• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Number45

Darkmoon faire starts on Saturday for one week and you'll be able to use tokens from games to buy the looms. It looks like it'll be easier to get them from this system but I'm not 100% sure.

Nice, I've never actually done anything to do with the DMF. My Hunter is 83 though, I assume that's OK? I don't enjoy my Hunter at all, so if I can get what I need from something other than running Heroics then I'll be a happy chappy.

TGMIII

I'd assume you should be fine getting tickets from the games but you might not be able to do the quests.

is it sad that I'm actually kinda hyped for the darkmoon faire?

I'm hyped that I don't have to do PVP or heroics and rely on people not being braindead to get the rest of the heirlooms.

Number45

Well, at the insane rate I seem to be levelling it won't be long after Saturday (if at all) that I'm 85 so I shouldn't worry too much.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Yeah i didnt think the new 5 mans would be as easy as some people said, but they really are. I barely had to heal during the 2nd boss of Hour of Twilight. Smoke bombs and 2 sec silences once in a while with little to no damage coming from her? I mean really now.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah i didnt think the new 5 mans would be as easy as some people said, but they really are. I barely had to heal during the 2nd boss of Hour of Twilight. Smoke bombs and 2 sec silences once in a while with little to no damage coming from her? I mean really now.

I've had totally competent seeming tanks that just stand in them.

So the ending cinematic posted on MMOChamp...

Meh.

Cataclysm definitely had a weaker story than either BC or WotLK. I'd give Vanilla more of a pass for being the base game, but even that was somewhat more interesting, with lots of new story threads and many that created some mystery and intrigue and were untapped for awhile (or are still untapped.)

I definitely think that qualitatively (mechanics and story, though especially the latter), Cataclysm was the weakest expansion yet. Both BC and Wrath had flaws, yes, but Cataclysm has had a much greater proportion of flaws to successes (at least in my eyes.)
Expansion in general was the weakest one for sure. There simply was less to do.

Miletius

We got Transmog and the revamp of the old world. I thin Raid Finder will also be one of those things that people will remember fondly too. But I agree that Cataclysm was the worst expansion by far. It just really lacked the innovative spark that Wrath and BC had until 4.3. We finally get a couple of cool things at the end of it all.

marcurius

Anyone have a clue on how much longer you can get that anniversary achievement and whatever it was that you got an xp boost from? Gonna have to subscribe for a month to get that xp boost thing on all my characters if I haven't already missed it, in case I ever wanna play again.

Bisnic

Anyone have a clue on how much longer you can get that anniversary achievement and whatever it was that you got an xp boost from? Gonna have to subscribe for a month to get that xp boost thing on all my characters if I haven't already missed it, in case I ever wanna play again.

I think it ends this weekend. But im not sure if the item that give the 7% XP+Rep bonus will continue to work after that since it says "Require WoW 7th anniversary" in the description.

Alex

I thought Cata opened super well, the up front content and variety was good, although certain features (tol bard, archeology,) were really shitty and caused problems with variety going forward.

Dear lord did it face plant post-launch though. Too much time spent on the old world, sharing staff with Titan, something went down bad and it hung over the head of the expansion the entire time. Bout the time they delayed 4.2 under the guise of not enough people doing hard modes is about where it fell apart for me.

Also; fuck daily hubs forever. Daily quests in this game absolutely catapult me right to the subscription cancel page.

Bisnic

Also; fuck daily hubs forever. Daily quests in this game absolutely catapult me right to the subscription cancel page.

But every expansions had those, BC had Isle of Queldanas, WOTLK had the Argent Tournament and Cataclysm had Molten Front.

So you went to the cancel subscription page quite often i presume. :p

Dunlop

Dear lord did it face plant post-launch though. Too much time spent on the old world, sharing staff with Titan, something went down bad and it hung over the head of the expansion the entire time. Bout the time they delayed 4.2 under the guise of not enough people doing hard modes is about where it fell apart for me.

The way they nerfed firelands whan 4.3 was still so far off did it for me. I missed our guild Nef run that week because I had to work, but still managed to do the whole instance with a bunch of alts from various guilds. I have never been so underwhelmed to beat an end raid boss.

Alex

But every expansions had those, BC had Isle of Queldanas, WOTLK had the Argent Tournament and Cataclysm had Molten Front.

I actually did! It's always around the time of the shitty daily hub I burn out. COINCIDENCE!?

Deathwing is kind of an interesting fight with the way the stages ramp up in difficulty, but I'm not very excited about another few months of trying to kill another 15-20 minute fight on heroic.

55234753-profilemain.jpg

Low res robes suck!

Duki

Banned
fuckin lol @ that ending

thank fuck
they got rid of the dragons though, dear god theyve been nothing but boring and shitty for so long

next get rid of the old gods plz

Alex

Tyrande has the same voice actress? She doesn't even sound like the same from WoW let alone WC3, it's so funny how awful it is

Also, they should do CG endings for their last fights. In game assets are cool but when you're murdering off your major characters do it with some style. Still would've been lame no matter with the way they sent their poster boy Arthas out. They sure lost the plot since TFT.

Cipherr

The SWOTR beta made want to resub to WoW, amazingly. :p

Am I correct in assuming it's pointless to farm FL gear once 4.3 hits?

Out of slight depression, me too. I was really hoping SWTOR would be up my alley, or that Planetside 2 would be out by now, but everything is falling short, I'm probably going to re-sub, and at least level my mage thats sitting at 82 to 85, so that I can see the zones.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Saw the ending cinematic on MMO Champ as well, and totally agree. The thing is just terrible. I've always skipped over story in WoW because it's such utter crap, but this was horrible.

Can't say I'm terribly zazzed about the difficulty of the new heroics either. They're just loot pinatas. I still have to gear up my mage a bit more to try LFR, so I'm hoping that will prove moderately interesting. Maybe I was justified in thinking the thing I'll probably like most about 4.3 is the Darkmoon Faire. It's certainly shaping up that way so far.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Man, I feel so bad. I was healing a Well of Eternity and I got the biggest troll ever. I voted to kick him, and then realized I kicked the other guy he was trolling.

/fail

Feels bad man

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
fuckin lol @ that ending

thank fuck
they got rid of the dragons though, dear god theyve been nothing but boring and shitty for so long

next get rid of the old gods plz

i dont think they are getting rid of them. Just that the
five Aspects are no longer gods or immortal or whatever.

Ending cinematic wasnt so great. i think the dialogue would have worked better as a narration. Like if the whole Cataclysm story was presented in a retelling of the legend from a narrator in the future.

And really what was the story of Cataclysm? All i know is that for some reason Deathwing goes apeshit and thats it. Maybe its fleshed out more in the raids?

TheYanger

Ulduar was better, but ICC was still a high quality raid.

ICC was a high quality raid marred by the fact that it was gated on NORMAL modes and not heroics, and that 11 of the bosses were tuned perfectly for 0% buff and lich king was perfect for like a 20-30% buff for your average guild (I maintain MOST guilds would've gotten 11/12 at a good pace had the buff not existed). It made the instance really fun at first, then totally brickwalled at LK for a month or two while the rest just fell into complete lulz. It was just as bad as firelands nerfs in that regard.

Angry Grimace

What I don't understand is what the fuck all this means about the Infinite Dragonflight's purpose; why was Murozond even an asshole again?

So he apparently is going on about how kickass the End Time is or some shit; but then why the fuck was he trying to kill Arthas prior to becoming to the LK? And wtf was the purpose of all the shit with Black Morass?

Edit: According to Wowpedia, they just wanted to change time for no apparent reason at all other than Murozond is crazy; i.e. Murozond didn't want to be Murozond, so he decides to randomly cause problems assuming that won't make him Murozond somehow. It doesn't follow for me.

Alex

World of Warcraft just has so little human factor to most of its main plot. Faceless dieties, titans, dragons, etc, the game makes you feel meager and you just can't relate to it. Even when they bust out the old cast it's missing all of the charm and nuance. It was at least serviceable in BC though, no further characterization was really made but at least it didn't feel cheap and pandering like it does now with its faux cool factor. (SC2 suffered from this too, IMO)

Ulduar was the last dungeon or raid I ever actually paid any attention to, everything in there was so great. Questing is still mostly fine, though the best stuff in Cataclysm questing was the 1-60 fare. The Naga stuff in Vashjir and the Dwarf stuff in Twilight Highlands did strike a chord with me, though. I wish Deepholm wasn't so damned boring, I like the visuals there.

markot

Banned
Characters keep getting more and more powerful. Its stupid. Super Saiyanification >.<

Back in warcraft rts, at least the first 2! they were powerful, but not super imba power of a million suns crap that we see these days >.<

Big bads are defeated by characters that have to keep getting more and more powerful.

With TBC, it was a team of dudes, that broken dude and that NE chick, more powerful than most helped out by raiders, taking out Illidan.

Now its Thrall + Dragons siphing their power through him or some crap taking down a dragon that could eat cities >.<, and for some reason didnt do crap and just waited then say on a temple...

Its kind of like the characters themselves have had their own 'gear inflation'.

The lore in this game keeps getting worse, its kinda sad. You still find good stories in zones and quests, but so much of the 'big' lore is just >_>; I mean, that final cinematic made me want to barf...

Its kinda sad, I liked the story in vash, and it just ends in that 5 man >_<; its like... what next? What happens?! I thought the neptulon + naga stuff was so much more interesting than the deathwing stuff personally.

Kinda wish Metzen would retire and some one else took over >.<

Bisnic

Yeah i kinda liked the end of Vashjir with the big war of Nagas vs Nepturion's army. Sad that they had to abandon that story, would have been nice to get some Vashjir raid in 4.1 on top of the troll heroics, even if it was just a 1 boss raid.

Won

I hope we can avoid this story stuff with MoP not having a big bad. The overarching expansion story thing doesn't seem to work.

I hope we can avoid this story stuff with MoP not having a big bad. The overarching expansion story thing doesn't seem to work.

It's fine, but Cataclysm didn't really have a story, compared to BC and Wrath. If there's one thing Cataclysm lacked, it was cohesion.

I think it's fair to say that the Cataclysm was mostly an excuse to revamp the old world, rather than a legitimate progression of story.

marcurius

I think it ends this weekend. But im not sure if the item that give the 7% XP+Rep bonus will continue to work after that since it says "Require WoW 7th anniversary" in the description.
That makes sense. Oh well, resubbed anyway to play around with the new patch a litte.

How is the new raid so far, I haven't gotten to try it yet.

Fairly boring and easy. We one shot 3 of the first 5 bosses and the other ones didn't take long either. The only one that was a bit rough was Ultraxion, mainly because one tank kept using DBM to time Fading Light. We plan to finish it up on Sunday.

mclem

BC had Skyguard, Ogri'la and Netherwing, too. They went a bit nuts with the first implementations of dailies!

Still, I just view them as optional. They're there if I'm in the mood for some questing, they'll wait if I'm not. There's no obligation to participate (except for each expansion's ones for shoulder enchants)

mclem

Ulduar was the only interesting raid in Wrath. Get the fuck out.

ICC was good too, but I think Ulduar's the finest raid I ever managed to complete while it was relevant. For my generation of raiders (who never got to the top-level content in vanilla), it's the equivalent of Original Naxx, I think.

mclem

Fairly boring and easy. We one shot 3 of the first 5 bosses and the other ones didn't take long either. The only one that was a bit rough was Ultraxion, mainly because one tank kept using DBM to time Fading Light. We plan to finish it up on Sunday.
I think the mechanics are pretty interesting in all the bosses I've done (I'm where you are, although we've not quite downed Ultraxion), but they could afford to be more demanding on the players. I think the heroic versions of those fights will be pretty enjoyable... and brutal.

TGMIII

I think the mechanics are pretty interesting in all the bosses I've done (I'm where you are, although we've not quite downed Ultraxion), but they could afford to be more demanding on the players. I think the heroic versions of those fights will be pretty enjoyable... and brutal.

They aren't really. I healed it last night (holy priest) with a few friends and me and the tank were pretty undergeared, the tank would take INSANE amounts of damage due to the shitty gear and I'd have to blow a lot of mana to stabilize him. Apart from getting used to that we wiped on the first boss only because someone mistakenly walked through the beams and we didn't have enough DPS to kill the ring of guys closing in and once on the 2nd boss because I messed up.

The fight with the hourglass was really fun though, blizzard should really do more fights like that.

Miletius

They aren't really. I healed it last night (holy priest) with a few friends and me and the tank were pretty undergeared, the tank would take INSANE amounts of damage due to the shitty gear and I'd have to blow a lot of mana to stabilize him. Apart from getting used to that we wiped on the first boss only because someone mistakenly walked through the beams and we didn't have enough DPS to kill the ring of guys closing in and once on the 2nd boss because I messed up.

The fight with the hourglass was really fun though, blizzard should really do more fights like that.

I think he's talking about the raid, not the 5 mans. The mechanics are interesting on the 5 mans but the bosses probably need more HP so that the fight lasts a bit longer at the very least.

Angry Grimace

It's a catch-22; if you made it challenging for players who were 6/7H or 391 geared (which a lot of guilds reached after the big nerfs), then the players who still couldn't beat FL at all (which was a substantial number, most groups) couldn't beat anything in DS at all.

Let me add how happy I am that they added in the Seasons 1-3 sets so I don't have to farm out Tier gear for the characters I have that want to use Tier 4-6 in transmog.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hey guys, just wanna plop my head in here and say that 4.3 is fucking amazing. I loved 4.1, skipped 4.2 because the troll instances were so bad that I wanted to ignore WoW for that whole content and now I'm back in 4.3. LOVE IT.

Angry Grimace

fuck does that have to do with literally the entire plot of the game, when anything bad happens in the world, being "old god did it"

its literally terrible

As opposed to figuratively terrible amirite

But really, Old Gods are stupid Lovecraft rip-offs they should have abandoned as major villians after C'thun

th3dude

Question for you guys:

My friend and I added each other as RealID friends in-game, but I can't seem to find him or his characters on battle.net like I can for normal WoW friends. Is this possible?

Bisnic

Hey guys, just wanna plop my head in here and say that 4.3 is fucking amazing. I loved 4.1, skipped 4.2 because the troll instances were so bad that I wanted to ignore WoW for that whole content and now I'm back in 4.3. LOVE IT.

That doesnt even make sense. You loved 4.1 and think the troll were so bad that you skipped 4.2? When the troll instances were introduced in 4.1?

Angry Grimace

That doesnt even make sense. You loved 4.1 and think the troll were so bad that you skipped 4.2? When the troll instances were introduced in 4.1?

I think you get what he means. 4.1 and 4.2 were only really separate patches in fantasy Blizzard land.

Top Bottom