• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

I have a question about hunters, as I just noticed something on mine. My steady shot and Arcane shot say they deal weapon damage + x amount, while my Chimera shot and Aimed shot say they deal ranged weapon damage + x amount.
Is that a case of them missing the ranged word on the first two, or do they really mean what it says?

Also fuck yeah, finally got the Jeeves schematic!

Can anyone comment on how the Mac client has improved in the last year or so?

The last time I was playing (can't say excatly when, but I quit right after the Argent Tournament appeared), the Mac client was alright but it definitely ran better in Windows via boot camp. It wasn't a huge difference, but it was significant considering the compromises I was having to make to maintain a good framerate. Mostly my Mac install had issues with hiccuping when I panned around quickly.

I currently don't have a bootcamp partition and was hoping that the Mac client had caught up enough to keep me from having to bother settign that up again.

For reference, these are the specs for my Macbook:
2.4ghz Core 2 Duo
4gb ram
Nvidia GeFrorce 9400m (integrated)

notworksafe

LaserBuddha said:
Can anyone comment on how the Mac client has improved in the last year or so?

The last time I was playing (can't say excatly when, but I quit right after the Argent Tournament appeared), the Mac client was alright but it definitely ran better in Windows via boot camp. It wasn't a huge difference, but it was significant considering the compromises I was having to make to maintain a good framerate. Mostly my Mac install had issues with hiccuping when I panned around quickly.

I currently don't have a bootcamp partition and was hoping that the Mac client had caught up enough to keep me from having to bother settign that up again.

For reference, these are the specs for my Macbook:
2.4ghz Core 2 Duo
4gb ram
Nvidia GeFrorce 9400m (integrated)
I run a MBP 2.4ghz dual core, 4gb RAM, 8600GT and I run everything on High settings at 30 FPS (I set 30 as the hard cap to avoid overheating)

I've never had any big issues with performance, but it got much better after the Snow Leopard video card driver updates.

Evlar said:
You ought to get about 80 to 100 points per run, dependent on the number of bosses per heroic instance. 16 JP per boss, 23 JP for finishing each heroic. It should go very quickly for you queuing as a tank.
Oh sweet! I should be able to knock that out pretty quickly, especially once I remember how to tank... Seems to be the same though, except throw in a rend, right?

Charge -> Rend -> Thunderclap -> back up, Shockwave -> spend rage on shield slam/cleave/revenge/devastate. That sound about right? I just don't remember any of the dungeons at all! I had to do occulus last night as my first dungeon back and was so thoroughly confused...

Flib

The people in my guild in beta were loving the raid encounters yesterday (though some people are saying they're balls hard and some saying undertuned). They seem pretty interesting watching the videos and reading the strats (I like all of the buff/debuff controlling). Excited to see the 3 encounters being tested today.

Dunlop

Dr. Pangloss said:
Yeah about the spreading out of abilities. Priest Fort and Warrior Commanding Shout don't stack any more =(.

They will aslo conflict with the Imp buff (so if you lock dies, everyone will lose the buff duting the fight), it comes down to who cast the buff first

J-Rzez said:
Oh yeah, lock summons not even working too, forgot about that one.

Here's a real good one I forgot about too:

So the DK ghouls don't like to auto-cast "Claw" anymore, and with dark transformation, it's something to make sure to hit as it's a cleave. So I made a macro with my abilities so it casts is while I'm hitting my main attacks. Problem is, every time I used it with Scourge Strike in particular, it's crash my game. :lol

But yeah, these bugs are basically game-breaking all around. We wiped on LK twice last night and we gave up because even when people turned off "enhance your own spell effects", they couldn't see Defiles on the ground. Couple that in with those other bugs, making it take 10mins to get everyone actually back into the same ICC, it got annoying fast and we called it.

They need to fix this stuff badly.

No horseman mount for me so far. :(
I'm having an issue with my buffs. I can only see them if I click on my character icon and i'm unable to manually click off buffs that I don't want as a result. I've gone into the interface and tried the different buff options, and none of them work.

I was trying to do some tests on the training dummies and a mage gave me focus magic, which is cool, but i was wanting to see my own unbuffed dps. So I couldn't get rid of focus magic. Now when I am using the halloween candy and get shapeshifted, my only options to break out of it are to pop metamorphosis, or to use my own costumes like orb of the sin'dorei. Otherwise, I can't mount and it's really annoying.

Is anyone else having this issue? /reload ui doesn't work. would old addons cause this?

Swag

Anyone watch the raid videos posted on MMOchamp today?

Omicron defense looks really hectic, but fun. Couldn't really get the mechanics of Halfus Wyrmbreaker from the video, dunno what that dragon does, wonder if the HM is to keep him up while still killing the boss.

Enrage WW wiped all but 4 raid members :lol

What's the skill that puts a green circle on the ground with leaves rising from it?

Rapstah

Sebulon3k said:

Omicron defense looks really hectic, but fun. Couldn't really get the mechanics of Halfus Wyrmbreaker from the video, dunno what that dragon does, wonder if the HM is to keep him up while still killing the boss.

What's the skill that puts a green circle on the ground with leaves rising from it?
It procs of some kind of Druid HoT critting.

Flib

Sebulon3k said:

The green circle is Efflorescence, it's procc'd by druids using swiftmend.

Here is a description from tankspot of Halfus:

Halfus Wyrmbreaker 32.5m(10m)/115.9m(25m) health (The Bastion of Twilight) - 10-man kill video / 25-man kill video
-This boss is a largely a single target DPS race, however you can activate adds which can be killed to alleviate damage done to the raid and/or tank and make Halfus take more damage.

Loot: In the 10 man version he drops 2 epics and 70 Valor Points. In 25 man version he drops 4 epics and possibly a BoE epic as well as 900 Valor Points.

Abilities:
+ Fire Breath(name???) - This raid-wide fire damage ability is cast by a dragon behind Halfus Wyrmbreaker. Deals roughly 900(10m)/2200(25m) damage per second for 8 seconds after resists. Also has a small single target Fire Blast attack. The dragon cannot be attacked and his attacks cannot be outranged or avoided via line of sight.

+ Frenzied Assault - This ability is a buff that Halfus starts the fight with that increases his attack speed by 100%(10m)/120%(25m).

+ Melee - Halfus Wyrmbreaker's melee attacks hit for around 12-18k(10m)/15-22k(25m) after mitigation.

"Cage of Whelps" - This object can be triggered at any time to spawn ~20 Orphaned Emerald Whelps with 520k(10m)/1.8m(25m) health. These adds can then be killed to reduce raid damage from Dragon's Fire Breath and gives Halfus a debuff that increases his damage taken. They melee attack for 4-6k???(10m)/5-10k(25m) after mitigation.
+ Atrophic Aura - Triggers when these adds are spawned and reduces raid members' damage dealt by 2000.

"Nether Scion" - This object can be triggered at any time to spawn a Nether Scion with 6m???(10m)/12.7m(25m) health. This add can then be killed to remove the Frenzied Assault buff from Halfus Wyrmbreaker and gives Halfus a debuff that increases his damage taken. It's melee attacks are slow, but very hard, roughly 30-50k???(10m)/40-70k(25m) after mitigation.
+ Aura of Nether Blindness - Triggers when this add is spawned and reduces raid members' chance to hit, damage done, and attack speed by 15% until the Nether Scion is killed.

"Time Warden" - Another possible add.
+ Cyclonic Aura - Pulses an aura that interupts spell casts at a 0.75 second interval.

"Stone Drake" - Another possible add.
+ Aura of Stone - Pulses an aura at a 25 second interval that has a chance to cause raid members to gain Paralysis, making them unable to move or attack for 10 seconds and they take 3% increased damage.

+ Violent Spin - At 30%, Halfus will begin to spin violently and do ~4k(10m)/7k(25m) damage per second to everyone within melee range while constantly reseting his threat table. Currently, he is not affected from the diminishing returns of Taunt during this phase.

+ Berserk - Damage increased by 500%, attack and movement speed increased by 150%, and immune to Taunt effects. Triggered at 6 minutes into the fight.

Potential Strategy:
A relatively tight enrage timer so choose the adds which best suit your raid composition to kill off before working on Halfus Wyrmbreaker. Probably easiest to start by killing the Nether Scion (make sure to roll Healing/Mitigation CDs on the offtank) and then use strong AoE (because of the -2000 damage aura) and single target DPS on the Orphaned Emerald Whelps on top of Halfus. Once dead, focus Halfus until he is at 30% in which the raid and two tank make a 3 point triangle for the tanks to rotate taunting until he is dead. Or if he remains able to be chain taunted, a Protection Warrior with Vigilance can keep him in 1 place the entire time.

Swag

Can already tell that's going to be a pain to do Hard Mode

70 valor points vs 900 from a single boss? Isn't that too big of a gap between 10 and 25 man, Jesus.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Does this sound like my graphics card?

The game keeps freezing on the lowest of low res/gfx settings, makes a repititive sound through speakers, then the monitor loses signal until i restart.

The CPU temps go from 32c to 40c around 1875rpm. The heatsink is real loud.

Maybe both. If the northbridge fan is out for three than fuck me.

On an old pc without a heatsink, long story(ok I was young and dumb. Stuck a pencil between the fan blades to get it to shut up. God awful sound.), the desktop never dissapeared. Those temps don't seem too bad.

Graphics cards don't usually get taxed at all until higher resolutions. I would suspect your CPU if the resolution you're running at is really low.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Azwethinkweiz said:
Graphics cards don't usually get taxed at all until higher resolutions. I would suspect your CPU if the resolution you're running at is really low.
I had it at 1050 with only 1 freeze every hour last month. This week it's unplayable at 800x600.

Milpool

JPBrowncoat said:
I got a Hallowed Helm from the Horseman while my game was restarting. I saw that the healer was DC'd as well. :lol

My client crashes as soon as I mouse over the pumpkin, when I logged back in it crashed again when I moused over some Kingsblood.

Ashodin

No mount for me today. Flying Broom though!

I couldn't get the horseman's sword because I already had it. Fuck you blizz for not updating the loot this year.

Maxrpg said:
No mount for me today. Flying Broom though!

I couldn't get the horseman's sword because I already had it. Fuck you blizz for not updating the loot this year.
I don't get it...if you already have it then why do you care?

Hixx

Blizzard, why the fuck would you take one of the shittest mini-games in any game ever, then go make it ten times worse in an expansion?

Fuck you, jousting.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I couldn't tank it becuase I just DC'd 6 times in a row.

This is actually pretty bad, Blizz.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Maxrpg said:
The sacrifice to pay for all of those crying about wanting Cataclysm. I was slightly peeved that I couldn't get a new Brewfest stein, but I'd trade that if I can play as a Goblin Mage sooner rather than later.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
How to not D/C

Write macros which turn off fetching tooltips before entering, and then hit the second to turn them back on after you finish.

Turn Off Tooltips

/script GameTooltip.Temphide = function() GameTooltip:Hide() end; GameTooltip:SetScript("OnShow", GameTooltip.Temphide);

Turn On Tooltips

/script GameTooltip:SetScript("OnShow", GameTooltip.Show);

Anyone know about tanking expectations now?

I'm not sure what my prot warrior should be doing as I haven't played in about 2 years.

He has ~30k unbuffed HP and used to be at the 540 defense cap. I don't know what replaced defense on his gear now or how that worked...

If I remember correctly, I had all the heroic gear and was tanking some naxx. Does that sound right based on stats? What should I be trying to do now in order to earn points for heirloom gear?

I'd link my armory, but it doesn't seem to be working for my chars... I think because I've been inactive for so long.

Retro

mclem said:
I'd recommend HolyTrinity, made by one of the maintankadin folks. Unfortunately it had bugs early on which crippled my framerate, so I had to work without it; now it's perfectly servicable but I'm trying to retrain myself *away* from staring at my character portrait for procs to a more sensible spot.

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info18224-HolyTrinity.html

Just wanted to post that I ended up checking out all three suggested addons and decided to go with HolyTrinity. It was easier to set up, Paladin-specific, and has the louder sound effect for a full 3 HP.

Spent a good chunk of today just getting my UI the way I like it... I'm not a huge fan of the ultra-minimalistic UIs; I actually don't mind the default UI and when I can get them I prefer UI addons that use a similar art style. So, yeah... most people will gag when they see my setup...

http://oi53.tinypic.com/1zqaioz.jpg

The Yellow Bars there are how I have Trinity set up. Large gap under the chat window is my casting bar location, repetitive icons are either for training purposes (having quick click access to something until I get comfortable with my keybinds again) or placeholders for the post-80 spells.

Whew... now I can finally play the... wait, what? Tomorrow is maintenance day? Nooooooooooo! :lol

SnakeswithLasers said:
Anyone know about tanking expectations now?

I'm not sure what my prot warrior should be doing as I haven't played in about 2 years.

He has ~30k unbuffed HP and used to be at the 540 defense cap. I don't know what replaced defense on his gear now or how that worked...

I'm more familiar with Paladin tanking, but I do know that you no longer have to deal with a Defense cap; your passive abilities will automatically make you uncrittable. No more Catch-22 with the tanking gear.

30k HP sounds about right for your level of gear. A few trips to heroics (especially the ICC and Tournament) will help even things out and you should be good to go.

Have fun re-learning your class, even if you were playing last month things have still really changed.

Angry Grimace

Cc4xu.jpg

Quick and easy

Retro said:
I'm more familiar with Paladin tanking, but I do know that you no longer have to deal with a Defense cap; your passive abilities will automatically make you uncrittable. No more Catch-22 with the tanking gear.

30k HP sounds about right for your level of gear. A few trips to heroics (especially the ICC and Tournament) will help even things out and you should be good to go.

Have fun re-learning your class, even if you were playing last month things have still really changed.
Can you tell me more about what those things are? ICC = Icecrown Citadel, right? Tournament?

Also, warrior seems relatively unchanged to me as far as tanking is concerned. I mean, the rotation might be a bit different, but I still wade in, use my AoE, and then tab targets if I see "losing threat" pop up... There's probably a lot of little things that I'm missing though.

Angry Grimace

Johnlenham said:
Go nothing from my two chars, Ive a feeling this is going to end up like brewfest (fuck all) :lol
Grabbed it on Try ~8 (I started last night when the event started, but it resets at 4), plus I have 5 80s on this acct.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
SnakeswithLasers said:
Can you tell me more about what those things are? ICC = Icecrown Citadel, right? Tournament?

Also, warrior seems relatively unchanged to me as far as tanking is concerned. I mean, the rotation might be a bit different, but I still wade in, use my AoE, and then tab targets if I see "losing threat" pop up... There's probably a lot of little things that I'm missing though.

When he mentioned ICC & Tournament, he was talking about the 5 mans. There was 3 5 mans released at the same time as ICC, Forge of Souls, Pit of Saron & Halls of Reflection. While when the Tournament event was released in 3.2, there was also a new 5 man, Trial of Champions. They all drop better loot than the original heroics. The ICC 5 mans drop 219 epics in regular, and 232 epics in heroic. Trial of Champions drops 200 epics in regular & 219 in heroic.

If your warrior is kinda new, i suggest you do the regular ICC 5 mans. They are quite easy, maybe even more than some of the original heroics, but they all drop better loot. There is also less elitist jerks with 6k Gearscore that will mock you for being an "undergeared noob" there, since almost everyone who does these 5 mans are new 80s mostly.

Bisnic said:
When he mentioned ICC & Tournament, he was talking about the 5 mans. There was 3 5 mans released at the same time as ICC, Forge of Souls, Pit of Saron & Halls of Reflection. While when the Tournament event was released in 3.2, there was also a new 5 man, Trial of Champions. They all drop better loot than the original heroics. The ICC 5 mans drop 219 epics in regular, and 232 epics in heroic. Trial of Champions drops 200 epics in regular & 219 in heroic.

If your warrior is kinda new, i suggest you do the regular ICC 5 mans. Theyre are quite easy, maybe even more than the original heroics, but they all drop better loot. There is also less elitist jerks with 6k Gearscore that will mock you for being an "undergeared noob" there, since almost everyone who does these 5 mans are new 80s mostly.
Oh awesome! I'll queue up for Forge of Souls, Pit of Saron, Halls of Reflection and Trial of Champions then? I'd rather not deal with the dickhole gearscore guys, so knowing these are mostly populated by new 80s will be nice, especially since I'm a bit better geared than that, so I won't feel weak.

Bisnic

SnakeswithLasers said:
Oh awesome! I'll queue up for Forge of Souls, Pit of Saron, Halls of Reflection and Trial of Champions then? I'd rather not deal with the dickhole gearscore guys, so knowing these are mostly populated by new 80s will be nice, especially since I'm a bit better geared than that, so I won't feel weak.

Yeah, if your warrior still has a bunch of blues or ilvl 200 epics, i suggest you stick to the regular ICC 5 mans until you get everything you want from them. You'll still get Justice points from doing them(although at a slower rate than choosing random), but you still have better chance at getting upgrades than doing heroic Nexus or Violet Hold or Halls of Lightning and so on.

Dunlop

Angry Grimace said:
I couldn't tank it becuase I just DC'd 6 times in a row.

This is actually pretty bad, Blizz.

Queued for instance..didn't DC (yay!) then noticed that 3/4 other members did, left instance and got a 30 minute cooldown...logged off before bad things happened to my PC :p

I feel like I'm back at the launch of AoC

Bisnic said:
Yeah, if your warrior still has a bunch of blues or ilvl 200 epics, i suggest you stick to the regular ICC 5 mans until you get everything you want from them. You'll still get Justice points from doing them(although at a slower rate than choosing random), but you still have better chance at getting upgrades than doing heroic Nexus or Violet Hold or Halls of Lightning and so on.
Thanks man, that's really helpful. So I can expect like 50-100 points per instance? I am mainly doing this to fill out my Pally's heirloom gear for cataclysm leveling. I have arcanite reaper and shoulders from the old days--I just want to get the chest now.

Angry Grimace

Dunlop said:
Queued for instance..didn't DC (yay!) then noticed that 3/4 other members did, left instance and got a 30 minute cooldown...logged off before bad things happened to my PC :p

I feel like I'm back at the launch of AoC
The fix I posted above 100% works to prevent you from D/Cing on Horseman

Bisnic

SnakeswithLasers said:
Thanks man, that's really helpful. So I can expect like 50-100 points per instance? I am mainly doing this to fill out my Pally's heirloom gear for cataclysm leveling. I have arcanite reaper and shoulders from the old days--I just want to get the chest now.

If you really want the heirloom chest, it's better to just do randoms. You really dont get a lot of Justice points in 1 run of a reg ICC 5 mans, compared to a random instance that put you in..say heroic Culling of Stratholme.

Also, anyone in the beta... can you please confirm that they are updating the sky of the old zones at the same time as updating everything else? Because this really is shitty:

sRSOk.jpg

Flib

Bisnic said:
Also, anyone in the beta... can you please confirm that they are updating the sky of the old zones at the same time as updating everything else? Because this really is shitty:

Unfortunately, they haven't, and it really sucks since they put so much care into the old world otherwise.

Vortex Pinnacle does have the most gorgeous skybox in the game though.

notworksafe

Flib said:
Unfortunately, they haven't, and it really sucks since they put so much care into the old world otherwise.

Vortex Pinnacle does have the most gorgeous skybox in the game though.
Oooh! Are pics possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom