• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

aristotle

If you think this isn't a great help you're stupid.

There's no way anyone could compile the information at these websites in a OP. SWTOR resource sites are very limited right now.

People are always willing to answer questions and have.

Thanks for comment about my mental abilities. I've read a lot more than just this forum. Unless you've been around for a long time, most of these acronyms are hard to come by.

LFR= I have no idea
LK = No idea again
H 6/7 Guild= Yet again no idea.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Wow you're a great help!
Note: That was internet sarcasm.

But really, why isn't the OP updated at all? Other OTs do it. It saves alot of questions for newcomers and can be a good resource to disseminate new information about the game.

Because the OP wasn't even made by a WoW player. Well, he never post in here anyway(just read his 2nd post about a dungeon lol)

As for your question : LFR : Looking for Raid, LK : Lich King and H 6/7 guild : a guild who killed 6 of the 7 bosses in a heroic raid(H = heroic).

There is hundreds of acronyms anyway, putting them all in the OP would be worthless. You just learn them by experience or by simply asking like everyone did.

The OP isn't updated for newcomers because there aren't that many newcomers anymore. This is a game that just recently celebrated its 7th anniversary. There are many other resources out there, like the ones linked, that do a much better job informing people about the game than one one post on NeoGAF could do. It's simply not worth the time it would take to make one.

And besides, back when the original thread was created, we didn't do all of these over the top bullshit OPs with marketing info and information overload.

Asking specific shouldn't be a problem within the confines of the thread.
LFR = Looking for Raid difficulty
LK = Lich King, the main boss for this game for years and years until we killed him a couple years ago
H6/7 means the guild has completed six out of the seven encounters in a particular raid in the heroic difficulty

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Thanks for comment about my mental abilities. I've read a lot more than just this forum. Unless you've been around for a long time, most of these acronyms are hard to come by.

LFR= I have no idea
LK = No idea again
H 6/7 Guild= Yet again no idea.

http://www.wowpedia.org/LFR
Looking For Raid. Raid Finder.
http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&s...w.,cf.osb&fp=c28427c902817554&biw=810&bih=430
Lich King
I should have added: http://www.wowprogress.com/
6/7 Heroic bosses killed. Endgame Raid Progression.

No one is going to deny a n00b an answer or get mad at them for asking simple questions. These forums don't move fast enough.

People were actually reminiscing about being a n00b earlier cause it's been a few weeks or a month.

aristotle

Because the OP wasn't even made by a WoW player. Well, he never post in here anyway(just read his 2nd post about a dungeon lol)

As for your question : LFR : Looking for Raid, LK : Lich King and H 6/7 guild : a guild who killed 6 of the 7 bosses in a heroic raid(H = heroic).

There is hundreds of acronyms anyway, putting them all in the OP would be worthless. You just learn them by experience or by simply asking like everyone did.

Hah. I have no idea who's active anymore. I didn't know it wasn't made by a frequent player. That sucks. Thanks for the acronym help ;)

I know putting all of them in the OP would be overkill, but a few commonly used ones wouldn't hurt a bit.

The OP isn't updated for newcomers because there aren't that many newcomers anymore. This is a game that just recently celebrated its 7th anniversary. There are many other resources out there, like the ones linked, that do a much better job informing people about the game than one one post on NeoGAF could do. It's simply not worth the time it would take to make one.

And besides, back when the original thread was created, we didn't do all of these over the top bullshit OPs with marketing info and information overload.

Asking specific shouldn't be a problem within the confines of the thread.
LFR = Looking for Raid difficulty
LK = Lich King, the main boss for this game for years and years until we killed him a couple years ago
H6/7 means the guild has completed six out of the seven encounters in a particular raid in the heroic difficulty

The over-the-top OT are pure crap. Sorry to those that waste their time making them. I meant more for straight information.

That's what sucks about being new to such an long on-going game. I figured most of what people were talking about were end-game raids, but I wasn't sure. The official forums are rarely any help either. Even the newcomers forum is overrun with people running alts and lvl 85s.

http://www.wowpedia.org/LFR
Looking For Raid. Raid Finder.
http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&s...w.,cf.osb&fp=c28427c902817554&biw=810&bih=430
Lich King
I should have added: http://www.wowprogress.com/
6/7 Heroic bosses killed. Endgame Raid Progression.

No one is going to deny a n00b an answer or get mad at them for asking simple questions. These forums don't move fast enough.

People were actually reminiscing about being a n00b earlier cause it's been a few weeks or a month.

I don't think I was clear but I was just joking around with you. I thought LK was something else entirely since until GAF, I've always seen it referred to as WotLK. I thought LFR was the name of a raid/dungeon :X Oh well, c'est la vie and all that jazz.

Don't take my snide/sarcastic comments as anything other than poor attempts at humor. Please!

I do appreciate all the help I've gotten in here already. It's helped me through a few stumbles already.

BTW, that dungeon I ran into 2 days ago that got me killed 5-10 times in a row? Yeah now I can almost solo it. Although once I get to the turtles I get wiped. I did complete 2 quests down there already and I'm tough enough now to get even further if I tried. I really wish things like a dungeon would actually say "Warning: Elite/high lvl shit! You will die!" When you're first starting out. Being lvl 24 and getting crapped on by monsters of a similar level sucks when you didn't know before you walked in there.

th3dude

I don't think I was clear but I was just joking around with you. I thought LK was something else entirely since until GAF, I've always seen it referred to as WotLK. I thought LFR was the name of a raid/dungeon :X Oh well, c'est la vie and all that jazz.

Don't take my snide/sarcastic comments as anything other than poor attempts at humor. Please!

I've only been playing a few months, myself, and I've found this forum to be very helpful. Sure, there are lots of terms and acronyms, but like others have said, it's an old community and that happens.

For example, WotLK and LK are indeed, in my opinion, different. WotLK refers to the expansion 'Wrath of the Lich King' while LK refers to the Lich King himself.

Also as others have mentioned, have WowPedia and Wowhead and others up at all times. Really. They have answers to everything you'd ever need. No need for us to recreate the wheel and copy/paste it all here. It's just too much.

TheYanger

I'm all for progressive nerfing of content, but it needs to happen in a timely manner. Firelands was a bad taste, it got nerfed WAY too soon, such that for most guilds the only challenging boss was Rag. I thought the initial difficulty tuning was perfect, people would actually spend more than a night on fights like Alysrazor and Baleroc the way it was. Then they just slashed Baleroc and Majordomo like...week 4? something ridiculous like that. And the rest in very short order after. The 5% for DS doesn't feel too soon necessarily, but it certainly is putting a cramp on me personally. We've got basically 4 raid nights to kill spine and madness before it gets nerfed :/ Really hoping it'll happen! Spine feels very doable for us right now.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Yeah that's what it means. I'm not too all mad about it, I should have known better. But gold isn't worth as much now as it was before, and I took a chance to save 150+ cash and it didn't pay off. Was worth a shot anyway. And since school started back up it might be the kick in the face to not play this game much. So it kind of works out.

Sorry man. I got 6k scammed from me once because it's an amazing deal. 78k in a year is nothing. But as far as I'm concerned it's too good to be true.

I just got a fraudulent charge on my debit card. They are going to refund it, but just be glad you're not getting ripped off from hard earned money.

Also, think about it this way. You got scammed out of about 200g a day for a year which is nothing. Repair bills can cost that.

I do appreciate all the help I've gotten in here already. It's helped me through a few stumbles already.

BTW, that dungeon I ran into 2 days ago that got me killed 5-10 times in a row? Yeah now I can almost solo it. Although once I get to the turtles I get wiped. I did complete 2 quests down there already and I'm tough enough now to get even further if I tried. I really wish things like a dungeon would actually say "Warning: Elite/high lvl shit! You will die!" When you're first starting out. Being lvl 24 and getting crapped on by monsters of a similar level sucks when you didn't know before you walked in there.

I was a bit of an ass, but we are here to help.

I'm all for progressive nerfing of content, but it needs to happen in a timely manner. Firelands was a bad taste, it got nerfed WAY too soon, such that for most guilds the only challenging boss was Rag. I thought the initial difficulty tuning was perfect, people would actually spend more than a night on fights like Alysrazor and Baleroc the way it was. Then they just slashed Baleroc and Majordomo like...week 4? something ridiculous like that. And the rest in very short order after. The 5% for DS doesn't feel too soon necessarily, but it certainly is putting a cramp on me personally. We've got basically 4 raid nights to kill spine and madness before it gets nerfed :/ Really hoping it'll happen! Spine feels very doable for us right now.

Yeah, we've got about the same number of raid nights to down Warmaster before the nerf. Given the initial difficulty of Spine and our normal rate of progression I won't feel too bad if we don't down it until after nerfs. (Then again, nothing really feels like it needs nerfs just yet.)

Although with the nerfs we'll almost certainly down Madness at some point. Prior to Firelands the only time we'd finished a real tier on time was 25h anub, but I guess from here on out Blizzard will be hooking us up with final boss kills every tier.

SRTtoZ

Its a sad day for me...I am about to resub after a 6 month hiatus and agree to a year sub for some free Diablo + other perks. GO MEEEEEEE

Chris R

Whelp, back on the wagon. I'd join the gaf guild (and still might, IDK) if character transfers were a bit cheaper :| 8 * 25 is 200. And think I have another account with some dudes on it too, just lost the authenticator for that one.

Performance on my MBA isn't as bad as I thought it would be (other than the fan noise). Now to decide which of my 80s I want to play and go have some fun with the new content... or reroll on Area 52.

edit: SRTtoZ me too! My Hiatus was more like 14 months though.

SRTtoZ

Whelp, back on the wagon. I'd join the gaf guild (and still might, IDK) if character transfers were a bit cheaper :| 8 * 25 is 200. And think I have another account with some dudes on it too, just lost the authenticator for that one.

Performance on my MBA isn't as bad as I thought it would be (other than the fan noise). Now to decide which of my 80s I want to play and go have some fun with the new content... or reroll on Area 52.

Leveling is so easy nowadays that id just make a new character on a different server instead of paying real money. Oh btw I'm on Kil'Jaeden if anyone cares lol.

edit: rhfb lol yea, I was thinking about coming back because I really got bored with my ps3 and 360 since I beat every game I had but when I saw the FREE Diablo 3 + mount + beta it pretty much sealed the deal for me.

C.Dark.DN

Banned

edit: SRTtoZ me too! My Hiatus was more like 14 months though.
Never transfer more than 1 character until you know the guild is going to be around for a while and you're doing what you want out of the guild. Raiding, PVPing.

That can be hard if a profession on one works well with some the other 7 alts you have.

I found leveling an alt was the best option for the GAF guild. I've haven't played in 2 months but I got it from 1-80 quickly. I was thinking about putting JC on it because if I ever transfer it to be with my other 5 85's two JC's getting patterns in MOP will be great. Assuming they keep the pattern system. More than one Alch can never hurt.

Chris R

Leveling is so easy nowadays that id just make a new character on a different server.

Yea I know, I just have 5 different 80s with a ton of stuff on them just sitting there ready for me to use :|

Plus I haven't even decided which class I wanted to play... Decisions decisions.

SRTtoZ

I was thinking one of the following (Shaman/Warrior/Druid/Paladin and maybe Hunter)

I've had every class at max level at some point in my various accounts except for a warlock and a paladin.

Same as me...Every time I try to level a Pally I start rethinking my decision at about level 70 or so, its just so boring to me (Healing/tanking). Shaman, Warriors and Druids are my favorite by far because of the versatility. In the beginning of Cata Healing blew but they fixed it a good amount in 4.2 and now its not a constant stress fest to keep your tank topped off.

Chris R

So one thing I'm wondering, how do I mail Battle.Net account bound items? Just going through all the different characters I have on my account and checking them out gear wise, I found a bunch of heirlooms.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
So one thing I'm wondering, how do I mail Battle.Net account bound items? Just going through all the different characters I have on my account and checking them out gear wise, I found a bunch of heirlooms.
Go to the mailbox and type in the character name on the same server, either faction.

Chris R

You can only mail bound to account items to characters on the same server. You can also mail them cross-faction. No cross-realm mailing.

They shouldn't call it "Battle.Net account bound" then :| Made me think I could just mail it to any/all characters on my account.

I guess I'll bring over a character after all, those heirlooms are pretty cool (and I'd be not broke too).

mackattk

Well looks like my account got completely banned. The gold I didn't really care too much about, but being locked out of my account that I have had since like 2008 sucks.

Anyway, I tried to do an account recovery thing, see what happens with that, its worth a shot.

SRTtoZ

Well looks like my account got completely banned. The gold I didn't really care too much about, but being locked out of my account that I have had since like 2008 sucks.

Anyway, I tried to do an account recovery thing, see what happens with that, its worth a shot.

Well what did you do to deserve the ban?? If it was hacked and THEN banned you can recover it just by calling them.

Sciz

Any tips on how to ensure that Thrall doesn't occasionally forget to catch you when moving between platforms on Madness? Losing people to the depths for no good reason is starting to piss my raid off.

Any tips on how to ensure that Thrall doesn't occasionally forget to catch you when moving between platforms on Madness? Losing people to the depths for no good reason is starting to piss my raid off.

I died to this on the first jump in my first and only Madness kill in LFR.

;_;

That mechanic (it's elsewhere in the game too) can be so faulty.

idlewild_

They shouldn't call it "Battle.Net account bound" then :| Made me think I could just mail it to any/all characters on my account.

I guess I'll bring over a character after all, those heirlooms are pretty cool (and I'd be not broke too).

The idea is that if you have multiple accounts on the same b.net id, you can email the boa items between characters on different accounts. Kind of sucks, but hopefully they're working on it :/

aristotle

Ok since this Sunday starts a new holiday (Lunar Festival), will I be able to do any of it since I'm not even lvl 40 yet? I assume I won't be able to which really does bite. Also I'm kind of stuck in the Darnassus region (Ashenvale, Dark Shore, etc.) without a flying mount.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Ok since this Sunday starts a new holiday (Lunar Festival), will I be able to do any of it since I'm not even lvl 40 yet? I assume I won't be able to which really does bite. Also I'm kind of stuck in the Darnassus region (Ashenvale, Dark Shore, etc.) without a flying mount.

You can do a a few quests:
http://www.wowhead.com/guide=26/lunar-festival-january-23-february-13

The main part of the festival is traveling to pretty much every zone in the game and finding elders to honor. Doing that at 40 isn't practical.

aristotle

You can do a a few quests:
http://www.wowhead.com/guide=26/lunar-festival-january-23-february-13

The main part of the festival is traveling to pretty much every zone in the game and finding elders to honor. Doing that at 40 isn't practical.

Yeah that's what I figured. I was reading about it on Wowinsider. It's too bad lower level people can't really take part in these things. That's the main thing holding me back from doing an alt. I don't really want to have to lvl back up to take part in the events, although DKs would make it easier I assume.

Bisnic

I died to this on the first jump in my first and only Madness kill in LFR.

;_;

That mechanic (it's elsewhere in the game too) can be so faulty.

Happened to me once, and i've seen a few people in LFR dying because of that too. Now i always jump when going from platform rather than walking on the waves...just hoping if that even help or not.

Hey guys, question about Looking for Raid:

If the looting is similar to a dungeon, can people Need on gear that they do not need or have BiS equivalent of? I can see this being a serious problem in LFR Cross Realm where there will be instances of people rolling Need (ie. Rogue Needing a Tanking Ring) and then putting it in the chat for trade/sale.

Does this happen? Are GMs responsive or active in policing issues like this?

Hey guys, question about Looking for Raid:

If the looting is similar to a dungeon, can people Need on gear that they do not need or have BiS equivalent of? I can see this being a serious problem in LFR Cross Realm where there will be instances of people rolling Need (ie. Rogue Needing a Tanking Ring) and then putting it in the chat for trade/sale.

Does this happen? Are GMs responsive or active in policing issues like this?

It's the same but primary role gets a +100 bonus to all rolls. So a rogue could roll need on it, but if a tank rolled need, he'd get a +100 bonus to the roll.

It's the same but primary role gets a +100 bonus to all rolls. So a rogue could roll need on it, but if a tank rolled need, he'd get a +100 bonus to the roll.

So the gear is tagged for role (tank, dps, heal)?

Hmmm, I could see this getting difficult for pairing like Rogue vs Druid Tank or Paladin CTC capping tank vs Plate DPS. Also, trinkets can be a bit ambiguous.

idlewild_

rogues cannot roll need on +str items. a plate dps could, but if it is flagged as a tank item then the tank would get a +100 role bonus. notable, though, is the fact that all plate tanks/dps can roll on gurthalak and all plate tanks/dps can roll on souldrinker, so the weapons can be a crapshoot. also sucks when moonkin/ele roll on agi items and win them since they get the +100 role bonus for being dps and vice versa.

edit: there aren't really any ambiguous trinkets in DS - maybe kinda sorta wrath of unchaining, not sure if it's any good for feral tanks. also, there is no "tanking" leather gear, hit/exp/mastery is fair game for everyone.

Bisnic

Speaking of LFR...yesterday the last boss dropped 2 Agility polearms made only for druids and hunters.... and our group had 1 druid and 0 hunter.

FUUUUUUU

rogues cannot roll need on +str items. a plate dps could, but if it is flagged as a tank item then the tank would get a +100 role bonus. notable, though, is the fact that all plate tanks/dps can roll on gurthalak and all plate tanks/dps can roll on souldrinker, so the weapons can be a crapshoot. also sucks when moonkin/ele roll on agi items and win them since they get the +100 role bonus for being dps and vice versa.

edit: there aren't really any ambiguous trinkets in DS - maybe kinda sorta wrath of unchaining, not sure if it's any good for feral tanks. also, there is no "tanking" leather gear, hit/exp/mastery is fair game for everyone.

No distinction between ranged/caster/melee DPS?

This could cause problems. However, I just noticed that newer gear does not have socket bonuses that are role specific which is great! (ie. Parry/Dodge bonus)

I think that some sort of player rating system should be put to use - I'm not game dev so I don't know how to make it work, but I think that accountability is something to be desired in loot based MMORPGs.

Speaking of LFR...yesterday the last boss dropped 2 Agility polearms made only for druids and hunters.... and our group had 1 druid and 0 hunter.

FUUUUUUU

Yeah, wtf is up with this? No algorithms for proper loot population? Come on Blizzard, you're the best in the business...

Chris R

Ok last dumb ass question from me for some time.

Why doesn't the game client require me to use my authenticator any more when I log in? Does it have something stored on my computer that says this has been authenticated, don't bother asking for it again?

Hey, WoW-Gaf, forever a lurker, first time poster. Been playing SWTOR since release, was loving it, and now quitting because of 1.1... so I'll be returning to WoW. I've read on numerous occasions that there are wow-gaffers on MG-Horde and that happens to be my realm as well!

so I was wondering if anyone wanted to PvP / LFR / anything together ? : )

Names -
Cupcakecaptn - 85 rogue
Lexikoon - 85 prot warrior (yes.. I tank!)

idlewild_

Ok last dumb ass question from me for some time.

Why doesn't the game client require me to use my authenticator any more when I log in? Does it have something stored on my computer that says this has been authenticated, don't bother asking for it again?

it only asks you sporadically if you're logging in from the same place, it will ask you for the authenticator again after a while, mine usually pops up about once a week.

Bisnic

Yeah, wtf is up with this? No algorithms for proper loot population? Come on Blizzard, you're the best in the business...

Random loot is random, but they should at least try to balance the groups. Having 0 hunters in one group and 8 mages in the other? I mean, seriously... they did it with 5 mans, why not 25 mans?

Hey, WoW-Gaf, forever a lurker, first time poster. Been playing SWTOR since release, was loving it, and now quitting because of 1.1... so I'll be returning to WoW. I've read on numerous occasions that there are wow-gaffers on MG-Horde and that happens to be my realm as well!

so I was wondering if anyone wanted to PvP / LFR / anything together ? : )

Names -
Cupcakecaptn - 85 rogue
Lexikoon - 85 prot warrior (yes.. I tank!)

I think there's a google doc with all the GAF users that has their character names and servers.

I think there's a google doc with all the GAF users that has their character names and servers.

thanks, I'll look for it and check it out D: I also wanted to leave a post telling people I was available for play because I didn't want to come off as a creep or something by randomly messaging people!

Chris R

thanks, I'll look for it and check it out D: I also wanted to leave a post telling people I was available for play because I didn't want to come off as a creep or something by randomly messaging people!

That is the best way though, later tonight someone in the gaf guild on Area 52 should be receiving several messages from my new characters!

That is the best way though, later tonight someone in the gaf guild on Area 52 should be receiving several messages from my new characters!

Area 52 is where gaf is currently located, yes? How many people are apart of it atm? and lastly, what is the goal of the guild? PvE, PvP... RP? :p

also, I see that on OT2 Evilore posted the submission form / viewable spreadsheet in the OT..

but it looks like both of which have been taken down / deleted ?

spreadsheet : https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AksA4mL97JhZdGFjTnRuRlRpV0RUOWVBLThwZUZqLWc&hl=en&single=true&gid=0&output=html

submission form: https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dGFjTnRuRlRpV0RUOWVBLThwZUZqLWc6MQ#gid=0

Entropia

No One Remembers
Area 52 is where gaf is currently located, yes? How many people are apart of it atm? and lastly, what is the goal of the guild? PvE, PvP... RP? :p

also, I see that on OT2 Evilore posted the submission form / viewable spreadsheet in the OT..

spreadsheet : https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AksA4mL97JhZdGFjTnRuRlRpV0RUOWVBLThwZUZqLWc&hl=en&single=true&gid=0&output=html

submission form: https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dGFjTnRuRlRpV0RUOWVBLThwZUZqLWc6MQ#gid=0

Weird, not sure who submitted those in the first place. SHame they got taken down.

We have a guild on the Area 52 server called <NeoGAF Believe>, there's a small handful of us that are actually active on that server though. We only have 11 level 85 players at the moment. We don't raid or anything, we just log on and play. It's a total casual thing, so don't expect it to be bustling and popping all hours of the day.

C.Dark.DN

Banned

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=449531
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/guild/area-52/NeoGAF Believe/roster?sort=lvl&dir=a

As Entropia said it's a casual guild without raiding right now.

Everyone who isn't in the guild are just on different servers in guilds with friends or whatever. There may or may not be a raiding spot if you xfered to play with them.

Top Bottom