• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Ultratech

well all the dailies yes, for about a month, since you need the marks to open up more of them

Yeah, that's what I'm doing right now.

You basically do a bunch of dailies and get Marks of the World Tree to open up the Molten Front and get more dailies there. From there, you go through a few phases getting Marks to open more stuff and quests. You generally need like 125-150 marks to move forward for each phase. Once you really get going, you're getting like 25-30 marks a day and making a nice bit of money while you're at it. So it's kinda slow for a while, but starts to pick up once you get into the later phases.

But you're supposed to get the mount from an achievement that comes after you've completed all phases of the Molten Front.

Naka

It makes sense. Those are supposed to be gold sinks, their entire design is to pull gold out of the economy. I would have been more surprised if any of those were account wide.

Realistically though, what percentage of people do you think spend the gold to have more than 1 of either of those mounts?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I just saw that list. Class mounts I can understand but the rest is pure bullshit.

The profession based mounts never worked anyways. I would try to mount up on my helicopter on a random pre-made and it would fail for lack of Engineering skill.

idlewild_

Realistically though, what percentage of people do you think spend the gold to have more than 1 of either of those mounts?

quite a few do already. but think how little 10-20k gold is in cata's economy. then imagine what it will be like in MoP. these mounts are meant as gold sinks, they're going to be cheap enough next expansion without also being applied account wide.

going by the (possibly incorrect,) numbers for the panthers in MoP, the cost for the most expensive one is north of 500k gold. you could buy 2-3 of the gold sink mounts from prior expansions for all of your characters on a server and still come out ahead of buying a just one of the most expensive panthers.

edit: actually, looks like the jeweled onyx is ~2mil gold. so you can buy every gold sink mount for all 10/11 character slots and come out ahead.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
quite a few do already. but think how little 10-20k gold is in cata's economy. then imagine what it will be like in MoP. these mounts are meant as gold sinks, they're going to be cheap enough next expansion without also being applied account wide.

going by the (possibly incorrect,) numbers for the panthers in MoP, the cost for the most expensive one is north of 500k gold. you could buy 2-3 of the gold sink mounts from prior expansions for all of your characters on a server and still come out ahead of buying a just one of the most expensive panthers.

edit: actually, looks like the jeweled onyx is ~2mil gold. so you can buy every gold sink mount for all 10/11 character slots and come out ahead.

I don't think insane people are a good measure.

Fuck me, I have no idea how to make gold in WoW. On top of that I spend like crazy doing regems, reforges, respecs, enchants, transmog, mounts, professions and other nonsense so I never have more than like 20K.

Naka

I don't think insane people are a good measure.

Agreed...

What proof do you have that "quite a few do already"? I'm sure you're right that gold will be even more plentiful in MoP, but as of right now I don't have the kind of disposable income to put those mounts on all my characters. And by your logic if 10-20k gold is going to be minor come MoP how exactly are these Cata and Wrath mounts still considered a gold sink compared to a mount that is 500k in mats?

Angry Grimace

Agreed...

What proof do you have that "quite a few do already"? I'm sure you're right that gold will be even more plentiful in MoP, but as of right now I don't have the kind of disposable income to put those mounts on all my characters. And by your logic if 10-20k gold is going to be minor come MoP how exactly are these Cata and Wrath mounts still considered a gold sink compared to a mount that is 500k in mats?

There are several people with a million gold, but that's a super tiny minority of people who only play the game to be AH Barons.

TheYanger

Oh god so much to read now...
Hmm, that mount list isn't TOO surprising aside from the gladiator mounts, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to show your achievement off from any toon (I can do it with my raiding mounts, I'd be annoyed as a PVPer since so many hardcore arena players have various glad titles on multiple toons because of comp requirements). The crafted mounts I kind of get, it preserves some of their sellability if people need to keep buying them ( though I don't think many will, but w/e). Can still use my crusader's warhorses accross characters so I'm gtg :D

idlewild_

I'm sure you're right that gold will be even more plentiful in MoP, but as of right now I don't have the kind of disposable income to put those mounts on all my characters. And by your logic if 10-20k gold is going to be minor come MoP how exactly are these Cata and Wrath mounts still considered a gold sink compared to a mount that is 500k in mats?

10-20k is minor, 100-200k to have them on all your toons is not...for most people at least, especially if you play on multiple servers. I'm not even sure what's being argued at this point, it's pretty clear from the mount list that blizzard intends to keep the "high-cost mounts" intact and/or preserve them as a source of income for the professions.

ampere

There are several people with a million gold, but that's a super tiny minority of people who only play the game to be AH Barons.

AH barons might be rich, but I think the richest players in the game are top raiding guild players who clear content in the first month and sell runs, gear and mounts. I've seen some people charging 250k gold for the rag or deathwing mount, and they can sell that every week if they find a buyer.

Naka

10-20k is minor, 100-200k to have them on all your toons is not...for most people at least, especially if you play on multiple servers. I'm not even sure what's being argued at this point, it's pretty clear from the mount list that blizzard intends to keep the "high-cost mounts" intact and/or preserve them as a source of income for the professions.

I was mostly arguing that come MoP they won't be as much of a gold sink anymore, especially with the newer mounts.

TheYanger

AH barons might be rich, but I think the richest players in the game are top raiding guild players who clear content in the first month and sell runs, gear and mounts. I've seen some people charging 250k gold for the rag or deathwing mount, and they can sell that every week if they find a buyer.

You have to split it many ways ;) It's good for the guild bank though for sure. Blood legion does both gold and real money like a dozen times or more a week, your average guild sells far less. That being said it definitely doesn't hurt. I know we've got probably a dozen players in my guild with over a million gold. And I have no clue what the guild bank sits at (which is where 25 man sale profits go, which in turn funds everything for the next xpac). Individually though people that are rich are definitely all AH barons.

I made quite a bit more than I started out with in late Wrath doing ICC GDKP runs, never having been much of an AH baron then. Certainly gave me a lot of the seed money I needed to be successful with Cataclysm industry.

GDKPs were pretty much great from every angle. I probably wouldn't have a Shadow's Edge if I hadn't done them (got the bloods on a low-ball bid - no one else wanted them.) Sad that the single lockout pretty much effectively killed them.

Which reminds me - I really should work on finishing Shadowmourne sometime during Mists. Getting a Legendary weapon in WoW is one of the goals I think every player aspires to do - even if it's outdated (I'd still like the Blades of Azzinoth as well.) I could do it with GAF people too, due to cross-realm raiding now!

Angry Grimace

That isn't even close to what AH Barons make.

Tamanon

Banned
I hover around $4k between characters because I keep releveling alts as I get near 85. Buckling down dammit before MoP hits. Going to get my pally tank/healer to 85 and run some heroics/raids at least. My WoW cycle is weird. Raided through the beginning of BWL(including MC/AQ20/ZG) of Vanilla, raided Karazhan only in BC, raided through most of Lich King and nothing thus far.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Level 90 got activated on the beta earlier. From general chat, it also looks like heroic dungeons were activated.

The "capitals" in Mists are neat, and very beautiful, but kind of underwhelming. I thought they would be a bit bigger. They're pretty small for something that's going to be a hub for possibly hundreds (thousands?) of players at a time, what with AHs included. I can see the main capitals still being popular as the banks and auction houses are much closer together there, or in places like Thunder Bluff/Undercity. Especially if using an alt to manage your auctions.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Wait, glad mounts aren't account wide? I don't even have them, but thats pretty fucking lame.

I agree that this is pretty stupid. Like Yanger said above, a lot of people that would have the Glad mounts are FOTM rerollers every season so it really sucks for them.

if I could ask them anything, it would be related to those damn character models. I remember people talking about updates to them in beta. that was 2004.

nobody questions the enviroments. but serious character race updates.

Rokam

if I could ask them anything, it would be related to those damn character models. I remember people talking about updates to them in beta. that was 2004.

nobody questions the enviroments. but serious character race updates.

You're in luck they've answered it already. More than likely the new dwarf models could have been done by MoP release, but they're waiting to release all models together.

Having pretty much gotten my fill of Diablo for now, I actually got a hankering to play some wow earlier today. After looking a bit, it looks like there's still no new content from when I left. And that was.. quite a while ago. Thought I'd give the MoP beta I try, when I suddenly remembered that the beta isn't the ptr. I have no idea why I just thought I'd be randomly invited if I checked.

J-Roderton

Just started playing a good bit of PvP. Is hitting "H" and going into a random BG not the same as a rated BG? My battlenet toon page has zero stats for me under PvP and I've already played most of the maps, but there is nothing there for me.

Proc

Re-subbed because Diablo 3 got me into the mood to playing an mmo again. I never fought deathwing so I decided to pug it tonight. I tanked him sucessfully after a couple wipes. So much fun. I'm glad I re-subbed. I guess I'll go back and see the other raid content I never saw.

ampere

Just started playing a good bit of PvP. Is hitting "H" and going into a random BG not the same as a rated BG? My battlenet toon page has zero stats for me under PvP and I've already played most of the maps, but there is nothing there for me.
Rated BGs are different, you have to queue with a group of 10. You don't have a rating for random BGs.

It never fails every time a new exp comes out I get sucked right back in, I stopped playing when they release the Firelands phasing patch. So tell me fellow hunters/paladins anything new with the classes? And should I get a friend to send me a Scroll?

I hit 85 on my Shaman yesterday and in 5 hours I have lvl 355 gear thanks to Justice Points from 80-85 and AV weekend grinding. I'm pretty happy overall, but I'm a far cry from where I want him to eventually be. Great start though.

If my goal was just to make money and not make armor for myself (I'm a Priest), should I put my Skinning materials on the AH or use them in Leatherworking and sell the Leather armor in the AH?

Basically, which would be more profitable?

If my goal was just to make money and not make armor for myself (I'm a Priest), should I put my Skinning materials on the AH or use them in Leatherworking and sell the Leather armor in the AH?

Basically, which would be more profitable?

Depends on a lot of things. Server, how recent the latest patch (with new recipes?) was, etc.

I couldn't just tell you off the cuff.

The Undermine Journal is a very useful tool that not many seem to know about which provides AH statistics. You can browse around there and get a good idea for pricing mats like you mentioned, as well as gathering necessary info for other market strategies.

As I sort of talked about before with the Elementium Shuffle, I'll make a more full guide for AH Baroning come Mists release. I'm not playing right now, but even without in-game knowledge, I can tell you that all the markets are very stagnant right now.

Alex

Fuck me, I have no idea how to make gold in WoW. On top of that I spend like crazy doing regems, reforges, respecs, enchants, transmog, mounts, professions and other nonsense so I never have more than like 20K.

Wait until the expansion then abuse herb prices on the AH. I made my (probably now mediocre, havent played in ages) fortune at the Cataclysm launch doing that, people paid me insane amounts of money for Veil especially. It's probably either that or botting, nowadays, nothing else makes you any money unless you want to do tedious daily quests that net you pocket change.

If they'd squash the bots the economy would probably be a lot better though, when I left things were always at slave labor prices from the same few people listing 40 stacks at a time, yeah that ain't suspicious.

Also, I'm pretty amazed this expansion doesn't even have a date yet. So much for getting content out faster, even I fell for that one (AGAIN). I figured it'd be out by June. But this is why they so badly need more renewable stuff and less one and done dungeons. Stupid gigantic game folder with one gig of useful content at any given time and 30 some odd of rot.

At the pace the beta is going, I'm expecting October.

I think September/October is a good bet. Later than that and it'd feel pretty late, considering 4.3 was December (they really need to stop with this shit though and just have a Sunwell Patch in some form in the pipeline when working on expansions.) Earlier - I would be happy for, but it would be unexpected. I wouldn't expect any earlier than August.

I'll have to look back through some of the older predictions I made in this thread when we do finally get a date.

So I've been digging a lot and I finally drew the line this week and said... if I don't get my Crawling Claw by 175 Tol'Vir solves, I'm just going to retire from archy for a while and go focus on my Loremaster.

What pops up after I solve my 175th? The Claw. Hell yes!

Enosh

Probably two of the easier achievements to get post 4.3, but I can never find a group to run it with me.
hah no
probably the hardest Ulduar achievements, outside of maybe disarmed

well the dwarf one isn't hard, it's just annoying as fuck, since you need to get them to below 13k hp, but everyone hits so hard in cata gear it's easy to kill them

I suggest the melee dps gets some lvl 80 main hands and casters afk or something

And people still don't know what the fuck to do on the last boss (well I didn't either until about 3 days ago when I got my rusted pro drake ^^)
need to do 25 man one day since the blue one looks better -.-

J-Roderton

Any of you fellow hunters been able to tame Gezzarak the Huntress? It's a "rare" pet that you fight in a quest but ends up being tamable. I've never quested in Outlands so I'm not sure what quests to get into to find this guy.

Top Bottom