• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swag

Angry Grimace said:
There's been plenty of "big" bosses. My guess is, he won't scale past the size that the other aspects are for that fight. He's not theoretically bigger than Malygos or Alexstrasa.

I don't think Arthas was really 12 feet tall either.

Your right, for some reason I remember reading that he was bigger then the other dragon aspects. I was hoping that they would include some type of unique mechanic for the fight, I found the Arthas fight kind of lacking in comparison to Yogg Saron.

Actually a lot of fights are lacking in comparison to Yogg

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
What would be cool with Deathwing fight, to make it really unique & epic, is that he is so huge, that part of the raid fight is actually on his back. And we have to damage his wings, tail, head, while avoiding lots of fire stuff coming out of his body(not to mention all the ashes in the sky surrounding him, looking at the CG intro), until he is wounded enough to fall from the sky, where we finish the fight against his human form or something like that. Also, it seems Alextrasza is taking an important part in the lore, so its probable that she might help during the Deathwing fight.

I don't want some fight in a lava stage, that will just remind me of Sartharion, with a bunch of mechanics taken from Onyxia like Deep Breath and a ton of whelps.

Hixx

Deathwing is fucking huge. When I did the Hyjal quest and you see him next to Ragnaros it was actually funny how much he dwarfed him. At LEAST 4 times bigger than Rag.

Swag

Bisnic said:
I don't want some fight in a lava stage, that will just remind me of Sartharion, with a bunch of mechanics taken from Onyxia like Deep Breath and a ton of whelps.

That would be a really disappointing fight if that were the case. Fighting on his back would be cool, but I can't see that happening, can't think of any boss fight that didn't happen in an isolated space. ( In some type of Room )

For the Deathwing Fight, I think it the only thing epic enough would be to have a fight in the middle of Orgrimmar/Stormwind with a giant Deathwing and some kind of buff that also makes your tank gigantic. It would be like a Godzilla fight. But in Org!

Bisnic

You don't need some addon to fix the nameplate issue.

Just type
/console Bloattest 1

Did the job for me

Deathwing is fucking huge. When I did the Hyjal quest and you see him next to Ragnaros it was actually funny how much he dwarfed him. At LEAST 4 times bigger than Rag.

Really? From the youtube videos i've seen, Ragnaros is still bigger than Deathwing.

But maybe those videos are old.

Alex

I found a little pet while doing the ZG farm for raptor/tiger. It's a baby raptor, when did they add this?

notworksafe

3.2 I believe. It's a drop off the trash mobs by the Raptor mount boss if people didn't know.

It's gone in 4.0.3, so go get it now if you don't have it!

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Are glyph prices the result of the recent changes, or have they always been this expensive?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
notworksafe said:
I don't really use nameplates much, but what is different in them now? They look the same to me. Someone's name and an HP bar.

EDIT: This is what I see when I turn them on. Is this not right?

They work.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Ikuu said:
Are glyph prices the result of the recent changes, or have they always been this expensive?
It's because you keep them forever now, so glyph people are gouging.

Angry Grimace

Deathwing2.jpg

Deathwing doesn't look that big.

Or bad.

Magnus

Question -- so I'm patched and good to go on my Macbook. I just hooked my PC up again after a move. Instead of downloading it all again, can I conceivably just transfer the 4gb behemoth over to my PC? Are the patches multiplatform? Thanks.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Angry Grimace said:
It's because you keep them forever now, so glyph people are gouging.
That, and the herbal market is going absolutely nuts. Stacks of easily acquired herbs with a 10min run through Stonetalon from one end to the other go for 50g each. I saw quite a few level 58 DKs running around Swamp of Sorrows gathering that shit like an addict too.

Magnus said:
Question -- so I'm patched and good to go on my Macbook. I just hooked my PC up again after a move. Instead of downloading it all again, can I conceivably just transfer the 4gb behemoth over to my PC? Are the patches multiplatform? Thanks.
From what I understand, sadly no. Only PC - PC or Mac - Mac.

notworksafe

Magnus said:
I don't believe they are. On my Mac they have the extension .app, so that means the PC ones are probably .exe.

Swag

GhostRidah said:
Weird question but does anyone know if I buy cataclysm will it come with a free trial month or do I need to reactivate my account?

Wrath didn't give me a free trial, neither did BC, I think only if you upgrade from Vanilla do you get the free month.

I'm assuming they'll follow suite with Cataclysm

Sebulon3k said:
Wrath didn't give me a free trial, neither did BC, I think only if you upgrade from Vanilla do you get the free month.

I'm assuming they'll follow suite with Cataclysm
Thanks, I dont remember getting anything from those as well but just had to make sure.

Retro

NeoGAF said:
Deathwing Fight

I made a post at MMO-champ a few months back, but it seems to have disappeared. The attunement and had the raid taking out spotters, lieutenants and such in Grim Batol to make way for a massive Dragon Army to invade and kick Deathwing's ass.

The first phase of the fight was just pure survival; you're on the ground in a huge forge (similar to the central area of Ironforge) and there's tons of dragons flying around trying to kill Deathwing, including Alexstrasza who's leading the charge. All you have to do is avoid getting smashed (by Deathwing himself or the rocks as the fight tears his chamber apart) and run to protect dragons that fall (Healers heal them back up, tanks and DPS focus on adds that swarm in and try to finish the friendly dragons off).

At the end of Phase 1, you have no choice but to retreat, so everyone mounts up and flies out. Deathwing tears through the ceiling and chases you, firing huge lava bursts (which would be easily dodged) and generally trying to kill Alexstrasza.

During Phase 2, players can either be on Deathwing himself (using a Grip ability similar to the Storm Peaks Daily) or riding on other Dragons.

Those riding on him have to attack his armor plates while dodging plumes of magma that come gushing out. Some of the raid stays on dragons and can use their breath attacks to push the plumes out of the way (which is required once you have a bunch of plates off) and use their abilities as normal (so healers and ranged DPS would hop on dragons). If a player fails to hold on, a dragon comes to pick them up, but the dragons themselves cannot dismantle the armor, so too many people can't fall, but there's some wiggle room.

Once the armor is exposed, Alexstrasza comes tearing ass at him and rips the shit out of Deathwing, and they both end up plummeting down into Northrend, of all places. Deathwing hits the ground, weakened, and Alexstrasza tips over a cliff and more or less dies.

Phase 3 involves the players actually tangling with Deathwing personally while Alexstrasza's consort flies off 'on a desperate mission'. You don't kill him so much as you keep him too weak to fly off. Once you had the big bastard down a bit, the consort would return, half dead, with a chunk of the Frozen Throne, the only substance cold enough to actually stop Deathwing. The last half of the fight is basically Deathwing going berserk as the raid tries to keep him down until the shard of the throne can be jammed into him (the consort assists during the fight and when Deathwing his a certain amount of health, finishes him off.

After that, Deathwing turns to stone, Alexstrasza crawls up to mutter a few goodbyes to the raid and her dragon buddies before she dies, and the raid gets phat loot.

Probably a bit too long though, 3 phases. And the tie into Icecrown is probably just silly, but... meh, it'd be cool to fight Deathwing in mid-air. :lol

Lolligag

notworksafe said:
I don't really use nameplates much, but what is different in them now? They look the same to me. Someone's name and an HP bar.

EDIT: This is what I see when I turn them on. Is this not right?
Yours looks buggy to me. You have a few Horde nameplates showing, but then there's some that don't have it in that pic.

It's exactly what mine is doing, I think if something obstructs your view to the npc/person when you first load them, the nameplate will be fucked up.

notworksafe

Sebulon3k said:
Can anyone running the game on Ultra with high everything post their specs / average FPS?
Mac Pro 2008, Xeon 2.8Ghz Quad Core x2, 6GB RAM, 8800 GT 512MB

That's my roommate's machine and he runs the game on max Ultra settings at 60-75 FPS. Except in Dalaran. You probably wanted PC though. :D

Alex

i5 750 @ 4.0ghz
4GB DDR3 1600
Geforce GTX 460
Windows 7 64

60 FPS everywhere, but I do suggest dropping your shadows one level from max, as it's a known killer for very little benefit.

Swag

Alex said:
i5 750 @ 4.0ghz
4GB DDR3 1600
Geforce GTX 460
Windows 7 64

60 FPS everywhere, but I do suggest dropping your shadows one level from max, as it's a known killer for very little benefit.

Jesus, I have almost identical specs, but I don't get 60fps. How are you getting your i5 to clock at 4ghz!? Is that with the stock cooler, please enlighten me to the awesomeness.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Have they buffed everything across the board? I just went for a quick spin on my level 25 Warlock in Demo spec and obliterated everything :lol

Boof

Alex said:
i5 750 @ 4.0ghz
4GB DDR3 1600
Geforce GTX 460
Windows 7 64

What resolution?

Alex

Boof said:
What resolution?

1080p.

Jesus, I have almost identical specs, but I don't get 60fps. How are you getting your i5 to clock at 4ghz!? Is that with the stock cooler, please enlighten me to the awesomeness.

Coolermaster hyper212+. close friend helped me set it up, said it went to 4ghz effortlessly (max stress test using that one popular program put it at 69-70c), so it must be a really nice cooler. My first experience with overclocking.

notworksafe

speedpop said:
Have they buffed everything across the board? I just went for a quick spin on my level 25 Warlock in Demo spec and obliterated everything :lol
It seems that the way spells scale, you hit really hard at low levels. I've noticed this on the Druid I'm leveling and it's really nice. Makes me wonder if the new mobs they put in for quests will have higher HP to stop people from burning through content so fast.

Boof

Alex said:
Coolermaster hyper212+

I'm building a new computer in a week. And I ordered this very cooler. Which way do you think is the best direction to point the fan on the cooler? I ordered a HAF X case and can't seem to decide which direction is the best.

Alex

Boof said:
I'm building a new computer in a week. And I ordered this very cooler. Which way do you think is the best direction to point the fan on the cooler? I ordered a HAF X case and can't seem to decide which direction is the best.

Friend says so that the fan is directing the heat towards the rear of the case. If you have two on it, have it also do the same, he said adding a second fan to it helps at about 3-5c for my case.

Flib

After watching the cinematic, I realized i hadn't checked out Booty Bay. It has been hit by a tidal wave, and check out the secret of the statue:

WoWScrnShot_101710_230329.jpg

WoWScrnShot_101710_230944.jpg

Also, this is the area in Deepholm where Deathwing was rebuilt (looks better in game, there is all this rapidly swirling fog):

WoWScrnShot_101710_190802.jpg

As I said before, if there is anything people want to see from the beta, let me know and I'll grab screenshots for you.

notworksafe

Flib, can you get any shots of the new Undercity? I'm curious how it will work with flying mounts. Also is anything different in Exodar or SMC?

Swag

Alex said:
Coolermaster hyper212+. close friend helped me set it up, said it went to 4ghz effortlessly (max stress test using that one popular program put it at 69-70c), so it must be a really nice cooler. My first experience with overclocking.

Will have to get one of those and test out the overclocking potential

Bisnic

notworksafe said:
Flib, can you get any shots of the new Undercity? I'm curious how it will work with flying mounts. Also is anything different in Exodar or SMC?

I dont think the inside of UC changed at all, only the ruins outside so that flying mounts can actually see something.

I think only SW & Orgrimmar really changed. The other cities probably have some new NPCs or a building or two and that's it. I'll be surprised if they even touched Exodar & Silvermoon to be honest.

I was quite surprised to see Prophet Velen in Stowmind with the rest of the Alliance leaders yesterday. I thought Blizzard completely forgot about him.

Retro said:
Awesomeness

Sadly I don't think the Deathwing fight will live up remotely to that CGI, or your description =(

Also, I feel I should point out that it looked like Deathwing could have taken 20 more seconds to completely level SW instead of just the park district and clawing some towers. But maybe he smelled something tasty in the distance.

notworksafe

Bisnic said:
I dont think the inside of UC changed at all, only the ruins outside so that flying mounts can actually see something.

I think only SW & Orgrimmar really changed. The other cities probably have some new NPCs or a building or two and that's it. I'll be surprised if they even touched Exodar & Silvermoon to be honest.

I was quite surprised to see Prophet Velen in Stowmind with the rest of the Alliance leaders yesterday. I thought Blizzard completely forgot about him.
Blizz forgot about Lor'themar Theron. He and Sylvanas aren't seen or mentioned in the Org event. At least Cairne gets a name drop.

Kind of a bummer about the other cities. The Cataclysm messed up the land near them, but not the cities themselves? Lame.

J-Rzez

Heh, that Booty Bay statue is a nice touch what they did to the inside.

notworksafe said:
Blizz forgot about Lor'themar Theron. He and Sylvanas aren't seen or mentioned in the Org event. At least Cairne gets a name drop.

Kind of a bummer about the other cities. The Cataclysm messed up the land near them, but not the cities themselves? Lame.

Yeah, it's definitely a shame they didn't go over SM at all as well. :(

Retro

Hmm... So I resubbed, patched, and am good to go. I'm finding Protection Paladins are a bit slow on getting their Holy Power up. Feels like Avenger's Shield should have a chance to generate Holy Power or something. I'd also rather get the giant flashy graphical indicators for Sacred Duty than Grand Crusader. Yeah, it's nice to chuck another AS, but knowing when Duty is up has determined whether I'm refreshing Holy Shield with WoG or Shield of the Righteous on several occasions.

I also need an addon to move the Holy Power gauge to the center of the screen, glancing up to check it constantly is going to lead to all sorts of AOE headaches. I like the mechanic, just not where the UI is tracking it.

Got stomped by a DK... I didn't even have a chance to get any holy power going, looks damage is insane now. Granted, my gear isn't top notch (full Tier 9), but I expected to live a LITTLE longer, especially as Prot.

I chalk it up to being rusty... and not having my keybinds at that second-nature level yet.

Ah well. Looks like I'll be playing again, pretty impressed with Blizzard's changes so far, just a few more tweaks and it'll feel right.

Angry Grimace

Sax Russel said:
Sadly I don't think the Deathwing fight will live up remotely to that CGI, or your description =(

Also, I feel I should point out that it looked like Deathwing could have taken 20 more seconds to completely level SW instead of just the park district and clawing some towers. But maybe he smelled something tasty in the distance.
The only way it would live up to that CGI would be if he was smart enough to attack someone other than the guy with the shield getting all the heals. Which he wont' be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom