• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Guess I'm ZG farming tomorrow.

Palmer_v1 said:
As a relatively new player, is there any point in me trying BGs as I level up, or is it just a huge twink-fest waiting to gank me?

Great XP on the BG weekends. I think I did 55 to 64 in two days on my druid abusing AV's weekend.

Dina

Cyrillus said:
Had this same exact problem this morning. What I found in my search was that basically the Beta installer looks for your live install to copy files from it to save from downloading the whole game again. However, the beta installer thinks the live install is still version 3.3, so it errors when looking for various files. The solution I found was to temporarily rename the "World of Warcraft" folder in which my original install is located, then the beta installer will just download the entire client, and it should work (yes, another 13 gigs :-( )

That's the thing, it doesn't. I renamed my live client to WoW1 and ran the beta installer. As expected, the installer went incredibly fast without getting that error. So far, so good.

Yet, when I try to run the beta, and the three phases download launcher comes up (where you download the 13gig again), somewhere in the middle of phase 1 it gives me an error, saying the beta is corrupted and that I need to run repair.exe. Running this utility in both the live and the beta folder doesn't help it, even though it detects no errors.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Palmer_v1 said:
As a relatively new player, is there any point in me trying BGs as I level up, or is it just a huge twink-fest waiting to gank me?
Pretty sure twinks have their own queue for xp-off. Doesn't mean someone 5-9 levels higher in heirlooms won't own you. Levels and ppl with heirlooms vary.

Entropia said:
72 hour suspension for exploiting the justice points from the Oculus bag. Ooops. :lol
wut, how do you do that? not going to do it since they are watching and it'd be dumb, but i ran oculus a few times.

Uh..

Weird.. So I specced Holy with a main focus on holy shock and instant cast exorcisms.. And um yea its pretty hot shit.

I got into some duels tonight and was taking ret pallies like 5 lvls above me cuz they can't kill me and burn through their mana then I just slowly peel them down.. It is pretty hilarious.

Rokam

Okay so I finally realized that while on a quest the mobs you need to kill will have their names displayed even if you have the names over npc's head option turned off. Does anyone know where the option is to turn this off for quests?

mclem

We're really struggling in raids. I *think* it's the healing, while I'm shaky as a tank I believe I've got the basic stuff locked down now, but all of us tanks are getting squashed very quickly. Hopefully the weekend will give people a chance to actually get to grips with their class, I think people were forced into raiding a bit too quickly.

Anyone able to give some guidelines as to what I should be looking for in the logs for the various healers to show they're either doing the right thing or something very wrong? I'm suspicious about the fact that our pally healers aren't really using Divine Light yet.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I think it's all bugged. Health bar plates or whatever are confirmed to be messed up and will require a patch. I saw alliance players in BG without red name plates. I'm sure it relates.

Hixx

Rokam said:
Tried it, but no matter what they won't turn off if I'm on a quest to kill those specific types of mobs.

Why do you want to turn them off for anyway? They're incredibly useful imo, especially on 'kill lord bitchtits' quests.

Rokam

I prefer the names above to be reserved for opposing faction players. I can see it being helpful, but it's not something I need or want.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I resubscribed yesterday... haven't been on since june. Is there anything new to do except fixing talentpoints?

Hixx

Aaaaand a character I spent 5 hours on in the beta yesterday has disappeared within the last 20 minutes. nice. Even though its a month and a half away, this is insaaaanely buggy. WotLK beta was much more stable at this stage :/

moojito

mclem said:
We're really struggling in raids. I *think* it's the healing, while I'm shaky as a tank I believe I've got the basic stuff locked down now, but all of us tanks are getting squashed very quickly. Hopefully the weekend will give people a chance to actually get to grips with their class, I think people were forced into raiding a bit too quickly.

Anyone able to give some guidelines as to what I should be looking for in the logs for the various healers to show they're either doing the right thing or something very wrong? I'm suspicious about the fact that our pally healers aren't really using Divine Light yet.

Youd want to have something like recount or skada installed. You can view the combat log the few seconds before your death with your health, incoming damage and incoming heals. If you see a relative steady decline in health with low or no heals coming in, healer's fault. Similarly, if you're taking massive damage spikes that no healer could manage, you'll see that as well.

mclem

Oh, yes, I should have mentioned that we're running world of logs as well as recount, so I do have the numbers to work with. I've just picked up a distrust of taking meters at face value where healing's concerned due to various quirks about absorbs and overhealing, hence trying to work out what warning/reassuring signs I should be on the lookout for.

Dunlop

ug, last night was just a clusterfuck of technical issues.

I logged in and my game would stutter to the point I was getting sick no matter what I did to the video settings. I updated my drivers and nadda, then removed some out of date addons and it started to work.

While the bosses go down like paper in ICC now (our new guild was totally rusty having not been in ICC in months and we fucked up on Sindrosa and downed her with only 4 of us standing in 10 man with at least 30% of her health). We would get random DC's and then the person could not rejoin our group until multiple logins. By the time we were as LK I was DC'ing ever 5 minutes and we had to call it.

I had not made any changes since the night before and I was running fine then, I'm so glad blizzard applied more patches to "fix" thngs......

Infinity

I haven't played in 6 or 7 months. But with the changes, Is retribution still the path to go as a pally from 70 - 80 or is Holy better?

Evlar

Banned
mclem said:
Oh, yes, I should have mentioned that we're running world of logs as well as recount, so I do have the numbers to work with. I've just picked up a distrust of taking meters at face value where healing's concerned due to various quirks about absorbs and overhealing, hence trying to work out what warning/reassuring signs I should be on the lookout for.
The absorbs, at least, are finally accurately reported in the combat log. The most recent Recount dutifully reports them properly. Can't say whether World of Logs has been updated to report the new absorb info.

Also, it may not be all the healers' fault. The Block mechanism has changed, meaning tanks (and anyone else with shields) can receive much larger damage spikes than before, particularly when pulling large groups. From what I've seen warrior and pally tanks just can't pull ten elite mobs and expect to come out unscratched.

mclem

Yeah, the tanking part is my responsibility, but at least I actually know how on earth to interpret the available information on that side of things!

Flib

Infinity said:
I haven't played in 6 or 7 months. But with the changes, Is retribution still the path to go as a pally from 70 - 80 or is Holy better?

I recently leveled a prot alt and it was great.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Infinity said:

Unless all you want to do is heal instances from 70 to 80, i dont see why you would think Holy is better than Ret. :lol

Infinity

Gotcha. With the changes I didn't have a preconceived notion of holy being better than ret - just wanted to see what you all thought. Thanks.

Evlar

Banned
Got kicked last night from a heroic PUG for DPSing as the healer. I'm a Disc priest. :lol

Did they bother to ask why I was casting Smite along with my bubbles and renews? Did it register with them that the tank wasn't dropping below 80% health? Of course not.

So is it true dual specs are going to be available at level 20 for 100g in Cata? That would be fantastic as I'm leaning towards playing a healer more and more each day.

Bisnic

DK T11 isn't as bad as some people thought. I think it look kinda cool, especially the orange one.

Alex

I really like it now that the full set is shown in a good picture like that. I'm pretty big on sets that adhere to a class aesthetic heavily though, like Paladin T2 or Priest T5/T6.

joelseph

Resubbed for the patch. And got a question about trinkets! (everything is blocked here at work)

Disc Priest in ICC10 gear. Had tons of spirit so I reforged all of it to Mastery. So now I am sitting with a decent amount of mastery and spirit and still can't even scratch my mana bar.

I think my problem is my trinkets. I have the mana regen trinkets that got changed into Int +spi procs. What should I be rocking? Abacus from the boat event? Anything else?

Kletian

So far I like every Tier set prviewed except my own class, Rogue.

WTF is going on with that helmet, seriously.

Oh well, at least the last 3 Tier sets for us have been pretty awesome, this is probably the first shit set since T4, I had a good run.

Flib

Outdoor Miner said:
So is it true dual specs are going to be available at level 20 for 100g in Cata? That would be fantastic as I'm leaning towards playing a healer more and more each day.

It's already that way on live.

Bisnic

funkmastergeneral said:
This ZG news is bullshit!Why does Blizzard have to keep removing content from the game.

I'd rather they make ZG into a cool and useful lvling zone than an abandoned raid that people only do in hope of 2 mounts dropping at 1% chance once a week.

Kletian said:
So far I like every Tier set prviewed except my own class, Rogue.

WTF is going on with that helmet, seriously.

Oh well, at least the last 3 Tier sets for us have been pretty awesome, this is probably the first shit set since T4, I had a good run.
Agree about rogue set, really not digging it. I see some Prince of Persia in it but meh, could use some more work...

Love the DK and Mage sets though.

TomServo

Evlar said:
Got kicked last night from a heroic PUG for DPSing as the healer. I'm a Disc priest. :lol

Did they bother to ask why I was casting Smite along with my bubbles and renews? Did it register with them that the tank wasn't dropping below 80% health? Of course not.

Wow, that's impressive. There's even a talent / glyph that gives Smite 17% hit so you can pull this build off - it's not something that EJ just came up with on their own.

I didn't go the Smite route on my disc priest, and I don't think it's even needed in heroics. I reforged all of my spirit to mastery, and in the one heroic PuG I ran I rarely had to do anything but PW:S and PoM. About half the time I was casting heal it was more to drop the debuff timer on Weakened Soul than anything.

That said, the DK tank did seem to have insane avoidance. On trash pulls the mobs didn't even hit him enough to get past PW:S.

Anyone know if there's a way of disabling this glowy effect? It's fucking annoying.

6edcig.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom