competitive with its two counterparts. It's better than it was, obviously. Perhaps the excuse has always been that it shouldn't be top dps of the 3 trees, b/c it's more a buff provider, but then you have the destro and affliction locks getting even higher dps numbers from that buff, essentially leaving demo locks behind in the dust.

And it's aggrevating knowing that the demonology rotation just went quantum physics on everyone, while destruction basically remained the same easy immolate>conflag>chaos bolt>incinerate spam rotation. I was working my butt off tonight for each boss in ICC, and while the results were much better than before the patch, it was depressing to see my numbers no where close to destruction.

metamorphosis > shadowbolt (for ISB) > immolate > hand of gul'dan > corruption > soulburn+ soulfire >bane of doom > charge >immolation aura > shadowflame > shadowbolt > incinerate x3 when MC procs > soul fire under 30%... rinse and repeat :lol holy ball sack! + summon a demon on CD

Demonology really feels like affliction at times (having to keep all dots and effects up), excpept it requires you to be able to get into melee range for the full benefit on top of that. On fights like saurfang i took a sizeable dps loss from having to back off for adds. And then when it's all said and done conflagerate/incinerate wins hands down. I shouldn't be complaining b/c the melee dps got nerfed pretty badly. Poor feral druids got ripped. But I imagine it will get buffed up again and demo will be sitting toward the bottom half of the dps again in the near future.

Quick question to any locks out there, at what point do you stop sacrificing intellect/spellpower for haste? I've switched out all my gems, i've reforged all my gear, so that I'm just at 17% hit cap, everything else was turned into haste except for pieces with haste already on it, which were turned into mastery. Should I even switch my enchants out for haste? For instance, would black magic be worth using? I haven't seen any specific answers about when to stop. I'm very close to 1400 haste currently, maybe just over that even. Should I keep going?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
A lot of specs are violently OP while others are crap. I didn't even bother to spec Fire, because doing 12K dps would have been kind of cool, but I would have just threatcapped and died, since I threatcapped and died doing the same thing in Frost.
They want people to have to watch their threat. Also, you have killing blow immunity with Cauterize in fire and then survival as long as something is done about the debuff.

DeathNote said:
They want people to have to watch their threat. Also you have killing blow immunity with Cauterize in fire as long as you do something done about the debuff.
But locks get a 90% threat wipe with soul shatter and it's on a 2 minute cooldown. Our tanks had no problems keeping threat tonight.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Deputy Moonman said:
But locks get a 90% threat wipe with soul shatter and it's on a 2 minute cooldown. Our tanks had no problems keeping threat tonight.
Well, cauterize can happens one per minute. Ice block, Invisibility. Just saying... Fire should have good survivability with threat management. They are wanting that to be done in Cat.

ampere

CassSept said:
http://blue.mmo-champion.com/t/27187849344/310-icc-mounts-in-4-0-1/

What the fuck?
First they say that if you get any 310% mount all your mounts will be scaled up and now it turns out that there are no longer any 310% mounts and all existing ones are scaled down to 280%?
Are you fucking kidding me?
Wow

Shit like this makes me want to quit playing :lol

My guild would have farmed ulduar 10 achievements if we had known, total curveball

CassSept

Oh I actually misread that blue post, but still... not nice Blizz, not nice. They should've posted some notice ahead in time that this is going to happen :/ Especially since Uldu10 drakes are laughably easy to get now.

So - Played around with a Holy DPS Pally Build. (What? I know...)

But yea.. tried to do a 'Shockadin' like good ol days...

And yea... it actually works.

Spam Excorcism and them Holy Shock and then occasional instant cast Excors or non cooldown Holy Shocks are in there as well.. Pretty decent dps..

DeathNote said:
Well, cauterize can happens one per minute. Ice block, Invisibility. Just saying... Fire should have good survivability with threat management. They are wanting that to be done in Cat.
No, I totally agree with what you're saying.
CassSept said:
http://blue.mmo-champion.com/t/27187849344/310-icc-mounts-in-4-0-1/

What the fuck?
First they say that if you get any 310% mount all your mounts will be scaled up and now it turns out that there are no longer any 310% mounts and all existing ones are scaled down to 280%?
Are you fucking kidding me?
I knew they were gonna make the speed purchaseable, but I didn't realize they were gonna nerf the current 310 speed mounts before the release of the expansion. I'm feeling fortunate that I already have it on two of my toons, even though I spent 15k for the rusted protodrake on my alt lol. I could have just waited.:lol

J-Rzez

Wait...

Anyone who had a 310% mount prior to patch 4.0.1 automatically learned Master riding.

So we don't have to pay to learn this, we'll already have it, if we had said mount before this patch? That's what they said before, what are people making a deal out of now then? All I know is, they can try to be a bit more clear with the way they give out info, and once they say it, stick to it.

So I should still be good having said mount before this patch, that's all I care about then. I guess those people that picked up the mount since yesterday, or were planning on getting it soon are screwed then.

That DK helm looks freakin' horrible. What happened to Blizzard's good artists? All this does is gives me confirmation that a greater portion than lead to believe of their A-team has moved onto their new MMO. Either that, or they're just flat out of ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom